inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Grunge fondly remembered?

Written By: joeman on 01/06/15 at 10:20 pm

I don't know, there hasn't been a huge 90s revival like the 80s revival 10 years ago.  Most of the 90s revivalism, imo, revolves around films and music that wasn't linked to Grunge and Generation X.

With that said, do you believe that the general public looks at Grunge fondly?  It seems like in the last decade people still listening to it, but now people are distantly moving away from it.  I know Foo Fighters came out with a new song, but it now sounds like just plain ol' Rock and Roll.

Subject: Re: Is Grunge fondly remembered?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/07/15 at 9:51 am

I don't know, there hasn't been a huge 90s revival like the 80s rivival 10 years ago.  Most of the 90s revivalism, imo, revolves around films and music that wasn't linked to Grunge and Generation X.

With that said, do you believe that the general public looks at Grunge fondly?  It seems like in the last decade people still listening to it, but now people are distantly moving away from it.  I know Foo Fighters came out with a new song, but it now sounds like just plain ol' Rock and Roll.

It's hard for people to be nostalgic for grunge when post-grunge lasted until 2010.

Written By: joeman on 01/07/15 at 10:09 am

It's hard for people to be nostalgic for grunge when post-grunge lasted until 2010.

I agree, but couldn't say the nature of grunge, which was pretty sad and angsty, is making people not revive it?  Maybe in 10 years if general public wants that type of music back then I could see a revival.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/10/15 at 5:56 pm

Even though it's true there hasn't been any major type of Grunge revival, I would still say that Grunge is fondly remembered, but that the nostalgia is mostly focused on the "Big 4" bands (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and AiC). It' the later "Bubble-Grunge" groups like Bush and Live that get the short end of the stick.

I remember back in 2011 that the 20th anniversary of "Nevermind" got hyped to the moon. One show even went and dug up the now grown-up "Nirvana Baby" for an interview.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/11/15 at 6:18 am

IMO too many rock bands are being called "post grunge," which seems to be synonymous with "alternative." I honestly don't hear the grunge influence in most of them.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/11/15 at 7:59 am

Fondly forgotten!

I haven't forgotten it, but I was too young to know it in it's heyday. It has however been held onto for too long. I doubt there will be a revival of that music style.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/12/15 at 8:01 am

It seems that the nostalgia of the '90s so far is less music-based and more TV/film/video game-based, with a side of fashion. For some reason many people didn't appreciate the '90s as much as previous decades with regards to music. Just search online for some old Usenet posts from that decade and you'll see what I mean. By the '90s, so many people were "stuck in the past" with regards to music, listening to oldies, classic rock, or other stations that don't primarily focus on the present. In a way it's similar to how people fondly remember Punk in the '70s; AM stations never played them but a nice cult following enjoyed it, and Grunge reflects the same thing. They both evolved into something more radio-friendly: New Wave for Punk and Post-Grunge for Grunge. At the time when I was little, I was aware of Smells Like Teen Spirit sometimes playing on MTV or VH1 and maybe seeing a few other songs at a certain hour, but I see the '90s as a hip-hop/modern R&B/some dance pop with some adult contemporary ballads.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/12/15 at 7:02 pm

It seems that the nostalgia of the '90s so far is less music-based and more TV/film/video game-based, with a side of fashion. For some reason many people didn't appreciate the '90s as much as previous decades with regards to music. Just search online for some old Usenet posts from that decade and you'll see what I mean. By the '90s, so many people were "stuck in the past" with regards to music, listening to oldies, classic rock, or other stations that don't primarily focus on the present. In a way it's similar to how people fondly remember Punk in the '70s; AM stations never played them but a nice cult following enjoyed it, and Grunge reflects the same thing. They both evolved into something more radio-friendly: New Wave for Punk and Post-Grunge for Grunge. At the time when I was little, I was aware of Smells Like Teen Spirit sometimes playing on MTV or VH1 and maybe seeing a few other songs at a certain hour, but I see the '90s as a hip-hop/modern R&B/some dance pop with some adult contemporary ballads.

I see what you mean. The same happened with the 00s and people are all over 90s music now as if it was appreciated back then as it is now. Its hilarious how time away makes the heart grow fonder.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/12/15 at 7:13 pm

But the 90's had a wide variety of music! To associate it so heavily with grunge is unfair. There was club music, R&B, different styles of rap, singer/songwriters, and at the end teen pop. It was a very good decade for music, not so much now.

Written By: joeman on 01/13/15 at 7:06 am

I agree.  I would argue that 80s music didn't really die off in the 90s until 95/96.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/13/15 at 3:02 pm

I agree.  I would argue that 80s music didn't really die off in the 90s until 95/96.

It was played on the radio alot up until 1997 over here. The 80's/90's mix was popular.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/13/15 at 10:40 pm

Even though it's true there hasn't been any major type of Grunge revival, I would still say that Grunge is fondly remembered, but that the nostalgia is mostly focused on the "Big 4" bands (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and AiC). It' the later "Bubble-Grunge" groups like Bush and Live that get the short end of the stick.

I remember back in 2011 that the 20th anniversary of "Nevermind" got hyped to the moon. One show even went and dug up the now grown-up "Nirvana Baby" for an interview.

