inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 1990s: The Definitive Decade of Generation X?

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/29/15 at 2:32 am

It started with the 1991 novel "Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture". It started as a fiction book and ended up defining a generation of real-life Americans.

There are many definitions on when it begins and ends, but let's go with the most widely-accepted beginning and end. 1965 is always considered Generation X, and 1980 is about 95% of the time labelled that way too. This generation is also sparsely populated compared to the ones that came before and after them. So therefore, it doesn't make sense to have it last too long. As a result, I consider Generation X as those born from 1965 through 1980; 16 years. I divide Generation Xers as 1965-1969 (early; five years), 1970-1974 (core; five years), and 1975-1980 (late; six years).

It wasn't until the '90s that Generation X was named what it was and stereotyped. There are a lot of stereotypes, such as these:
1) They listen to grunge and hip-hop music.
2) They hang around in coffee shops with nothing else to do (you can thank "Friends" for this).
3) They're cynical and don't respect authority.
4) They're angstier and have more aggressive personalities than Boomers and Millennials.
5) They're slackers.
6) They wear flannel (this isn't just plaid shirts. It's suits, pants, skirts, dresses, socks, gloves, hats, coats, etc.).
7) The mall is their natural habitat (you can thank "Clueless" for this one).
8) They don't care about themselves.
9) They watch "Friends" (who didn't?).
10) They shop at "The Gap".

As you can see, all of this started in the '90s. Almost none of this was around in the '80s. Maybe some, but I doubt it. But you see what I mean here? A lot of the negative stereotypes ended up affecting the minds of early Xers, hence why they cringe whenever they hear that term. Many early members (such as my dad) also acknowledge that younger members take far more pride in the Generation X label than them because they didn't have to endure the scathing backlash like older ones did in the early '90s.

But anyways, this thread is all about Generation X pop culture. The '90s was the height of it. When it comes to that generation, I think their personalities very much align with their pop culture. I think of core and younger Generation Xers (when they were in my current age group) as brash, cocky, boisterous, energetic, peppy (girls), robust (guys), festive, and assertive; and the popular culture of that decade really reflects that, especially the middle and later years.

So regarding popular culture, here is what I think defines core and younger Generation X.

Generation X Movies:
1. Reality Bites (1994)
2. Singles (1992)
3. Mission Impossible (1996)
4. Scream (1996)
5. Clueless (1995)
6. Titanic (1997)
7. Thelma & Louise (1991)
8. Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
9. Pulp Fiction (1994)
10. Good Will Hunting (1997)

Generation X TV shows:
1. Friends (1994-2004)
2. Party of Five (1994-2000)
3. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990-1996)
4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1996-2003)
5. Boy Meets World (1993-2000)
6. The X-Files (1993-2002)
7. Beverly Hills, 90210 (1990-2000)
8. Sabrina The Teenage Witch (1996-2003)
9. Family Matters (1989-1998)
10. My So Called Life (1994-1995)

Generation X Video Games (**WARNING–MIGHT SHARE W/ MILLENNIALS):
1. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis - 1991)
2. Tomb Raider (PC, PS1, Saturn - 1996)
3. Super Mario 64 (N64 - 1996)
4. Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Arcade - 1991)
5. Final Fantasy VII (PS1 - 1997)
6. Metal Gear Solid (PS1 - 1998)
7. Resident Evil (PS1, PC, Saturn - 1996)
8. Super Mario World (SNES - 1990)
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64 - 1998)
10. Goldeneye 007 (N64 - 1997)

Generation X Fashion:
1. Flannel anything (Shirts, Pants, Skirts, Jackets, Coats, etc.)
2. Black Trousers
3. Leather
4. Denim Jackets
5. Chunky Shoes (Loafers, Oxfords, Mary Janes, Mod Boots, etc.)
6. "It" Hairdos (The Rachel Haircut, The Caesar Haircut, Farrah Fawcett revival, Spiky Hair, etc.)
7. Plaid
8. Calvin Klein anything (Pinstripe Blouses and Shirts, CK One, Black anything, etc.)
9. The Gap anything (T-shirts, Chinos, Sweaters, etc.)
10. Square-Toed Dress Footwear

Generation X Music:
1. Grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, etc.)
2. Lilith Fair Rock (Sarah McLachlan, Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morissette, Jewel, etc.)
3. Gangsta Rap (The Notorious B.I.G., 2Pac, Dr. Dre, Puff Daddy, etc.)
4. Adult Contemporary Ballads (Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, etc.)
5. Hip-Hop/R&B Girl Groups (TLC, SWV, 702, Total, En Vogue, Salt N' Pepa, etc.)
6. Hip-Hop/R&B Guy Groups (Naughty By Nature, The Roots, 112, Next, Junior M.A.F.I.A., etc.)
7. House/Dance (Real McCoy, La Bouche, C+C Music Factory, No Mercy, etc.)
8. Latin (Gloria Estefan, Enrique Iglesias, Santana, Selena, etc.)
9. Britpop (Oasis, The Verve, Radiohead, Blur, etc.)
10. Ska Punk (No Doubt, Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth, 311, etc.)

Take note that I could have added many, many more things. But this is what comes to mind when people mention the '90s. Since Generation X were the ones driving and consuming pop culture, it only makes sense to say the '90s were the peak of it. Even early Gen Xers were into many of these trends, as they were young enough to still be in touch with pop culture. The TV shows were even driven by them (Friends especially). So, does anyone agree? What are your thoughts?

(P.S. - Please don't turn this into a flame war.)

Subject: Re: The 1990s: The Definitive Decade of Generation X?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/29/15 at 3:57 am

Titanic is also a Generation Y movie.

I think that the late 90s were also part of the early Y-culture.

Generation X peak was more like mid/late-80s to mid-90s.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/29/15 at 4:13 am

I think you pretty much covered it. Just not completely right about some things. There is a difference between 80's X and 90's X. 60's borns, or people pushing 50 now, are people I know to be anything but slackers who don't care about things. They are IMO not as serious or uptight as some baby boomers can be and would make cooler parents/grandparents who might be more with the times.

The games you listed, especially Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, Mario and Sonic were more millenial aimed. Late 90's is the rise of millenial culture, but late X members were still of age to be part of that. Shows like Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Boy Meets World are also more on the millenial side.

The earliest X is supposed to start at 1963 though, so I've read on different sources.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 12:28 pm

Yep I'm going to have to agree with Katana and LT. the late 90s were mainly millennial dominated culture! the pure x culture was from the mid 80s-mid 90s. The late 90s were for the late gen xers and early gen yers!

Written By: bchris02 on 04/29/15 at 12:46 pm

Beverly Hills, 90210 pretty much sums up Generation X teen culture.  The OC was the Millennial equivalent.  Any TV show that lasted past 2000, with the possible exception of Friends, would be at least cross-generational if not more targeted to Millennials.

GenX video games are centered around the Atari, the original NES, the MS-DOS PC, and the good old mall arcade.  The SNES, N64, and all disc-based consoles were much bigger for Millennials as children.  The Sega Genesis crossed generations but I would probably say it was more of a Millennial thing as it remained popular with kids well into the mid-90s.

The peak of GenX music was in the late '80s and early '90s, remaining relevant through the mid-90s.  Most of the hip-hop and r&b of the late '90s was targeted to Millennials.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 1:13 pm

Beverly Hills, 90210 pretty much sums up Generation X teen culture.  The OC was the Millennial equivalent.  Any TV show that lasted past 2000, with the possible exception of Friends, would be at least cross-generational if not more targeted to Millennials.

GenX video games are centered around the Atari, the original NES, the MS-DOS PC, and the good old mall arcade.  The SNES, N64, and all disc-based consoles were much bigger for Millennials as children.  The Sega Genesis crossed generations but I would probably say it was more of a Millennial thing as it remained popular with kids well into the mid-90s.

The peak of GenX music was in the late '80s and early '90s, remaining relevant through the mid-90s.  Most of the hip-hop and r&b of the late '90s was targeted to Millennials.

This.

I myself think The true/pure Gen X culture was mid 80s-mid 90s. The early 80s had late boomers/generation Jones influence and late 90s had millennial influence.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 1:21 pm

I would also say the 80s was the definitive gen x decade. Most xers I speak to are 80s fans.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/15 at 1:29 pm

I would also say the 80s was the definitive gen x decade. Most xers I speak to are 80s fans.

Am I Generation X? I was born in 1974? ???

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/29/15 at 2:06 pm

I see your comment as translating late Generation X as "Millennials", which I described as 1975 through 1980 births. I call early Millennials as those born from 1981 through 1985. You don't "become" a part of your culture until you are 15 (because that's when people stop seeing you as a little kid, and you have a larger disposable income, as well as being legally able to drive a car), so the very earliest Millennials wouldn't have a say in pop culture until 1996. But they would make up a tiny minority of it.

I am going by what was popular among those who were in their late teens-early twentysomethings. This is the absolute peak of someone's interest in popular culture, with the quintessential age being 20 years old. How culture savvy were you in your early 20's? I'm trying to include the often-overlooked younger members of Generation X, and that a lot of things that people consider "Millennial" are really just late Generation X pop culture (because age-wise the mid-late '90s were their "glory days").

As a late Millennial, I would be really angry if my peers and I were overlooked in favor of what was popular among early and core Millennials; I want to be acknowledged by future generations. I can only imagine what late Generation Xers feel like when they are ignored in favor of earlier Generation X and Millennials. Especially as these members created and popularized some of the most interesting and rich pieces of popular culture I have experienced, and I believe they are truly timeless. So I'm trying to do them a favor and acknowledge and honor what they created and popularized.

From my experience most Generation X I meet are '90s fans. It's Generation Jones (b. 1955-1965) that I meet that are mostly the '80s fans (especially the younger ones). But this is just my experience, as you have yours.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 2:32 pm

Am I Generation X? I was born in 1974? ???
Of course you are! :)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 2:34 pm

I see your comment as translating late Generation X as "Millennials", which I described as 1975 through 1980 births. I call early Millennials as those born from 1981 through 1985. You don't "become" a part of your culture until you are 15 (because that's when people stop seeing you as a little kid, and you have a larger disposable income, as well as being legally able to drive a car), so the very earliest Millennials wouldn't have a say in pop culture until 1996. But they would make up a tiny minority of it.

I am going by what was popular among those who were in their late teens-early twentysomethings. This is the absolute peak of someone's interest in popular culture, with the quintessential age being 20 years old. How culture savvy were you in your early 20's? I'm trying to include the often-overlooked younger members of Generation X, and that a lot of things that people consider "Millennial" are really just late Generation X pop culture (because age-wise the mid-late '90s were their "glory days").

As a late Millennial, I would be really angry if my peers and I were overlooked in favor of what was popular among early and core Millennials; I want to be acknowledged by future generations. I can only imagine what late Generation Xers feel like when they are ignored in favor of earlier Generation X and Millennials. Especially as these members created and popularized some of the most interesting and rich pieces of popular culture I have experienced, and I believe they are truly timeless. So I'm trying to do them a favor and acknowledge and honor what they created and popularized.

From my experience most Generation X I meet are '90s fans. It's Generation Jones (b. 1955-1965) that I meet that are mostly the '80s fans (especially the younger ones). But this is just my experience, as you have yours.

Wow, that's interesting! Almost every 55-59 born I've come across ALWAYS prefer the 70s to the 80s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 2:37 pm

This conversation is getting fun!! What do you consider to be late millennials ????

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/29/15 at 3:19 pm

Wow, that's interesting! Almost every 55-59 born I've come across ALWAYS prefer the 70s to the 80s.

Same here. I think the Disco/New Wave/Power Pop period was their "heyday".

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/29/15 at 3:25 pm

This conversation is getting fun!! What do you consider to be late millennials ????

Well, since the world has been changing at a quicker pace since the 1960's, it makes sense that Generations are gradually getting shorter. I consider Generation X to be 16 years in length (birth-wise). There were also way less people born in this generation than Baby Boomers and Millennials. Since Millennials have such huge numbers (more than the Baby Boomer generation, but this could be because a lot of Boomers have died over the decades.), I would say that the span is the same–16 years.

