inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Power Rangers vs. Pokemon

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/26/15 at 5:48 pm

Of these two '90s mega phenomenons among kids, which was better?

Subject: Re: Power Rangers vs. Pokemon

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/26/15 at 7:00 pm

Pokemon wins. Hands down. No competition. Do you really think kids today would give a sheesh about Power Rangers? Well, some, but compared to how many kids love Pokemon, it's just so dominant. And all they do on Power Rangers is just fight monsters with some of the worst lip-syncing that everyone saw.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/26/15 at 8:05 pm

Power Rangers. I wanted to marry the original Black Ranger, and I cannot tell you how many busted lips I witnessed on the playground because suddenly EVERYONE was a martial arts master.
And that was the ONLY thing to get me out of bed at 6 am to watch it.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/26/15 at 8:22 pm

This depends very much on when you were born.  I remember Power Rangers being a thing when I was like 3-5 years old, but I became completely hooked on Pokémon after it came out while I was 6.  Even though I mostly fell in love wit the video games, the anime still gives me a ton of fond memories.

Power Rangers is marred by its racist stereotypes, and it just doesn't have the same level of originality of Pokémon.  It's best, really, for introducing young children to action flicks, but again, starting with the its racialized archetypes, it doesn't do the best job of it.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/26/15 at 9:12 pm

I agree with infinity! Age plays a factor in all of this people my age would say Pokemon but older guys, basically people a decade older than me would say power rangers of course! I love both though!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/27/15 at 6:25 pm

I agree with infinity! Age plays a factor in all of this people my age would say Pokemon but older guys, basically people a decade older than me would say power rangers of course! I love both though!

This really begs the question is Pokemon a 90's fad or a 00's fad? The show was a huge success in the very late 90's, infact my earliest memories are of myself watching it on Kids WB during its first season, however if you consider the first 5 seasons (which most Gen Yers and OG Pokemon fans would consider the best era for the show) wouldn't it be more of a early 00's fad. I most definitely remember playing the Pokemon trading card game throughout Kindergarten through 2nd Grade

Written By: bchris02 on 07/27/15 at 6:38 pm

I agree it depends on when you were born.  I was born in 1985 and I was obsessed with Power Rangers.  I was into it through all three MMPR seasons and Zeo.  I quit watching when they went Turbo in 1997. By the time Pokemon was big I was a little past the prime age for it.  I was in 8th grade during its peak year (1999-2000) and I had some classmates that were into it but I was among those who thought I was too old and too cool to be into a kids show like that. My younger sister, born in 1990, was into it big time however. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/15 at 6:46 pm

This really begs the question is Pokemon a 90's fad or a 00's fad? The show was a huge success in the very late 90's, infact my earliest memories are of myself watching it on Kids WB during its first season, however if you consider the first 5 seasons (which most Gen Yers and OG Pokemon fans would consider the best era for the show) wouldn't it be more of a early 00's fad. I most definitely remember playing the Pokemon trading card game throughout Kindergarten through 2nd Grade

I think Pokemon was more of a 90s fad that turned into a 2000s phenomenon. Kids still like it today, but it wasn't that big in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/27/15 at 6:55 pm

I think Pokemon was more of a 90s fad that turned into a 2000s phenomenon. Kids still like it today, but it wasn't that big in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Believe it or not, Power Rangers is still around today as well.

Pokemon was biggest around the Y2K era.  There were actually shootings in my area over cards at that time.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/27/15 at 7:00 pm

Pokemon was biggest around the Y2K era.  There were actually shootings in my area over cards at that time.

Yeah being born in 1996 I feel I was one of the last to truly grow up with Pokemon during its prime. It seemed like the fad started to die around 2003 when Yu-Gi-Oh started to get very popular

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/27/15 at 7:01 pm

Yes Pokemon is a millennium era icon, while Power Rangers is more queniessental 90s

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/27/15 at 7:09 pm

Yeah being born in 1996 I feel I was one of the last to truly grow up with Pokemon during its prime. It seemed like the fad started to die around 2003 when Yu-Gi-Oh started to get very popular

Preschool- Kindergarten it was all about Pokemon vs digimon! Then 1st grade Yu Gi Oh vs Pokemon debates at my school then 2nd grade when Misty left the series, Yu Gi Oh was the rage!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/27/15 at 7:11 pm

I agree it depends on when you were born.  I was born in 1985 and I was obsessed with Power Rangers.  I was into it through all three MMPR seasons and Zeo.  I quit watching when they went Turbo in 1997. By the time Pokemon was big I was a little past the prime age for it.  I was in 8th grade during its peak year (1999-2000) and I had some classmates that were into it but I was among those who thought I was too old and too cool to be into a kids show like that. My younger sister, born in 1990, was into it big time however. 

