inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was/is Who Wants To Be A Millionaire a reality TV show?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/21/15 at 10:17 pm

???  ???

Subject: Re: Was/is Who Wants To Be A Millionaire a reality TV show?

Written By: nally on 03/21/15 at 10:27 pm

No.

However, at the time it was on in the US, some people tend to credit the program for inspiring the reality tv craze in the early 00s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Wants_to_Be_a_Millionaire%3F#Reception

Written By: 80sfan on 03/21/15 at 10:52 pm

No.

However, at the time it was on in the US, some people tend to credit the program for inspiring the reality tv craze in the early 00s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Wants_to_Be_a_Millionaire%3F#Reception

Karma.

I think Survivor was what started the reality TV explosion.

Written By: nally on 03/21/15 at 11:00 pm

Karma.

I think Survivor was what started the reality TV explosion.

yeah, you're probably right.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/15 at 2:08 am

No, it is a television quiz show, that now is no longer broadcasting due Chris Tarrant (the host) quitting the show back in 2013.

Written By: gibbo on 03/22/15 at 2:21 am

Definitely not. It's a game show.  You may as well call all football (and other sports) reality shows. When you think about it ... they are the ultimate reality shows.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/15 at 2:24 am

From wiki:

"Reality-based television is a genre of television programming that documents unscripted situations and actual occurrences, and often features a previously publicly unknown cast."

WWTBAM had scripted questions to ask the contestants.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/22/15 at 12:28 pm

No, it is a television quiz show, that now is no longer broadcasting due Chris Tarrant (the host) quitting the show back in 2013.

In America, Regis Philbin was the first host.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/22/15 at 12:30 pm

Definitely not. It's a game show.  You may S well call for all (and other spots) reality shows. When yo think about ... They are ultimate reality shows.

I think some episodes of Millionaire were live, in America.

Written By: Howard on 03/22/15 at 2:36 pm

In America, Regis Philbin was the first host.

Yes he was, In 2000.

Written By: Howard on 03/22/15 at 2:37 pm

It's a quiz show.

Written By: nally on 03/22/15 at 6:43 pm

Yes he was, In 2000.

Yep, that's when the show was at the height of its popularity (at least in the States). The American version, with him as the host, began in August 1999 and lasted for three years in primetime.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/15 at 7:55 am

It's a quiz show.
Very much so!

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/23/15 at 7:58 am

There are some game shows that cross with reality, but in essence a game show as a rigidly structured format that always takes place inside of a studio with questions/challenges pre-scripted. It is much more like the old 1950s $64,000 Question (one of the question levels for awhile) than Survivor. Greed, Deal or No Deal, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, Singing Bee, Don't Forget The Lyrics, 1 vs. 100, and a brief revival of Twenty One are also game shows, some of which recycled WWTBAM's format. Then you have the competition shows like Star Search, The X Factor, The Voice, and Dancing With The Stars. They have somewhat of a structured format, but more freely express talent and performance over skill and technical abilities provided from a game show. Survivor, Big Brother, Fear Factor, The Real World, Extreme Makeover, The Apprentice; now those are reality shows that stimulate off the wall challenges that take a much more hands-on approach by shooting on location and taking extremes that you couldn't do in a closed studio.

And a quiz show is a sub-category of a game show itself. There are also audience participation shows (TPIR), Panel Shows (mostly popular in the 1950s-70s such as What's My Line but also some newer shows like Figure it Out), Word recognition shows (Wheel of Fortune, Pyramid), along with other game shows that combine some of these or use separate concepts.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/15 at 1:02 pm

Yes he was, In 2000.

I don't think I would do good on the show. I don't know enough!  :D  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/15 at 1:04 pm

Yep, that's when the show was at the height of its popularity (at least in the States). The American version, with him as the host, began in August 1999 and lasted for three years in primetime.

Yup, I remember it being HUGE in 1999/2000, maybe even 2001.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/15 at 1:06 pm

There are some game shows that cross with reality, but in essence a game show as a rigidly structured format that always takes place inside of a studio with questions/challenges pre-scripted. It is much more like the old 1950s $64,000 Question (one of the question levels for awhile) than Survivor. Greed, Deal or No Deal, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, Singing Bee, Don't Forget The Lyrics, 1 vs. 100, and a brief revival of Twenty One are also game shows, some of which recycled WWTBAM's format. Then you have the competition shows like Star Search, The X Factor, The Voice, and Dancing With The Stars. They have somewhat of a structured format, but more freely express talent and performance over skill and technical abilities provided from a game show. Survivor, Big Brother, Fear Factor, The Real World, Extreme Makeover, The Apprentice; now those are reality shows that stimulate off the wall challenges that take a much more hands-on approach by shooting on location and taking extremes that you couldn't do in a closed studio.