I consider early Gen Yers to be those born 1981-1985 (5 years). I see core Yers as those born 1986-1990 (5 years). And I see late Yers as those born 1991-1996 (6 years). It's all relative really.. My view isn't be-all-end-all.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/29/15 at 3:32 pm

1996 was right around the time where culture shifted from Generation X to Millennials.  I think your OP for the most part is spot on, with the exception that the video games and a few of the TV shows you listed are Millennial trends rather than GenX.

Consoles like the N64 and PS1, while they certainly were relevant to late GenX, were primarily targeted to Millennials.  Somebody born in 1976 would have probably had an Atari in their early childhood and an NES a little later.  They would have had a Sega Genesis during their teen years.  Their teen years would also have been during the peak of the mall arcade, a place they likely would have spent a lot of time and money.  By the time the N64 came out they would have been past their prime video gaming age.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/29/15 at 3:47 pm

the late 90s were mainly millennial dominated culture!

Yes, this!

Once you are older than 10, your perception is different from your earlier part of childhood. Titanic for example is not really a childhood memory for me. Early Y was older than 10 for a good chunk of the 90s (including my birth year), so they are definitely part of it.

But I agree that most of the 90s was primarly "X culture", whereas the late 90s-late 00s was primarily "Y culture".

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 4:08 pm

Well, since the world has been changing at a quicker pace since the 1960's, it makes sense that Generations are gradually getting shorter. I consider Generation X to be 16 years in length (birth-wise). There were also way less people born in this generation than Baby Boomers and Millennials. Since Millennials have such huge numbers (more than the Baby Boomer generation, but this could be because a lot of Boomers have died over the decades.), I would say that the span is the same–16 years.

I consider early Gen Yers to be those born 1981-1985 (5 years). I see core Yers as those born 1986-1990 (5 years). And I see late Yers as those born 1991-1996 (6 years). It's all relative really.. My view isn't be-all-end-all.

and 1997-2000/01 y/z cusp

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 4:11 pm

Yes, this!

Once you are older than 10, your perception is different from your earlier part of childhood. Titanic for example is not really a childhood memory for me. Early Y was older than 10 for a good chunk of the 90s (including my birth year), so they are definitely part of it.

But I agree that most of the 90s was primarly "X culture", whereas the late 90s-late 00s was primarily "Y culture".

That's kind of a reason years ago on youtube some 90s kid debates got heated because people my age(Early 20s) remembered the 1999 kid culture but not the 1990 kid cutlutre that people your age (late 20s/early 30s) remembered.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 4:15 pm

1996 was right around the time where culture shifted from Generation X to Millennials.  I think your OP for the most part is spot on, with the exception that the video games and a few of the TV shows you listed are Millennial trends rather than GenX.

Consoles like the N64 and PS1, while they certainly were relevant to late GenX, were primarily targeted to Millennials.  Somebody born in 1976 would have probably had an Atari in their early childhood and an NES a little later.  They would have had a Sega Genesis during their teen years.  Their teen years would also have been during the peak of the mall arcade, a place they likely would have spent a lot of time and money.  By the time the N64 came out they would have been past their prime video gaming age.

Yup. :)Just like I myself (a young millennial) early chidlhood game was the N64 and my later childhood PS2/XBOX. Then my teen years were mainly during the PS3/XBOX 360 era. Now I have the PS4 at almost 20 years old. I'm NOWHERE NEAR as interested in gaming like I used to be. I now sadly :\'( consider myself officially past my gaming prime. ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 4:19 pm

1996 was right around the time where culture shifted from Generation X to Millennials.  I think your OP for the most part is spot on, with the exception that the video games and a few of the TV shows you listed are Millennial trends rather than GenX

2016 might be when the culture offically shifts from Gen Y to Gen Z!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 4:24 pm

Seems pretty spot on so far, 1985 is the end for early millennials because they were the last ones who were still trying to hang on to the late 90s during the early 00s years. You included 1990 to be the end for the core years since most of them graduated before that changeful fall of 2008.

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 04/29/15 at 4:52 pm

Why would you lump those born in 1991 into the same cohort as those born on 1996? I mean I actually remember 1996 for crying out loud! I also spent most of my teens in the 2000s just like late 80s born whereas mid 90s borns would have spent more of their adolescents in the 2010s. I understand where you are coming from that we were still in high school in late late 2008/2009 era, but it is not like we spent much time in that changeful time to say I fit into the same cohort as 1996 borns. I personally always culturally closer to those born in the late 80s more so than this born in the mid 90s. I have even heard heard people say those born from 1984-1992 are the core of the millenial generation and others have said 1986-1992. I know you said it isn't be all end all, but I just prefer not to be lumped into a cohort that I don't belong to.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 5:30 pm

Why would you lump those born in 1991 into the same cohort as those born on 1996? I mean I actually remember 1996 for crying out loud! I also spent most of my teens in the 2000s just like late 80s born whereas mid 90s borns would have spent more of their adolescents in the 2010s. I understand where you are coming from that we were still in high school in late late 2008/2009 era, but it is not like we spent much time in that changeful time to say I fit into the same cohort as 1996 borns. I personally always culturally closer to those born in the late 80s more so than this born in the mid 90s. I have even heard heard people say those born from 1984-1992 are the core of the millenial generation and others have said 1986-1992. I know you said it isn't be all end all, but I just prefer not to be lumped into a cohort that I don't belong to.

Since you were born in June of 91 you fit right in with late 1990ers,92 ers,and 93ers.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/29/15 at 5:49 pm

Yup. :)Just like I myself (a young millennial) early chidlhood game was the N64 and my later childhood PS2/XBOX. Then my teen years were mainly during the PS3/XBOX 360 era. Now I have the PS4 at almost 20 years old. I'm NOWHERE NEAR as interested in gaming like I used to be. I now sadly :\'( consider myself officially past my gaming prime. ;D

Video games appeal primarily to teenagers and college students.  At 29 I still play the occasional video game but I am nowhere near as into it as I was prior to age 21. 

Written By: bchris02 on 04/29/15 at 5:52 pm

2016 might be when the culture offically shifts from Gen Y to Gen Z!

I think we've been in the cusp era for a few years now.  Ariana Grande doesn't appeal to Generation Y.

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 04/29/15 at 6:12 pm

Since you were born in June of 91 you fit right in with late 1990ers,92 ers,and 93ers.
But why exactly would I fit in more with 93ers than say 89ers who are also only 2 years apart from me in age? I remember the atmosphere of the old school mid 90s era(specifically 1995 and 1996) and I would of turned 18 before 2010 and spent most of my teens before the recession, electropop and Obama era just like an 89er did wheras a 93er would of spent a bit more of their teens during the recession era so I don't see how exactly do I fit more with 93ers than 89ers? I don't think I relate very well with late 93ers, they definetly seem a bit different from me in terms of childhood experiences and memories, I can in a way relate to early and mid 93ers in a way being that we are only 2 years apart, but I am also 2 years apart from 89ers so I relate very well to them too. I just don't know why people would choose to lump me more into the 93er cohort rather than the 89er cohort.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 6:31 pm

But why exactly would I fit in more with 93ers than say 89ers who are also only 2 years apart from me in age? I remember the atmosphere of the old school mid 90s era(specifically 1995 and 1996) and I would of turned 18 before 2010 and spent most of my teens before the recession, electropop and Obama era just like an 89er did wheras a 93er would of spent a bit more of their teens during the recession era so I don't see how exactly do I fit more with 93ers than 89ers? I don't think I relate very well with late 93ers, they definetly seem a bit different from me in terms of childhood experiences and memories, I can in a way relate to early and mid 93ers in a way being that we are only 2 years apart, but I am also 2 years apart from 89ers so I relate very well to them too. I just don't know why people would choose to lump me more into the 93er cohort rather than the 89er cohort.

Well man, I only said late 90, 92, and (January-July)93ers, because you are all early 90s babies. Just like how I think I myself fit in perfectly with late 93ers,94ers,96ers and PROBABLY early 97ers.

Bascially you 91ers, 92ers, 90ers, and also 88 and 89ers were the big kids when I was little. Things I associate with my EARLY childhood years(N64,teen pop,boy bands, Y2k, later disney renaissance,Toy Story 2, Bugs life, ANTZ,cartoon cartoons,Pokemon,Digimon,early toonami,Kids WB,Disney Saturday morning,Zoog Disney,Clinton's second term etc.) were the peak of your childhood years. While my pinnacle of my childhood was mainly early 2000s years(yu gi oh, Beyblade, DBZ,Treasure planet,Emperors new groove,Dina-sours,Monsters Inc.,Finding Nemo, PS2, Bush's first term,Toonmai TOM 2, Lord of the Rings,Harry Potter 1 and 2, Spiderman and X-Men etc.)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 6:36 pm

I would of turned 18 before 2010 and spent most of my teens before the recession, electropop and Obama era just like an 89er did wheras a 93er would of spent a bit more of their teens during the recession era so I don't see how exactly do I fit more with 93ers than 89ers?

Teen years is a different story!! :o Then I would say PROBABLY 88ers and 89ers

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 6:40 pm

I just don't know why people would choose to lump me more into the 93er cohort rather than the 89er cohort.

You would have two years to see what 93ers are all about. same with 89ers as well. But overall the main reason would probably be because you were still in high school during the 08/09 school year.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 6:42 pm

Overall, my opinion
1990-1995: X
1996-1997:x-y mix
1998-1999: early Y

Written By: carriefire on 04/29/15 at 7:32 pm

Me. And I prefer the 70s to the 80s by a long margin. Added to this, most late 50s people I know prefer the 70s as well. They also prefer the 60s to the 80s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/29/15 at 8:28 pm

Me. And I prefer the 70s to the 80s by a long margin. Added to this, most late 50s people I know prefer the 70s as well. They also prefer the 60s to the 80s.

My dad (born in 1959) said he would take the swinging, psychedelic 60s and the groovy fly, yet cynical 70s over the campy and chessy 80s any day of the week twice on sunday! lol ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 04/29/15 at 11:04 pm

Well man, I only said late 90, 92, and (January-July)93ers, because you are all early 90s babies. Just like how I think I myself fit in perfectly with late 93ers,94ers,96ers and PROBABLY early 97ers.

Bascially you 91ers, 92ers, 90ers, and also 88 and 89ers were the big kids when I was little. Things I associate with my EARLY childhood years(N64,teen pop,boy bands, Y2k, later disney renaissance,Toy Story 2, Bugs life, ANTZ,cartoon cartoons,Pokemon,Digimon,early toonami,Kids WB,Disney Saturday morning,Zoog Disney,Clinton's second term etc.) were the peak of your childhood years. While my pinnacle of my childhood was mainly early 2000s years(yu gi oh, Beyblade, DBZ,Treasure planet,Emperors new groove,Dina-sours,Monsters Inc.,Finding Nemo, PS2, Bush's first term,Toonmai TOM 2, Lord of the Rings,Harry Potter 1 and 2, Spiderman and X-Men etc.)
Same could apply to early to mid 90ers as well since they are also early 90s babies, and also I must say you have a very interesting viewpoint on these groupings. Can I ask what exactly drew you to your personal conclusion on cohorts and what birth years you or anyone else for that matter fits into?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/15 at 12:21 am

Same could apply to early to mid 90ers as well since they are also early 90s babies, and also I must say you have a very interesting viewpoint on these groupings. Can I ask what exactly drew you to your personal conclusion on cohorts and what birth years you or anyone else for that matter fits into?

Well what I stated before, was what I kinda thought when I was growing up! By the way I didn't include early-mid 1990ers was becuase they mainly graduated in 2008 while late 1990ers mainly graduated in 2009 with 91ers.

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/30/15 at 12:26 am

http://www.meme.rumbaar.net/cache/whatever/1213775338563.jpg_595.jpg

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/30/15 at 4:19 am

Which generation do you consider my parents (born '61, '62)?
Their teenhood was in the punk/disco time and when they grew up, they made New Wave music. In 1980/1 they were seen as a lost generation because of the crisis. Are they gen X? No, they are very different. Are they Boomers? I don't think so.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/30/15 at 6:05 am

Video games appeal primarily to teenagers and college students.  At 29 I still play the occasional video game but I am nowhere near as into it as I was prior to age 21.

Don't speak for everyone. I was at the height of my gaming days in my mid 20's. There are others older than me who are more serious gamers yet.

