inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the "Hot Facial Hair Trend" for Men from 1991-1995

Written By: tv on 05/04/15 at 12:18 am

I know in the 80's the Mustache was the "Hot Facial Trend" for men but that ended in 1990 I think. The Goatee was "in" from like 1996-2006 before the Beard took over in 2009 or 2010. So what covers the "in between" trend from 1991-1995? Was it just "Clean Shavin"?

Subject: Re: What was the "Hot Facial Hair Trend" for Men from 1991-1995

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 05/05/15 at 6:00 pm

Was it just "Clean Shavin"?

Yep.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/05/15 at 8:29 pm

Yep.

"After a good fifteen years in fashion hibernation, men’s ponytails are back in vogue. Browse through any of the current fashion magazines, and you’ll see what I mean. The male ponytail, which was once a symbol of rebellion, is now nothing but the feeble, trendy fashion statement of the cool, the swanky, and the boutique clerk.

Now I’m not one to wallow in the lost idealism of the past, but I have never met a ponytail wearer who was not selfish, sinister, and pompous. Their ponytails announce as loudly as possible, “I am it. All else is dirt,” with that smug, hypocritical smile so common to the ponytail wearer.

Sure, maybe heavy-duty role models such as Jesus, George Washington, and Rambo have sported ponytails, but Jesus, after all, was the Son of God, George Washington was the first President, and Rambo helped us finally beat those bastards the Vietnamese, so those dudes have special dispensation.

Many famous, eminent scientists have theorized that the ponytail is a subconscious representation of the penis or perhaps a form of penis envy. Others feel it’s an unconscious attempt to reclaim a father’s attention from a popular sister. In any case, all the possible psychological reasons for the ponytail are deeply embarrassing, and for that reason alone ponytails should be eradicated forthwith.

I maintain that male ponytails are a festering sore on the body of men’s fashion and that any male sporting a ponytail does so only out of weakness to the fascist uniformity of fashion advertising, and therefore, should seek counseling. I also maintain that other more dignified hair fashion statements exist. They are, of course, the goatee and the DA.

The best thing about the goatee, named after the chin whiskers of the proud he-goat, is that it isn’t currently fashionable, nor is it ever likely to be, so no one will be able to pigeonhole you as a slave to fashion. Male and female peers alike will be intrigued. They’ll consider you mysterious and intense. You’ll be admired and revered as a man of confidence for having the nerve to wear such a funny-looking thing on your face. But be forewarned: the goatee can only be worn by those with the courage to face constant comparison to Maynard G. Crebbs.

And there are other important advantages when compared to the ponytail, not the least of which is that women can’t grow goatees, except for a few fascinating exceptions. And along with an army of greasers and bikers, you’ll be considered potentially dangerous (earrings and tattoos will help in this regard). The goatee also keeps the throat warm during the winter, rendering the scarf obsolete, to say nothing of the obvious sexual advantages.

With literally hundreds of different styles, the goatee can allow a person to fully express his individuality. In fact, there are so many goatees styles available, no two men need wear the same cut. Yet I see only one type of ponytail these days—the single limp strand, despite the several centuries of creativity lavished on ponytail styles by the English court system.

But the central question is this: which style is more appealing, sex-wise? Diligent research conducted by several very smart scientists has shown that men with goatees are seen as masculine, good-looking, self-confident, courageous, industrious, and possessing primitive sexual drives. (The importance of this last item can hardly be overemphasized.) A smooth, goatee-less face coupled with a ponytail projects the sexless qualities of innocence, purity, and vulnerability. Take your pick, fellas.

The DA, short for the Duck’s Ass, is so-named because of the small point of hair at the base of the neck resembling a duck’s tail feathers. Believe it or not, it was invented in South Philadelphia in 1938 by a barber named Joe Cirello. Cirello, a true folk artist with the clippers, created it while practising on a young, blind patron. The DA (not to be confused with Dorothy Hamill’s awful DH) gained fame as the standard coif for early rock ‘n’ rollers. Manned with his DA, Elvis revolutionized an entire culture. The DA was worn by several of our best role models, like James Dean, Marlon Brando, Eddie Fisher, and Wayne Newton, just to name a few.

Cirello gave Das for only about $10 in his modest shop near South and 2nd until he died in the early 90s. Joe used to tell the story of cutting Boy George’s ponytails. Guess what kind of haircut Boy George wanted? That’s right, a DA.