Yea, people your age group were WAY TOO old for Pokemon when it first came on the scene!!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/27/15 at 7:44 pm

Preschool- Kindergarten it was all about Pokemon vs digimon! Then 1st grade Yu Gi Oh vs Pokemon debates at my school then 2nd grade when Misty left the series, Yu Gi Oh was the rage!

Yeah I remember when Misty left in 2nd grade, the tv show was never the same. Although I still played the video games!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/15 at 8:04 pm

Yeah I remember when Misty left in 2nd grade, the tv show was never the same. Although I still played the video games!

Do you still play the games, or did you stop?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/27/15 at 8:15 pm

Do you still play the games, or did you stop?

Unfortunately I stopped. Not because of nostalgia blindness though (I tend to hate Gen Wunners with a passion) but I just moved on from Pokemon. Its still a great franchise though, but I tend to play other types of games, also being in college and working its hard to find time and play a time consuming rpg series like that. Heck I don't really play the Final Fantasy games any more that much because of the same reason...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/27/15 at 8:18 pm

Unfortunately I stopped. Not because of nostalgia blindness though (I tend to hate Gen Wunners with a passion) but I just moved on from Pokemon. Its still a great franchise though, but I tend to play other types of games, also being in college and working its hard to find time and play a time consuming rpg series like that. Heck I don't really play the Final Fantasy games any more that much because of the same reason...

What generation did you stop playing Pokemon?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/27/15 at 8:26 pm

What generation did you stop playing Pokemon?

Around generation 4

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 07/27/15 at 9:12 pm

Power Rangers all the way!!! I personally was never into Pokemon when it was big in the late 90s and early 2000s like other people my age and I was born in 1991.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/30/15 at 2:55 am

As someone who witnessed both growing up, I have to say Pokémon. While there is nothing wrong with Power Rangers, it seems that the Pokemon phenomenon was much bigger than the latter. Everywhere I went was Pokemon everything in stores. Toys, Movies, Anime, Cards and more. You name it. I even recall getting some of the toys from Burger King when they were giving them out. Even more, I remember the first 3 seasons of the anime airing on Kids WB before it was on CN. It was such a huge trend to be in as a kid.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 6:36 am

As someone who witnessed both growing up, I have to say Pokémon. While there is nothing wrong with Power Rangers, it seems that the Pokemon phenomenon was much bigger than the latter. Everywhere I went was Pokemon everything in stores. Toys, Movies, Anime, Cards and more. You name it. I even recall getting some of the toys from Burger King when they were giving them out. Even more, I remember the first 3 seasons of the anime airing on Kids WB before it was on CN. It was such a huge trend to be in as a kid.

I thought they rarely aired Pokemon on CN in the early 2000s, before ending the show on Kids WB with the Advanced Generation series in 2006/2007.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/30/15 at 9:24 am

I thought they rarely aired Pokemon on CN in the early 2000s, before ending the show on Kids WB with the Advanced Generation series in 2006/2007.
It still was. I didn't see pokemon on CN more often until Summer 2003/04. Before that, it was on Kids WB the most. I was just saying for myself that I recall watching the first 3/4/5 seasons of Pokemon on the latter channel. While Pokemon was shown a lot more on CN later on, the new episodes still came on Kids WB. However, when it began airing on the former, it started from the first episode.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/30/15 at 9:25 am

I would say that Pokemon is really both a '90s and '00s fad. I compare it to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which despite being thought of generally as an "eighties thing", was still hugely popular in the early '90s. Even though the third movie wound up being a huge dud, I still remember kids (including myself) being extremely hyped for it back in 1993, which was a full five years after the cartoon's popularity first exploded in 1988. I see the popularity of Pokemon following a pretty similar trajectory actually, as Red and Blue first came out in the U.S. on the Game Boy in 1998, and the fad crested around 2000 when Pokemon Gold and Silver were released in the States, just like TMNT peaked in 1990 with the first film. Even though alot of kids my age stopped being into Pokemon after 2000 (we'd be the so-called "Gen Wunners" ;D) both the anime and games were still very popular up until around 2003 or 2004.