These are the bands that you mentioned that I like. Alice in Chains sucks, and Nirvana is overrated.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/26/15 at 6:16 pm

80s music died off long before then. 1993 was first true year of the 1990s.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/26/15 at 6:20 pm

Grunge should be forgotten, but Pearl Jam shirts are still sold in some stores like its 1994. I can tolerate "Smells Like Teen Spirit", but MTV went overboard with all of those grunge music videos.

Written By: XYkid on 01/28/15 at 3:31 pm

Why are so many people on this site so anti-grunge?

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/28/15 at 4:29 pm

I love grunge!  :)

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/28/15 at 4:47 pm

We hate depressing music. Sometimes life is sad enough.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/28/15 at 6:06 pm

I'm not, but I'm against the idea grunge was be all-end all in music of the 90's when there was so much variety.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/28/15 at 8:06 pm

I'm not, but I'm against the idea grunge was be all-end all in music of the 90's when there was so much variety.

It's hard for a lot of people to overlook Clinton's first term whenever the 90s come up in conversation. Grunge overshadowed every other music movement from late in 1991 to 1997. My peers were not wearing flannel and Nirvana concert shirts until sometime in the fall of 1994. Grunge first cemented its place in pop culture history when Director Cameron Crowe released "Singles" in late '92. Starbucks' Coffee blew up one year later. On the day "My So Called Life" premiered on ABC, it became apparent that Grunge was more than just fad. Interestingly, the Grunge on film period ended with "Hype!" (a documentary)  showing in theaters. With all of that said, you cannot deny Grunge was the rock music of the 90s and it was so much more than an art form.

I still don't like the Seattle sound any more now than I did then.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/29/15 at 11:22 am

I think this is key.  While I liked post-grunge, it overstayed its welcome by several years.  I think there is definitely a 90s revival going on, but grunge is notably absent.  The revival is centered around things that were popular for Millennials in the 90s during their childhoods, not GenX fads.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/29/15 at 12:28 pm

I think this is key.  While I liked post-grunge, it overstayed its welcome by several years.  I think there is definitely a 90s revival going on, but grunge is notably absent.  The revival is centered around things that were popular for Millennials in the 90s during their childhoods, not GenX fads.

I don't think it is happening, but gosh I hope not. Generation X had way better taste than Generation Y. Millennials were the ones who popularized low-rise jeans, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, southern hip-hop (not even a '90s thing), and teen pop. Yeah, pretty much all of the things I hate.

I want a Generation X pop culture revival!

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/29/15 at 12:32 pm

Grunge overshadowed every other music movement from late in 1991 to 1997.

Overshadow, it did not. Definitely up through 1995, but 1996 through about 1999/2000-ish there was just a type of standard alternative pop-rock. Bands such as Garbage and Third Eye Blind are definitely not grunge. Hip-hop and R&B were both bigger than Grunge and had the most successful hits of the decades. Grunge never even had a #1 hit. Devoted following, yes, but dominating the mainstream, it did not.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/29/15 at 1:01 pm

Overshadow, it did not. Definitely up through 1995, but 1996 through about 1999/2000-ish there was just a type of standard alternative pop-rock. Bands such as Garbage and Third Eye Blind are definitely not grunge. Hip-hop and R&B were both bigger than Grunge and had the most successful hits of the decades. Grunge never even had a #1 hit. Devoted following, yes, but dominating the mainstream, it did not.

Nevermind stayed in the no. 1 slot for weeks  on Billboard's album chart.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/29/15 at 1:02 pm

Generation X had way better taste than Generation Y.

True.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/29/15 at 1:42 pm

The 90s was a very diverse decade for music.  I don't consider grunge to be the be-all-end-all of 90s music but it played a significant part.  When I think of the mid-90s, I think of euro-dance and hip-hop just as much as I do grunge. 

Written By: Howard on 01/29/15 at 2:26 pm

We hate depressing music. Sometimes life is sad enough.

I agree but sometimes people like depressing music.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/29/15 at 7:06 pm

I don't think it is happening, but gosh I hope not. Generation X had way better taste than Generation Y. Millennials were the ones who popularized low-rise jeans, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, southern hip-hop (not even a '90s thing), and teen pop. Yeah, pretty much all of the things I hate.

The media dictates what's good and when something is everywhere it gets the most attention. Bubblegum pop was never a first choice with me, but I don't think 2000's rap was bad. At least 2000's music didn't sound robotic like now.  8-P A late 90's fashion revival would be sweet, especially for the jewelry. I'd certainly wear a dolphin moon necklace again or something with a Chinese dragon on it.  :P Well, the necklace I can probably find at county fairs.

The 90s was a very diverse decade for music.  I don't consider grunge to be the be-all-end-all of 90s music but it played a significant part.  When I think of the mid-90s, I think of euro-dance and hip-hop just as much as I do grunge.

Euro dance is the one I most fondly remember! It was fun music.

