inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90's Nickelodeon vs. 00's Cartoon Network

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/06/15 at 11:04 am

Which do you think was better?

The Golden Age of Nickelodeon from 1991-1998

Or

The Powerhouse era of Cartoon Network from 1997-2004

I would like to hear your opinions on this? Since I notice a lot of 90's kidd herald 90's Nick as the greatest thing ever while many 00's kids herald CN in the early-mid 00's as the greatest thing ever

Subject: Re: 90's Nickelodeon vs. 00's Cartoon Network

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/06/15 at 1:30 pm

Both were awesome in their own way. As I was able to witness both golden ages, Nickelodeon and CN put out the best work during those eras. They had diversity where everyone and their families watched the cartoons and the sitcoms. Heck, they weren't even watered-down at all. I recall watching Nickelodeon before Spongebob was even on the channel and it was very different from the 2000s. There was something for everyone and they were able to relate to whatever was on. As for CN, it was excellent before Adult Swim premiered. I remember watching Toonami coming on in the afternoon and at midnight; CCF was wonderful as the characters themselves were hosting and I can recall the pre-CCF days as well; the bumpers and the announcer were hilarious; and there were songs from the cartoons that kids can listen to and even sing along. Both eras were truly amazing on their own.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/06/15 at 3:16 pm

Can I cheat and say both? ;D ;D ;D  But seriously, I caught Nick when the Kalsey Cuspco era begun and when Cartoon Network was at the prime of it's life. I was still pretty damn young when Nick was in it's golden period. So, I went back and watched the old Nick stuff online and I was like "WOW :o  Nick was really great! I wish I had been a little bit older to watch it"  They had diverse programming sitcoms, game shows, original nicktoons, even their own news show(Linda Ellerbee).Cartoon Network on the other hand before Adult Swim EVEN premiered! They were putting out a KICK ASS product, Cartoon Cartoons on Fridays and even on prime time, Toonami block on the weekdays, Hannah Barbera and Looney Tunes reruns on the weekends and on weekdays after Toonami ended. IT WAS AWESOME!!! Then Adult Swim came on the scene and that changed everything! It was clear that in the new millennium Cartoon Network was now the top dog, they were the cool kids channel. It definitely felt like the most mature kids network out there. Nick still had their fans from the previous years, but CN was considered by my peers as cutting edge, fresh, and badass.
It was like the SNES vs Genesis battles. ;D 

Written By: mqg96 on 09/06/15 at 3:36 pm

Then Adult Swim came on the scene and that changed everything!

When Adult Swim premiered in 2001 even then it was only on about 2 or 3 times a week only and would start at 11pm, while the rest of the nights Cartoon Network was still 24 hours. Throughout Summer 2002 Cartoon Network would be 24 hours everyday except Saturday nights or Sunday nights from 11pm-2am but Mon-Fri Primetime and Cartoon Cartoon Fridays went all night long including the Hanna Barbera & Looney Tunes classics at midnights. It wasn't until 2003 when Adult Swim got extended to 5 nights a week (Sunday-Thursdays) starting at 11pm, when you started to see it take over Cartoon Network more. However throughout 2003 Friday and Saturday nights was still 24 hours. By 2004 Fridays were the only nights left Cartoon Network went throughout the whole night, and since 2007 up to now Adult Swim has been coming on everyday and being pushed to start at earlier hours, like 8pm every night. I see how throughout the years Adult Swim has really ruined Cartoon Network. I do miss it when Adult Swim wasn't around at all or when it was only on a couple of nights not starting until 11pm. Back in Cartoon Network's prime especially on the nights of Cartoon Cartoon Fridays or Primetime you'd always be staying up all night long watching Cartoon Cartoon marathons. They didn't care about kids going to bed early back then they kept you up.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/06/15 at 4:50 pm

I enjoyed both channels as a kid, but Cartoon Network had the edge because I recall watching that channel more. Whenever my family would get cable in our home, I'd be excited about getting to watch Cartoon Network without having to go my my grandma's house to watch it all the time.

That's why I'm still waiting (in vain, it seems) for nostalgia for Power House-era Cartoon Network to take off like it is for '90s Nickelodeon.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/06/15 at 4:58 pm

I enjoyed both channels as a kid, but Cartoon Network had the edge because I recall watching that channel more. Whenever my family would get cable in our home, I'd be excited about getting to watch Cartoon Network without having to go my my grandma's house to watch it all the time.

That's why I'm still waiting (in vain, it seems) for nostalgia for Power House-era Cartoon Network to take off like it is for '90s Nickelodeon.

You think nostalgia for Cartoon Network's Powerhouse Era (1997-2004) hasn't taken off yet? That's been going on for a long time now lol. Heck there's already been nostalgia for the CN City Era since last year that's been going viral on the internet but you probably don't notice it here though. But I'll always believe that the Powerhouse age was the best.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/06/15 at 7:42 pm

Probably Cartoon Network's golden age.  Although there were a few Nickelodeon shows I remember being especially funny (particularly Rocko's Modern Life and The Angry Beavers), Cartoon Network had shows that were not only more humorous, but also had more original premises.  The only Nicktoons with truly original setups, as opposed to focusing on school life or just having quirky leads, were Rugrats and Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, and while the channel's programs were definitely enjoyable back then, they didn't have that much that truly holds up, at least not for me.  Cartoon Network, on the other hand, was an eclectic channel throughout the late 90s and early 2000s, filled with out-of-the-box setups and extremely memorable characters, including a trio of plushie-shaped super-heroines, a visually extravagant Pink Dog who protects his elderly owners from all sorts of bizarre things, a boy genius with a secret laboratory that looks like a set from Star Wars, a Grim Reaper forced to live with a couple of kids though a lost game (even though this is sort of knocking off Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey), and, perhaps most memorably, an entire universe that literally functions as most kids see the world, executed as a spy parody.  As quirky and unpredictable as shows like Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life were, the programs on Cartoon Network did far more to inspire my imagination, thanks to taking that extra step beyond just the funny characters and gags.

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 09/06/15 at 9:29 pm

I'd like to ask this question. Did any 80s babies watch cartoon network at all in the 90s, or did most of them watch only nickelodeon and cartoon network is only a 90s baby thing?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/15 at 9:49 pm

I think that Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were both great in the 90s and 2000s. They both had great programming and they were keeping it up for their fans and such back then. I know that Cartoon Network is still doing that, but Nickelodeon is just awful obviously.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/06/15 at 9:58 pm

You think nostalgia for Cartoon Network's Powerhouse Era (1997-2004) hasn't taken off yet? That's been going on for a long time now lol. Heck there's already been nostalgia for the CN City Era since last year that's been going viral on the internet but you probably don't notice it here though. But I'll always believe that the Powerhouse age was the best.

I'm not saying it hasn't, it just doesn't seem to be as big as Nickelodeon nostalgia.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/15 at 10:09 pm

I'd like to ask this question. Did any 80s babies watch cartoon network at all in the 90s, or did most of them watch only nickelodeon and cartoon network is only a 90s baby thing?

I think Cartoon Network was starting to get big around the late 90s and early 2000s, when they started to make original programming. But I would think that early 90s babies were the oldest fans of Cartoon Network, aside from their other fans who just watch it for the reruns of the golden age cartoons.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/06/15 at 11:09 pm

Or

I would like to hear your opinions on this? Since I notice a lot of 90's kidd herald 90's Nick as the greatest thing ever while many 00's kids herald CN in the early-mid 00's as the greatest thing ever

It's no contest-- Early '90s era Nickelodeon wins.

https://andimichelle.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/saluteyourshortsuu9.png

https://andimichelle.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/hey-dude.jpg

https://fluffrick.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/duckula.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1c/77/50/1c7750f7c475dfafc58f428cfe723341.jpg

https://samhainsgrim.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/6a01538fc5afb0970b014e8b5166a1970d.png

http://www.scenesc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/welcome_freshman-300x224.jpg

https://whatireadbackthen.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/p1012681.jpg

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/07/15 at 10:05 am

Both were awesome in their own way. As I was able to witness both golden ages, Nickelodeon and CN put out the best work during those eras. They had diversity where everyone and their families watched the cartoons and the sitcoms. Heck, they weren't even watered-down at all. I recall watching Nickelodeon before Spongebob was even on the channel and it was very different from the 2000s. There was something for everyone and they were able to relate to whatever was on. As for CN, it was excellent before Adult Swim premiered. I remember watching Toonami coming on in the afternoon and at midnight; CCF was wonderful as the characters themselves were hosting and I can recall the pre-CCF days as well; the bumpers and the announcer were hilarious; and there were songs from the cartoons that kids can listen to and even sing along. Both eras were truly amazing on their own.