And by the way, I suppose the ponytail-wearin’ nitwits don’t realize that the ponytail is actually an overgrown DA. But do these rubes show any respect for the master? No way. The ponytailers completely ignored Cirello’s shop. Have these cretins no respect at all?

Nothing has become clearer to me from my research than these two indisputable facts: hairstyles affect our sex appeal and simultaneously associate us with barnyard animals. If you think that an association with the feeble pony will enhance your sex appeal, for you there may be no hope. But if you have the nerve to associate yourself with the noble, virile duck, or the brave, sexual goat, brace yourself for an onslaught of proposition, innuendo, and sexual harassment that will make your ponytail wearing peers return that germ carrying, narcissist aberration to the fashion hibernation from whence it came."

http://www.missioncreep.com/mw/ponytails.htm

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19940722&id=wJhQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=JxMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5939,6116104&hl=en

"Forget Colonel Sanders and Burl Ives. Think Brad Pitt and Snoop Doggy Dog.

The Goatee, not always the hippest of facial hair, is again the growth of choice on cutting-edge chins. It's less than a beard, more than a mustache, and much cooler than when Maynard G. Krebbs sported one, daddy-o.

"It seems like this is the trend these days." said Boston Bruins defenseman Ray Bourque, one of several dozen hockey players who sported good-luck goatees rather than the usual beards for this year's play-offs.

Bourque has since shaved, but that puts him in the minority.

Turn on MTV. There's John Mellencamp wearing a little beard reminiscent of the classic Krebs goatee.

(Remember Maynard? Bob Denver played the beatnik sidekick on the '60s sitcom "The Many Lives of Dobie Gillis.")

Take yourself out to the ballgame. There's pitchers Jack McDowell of the Chicago White Sox and Bret Saberhagen of the New York Mets and catcher Charlie O'Brien of the Atlanta Braves.
(Athletes and musicians are two major goatee growing groups)

Head over to the Cannes Film Festival and check out Bruce Willis' chic beard. Stopping in Los Angeles? A goateed Pitt, the star of "A River Runs Through It" and "Thelma and Louise" was photographed recently outside of a Los Angeles club.

Hit the World Cup, where U.S. defender Alexi attracted as much attention for his flowing goatee as for his game. His three-inch mini-beard turned Lalas into America's most recognizable soccer player and landed him appearances with Jay Leno and David Letterman. Letterman trimmed it up.

How cool is Lalas' growth?

"I have employed a full-time staff of highly-trained professionals to keep it clean," he joked.

There's more. ABC's hour of prime-time goatees, with Michael O'Keefe on "Roseanne" and Ayre Gross on "These Friends of Mine;" the grunge goatees of Alice in Chain's Layne Stayley and Soundgarden's Chris Cornell; the "I love this goatee" look of NBA stars from Kevin Johnson of the Phoenix Suns to Karl Malone of the Utah Jazz....

...But the question no longer is to goatee or not goatee--The beards are everywhere: the greybeards: Bruce Springsteen, Robert Duran. The directors: Spike Lee, Robert Altman. Generation X: Actors Ethan Hawke, Billy Baldwin. The international crowd: Italian soccer star Roberto Baggio, U2's guitarist The Edge." - Jul. 22nd 1994

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/05/15 at 8:34 pm

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1915&dat=19931126&id=8_ggAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GHQFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4502,6024841&hl=en
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1915&dat=19931126&id=8_ggAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GHQFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2763,6028036&hl=en - "The Goatee is Back", November 26th 1993, on the surging popularity of the goatee

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19931116&id=hq8sAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4xQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3497,135252&hl=en - "Fashion conscious bring back the Beat Generation's Goatee" - November 16th, 1993

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19940709&id=a6ksAAAAIBAJ&sjid=9BQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4836,3139480&hl=en "Not Too Small, Not too Big; Goatee becomes growth of choice on cutting-edge chins - July 9th, 1994

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/05/15 at 8:37 pm

http://updates.canadianmusichalloffame.ca/media/2013/05/KurtCobain.png

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 05/05/15 at 9:09 pm

"After a good fifteen years in fashion hibernation, men’s ponytails are back in vogue. Browse through any of the current fashion magazines, and you’ll see what I mean. The male ponytail, which was once a symbol of rebellion, is now nothing but the feeble, trendy fashion statement of the cool, the swanky, and the boutique clerk.

Now I’m not one to wallow in the lost idealism of the past, but I have never met a ponytail wearer who was not selfish, sinister, and pompous. Their ponytails announce as loudly as possible, “I am it. All else is dirt,” with that smug, hypocritical smile so common to the ponytail wearer.

