inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hippie influence during mid '90s

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/20/15 at 9:51 pm

Perhaps it was just where I lived but I remember the mid '90s having a very Hippie-ish, laid back vibe; pretty much everyone wore earth tones and a lot of the (older) girls (by which I mean, girls then in their teens) seemed to be Hippie-esque; I remember the Grateful Dead being on the radio a lot in '94, '95 and music like that (ala Blind Melon). Is it just where I lived or was there a Hippie/Early 70s influence on the '94-96 period?

Subject: Re: Hippie influence during mid '90s

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 04/21/15 at 1:45 pm

xDqxUKMHLCQ

As you can see, most people have proudly moved on from the DULL Clinton '90s. ;D

Party City seems to be stuck in the early '90s with me:http://m.partycity.com/products/t-shirt%2Bclip

After all, the first Party City franchise store opened in 1989 (start of my beloved HW Bush era) in Hazlet, NJ. So, it only makes sense, I guess. :)

Sure, adults in 1991 asked, "Who can possibly be nostalgic for the Gulf War days?" It's too bad no one was around like Doc Brown to unlock the key to the future. Nowadays, we have nothing but rip-offs,revamps and reality television, the three "Rs" that I strongly dislike. Hey, "it's '93 to infinity!" We can only move forward, right? ::)

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 04/24/15 at 2:29 am

The mid 90s?  No, at least not where I lived at that time.  Aside from classic rock stations, I don't recall the Grateful Dead getting much airtime in 1995.  My memory of 94 / 95 is that "white culture" (for lack of a better term) was starting to become more "conservative" (for lack of a better term).  More middle class, clean cut, clean shaven, in some sense.  I always felt there was something vaguely Tupperware party 50s-ish about the mid and late 90s.

The way I remember it, there was a renewed interest in the 60s counterculture starting around 1984/1985, plus or minus a few years.  In college I remember seeing tie-dye T-shirts, dashikis, love beads and many guys with long hair.  There seemed to be an increased interest in New Age stuff, psychedelia and so forth.  I believe much 80s music was influenced by the 60s, e.g.: Pointer Sisters, Squeeze, Prince, Tom Petty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8

During the mid/late 80s, there was also a renewed interest in the music of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, etc.  Some Beatles songs actually recharted.  There were also many covers of 60s and 70s songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=salbSLGlePM

Many hippie-era artists released new hits in the 80s: Bruce Springsteen, Tina Turner, The Beach Boys, Yes, The Moody Blues, Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, George Harrison, Neil Young, The Grateful Dead, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uby6jFCDjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koh0Ku9JUag

This "60s/early 70s revival" seems to me to have broadly peaked around the late 80s/early 90s, again, plus or minus a few years.  (The summer of 1988 is sometimes called the Second Summer of Love.)  The "60s influence" seemed to decline gradually and never completely disappeared.  However, at least in my world, it wasn't really noticeable by 1995.  It didn't become significant again (albeit in a somewhat different manner) until around 2005.

But again, maybe there were big regional differences in how all this played out.  I think regional differences used to be much more pronounced in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s than they are today.

Perhaps it was just where I lived but I remember the mid '90s having a very Hippie-ish, laid back vibe; pretty much everyone wore earth tones and a lot of the (older) girls (by which I mean, girls then in their teens) seemed to be Hippie-esque; I remember the Grateful Dead being on the radio a lot in '94, '95 and music like that (ala Blind Melon). Is it just where I lived or was there a Hippie/Early 70s influence on the '94-96 period?

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/24/15 at 8:00 am

I remember that song by Blind Melon! It did have a hippy sound to it didn't it? I also remember when hemp necklaces got popular and often had colorful rubber or clay beads on them. Peace signs were big in jewelry and I remember tie dyed t-shirts wrapped up like snakes being sold at stores.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/15 at 8:02 am

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/22/22e6b7b13b0b6adbc1de4447d95d281765ac1047c6259d444cd8761497610a46.jpg

Written By: Howard on 04/24/15 at 9:37 am

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/22/22e6b7b13b0b6adbc1de4447d95d281765ac1047c6259d444cd8761497610a46.jpg

Austin Powers brought the hippie look back.

Written By: robby76 on 04/24/15 at 8:43 pm

In the UK, the hippie revival was 1989-1991. Everyone wore psychedelic hooded tops, CND chains and bellbottom flares... I know i did! Bands like Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, Charlatans, Stone Roses and Candy Flip were huge.

8NxfGddaOKY

rWLYAtfnA2I

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/05/15 at 11:04 pm

I think the mid 90s was when 70s nostalgia replaced 60s nostalgia! I'm not sure! some one who was old enough back then would probably know for sure!

Written By: violet_shy on 06/09/15 at 4:41 pm

I remember it. I still have a "hippie influenced" key chain from 1996 that says Hippie chick 1965.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/09/15 at 6:29 pm

I don't remember it being hippie-ish at all but rather dark and rebellious. I remember the conservative resurgence of the 1980s dying off around 1995, with popular culture starting to really push the envelope in terms of profanity, sexuality, and violence.  The culture then was very much centered on rebellion against social norms, but in a very different way than during the 1960s.  While rebellion in the 1960s was about peace and love, in the 1990s violence was a part of the equation and was glorified everywhere. Where I lived, goth culture started to become more popular around that time as well.  This culture seemed to have come to a head around 1999 when the Columbine shooting happened.

Check for new replies or respond here...