inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was being a teen like in the late 90's?

Written By: GH1996 on 08/06/15 at 3:54 am

Came across a box in my attic covered in dust, opened it up to see year books from the late 90's, 1998 Super Bowl stickers, Cd's (backstreet boys, blink 182, and a CD player..), class of 2000 pin

I'm just curious what it was like to be a high school student/teen then if anyone could answer it?

Subject: Re: What was being a teen like in the late 90's?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/13/15 at 8:03 pm

This Buzzfeed post might help you.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emmyf/chalked-ids-and-quarter-waters#.tjlXlvApq9

Written By: 80sfan on 08/13/15 at 8:08 pm

Gas was cheaper, like $1.08. Lucky jerks!  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/13/15 at 8:13 pm

I thought gas was like under $1 in the 90s. According to some 90s kids like you, who think that gas prices are important to society. (I still like you.)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/13/15 at 8:16 pm

Is Teen people and Seventeen still popular magazines? They were huge during the late 90s.

There were stars that were popular with the teens like Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy), Brandy, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Freddie Prince Jr., Aaron Carter, Nsync, and more.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/13/15 at 8:17 pm

I thought gas was like under $1 in the 90s. According to some 90s kids like you, who think that gas prices are important to society. (I still like you.)

It probably was. I remember it only took $20 for a full tank, if the car was a decent size.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/13/15 at 8:21 pm

Is Teen people and Seventeen still popular magazines? They were huge during the late 90s.

There were stars that were popular with the teens like Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy), Brandy, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Freddie Prince Jr., Aaron Carter, Nsync, and more.

For Seventeen, yes, it's still active and I bet it's still popular. For Teen People, no. Their last issue was released in September 2006.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/15 at 7:10 am

and today it's close to $3 a gallon. :o

Written By: Howard on 08/14/15 at 7:11 am

I remember when teen magazines were popular in the 80's.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/10/20 at 8:55 pm

I was high school class of June 1998. During my high school years(1994 to early 98), first class would begin at 8:30 AM because once I arrived to school it was first "Homeroom" where the instructor or homeroom teacher would take attendance and make sure everyone was in there. Then it was off to the first class. So back then, there weren't any groups. Everyone sat and talked together during the afternoon. Then it was back to class. It was so romantic as well! Lol! If I was ignoring them, a boy would push his desk next to mine and ask me what kind of music I liked. Then of course, Sometimes we would get a tongue lashing from the teacher. So boring, right? ::) The school day ended at 2:45 pm. Then we would go home! The only way we could communicate with another classmate was on the phone, or meet up somewhere. We would visit each other and play video games or talked. I would read magazines to find out about the latest trends or articles about my favorite bands or singers. I watched VH1, and MTV. My favorite TV shows were, Flash Forward and Boy Meets World.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/11/20 at 12:05 pm

Mid 90s gas was under a dollar a gallon here. By the late 90s it was up to 1.50.

I wasn’t quite a teen anymore but it was a dark time for me. I had finished college and was working my first engineering job.  I don’t drink so it was difficult to fit into adult related things. Didn’t care for anything on the radio which seemed all post grunge which to me still sounded dark. So I started going to the used tape store and building my collection of 80s music which I still have. I got my first CD player which was a changer I put in my car.  Also got my first computer and internet and participated in many chat rooms.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/11/20 at 3:48 pm

Mid 90s gas was under a dollar a gallon here. By the late 90s it was up to 1.50.

I wasn’t quite a teen anymore but it was a dark time for me. I had finished college and was working my first engineering job.  I don’t drink so it was difficult to fit into adult related things. Didn’t care for anything on the radio which seemed all post grunge which to me still sounded dark. So I started going to the used tape store and building my collection of 80s music which I still have. I got my first CD player which was a changer I put in my car.  Also got my first computer and internet and participated in many chat rooms.

I remember chat rooms. There was one on AOL I use to be on. Only one day I stopped going on it because there were a lot of weirdos there lol! And I was just a kid but I knew that much. When I look back on that it doesn't seem so bad compared to what's out there today.

Written By: nally on 02/11/20 at 5:19 pm

I was high school class of June 1998.

So was I. :)

During my high school years(1994 to early 98), first class would begin at 8:30 AM because once I arrived to school it was first "Homeroom" where the instructor or homeroom teacher would take attendance and make sure everyone was in there. Then it was off to the first class. So back then, there weren't any groups. Everyone sat and talked together during the afternoon. Then it was back to class. It was so romantic as well! Lol! If I was ignoring them, a boy would push his desk next to mine and ask me what kind of music I liked. Then of course, Sometimes we would get a tongue lashing from the teacher. So boring, right? ::) The school day ended at 2:45 pm. Then we would go home! The only way we could communicate with another classmate was on the phone, or meet up somewhere. We would visit each other and play video games or talked. I would read magazines to find out about the latest trends or articles about my favorite bands or singers. I watched VH1, and MTV. My favorite TV shows were, Flash Forward and Boy Meets World.