Yeah your right both eras were amazing!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/07/15 at 10:08 am

Can I cheat and say both? ;D ;D ;D  But seriously, I caught Nick when the Kalsey Cuspco era begun and when Cartoon Network was at the prime of it's life. I was still pretty damn young when Nick was in it's golden period. So, I went back and watched the old Nick stuff online and I was like "WOW :o  Nick was really great! I wish I had been a little bit older to watch it"  They had diverse programming sitcoms, game shows, original nicktoons, even their own news show(Linda Ellerbee).Cartoon Network on the other hand before Adult Swim EVEN premiered! They were putting out a KICK ASS product, Cartoon Cartoons on Fridays and even on prime time, Toonami block on the weekdays, Hannah Barbera and Looney Tunes reruns on the weekends and on weekdays after Toonami ended. IT WAS AWESOME!!! Then Adult Swim came on the scene and that changed everything! It was clear that in the new millennium Cartoon Network was now the top dog, they were the cool kids channel. It definitely felt like the most mature kids network out there. Nick still had their fans from the previous years, but CN was considered by my peers as cutting edge, fresh, and badass.
It was like the SNES vs Genesis battles. ;D

I actually found this schedule online the other day of the Nickelodeon schedule from September 2003, the absolute peak of my childhood! It brings back so much nostalgia and it epitomizes the Klasky Csupo Era to a tea!

Sept. 2-28:

Weekdays
6:00AM Cable in the Classroom (Nick News, Doug and Inside TV Land)
6:30AM The Wild Thornberrys
7:00AM Hey Arnold!
7:30AM Rocket Power
8:00AM Rugrats
8:30AM SpongeBob SquarePants
9:00AM Max & Ruby
9:30AM Rubbadubbers
10:00AM Dora the Explorer
10:30AM Blue's Clues
11:00AM Dora the Explorer
11:30AM Tweenies
12:00PM Oswald
12:30PM Little Bill
1:00PM Maggie and the Ferocious Beast
1:30PM Bob the Builder
2:00PM Tiny Toon Adventures
2:30PM The Wild Thornberrys
3:00PM Rugrats
3:30PM CatDog
4:00PM Hey Arnold!
4:30PM Rocket Power
5:00PM U-Pick Nicktoons
5:30PM SpongeBob SquarePants
6:00PM U-Pick Nicktoons
6:30PM Hey Arnold!
7:00PM Rugrats
7:30PM SpongeBob SquarePants
8:00PM The Fairly OddParents
8:30PM The Amanda Show (Mon-Thurs); My Life as a Teenage Robot (Fri)
9:00PM NICK@NITE (Mon-Thurs); The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (Fri)
9:30PM NICK@NITE cont. (Mon-Thurs); ChalkZone (Fri)

Weekends:
6:00AM Tiny Toon Adventures
6:30AM Tiny Toon Adventures
7:00AM CatDog
7:30AM CatDog
8:30AM Rugrats (Sat); ChalkZone (Sun)
9:00AM SpongeBob SquarePants
9:30AM SpongeBob SquarePants
10:00AM The Fairly OddParents
10:30AM The Fairly OddParents
11:00AM The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
11:30AM The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
12:00PM My Life as a Teenage Robot (Sat); Hey Arnold! (Sun)
12:30PM ChalkZone (Sat); Hey Arnold! (Sun)
1:00PM Hey Arnold! (Sat); The Wild Thornberrys (Sun)
1:30PM Hey Arnold! (Sat); The Wild Thornberrys (Sun)
2:00PM Rugrats (Sat); CatDog (Sun)
2:30PM Rugrats (Sat); Aaahh!!! Real Monsters (Sun)
3:00PM Rocket Power (Sat); The Angry Beavers (Sun)
3:30PM Rocket Power (Sat); Rocko's Modern Life (Sun)
4:00PM The Fairly OddParents (Sat); Rocket Power (Sun)
4:30PM The Fairly OddParents (Sat); Rocket Power (Sun)
5:00PM SpongeBob SquarePants (Sat); The Fairly OddParents (Sun)
5:30PM SpongeBob SquarePants (Sat); The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (Sun)
6:00PM As Told by Ginger (Sat); Kenan & Kel (Sun)
6:30PM ChalkZone (Sat); As Told by Ginger (Sun)
7:00PM The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (Sat); My Life as a Teenage Robot (Sun)
7:30PM The Fairly OddParents (Sat); Romeo! (Sun)
8:00PM All That (Sat); The Brothers Garcia (Sun)
8:30PM Romeo! (Sat); Nick News (Sun) *SABRINA, THE TEENAGE WITCH (Sun, effect. 9/28)
9:00PM The Amanda Show (Sat); NICK@NITE (Sun)
9:30PM Cousin Skeeter (Sat); NICK@NITE cont. (Sun)

Read more: Nickelodeon Sept. 2003 Schedule - Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=79759#ixzz3l47si4WX

Here is the original link to the forum post:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=79759

What do you guys think?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/07/15 at 10:10 am

It's no contest-- Early '90s era Nickelodeon wins.

https://andimichelle.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/saluteyourshortsuu9.png

https://andimichelle.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/hey-dude.jpg

https://fluffrick.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/duckula.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1c/77/50/1c7750f7c475dfafc58f428cfe723341.jpg

https://samhainsgrim.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/6a01538fc5afb0970b014e8b5166a1970d.png

http://www.scenesc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/welcome_freshman-300x224.jpg

https://whatireadbackthen.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/p1012681.jpg

You got a point. As much as I loved Nick in the early 00's, Nick in the early 90's literally was the best! The perfect balance of great Nicktoons and awesome NickComs

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/07/15 at 11:23 am

Probably the youngest 80s babies! But, yes Cartoon Network is mainly a 90s baby thing!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 12:43 pm

Probably the youngest 80s babies! But, yes Cartoon Network is mainly a 90s baby thing!

Or unless some early-mid 80s babies had Cartoon Network at the time, and they watched their reruns of classic cartoons in 1992-1996.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/07/15 at 12:50 pm

Yes, many of us did. In my group of friends (most of whom were born from 1986-88) Cartoon Network was very popular in the late '90s, particularly Toonami stuff like Dragon Ball Z and Gundam Wing, which were huge during my junior high years. I even know some older kids born in 1984 and '85 that watched CN around 2000 because of the popularity of anime and Toonami at that time.

It wasn't just Toonami though, as I really liked alot of the early "Cartoon Cartoons" like Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo. I can't really speak to CN before the late '90s (as we didn't get it on our cable until 1997), but my perception at the time was that by 1998-99 Nickelodeon was losing some it's luster among kids my age as CN and Kids WB exploded in popularity, largely due to DBZ and Pokemon respectively.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/15 at 2:37 pm

Or

definitely Golden Age of Nickelodeon.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/15 at 2:39 pm

I watched a lot of Nickelodeon.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/07/15 at 3:42 pm

I actually found this schedule online the other day of the Nickelodeon schedule from September 2003, the absolute peak of my childhood! It brings back so much nostalgia and it epitomizes the Klasky Csupo Era to a tea!

Sept. 2-28:

Weekdays

Weekends:
5:30PM SpongeBob SquarePants (Sat); The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (Sun)
7:00PM The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (Sat); My Life as a Teenage Robot (Sun)
8:30PM Romeo! (Sat); Nick News (Sun) *SABRINA, THE TEENAGE WITCH (Sun, effect. 9/28)

Read more: Nickelodeon Sept. 2003 Schedule - Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=79759#ixzz3l47si4WX

What do you guys think?

