inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did you first hear about Starbucks?

Written By: winteriscoming on 11/13/14 at 10:37 pm

Starbucks stores weren't really very widespread outside of a few markets until maybe 1995 or so, though one could mail-order the coffee throughout the States as early as 1988. In 1990 Starbucks only existed in Seattle, Vancouver BC, Portland and Chicago and they only made about a million dollars worth of profit. And that was the first year they made any money at all after expanding out of Seattle, to give you an idea of how obscure the chain was prior to the mid '90s.

When did you first hear about Starbucks' existence or try their coffee? I think for me it was around 1996 going there with my mom (who didn't allow me to drink coffee lol), I remember how innovative and unusual they were for the time. Definitely not like now where Starbucks and similar shops are just as much a fact of life as fast food.

Subject: Re: When did you first hear about Starbucks?

Written By: nally on 11/13/14 at 10:41 pm

Interesting you should ask this; I was discussing it with my family a few days ago. The earliest time I can remember seeing a Starbucks establishment near me was probably no later than 1995. (I don't remember specifically, but I know that I was going to them around that time.) This was in southern California. I was in my teens at the time, and only got the iced frappuccino drinks at first.

Written By: winteriscoming on 11/13/14 at 10:47 pm

Interesting you should ask this; I was discussing it with my family a few days ago. The earliest time I can remember seeing a Starbucks establishment near me was probably no later than 1995. (I don't remember specifically, but I know that I was going to them around that time.) This was in southern California. I was in my teens at the time, and only got the iced frappuccino drinks at first.

Yeah the first Starbucks in SoCal opened in 1991. I heard a lot of Hollywood stars dug it back then way before most people even knew what it was, Paula Abdul being one of them.

Written By: Arrowstone on 11/14/14 at 6:13 am

2007 when they came to The Netherlands. Only went there once,
prefer to make my coffee at home; almost free, and how I want it.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/14/14 at 6:52 am

Here on the east coast, I didn't really hear about Starbucks until sometime around 2000 or so, even if around for several years in my region since I grew up far from a Starbucks. The '90s was just Dunkin' Donuts dominated with more mom-and-pop places, and people would still just go to McDonald's/Wendy's/Burger King as their primary coffee source.

Written By: Howard on 11/14/14 at 7:13 am

I didn't hear about Starbucks until the early 1990's, I looked at their coffee menu and I couldn't believe how anyone could pay 2 or 3 dollars for a large coffee so I wound up getting the small one instead. But drinking it was just so bitter, I don't think I'll ever go back there again, it's Dunkin Donuts for me all the way.

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/14/14 at 11:55 am

I didn't know about Starbucks in the '90s. I first heard about it around 2005.

Written By: Howard on 11/14/14 at 12:32 pm

Who drinks Starbucks and what's your favorite flavor?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/14 at 5:26 am

http://logoness.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/starbucks-sucks-logo-on-delivery-van.jpg

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/04/14 at 6:04 am

The first Starbucks in Germany opened in 2002, but that was in Berlin and I haven't been there at that time. As a German, the first time I have heard about Starbucks was in October 2006 when I was in the US for the first time (New York City). It was around at so many places that you couldn't miss it. I think it really became popular in Europe in the late 00s. Until now, I have been to several Starbucks stores in Europe and North America -

I am collecting the City Mugs. At this point, I have a mug from:

-Berlin
-Hannover
-Cologne
-Munich
-Leipzig
-Paris
-London
-San Francisco
-Los Angeles
-Las Vegas
-Seattle
-Vancouver
-Canada

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/04/14 at 6:07 am

Who drinks Starbucks and what's your favorite flavor?

When I was working in Vancouver earlier this year, I had a normal Starbucks coffee every day.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/14 at 2:21 pm

http://logoness.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/starbucks-sucks-logo-on-delivery-van.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/140210091812-dumb-starbucks-coffee-620xa.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/04/14 at 2:23 pm

When I was working in Vancouver earlier this year, I had a normal Starbucks coffee every day.

when I used to go there, it was always a regular coffee and without their fancy flavors.

Written By: winteriscoming on 12/05/14 at 3:38 am

Were you there in January? I was, I was staying with a friend who lives near Denman Street. I wonder if you saw me!  :o

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/05/14 at 4:46 am

Were you there in January? I was, I was staying with a friend who lives near Denman Street. I wonder if you saw me!  :o

No, unfortunately not. I was there from April-July. My favorite Starbucks was on Water Street near my workplace.

Written By: Howard on 12/05/14 at 7:46 am

http://globalassets.starbucks.com/assets/af5b7b075f984181ba7383375a27e3bc.png

When did you first hear about the Starbucks drinks? ↑

Written By: winteriscoming on 12/05/14 at 6:37 pm

No, unfortunately not. I was there from April-July. My favorite Starbucks was on Water Street near my workplace.

Oh yeah, Gastown. Nice area. I was going to visit there last month but unfortunately the guards were rude and told me I had to go back to the United States when I was crossing the border.  >:(

Written By: Vance Jacobsen on 12/05/14 at 11:42 pm

1.) I heard about Starbucks for the first time in the summer of 1999 .
2.) I have never been much of a coffee drinker and maybe had Starbucks twice.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/14 at 6:50 am

Oh yeah, Gastown. Nice area. I was going to visit there last month but unfortunately the guards were rude and told me I had to go back to the United States when I was crossing the border.  >:(

Did you do anything illegal?  ???

Written By: Katluver on 12/09/14 at 2:06 pm

;D

Written By: Katluver on 12/09/14 at 2:08 pm

You were living in Vancouver?! I live in Victoria---just a 100-minute ferry ride away!

Written By: Katluver on 12/09/14 at 2:13 pm

I think Starbucks came to Canada when our Chapters' stores (equivalent to Barnes and Nobles) arrived. Might have been earlier out west or Toronto, but I believe that's when they arrived in our nation's capital. Anyway, I think the first time I heard anything about Starbucks was when they were playing "Moonlight Feels Right" by Starbuck so the dj made a reference to Starbucks when the song was over. I believe that incident happened in the Fall of '97. Made my first visit on January of '98.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/14 at 2:14 pm

When I first heard about Starbucks, I always wanted to try their coffees. But as I looked at their prices I couldn't believe anybody would pay $2 for a small and a large would be $5, so I chose the small.

Written By: winteriscoming on 12/09/14 at 8:30 pm

You were living in Vancouver?! I live in Victoria---just a 100-minute ferry ride away!

It's a beautiful cruise through those islands and over the channel!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/10/14 at 1:02 am

You were living in Vancouver?! I live in Victoria

Yes, for three months. I have been to the nice city of Victoria aswell in late June this year - for 1 night.

Written By: Katluver on 12/10/14 at 3:28 am

Yes, for three months. I have been to the nice city of Victoria aswell in late June this year - for 1 night.

Hmmm, I was probably in town when you visited. I think I went to Vancouver as well during the time you were there.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 12/15/14 at 4:15 am

First time I heard of Starbucks was in 1998.  I saw my first one in Minneapolis later that year.  I want to say it was in the Mall of America, but I'm not sure about that.  I don't drink coffee, so I didn't actually order anything from there.

It wasn't until about a year ago I finally got some tea and a scone from a Starbucks in Barnes & Noble.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 12/19/14 at 3:49 am

I didn't know about Starbucks in the '90s. I first heard about it around 2005.

Same here, it didn't get focus till the 00' came around, don't know exactly when it established it, and its dumb cup sizing in Louisville KY.

Written By: GH1996 on 01/08/15 at 4:11 am

I'm in vancouver!

Check for new replies or respond here...