Garbage, Third Eye Blind, Matchbox 20, Eve 6 to add a couple more. I was 11, and liked those bands. Savage Garden was more poppy, but still along those lines. I could see them as being big with teenagers, yet not something older people just couldn't get into as with bubblegum pop.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/29/15 at 10:30 pm

I'm not, but I don't think it's as great as the media says it is either. Nirvana is overrated.

A late 90's fashion revival would be sweet

That would be pretty awesome, but we have to wait a couple more years for that to happen. I want a mid '90s fashion revival. My favorite mid '90s look on girls is the '60s revival miniskirt and gogo boots combo. Totally 1996! You can see endless examples of it on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, seasons 1 and 2.

The earliest I can find that look being popular is mid-late 1995. Season two of Friends is a good indication of this. Since fashion goes in 20 year cycles, that look might come back this year. We'll have to wait  until February for the Women's Fall/Winter 2015-2016 Fashion Shows to take place before we can find that out.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/30/15 at 5:26 pm

Please tell me I'm not the only person who is sick to death of this stupid '90s craze. Jesus Christ, give it a damn rest already!

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/30/15 at 5:42 pm

I'm not, but I don't think it's as great as the media says it is either. Nirvana is overrated.

That would be pretty awesome, but we have to wait a couple more years for that to happen. I want a mid '90s fashion revival. My favorite mid '90s look on girls is the '60s revival miniskirt and gogo boots combo. Totally 1996! You can see endless examples of it on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, seasons 1 and 2.

The earliest I can find that look being popular is mid-late 1995. Season two of Friends is a good indication of this. Since fashion goes in 20 year cycles, that look might come back this year. We'll have to wait  until February for the Women's Fall/Winter 2015-2016 Fashion Shows to take place before we can find that out.

Just minus the mom jeans of course!  8-P I want to see some of the dresses make a comeback and metallics. Those boots were cute too, now it's all about leather which is always perfect for boots. I wish there'd be stores like Gadzooks again too.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/30/15 at 8:08 pm

Please tell me I'm not the only person who is sick to death of this stupid '90s craze. Jesus Christ, give it a damn rest already!

You're not, trust me. I am too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/30/15 at 8:24 pm

I think the reasons are that because some people have abused the 90s nostalgia such as telling other decade childhoods that they suck; the revival consists of people who were kids and in elementary during that decade and not the people who were actually in middle school/high school; On YouTube, there are 90s kid tag videos and 90s kids vs today kids videos; last, some think it was a perfect utopia.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/30/15 at 8:53 pm

Just minus the mom jeans of course!  8-P

Mom jeans weren't in style anymore by 1996, heck, even 1995. Have you seen the movie "Scream"? The main character Sidney wears jeans the entire movie. She starts off with light wash jeans and at the party she wears medium-darkish wash jeans. You probably already know this, but you see, mom jeans are puffy at the hips and thighs and tight at the ankles.

Here is the pant style of 1996:

http://buffycomicreviews.weebly.com/uploads/8/9/5/7/8957154/_158_6684870_orig.jpg?393

Going by the picture, it's along the lines of a high-waisted, thigh-hugging, straight leg pant or something. I like it, very streamlined and unextreme.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/30/15 at 10:35 pm

The revival consists of people who were kids and in elementary during that decade and not the people who were actually in middle school/high school…

That's been obvious for some time now. In the 90s, most people my age were waxing nostalgic for the 80s because we were old enough to see how the 90s had a drab and dull personality to its pop culture phenomena.

By the 90s, I'm not talking about 1990-the start of 1993, I mean 1993-1999.

The early 90s were awesome! I remember my mother coming home from JcPenney with two Hypercolor shirts for my brother and I like it was yesterday.  :D I must have seen Terminator 2 twice at the theater in my mall back in '91. I can go on forever about The Carsenio Hall sketches on SNL. How can you not look at Dana Carvey and not crack a chuckle?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/30/15 at 11:11 pm

That's been obvious for some time now. In the 90s, most people my age were waxing nostalgic for the 80s because we were old enough to see how the 90s had a drab and dull personality to its pop culture phenomena.

By the 90s, I'm not talking about 1990-the start of 1993, I mean 1993-1999.

The early 90s were awesome! I remember my mother coming home from JcPenney with two Hypercolor shirts for my brother and I like it was yesterday.  :D I must have seen Terminator 2 twice at the theater in my mall back in '91. I can go on forever about The Carsenio Hall sketches on SNL. How can you not look at Dana Carvey and not crack a chuckle?
What about those born in the 60s? Most of them were in their 20s during the 90s and the culture was targeted at them along with all those born in the 70s.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/30/15 at 11:54 pm

What about those born in the 60s? Most of them were in their 20s during the 90s and the culture was targeted at them along with all those born in the 70s.

They were going to 70s and early 80s themed parties in 1995.  :)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/31/15 at 12:10 am

They were going to 70s and early 80s themed parties in 1995.  :)
So that also means in 2000, they were going to late 80s/early 90s parties?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/31/15 at 12:33 am

So that also means in 2000, they were going to late 80s/early 90s parties?

No, people were just throwing 80s parties in 2000. I was starting to miss certain people and things from the early 90s at that time.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/31/15 at 12:48 am

No, people were just throwing 80s parties in 2000. I was starting to miss certain people and things from the early 90s at that time.
Then later on in the decade, people began throwing 90s parties.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/31/15 at 1:27 am

Then later on in the decade, people began throwing 90s parties.