Thanks for posting this! I've always liked to look at old TV schedules and see how they've changed over the years. My first reaction would be that I'm glad to see that some of my favorite kids shows were still airing in 2003 (like Tiny Toons, Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, etc.). I also like the fact that there was still a good bit of variety on Nick back in '03, since one of my biggest complaints against the network these days is that they repeat the same shows (particularly Spongebob Squarepants) way too often.

Just for the sake of comparison, I decided to get out one of my old TV Guides, and go ten years further back to see how the Nickelodeon of my era stacks up.

Weekend schedule for Nickelodeon (Saturday, February 27, 1993)

6:00 AM - Kids' Court
6:30 AM - Littl' Bits
7:00 AM - Eureeka's Castle
7:30 AM - Lassie
8:00 AM - Doug
8:30 AM - Rugrats
9:00 AM - Muppet Babies
9:30 AM - Muppet Babies
10:00 AM - Heathcliff
10:30 AM - Yogi Bear
11:00 AM - You Can't Do That on Television
11:30 AM - You Can't Do That on Television
12:00 PM - Dennis the Menace
12:30 PM - Dennis the Menace
1:00 PM - Nick News
1:30 PM - Beyond Belief
2:00 PM - Peter of Placid Forest (Movie)
3:30 PM - Rapunzel
4:00 PM - You Can't Do That on Television
4:30 PM - Get the Picture
5:00 PM - Welcome Freshmen
5:30 PM - Salute Your Shorts
6:00 PM - Family Double Dare
6:30 PM - GUTS
7:00 PM - Doug
7:30 PM - Rugrats
8:00 PM - Clarissa Explains it All
8:30 PM - Roundhouse
9:00 PM - Ren and Stimpy
9:30 PM - Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Weekday schedule for Nickelodeon (Monday, March 1, 1993):

6:00 AM - Mr. Wizard's World
6:30 AM - Danger Mouse
7:00 AM - Lassie
7:30 AM - Yogi Bear
8:00 AM - Looney Tunes
8:30 AM - Heathcliff
9:30 AM - David the Gnome
10:00 AM - Little Koala
10:30 AM - Fred Penner's Place
11:00 AM - Eureeka's Castle
12:00 PM - Elephant Show
12:30 PM - Nightingale
1:00 PM - Noozels
1:30 PM - Littl' Bits
2:00 PM - Muppet Babies
2:30 PM - Dennis the Menace
3:00 PM - Flipper
3:30 PM - Looney Tunes
4:00 PM - Underdog
4:30 PM - Yogi Bear
5:00 PM - Nick Arcade
5:30 PM - Hey Dude
6:00 PM - What Would You Do?
6:30 PM - Wild & Crazy Kids
7:00 PM - Looney Tunes
7:30 PM - Rocky & Bullwinkle
8:00 PM - Get Smart
8:30 PM - Superman

Written By: #Infinity on 09/07/15 at 4:04 pm

Just for the sake of comparison, I decided to get out one of my old TV Guides, and go ten years further back to see how the Nickelodeon of my era stacks up.

Wow!  I had no idea that the classic Nicktoons were on television so scarcely even a year and a half after their premiere. :o

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/07/15 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for posting this! I've always liked to look at old TV schedules and see how they've changed over the years. My first reaction would be that I'm glad to see that some of my favorite kids shows were still airing in 2003 (like Tiny Toons, Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, etc.). I also like the fact that there was still a good bit of variety on Nick back in '03, since one of my biggest complaints against the network these days is that they repeat the same shows (particularly Spongebob Squarepants) way too often.

Wow that was very interesting thanks! This really begs the question, which version was more a '90's' Nick? The 93 schedule you provided or the 03' schedule I provided? Because Infinity just mentioned and I agree that its weird to realize that well into the Nicktoon era, there were very few showings of Nicktoons. Plus if you talk to many hardcore Nick fans they will mention that shows like Doug, Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Ahh Real Monsters, Hey Arnold & CatDog were the it toons. They will also mention a few live action shows like All That & Kenan and Kel, both which were airing well into the early 00's through reruns or in the case with All That new episodes as well. So when did it really feel like the true 90's Nick that many 90's kids fathom on about? Because in many ways it seems like the 2003 schedule example seems more 90's than the 1993 schedule

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 09/07/15 at 5:11 pm

Yes, many of us did. In my group of friends (most of whom were born from 1986-88) Cartoon Network was very popular in the late '90s, particularly Toonami stuff like Dragon Ball Z and Gundam Wing, which were huge during my junior high years. I even know some older kids born in 1984 and '85 that watched CN around 2000 because of the popularity of anime and Toonami at that time.

It wasn't just Toonami though, as I really liked alot of the early "Cartoon Cartoons" like Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo. I can't really speak to CN before the late '90s (as we didn't get it on our cable until 1997), but my perception at the time was that by 1998-99 Nickelodeon was losing some it's luster among kids my age as CN and Kids WB exploded in popularity, largely due to DBZ and Pokemon respectively.
I never knew that. Whenever I hear 80s babies speak of cartoons they watched in the 90s I always see them mention nickelodeon and never cartoon network. As for myself, I never watched nickelodeon much back in the 90s. For me the cartoons I watched were mostly from cartoon network, fox kids, PBS, and to a lesser extent kids wb, although I did watch some Disney cartoons back in the mid 90s and did watch nickelodeon sometimes, but it wasn't until 2001 where I started watching nick regularly.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/07/15 at 6:39 pm

Since somebody decided to upload some classic Nickelodeon schedules, then how about some 2002 Cartoon Network schedules!!! Man I still miss a lot of these epic lineups! Any thoughts on these?

Friday, March 15th, 2002

6:00am Thundercats
6:30am Zoids
7:00am Bugs & Daffy
7:30am Powerpuff Girls
8:00am Ed, Edd n Eddy
8:30am Mike, Lu & Og
9:00am Alvin & The Chipmunks
9:30am Tom & Jerry Kids
10:00am Flintstones
10:30am Flintstone Kids
11:00am Smurfs
11:30am Smurfs
12:00pm A Pup Named Scooby-Doo
12:30pm Scooby & Scrappy
1:00pm Bugs & Daffy
2:00pm Tom & Jerry
3:00pm Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?
3:30pm Johnny Bravo
4:00pm Ed, Edd n Eddy
4:30pm Zoids
5:00pm Tenchi in Tokyo
5:30pm Dragon Ball
6:00pm Dragon Ball Z
6:30pm Batman Beyond
7:00pm Samurai Jack
7:30pm Dexter's Laboratory
8:00pm Powerpuff Girls
8:30pm Grim & Evil
9:00pm Time Squad
9:30pm Ed, Edd n Eddy
10:00pm Courage the Cowardly Dog
10:30pm Johnny Bravo
11:00pm Sheep in the Big City
11:30pm I Am Weasel
12:00am Powerpuff Girls
12:30am Grim & Evil
1:00am Time Squad
1:30am Ed, Edd n Eddy
2:00am Courage the Cowardly Dog
2:30am Johnny Bravo
3:00am Sheep in the Big City
3:30am Powerpuff Girls
4:00am Cow and Chicken
4:30am I Am Weasel
5:00am Cartoon Cartoon Show
5:30am Dexter's Laboratory

Saturday, March 30th, 2002

6:00am Magilla Gorilla
6:30am Jonny Quest
7:00am Quick Draw McGraw
7:30am Porky Pig
8:00am Looney Tunes
12:00pm Samurai Jack
12:30pm Justice League
1:00pm Dragon Ball Z
1:30pm Dragon Ball Z
2:00pm Dragon Ball Z
2:30pm Dragon Ball Z
3:00pm Dexter's Laboratory
3:30pm Dexter's Laboratory
4:00pm Dexter's Laboratory
4:30pm Dexter's Laboratory
5:00pm Dexter's Laboratory
5:30pm Dexter's Laboratory
6:00pm Dexter's Laboratory
6:30pm Dexter's Laboratory
7:00pm Cartoon Theater: Land Before Time V: Mysterious Island
9:00pm Powerpuff Girls
9:30pm Samurai Jack
10:00pm Justice League
10:30pm Batman Beyond
11:00pm Yuyu Hakusho
11:30pm Cowboy Bebop
12:00am Pilot Candidate
12:30am Gundam 0083
1:00am Outlaw Star
1:30am Tenchi Muyo
2:00am Superman: The Animated Series
2:30am Batman: The Animated Series
3:00am Jonny Quest
3:30am Space Ghost / Dino Boy
4:00am Herculoids
4:30am Birdman / Galaxy Trio
5:00am Small World

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 6:43 pm

Well since somebody decided to upload some classic Nickelodeon schedules, then how about some 2002 Cartoon Network schedules bruh!? Any thoughts on these?

