inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else miss the OJ Simpson trial?

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/22/15 at 11:24 am

Divisive as it might have been, it was truly a historic year and made for great edge of your seat entertainment, an utterly interesting national trauma (IMO) in some ways on par with Watergate in the way it captured the nation's interest that IMO nothing like it since really has.

Subject: Re: Anyone else miss the OJ Simpson trial?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/15 at 11:53 am

I did not miss it, I watched what I could on television here.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/22/15 at 12:35 pm

Sadly I was only a baby when it all went down! >:( BUT if I had been my current age back then oh man  :D, that would have been exciting to witness! But yeah the whole OJ thing was crazy. The guy was seen as beloved figure, and then with a snap of a figner his legacy is DESTROYED! He should have NEVER have ran from the police! The Houston rockets/New York Knicks series was interrupted becuase of the car chase!

Written By: nally on 04/22/15 at 12:37 pm

Sadly I was only a baby when it all went down! >:( BUT if I had been my current age back then oh man  :D, that would have been exciting to witness! But yeah the whole OJ thing was crazy. The guy was seen as beloved figure, and then with a snap of a figner his legacy is DESTROYED! He should have NEVER have ran from the police! The Houston rockets/New York Knicks series was interrupted becuase of the car chase!

Something I remember all too well... I was watching maybe the last 30 minutes of the chase on TV.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/15 at 1:55 pm

Divisive as it might have been, it was truly a historic year and made for great edge of your seat entertainment, an utterly interesting national trauma (IMO) in some ways on par with Watergate in the way it captured the nation's interest that IMO nothing like it since really has.

"If It Doesn't Fit, You Must Acquit".

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/15 at 1:56 pm

Something I remember all too well... I was watching maybe the last 30 minutes of the chase on TV.
The car chase was even shown live on UK news channels.

Written By: nally on 04/22/15 at 2:08 pm

The car chase was even shown live on UK news channels.

I also watched what happened after the chase ended; that is, after O.J. arrived back at his home, waited a long time to come out of his car and surrender to the cops who were waiting for him.

Written By: gibbo on 04/22/15 at 8:09 pm

"If It Doesn't Fit, You Must Acquit".

Is that a quote from Cinderella?  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/15 at 10:59 pm

I was in kindergarten in 1994/1995. Every morning on the 8 o' clock news, it was OJ this, OJ that. It was really interesting if you were old enough to get it, but I was way too young to understand why it was important at the time.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/23/15 at 3:10 am

I was 8-9 during that time, but I don't remember it. That's maybe because I was in Germany then, but if it was also on UK Television, so it was probably also a big deal over here. It seems, it didn't really touch me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/15 at 3:17 am

The OJ Simpson Car Chase

HcyyCi2b2AY

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/23/15 at 1:18 pm

I was in kindergarten in 1994/1995. Every morning on the 8 o' clock news, it was OJ this, OJ that. It was really interesting if you were old enough to get it, but I was way too young to understand why it was important at the time.

What year were you born?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/23/15 at 1:33 pm

What year were you born?

He was born in 1989 I think. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 04/23/15 at 1:55 pm

I also watched what happened after the chase ended; that is, after O.J. arrived back at his home, waited a long time to come out of his car and surrender to the cops who were waiting for him.

Then they arrested him afterwards.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/15 at 1:59 pm

Is that a quote from Cinderella?  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH-VuP_5cA4

Here is the closing argument of what Johnny Cochran had to say ↑

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/15 at 2:00 pm

I didn't watch purposely. I was not interested. Unfortunately, they preempted my soaps for it which p!ssed me off. I recorded my soaps so when I got home from school (college) I could watch them only to see the trial was recorded. Didn't watch it.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/15 at 1:20 am

A woman was killed and an NFL Hall of Famer was the suspect.  Why would I be nostalgic for that?

"Remember when that woman was killed?  I wish I could see that all over again"

::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/15 at 1:28 am

A woman was killed and an NFL Hall of Famer was the suspect.  Why would I be nostalgic for that?