I know that, thank you!

I would never attend one. What were the 90s to look back to?

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/31/15 at 7:24 am

Mom jeans weren't in style anymore by 1996, heck, even 1995. Have you seen the movie "Scream"? The main character Sidney wears jeans the entire movie. She starts off with light wash jeans and at the party she wears medium-darkish wash jeans. You probably already know this, but you see, mom jeans are puffy at the hips and thighs and tight at the ankles.

Here is the pant style of 1996:

http://buffycomicreviews.weebly.com/uploads/8/9/5/7/8957154/_158_6684870_orig.jpg?393

Going by the picture, it's along the lines of a high-waisted, thigh-hugging, straight leg pant or something. I like it, very streamlined and unextreme.

Nearly every grown woman I saw had on mom jeans. They're the most unflattering thing I know. The pants from the picture do look nice, but anything high waisted is uncomfortable especially when you have wider hips. Just something mid rise is fine, so you don't bend over and have your crack hanging out.  :o I would love to see some irridescent items come out too, but that tends to be party wear and club wear. Chunky heeled shoes or boots would look cute if done right. I just don't like the squared off kind. Courduroy should also make a comeback. I never see it now. I'd wear a jacket like that. Camo patterened pants too are hard to find unless you're a guy.

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/31/15 at 8:42 am

What about overalls? It's still cringeworthy to my taste.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/31/15 at 10:34 am

I know that, thank you!

I would never attend one. What were the 90s to look back to?
Once again, just because you never went to them didn't mean others didn't attend them. Stop generalizing. 

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/31/15 at 12:58 pm

Once again, just because you never went to them didn't mean others didn't attend them. Stop generalizing.

I NEVER SAID OTHER MEMBERS OF MY GENERATION DID NOT GO TO THEM!!!!!!

I said I would never attend one, that is all. Learn to read!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/31/15 at 2:12 pm

I NEVER SAID OTHER MEMBERS OF MY GENERATION DID NOT GO TO THEM!!!!!!

I said I would never attend one, that is all. Learn to read!
I did read it. When you said "What were the 90s to look back to?", you implied that the 90s were horrible and that lots of people in your generation wouldn't attend the parties.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/31/15 at 2:36 pm

I did read it. When you said "What were the 90s to look back to?", you implied that the 90s were horrible and that lots of people in your generation wouldn't attend the parties.

That was a simple misunderstanding, happens all the time. I was talking about myself that time. I don't see any significance in the 90s decade. Most Xers prefer the 80s to the 90s, but that doesn't mean all of them do.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/31/15 at 2:44 pm

That was a simple misunderstanding, happens all the time. I was talking about myself that time. I don't see any significance in the 90s decade. Most Xers prefer the 80s to the 90s, but that doesn't mean all of them do.
Why don't you guys like the 90s? That decade had some good moments and besides, it was still your time before the millennials took over.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/31/15 at 3:38 pm

Why don't you guys like the 90s? That decade had some good moments and besides, it was still your time before the millennials took over.

The answer to that question varies per person. I have friends who believe the 90s had no discernible identity of their own like the 80s did. I had to disagree with them on that.

Speaking for myself, I just did not like the ambiance of the true 90s (1993-1999). Not much sticks out from that time today.

In the 70s, platform shoes, wide collar shirts and polyester suits were in fashion.

In the 80s, polo shirts, Members Only jackets, Bolo ties, Parachute pants with zippers and Adidas were all the rage.

Then the early 90s came along and people were wearing Zubaz, fanny packs, Hypercolor, Guess Jeans clothing, Bugle Boy, Reebok Pumps, Hammer pants and ripped jeans.

As for the mid 90s, flannel, Tommy Hilfiger and hemp hats were trendy.

Late 90s… WWGD wristbands. That's all I can think of.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/15 at 5:53 pm

I liked the 90's.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/31/15 at 8:55 pm

The answer to that question varies per person. I have friends who believe the 90s had no discernible identity of their own like the 80s did. I had to disagree with them on that.

Speaking for myself, I just did not like the ambiance of the true 90s (1993-1999). Not much sticks out from that time today.

In the 70s, platform shoes, wide collar shirts and polyester suits were in fashion.

In the 80s, polo shirts, Members Only jackets, Bolo ties, Parachute pants with zippers and Adidas were all the rage.

Then the early 90s came along and people were wearing Zubaz, fanny packs, Hypercolor, Guess Jeans clothing, Bugle Boy, Reebok Pumps, Hammer pants and ripped jeans.

As for the mid 90s, flannel, Tommy Hilfiger and hemp hats were trendy.

Late 90s… WWGD wristbands. That's all I can think of.
What about 90s hip-hop fashion?

