inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Retro Craze" in the '90s

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/14/15 at 1:41 pm

I like to look through old yearbooks on classmates.com, and I was looking at this 1994 yearbook for a public high school in north Texas when I got to a spread talking about fashion trends for the time. Basically, it talked about this "retro influence" sweeping the nation.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx256/Mathew_2010/od%20wyatt_zpsgm3qzeso.png

I didn't notice any retro-inspired clothing in this yearbook, though. For example, the page says something about '60s-inspired chokers. I didn't even know chokers were a thing in the '60s. Why is it that, to me at least, the retro influence doesn't become more apparent until I look at pictures from the mid-to-late '90s?

Subject: Re: "Retro Craze" in the '90s

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/14/15 at 4:23 pm

Because that's when people became more accepting of retro influences from the 1970's. This is especially true from 1996-onwards.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/14/15 at 5:26 pm

Because that's when people became more accepting of retro influences from the 1970's. This is especially true from 1996-onwards.

What were the retro influences in the early '90s, then? I keep reading old articles about this "big" '60s revival in the early '90s, but I don't really see anything indicating a '60s revival when I look at things like high school yearbooks from that era. I mean, if I look hard enough, I might see a few things, but it doesn't look like anything huge.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/14/15 at 7:29 pm

It feels like there were a lot of covers and interpolations dominating popular music in the 90s, especially after Bad Boy Records became popular.

Written By: Katluver on 07/14/15 at 9:53 pm

I like to look through old yearbooks on classmates.com, and I was looking at this 1994 yearbook for a public high school in north Texas when I got to a spread talking about fashion trends for the time. Basically, it talked about this "retro influence" sweeping the nation.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx256/Mathew_2010/od%20wyatt_zpsgm3qzeso.png

I didn't notice any retro-inspired clothing in this yearbook, though. For example, the page says something about '60s-inspired chokers. I didn't even know chokers were a thing in the '60s. Why is it that, to me at least, the retro influence doesn't become more apparent until I look at pictures from the mid-to-late '90s?

The '90s did seem particularly nostalgic.  What I also recall with '90s fashion, is that many clothing and accessories seemed to have a "recyclable" flare, meaning that 50s lunchboxes were used as handbags, waitress dresses were worn not just for serving, baby barrettes were worn by young women...I miss that decade!

Written By: nally on 07/15/15 at 3:05 pm

It feels like there were a lot of covers and interpolations dominating popular music in the 90s, especially after Bad Boy Records became popular.

Oh yeah, I could name several cover songs that came out then. Some of which I actually enjoyed; others not so much.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/15 at 5:25 pm

:o The fashion in that yearbook looks so 80s/early 90s. Damn, even when they try to put in retro fashion, it looks so modern back then.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/17/15 at 11:50 pm

I just remember in the mid-90s not liking fashion because it had the 70s influence and even at that young age--less than 10--I knew inherently, it was UGLY.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/21/16 at 6:51 am

I've been on classmates.com as well over the past couple of days, particularly on the 1994-1995 school year. Most of the clothes look '80s/early '90s, with the fried hair, big and dorky glasses, ugly sweaters, mom and dad jeans, bowl cuts, and flannel shirts. These are your typical day-to-day fashions of that era that you could buy at places like Wal-Mart and K-Mart, not stuff that is stylish, but is cheap.

However, it can vary a lot depending on location. The most stylish yearbooks I found from that school year were Ocean View High School (Huntington Beach, California), Spruce Creek High School (Port Orange, Florida), and Maynard Evans High School (Orlando, Florida). Particularly pages:

1995 Ocean View High School
pp. 6/7
pp. 74/75
pp. 168

1995 Spruce Creek High School
pp. 18 (hairstyles)
pp. 33
pp. 38/39
pp. 48/49
pp. 72/73

1995 Maynard Evans High School
pp. 8/9
pp. 40/41

And that's what I've found so far. In these pictures within the pages that I mentioned I saw some people wearing distinct mid '90s fashions, it was also interesting to see two people standing side-by-side, one looking early '90s and the other looking mid '90s! So different! I really wish I could post the pictures, but I can't. The website won't let me open them up in another tab.

Check for new replies or respond here...