Sure, maybe heavy-duty role models such as Jesus, George Washington, and Rambo have sported ponytails, but Jesus, after all, was the Son of God, George Washington was the first President, and Rambo helped us finally beat those bastards the Vietnamese, so those dudes have special dispensation.

Many famous, eminent scientists have theorized that the ponytail is a subconscious representation of the penis or perhaps a form of penis envy. Others feel it’s an unconscious attempt to reclaim a father’s attention from a popular sister. In any case, all the possible psychological reasons for the ponytail are deeply embarrassing, and for that reason alone ponytails should be eradicated forthwith.

I maintain that male ponytails are a festering sore on the body of men’s fashion and that any male sporting a ponytail does so only out of weakness to the fascist uniformity of fashion advertising, and therefore, should seek counseling. I also maintain that other more dignified hair fashion statements exist. They are, of course, the goatee and the DA.

The best thing about the goatee, named after the chin whiskers of the proud he-goat, is that it isn’t currently fashionable, nor is it ever likely to be, so no one will be able to pigeonhole you as a slave to fashion. Male and female peers alike will be intrigued. They’ll consider you mysterious and intense. You’ll be admired and revered as a man of confidence for having the nerve to wear such a funny-looking thing on your face. But be forewarned: the goatee can only be worn by those with the courage to face constant comparison to Maynard G. Crebbs.

And there are other important advantages when compared to the ponytail, not the least of which is that women can’t grow goatees, except for a few fascinating exceptions. And along with an army of greasers and bikers, you’ll be considered potentially dangerous (earrings and tattoos will help in this regard). The goatee also keeps the throat warm during the winter, rendering the scarf obsolete, to say nothing of the obvious sexual advantages.

With literally hundreds of different styles, the goatee can allow a person to fully express his individuality. In fact, there are so many goatees styles available, no two men need wear the same cut. Yet I see only one type of ponytail these days—the single limp strand, despite the several centuries of creativity lavished on ponytail styles by the English court system.

But the central question is this: which style is more appealing, sex-wise? Diligent research conducted by several very smart scientists has shown that men with goatees are seen as masculine, good-looking, self-confident, courageous, industrious, and possessing primitive sexual drives. (The importance of this last item can hardly be overemphasized.) A smooth, goatee-less face coupled with a ponytail projects the sexless qualities of innocence, purity, and vulnerability. Take your pick, fellas.

The DA, short for the Duck’s Ass, is so-named because of the small point of hair at the base of the neck resembling a duck’s tail feathers. Believe it or not, it was invented in South Philadelphia in 1938 by a barber named Joe Cirello. Cirello, a true folk artist with the clippers, created it while practising on a young, blind patron. The DA (not to be confused with Dorothy Hamill’s awful DH) gained fame as the standard coif for early rock ‘n’ rollers. Manned with his DA, Elvis revolutionized an entire culture. The DA was worn by several of our best role models, like James Dean, Marlon Brando, Eddie Fisher, and Wayne Newton, just to name a few.

Cirello gave Das for only about $10 in his modest shop near South and 2nd until he died in the early 90s. Joe used to tell the story of cutting Boy George’s ponytails. Guess what kind of haircut Boy George wanted? That’s right, a DA.

And by the way, I suppose the ponytail-wearin’ nitwits don’t realize that the ponytail is actually an overgrown DA. But do these rubes show any respect for the master? No way. The ponytailers completely ignored Cirello’s shop. Have these cretins no respect at all?

Nothing has become clearer to me from my research than these two indisputable facts: hairstyles affect our sex appeal and simultaneously associate us with barnyard animals. If you think that an association with the feeble pony will enhance your sex appeal, for you there may be no hope. But if you have the nerve to associate yourself with the noble, virile duck, or the brave, sexual goat, brace yourself for an onslaught of proposition, innuendo, and sexual harassment that will make your ponytail wearing peers return that germ carrying, narcissist aberration to the fashion hibernation from whence it came."

http://www.missioncreep.com/mw/ponytails.htm

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19940722&id=wJhQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=JxMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5939,6116104&hl=en

"Forget Colonel Sanders and Burl Ives. Think Brad Pitt and Snoop Doggy Dog.

The Goatee, not always the hippest of facial hair, is again the growth of choice on cutting-edge chins. It's less than a beard, more than a mustache, and much cooler than when Maynard G. Krebbs sported one, daddy-o.

"It seems like this is the trend these days." said Boston Bruins defenseman Ray Bourque, one of several dozen hockey players who sported good-luck goatees rather than the usual beards for this year's play-offs.