It would be the same thing as lumping me in with someone born in '81. I don't relate to them that much. It's still a four year difference, but that's significant when you're at different stages of life. One's a teenager and the other is still a kid, or one is 20 something and the other in high school. Culturally an early 90's baby would be a 90's/2000's kid hybrid. You'd be familiar with the late 90's the most, but old enough in your teenage years to like the same pop culture earlier born millennials had.

1985 is peak Y, not early! The 80's is the first wave, the 90's is the second. You're a late part of the second wave. Late X are surely still acknowledged as X, but 1980 is a weird one that might just have more Y traits. You can't make absolute statements like that either, about 20 year olds being at their peak interest in pop culture. Generally that winds down by the later half of ones 20's, but it depends on the person. Plus, once you're in middle shcool you're not seen as a little kid then either, and ages 12, 13, and 14 are very much well aware of current pop culture of the times and old enough to participate in enough of it. Some schools hold dances that soon, and there are teen clubs or other venues. If you go skating instead they always play music, much of which tends to be current.

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/30/15 at 9:01 am

Their teenhood was in the punk/disco time and when they grew up, they made New Wave music. In 1980/1 they were seen as a lost generation because of the crisis. Are they gen X? No, they are very different. Are they Boomers? I don't think so.

Generation Jones!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/30/15 at 9:04 am

Isn't generation X born 1965 to 1979?

So the average Xer would have been born in 1972, a 1972 person turned 12 in 1984 and turned 25 in 1997.

So 1984 to 1997??

I always saw 12 to 25 as the target age for most movies and music!

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/30/15 at 9:41 am

Generation Jones!

Ok! Wow, it seems like my parents and I walk the same road; given lots of expectations in good economic times (60s vs 90s), but when reaching adulthood economic crisis erupts. (1980 vs. "now"); also punk/disco vs pop punk/EDM. Interesting :o

Anyways.. your analysis is good.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/30/15 at 10:30 am

So 1984 to 1997??

Yeah, that's what I thought. That's probably the peak X era. In 1997, peak generation Y was still too young for most pop culture, and X slowly grew out of it.

Or to describe it in another way: The childhood era of one generation is usually THE era of the previous generation. This, however, only works, if a generation is no longer than 13-15 years...

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/30/15 at 10:38 am

At 29 I still play the occasional video game but I am nowhere near as into it as I was prior to age 21.

Same to me. My video gaming era was basically the first half of the 2000s, and maybe up to 2008. At 22, I lost interest in it. I am still thinking of getting GTA V, though ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/15 at 10:38 am

Their late boomers or generation Jones I guess

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/15 at 10:48 am

1985 is peak Y, not early!

I'm not sure Katana, I recall, late 1985/86 born were the last class that was still trying to hang to to the late 90s. Hell, I think that late 1987/88 is more peak y. I defiantly consider late 1981-1985 to be early y.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/15 at 10:49 am

http://www.meme.rumbaar.net/cache/whatever/1213775338563.jpg_595.jpg

This thread is not getting silly please you're overreacting lol. ;D ;D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/30/15 at 11:27 am

late 1985/86 born were the last class that was still trying to hang to to the late 90s.

I don't think that's very relevant. 1999/2000 was very similar, or even 1998-2002. I don't think that hanging to the late 90s was that different from hanging to the early 2000s. I am more hanging to the early 2000s though. Late 1999-2005 is an era I really miss.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/15 at 12:28 pm

I don't think that's very relevant. 1999/2000 was very similar, or even 1998-2002. I don't think that hanging to the late 90s was that different from hanging to the early 2000s. I am more hanging to the early 2000s though. Late 1999-2005 is an era I really miss.

The real reason I said that was because it was the adults who helped usher in the 2000s and young people back then were still trying to hang on to the late 90s until 2004/05ish.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/30/15 at 12:45 pm

Don't speak for everyone. I was at the height of my gaming days in my mid 20's. There are others older than me who are more serious gamers yet.

True, there are definitely older gamers.  I had somewhat of a second wave of game enthusiasm in my mid-20s as well around the time of Skyrim.  However, I used to moderate an online forum devoted to gaming and 90% of the members were age 13 to 22 with the remaining 10% being in their later 20s and a few older than that.  I find for the most part that is still the case today.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/15 at 12:59 pm

True, there are definitely older gamers.  I had somewhat of a second wave of game enthusiasm in my mid-20s as well around the time of Skyrim.  However, I used to moderate an online forum devoted to gaming and 90% of the members were age 13 to 22 with the remaining 10% being in their later 20s and a few older than that.  I find for the most part that is still the case today.

With me being in college I don't have the time for games like I did. 2014 also was kind of a terrible year for gaming.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/30/15 at 3:09 pm

With me being in college I don't have the time for games like I did. 2014 also was kind of a terrible year for gaming.

I personally think gaming peaked in 2004.  There have been some great games since then but there hasn't been another year like 2004 since with so many great games of all genres across all platforms.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/15 at 3:17 pm

Of course you are! :)

I wasn't crazy for the 90's.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/15 at 3:18 pm

I'm guessing that's the era they grew up with.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/15 at 3:20 pm

At 29 I still play the occasional video game but I am nowhere near as into it as I was prior to age 21. 

I'm 41 years old and I still play wrestling video games, Can you believe that? ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/30/15 at 3:22 pm

I've been into video games for about 28 years now.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/15 at 3:24 pm

Same to me. My video gaming era was basically the first half of the 2000s, and maybe up to 2008. At 22, I lost interest in it. I am still thinking of getting GTA V, though

My video game era was between 1985-1990 when it first started.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/30/15 at 5:44 pm

You don't "become" a part of your culture until you are 15 (because that's when people stop seeing you as a little kid, and you have a larger disposable income, as well as being legally able to drive a car), so the very earliest Millennials wouldn't have a say in pop culture until 1996. But they would make up a tiny minority of it.
Actually it starts at 10 years old. By that time, one's interests, experiences and hobbies change. I can see people born in 2004-05 today watching non-cartoons, listening to mainstream music, and hanging with their friends more than just playing on the jungle gym. The oldest millennials would have participated in pop culture at that time between 1991 and 1994/95 considering they were 10 and over during this time period. Additionally, you are not considered a little kid anymore when you're 10 as the person is entering adolescence.

Since we're speaking about the 90s. The definitive decade for X would actually be the 80s because most of them were adolescents/young adults at that time. By the mid 90s, the very earliest millennials were already in high school and the Xers were either in late high school or most of college. That would mean the pop culture was shifting from X to Y gradually throughout the decade until the late 90s. After that, the X influence was gone and the millennial vibe began.

Actually, you are in between both cohorts. Your age group were between the C/O 2006 (1987-88) and C/O 2012 (1993-94). Since you were part of 2009 class, I can see why you seem to fit more with those born in 1989 as some were in the C/O 2008 while the 1993 babies were either in the C/O 2011 or 2012. By the time the majority of '93 borns began HS in 2007, you were already a junior; the rest who started in 2008, you were a senior making it difficult for you to relate to them despite them being 2/3 years apart from you. As for your second statement, adolescent works better than teenager, but I know what you mean. Your entire adolescence occurred throughout the 2000s when you turned 10 in 2001 and 18 in 2009; conversely, a 1993 baby started adolescence from 2003 to 2011 which although is a 2 year difference, so much can happen. For instance, while you were in jr high in 2003, a 1993 born wasn't as the individual was either in 4th/5th grade making them still in elementary. Since you remember the mid 90s really well, it makes your childhood more distinct as a 1993 baby can only remember 1996 and the rest is late 90s and after.

I'm in the same position as Gdowe. Everything you mentioned that were part of your early childhood were part of my peak childhood. For example, I remember when Pokemon and Digimon first started and became extremely popular; the cartoons cartoons were in their prime during my peak; I was halfway finished with elementary school by the time Clinton left office in 2001; last, I was in jr. high before Bush 2's first term ended.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/01/15 at 7:36 am

It may just be that gaming forums can become troll havens easily and people in their 20's usually wouldn't have time for that. Not entirely sure.

I personally think gaming peaked in 2004.  There have been some great games since then but there hasn't been another year like 2004 since with so many great games of all genres across all platforms.

The 2000's did have more variety. Lots of Final Fantasy games, Tomb Raider, God of War, and different shooters like Halo, Metal Gear Solid, and Splinter Cell.

I'm 41 years old and I still play wrestling video games, Can you believe that? ;D

No shame in it!

I'm not sure Katana, I recall, late 1985/86 born were the last class that was still trying to hang to to the late 90s. Hell, I think that late 1987/88 is more peak y. I defiantly consider late 1981-1985 to be early y.

I don't know how they'd have been hanging onto the late 90's. I for one don't miss my jr. high years, and every high schooler I knew had certainly outgrown 7th and 8th grade fads.  ???

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/06/15 at 7:29 pm

I wasn't crazy for the 90's.

Don't worry, many people your age like the 80s better anyway!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/06/15 at 11:09 pm

I'm in the same position as Gdowe. Everything you mentioned that were part of your early childhood were part of my peak childhood. For example, I remember when Pokemon and Digimon first started and became extremely popular; the cartoons cartoons were in their prime during my peak; I was halfway finished with elementary school by the time Clinton left office in 2001; last, I was in jr. high before Bush 2's first term ended.

Well, you know what man; to be honest, 2 years isn't that big tho! I can relate quite well to 93ers and relate well to those who are early 97ers(class of 2015).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/06/15 at 11:31 pm

Well, you know what man; to be honest, 2 years isn't that big tho! I can relate quite well to 93ers and relate well to those who are early 97ers(class of 2015).
That's true. Same for me, i can relate to 91ers very well. As for you, you're not far either. I can definitely relate to you and others your age. I can see the 1991 to 1995 group share similar qualities. However, some 91 babies might not relate to a 95 baby considering there's a 4 year difference and that they were in high school during the 00s while the 95 people were in HS mostly in the early 10s.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/15 at 1:41 pm

Don't worry, many people your age like the 80s better anyway!

It was a bland decade.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/10/15 at 2:12 pm

I've been noticing this happening with myself as of late. I'm turning 28 in a few weeks, and I just haven't had as much free time to devote to video games as I once did. I remember that, when I first started earning my own money in the early '00s, I was spending almost all of it on new video games. Back around 2001 and 2002, between myself and my brother, we were getting somewhere in the ballpark of 10-15 new games per year.

Nowadays it's a totally different story. I think I've purchased maybe five new games in the last two years. Usually, when I do set aside time to play games now, it's the old 8-bit and 16-bit titles that I grew up on.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/11/15 at 4:22 pm

I've been noticing this happening with myself as of late. I'm turning 28 in a few weeks, and I just haven't had as much free time to devote to video games as I once did. I remember that, when I first started earning my own money in the early '00s, I was spending almost all of it on new video games. Back around 2001 and 2002, between myself and my brother, we were getting somewhere in the ballpark of 10-15 new games per year.

Nowadays it's a totally different story. I think I've purchased maybe five new games in the last two years. Usually, when I do set aside time to play games now, it's the old 8-bit and 16-bit titles that I grew up on.

I still have games I didn't finish. I get stuck at a point then say "screw it" and quit. I don't buy 10 a year of course, just over the years and preferably used. I have a hard time getting into playing alot of games because I'm picky.

Written By: XYkid on 05/11/15 at 9:43 pm

The early and mid 90s were very Generation X, but the late 90s were the start of Generation Y culture.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/12/15 at 6:28 am

Each generation and each decade seems to have a different focus in a way that I've comprised a table here that combines the decade with generation that focuses on a different stage of life.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k628/yelimsexa/generationaltable_zps3xffesca.png

You'll notice for each decade, the progression moves diagonally downwards to the left as we progress to older generations, and this all shifts to the right as time progresses. You'll find that this chart is centered around the year 2000 since this was approximately when most of the WWII or "Lost" generation born around the turn of the 20th century passed on, and ends around the end of this century when most of Generation Z will meet one of life's two certainties. As you can see here, the 1990s had a diverse variety of age groups represented (and targeted by different organizations), from Millenial children like me to the late adolescent/young adult Gen Xers to the middle-aged (especially for the earlier part of the generation) Boomers to the "Elvis Generation" in its retirement phase while still finding their oldies on the radio and on Nick at Nite to the "GI Generation" enjoying their golden years to finally the doughboys (the old Gilbert & Sullivan, Lawrence Welk-type people) sadly in their dying phase.