Wow, sounds like you had an interesting life in your HS years!

Where I went to HS, the bell schedule was different. The day ran from 7:45 to 2:25. Of course on the first day we all reported to our homerooms, where we would get our class schedules (and whichever teacher was in there would take attendance)... but on a normal day, first period would be first. Then homeroom. Then periods two and three. Then lunch for half-hour. Then periods four, five, and six, in that order.

During my freshman year I didn't know a whole lotta people at first, but there were a few of them that I knew from middle school. I also met a few girls, including at least one who was a senior when I was a freshman. Then in sophomore year, I really started to get popular with the girls. In fact, most of the people who signed my yearbooks were girls. And in junior year, I started giving them hugs. :D However, I never met with them anywhere outside of campus...unless I happened to see one someplace while I was out, such as a shopping mall lol. And that did happen a few times.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/11/20 at 5:43 pm

So was I. :)

Wow, sounds like you had an interesting life in your HS years!

Where I went to HS, the bell schedule was different. The day ran from 7:45 to 2:25. Of course on the first day we all reported to our homerooms, where we would get our class schedules (and whichever teacher was in there would take attendance)... but on a normal day, first period would be first. Then homeroom. Then periods two and three. Then lunch for half-hour. Then periods four, five, and six, in that order.

During my freshman year I didn't know a whole lotta people at first, but there were a few of them that I knew from middle school. I also met a few girls, including at least one who was a senior when I was a freshman. Then in sophomore year, I really started to get popular with the girls. In fact, most of the people who signed my yearbooks were girls. And in junior year, I started giving them hugs. :D However, I never met with them anywhere outside of campus...unless I happened to see one someplace while I was out, such as a shopping mall lol. And that did happen a few times.

Yes. We had 6 period classes as well. But for us homeroom was first. I guess it was different here in the North East.  :)

Written By: nally on 02/11/20 at 5:46 pm

Yes. We had 6 period classes as well. But for us homeroom was first. I guess it was different here in the North East.  :)

I guess so. However, some high schools in California might do homeroom first. I don't know because I only went to one of them. (However, I can ask my parents what their bell schedules were like, because they went to grade school in California as well. I'm sure they'd remember.)

However, when I was in middle school, homeroom was always first.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/20 at 4:41 am

I remember chat rooms. There was one on AOL I use to be on. Only one day I stopped going on it because there were a lot of weirdos there lol! And I was just a kid but I knew that much. When I look back on that it doesn't seem so bad compared to what's out there today.

I was already in my late 20's by this time and I do remember chat rooms, I frequented them all the time back then.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/12/20 at 8:36 am

I graduated in 1997, so coincidentally it was a transitional time in personal life in addition to the culture from the mid-90's to late/Y2K. My high school years were defined by the mid-90's culture. Bands like Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, 311, and Dave Mathews Band were very popular where I lived. Beavis and Butthead and Friends were popular on TV, and Forrest Gump, Braveheart, and Independence Day were some of the popular movies.

In the late 90's, I noticed the class of 1999 being featured in a lot of coming of age films, like American Pie.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/12/20 at 10:40 am

I was already in my late 20's by this time and I do remember chat rooms, I frequented them all the time back then.

Chat rooms actually taught me to type proficiently. I had keyboarding in high school but even through  college I had to write my papers then type them up. It wasn’t until chat rooms that I developed the connection between my brain and my fingers that allowed me to type from my head. And without that I would never be able to do the job I did a couple years later or even today.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/20 at 8:15 am

Chat rooms actually taught me to type proficiently. I had keyboarding in high school but even through  college I had to write my papers then type them up. It wasn’t until chat rooms that I developed the connection between my brain and my fingers that allowed me to type from my head. And without that I would never be able to do the job I did a couple years later or even today.

Did you ever get into arguments in the chatrooms?

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/13/20 at 11:09 am

Did you ever get into arguments in the chatrooms?

Once in a great while I did.

Written By: nally on 02/13/20 at 11:36 am

Chat rooms actually taught me to type proficiently. I had keyboarding in high school but even through college I had to write my papers then type them up. It wasn’t until chat rooms that I developed the connection between my brain and my fingers that allowed me to type from my head. And without that I would never be able to do the job I did a couple years later or even today.

I gradually typed more proficiently, thanks to them, as well.

In fact, I didn't even take a typing class until the start of my senior year of high school (summer 1997). Of course I made a lot of mistakes at first, but with plenty of practice, I gradually became better at it.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/20 at 2:14 pm

Once in a great while I did.

I myself almost always would get into an argument with somebody in the chatroom.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/13/20 at 2:19 pm

I myself almost always would get into an argument with somebody in the chatroom.

And you had to actually know the person, and most of the time there would be random people in it. Lol. It was weird. ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/13/20 at 2:49 pm

And you had to actually know the person, and most of the time there would be random people in it. Lol. It was weird. ;D

When I logged in, the same random people were there so a lot of the same people knew me.

Check for new replies or respond here...