I liked the 90's.
Thats good.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/31/15 at 9:01 pm

I forgot all about the sagging pants. It only got worse as time went on.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/31/15 at 9:06 pm

Yes, it did. Even now, some people sag especially with skinny jeans.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/15 at 9:29 pm

According to Greg Mathis (retired Michigan 36th District Court judge and syndicated television show arbiter on the long-running reality courtroom show Judge Mathis), sagging was adopted from the United States prison system where belts are sometimes prohibited to prevent prisoners from using them as weapons or committing suicide by hanging themselves. The style was later popularized by hip-hop artists in the 1990s. It later became a symbol of freedom and cultural awareness among some youths or a symbol of their rejection of the values of mainstream society.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/15 at 10:16 pm

The Urban Dictionary states that:

"...originally meant you were gay in prison (much research into finding and confirming that) but somehow became fashionable."

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/31/15 at 11:00 pm

Here we arrive at why I wanted to travel back to 1985 in 1995. Everything fell flat in the Clinton 90s, from my perspective anyway.

In the early 90s, the hottest gear around was leather African medallions, Rhythm Nation hats, Triple Fat Goose, beepers, Champion sweaters, turtlenecks, small chains, Flava Flav clock necklaces, polka dot shirts, hoodies, name chains, small earrings to go in one ear, bamboo earrings (holdover), hoop earrings, the NWA look (including Starter Jackets), plastic chains you would get from vending machines at Wal-Mart, parka jackets, overalls with one strap down, college football team sweaters, backwards hats, Cross Colors, sneakers and hats with the tags still on and 8 ball leather jackets and Timberland boots.

All I have for the mid 90s are Carthartt jackets and Ben Davis shirts. There were probably a few more. To me, the Clinton 90s really paled in comparison to the early 90s when Bush 1 was President.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/01/15 at 9:34 am

Here we arrive at why I wanted to travel back to 1985 in 1995. Everything fell flat in the Clinton 90s, from my perspective anyway.

In the early 90s, the hottest gear around was leather African medallions, Rhythm Nation hats, Triple Fat Goose, beepers, Champion sweaters, turtlenecks, small chains, Flava Flav clock necklaces, polka dot shirts, hoodies, name chains, small earrings to go in one ear, bamboo earrings (holdover), hoop earrings, the NWA look (including Starter Jackets), plastic chains you would get from vending machines at Wal-Mart, parka jackets, overalls with one strap down, college football team sweaters, backwards hats, Cross Colors, sneakers and hats with the tags still on and 8 ball leather jackets and Timberland boots.

All I have for the mid 90s are Carthartt jackets and Ben Davis shirts. There were probably a few more. To me, the Clinton 90s really paled in comparison to the early 90s when Bush 1 was President.

Would you have loved the 90s even more if Bush 1 had won the 1992 presidential election?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/01/15 at 11:17 am

Would you have loved the 90s even more if Bush 1 had won the 1992 presidential election?

I can assure you the mid 90s would have been a whole lot different. Somethings would be the same as how they were during Clinton's first term. No, I probably wouldn't like the mid 90s any more than I do now.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/01/15 at 12:02 pm

I can assure you the mid 90s would have been a whole lot different. Somethings would be the same as how they were during Clinton's first term. No, I probably wouldn't like the mid 90s any more than I do now.
And then the late 90s would have been completely different as well.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/01/15 at 12:53 pm

And then the late 90s would have been completely different as well.

It would all depend on God's hand upon us. Pop culture institutions of the 2000s would still show up somewhere in Bush's second term.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/15 at 2:42 pm

or wearing your pants backwards.

Written By: XYkid on 02/01/15 at 9:39 pm

I can agree with that, the 90s were a very diverse decade when it came to music.

Written By: joeman on 02/02/15 at 9:12 pm

I dunno man, I used to like grunge until I was getting at an age where that type of music doesn't do it for me anymore.  I mean, why would I listen to depressing music when I am trying to get my life together?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/15 at 9:14 pm

I can only speak for myself here, when grunge first appeared I took an instant dislike to it, to save time. For me it is not music, just shouting!

Written By: joeman on 02/02/15 at 9:17 pm

Agreed.

I mean I can still listen to Alice in Chains, but I always saw them as a heavy metal band if anything else.  Grunge to me all sounds the same.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/15 at 9:25 pm

I can only speak for myself here, when grunge first appeared I took an instant dislike to it, to save time. For me it is not music, just shouting!

Agreed.

I mean I can still listen to Alice in Chains, but I always saw them as a heavy metal band if anything else.  Grunge to me all sounds the same.
True, I never was into heavy metal due to the loudest of it all, I wish to preserve my hearing.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/15 at 2:28 pm

I hated grunge.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/03/15 at 2:58 pm

or wearing your pants backwards.

How did this slip my mind? Remember the 1992 Snow Beach Ralph Lauren Sport Jackets? Those were flying off the shelves at Macys a little after Kris Kross released "Jump"?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/03/15 at 2:59 pm

Agreed.

So Pearl Jam sounds like Alice in Chains to you?

Written By: Howard on 02/03/15 at 3:19 pm

How did this slip my mind? Remember the 1992 Snow Beach Ralph Lauren Sport Jackets? Those were flying off the shelves at Macys a little after Kris Kross released "Jump"?

and that became a fad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/15 at 5:57 pm

I hated grunge.
That is one way of putting it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/15 at 5:58 pm

Each heavy metal group sounds the same, all of them very loud.