That said, I see most of the definitive culture of course occuring during the adolescence and earlier half of the young adulthood, since the later part of this phase is much more settled with families as opposed to singles and DINKs.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/12/15 at 9:59 am

Each generation and each decade seems to have a different focus in a way that I've comprised a table here that combines the decade with generation that focuses on a different stage of life.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k628/yelimsexa/generationaltable_zps3xffesca.png

You'll notice for each decade, the progression moves diagonally downwards to the left as we progress to older generations, and this all shifts to the right as time progresses. You'll find that this chart is centered around the year 2000 since this was approximately when most of the WWII or "Lost" generation born around the turn of the 20th century passed on, and ends around the end of this century when most of Generation Z will meet one of life's two certainties. As you can see here, the 1990s had a diverse variety of age groups represented (and targeted by different organizations), from Millenial children like me to the late adolescent/young adult Gen Xers to the middle-aged (especially for the earlier part of the generation) Boomers to the "Elvis Generation" in its retirement phase while still finding their oldies on the radio and on Nick at Nite to the "GI Generation" enjoying their golden years to finally the doughboys (the old Gilbert & Sullivan, Lawrence Welk-type people) sadly in their dying phase.

That said, I see most of the definitive culture of course occuring during the adolescence and earlier half of the young adulthood, since the later part of this phase is much more settled with families as opposed to singles and DINKs.

You put a lot of effort into this but it seems you focus on the older members of each generation. I'm a Millennial, and my adolescence is the 2010s. And I wouldn't consider 12 an adolescent. You're still a little kid at 12 years old, and a person's brain at that age is nowhere close to being adult-like.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/12/15 at 10:19 am

Somehow one my post got deleted (or I didn't post it right). Generation culture transitions are not like decade culture transitions: they take longer. How I see it, someone "becomes" a part of their culture at 15 years (when they start high school) and ends when they turn 25. 1996 is only a tiny part Millennial influence (when the oldest members turn 15, so like 5%). And the percentage increases a little by each year. Even 1999 was still dominated by Generation X, as most popular music wasn't teen pop. It was hip-hop and R&B.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/12/15 at 10:26 am

Calm down dude. I fit it because it makes sense. People born in 1986 would complain that they remember 1991. So if you were core Millennial, they would complain. Besides, both the 2000's and the 2010's are your "coming-of-age" decades (like all people born in the early '90s).

1984-1992 and 1986-1992 as "core Millennials" is way too broad. At the shortest, Generation Y is 16 years (the same length as Generation X). At the longest, Generation Y is 20 years. It's debatable as to when Generation Y ends and Z starts.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/12/15 at 11:54 am

Somehow one my post got deleted (or I didn't post it right). Generation culture transitions are a lot like decade culture: they take longer. How I see it, someone "becomes" a part of their culture at 15 years (when they start high school) and ends when they turn 25. 1996 is only a tiny part Millennial influence (when the oldest members turn 15, so like 5%). And the percentage increases a little by each year. Even 1999 was still dominated by Generation X, as most popular music wasn't teen pop. It was hip-hop and R&B.

Wow, a lot of people including myself think 1999 was teen pop and boy band dominated! You're one of the first to say hip hop and R&B Dominated, interesting.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/12/15 at 12:50 pm

Wow, a lot of people including myself think 1999 was teen pop and boy band dominated! You're one of the first to say hip hop and R&B Dominated, interesting.

It probably received the most attention, but it wasn't the only popular style of music. Here is the Hot 100 Year-End chart for 1999:

http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/1999

Only a little less than songs qualify as "teen pop".

1. Angel of Mine - Monica (her only teen pop song)
2. ...Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
3. Genie in a Bottle - Christina Aguilera
4. Where My Girls At? - 702
5. I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys
6. Bills, Bills, Bills - Destiny's Child
7. All I Have to Give - Backstreet Boys
8. The Hardest Thing - 98 Degrees
9. Summer Girls - LFO
10. (God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time On You - 'N Sync
11. 808 - Blaque
12. (I Do) Cherish You - 98 Degrees
13. Because Of You - 98 Degrees
14. Almost Doesn't Count - Brandy (debatable)
15. Sometimes - Britney Spears
16. Take Me There - Blackstreet & Mya (Neither are teen pop, but this song definitely is)
17. Music of My Heart - 'N Sync & Gloria Estefan
18. God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You (feat. 'N Sync) - Alabama (teen country-pop)
didn't make the year end list
19. Bug a Boo - Destiny's Child
20. (You Drive Me) Crazy - Britney Spears
21. Larger Than Life - Backstreet Boys

Still a crap load of teen pop. I actually hate all of these XD

Overall 1999 was not the best year of the decade for music, but it was very good and there were a lot of great songs that year. Definitely better than any year from the mid 2000's to present IMO.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/12/15 at 1:15 pm

It probably received the most attention, but it wasn't the only popular style of music. Here is the Hot 100 Year-End chart for 1999:

http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/1999

Only a little over 10 songs qualify as "teen pop".

1. Angel of Mine - Monica (her only teen pop song)
2. ...Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
3. Genie in a Bottle - Christina Aguilera
4. Where My Girls At? - 702
5. I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys
6. Bills, Bills, Bills - Destiny's Child
7. All I Have to Give - Backstreet Boys
8. The Hardest Thing - 98 Degrees
9. Summer Girls - LFO
10. (God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time On You - 'N Sync
11. 808 - Blaque
12. (I Do) Cherish You - 98 Degrees
13. Because Of You - 98 Degrees
14. Almost Doesn't Count - Brandy (debatable)
15. Sometimes - Britney Spears
16. Take Me There - Blackstreet & Mya (Neither are teen pop, but this song definitely is)
17. Music of My Heart - 'N Sync & Gloria Estefan
18. God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You (feat. 'N Sync) - Alabama (teen country-pop)
didn't make the year end list
19. Bug a Boo - Destiny's Child
20. (You Drive Me) Crazy - Britney Spears
21. Larger Than Life - Backstreet Boys

Still a crap load of teen pop. I actually hate all of these XD

Overall 1999 was not the best year of the decade for music, but it was very good and there were a lot of great songs that year. Definitely better than any year from the mid 2000's to present IMO.

I also forgot to mention post grunge was another big part of 1999! But yes 1999 was WAY more diverse than today and that sucks! BTW 1995 is my favorite year for music followed by 1997 and 1991!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/12/15 at 1:27 pm

Somehow one my post got deleted (or I didn't post it right). Generation culture transitions are a lot like decade culture: they take longer. How I see it, someone "becomes" a part of their culture at 15 years (when they start high school) and ends when they turn 25. 1996 is only a tiny part Millennial influence (when the oldest members turn 15, so like 5%). And the percentage increases a little by each year. Even 1999 was still dominated by Generation X, as most popular music wasn't teen pop. It was hip-hop and R&B.

If you're talking about late xers; than I could see that! But I always thought the late 90s culture was aimed at both late xers and early millennials. 

Written By: Howard on 05/12/15 at 2:22 pm

I still have games I didn't finish. I get stuck at a point then say "screw it" and quit. I don't buy 10 a year of course, just over the years and preferably used. I have a hard time getting into playing alot of games because I'm picky.

which games are you talking about?

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/12/15 at 5:59 pm

Not every freshman in high school is 15. Some are still 14. Quite a few really. Plus middle school is typically when kids start to feel pop culture is important, and sometimes middle schoolers are 12 when they start. 12 year olds aren't still little kids. A 25 year old is not over the hill because they're not in their younger 20's. In your 20's there are a number of factors that can determine how in touch or out of touch with the times someone has become. You know...busy careers, having kids, getting married, but not everyone in their 20's is bogged down with all sorts of responsibilites like that.

Mid 90's borns are in a weird position. They didn't experience the 2000's as the peak of their teenage and young adult years. Theirs would be now, and they have to share with Generation Z or the cusp demographic in the culture of the times. The difference is, what Z will experience when they come of age might be something completely different, but that time hasn't come yet.

which games are you talking about?

Games I have for my Xbox360. Assassin's Creed 2, Bioshock, Wolfenstein, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands to name a few. They've become part of the Stack of Shame!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/12/15 at 8:09 pm

Not every freshman in high school is 15. Some are still 14. Quite a few really. Plus middle school is typically when kids start to feel pop culture is important, and sometimes middle schoolers are 12 when they start. 12 year olds aren't still little kids. A 25 year old is not over the hill because they're not in their younger 20's. In your 20's there are a number of factors that can determine how in touch or out of touch with the times someone has become. You know...busy careers, having kids, getting married, but not everyone in their 20's is bogged down with all sorts of responsibilites like that.

Mid 90's borns are in a weird position. They didn't experience the 2000's as the peak of their teenage and young adult years. Theirs would be now, and they have to share with Generation Z or the cusp demographic in the culture of the times. The difference is, what Z will experience when they come of age might be something completely different, but that time hasn't come yet.

Yeah, It feels like me and other mid 90s babies are like the awkward middle children! lol

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/12/15 at 10:52 pm

I agree with Arcticfox. Nice chart, but it does seem like it's comprising of only older members of each generation. If the chart presented more details of which stage each generation was entering, it would be much better. For example, millennial childhood was the 80s, 90s and 00s; millennial adolescence was/is 90s, 00s and today; millennial young adulthood was/is 00s, today and the 2020s.

I agree with Katana. Middle school students are also participating in pop culture along with high schoolers, college students and those close to 25. I would say the age range for pop culture being important is from 10 to 25. When I was in Jr high, I definitely participated in pop culture such as movies, music, events and other miscellaneous. Pop culture can affect people in many ways.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/13/15 at 2:33 am

I think, the chart is pretty good. It shows that clear distinguished (cultural) decades are more of an artificial product and that on the surface, a lot of decades were alike. I don't think, an 80s, 90s and early 2000s childhood was that different - especially when comparing it with a 30s or 40s childhood. The chart would look pretty messy, too, if it was more accurate and considered all decades.

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 05/13/15 at 11:01 am

Calm down dude. I fit it because it makes sense. People born in 1986 would complain that they remember 1991. So if you were core Millennial, they would complain. Besides, both the 2000's and the 2010's are your "coming-of-age" decades (like all people born in the early '90s).

1984-1992 and 1986-1992 as "core Millennials" is way too broad. At the shortest, Generation Y is 16 years (the same length as Generation X). At the longest, Generation Y is 20 years. It's debatable as to when Generation Y ends and Z starts.
Well maybe if we were to go 16 year span for generation y 1984-1992 would be far to big of a stretch to call "core millenials" but if we are using a 20 year span we can say that 1986-1992 birth cohort wouldn't be too unreasonable to group as "core millenials". Couldn't we? And with what you said about 86ers arguing about remembering 1991 yes you are right an 86er can argue just as much about remember 1991 and not wanting to be grouped with 91ers as a 91er can about remembering 1996 and not wanting to be grouped with 96ers, but the fact still remains that 91ers spent the majority of their adolescence in the 2000s just like an 86er, which is what I would think being a core millenial is all about, whereas a 96er spent most of their adolescence in the 2010s, making them more on the cusp between generations y and z, that's just how I see it. I guess we can agree to disagree that 1986-1992 births wouldn't be too broad of a range or unreasonable to call the "core millenial" cohort if we are talking a 20 year span, even for a span of 16 years this cohort wouldn't be too bad for this grouping.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/13/15 at 1:41 pm

A totally Generation X outfit of the mid-late 1990s:

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/73/0b/60/730b6019e395a8a5b81465bd66763b9b.jpg

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/13/15 at 2:05 pm

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/73/0b/60/730b6019e395a8a5b81465bd66763b9b.jpg

Charisma Carpenter(Cordelia) FTW!!!  8) 8)

Written By: Howard on 05/13/15 at 2:41 pm

Where is she from?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/13/15 at 3:34 pm

Where is she from?

She is from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel!!

Written By: Howard on 05/13/15 at 3:46 pm

She is from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel!!

I have never seen her before.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/14/15 at 3:39 pm

I have never seen her before.

Really? Wow. My mom is about 11 years older than you and she watched both shows when they were airing.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/15 at 4:09 pm

Really? Wow. My mom is about 11 years older than you and she watched both shows when they were airing.

I never really paid attention to Buffy.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/17/15 at 5:35 pm

The early and mid 90s were very Generation X, but the late 90s were the start of Generation Y culture.