Saturday, March 30th, 2002

6:00am Magilla Gorilla
6:30am Jonny Quest
7:00am Quick Draw McGraw
7:30am Porky Pig
8:00am Looney Tunes
12:00pm Samurai Jack
12:30pm Justice League
1:00pm Dragon Ball Z
1:30pm Dragon Ball Z
2:00pm Dragon Ball Z
2:30pm Dragon Ball Z
3:00pm Dexter's Laboratory
3:30pm Dexter's Laboratory
4:00pm Dexter's Laboratory
4:30pm Dexter's Laboratory
5:30pm Dexter's Laboratory
6:00pm Dexter's Laboratory
6:30pm Dexter's Laboratory

7:00pm Cartoon Theater: Land Before Time V: Mysterious Island
9:00pm Powerpuff Girls
9:30pm Samurai Jack
10:00pm Justice League
10:30pm Batman Beyond
11:00pm Yuyu Hakusho
11:30pm Cowboy Bebop
12:00am Pilot Candidate
12:30am Gundam 0083
1:00am Outlaw Star
1:30am Tenchi Muyo
2:00am Superman: The Animated Series
2:30am Batman: The Animated Series
3:00am Jonny Quest
3:30am Space Ghost / Dino Boy
4:00am Herculoids
4:30am Birdman / Galaxy Trio
5:00am Small World

4 consecutive airings of Dragon Ball Z with 8 consecutive airings of Dexter's Lab. Wow, I'm surprised they did that long before 2007. If that's the case, then why was everyone upset over Cartoon Network airing the same stuff six times in a row since the late 2000s?

Written By: mqg96 on 09/07/15 at 6:45 pm

4 consecutive airings of Dragon Ball Z with 8 consecutive airings of Dexter's Lab. Wow, I'm surprised they did that long before 2007. If that's the case, then why was everyone upset over Cartoon Network airing the same stuff six times in a row since the late 2000s?

It was just a marathon for one week probably, and back then marathons were done on special occasions for a purpose, and if you look at the regular schedules it wasn't like that regularly. Since that's on a weekend I guarantee you it wasn't exactly like that every Saturday they probably switched it up with a different Cartoon Cartoon for the next Saturday and on. BTW those Dragon Ball Z reruns was probably the Toonami Super Saturday block. Read closely and you'll see that in the morning they aired 4 hours of Looney Tunes shorts too, from 8am-12pm before Samurai Jack came on. Technically longer than DBZ and Dexter's Laboratory separately.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/07/15 at 6:57 pm

I think I need to post a Sunday schedule from 2002 Cartoon Network as well, so everyone will be aware of the other shows that were still around as well. Note: one of the only days of the week Adult Swim is on from 10pm-12am

Sunday, March 31st, 2002

6:00am Looney Tunes
10:00am Cartoon Theater: Land Before Time V: Mysterious Island
12:00pm New Scooby-Doo Movies
1:00pm Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?
1:30pm A Pup Named Scooby-Doo
2:00pm Cartoon Cartoon Top 5
3:00pm Johnny Bravo
3:30pm Cow and Chicken
4:00pm Ed, Edd n Eddy
4:30pm Powerpuff Girls
5:30pm Courage the Cowardly Dog
6:00pm Time Squad
6:30pm Grim & Evil
7:00pm Justice League
7:30pm Batman: The Animated Series
8:00pm Toonheads
8:30pm The Tex Avery Show
9:00pm The Chuck Jones Show
9:30pm Sheep in the Big City
10:00pm Home Movies
10:30pm Baby Blues
11:00pm Lewis Lectures
11:15pm SeaLab 2021
11:30pm Space Ghost: Coast to Coast
12:00am Rocky & Bullwinkle
12:30am The Popeye Show
1:00am Ruff & Reddy
1:30am Huckleberry Hound
2:00am Yogi Bear
2:30am Quick Draw McGraw
3:00am Magilla Gorilla
3:30am Peter Potamus
4:00am Atom Ant
4:30am Secret Squirrel
5:00am Wacky Races
5:30am The Perils of Penelope Pitstop

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 7:04 pm

I'll might do the same with posting Cartoon Network schedules from the week of May 16, 2005.

New Eps=BOLD

Monday, May 16, 2005

6:00am Transformers Energon

6:30am Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003)

7:00am Codename: Kids Next Door

7:30am Ed, Edd n’ Eddy

8:00am What’s New Scooby Doo?

8:30am A Pup Named Scooby Doo

9:00am Krypto the Superdog

9:30am Baby Looney Tunes

10:00am MOVIE: Scooby Doo and the Legend of the Vampire

10:30am continued…

11:00am continued…

11:30am What’s New Scooby Doo?

12:00pm Tom and Jerry

12:30pm continued…

1:00pm Baby Looney Tunes

1:30pm Baby Looney Tunes

2:00pm Krypto the Superdog

2:30pm Pet Alien

3:00pm Ed, Edd n’ Eddy

3:30pm The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

4:00pm Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends

4:30pm Krypto the Superdog

5:00pm Winx Club

5:30pm Totally Spies

6:00pm Teen Titans

6:30pm Static Shock

7:00pm Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends

7:30pm Ed, Edd n’ Eddy

8:00pm Ozzy & Drix

8:30pm Mucha Lucha

9:00pm Codename: Kids Next Door

9:30pm Yu-Gi-Oh!

10:00pm Teen Titans

10:30pm Dragon Ball GT

11:00pm – 6:00am Adult Swim Programming

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 7:12 pm

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

10:00am MOVIE: Scooby Doo and the Monster of Mexico

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 7:13 pm

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

10:00am MOVIE: Scooby Doo and the Witches Ghost

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 7:15 pm

Thursday, May 19, 2005

10:00am MOVIE: Scooby Doo on Zombie Island

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 7:17 pm

Friday, May 20, 2005

10:00am MOVIE: Scooby Doo and the Loch Ness Monster

2:30pm Krypto the Superdog

3:00pm MOVIE: Aloha, Scooby Doo

3:30pm continued…

4:00pm continued…

4:30pm Krypto the Superfog

6:30pm Codname: Kids Next Door

7:30pm Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi

8:00pm MOVIE: Pokemon 4ever

8:30pm continued…

9:00pm continued…

9:30pm continued…

10:00pm Codname: Kids Next Door

10:30pm Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends

11:00pm Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi

11:30pm The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

12:00am Zatch Ball

12:30am Duck Dodgers

1:00am Gundam SEED

1:30am .hack//Legend O

2:00am Dexter’s Laboratory

2:30am What’s New Scooby Doo?

3:00am Ed, Edd n’ Eddy

3:30am The Powerpuff Girls

4:00am Courage the Cowardly Dog

4:30am Scooby Doo

5:00am 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo

5:30am A Pup Named Scooby Doo

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 7:18 pm

Saturday, May 21, 2005

6:00am D.I.C.E.

6:30am Baby Looney Tunes

7:00am Krypto the Superdog

7:30am Ozzy & Drix

8:00am Static Shock

8:30am Static Shock

9:00am Codename: Kids Next Door

9:30am Codename: Kids Next Door

10:00am Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

10:30am The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

11:00am The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

11:30am Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi

12:00pm Teen Titans

12:30pm What's New Scooby-Doo?

1:00pm Ozzy & Drix

1:30pm Mucha Lucha

2:30pm What's New Scooby-Doo?

