inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Graphical Adventure Games (King's Quest, Monkey Island, Broken Sword, Sam & Max)

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/05/15 at 2:13 am

Did anyone play these games back during their heyday in the early-mid 90s?

Subject: Re: Graphical Adventure Games (King's Quest, Monkey Island, Broken Sword, Sam & Max)

Written By: nally on 05/05/15 at 8:40 pm

I never played 'em, but I have observed others (including friends) playing them.

Subject: Re: Graphical Adventure Games (King's Quest, Monkey Island, Broken Sword, Sam & Max)

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/05/15 at 8:40 pm

Dude, you really need to chill out with the new topics. You're turning into Donnie Darko. What started off as interesting posts is quickly escalating into spam, and I don't want you to get banned. Go back to the style of your early posts.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/05/15 at 8:42 pm

Never heard of any of them. What systems were they for?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/05/15 at 8:46 pm

Never heard of any of them. What systems were they for?

PC/Mac. Adventure Games were the dominant genre in PC gaming from the mid 80s to roughly around the mid 90s. Myst, a graphical adventure game, was the highest selling PC game of all time from 1995 to 2000, just to give you an idea of how popular the genre was; from '90-95, King's Quest V held that title.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/05/15 at 8:47 pm

PC/Mac. Adventure Games were the dominant genre in PC gaming from the mid 80s to roughly around the mid 90s. Myst, a graphical adventure game, was the highest selling PC game of all time from 1995 to 2000, just to give you an idea of how popular the genre was; from '90-95, King's Quest V held that title.

PC gaming was never a thing I tried out, so I wouldn't know if it's much fun or not. Even how you play that way.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/05/15 at 8:49 pm

PC gaming was never a thing I tried out, so I wouldn't know if it's much fun or not. Even how you play that way.

Hmm. Would you be interested in watching some playthroughs of some of the titles? Adventure games were akin to interactive novels, basically; they were also family friendly (but not children's games by any stretch), and their main element consisted of solving a puzzle to move forward in the story - you had to use your brains to advance, not a sword or gun like in modern games.

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/15 at 8:54 pm

you had to use your brains to advance, not a sword or gun like in modern games.

So I'm guessing you never advanced in these games :P

Seriously though, I remember these games, but I never played them.  I thought console gaming was far better than computer gaming and it still is!

Check for new replies or respond here...