Not so much the start as it was the emerging of it. 1997 was the first year that had some very millennial qualities to it, which was the teen pop. Backstreet Boys, Hanson, Spice Girls, and Robyn were popular that year. Everything else was still dominated by Generation X tastes. You still had ska (Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth, No Doubt), gangsta rap (2Pac, E-40, Notorious B.I.G., Foxy Brown), grunge (Bush, Third Eye Blind), and R&B (SWV, 112, Next, Toni Braxton, R. Kelly).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/18/15 at 6:04 pm

Not so much the start as it was the emerging of it. 1997 was the first year that had some very millennial qualities to it, which was the teen pop. Backstreet Boys, Hanson, Spice Girls, and Robyn were popular that year. Everything else was still dominated by Generation X tastes. You still had ska (Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth, No Doubt), gangsta rap (2Pac, E-40, Notorious B.I.G., Foxy Brown), grunge (Bush, Third Eye Blind), and R&B (SWV, 112, Next, Toni Braxton, R. Kelly).

Yeah, I also believe that the late '90s were somewhat of a "hybrid" era pop culturally, with Gen X culture coming to a close, and Millennial culture in it's early infancy. I was in junior high during this time period, so I experienced it all firsthand. Even though there were plenty of artists in the late '90s that had huge followings among older Millennials it still felt, generally speaking, like Xers were the driving force behind many of the trends.

I've seen some suggest that 1999 is the first year that belonged completely to Gen Y, but there was still plenty of Xer influence in the culture even up through the end of that year. Personally, I've often seen the fiasco that was Woodstock '99 as the last true Gen X "event". Given the fact that most people in attendence were in their late teens at the youngest, it's very unlikely that there were many Millennials running around out there, even if some of the artists that performed there (like Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock) were very popular with that age group.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/19/15 at 3:34 am

Yeah, I also believe that the late '90s were somewhat of a "hybrid" era pop culturally, with Gen X culture coming to a close, and Millennial culture in it's early infancy. I was in junior high during this time period, so I experienced it all firsthand. Even though there were plenty of artists in the late '90s that had huge followings among older Millennials it still felt, generally speaking, like Xers were the driving force behind many of the trends.

I've seen some suggest that 1999 is the first year that belonged completely to Gen Y, but there was still plenty of Xer influence in the culture even up through the end of that year. Personally, I've often seen the fiasco that was Woodstock '99 as the last true Gen X "event". Given the fact that most people in attendence were in their late teens at the youngest, it's very unlikely that there were many Millennials running around out there, even if some of the artists that performed there (like Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock) were very popular with that age group.

Of course Generation X produced the songs Y kids listened to, and were popular stars of movies they watched because that's how it always is. I remember there being a Woodstock in the late 90's, but how was it a fiasco? You probably wouldn't see younger teens at events like that due to age restrictions, because I know some concerts have them. If there were for that particular event.  ??? Limp Bizkit had a sound that I'd say could mostly just be appreciated by teenagers while Kid Rock's music matured and it wouldn't be out of place for non youths to like him. I had become a teenager in the late 90's too, so I was well aware of what was in demand at the time.  8) X side of cusp and oldest Y would be in the blend of cultures as late 70's borns would have been college age when millenial culture started up and early 80's borns would have experienced X culture during their middle school and early high school years.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/19/15 at 10:49 pm

I remember there being a Woodstock in the late 90's, but how was it a fiasco?

Honestly, I could do an entirely separate topic about the beautiful disaster that was Woodstock '99, but I'll try to sum it up in as few words as possible.

Basically what happened was total anarchy. Drugs flowed freely, waste collectors went on strike the first day and left the festival site covered in garbage, violence filled the air with over 10,000 people requiring medical treatment, countless sexual assaults were reported, and, most shamefully, eight different women claimed to have been raped right in the middle of mosh pits. Then, when it seemed like things couldn't get worse, fans rioted on the last night of the festival, setting fire to the stages, looting property, and ultimately clashing with police.

Yeah, it was pretty bad.

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/359050/slide_359050_3997534_free.jpg

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/20/15 at 4:29 pm

Honestly, I could do an entirely separate topic about the beautiful disaster that was Woodstock '99, but I'll try to sum it up in as few words as possible.

Basically what happened was total anarchy. Drugs flowed freely, waste collectors went on strike the first day and left the festival site covered in garbage, violence filled the air with over 10,000 people requiring medical treatment, countless sexual assaults were reported, and, most shamefully, eight different women claimed to have been raped right in the middle of mosh pits. Then, when it seemed like things couldn't get worse, fans rioted on the last night of the festival, setting fire to the stages, looting property, and ultimately clashing with police.

Yeah, it was pretty bad.

Yikes. What started all of this? What was the catalyst? What was the root of the problem? Why did so many women get raped?

I bet those rapists have daughters now.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/20/15 at 5:09 pm

Yeah, it was pretty bad.

Omg!  :o Crowd control and security must have been lacking if it got that bad. Have they had another one since?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/21/15 at 9:43 pm

Yikes. What started all of this? What was the catalyst? What was the root of the problem? Why did so many women get raped?

I bet those rapists have daughters now.

Well, the main problem at Woodstock '99 was a lack of adequate security. If you take a bunch of unsupervised young people, then throw in a ton of hard drugs and loud Limp Bizkit music, you're going to have some serious trouble if you lack a competent security force to keep order.

As for the rioting on the last day, I would say that the catalyst for that was an anger among the attendees that had been produced by the overall "feel" of the festival. It was extremely hot (this was held in mid-July), the condition of the grounds were terrible due to the trash overflow, and everything was massively overpriced (just one ticket cost $150, and even a single bottle of water ran you like 10 bucks). All of that created a really tense atmosphere around the festival grounds, and by the time things started to get out of hand, most of the people there were more than ready to riot.

Omg!  :o Crowd control and security must have been lacking if it got that bad. Have they had another one since?

Nope, Woodstock '99 was such a huge financial and PR disaster that they have never had another commemorative event. Perhaps that could change for the 50th anniversary of Woodstock in 2019, though.

Written By: ralfy on 05/22/15 at 12:48 pm

Punk and New Wave should be considered. For movies, Valley Girl, The Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Ridgemont High and more, especially those featuring

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brat_Pack_%28actors%29

For TV shows, Miami Vice, Cheers, etc.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/22/15 at 4:10 pm

Punk and New Wave should be considered. For movies, Valley Girl, The Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Ridgemont High and more, especially those featuring

Actually, most of what you said is Generation Jones. Here is a quiz that was made in 1999, featuring most of the various trivia. This is probably made for '60s born Generation Jones (1960-1964), but it's still something.

http://enquirer.com/editions/1999/11/12/loc_a_generation_jones.html

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/22/15 at 7:38 pm

Artic Fox is correct. That's generation Jones and EARLY Gen x type culture! That's basically early-mid 80s Gen X culture!

Written By: ralfy on 05/23/15 at 12:00 pm

Actually, most of what you said is Generation Jones. Here is a quiz that was made in 1999, featuring most of the various trivia. This is probably made for '60s born Generation Jones (1960-1964), but it's still something.

http://enquirer.com/editions/1999/11/12/loc_a_generation_jones.html

It's X:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X#Characteristics_and_demographics

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125779781

I think it's highly unlikely that several of the examples in my post were meant only for viewers in their early to mid-twenties.

Written By: ralfy on 05/23/15 at 12:19 pm

Artic Fox is correct. That's generation Jones and EARLY Gen x type culture! That's basically early-mid 80s Gen X culture!

It's all Gen X.

Since Coupland made the term popular, then I'd look at '61-'81.

I consider pop culture from one's teenage years to be the most influential. In which case, pop works to consider would come from the mid-70s to first few years of the 1980s for the early years, then much of the 1980s serving as the core, and finally the late '80s to the mid-'90s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/23/15 at 4:15 pm

It's X:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X#Characteristics_and_demographics

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125779781

I think it's highly unlikely that several of the examples in my post were meant only for viewers in their early to mid-twenties.

You're right, they're not, but the Wikipedia article doesn't explain any cultural characteristics. It only explains societal and political characteristics, and I'm actually a member of Wikipedia. That article could easily be revised and expanded. The Baby Boom Generation and the Millennial Generation articles are both more thoroughly developed.

Regarding the NPR article, that mostly explains older Generation Xers. You see, John Hughes's movies aren't exactly timeless. They say he became a hermit and left Hollywood in the mid 1990's, as he was receiving a lot of criticism for his films (as a part of the '80s backlash-thing), and it started to make him feel insecure. However, he never stopped writing–his son said. The films became cool again in the mid 2000's as a part of the '80s nostalgia craze (I remember it myself, albeit vaguely).

Generally, movies aren't aimed at just young people. Anyone from children to older adults can see them. If movies were only aimed at young people, my parents would not have bothered to see the Hunger Games movies and the superhero ones with me and my brother.

It's all Gen X.

http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/2014/02/21/are-younger-boomers-generation-jones/5708989/
This explains my point quite well.

So no, it's not all Generation X. See below.

Since Coupland made the term popular, then I'd look at '61-'81.

First of all, he's only one guy. Secondly, the Generational birth span is debatable, but it's generally accepted that Generation X is shorter than most. A lot of those Wikipedia posts were made in the 2011 range, which is quickly becoming outdated. I would actually take it more seriously if it was made in the '90s, or within the last year.

http://www.jour.unr.edu/outpost/specials/genx.overvw2.html
This was made in 1997, six years after the novel came out. This means that it was made when the Generation X label was rather fresh, and many core and all of the younger members were under the age of 25 - meaning that their culture was still shaping up.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/06/05/generation-x-americas-neglected-middle-child/
This one was made last year. It describes Generation X as 16 years, which I agree with.

Generation X is 1965-1980, not 1961-1981.

I consider pop culture from one's teenage years to be the most influential. In which case, pop works to consider would come from the mid-70s to first few years of the 1980s for the early years, then much of the 1980s serving as the core, and finally the late '80s to the mid-'90s.

If that were the case, going by your view, disco would be a Generation X thing. It's not. Pop culture is also much broader than the teenage years. That's a very black and white way of looking at it.

Look at this:
http://time.com/money/3756748/gen-x-brands-favorites-millennials-hate/
Nothing on this list by Time Magazine in uniquely '80s. It either is both '80s and '90s or uniquely '90s.

http://musicmachinery.com/tag/demographics/
This describes music demographics. It also leads to another source.

http://www.emarketer.com/Article/With-Streaming-Sharing-Teens-Find-Ways-Around-Paying-Music/1009446
It holds an important image, which states the age that most people were streaming music in 2011 (which was already a huge trend back then. I remember - I was 15 years old.).
http://www.emarketer.com/images/chart_gifs/142001-143000/142948.gif

As you can see, the 16-20 age range held the most power, with 49%. The 21-24 age range held the second most power, with 46%. The 13-15 held the least of all the "young" age groups, with 41%, holding equal with the 25-34 age range. So people's interest in popular culture doesn't peak in their high school years, but shortly after it.

Another way to prove my point:
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2014/who-is-the-electronic-music-listener.html
Although this does focus on only one genre of music, it was made by Nielsen, which has been crucial in collecting data on music sales and as a result has been affecting the Billboard charts for at least 25 years.

With all of this said, I stand firm on my belief that the 1990s are the most definitive decade of Generation X.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/15 at 5:37 pm

So it says in my age group (37-44), it says 37%.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/23/15 at 7:42 pm

With all of this said, I stand firm on my belief that the 1990s are the most definitive decade of Generation X.

If you feel/think that the 90s was the definitive gen x decade, do you feel the 70s are definitive boomer decade, and 10s the definitive Gen Y/millennial decade?

Written By: ralfy on 05/23/15 at 11:13 pm

You're right, they're not, but the Wikipedia article doesn't explain any cultural characteristics. It only explains societal and political characteristics, and I'm actually a member of Wikipedia. That article could easily be revised and expanded. The Baby Boom Generation and the Millennial Generation articles are both more thoroughly developed.

I'm not sure how cultural characteristics differ across a few years. They usually involve several decades.

Regarding the NPR article, that mostly explains older Generation Xers. You see, John Hughes's movies aren't exactly timeless. They say he became a hermit and left Hollywood in the mid 1990's, as he was receiving a lot of criticism for his films (as a part of the '80s backlash-thing), and it started to make him feel insecure. However, he never stopped writing–his son said. The films became cool again in the mid 2000's as a part of the '80s nostalgia craze (I remember it myself, albeit vaguely).