3:00pm Ed, Edd 'n Eddy

3:30pm Ed, Edd 'n Eddy

4:00pm Codename: Kids Next Door

4:30pm Atomic Betty

5:00pm MOVIE: Pokémon 4Ever

5:30pm continued…

6:00pm continued…

6:30pm continued…

7:00pm Duel Masters

7:30pm Rave Master

8:00pm Teen Titans

8:30pm The Batman

9:00pm Justice League Unlimited

9:30pm Zatch Bell

10:00pm One Piece

10:30pm One Piece

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 7:20 pm

Sunday, May 22, 2005

6:00am Dexter's Laboratory

6:30am Baby Looney Tunes

7:00am Krypto the Superdog

7:30am Ozzy & Drix

8:00am Static Shock

8:30am Static Shock

9:00am Codename: Kids Next Door

9:30am Codename: Kids Next Door

10:00am Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

10:30am The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

11:00am The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

11:30am Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi

12:00pm Teen Titans

12:30pm What's New Scooby-Doo?

1:00pm Ozzy & Drix

1:30pm Mucha Lucha

2:30pm What's New Scooby-Doo?

3:00pm Ed, Edd 'n Eddy

3:30pm Ed, Edd 'n Eddy

4:00pm Codename: Kids Next Door

4:30pm Zatch Bell

5:00pm MOVIE: Pokémon 4Ever

5:30pm continued…

6:00pm continued…

6:30pm continued…

7:00pm Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

7:30pm Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi

8:00pm Totally Spies

8:30pm Atomic Betty

9:00pm Cartoon Cartoon Top 5

9:30pm continued…

10:30pm Duck Dodgers

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/08/15 at 8:44 am

Wow that was very interesting thanks! This really begs the question, which version was more a '90's' Nick? The 93 schedule you provided or the 03' schedule I provided? Because Infinity just mentioned and I agree that its weird to realize that well into the Nicktoon era, there were very few showings of Nicktoons. Plus if you talk to many hardcore Nick fans they will mention that shows like Doug, Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Ahh Real Monsters, Hey Arnold & CatDog were the it toons. They will also mention a few live action shows like All That & Kenan and Kel, both which were airing well into the early 00's through reruns or in the case with All That new episodes as well. So when did it really feel like the true 90's Nick that many 90's kids fathom on about? Because in many ways it seems like the 2003 schedule example seems more 90's than the 1993 schedule

That's very true. If you look at the schedule, the Nickelodeon of 1993 still had a very heavy presence of '80s shows like Heathcliff, You Cant Do That on Television and Danger Mouse, as well as classic stuff like Flipper and Dennis the Menace. The only times that Nick typically aired Nicktoons or it's own original live action shows were on Saturdays, and Nick-at-Nite started an hour earlier at 8 PM on weekdays. From my memory, I would say that the Nick schedule continued like that up until around 1995 or 1996, by which point the increased number of Nicktoons began to take up considerably more airtime.

Going by that, I would agree that the 2003 Nick schedule actually is a bit closer to what most people would consider quintessential "Nineties Nick" than the 1993 schedule, due in large part to the overabundance of older shows. I guess you could say that both schedules kind of mirror each other in that the '93 lineup still has quite a few '80s holdovers, and the '03 lineup has a considerable number of '90s holdovers.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/08/15 at 1:43 pm

That's very true. If you look at the schedule, the Nickelodeon of 1993 still had a very heavy presence of '80s shows like Heathcliff, You Cant Do That on Television and Danger Mouse, as well as classic stuff like Flipper and Dennis the Menace. The only times that Nick typically aired Nicktoons or it's own original live action shows were on Saturdays, and Nick-at-Nite started an hour earlier at 8 PM on weekdays. From my memory, I would say that the Nick schedule continued like that up until around 1995 or 1996, by which point the increased number of Nicktoons began to take up considerably more airtime.

Going by that, I would agree that the 2003 Nick schedule actually is a bit closer to what most people would consider quintessential "Nineties Nick" than the 1993 schedule, due in large part to the overabundance of older shows. I guess you could say that both schedules kind of mirror each other in that the '93 lineup still has quite a few '80s holdovers, and the '03 lineup has a considerable number of '90s holdovers.

Yeah this is very true! I think we could both agree though that modern Nick's lineup is a bit sparse (thats putting it lightly). Here is Nick's lineup as of this current school week in comparision to the lineups we grew up with:

6am: George Lopez
6:30: George Lopez
7am: Spongebob
7:30: Alvinn and the Chipmunks (a new reboot)
8am through 1:30pm: Nick Jr.
2pm: Alvinn and the Chipmunks
2:30: Spongebob
3pm: Spongebob
3:30: Spongebob
4pm: Spongebob
4:30: Spongebob
5pm: Alvinn and the Chipmunks
5:30: Alvinn and the Chipmunks
6pm: Henry Danger
6:30: Henry Danger
7pm: The Thundermans
7:30: The Thundermans
8pm: iCarly
8:30:iCarly

Now here is the schedule from September 2003 again using the same time slots:

Weekdays

So in other words with the modern schedule, only 2 Nicktoons are shown throughout the entire weekdays and 3 generic tween shows.

While in the September 2003 schedule there were 7-9 Nicktoons shown on a weekday and typically only 1 tween show on the weekdays.

It pains me so much because its not like I actually hate these shows, but I feel that this god awful scheduling is dumbing down our kids and not exposing them to various other kind of shows, both old and new.

I also tend to watch these channels a lot because I have a cousins, nephews and nieces born in the late 00's/early 10's, and boy I feel very bad for them! My little cousin notably who I babysit a lot is about 7 1/2 years old right now and going into 2nd grade. So basically the same age I was back in September of 2003. And oh boy the differences in what channels do to catter to kids are now are MUCH different when I was a kid! I truly feel bad for him and the rest of my younger family members  :\'( because they are getting fed crap!  >:(

Sorry about that long rant I just needed to vent...

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/08/15 at 1:56 pm

I don't really care, both were good.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 2:26 pm

Yeah this is very true! I think we could both agree though that modern Nick's lineup is a bit sparse (thats putting it lightly). Here is Nick's lineup as of this current school week in comparision to the lineups we grew up with:

6am: George Lopez
6:30: George Lopez
7am: Spongebob
7:30: Alvinn and the Chipmunks (a new reboot)
8am through 1:30pm: Nick Jr.
2pm: Alvinn and the Chipmunks
2:30: Spongebob
3pm: Spongebob
3:30: Spongebob
4pm: Spongebob
4:30: Spongebob
5pm: Alvinn and the Chipmunks
5:30: Alvinn and the Chipmunks
6pm: Henry Danger
6:30: Henry Danger
7pm: The Thundermans
7:30: The Thundermans
8pm: iCarly
8:30:iCarly

Now here is the schedule from September 2003 again using the same time slots:

Weekdays

So in other words with the modern schedule, only 2 Nicktoons are shown throughout the entire weekdays and 3 generic tween shows.

While in the September 2003 schedule there were 7-9 Nicktoons shown on a weekday and typically only 1 tween show on the weekdays.

It pains me so much because its not like I actually hate these shows, but I feel that this god awful scheduling is dumbing down our kids and not exposing them to various other kind of shows, both old and new.

I also tend to watch these channels a lot because I have a cousins, nephews and nieces born in the late 00's/early 10's, and boy I feel very bad for them! My little cousin notably who I babysit a lot is about 7 1/2 years old right now and going into 2nd grade. So basically the same age I was back in September of 2003. And oh boy the differences in what channels do to cater to kids are now are MUCH different when I was a kid! I truly feel bad for him and the rest of my younger family members  :\'( because they are getting fed crap!  >:(

Sorry about that long rant I just needed to vent...

As much as I loved Nickelodeon from the early/mid/late 2000s before they changed their logo, they were the sheesh. Especially from that schedule. Also, I feel the same thing with kids born from the late '00s/early '10s with only getting the same crap over and over again. I'm glad I'm not one of them, because if I looked at Nickelodeon ten years from now and I was like one of those 2010s kids who would reminisce over my childhood, I would just be ashamed of it. Compare the current crap to the 90s and 2000s, and those kids would've been saying that they're 2000s kids instead of 2010s kids.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/08/15 at 6:49 pm

As much as I loved Nickelodeon from the early/mid/late 2000s before they changed their logo, they were the sheesh. Especially from that schedule. Also, I feel the same thing with kids born from the late '00s/early '10s with only getting the same crap over and over again. I'm glad I'm not one of them, because if I looked at Nickelodeon ten years from now and I was like one of those 2010s kids who would reminisce over my childhood, I would just be ashamed of it. Compare the current crap to the 90s and 2000s, and those kids would've been saying that they're 2000s kids instead of 2010s kids.

