inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nintendo vs. Sega console war

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/16/14 at 11:48 am

In 1990 since the SNES didn't exist yet, Sega Genesis was able to ridicule the NES with the blast processing, the 16 bit graphics and it's famous commercial. Because of that Nintendo decided to fire back with announcing the release of the SNES next year. To counter them, Sega released its mascot first game titled Sonic the hedgehog 2 months before Nintendo released the SNES. From there on out, it became the biggest console war in gaming history with 2 major mascots battling each other for best games, graphics, and gameplay.

Who do you all think won the console war during the first half of the 90s?

Subject: Re: Nintendo vs. Sega console war

Written By: popguru85 on 10/16/14 at 12:14 pm

There's a really good book out in stores called Console Wars that primarily describes this. it's a highly recommended read.

I personally think Super Nintendo won because they had better graphics and sound in a majority of games. I was lucky enough to have both systems so I got the best of both

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/16/14 at 1:48 pm

There's a really good book out in stores called Console Wars that primarily describes this. it's a highly recommended read.

I personally think Super Nintendo won because they had better graphics and sound in a majority of games. I was lucky enough to have both systems so I got the best of both
Same here.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/14 at 2:34 pm

I would think Sega won because Nintendo was getting a cooling off period during the early 1990's because of The Gameboy.

Written By: popguru85 on 10/16/14 at 9:22 pm

I would think Sega won because Nintendo was getting a cooling off period during the early 1990's because of The Gameboy.

They won in 1991-1993, But the Sega CD and Sega 32X never caught on like. From 1993 on the SNES had MK II (better graphics and sound), Donkey Kong Country, Link To The Past, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy III, Super Mario All Stars, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Earthbound.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/17/14 at 7:46 am

In 1990 since the SNES didn't exist yet, Sega Genesis was able to ridicule the NES with the blast processing, the 16 bit graphics and it's famous commercial. Because of that Nintendo decided to fire back with announcing the release of the SNES next year. To counter them, Sega released its mascot first game titled Sonic the hedgehog 2 months before Nintendo released the SNES. From there on out, it became the biggest console war in gaming history with 2 major mascots battling each other for best games, graphics, and gameplay.

Who do you all think won the console war during the first half of the 90s?

Actually, Sega ridiculed the SUPER NES for the blast processing, during the earlier "Genesis Does" campaign, it ripped of the more obvious faults, mostly the increased graphics and the fact that its 16-bit. Then Sega decided to go a bit too far, first with the Sega CD, the 32X, and finally the Saturn which lead to Sega nearly dieing until one last comeback with the Dreamcast, until ultimately PS2 ended Sega's tenure with the console business. I'd say Sega had a pluarity in market share at most, as there were many great SNES games to counter it, and during that early period, the NES still was releasing great late-period games like Mega Man 3, SMB3, Battletoads, the second TMNT game, sequels to other popular series like Castlevania, and knew that "why buy another console when you already have one that works well?" Nintendo knew when to make the jump to 16-bit.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/14 at 8:19 am

They won in 1991-1993, But the Sega CD and Sega 32X never caught on like. From 1993 on the SNES had MK II (better graphics and sound), Donkey Kong Country, Link To The Past, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy III, Super Mario All Stars, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Earthbound.

So who sold more Sega or Nintendo during the 90's?

Written By: popguru85 on 10/17/14 at 3:04 pm

So who sold more Sega or Nintendo during the 90's?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/03/20/genesis-vs-snes-by-the-numbers

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/17/14 at 7:09 pm

Actually, Sega ridiculed the SUPER NES for the blast processing, during the earlier "Genesis Does" campaign, it ripped of the more obvious faults, mostly the increased graphics and the fact that its 16-bit. Then Sega decided to go a bit too far, first with the Sega CD, the 32X, and finally the Saturn which lead to Sega nearly dieing until one last comeback with the Dreamcast, until ultimately PS2 ended Sega's tenure with the console business. I'd say Sega had a pluarity in market share at most, as there were many great SNES games to counter it, and during that early period, the NES still was releasing great late-period games like Mega Man 3, SMB3, Battletoads, the second TMNT game, sequels to other popular series like Castlevania, and knew that "why buy another console when you already have one that works well?" Nintendo knew when to make the jump to 16-bit.
From this. it sounds like Nintendo planned ahead well during the 90s while Sega didnt.