Written By: joeman on 02/03/15 at 10:12 pm

No...but so almost all the other bands in the era sounded like either Pearl Jam or Nirvana.

Written By: tv on 02/04/15 at 1:33 am

I don't think it is happening, but gosh I hope not. Generation X had way better taste than Generation Y. Millennials were the ones who popularized low-rise jeahttp://www.inthe00s.com/Themes/core/images/bbc/bold.gifns, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, southern hip-hop (not even a '90s thing), and teen pop. Yeah, pretty much all of the things I hate.

Those 3 are very early Millennials born in the early 80's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/15 at 1:36 am

Since when have Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake been considered gunge?

Written By: tv on 02/04/15 at 1:37 am

Yeah I used to sag or  my pants. You look back on it its like "what I was thinking"?

Written By: tv on 02/04/15 at 1:40 am

I dunno man, I used to like grunge until I was getting at an age where that type of music doesn't do it for me anymore.  I mean, why would I listen to depressing music when I am trying to get my life together?
Yeah same here. I still have respect for Grunge Music but I haven't listened to it in 10 years almost I think.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/04/15 at 7:57 am

and that became a fad.

Yes.

I remember those Looney Tunes shirts with Bugs and Daffy dressed like Kris Kross from early '93. People were wearing large translucent pacifiers on rope necklaces at that time also. The pacifier necklaces were popularized by Chili of TLC, but you don't hear much about them today.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/15 at 2:35 pm

Each heavy metal group sounds the same, all of them very loud.

and annoying.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/15 at 2:37 pm

Since when have Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake been considered gunge?

all of them are considered teen pop.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/15 at 6:23 am

all of them are considered teen pop.
...and not grunge!

Written By: sonikuu on 02/08/15 at 8:40 am

I feel like nostalgia for grunge was actually probably more popular ten years ago than now.  Ten years ago, I think a lot of 90s nostalgia (though far less of it existed then than now) focused on the early and mid part of the decade, particularly on stuff like grunge and gangsta rap. 

Now, I feel like the winds of nostalgia have shifted and the period of the 90s most focused on now is the decade's second half.  Stuff like the Backstreet Boys and the Spice Girls seem to receive more nostalgia than Nirvana these days, I would argue. 

On another note, I used to love grunge ten years ago, despite having only been a toddler when it was popular.  90s and 00s alternative rock was the soundtrack to my high school days.  These days though, I hardly ever listen to the 90s stuff.  Maybe I just listened to it too much back then or my tastes changed, one of the two.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/20/15 at 1:02 am

Grunge is cool, but I don't think it's the best genre of the entire '90s. I like the Hip-Hop and R&B way better.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/20/15 at 8:17 am

Grunge is cool, but I don't think it's the best genre of the entire '90s. I like the Hip-Hop and R&B way better.

Grunge was just a very specific type of alternative rock, not the definition of alternative rock in the 90's. IMO nu-metal trumps grunge by a long shot. R&B was never better than the mid 90's, especially with the female singers.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/26/15 at 10:23 pm

People love them some grunge, but I doubt it's gonna come back into the mainstream. That would be weird.

Written By: tv on 03/01/15 at 11:58 pm

I think the poppier stuff that complemented grunge at the time actually has dated or held up better. Bands like Collective Soul, The Gin Blossoms, Better Than Ezra, "The Wallflowers, "The Counting Crows", and even  music from "Stone Temple Pilots" has held up better than music from The Seattle Bands with the exception of  Soundgarden maybe currently.

"Stone Temple Pilots" they are sort of the link between the Seattle Bands and the poppier stuff like Collective Soul and "The Counting Crows".

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/02/15 at 12:04 am

I think the poppier stuff that complemented grunge at the time actually has dated or held up better. Bands like Collective Soul, The Gin Blossoms, Better Than Ezra, "The Wallflowers, "The Counting Crows", and even  music from "Stone Temple Pilots" has held up better than music from The Seattle Bands with the exception of  Soundgarden maybe currently.

"Stone Temple Pilots" they are sort of the link between the Seattle Bands and the poppier stuff like Collective Soul and "The Counting Crows".

But The Wallflowers and Gin Blossoms weren't grunge! Are you just talking about regular alternative rock?

Written By: tv on 03/02/15 at 12:22 am

But The Wallflowers and Gin Blossoms weren't grunge! Are you just talking about regular alternative rock?
Well maybe Alternative Rock in Collective Soul's case yeah. Gin Blossoms were more of a Progressive Rock Band.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/02/15 at 6:11 pm

People love them some grunge, but I doubt it's gonna come back into the mainstream. That would be weird.

Exactly. I think that post grunge lasted far too long for that to happen any time soon.

Written By: popguru85 on 03/02/15 at 8:18 pm

Yes.

I remember those Looney Tunes shirts with Bugs and Daffy dressed like Kris Kross from early '93. People were wearing large translucent pacifiers on rope necklaces at that time also. The pacifier necklaces were popularized by Chili of TLC, but you don't hear much about them today.