It shouldn't if older Xers became teens during the late '70s.

Generally, movies aren't aimed at just young people. Anyone from children to older adults can see them. If movies were only aimed at young people, my parents would not have bothered to see the Hunger Games movies and the superhero ones with me and my brother.

But the ones who identify most with such films are teens. Ask the same parents what they believe represents their generation and it's highly unlikely that they'll mention Hunger Games.

http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/2014/02/21/are-younger-boomers-generation-jones/5708989/
This explains my point quite well.

So no, it's not all Generation X. See below.

But the examples given in the article are from the '60s and '70s. Most of the examples I gave are from the '80s.

First of all, he's only one guy. Secondly, the Generational birth span is debatable, but it's generally accepted that Generation X is shorter than most. A lot of those Wikipedia posts were made in the 2011 range, which is quickly becoming outdated. I would actually take it more seriously if it was made in the '90s, or within the last year.

The point is that he popularized the term. Thus, the beginning is either '61 or '65. The latter is usually chosen so that there would be two-decade spans for each generation. Hence, '45-'65 for the boomers and '65-'85 for Gen X. The problem is that Millennials are usually seen as part of the last two decades of the millennium. This might explain Generation Jones, which makes it either late boomer or early Gen X. For me, it's the latter, as many of the pop works that became part of their teen life appeared during the late '70s and very early '80s.

http://www.jour.unr.edu/outpost/specials/genx.overvw2.html
This was made in 1997, six years after the novel came out. This means that it was made when the Generation X label was rather fresh, and many core and all of the younger members were under the age of 25 - meaning that their culture was still shaping up.

Yes, but the works that influenced them would have come from their teenage years, i.e., around 1987. Now, take the middle group of Gen Xers, which would have made up the core of that generation, and you end up with the examples I gave in my post.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/06/05/generation-x-americas-neglected-middle-child/
This one was made last year. It describes Generation X as 16 years, which I agree with.

Generation X is 1965-1980, not 1961-1981.

It should be around two decades, not less. And the Millennials should fall during the last twenty years. That's why the Jones is either late boomer or early Gen-'Xer. I think it's the latter given my argument above.

Also, take note that the data changes in the studies mentioned. For example, for the link to the study that looks at how Gen-Xers vote, it's '74-'82.

If that were the case, going by your view, disco would be a Generation X thing. It's not. Pop culture is also much broader than the teenage years. That's a very black and white way of looking at it.

For me, the most prominent works would come from the point when the middle portion (those born during the late '60s and early '70s) were in their teens. Hence, the examples I gave, which doesn't include disco.

Look at this:
http://time.com/money/3756748/gen-x-brands-favorites-millennials-hate/
Nothing on this list by Time Magazine in uniquely '80s. It either is both '80s and '90s or uniquely '90s.

Does this change the argument in the OP? It refers mostly to the '90s.

My point is that the works cut mostly across the late '70s, the '80s, and the first half of the '90s. Since the '80s are in the middle, then that's what best represents the generation.

http://musicmachinery.com/tag/demographics/
This describes music demographics. It also leads to another source.

http://www.emarketer.com/Article/With-Streaming-Sharing-Teens-Find-Ways-Around-Paying-Music/1009446
It holds an important image, which states the age that most people were streaming music in 2011 (which was already a huge trend back then. I remember - I was 15 years old.).
http://www.emarketer.com/images/chart_gifs/142001-143000/142948.gif

As you can see, the 16-20 age range held the most power, with 49%. The 21-24 age range held the second most power, with 46%. The 13-15 held the least of all the "young" age groups, with 41%, holding equal with the 25-34 age range. So people's interest in popular culture doesn't peak in their high school years, but shortly after it.

Another way to prove my point:
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2014/who-is-the-electronic-music-listener.html
Although this does focus on only one genre of music, it was made by Nielsen, which has been crucial in collecting data on music sales and as a result has been affecting the Billboard charts for at least 25 years.

This supports my argument, i.e., look at what appeals from the ages of 16-20. That means 1977 to 1981 or 1981 to 1985, depending on whether one thinks X starts with '61 or '65.

Written By: ralfy on 05/24/15 at 12:19 am

If you feel/think that the 90s was the definitive gen x decade, do you feel the 70s are definitive boomer decade, and 10s the definitive Gen Y/millennial decade?

Since 16-20 would the age period where pop works would be most influential, then for Gen X the works to consider would come from the the first half of '90s. (That is, 1975 or the mid-point of 1965 and 1985 plus 16 years equals 1991.) For boomers, that would be first half of the 1970s (That is, 1955 or the mid-point of 1946 and 1964 + 16 years equals 1971.) For Jones, it would be the latter half of the 1970s. (That is, 1959 or the mid-point of 1954 to 1965 plus 16 years equals 1976.)

Notice that the 1960s and the 1980s are barely touched, and that's because the periods are uneven (18 years for Boomer, 11 for Jones, 20 for Gen X, and so on). To solve the problem, we need to have 15 years for Boomer (1945 to 1960) and then 20 for each of the rest (Gen X, 1960 to 1980, and Y, 1980 to 2000). Jones should be considered part of Gen X rather than Boomer.

With that, the works that best represent each period would come from the following years:

Boomers: 1968-1972

Gen X: 1986-1990

Gen Y: 2005-2010

If we consider older and younger members of each generation, we'd have the ff.

Boomers: 1961-1980

Gen X: 1976-2000

Gen Y: 1995-2020

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/24/15 at 12:43 am

Since 16-20 would the age period where pop works would be most influential, then for Gen X the works to consider would come from the the first half of '90s. (That is, 1975 or the mid-point of 1965 and 1985 plus 16 years equals 1991.) For boomers, that would be first half of the 1970s (That is, 1955 or the mid-point of 1946 and 1964 + 16 years equals 1971.) For Jones, it would be the latter half of the 1970s. (That is, 1959 or the mid-point of 1954 to 1965 plus 16 years equals 1976.)

Notice that the 1960s and the 1980s are barely touched, and that's because the periods are uneven (18 years for Boomer, 11 for Jones, 20 for Gen X, and so on). To solve the problem, we need to have 15 years for Boomer (1945 to 1960) and then 20 for each of the rest (Gen X, 1960 to 1980, and Y, 1980 to 2000). Jones should be considered part of Gen X rather than Boomer.

With that, the works that best represent each period would come from the following years:

Boomers: 1968-1972

Gen X: 1986-1990

Gen Y: 2005-2010

If we consider older and younger members of each generation, we'd have the ff.

Boomers: 1961-1980

Gen X: 1976-2000

Gen Y: 1995-2020

Generation Jones are late boomers AND early xers!!

Written By: ralfy on 05/24/15 at 10:29 pm

Generation Jones are late boomers AND early xers!!

Both or either. That's why some argue that X starts with '61 and others '65. My point is to make it part of X for reasons given in my post.

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 06/02/15 at 11:21 pm

Actually it starts at 10 years old. By that time, one's interests, experiences and hobbies change. I can see people born in 2004-05 today watching non-cartoons, listening to mainstream music, and hanging with their friends more than just playing on the jungle gym. The oldest millennials would have participated in pop culture at that time between 1991 and 1994/95 considering they were 10 and over during this time period. Additionally, you are not considered a little kid anymore when you're 10 as the person is entering adolescence.

Since we're speaking about the 90s. The definitive decade for X would actually be the 80s because most of them were adolescents/young adults at that time. By the mid 90s, the very earliest millennials were already in high school and the Xers were either in late high school or most of college. That would mean the pop culture was shifting from X to Y gradually throughout the decade until the late 90s. After that, the X influence was gone and the millennial vibe began.
Actually, you are in between both cohorts. Your age group were between the C/O 2006 (1987-88) and C/O 2012 (1993-94). Since you were part of 2009 class, I can see why you seem to fit more with those born in 1989 as some were in the C/O 2008 while the 1993 babies were either in the C/O 2011 or 2012. By the time the majority of '93 borns began HS in 2007, you were already a junior; the rest who started in 2008, you were a senior making it difficult for you to relate to them despite them being 2/3 years apart from you. As for your second statement, adolescent works better than teenager, but I know what you mean. Your entire adolescence occurred throughout the 2000s when you turned 10 in 2001 and 18 in 2009; conversely, a 1993 baby started adolescence from 2003 to 2011 which although is a 2 year difference, so much can happen. For instance, while you were in jr high in 2003, a 1993 born wasn't as the individual was either in 4th/5th grade making them still in elementary. Since you remember the mid 90s really well, it makes your childhood more distinct as a 1993 baby can only remember 1996 and the rest is late 90s and after.
I know that I am pretty late to this comment but I agree with what you said about me as a 91er being between both 89ers and 93ers. I see no reason to believe that I would fit more into the same cohort with a 93er than with an 89er. I would of had some mid 2000s teen experience just like the 89ers whereas 93ers started teenhood in 2006 and I also have some child experience from the mid 90s. This clearly points 91ers more into the same cohort as 89ers because of this, but many people refuse to realize that 91ers can remember some of the mid 90s just like 89ers which making 91ers more in group with 89ers more so than 93ers.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/03/15 at 11:38 am

I know that I am pretty late to this comment but I agree with what you said about me as a 91er being between both 89ers and 93ers. I see no reason to believe that I would fit more into the same cohort with a 93er than with an 89er. I would of had some mid 2000s teen experience just like the 89ers whereas 93ers started teenhood in 2006 and I also have some child experience from the mid 90s. This clearly points 91ers more into the same cohort as 89ers because of this, but many people refuse to realize that 91ers can remember some of the mid 90s just like 89ers which making 91ers more in group with 89ers more so than 93ers.
That's true. You did; however, I would extend your adolescence to 2002 as you were already in middle school. And yeah, your childhood began in 1994, so you would remember CN's checkerboard era and a time before spongebob premiered on Nickelodeon.

Last, I'm in the same position as you. For me being in the C/O 2011, i fit more with 1991ers than 95 as some were in the C/O 2010 while the latter were either in the C/O 2013 or 2014.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/03/15 at 3:46 pm

That's true. You did; however, I would extend your adolescence to 2002 as you were already in middle school. And yeah, your childhood began in 1994, so you would remember CN's checkerboard era and a time before spongebob premiered on Nickelodeon.

Last, I'm in the same position as you. For me being in the C/O 2011, i fit more with 1991ers than 95 as some were in the C/O 2010 while the latter were either in the C/O 2013 or 2014.

Not only does he remember the checkerboard era like we do! However; he also remembers before they started their original programming! During the 92-96 era they would MAINLY show the old school hannah barbera cartoons and classic looney toons

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/03/15 at 3:47 pm

It was a bland decade.

That's the exact way I feel about the 10s!! 00s were much more fun for me!!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/03/15 at 6:39 pm

Not only does he remember the checkerboard era like we do! However; he also remembers before they started their original programming! During the 92-96 era they would MAINLY show the old school hannah barbera cartoons and classic looney toons
so true. The cartoon that got CN going was What a Cartoon which spawned Dexters Lab, Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken etc. So yes, Gdowe can remember the pre-cartoon cartoon era. In addition, he can even recall the pre-CCF days as it didn't premiered until 1999.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/05/15 at 8:11 am

During the 92-96 era they would MAINLY show the old school hannah barbera cartoons and classic looney toons

That's true. Even though many people tend to just blanketly think of shows like Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Laboratory as "90's Cartoon Network", the channel actually went through massive changes post-1997.

We actually first got CN on our cable package back in 1996, and at that time it was a radically different channel than it would be even by 1998. Back in '96 there was no Toonami, no "Cartoon Cartoons", and CN mostly just showed classic stuff like Looney Tunes, The Jetsons, Johnny Quest, and Tom & Jerry, as well as the occasional animated film like Balto.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/15 at 10:51 am

That's true. Even though many people tend to just blanketly think of shows like Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Laboratory as "90's Cartoon Network", the channel actually went through massive changes post-1997.

We actually first got CN on our cable package back in 1996, and at that time it was a radically different channel than it would be even by 1998. Back in '96 there was no Toonami, no "Cartoon Cartoons", and CN mostly just showed classic stuff like Looney Tunes, The Jetsons, Johnny Quest, and Tom & Jerry, as well as the occasional animated film like Balto.

exactly LATE 90s cartoon network is what people are thinking of when they thinking of 90s cartoon network!

