inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late 90s songs that sound like they're from the early 90s (and vice versa)

Written By: XYkid on 01/14/15 at 8:21 pm

I remember the 80s forum had a thread like this, so I thought I'd give the 90s one as well.

This song came out in 1996 (1997 in the US), but easily sounds like it could've come out in 1991/2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQt6jIKNwgU

On the flip side, this song came out in 1992, but could pass for a late 90s rock song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8b88US-6ts

Subject: Re: Late 90s songs that sound like they're from the early 90s (and vice versa)

Written By: nally on 01/14/15 at 11:06 pm

I remember the 80s forum had a thread like this, so I thought I'd give the 90s one as well.

This song came out in 1996 (1997 in the US), but easily sounds like it could've come out in 1991/2.

Oh yeah, I agree with you there. That was Savage Garden's first hit, and when I heard it for the first time, I thought it sounded like it could've passed for earlier than that. A later single of theirs, "To The Moon And Back" (from the same album) also has that "earlier 90s" sound to it.

Subject: Re: Late 90s songs that sound like they're from the early 90s (and vice versa)

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/26/15 at 6:21 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQt6jIKNwgU

On the flip side, this song came out in 1992, but could pass for a late 90s rock song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8b88US-6ts

That song does not sound early 90s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/20/15 at 1:11 am

Lankini's Juice - Live (1997)
Around the Way Girl - LL Cool J (1991)

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/11/16 at 12:17 am

There are a lot.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/11/16 at 4:07 pm

"Found Out About You" by Gin Blossoms and "The Freshman" by The Verve Pipe are both from 1992, but sound like they should be from 1997ish.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/11/16 at 4:26 pm

Wait, Found out about you is 1994, and The freshman is 1997! Sorry I had to say it but I couldn't help it :-[

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/11/16 at 6:39 pm

Wait, Found out about you is 1994, and The freshman is 1997! Sorry I had to say it but I couldn't help it :-New Miserable Experience released in August 1992. Before that it was actually on their 1989 debut album. But you are correct that the single was released in November 1993 and probably charted in 1994.

It's a similar situation with "The Freshman" which was originally featured acoustic-style on the 1992 album I've Suffered a Head Injury but was rerecorded for Villains in 1996 and released as a single in 1997.

So you're not quite wrong but it's still interesting to me that these songs were seemingly written ahead of their time.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/13/16 at 4:14 pm

I think things changed too much overall for there to be many songs from opposite ends of the decade that could be released vice versa. However, there is a bit of a stretch. The biggest one that could be reasonable is 1993 and 1997. So with all due respect, I present to you the list.

1993 songs that could have been popular in 1997
A Whole New World - Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle
By the Time This Night is Over - Kenny G & Peabo Bryson
Forever in Love - Kenny G
Love Is - Vanessa Williams & Brian McKnight
I'll Never Get Over You Getting Over Me - Exposé
Hero - Mariah Carey
Can't Get Enough of Your Love - Taylor Dayne
Dreamlover - Mariah Carey
Runaway Love - En Vogue
If - Janet Jackson
I'm So Into You - SWV
Right Here (Human Nature) - SWV
Hey Mr. DJ - Zhané
Whoomp! (There It Is) - Tag Team
Shoop - Salt-N-Pepa
Looking Through Patient Eyes - P.M. Dawn
Ditty - Paperboy
Let Me Ride - Dr. Dre
Six Feet Deep - Geto Boys
Hip-Hop Hooray - Naughty By Nature
Boom! Shake the Room - DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
Show Me Love - Robin S
Mr. Vain - Culture Beat
What Is Love - Haddaway
No Rain - Blind Melon
Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossoms
Linger - The Cranberries
The River of Dreams - Billy Joel
Come Undone - Duran Duran

1997 songs that could have been popular in 1993
Go the Distance - Michael Bolton
Uninvited - Alanis Morissette
Please Don't Go - No Mercy (if not 1993, then at least 1994)
One More Time - Real McCoy (same as above)
How Bizarre - OMC
Together Again - Janet Jackson
All Cried Out - Allure
They Like It Slow - H-Town
For You - Kenny Lattimore
Request Line - Zhané
Fly Like an Eagle - Seal (maybe 1994 instead..)
Return of Mack - Mark Morrison (even earlier for this one)
Nothin' But the Cavi Hit - Mack 10 & The Dogg Pound
Let Me Clear My Throat - DJ Kool
Smile - Scarface
I Shot the Sheriff - Warren G
I Wanna Be There - Blessid Union of Souls
More Than This - 10,000 Maniacs
Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground
When You're Gone - The Cranberries
Free to Decide - The Cranberries
The Freshmen - The Verve Pipe

Whew, what an exhausting list!

Check for new replies or respond here...