I agree dude! 90's kids like to complain about mid-late 90's babies trying to pass as 90's kids but in all honesty I think it's going to be much worse within the next 5-10 years as mid-late 00's babies might try to pass as 00's kids. Heck I'm already seeing it now, kids born in 2002 and 2003 trying to claim they were true 2000's kids lol

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 8:02 pm

I agree dude! 90's kids like to complain about mid-late 90's babies trying to pass as 90's kids but in all honesty I think it's going to be much worse within the next 5-10 years as mid-late 00's babies might try to pass as 00's kids. Heck I'm already seeing it now, kids born in 2002 and 2003 trying to claim they were true 2000's kids lol

There's kids born in 2002 and 2003 that are trying to claim that they were the true 2000s kids? That's just dull. Somebody enlighten these people that they have to be at least 10 years old at the end of the 2000s in order to become true 2000s kids. Same with mid-late 90s babies claiming that they're 90s kids, even though they have little to no memories of the 90s.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/08/15 at 8:24 pm

@ocarinafan96
@Eazy-EMAN1995

Take a look at these commercials and bumpers for Cartoon Network (Primetime) recorded in Fall 2001, I love how the voice announcers are in these bumpers.
uGyS1HGyJBY

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 8:26 pm

If people are actually posting commercials about their favorite childhood networks back then, so should I.

xNFMzTM37NY

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/08/15 at 8:36 pm

I grew up on Nick and loved it, but I was always so jealous of people who had Cartoon Network. It didn't get added to our cable package until I was almost too old for it, but I do remember Dexter's Lab, Power Puff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Ed Ed & Eddy, Grim & Evil (and later the Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy) being the main shows at that time (early '00s)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 8:42 pm

I grew up on Nick and loved it, but I was always so jealous of people who had Cartoon Network. It didn't get added to our cable package until I was almost too old for it, but I do remember Dexter's Lab, Power Puff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Ed Ed & Eddy, Grim & Evil (and later the Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy) being the main shows at that time (early '00s)

When did Cartoon Network got added to your cable package?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/08/15 at 11:36 pm

Around 2001

Written By: Howard on 09/09/15 at 2:25 pm

The one show that stuck in my mind with Nickelodeon was You Can't Do That On Television.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/10/15 at 12:31 pm

@ocarinafan96
@Eazy-EMAN1995

Take a look at these commercials and bumpers for Cartoon Network (Primetime) recorded in Fall 2001, I love how the voice announcers are in these bumpers.
uGyS1HGyJBY

Yeah I remember those, bring back great memories!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/10/15 at 12:33 pm

I saw this wiki post I was wondering if you guys think its are pretty accurate?

http://nickelodeon.wikia.com/wiki/2004

Written By: mqg96 on 09/10/15 at 12:56 pm

I saw this wiki post I was wondering if you guys think its are pretty accurate?

http://nickelodeon.wikia.com/wiki/2004

That's a lot of changes, I wonder if Cartoon Network has one too.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/10/15 at 1:23 pm

Here's some more Cartoon Network schedules but this time from May to early June 2003 which was still an overall great laid back time. This is around the time Summer had just begun. Lineups aren't that distant from 2002 but it's different for sure.

MON-THURS
6:00 a.m. Max Steel
6:30 a.m. Transformers Armada
7:00 a.m. Hamtaro
7:30 a.m. Pecola
8:00 a.m. Baby Looney Tunes
8:30 a.m. Sitting Ducks
9:00 a.m. Pokemon
9:30 a.m. The Powerpuff Girls
10:00 a.m.Ed, Edd n Eddy
10:30 a.m.Dexter's Laboratory
11:00 a.m.Courage The Cowardly Dog
11:30 a.m.Sylvester And Tweety Mysteries
12:00 p.m.Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?
12:30 p.m.Pup Named Scooby-Doo
1:00 p.m.Tom & Jerry
2:00 p.m.Hamtaro
2:30 p.m.Sitting Ducks
3:00 p.m.Sylvester And Tweety Mysteries
3:30 p.m.The Powerpuff Girls
4:00 p.m.Dexter's Laboratory
4:30 p.m.Ed, Edd n Eddy
5:00 p.m.G Gundam
5:30 p.m.Dragon Ball Z
6:00 p.m.Yuyu Hakusho
6:30 p.m.Rurouni Kenshin
7:00 p.m.The Powerpuff Girls
7:30 p.m.Dexter's Laboratory
8:00 p.m.Ed, Edd n Eddy
8:30 p.m.Courage The Cowardly Dog
9:00 p.m.Pokemon
9:30 p.m.Jackie Chan
10:00 p.m.Justice League
10:30 p.m.X-Men: Evolution
11:00 p.m.Futurama
11:30 p.m.Family Guy
12:00 a.m.Lupin the 3rd
12:30 a.m.Inuyasha
1:00 a.m. Trigun
1:30 a.m. Cowboy Bebop
2:00 a.m. The Powerpuff Girls
2:30 a.m. Ed, Edd n Eddy
3:00 a.m. Dexter's Laboratory
3:30 a.m. Courage The Cowardly Dog
4:00 a.m. Johnny Bravo
4:30 a.m. Cow And Chicken
5:00 a.m. Time Squad
5:30 a.m. Captain Planet

FRIDAYS (6:00 a.m.-6:30 p.m. same as Mon-Thur)
7:00 p.m.Samurai Jack
7:30 p.m.Justice League
8:00 p.m.What's New Scooby-Doo
8:30 p.m.Johnny Bravo
9:00 p.m.The Powerpuff Girls
9:30 p.m.Ed, Edd n Eddy
10:00 p.m.Codename: Kids Next Door
10:30 p.m.Grim & Evil
11:00 p.m.Dexter's Laboratory
11:30 p.m.Courage The Cowardly Dog
12:00 a.m.Johnny Bravo
12:30 a.m.Time Squad
1:00 a.m.Cartoon Cartoon Top 5
2:00 a.m.Dexter's Laboratory
2:30 a.m.What's new Scooby Doo
3:00 a.m.Ed, Edd n Eddy
3:30 a.m.The Powerpuff Girls
4:00 a.m.Courage The Cowardly Dog
4:30 a.m.Scooby-Doo, Where Are You
5:00 a.m.13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo
5:30 a.m.A Pup Named Scooby-Doo

SATURDAYS
6:00 a.m.Boomerang
7:00 a.m. Dexter's Laboratory
7:30 a.m. Codename: Kids Next Door
8:00 a.m. Courage The Cowardly Dog
8:30 a.m. The Powerpuff Girls
9:00 a.m. Looney Tunes
10:00 a.m.Looney Tunes
11:00 a.m.Tom & Jerry
12:00 p.m.He-Man
12:30 p.m.Transformers Armada
1:00 p.m.Hamtaro
1:30 p.m.Sitting Ducks
2:00 p.m.Sylvester And Tweety Mysteries
2:30 p.m.Sylvester And Tweety Mysteries
3:00 p.m.Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?
3:30 p.m.Scooby & Scrappy-Doo
4:00 p.m.A Pup Named Scooby-Doo
4:30 p.m.What's New Scooby-Doo
5:00 p.m.Tom & Jerry
6:00 p.m.Ed, Edd n Eddy
6:30 p.m.Dexter's Laboratory
7:00 p.m.Pokemon
7:30 p.m.He-Man
8:00 p.m.Samurai Jack
8:30 p.m.Jackie Chan Adventures
9:00 p.m.X-Men: Evolution
9:30 p.m.Yu-Gi-Oh
10:00 p.m.Yuyu Hakusho
10:30 p.m.G Gundam
11:00 p.m.Transformers Armada
11:30 p.m.Samurai Jack
12:00 a.m..Hack//SIGN
12:30 a.m.GI Joe
1:00 a.m. Batman: The Animated Series
1:30 a.m. Superman: The Animated Series
2:00 a.m. Popeye Show
2:30 a.m. Chuck Jones Show
3:00 a.m. ToonHeads
3:30 a.m. ToonHeads
4:00 a.m. Bugs & Daffy
5:00 a.m. Tom & Jerry