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 06/05/15 at 11:20 am

I honestly don't think Cartoon Network was fully established as a network for much of the 90s because of this. Cartoon network is more of a late 90s/early 00s kids network if you really think about it, at least for their original series.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/15 at 12:33 pm

I honestly don't think Cartoon Network was fully established as a network for much of the 90s because of  this. Cartoon network is more of a late 90s/early 00s kids network if you realm think about it, at least for their original series.

Agreed Gdowe!!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/03/15 at 3:45 pm

Your core Gen Y don't worry! I typically go with the 16 year definition of defining Gen Y, 1981-1996. Basically if you could atleast remember the 90's or a pre 9/11 world, and were in mandatory school when it happened you're Y simple as that!

But I do agree, I do have friends born in your year and while we could relate on various things I would say you are more linked to late 80's babies rather than mid 90's babies. Basically this is how I usually see it:

Early Gen Y 1981-1985 - Main Neon Era Kids (Late 80's/Early 90's)

Core Gen Y 1986-1991 - Main Grunge Era Kids (Pure 90's Kids)

Late Gen Y 1992-1996 - Main Millennium Era Kids (Late 90's/Early 00's)

& So on

In the year 2015

Early Gen Yers as of now are between the ages of 30-34, these are your married couples, people just starting to families, guys getting promotions, slightly middle aged generation

Core Gen Yers as of now are between the ages of 24-29 (you fall into this group), these are your post college grads, newcomers in the workforce, probably young newly weds, the main young adult generation

Late Gen Yers as of now are between the ages of 19-23, these are your college students, young drivers, newly drinking aged, early workforce,  individuals, the main college kid generation

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 09/03/15 at 4:20 pm

Your core Gen Y don't worry! I typically go with the 16 year definition of defining Gen Y, 1981-1996. Basically if you could atleast remember the 90's or a pre 9/11 world, and were in mandatory school when it happened you're Y simple as that!

But I do agree, I do have friends born in your year and while we could relate on various things I would say you are more linked to late 80's babies rather than mid 90's babies. Basically this is how I usually see it:

& So on

In the year 2015

Early Gen Yers as of now are between the ages of 30-34, these are your married couples, people just starting to families, guys getting promotions, slightly middle aged generation

Core Gen Yers as of now are between the ages of 24-29 (you fall into this group), these are your post college grads, newcomers in the workforce, probably young newly weds, the main young adult generation

Late Gen Yers as of now are between the ages of 19-23, these are your college students, young drivers, newly drinking aged, early workforce,  individuals, the main college kid generation
I agree with your groupings of Gen Y. As a 91' born I feel like I was one of the last that could say that they spent a significant portion of my childhood in the 90s and also one of the last to remember the old schoolish mid 90s time period.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/03/15 at 4:33 pm

& So on

In the year 2015

What I bold in print depends on the person. There are people in all those groups who are in college; have families of their own; are married; and have been in the workforce for many years when they first began as adolescents.

As for your chart, it's very accurate; however, it would also depend on the person as well.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/03/15 at 4:46 pm

What I bold in print depends on the person. There are people in all those groups who are in college; have families of their own; are married; and have been in the workforce for many years when they first began as adolescents.

As for your chart, it's very accurate; however, it would also depend on the person as well.

Your right about that!

Written By: #Infinity on 09/04/15 at 8:17 am

Early Generation Y kids would mostly be those who grew up with the explosion of commercial shows and spin-off products in the mid-80s, which entered full swing around 1985, so 1980 is a fair starting point for early Gen-Y'ers.  I think if anybody grew up with Transformers, Care Bears, My Little Pony, or Ghostbusters toys as very little kids, they fit in easily with the material, living room era of children, which continued through the new millennium, before the Internet and iPhones were primary bases of entertainment from a young age.  Once things like the NES, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Full House, and New Kids on the Block grew huge in the late 80s, these kids were in their core childhoods.

The transition between the early millennials and core millennials would be when things like Ren & Stimpy, Sonic the Hedgehog, Street Fighter, and Tiny Toons became the first things that truly hooked kids during their core childhoods.  Also, they were too young to have seen and remembered the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie in theaters, nor were they old enough to recall the fall of the Berlin Wall.  I'd thus say 1986 was the crossroad year between the early and middle phase of Generation Y births.

I would mark the dividing line between Core Gen Y and Late Gen Y as roughly 1990 (between the class of 2008 and class of 2009) because kids in the early 90s were all about the original Nicktoons, Sonic the Hedgehog, Tiny Toon Adventures, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  1996 was really the beginning of millennial kid culture with the premieres of Hey Arnold! and Dexter's Laboratory, as well as the release of the Nintendo 64 and breakthrough of the PlayStation (which put Sega off the map).  Rocko's Modern Life and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles both ended that year, while Ren & Stimpy and Batman: The Animated Series were over the previous year.  My guess is that by 1997, when millennial culture was in full swing, kids born before 1990 were already getting into things like South Park and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I would extend the end of the Late Generation Y to 1997, however, because even though I was born in 1992, I don't remember 9/11 affecting my life that badly as it did core Gen-Y'ers and older.  Generation Z would have never experienced Pokémania or Cartoon Cartoons, been primarily familiar with post-Movie Spongebob only, not known anything about teen pop except as an outdated fad, and been heavily used to the Internet from a young age.  Early Gen-Z'ers would have watched Naruto, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Ben 10, Zack & Cody, That's So Raven, and Danny Phantom, and would have truly gotten into the Wii rather than called it an experimental fad.

So to sum up,

Early Millennials:  1980-1985
Core Millennials:  1986-1990
Late Millennials:  1991-1997

Written By: mqg96 on 09/04/15 at 3:39 pm

I would extend the end of the Late Generation Y to 1997, however, because even though I was born in 1992, I don't remember 9/11 affecting my life that badly as it did core Gen-Y'ers and older.  Generation Z would have never experienced Pokémania or Cartoon Cartoons, been primarily familiar with post-Movie Spongebob only, not known anything about teen pop except as an outdated fad, and been heavily used to the Internet from a young age.  Early Gen-Z'ers would have watched Naruto, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Ben 10, Zack & Cody, That's So Raven, and Danny Phantom, and would have truly gotten into the Wii rather than called it an experimental fad.

So to sum up,

What I have in bold I watched and I was born in early 1996, however, most of what you listed didn't start until the 2nd half of my elementary school years when I was in 3rd-5th grade (late 2004-early 2007) which is understandable because by then most of the core Y kids were already in middle school or high school grown out of kiddy shows. As you already know I clearly remember Cartoon Cartoons and the Pokemon seasons before Misty left which were still alive and popular going on hard throughout the 1st half of my elementary school years from Kindergarten-2nd grade (late 2001-early 2004).

There are a few exceptions like That's So Raven which debuted in January 2003 when I was in 1st grade, however most of what you listed yes it's considered as early Generation Z. I'd say that Disney Channel original series like Even Stevens and Lizzie McGuire are Generation Y for those who watched the original runs (not counting reruns). That's So Raven is like in the middle, the earlier seasons aired when the older shows were still around but the later seasons aired around the time Zack & Cody and Hannah Montana started coming out, so IMO That's So Raven is Late Y/Early Z. Your experience may have been different but I do know many 1993 & 1994 born's who enjoyed That's So Raven but probably the earlier seasons though. Suite Life of Zack & Cody and Hannah Montana I consider as pure Generation Z shows.

Most sources say that the target audience for preschool shows on Nick Jr, PBS Kids, and Playhouse Disney are ages 2-5. While the target audience for big kid shows on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney Channel are ages 6-11. In that case I was in the target audience for the big kid shows from 2002-2007, however, I started those shows a year early around 2001 when I was 5 and I grew out of those shows completely by 2007 when I was 11. So it's understandable that I'm stuck in between two generations. I consider 1997-2003 as the millennial culture for kid shows on TV, or the Generation Y culture of kid oriented shows. I consider 2004 as the Y/Z cusp year of kid oriented shows on TV, or the transition from Generation Y to Generation Z culture of kid shows on TV, and from 2005-present it's been Generation Z culture for big kid shows and we might still be in that today. Not saying the kid channels today are exactly the same as 2005 of course not but by that year the millennial culture for kid shows were already dead.

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 09/04/15 at 4:29 pm

Early Generation Y kids would mostly be those who grew up with the explosion of commercial shows and spin-off products in the mid-80s, which entered full swing around 1985, so 1980 is a fair starting point for early Gen-X'ers.  I think anybody grew up with Transformers, Care Bears, My Little Pony, or Ghostbusters toys as very little kids, they fit in easily with the material, living room era of children, which continued through the new millennium, before the Internet and iPhones were primary bases of entertainment from a young age.  Once things like the NES, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Full House, and New Kids on the Block grew huge in the late 80s, these kids were in their core childhoods.

The transition between the early millennials and core millennials would be when things like Ren & Stimpy, Sonic the Hedgehog, Street Fighter, and Tiny Toons became the first things that truly hooked kids during their core childhoods.  Also, they were too young to have seen and remembered the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie in theaters, nor were they old enough to recall the fall of the Berlin Wall.  I'd thus say 1986 was the crossroad year between the early and middle phase of Generation Y births.

I would mark the dividing line between Core Gen Y and Late Gen Y as roughly 1990 (between the class of 2008 and class of 2009) because kids in the early 90s were all about the original Nicktoons, Sonic the Hedgehog, Tiny Toon Adventures, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  1996 was really the beginning of millennial kid culture with the premieres of Hey Arnold! and Dexter's Laboratory, as well as the release of the Nintendo 64 and breakthrough of the PlayStation (which put Sega off the map).  Rocko's Modern Life and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles both ended that year, while Ren & Stimpy and Batman: The Animated Series were over the previous year.  My guess is that by 1997, when millennial culture was in full swing, kids born before 1990 were already getting into things like South Park and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

So to sum up,

Not necessarily, I would say that 91ers are still in core Y, at least early to mid 91ers, the reason I say this is because 91ers were the last to spend most of their teens in the pre recession era and before Obama came into office, we were also in double digit ages when 9/11 occurred in 2001 so I guess it would probably more fair to say that the dividing line between core Y and late Y is class of 2009 and class 2010 due to this, culturally speaking I feel closer to somebody born in 1986 than to somebody born in 1996, because I became of legal adult age in the 2000s and am the prime Myspace emo demograph, although 86ers didn't have social media through high school and would be the prime early 2000s teens.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/04/15 at 9:47 pm

Sorry Arctic, I'm bout to get off topic. But do you guys feel that the millennial generation is.... aging?! ???

Written By: #Infinity on 09/05/15 at 12:58 am

Sorry Arctic, I'm bout to get off topic. But do you guys feel that the millennial generation is.... aging?! ???

Well, just about the last of the millennials have now graduated from high school (counting those born in the 1996-1997 school year or slightly into the 1997-1998 school year), so they're indeed starting to completely dominate the workforce and intellectual discussions of the day.  I do find it odd, though, that people who grew up with Nintendo 64 and Pokémon are literally starting to get married or even have children.  I know of at least two people from the class of 2009 at my high school who have already been married for a fair amount of time.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/05/15 at 4:02 pm

Older Millennials yes, but we young ones are still spry!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/06/15 at 2:19 pm

Early Generation Y kids would mostly be those who grew up with the explosion of commercial shows and spin-off products in the mid-80s, which entered full swing around 1985, so 1980 is a fair starting point for early Gen-Y'ers.  I think if anybody grew up with Transformers, Care Bears, My Little Pony, or Ghostbusters toys as very little kids, they fit in easily with the material, living room era of children, which continued through the new millennium, before the Internet and iPhones were primary bases of entertainment from a young age.  Once things like the NES, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Full House, and New Kids on the Block grew huge in the late 80s, these kids were in their core childhoods.

So to sum up,

I would extend the groups a little more. The latest millennials would be the those born in 2000/01 (The class of 2019).