As far as the Power Rangers vs. Pokemon debate, I'd agree that it mostly depends on how old you are. The large majority of people my age would probably say Power Rangers is better, but I go against the grain here. I think if you look at it objectively, the Pokemon anime is a better product than MMPR, and the Pokemon video games are far superior to any games put out under the Power Ranger brand (although some of the mid '90s 16-bit beat-em-ups like MMPR: The Movie have aged fairly well).

Written By: mqg96 on 07/30/15 at 9:48 am

It still was. I didn't see pokemon on CN more often until Summer 2003/04. Before that, it was on Kids WB the most. I was just saying for myself that I recall watching the first 3/4/5 seasons of Pokemon on the latter channel. While Pokemon was shown a lot more on CN later on, the new episodes still came on Kids WB. However, when it began airing on the former, it started from the first episode.

Reruns of the original Pokemon & even Yu-Gi-Oh at the same time both joined the Cartoon Network schedule around late 2002 and aired a lot of reruns throughout 2003 & 2004, before that each of the two were only seen on Kids WB. Even after Misty left around late 2003/early 2004 new episodes of Pokemon were still premiering on Kids WB up until around 2006ish or so and since then it's only been on Cartoon Network now.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/30/15 at 9:50 am

I would say that Pokemon is really both a '90s and '00s fad. I compare it to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which despite being thought of generally as an "eighties thing", was still hugely popular in the early '90s. Even though the third movie wound up being a huge dud, I still remember kids (including myself) being extremely hyped for it back in 1993, which was a full five years after the cartoon's popularity first exploded in 1988. I see the popularity of Pokemon following a pretty similar trajectory actually, as Red and Blue first came out in the U.S. on the Game Boy in 1998, and the fad crested around 2000 when Pokemon Gold and Silver were released in the States, just like TMNT peaked in 1990 with the first film. Even though alot of kids my age stopped being into Pokemon after 2000 (we'd be the so-called "Gen Wunners" ;D) both the anime and games were still very popular up until around 2003 or 2004.

As far as the Power Rangers vs. Pokemon debate, I'd agree that it mostly depends on how old you are. The large majority of people my age would probably say Power Rangers is better, but I go against the grain here. I think if you look at it objectively, the Pokemon anime is a better product than MMPR, and the Pokemon video games are far superior to any games put out under the Power Ranger brand (although some of the mid '90s 16-bit beat-em-ups like MMPR: The Movie have aged fairly well).

Yeah, I'd say that the Pokemon games and cards itself peaked in both the 90's and early 2000's, but if we're talking about the TV series itself, then I'd say the peak of that was pretty much the entire early 2000's.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/30/15 at 1:54 pm

Reruns of the original Pokemon & even Yu-Gi-Oh at the same time both joined the Cartoon Network schedule around late 2002 and aired a lot of reruns throughout 2003 & 2004, before that each of the two were only seen on Kids WB. Even after Misty left around late 2003/early 2004 new episodes of Pokemon were still premiering on Kids WB up until around 2006ish or so and since then it's only been on Cartoon Network now.
Yep. I remember seeing both of them being added on the CN schedule around that timeframe.  Before that, kids were only able to see new episodes of both anime on Kids WB.

And yes Pokemon still aired new episodes on Kids WB despite them being reruns on CN until Summer 2006. By then, Kids WB became CW4Kids. I remember Advanced, AC and AB all airing during their respective seasons and they were the last ones to air on Kids WB before switching to CN starting with BF that Fall.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 2:03 pm

Yep. I remember seeing both of them being added on the CN schedule around that timeframe.  Before that, kids were only able to see new episodes of both anime on Kids WB.

And yes Pokemon still aired new episodes on Kids WB despite them being reruns on CN until Summer 2006. By then, Kids WB became CW4Kids. I remember Advanced, AC and AB all airing during their respective seasons and they were the last ones to air on Kids WB before switching to CN starting with BF that Fall.