Oh another thing, have you played Star Trek: DS9? Its sounds way better on the SNES than the Genesis.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/14 at 6:54 am

Would you put The Gameboy in this category since Gameboy came out in 1989 and it didn't sell until the early 1990's?

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/18/14 at 7:20 am

Would you put The Gameboy in this category since Gameboy came out in 1989 and it didn't sell until the early 1990's?

Gameboy is a Nintendo brand though. I knew way more people who had Gameboys than Sega's handheld. Actually, I don't recall anyone who had Game Gear.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/14 at 8:08 am

Gameboy is a Nintendo brand though. I knew way more people who had Gameboys than Sega's handheld. Actually, I don't recall anyone who had Game Gear.

I had Gameboy.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/19/14 at 1:54 pm

I had Gameboy.

I had a gamegear and it kept dying too quickly; however, I did have a NFL game and others and it was fun to play.

Written By: Howard on 10/19/14 at 2:49 pm

I had a gamegear and it kept dying too quickly; however, I did have a NFL game and others and it was fun to play.

What games did you have for Gamegear? ???

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/20/14 at 7:00 am

I probably had around a dozen Game Gear games, including the first two Sonic games (interesting that they are similar to the Sega Master System versions), Sonic Triple Trouble, Columns (take that, Tetris!), a few sports games, and Power Rangers: The Movie. It soon became the "have an AC adapter around" system. At least you didn't need to carry around a TV, and still had graphics that Nintendo couldn't match or beat until 2001 with GBA. But if I didn't have an AC adapter, I would have easily sacrificed graphics for gameplay with the Game Boy, which had much more variety.

This IMO was Sega's best ad to rip off of the Game Boy:
7NuBVcCGd6c (Note this commercial is actually from 1993 or 1994 due to the GA rating present).

Written By: Howard on 10/20/14 at 2:35 pm

For my Gameboy I had a couple of wrestling games, a few action games and some fun games too. I continued to buy Gameboy games up until 1995 and that was it, Gameboy must've faded out cause I hardly didn't see any games for Gameboy after that year.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/21/14 at 4:55 am

a few sonic games, NFL, Jurassic Park, ecco the dolphin,  and the lion king. However,  I haven't played it in a long time because I don't actually have it anymore.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/24/14 at 10:50 pm

My lord, that run of SNES games in the mid '90s is just unbelievable. I'm a big RPG guy, and the fact that Final Fantasy VI (FFIII in the U.S.), Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Earthbound and Super Mario RPG were all released in a 24 month period is truly hard to fathom by today's standards. I was also one of the lucky kids that had both a Genesis and an SNES, but there was never any doubt to me, even back then, that the SNES had the superior library of games. Nintendo actually wound up having a pretty secure victory over Sega when the 16-bit wars were all said and done (49 million to 40 according to Wiki), and I think the stacked release line-up of 1994 and 1995 is the biggest reason why.

On that same note, I've always felt that the Sega CD and 32X both played a very important role in Sega's eventual downfall in the hardware market. The CD, 32X and Saturn were all released within a relatively small time frame, meaning that (counting the Genesis itself) Sega had FOUR different pieces of hardware competing with each other simultaneously. Talk about market saturation!

Written By: popguru85 on 10/26/14 at 9:07 pm

Sega was also supporting 2 Handhelds (Game Gear & Nomad) along with the Master System in certain parts of the world (Brazil,Europe, etc.) they were spread so thin by the time Dreamcast came out in 1999. When Sony announced the more powerful PS2 in 2000, Sega's days as a hardware maker were numbered.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/14 at 2:27 pm

When Sony announced the more powerful PS2 in 2000, Sega's days as a hardware maker were numbered.

I used to have a PS2.

Check for new replies or respond here...