Bourque has since shaved, but that puts him in the minority.

Turn on MTV. There's John Mellencamp wearing a little beard reminiscent of the classic Krebs goatee.

(Remember Maynard? Bob Denver played the beatnik sidekick on the '60s sitcom "The Many Lives of Dobie Gillis.")

Take yourself out to the ballgame. There's pitchers Jack McDowell of the Chicago White Sox and Bret Saberhagen of the New York Mets and catcher Charlie O'Brien of the Atlanta Braves.
(Athletes and musicians are two major goatee growing groups)

Head over to the Cannes Film Festival and check out Bruce Willis' chic beard. Stopping in Los Angeles? A goateed Pitt, the star of "A River Runs Through It" and "Thelma and Louise" was photographed recently outside of a Los Angeles club.

Hit the World Cup, where U.S. defender Alexi attracted as much attention for his flowing goatee as for his game. His three-inch mini-beard turned Lalas into America's most recognizable soccer player and landed him appearances with Jay Leno and David Letterman. Letterman trimmed it up.

How cool is Lalas' growth?

"I have employed a full-time staff of highly-trained professionals to keep it clean," he joked.

There's more. ABC's hour of prime-time goatees, with Michael O'Keefe on "Roseanne" and Ayre Gross on "These Friends of Mine;" the grunge goatees of Alice in Chain's Layne Stayley and Soundgarden's Chris Cornell; the "I love this goatee" look of NBA stars from Kevin Johnson of the Phoenix Suns to Karl Malone of the Utah Jazz....

...But the question no longer is to goatee or not goatee--The beards are everywhere: the greybeards: Bruce Springsteen, Robert Duran. The directors: Spike Lee, Robert Altman. Generation X: Actors Ethan Hawke, Billy Baldwin. The international crowd: Italian soccer star Roberto Baggio, U2's guitarist The Edge." - Jul. 22nd 1994

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nUsxMkDm8d0/UybkjrysOsI/AAAAAAAAAAA/o-BC-F5Xswo/s1600/yawn1.jpg

Good work, CHILD. I see we're putting everything together in our own words now because we were of age to see it all. ;D

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/05/15 at 9:12 pm

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nUsxMkDm8d0/UybkjrysOsI/AAAAAAAAAAA/o-BC-F5Xswo/s1600/yawn1.jpg

As always, you are wrong. :)

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 05/05/15 at 9:14 pm

As always, you are wrong. :)

As always, you need to grow up, "90s KID". ;D

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/05/15 at 9:40 pm

As always, you need to grow up, "90s KID". ;D

Says the guy who was 13 in 1990 and 15 in 1992 yet is the self-proclaimed early 1990s expert.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 05/05/15 at 9:46 pm

Says the guy who was 13 in 1990 and 15 in 1992 yet is the self-proclaimed early 1990s expert.

I'd rather be that guy than a person, one who was around the age of 2 years old in 1992, claiming that 1992 was "a mid '90s year". On top of that, he calls himself "90s Guy"? Ha! Thanks for the laugh. That was grade A comedy material. ;D

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/05/15 at 9:56 pm

I'd rather be that guy than a person, one who was around the age of 2 years old in 1992, claiming that 1992 was "a mid '90s year". On top of that, he calls himself "90s Guy"? Ha! Thanks for the laugh. That was grade A comedy material. ;D

You do realize I called '92 a "mid 90s year" just to annoy you, right? It's pretty fun, actually!
Damn right. You ask anyone I know and they'll tell you I'm pretty much a relic from 1995. Well, at least my comedy was passing. Yours sadly isn't.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 05/05/15 at 10:22 pm

You do realize I called '92 a "mid 90s year" just to annoy you, right? It's pretty fun, actually!

I knew that, but you still literally made a thread out of it. ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/05/15 at 10:47 pm

Like I said before guys, this personal arguing is pointless! We are ALL going to have different opinions no matter what!

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 05/05/15 at 10:52 pm

Like I said before guys, this personal arguing is pointless! We are ALL going to have different opinions no matter what!

You speak the truth. Too bad there aren't more members like you on here.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/05/15 at 10:54 pm

You speak the truth. Too bad there aren't more members like you on here.

thanks! I just irks me that people take things to that freakin level! 8-P We are all adults here and acting like children aint making us look like good role models to kids who might come across the boards! :-\\

Written By: Howard on 05/06/15 at 1:51 pm

Could you two stop arguing, please! You're both acting like children! ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...