But wouldn't it make sense that Cartoon Network started to air new episodes with Diamond and Pearl in 2007.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/30/15 at 2:24 pm

Completely agree with this.  MMPR was one of the cheesiest low-budget kids shows ever produced.  It was a little better during its third season and through Zeo but it was still a very low-quality production.  MMPR The Movie had some of the worst CGI I've ever seen in a feature film.  I prefer Power Rangers because it holds significant nostalgic value for me and Pokemon doesn't, but looking at it objectively Pokemon was a better show.  If I would have been born in 1987 instead of 1985 I probably would have been obsessed with Pokemon.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/30/15 at 3:25 pm

But wouldn't it make sense that Cartoon Network started to air new episodes with Diamond and Pearl in 2007.
I actually thought that too, but I looked online and it stated that Pokemon began airing new episodes on CN with Battle Frontier during the 2006-07 season. Then the following summer hit, and that's when D&P first aired.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/31/15 at 9:02 am

I liked Pokémon in 1999-2000, but I liked Power Rangers from 1994 to 1998.

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/31/15 at 9:06 am

Pokemon is still going, but it's changed. It was a big deal in both decades, so I say it's both. Just the 2000's saw it all the way through. I guess how it evolves is what keeps it going.

Completely agree with this.  MMPR was one of the cheesiest low-budget kids shows ever produced.  It was a little better during its third season and through Zeo but it was still a very low-quality production.  MMPR The Movie had some of the worst CGI I've ever seen in a feature film.  I prefer Power Rangers because it holds significant nostalgic value for me and Pokemon doesn't, but looking at it objectively Pokemon was a better show.  If I would have been born in 1987 instead of 1985 I probably would have been obsessed with Pokemon.

I used to love Power Rangers when I was 9, and that fizzled out before I entered the 4th grade. After seeing the movie and collecting the toys, I must have gotten burnt out on it. Plus the show went downhill and new toy lines were introduced that weren't the same. Looking back now I can laugh at how cheezy the acting was and how fake the effects were. It has nostalgia value for me, but that's it. I was too old for Pokemon and I never got into YuGiOh either, but knew several people in their 20's who played it.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/03/15 at 11:17 am

The problem with Power Rangers is that it doesn't carry as much originality as Pokemon does. Since Lost Galaxy in 1999, all we have are season-long arcs that seemingly get resolved, with the occassional "Forever" or "Reunion" episode from seasons past. That said, the current generation of Power Rangers (Dino Charge) unfortunately proves that recycling works for kids, but not for grown-ups (even comic books are subject to this). I actually prefer VR Troopers (and enjoyed it more at the time) over Power Rangers since not only it has a more interesting backstory, the fighting and effects seemed cooler, and that was for a show that had stock footage that was older (80s) compared to its more well-known cousin.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/03/15 at 2:03 pm

The problem with Power Rangers is that it doesn't carry as much originality as Pokemon does. Since Lost Galaxy in 1999, all we have are season-long arcs that seemingly get resolved, with the occassional "Forever" or "Reunion" episode from seasons past. That said, the current generation of Power Rangers (Dino Charge) unfortunately proves that recycling works for kids, but not for grown-ups (even comic books are subject to this). I actually prefer VR Troopers (and enjoyed it more at the time) over Power Rangers since not only it has a more interesting backstory, the fighting and effects seemed cooler, and that was for a show that had stock footage that was older (80s) compared to its more well-known cousin.

It's not all bad with Power Rangers.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/03/15 at 2:42 pm

Pokemon is cool. I really like the Hoenn region, it holds the most nostalgia value for me. However, the Kanto and Johto regions are the best. They were the most original.

Power Rangers could be awesome at times. The acting was horrible in the Mighty Morphin' years, but it could be pretty good in some seasons.

Power Rangers Time Force, however, was awesome!! The acting was amazing, at young adult television levels at times. Erin Cahill is such a great actress, criminally underrated. She deserves to be so much more famous than she is/was. I noticed the cast were all very attractive and stylish. The cast of previous seasons weren't always like this. While the clothing does look quite ridiculous and outdated, I won't be surprised when it comes back in a few years.