SUNDAYS
6:00 a.m.Boomerang
7:00 a.m. Dexter's Laboratory
7:30 a.m. Codename: Kids Next Door
8:00 a.m. Courage The Cowardly Dog
8:30 a.m. The Powerpuff Girls
9:00 a.m. Grim & Evil
9:30 a.m. Ed, Edd n Eddy
10:00 a.m.Cartoon Theater
12:00 p.m.What's New Scooby-Doo?
12:30 p.m.Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?
1:00 p.m.New Scooby-Doo Movies
2:00 p.m.Sylvester And Tweety Mysteries
2:30 p.m.Sylvester And Tweety Mysteries
3:00 p.m.Tom & Jerry
4:00 p.m.Codename: Kids Next Door
4:30 p.m.Whatever Happened To Robot Jones
5:00 p.m.Ed, Edd n Eddy
5:30 p.m.The Powerpuff Girls
6:00 p.m.Hamtaro
6:30 p.m.Sylvester And Tweety Mysteries
7:00 p.m.Chuck Jones Show
7:30 p.m.Popeye Show
8:00 p.m.ToonHeads
8:30 p.m.ToonHeads
9:00 p.m.Cartoon Cartoon Top 5
10:00 p.m.Justice League
10:30 p.m.X-Men: Evolution
11:00 p.m.Home Movies
11:30 p.m.Harvey Birdman
11:45 p.m.Aqua Teen
12:00 a.m.Sealab 2021
12:15 a.m.Space Ghost Coast To Coast
12:30 a.m.Oblongs
1:00 a.m. Trigun
1:30 a.m. Cowboy Bebop
2:00 a.m. The Powerpuff Girls
2:30 a.m. Ed, Edd n Eddy
3:00 a.m. Dexter's Laboratory
3:30 a.m. Courage The Cowardly Dog
4:00 a.m. Johnny Bravo
4:30 a.m. Cow And Chicken
5:00 a.m. Time Squad
5:30 a.m. Captain Planet

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/10/15 at 2:00 pm

This is an awesome discovery. From looking at this schedule, It shows me that Nicktoons were barely played during that time-frame. I think one of the reasons for that is there was only 3 of them and there wasn't many Nicktoons until the late 90s. In addition from what you said, the schedule still had a large 80s presence of shows which could mean that most of the shows were geared towards an older audience and not the children.

Now that we know most of the 90s Nickelodeon schedules were the like the one you provided, this will clearly show that the arrogant 90s kids are in for a rude awakening. The schedules they constantly talk about where 90s were the best for nicktoons weren't even popular until at least 1997/98 as that's when there was 10 Nicktoons by then. From 1991 to most of 1996, there were only 3-5 nicktoons at the time, so how could they say the 90s was the Golden Age of Nickelodeon when most of the shows were actually the live-action programming? I have this feeling that not only are they hypocrites, they are also ignorant as well.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/10/15 at 2:11 pm

Sept. 2-28:

Weekdays

Weekends:

What do you guys think?
This is more of the 90s Nick schedule that the arrogant 90s kids are talking about. Comparing this one to the '93 one, the former is definitely more 90s while the latter is more 80s. In addition, this schedule brings back huge nostalgia to me despite me aging out of the kid audience. 

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/10/15 at 2:20 pm

This is more of the 90s Nick schedule that the arrogant 90s kids are talking about. Comparing this one to the '93 one, the former is definitely more 90s while the latter is more 80s. In addition, this schedule brings back huge nostalgia to me despite me aging out of the kid audience.

Same I was 7 1/2 at the time, so at my absolute peak in my childhood, so this just brings back great memories of starting 2nd grade, watching TRL with my sisters, going outside with neighborhood kids, still watching Pokemon during the tail end of their original popularity and the ever growing popularity of YuGiOh, playing with YuGiOh cards at friends houses, Playing my PS1/2, & of course watching this epic lineup on Nick back in the day!  8)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/10/15 at 3:50 pm

Digging through a few more of my old TV Guides, I was able to find something else you all might find intriguing. This is Cartoon Network's line-up from the Spring of 1998, which is the oldest I've been able to find from CN so far.

Cartoon Network's Schedule for Wednesday, April 1, 1998:

6:00 AM - Dynomutt
6:30 AM - Josie and the Pussycats
7:00 AM - Acme Hour
8:00 AM - Yogi Bear
8:30 AM - Fantastic Max
9:00 AM - Scooby Doo
9:30 AM - Tom & Jerry
10:00 AM - Gumby
10:30 AM - Alvin & the Chipmunks
11:00 AM - Big Bag
11:30 AM - Small World
12:00 PM - The Smurfs
12:30 PM - The Smurfs
1:00 PM - Scooby Doo Movies
2:00 PM - Acme Hour
3:00 PM - The Fantastic Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor
3:30 PM - The Pirates of Dark Water
4:00 PM - Thunder Cats (Toonami)
4:30 PM - Robotech (Toonami)
5:00 PM - Super Adventures (Toonami)
5:30 PM - Real Adventures of Johnny Quest (Toonami)
6:00 PM - Batman: The Animated Series (Toonami)
6:30 PM - Batman: The Animated Series (Toonami)
7:00 PM - The Jetsons
7:30 PM - Scooby Doo
8:00 PM - Dexter's Laboratory
8:30 PM - The Flintstones
9:00 PM - Bugs & Daffy
9:30 PM - Bugs & Daffy
10:00 PM - Tom & Jerry
10:30 PM - Scooby Doo
11:00 PM - Dexter's Laboratory
11:30 PM - Real Adventures of Johnny Quest
12:00 AM - Speed Racer
12:30 AM - The Flintstones
1:00 AM - The Jetsons
1:30 AM - Bugs & Daffy
2:00 AM - Tom & Jerry
2:30 AM - Scooby Doo
3:00 AM - Rocky & Bullwinkle
3:30 AM - Gumby
4:00 AM - Bannana Splits
4:30 AM - Real Adventures of Johnny Quest
5:00 AM - Speed Racer
5:30 AM - Pink Panther

Written By: mqg96 on 09/10/15 at 4:02 pm

Digging through a few more of my old TV Guides, I was able to find something else you all might find intriguing. This is Cartoon Network's line-up from the Spring of 1998, which is the oldest I've been able to find from CN so far.

Still a lot of Hanna-Barbera cartoons on here despite Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, and Cow & Chicken already being around, but those were only 3 Cartoon Cartoons though, once Powerpuff Girls and Ed, Edd n Eddy premiered from November 1998-January 1999 that's when more Cartoon Cartoons started becoming noticeable. I consider Summer 1997-Spring 2004 as the golden age of Cartoon Network's Powerhouse age with 1999-2002 being the absolute peak years of that time. This schedule was definitely still in the earlier Powerhouse years when the era was still pretty young.

UVoNbdwMZ2Y hMxL8kpznQE

DFtWG9pgo3Y devFUNSKEjc

8j1PvpFXfPU LzbSf5IW3LE

nCdywJL-xT0 AZf48jH6V0U

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/10/15 at 8:37 pm

Yeah this is why I loved the powerhouse era because of its huge variety of older cartoons (80's & before at the time) and the contemporary toons at the time like the Kids Wb reruns & Fox Kids reruns and the Cartoon Cartoons  8)

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/10/15 at 10:51 pm

Gumby was on Cartoon Network? It's not even a cartoon! :D

I remember watching Gumby on Nick Jr. a lot when I was a toddler. Interesting that it's not on the 1993 list machine posted.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/15 at 7:11 am

I remember watching Gumby on Nick Jr. a lot when I was a toddler. Interesting that it's not on the 1993 list machine posted.

Gumby was just an animated green figure.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/11/15 at 6:47 pm

Still a lot of Hanna-Barbera cartoons on here despite Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, and Cow & Chicken already being around, but those were only 3 Cartoon Cartoons though, once Powerpuff Girls and Ed, Edd n Eddy premiered from November 1998-January 1999 that's when more Cartoon Cartoons started becoming noticeable. I consider Summer 1997-Spring 2004 as the golden age of Cartoon Network's Powerhouse age with 1999-2002 being the absolute peak years of that time. This schedule was definitely still in the earlier Powerhouse years when the era was still pretty young.