Yesterday I watched "Autopsy: The OJ Simpson Murder Case". Documentary in which forensic pathologist Dr Richard Shepherd re-examines the murder of the notorious American football star's ex-wife Nicole and her friend Ron Goldman. With the aid of the autopsy report, forensic evidence, and those who knew them, he pieces together the last few days leading up to the killings and considers who was really responsible.

At the end he gave his theory on who did the murder, and it seems plausible.

Written By: Howard on 05/01/15 at 7:19 am

I think she was being sarcastic.

Written By: Ripley on 10/22/15 at 4:08 pm

We watched it in our fifth grade class live.  After watching all these crime shows I change my verdict.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/22/15 at 4:24 pm

The OJ Simpson trial left a HUGE ripple through pop culture time.  After all, America met Robert Kardashian because of the trial and the rest is history.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/22/15 at 7:27 pm

Lord no, I was bored stiff by it. (I was only 8 in 1994)

But I do have a vivid memory of putting a Black Ken doll in my Barbie Jeep and having him run over a White Barbie and my mom saw and asked what I was doing and I said "Playing OJ and Nicole" and my mom stopped watching the trial coverage after that.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/22/15 at 9:25 pm

I remember hearing about OJ Simpson and the first thing my idiot brain thought about was how weird it was that there was a lot of coverage on Orange Juice.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/22/15 at 11:46 pm

Miss?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/23/15 at 7:44 am

I remember hearing about OJ Simpson and the first thing my idiot brain thought about was how weird it was that there was a lot of coverage on Orange Juice.

His first initials stand for Orenthal James

Written By: Howard on 10/23/15 at 7:45 am

Miss?  ;D

I don't miss it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/23/15 at 2:34 pm

The long term negative effect of the OJ trial (along with, to a lesser extent, the Clinton impeachment mess from a few years later) is that the mass media has spent the last two decades latching on to court case after court case in a vain attempt to turn one of them into the next "Trail of the Century". I think it was would do them well to accept that the OJ trail bonanza was caused by a unique confluence of events that can probably never be recreated. I'm pretty confident that I will never again in my lifetime see 200 million people stop what they are doing in the middle of the day to watch a trial verdict.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/24/15 at 8:48 pm

I soon realized this after embarrassing myself by asking "Why is everyone talking about orange juice?" Fun times.

Written By: nally on 10/25/15 at 12:10 pm

I soon realized this after embarrassing myself by asking "Why is everyone talking about orange juice?" Fun times.

Some people still refer to him as "Orange juice" even though that's not what his initials actually stand for. ;D

I actually knew that. ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/25/15 at 2:46 pm

That's what I thought at first too.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/25/15 at 11:40 pm

That's what I thought at first too.

I don't know why the kids at my middle school thought it was so funny that I thought Orange Juice was on the news. Worst of all, some girls laughed at me and that's never fun!

Some people still refer to him as "Orange juice" even though that's not what his initials actually stand for. ;D

Haha, isn't his nickname The Juice or something?

Written By: nally on 10/26/15 at 1:06 am

I don't know why the kids at my middle school thought it was so funny that I thought Orange Juice was on the news. Worst of all, some girls laughed at me and that's never fun!

Yep, I think you're right.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/26/15 at 9:44 am

People often forget that the basis for gavel-to-gavel coverage of high profile case started with the Pamela Smart trial in March 1991. I recently acquired a videotape that was taped off of a local New Hampshire station that consists of three hours of trial coverage. Unlike OJ, Pam was ruled guilty and has been serving her life in prison term ever since. She may not have been nearly as famous being just a teacher and her trial didn't even last three weeks, but this was a landmark trial that paved the way for continuous coverage that we saw with OJ's a few years later. Still, I was too young to remember that OJ was an important football player and just was awed from the police chase to pleading to opening arguments to trial to closing arguments to decision. Unfortunately, this trial is an important reason why daytime soap operas in America are just a dark shadow of their former popularity.

Written By: Howard on 10/26/15 at 2:23 pm

Yes, It is.

Check for new replies or respond here...