Power Rangers Time Force had the best acting of the entire series! It's up there in acting level with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Dawson's Creek. The show was almost renewed for a second season! Don't get me wrong, Wild Force was great too, the second best acting in the series, but it's not as good as Time Force. Power Rangers Time Force is the best season of the Power Rangers saga, having watched the whole season as an adult last year really opened my eyes.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/03/15 at 4:06 pm

Pokemon is cool. I really like the Hoenn region, it holds the most nostalgia value for me. However, the Kanto and Johto regions are the best. They were the most original.

Power Rangers could be awesome at times. The acting was horrible in the Mighty Morphin' years, but it could be pretty good in some seasons.

Power Rangers Time Force, however, was awesome!! The acting was amazing, at young adult television levels at times. Erin Cahill is such a great actress, criminally underrated. She deserves to be so much more famous than she is/was. I noticed the cast were all very attractive and stylish. The cast of previous seasons weren't always like this. While the clothing does look quite ridiculous and outdated, I won't be surprised when it comes back in a few years.

Power Rangers Time Force had the best acting of the entire series! It's up there in acting level with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Dawson's Creek. The show was almost renewed for a second season! Don't get me wrong, Wild Force was great too, the second best acting in the series, but it's not as good as Time Force. Power Rangers Time Force is the best season of the Power Rangers saga, having watched the whole season as an adult last year really opened my eyes.

You started watching Pokemon in the Hoenn region or was that your favorite one?

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/03/15 at 5:31 pm

I don't know. I took part in the Pokemon craze, starting in 98/99, and I think it went on until 2001. After then I saw people playing with Yugioh cards.
It still is big, but I won't accept any Pokemon besides the original 150 (or 151) ones.
Anyone remembers that movie around 2000?

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/03/15 at 8:01 pm

You started watching Pokemon in the Hoenn region or was that your favorite one?

Neither. It's just that the Hoenn region was popular during the peak of my childhood, so I have the most nostalgic memories for it.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/03/15 at 8:14 pm

Neither. It's just that the Hoenn region was popular during the peak of my childhood, so I have the most nostalgic memories for it.

Oh ok thats cool :)

I liked Seasons 1-5 the best though, but I still watched the show regularly until Season 8 or so...

Do you remember season 1?

Written By: joeman on 08/03/15 at 9:55 pm

Power Rangers

I was too old for Pokeman, though ironically I liked digimon much better.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/03/15 at 11:59 pm

Ooh you mean the advanced season! Seriously? That's actually when my interest was beginning to decline during 2nd grade, when misty left and may and max came in I was disappointed! seasons 1-5 give me the most nostalgia!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/04/15 at 12:00 am

Yeah bro Time Force was the best season of the series seeing that back in kindergarten was AMAZING!!

Written By: mqg96 on 08/04/15 at 12:51 am

Oh ok thats cool :)

I liked Seasons 1-5 the best though, but I still watched the show regularly until Season 8 or so...

Do you remember season 1?

I can only recall Seasons 3-5 of Pokemon's original run on Kids WB when Misty was still around regularly, and that makes since because I started watching Kids WB around 2001 and Pokemon was still in the middle of season 3 going on 4, and I watched Season 6 & 7 as well with May & Max. After season 7 ended that was around the time Kids WB was jumping the shark and I quit watching the network right before it moved to CW. Seasons 1-2 of Pokemon I caught reruns on Cartoon Network from late 2002 through all of 2003.

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/04/15 at 9:25 am

Season 1! If I remember, Ash overslept and then the only Pokemon left to be given by the prof was Pikachu? Long ago..

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/15 at 4:39 pm

I don't know. I took part in the Pokemon craze, starting in 98/99, and I think it went on until 2001. After then I saw people playing with Yugioh cards.
It still is big, but I won't accept any Pokemon besides the original 150 (or 151) ones.
Anyone remembers that movie around 2000?
Same here. Pokemon was really huge from 1998 to 2001. After that, the phenomenon diminished into thin air and Yugioh began to rise.

I do. I recall the hype for the first movie and it was sad when Ash turned into stone. It was one of the best kids movies I've watched when I was a kid.

Check for new replies or respond here...