I think my cousins had a few of those shirts but I thought the pacifier was more of the rave party culture

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/06/15 at 6:07 pm

I wouldn't say I'm exactly anti-grunge, but I hate when people say it killed off glam metal right away in September of 1991.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/06/15 at 6:45 pm

While I'm cool with the music of the time, I never did like the style. Looking like a grubby hobo in lumberjack plaids sucked and even at 6 years old, I knew I didn't like it. I don't like plaid in general.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/06/15 at 9:46 pm

While I'm cool with the music of the time, I never did like the style. Looking like a grubby hobo in lumberjack plaids sucked and even at 6 years old, I knew I didn't like it. I don't like plaid in general.

It wasn't so bad at first in the fall of 1992.

http://images1.musicfeeds.com.au/0de330f8f5a505e0e48427feded93e2d-640x360.png

https://n0stal9ia.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/marc-jacobs-x-perry-ellis-1992.jpg

The crimson flannel look of 1994 is just depressing.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-y9xoFK6JkBM/TlVFlZCwLtI/AAAAAAAADHo/eSZqeHyPhkU/s1600/katy.jpg

Thank god 1998 happened!

Written By: TheMusicdewd on 03/18/15 at 6:51 pm

Of course Grunge is fondly remembered, what kind of question is this???

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/18/15 at 9:26 pm

The crimson flannel look of 1994 is just depressing.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-y9xoFK6JkBM/TlVFlZCwLtI/AAAAAAAADHo/eSZqeHyPhkU/s1600/katy.jpg

Thank god 1998 happened!

In one of your earliest posts you said you lived in Dayton, Ohio for most of the '90s. Did you move out in 1998? The midwest was about three years behind in fashion trends back then. People in the midwest in general tend to wear what they like most, but there are some stylish people there. I lived in Bellbrook, Ohio from July 2005 until May 2010.

Grunge fashion peaked in late '93/early '94. Going by the midwest, grunge would have peaked in late '96/early '97. Was that your experience? In another post somewhere you also said you and your peers didn't start wearing flannel until November 1994. My dad, who was born in 1966, said he saw people wearing flannel in late 1991/early 1992. Guess where they lived before California? Ohio! This is really fishy...

My parents lived in California from December 1993 until April 1998. My mom, who was born in 1963, said young people started to dress more preppy or hip-hop by 1995. White people were dressing as black people and acting black. Looking at pictures from then, it seems that preppy was comprised of The Gap or Land's End. Is 1998 when you experienced my mom's 1995 experience?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/19/15 at 12:17 am

Grunge fashion peaked in late '93/early '94. Going by the midwest, grunge would have peaked in late '96/early '97. Was that your experience? In another post somewhere you also said you and your peers didn't start wearing flannel until November 1994.

That was my experience also. I don't remember anyone around me wearing dark colored flannel in 1993. It looked more the garments these two are wearing:

http://vickiehowell.com/uploaded_images/me&amy-93-788956.JPG

Looking back, my friends and I were late to the trend, but everyone at our school looked like this at the time:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/punkybshouse/5622726876/in/search_QM_q_IS_flannel+1994_AND_mt_IS_all_AND_w_IS_all

My dad, who was born in 1966, said he saw people wearing flannel in late 1991/early 1992. Guess where they lived before California? Ohio! This is really fishy...

As you can see from this 1989 photo, Metalheads were mainly the ones wearing flannel before grunge took off :

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wGWyEldKdFM/TaeWUMKyACI/AAAAAAAAARk/ICuKAP7Hndc/s1600/ss-110406-mall-scenes-searsmullets.ss_full.jpg

I'm willing to bet the people wearing flannel in late '91/'92 resembled lumberjacks like the woman pictured here in this early 90s photo:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/lobstar/224806632/in/search_QM_q_IS_flannel+1989_AND_mt_IS_all_AND_w_IS_all

This look did not rear it's ugly head until sometime late in the summer of 1992:

My parents lived in California from December 1993 until April 1998. My mom, who was born in 1963, said young people started to dress more preppy or hip-hop by 1995. White people were dressing as black people and acting black. Looking at pictures from then, it seems that preppy was comprised of The Gap or Land's End. Is 1998 when you experienced my mom's 1995 experience?

Brands like Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica and Polo Sport were going strong in the mid 90s:

https://fornaught415.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/work-it-snoop-dogg-in-tommy.jpg

I don't remember anyone wearing flannel in 1998.  This look was coming in:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/paul-walkers-endearing-1998-teen-people-profile

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/25/15 at 2:01 pm

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/paul-walkers-endearing-1998-teen-people-profile

That look became fashionable in 1996. My family has pictures from then. If you look at catalogs of men's fashion on the website Uomo Classico, you can see that outfit was cool in 1996. Also lots of movies and television portray that preppy look too.

Written By: tv on 05/03/15 at 8:25 pm

In one of your earliest posts you said you lived in Dayton, Ohio for most of the '90s. Did you move out in 1998? The midwest was about three years behind in fashion trends back then. People in the midwest in general tend to wear what they like most, but there are some stylish people there. I lived in Bellbrook, Ohio from July 2005 until May 2010.