Here's how I see them

1980/81 to 1986: Early Millennials

1987 to 1994: Core Millennials

1995 to 2000/01: Late Millennials

Not necessarily, I would say that 91ers are still in core Y, at least early to mid 91ers, the reason I say this is because 91ers were the last to spend most of their teens in the pre recession era and before Obama came into office, we were also in double digit ages when 9/11 occurred in 2001 so I guess it would probably more fair to say that the dividing line between core Y and late Y is class of 2009 and class 2010 due to this, culturally speaking I feel closer to somebody born in 1986 than to somebody born in 1996, because I became of legal adult age in the 2000s and am the prime Myspace emo demograph, although 86ers didn't have social media through high school and would be the prime early 2000s teens.
You mean adolescence. That term is a better description than teenager; as for your statement, I disagree with you. Yes, it's true that your graduation class spent your adolescence before the recession and Obama's presidency; however, I see the C/O 2012 being the last because they spent most of their adolescence during Bush 2's Presidency than Obama's. Hell, they even graduated before Obama's first term was over. Furthermore, the age disparity that someone can relate to another is up to 6/7 years. Just like you, an individual born in 1994 can relate to someone born in 1987 without feeling out of place.

Older Millennials yes, but we young ones are still spry!
More like both groups. As of right now, most millennials are out of and high school and college; raising families and/or are married; have been in the workforce for sometime; they are out of the youth pop culture audience; and own/rent houses and apartments. The younger ones are part of that as well.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/07/15 at 11:07 am

Well take this into consideration!

Its generally accepted that Gen Y or Millennials began in 1981 right? Well in 2021, which is a little less than 6 years from now, the oldest Gen Yers would 40! Also if you typically go with the 1995-1997 cutoff that would mean the youngest Yers would be in their mid 20's by then. Plus so many marketers are now already trying to tap into Gen Zers born 1998/2000 and after and Gen Y/Z cuspers born 1995-1997.

So in other words, we millennials are actually aging out as we speak! We are in a similar age range right now, Gen Xers were back in 1999

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/07/15 at 11:58 am

I would extend the groups a little more. The latest millennials would be the those born in 2000/01 (The class of 2019).

Here's how I see them

You mean adolescence. That term is a better description than teenager; as for your statement, I disagree with you. Yes, it's true that your graduation class spent your adolescence before the recession and Obama's presidency; however, I see the C/O 2012 being the last because they spent most of their adolescence during Bush 2's Presidency than Obama's. Hell, they even graduated before Obama's first term was over. Furthermore, the age disparity that someone can relate to another is up to 6/7 years. Just like you, an individual born in 1994 can relate to someone born in 1987 without feeling out of place.
More like both groups. As of right now, most millennials are out of and high school and college; raising families and/or are married; have been in the workforce for sometime; they are out of the youth pop culture audience; and own/rent houses and apartments. The younger ones are part of that as well.

You seriously grouped me in with 1998-2000/01 born?! ??? 8-P  No disrespect, but I see them as my younger sibling NOT someone in my range!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 12:00 pm

You seriously grouped me in with 1998-2000/01 born?! ??? 8-P  No disrespect, but I see them as my younger sibling NOT someone in my range!

Well, it might be his opinion on how he views the millennial generation. Besides, 1995-2001 babies would be the last group who turned 18 in the 2010s, so he does have a point.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/07/15 at 1:06 pm

That's understandable. It's up to you. ;D I actually consider you and your graduation class as part of my age range. In fact, the C/O 2013 or 2014 would be most likely considered the last of the core millennials. Then beginning with the C/O 2015 to the C/O 2019,  they would be the Y/Z cusp.

I have the same view as you. I see them as younger siblings as well 

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/07/15 at 2:33 pm

That's understandable. It's up to you. ;D I actually consider you and your graduation class as part of my age range. In fact, the C/O 2013 or 2014 would be most likely considered the last of the core millennials. Then beginning with the C/O 2015 to the C/O 2019,  they would be the Y/Z cusp.

I have the same view as you. I see them as younger siblings as well

Yeah when I go by the 1982-2001 definition I usually break it up like this:

b. 1982-1986 - Early Gen Y/Main Late 80's & Early 90's Kids - High School Class of 2000-2004

b. 1987-1996 - Core Gen Y/Main 90's & Early 00's Kids - High School Class of 2005-2014

b. 1997-2001 - Late Gen Y/Main 00's Kids - High School Class of 2015-2019

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/07/15 at 2:51 pm

Yeah when I go by the 1982-2001 definition I usually break it up like this:

b. 1982-1986 - Early Gen Y/Main Late 80's & Early 90's Kids - High School Class of 2000-2004

b. 1987-1996 - Core Gen Y/Main 90's & Early 00's Kids - High School Class of 2005-2014

b. 1997-2001 - Late Gen Y/Main 00's Kids - High School Class of 2015-2019
This is perfect. It has a balance within the chart. It's much better than mine. So most of us here are core millennials while some others are either early or late millennials.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/08/15 at 4:02 pm

Early Y: late 1981-1985 (Actually called "Cold Y" because they remember the end of the Cold War, probably the first group to use home computers as children, first to graduate high school in the 2000s)
Core Y: 1986-mid 1992 (born during the big hair/acid wash/TMNT/Bon Jovi era, primary "90s kid" group, entirety of their high school years contained within the 2000s - class of '10 withstanding)
Late Y: late 1992-1996 (born roughly during Clinton's first term, most were at least in pre-school by the turn of the millennium, probably remember 9/11 but maybe not very well)

The stuff I put in parentheses aren't really qualifiers as much as they are general/defining characteristics.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/08/15 at 4:15 pm

Here's how I see them

Why, specifically, do you extend the young end of millennials so far?  The class of 2019/2020 sounds more like the cutoff between early and core Gen Z'ers.

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 09/08/15 at 5:09 pm

I agree with you in regards to the term adolescence(which starts at about age 12) being more accurate than teenager being that teenager is only used to describe those who have reached the ages that end in teen and weren't even used until the 1950s, but the reason why I wouldn't include those born in 1994 into the core y age group is because they never really spent a significant amount of their childhood in the 90s and part of being a millenial is spending most childhood years in that decade.
Early Y: late 1981-1985 (Actually called "Cold Y" because they remember the end of the Cold War, probably the first group to use home computers as children, first to graduate high school in the 2000s)
Core Y: 1986-mid 1992 (born during the big hair/acid wash/TMNT/Bon Jovi era, primary "90s kid" group, entirety of their high school years contained within the 2000s - class of '10 withstanding)
Late Y: late 1992-1996 (born roughly during Clinton's first term, most were at least in pre-school by the turn of the millennium, probably remember 9/11 but maybe not very well)

The stuff I put in parentheses aren't really qualifiers as much as they are general/defining characteristics.
Pretty accurate and well put together grouping there, although I would also those born in late 1985 to the group being that alot of them would of actually been class of 2004 graduates along with 1986 borns, and also probably extend early y to late 1980 borns and late y to early and mid 1997 borns.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/08/15 at 5:31 pm

Why, specifically, do you extend the young end of millennials so far?  The class of 2019/2020 sounds more like the cutoff between early and core Gen Z'ers.
I extended it because they were the last to be born before 9/11 and they will be out of HS before the decade is over. In addition, I have read some articles on that 2000-01 is seen as the end to the Millennial Generation. However, the ending of Gen Y still fluctuates as it depends on the sources and articles you're reading. I will link some articles about this generation.

http://www.marketingteacher.com/the-six-living-generations-in-america/

http://legalcareers.about.com/od/legalcareerbasics/fl/Gen-YMillennial-Lawyers-in-the-Legal-Workplace.htm

http://www.generationy.com/generation-y-years/

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/generation-y-need-parental-touch-1.2008986

http://www.mobap.edu/1981-1995-generation-y/

http://www.mobap.edu/1996-current-generation-z/

http://www.careerplanner.com/Career-Articles/Generations.cfm

I agree with you in regards to the term adolescence(which starts at about age 12) being more accurate than teenager being that teenager is only used to describe those who have reached the ages that end in teen and weren't even used until the 1950s, but the reason why I wouldn't include those born in 1994 into the core y age group is because they never really spent a significant amount of their childhood in the 90s and part of being a millenial is spending most childhood years in that decade.
Well from seeing it from a general view, many people are going to see main childhood as 3-10/12. That means 1994ers had their core portion between 1997 and 2004/06 which was more significant in the 2000s than the 1990s. That's true overall; however, they also were adolescents during most of the 2000s as well. As they entered adolescence in 2004/05, they were part of the youth's audience until they graduated HS in 2012. From observing at that angle, it could be why some people consider 1994ers as part of the Y/Z cusp or late millennials. The issue is I know plenty of people born that year and they wouldn't see themselves as a minor part of Z because they can't relate to those who are purely Z. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/08/15 at 6:04 pm

Yes, it's true that your graduation class spent your adolescence before the recession and Obama's presidency; however, I see the C/O 2012 being the last because they spent most of their adolescence during Bush 2's Presidency than Obama's. Hell, they even graduated before Obama's first term was over. Furthermore, the age disparity that someone can relate to another is up to 6/7 years. Just like you, an individual born in 1994 can relate to someone born in 1987 without feeling out of place.

If you're going by college class years here, I wonder, what's your take on the Class of '09?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/08/15 at 6:24 pm

If you're going by college class years here, I wonder, what's your take on the Class of '09?
Well I was actually talking about the HS C/O 2009, but I would say I can relate you guys as well. I have a few friends who were in the College C/O 2009 and while there is a age disparity, there's not much of a difference. When you guys talk about childhood for example, I can relate to a time of the SNES/Genesis and PS1/N64 days; I played outside and inside; I remember Nickelodeon before Spongebob; heck, I can even recall the pre-9/11 days. For adolescence, I recall the trends being worn; the slang being used and what music artists were popular. So yes, despite the age difference, I can relate to you guys very well and the rest of the late 80s babies.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/08/15 at 6:50 pm

I actually think out of all the 15 year definitions for Gen Y this one is the most accurate I've seen. Great job!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/08/15 at 8:04 pm

Well I was actually talking about the HS C/O 2009, but I would say I can relate you guys as well. I have a few friends who were in the College C/O 2009 and while there is a age disparity, there's not much of a difference. When you guys talk about childhood for example, I can relate to a time of the SNES/Genesis and PS1/N64 days; I played outside and inside; I remember Nickelodeon before Spongebob; heck, I can even recall the pre-9/11 days. For adolescence, I recall the trends being worn; the slang being used and what music artists were popular. So yes, despite the age difference, I can relate to you guys very well and the rest of the late 80s babies.

I think that's fair. I feel the same way about kids born in 1981 (or the Class of '03). Even though there is a six year gap, I can still relate to them when it comes to some early '90s stuff that they might've been into as 9-12 year olds like Disney Afternoon shows, the NES, TMNT, Full House, etc.

I'd say that six years is just about the limit on how much older someone can be than you and still share some childhood interests. There can be some crossover with a six year gap because they would have been still in their late childhood years (i.e. junior high) while you were entering your early childhood years (preschool/kindergarten), but after that (and particularly after eight years) it becomes much harder to relate.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/08/15 at 9:09 pm

I think that's fair. I feel the same way about kids born in 1981 (or the Class of '03). Even though there is a six year gap, I can still relate to them when it comes to some early '90s stuff that they might've been into as 9-12 year olds like Disney Afternoon shows, the NES, TMNT, Full House, etc.

I'd say that six years is just about the limit on how much older someone can be than you and still share some childhood interests. There can be some crossover with a six year gap because they would have been still in their late childhood years (i.e. junior high) while you were entering your early childhood years (preschool/kindergarten), but after that (and particularly after eight years) it becomes much harder to relate.

Preschool & pre-K is early childhood, Kindergarten is when core childhood begins IMO. I know a lot of sources and places like to lump pre-K and Kindergarten together but going by my personal experience and memories I can remember my Kindergarten year so much crystal clearer and better than pre-K which are still vague for me, and pre-K is not mandatory but Kindergarten is. Plus my private christian school for ages 3-5 combined preschoolers and pre-K together in a small one room building and we barely learned anything. My Kindergarten year was in a public elementary school when we learned a lot and transformed so much, and I get my memories from Kindergarten lumped with my 1st grade life sometimes. My 2nd & 3rd grade life was similar, and my 4th & 5th grade life was similar. I don't know about you but to me the transition from pre-K to Kindergarten was very huge, while the transition from Kindergarten to 1st grade wasn't that much different for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...