And a quiz show is a sub-category of a game show itself. There are also audience participation shows (TPIR), Panel Shows (mostly popular in the 1950s-70s such as What's My Line but also some newer shows like Figure it Out), Word recognition shows (Wheel of Fortune, Pyramid), along with other game shows that combine some of these or use separate concepts.

I remember by 2000, reality TV became huge.

Written By: Howard on 03/23/15 at 2:23 pm

I don't think I would do good on the show. I don't know enough!  :D  :D

You'd have to have a lot of knowledge about stuff.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/15 at 7:06 pm

You'd have to have a lot of knowledge about stuff.

Call a friend! Call a friend!

Written By: Howard on 03/24/15 at 2:28 pm

or Ask The Audience.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/15 at 2:25 am

Split the audience fifty/fifty

Written By: Howard on 03/25/15 at 2:28 pm

Split the audience fifty/fifty

or you can just easily guess the answer.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/29/15 at 3:18 pm

Yup, I remember it being HUGE in 1999/2000, maybe even 2001.

Yeah, "Millionaire" was massive at least up through early 2001 or so. Heck, even my grandmother used to watch it every night when it was at it's peak.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/15 at 3:42 pm

Yeah, "Millionaire" was massive at least up through early 2001 or so. Heck, even my grandmother used to watch it every night when it was at it's peak.
For us it was a must watch program.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/29/15 at 5:55 pm

New episodes in the US are still being made.  It's a daytime show with host Terry Crews.

I, several times, tried out for the show, by calling and doing a fast five on the phone.  Apparently I was never fast enough.  ;D
This was back in 2000.  I really wanted to be a millionaire at the time.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/15 at 5:57 pm

New episodes in the US are still being made.  It's a daytime show with host Terry Crews.

I, several times, tried out for the show, by calling and doing a fast five on the phone.  Apparently I was never fast enough.  ;D
I tried several times at the start by phoning in and then it got to the stage of not wanting to publicise my face on television.

Written By: nally on 03/29/15 at 6:10 pm

Yep, the format has changed a bit. In fact, the US daytime version had premiered in 2002 with Meredith Vieira as the host (after the primetime version ended its 3-year run); she hosted the program for over a decade until Terry Crews began his hosting stint.

Written By: nally on 03/29/15 at 6:12 pm

Same with my family. We even thought of going on the show, but none of us ever actually tried out for it.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/29/15 at 6:12 pm

I tried several times at the start by phoning in and then it got to the stage of not wanting to publicise my face on television.

Yeah, same here.

Here is a behind the scenes look with host Terry Crews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPX4RD8Szt0

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 03/29/15 at 7:17 pm

I think one of the big differences between a simple game show and a "reality television competition" is that the former typically follows the same cast or contestant for a single episode whereas the latter follows the same cast for an entire season (often eliminating contestants one by one until the winner is determined)

Written By: Howard on 03/30/15 at 1:33 pm

I enjoyed the show.

Written By: Howard on 03/30/15 at 1:34 pm

Terry Crews? Who made him host now?  :o

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/01/15 at 1:33 am

Not in my book it wasn't. The 2000s started the trend of naming everything a reality show. It was only a game show like Weakest Link and Deal or No Deal. How was any of that different than Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune? These were just done more "dramatic." 

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/01/15 at 6:45 am

IMO this really brought a shift in the way game shows were presented. 1997 brought Win Ben Stein's Money, Figure It Out on Nickelodeon, kids versions of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! (early 1998 for the later), Bob Eubanks returning for the Newlywed Game, and Chuck Woolery hosting the Dating Game (both with very retro-inspired sets). These felt very old-school and could easily blend in with the '70s/'80s game shows during their network/syndication pre-cable heyday while constrining to the budgets of cable, Saturday Morning, and late night syndication. Then Who Wants To Be A Millionaire began in Britain in 1998, not long after that country lifted their strict winnings cap (often only around a couple thousand pounds at most), and thus began a revolution towards a much more dramatic tone. Sets were suddenly big-budget, darker, more high-tech, and the emphasis grew bigger toward the individual event. Soon came Greed, a short-lived revival of Twenty One, and a short-lived game show on CBS called Winning Lines in late 1999-early 2000. Then CBS combined the million dollar prize idea with another import, Survivor, and viewers became hooked tuning in every week bringing some of the highest summer ratings in years. Big Brother quickly followed in July, and then soon other reality shows came along. That said, I find Survivor a great schism in separating the game shows from the reality shows like I've posted above. 

Check for new replies or respond here...