inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was the 90s the height of bubblegum catchiness?

Written By: winteriscoming on 03/04/15 at 5:35 pm

I've been listening to a lot of 90s music lately, mostly late 90s pop and I have to say one of the main differences between 2010s and 1990s music is that today's music is just way more boring and less catchy. There's very few artists who have that bubblegum vibe to them today. Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, Carly Rae Jepsen and Meghan Trainor would be among a handful I can think of, everyone else is trying too hard to be "legit" and "hipster". In the '90s the country, Latin, rap and AC artists all had that catchy bubblegum style to them.

Hell even the indie from the 90s like Beck's "Loser" or "Creep" by Radiohead is incredibly catchy and something a pop fan can appreciate.

It's just not the late 90s either lots of earlier 90s music too is like this like Ace of Base, Wilson Phillips and the Spice Girls. Even the rock from the 90s like Nirvana and Pearl Jam is essentially bubblegum pop with a hardcore image.

I actually think the "bubblegum revival" started in earnest with Stock Aitken Waterman in the late 80s. Bananarama and Kylie pretty much set the tone for pop production over the next 15 years. SAW themselves declined in the early 90s but all the other producers basically ripped off their techniques.

Subject: Re: Was the 90s the height of bubblegum catchiness?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/04/15 at 11:35 pm

Bubblegum catchiness? Maybe.

Overall catchiness? The 80s has the trophy in my eyes.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/04/15 at 11:40 pm

Overall catchiness, yes. But bubblegum is aimed at kids, not adults. The '90s were mature and had their own thing going on. The music was promptly aimed at legal adults, not little kids.

Written By: winteriscoming on 03/05/15 at 12:58 pm

Overall catchiness, yes. But bubblegum is aimed at kids, not adults. The '90s were mature and had their own thing going on. The music was promptly aimed at legal adults, not little kids.

I don't think bubblegum pop is necessarily just for kids. The Beatles were bubblegum early on, but adults liked them too.

Written By: Howard on 03/05/15 at 1:46 pm

Bubblegum was made for kids and mostly teenagers.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/06/15 at 11:37 pm

To me, it doesn't get any sweeter than this bubblegum-catchy-tune:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6rktXEdp0hg

She even had Debbie Gibson beat there.

Check for new replies or respond here...