Grunge fashion peaked in late '93/early '94. Going by the midwest, grunge would have peaked in late '96/early '97. Was that your experience? In another post somewhere you also said you and your peers didn't start wearing flannel until November 1994. My dad, who was born in 1966, said he saw people wearing flannel in late 1991/early 1992. Guess where they lived before California? Ohio! This is really fishy...

Yeah it was  the 1995-1996 School Year that the fashion change happened I believe. Going into the 1995-1996 school year now that I think about it now 1993 sounding music was "in" still but the "fashion" wasn't. I think the 1994-1995 School Year both "Grunge" and "Hip-Hop" Clothes were popular so that was probably the "cross year" fashion wise between 1993 and 1997 fashion.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/04/15 at 1:12 am

Yeah it was  the 1995-1996 School Year that the fashion change happened I believe. Going into the 1995-1996 school year now that I think about it now 1993 sounding music was "in" still but the "fashion" wasn't. I think the 1994-1995 School Year both "Grunge" and "Hip-Hop" Clothes were popular so that was probably the "cross year" fashion wise between 1993 and 1997 fashion.

That sounds about right.  Hip-hop fashion peaked in the 1997-98 school year at my school.  By 2000 everyone was wearing Abercrombie & Fitch.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/11/15 at 10:12 am

After listening to this music over a period of time, I realized something – I want a grunge music revival.

While "post-grunge" may have lasted too long, it's not real grunge. Nirvana vs Creed? Bush vs Trapt? The sounds are so drastically different from each other that they're not even the same genre! Real grunge was amazing, so thoughtful and creative. Maybe it could bring back rock music and kill dance?

Compare "Creep" by Radiohead to "Photograph" by Nickelback. They're not the same in any way whatsoever. I want the "Creep" sound to come back.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/11/15 at 4:01 pm

After listening to this music over a period of time, I realized something – I want a grunge music revival.

While "post-grunge" may have lasted too long, it's not real grunge. Nirvana vs Creed? Bush vs Trapt? The sounds are so drastically different from each other that they're not even the same genre! Real grunge was amazing, so thoughtful and creative. Maybe it could bring back rock music and kill dance?

Compare "Creep" by Radiohead to "Photograph" by Nickelback. They're not the same in any way whatsoever. I want the "Creep" sound to come back.

They really need to stop calling everything post grunge. It's alternative and they're not comparable because they're different. I'd take Trapt and Creed any day because their music sounds far more cleaned up. Rock music isn't dead you know, there is plenty of current material by Godsmack, Chevelle, Thousand Foot Krutch, Five Finger Death Punch and other bands that got their start in earlier decades. Pop music is what needs the fix!

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/15/15 at 6:55 pm

They really need to stop calling everything post grunge. It's alternative and they're not comparable because they're different.

I agree. There are so many different styles of rock music, some of which don't even have a name yet because they're so unique.

I'd take Trapt and Creed any day because their music sounds far more cleaned up.

Like, Trapt and Creed over Nirvana and Radiohead? I like all four, but for different reasons. Trapt and Creed have catchier and more sing-alongy lyrics ("Headstrong" and "Higher"), but I also enjoy the more hardcore and unrestrained sound of Nirvana and Radiohead ("Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Creep").

Rock music isn't dead you know, there is plenty of current material by Godsmack, Chevelle, Thousand Foot Krutch, Five Finger Death Punch and other bands that got their start in earlier decades.

Well, yes, rock music isn't dead. It's just that I want it to be cool in the mainstream. Most of my 2010s rock songs come from the free singles section of iTunes (some of them are quite good actually).

Pop music is what needs the fix!

Yes, it does.  8-P At this point I want a complete overhaul on popular culture.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/15/15 at 7:01 pm

The mainstream music industry is going through a dark age. A long a$$ one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/15 at 3:55 am

Fondly forgotten!

Written By: JBsptfn on 06/19/18 at 6:51 pm

Not by me. As someone said on You Tube last year, it is the Special Olympics of Rock N' Roll.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/27/18 at 7:49 pm

That was my experience also. I don't remember anyone around me wearing dark colored flannel in 1993. It looked more the garments these two are wearing:

http://vickiehowell.com/uploaded_images/me&amy-93-788956.JPG

Looking back, my friends and I were late to the trend, but everyone at our school looked like this at the time:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/punkybshouse/5622726876/in/search_QM_q_IS_flannel+1994_AND_mt_IS_all_AND_w_IS_all

As you can see from this 1989 photo, Metalheads were mainly the ones wearing flannel before grunge took off :

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wGWyEldKdFM/TaeWUMKyACI/AAAAAAAAARk/ICuKAP7Hndc/s1600/ss-110406-mall-scenes-searsmullets.ss_full.jpg

I'm willing to bet the people wearing flannel in late '91/'92 resembled lumberjacks like the woman pictured here in this early 90s photo:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/lobstar/224806632/in/search_QM_q_IS_flannel+1989_AND_mt_IS_all_AND_w_IS_all

This look did not rear it's ugly head until sometime late in the summer of 1992:

Brands like Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica and Polo Sport were going strong in the mid 90s:

https://fornaught415.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/work-it-snoop-dogg-in-tommy.jpg

My sister, Fall 1992:
http://i67.tinypic.com/16gzdk3.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...