Yeah, I agree that this was the early part of Cartoon Network's "peak", though it was still clearly before Cartoon Cartoon's began to have a bigger presence on the channel. I really want to find some TV listings from CN's early years in 1992-93 to compare, but unfortunately, all of my TV Guide's from the early '90s don't have the channel listed.

You are correct, Gumby did air on Nickelodeon in the '90s. I used to watch it all the time, and then attempt (rather poorly) to make my own Gumby out of Play-Doh. From my recollection, I believe that Gumby aired regularly on Nick around 1994 and 1995.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/11/15 at 7:14 pm

Yeah, I agree that this was the early part of Cartoon Network's "peak", though it was still clearly before Cartoon Cartoon's began to have a bigger presence on the channel. I really want to find some TV listings from CN's early years in 1992-93 to compare, but unfortunately, all of my TV Guide's from the early '90s don't have the channel listed.

Here's a Cartoon Network schedule from November to early December 1999 on a Sunday, and here's a video of it I happened to found that lines some shows up together. Look at all the Kids WB reruns that were airing a long with the Cartoon Cartoons, this is the best I could put up together.

November/December 1999 (Sunday)

6:00am Big Bag
6:30am Small World
7:00am Small World
7:30am Small World
8:00am Boomerang
9:00am Bugs & Daffy
10:00am Cartoon Network's Cartoon Theatre
12:00pm The New Scooby-Doo Movies
1:00pm Beetlejuice
1:30pm The Addams Family
2:00pm Road Rovers
2:30pm SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron
3:00pm Super Friends
4:00pm Hong Kong Phooey
4:30pm Jabberjaw
5:00pm Animaniacs
5:30pm Tiny Toon Adventures
6:00pm Bugs & Daffy
7:00pm Batman: The Animated Series

7:30pm Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
8:00pm The Flintstones
9:00pm ToonHeads
9:30pm Tom and Jerry
10:00pm Johnny Bravo
10:30pm Courage the Cowardly Dog
11:00pm I Am Weasel
11:30pm The Powerpuff Girls
12:00am What a Cartoon!
12:30am Space Ghost Coast to Coast
1:00am Late Night Black & White
1:30am O, Canada
2:00am Droopy
2:30am Popeye the Sailor
3:00am The Yogi Bear Show
3:30am Huckleberry Hound
5:00am The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show
5:30am Dudley Do-Right

XuI-PTtBqcQ

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/11/15 at 7:28 pm

Here's a Cartoon Network schedule from November to early December 1999 on a Sunday, and here's a video of it I happened to found that lines some shows up together. Look at all the Kids WB reruns that were airing a long with the Cartoon Cartoons, this is the best I could put up together.

XuI-PTtBqcQ

Great lineup! This time right here (late 1999/early 2000) was probably when I watched Cartoon Network the most, so I remember that schedule very well. I know I'm a bit biased, but I'd say that this is probably the absolute peak of CN as a channel, with just the right mix of early Cartoon Cartoon's, Hannah-Barbera classics, and action cartoons on Toonami. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Also, thanks for reminding me about SWAT Kats. That was one of my favorite shows growing up, and I had almost totally forgotten about it. I wonder if there's any episodes on YouTube?

Written By: mqg96 on 09/11/15 at 8:03 pm

Great lineup! This time right here (late 1999/early 2000) was probably when I watched Cartoon Network the most, so I remember that schedule very well. I know I'm a bit biased, but I'd say that this is probably the absolute peak of CN as a channel, with just the right mix of early Cartoon Cartoon's, Hannah-Barbera classics, and action cartoons on Toonami. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Also, thanks for reminding me about SWAT Kats. That was one of my favorite shows growing up, and I had almost totally forgotten about it. I wonder if there's any episodes on YouTube?

Personally the absolute peak of Cartoon Network for me was the entire year of 2002 as a whole because I really loved all the variety of Cartoon Cartoons at the time like Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd n Eddy, Time Squad, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Grim & Evil, etc. Reruns of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh came on, and catching the premieres of What Ever Happened to Robot Jones and Codename: KND was awesome. Watching those on Primetime and Cartoon Cartoon Fridays throughout that year was like heaven. Although by 2002 it was mostly Cartoon Cartoons being played making less room for Hanna-Barbera classics although you still had Scooby-Doo shows, Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, and Tom & Jerry but not as many other classics like the earlier Powerhouse years. However still an overall great time though. Cartoon Theater had great movies. Not to mention Toonami had epic lineups at the time with action shows like DBZ, Samurai Jack, He-Man (2002), Justice League, and Batman Beyond. I probably get nostalgic for the Spring, Summer, & Fall 2002 lineups for Cartoon Network, Toon Disney, Nickelodeon, and Kids WB at the time. That's why I pick 2002 as my favorite year. But I'm glad 1999-2000 was the peak of Cartoon Network for you and I know that would've been an awesome time to experience. 8)

My absolute 2nd favorite year of Cartoon Network goes to 2003 no doubt, 2003 Cartoon Network comes close at 2nd, despite Cartoon Cartoon Fridays getting replaced by live-action Fridays later that year, most of 2003 still had Cartoon Cartoon Fridays & Summer Fridays, Primetime was still around, catching the premieres of Teen Titans and Duck Dodgers. When TOM 3 debuted on Toonami while it was still on weekdays, shows like Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and a new season of Dragon Ball Z would come out. Saturday Video Entertain System with Saturday night action cartoons. Still tons of Cartoon Cartoons and new episodes being played regularly and classics like Looney Tunes. First full year Codename: KND was around. More episodes of Samurai Jack & Justice League, etc.

4z00hZCOTeA IyqNoDr0Rdo

EPlDYsh8Q9M TIlNft1mQi8

Lo0_W8FzUA4 wAMOBEtDrkY

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/11/15 at 9:14 pm

Personally the absolute peak of Cartoon Network for me was the entire year of 2002 as a whole because I really loved all the variety of Cartoon Cartoons at the time like Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd n Eddy, Time Squad, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Grim & Evil, etc. Reruns of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh came on, and catching the premieres of What Ever Happened to Robot Jones and Codename: KND was awesome. Watching those on Primetime and Cartoon Cartoon Fridays throughout that year was like heaven. Although by 2002 it was mostly Cartoon Cartoons being played making less room for Hanna-Barbera classics although you still had Scooby-Doo shows, Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, and Tom & Jerry but not as many other classics like the earlier Powerhouse years. However still an overall great time though. Cartoon Theater had great movies. Not to mention Toonami had epic lineups at the time with action shows like DBZ, Samurai Jack, He-Man (2002), Justice League, and Batman Beyond. I probably get nostalgic for the Spring, Summer, & Fall 2002 lineups for Cartoon Network, Toon Disney, Nickelodeon, and Kids WB at the time. That's why I pick 2002 as my favorite year. But I'm glad 1999-2000 was the peak of Cartoon Network for you and I know that would've been an awesome time to experience.

Yeah, I was just one school year too late!! >:( :\'(  I wish I could have experience TOM 1 era toonami and DBZ when the freeza saga first aired and when gundam wing first aired, that would have been SICK!!!!! :D  I didn't even know what CN was. The only kids networks I was only familiar with were Nick, Kids WB,Fox kids, PBS kids and Disney channel before 2000-01!

Written By: mqg96 on 09/15/15 at 10:18 am

Yeah, I was just one school year too late!! >:( :\'(  I wish I could have experience TOM 1 era toonami and DBZ when the freeza saga first aired and when gundam wing first aired, that would have been SICK!!!!! :D  I didn't even know what CN was. The only kids networks I was only familiar with were Nick, Kids WB,Fox kids, PBS kids and Disney channel before 2000-01!

nbS0dObPqz4 yjKTePmJIys

oFkMN2fRCiA gC39v3z-rXs

If this doesn't spark so many golden memories, then I don't know what else does. :o All of these commercials are like yesterday to me! Although for some reason I don't remember watching the Dexter's Lab President's Day marathon I just remember seeing promos for it. I had just turned 7 around the time when all of these aired.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/15/15 at 11:17 am

Yeah, I was just one school year too late!! >:( :\'( I wish I could have experience TOM 1 era toonami and DBZ when the freeza saga first aired and when gundam wing first aired, that would have been SICK!!!!! :D  I didn't even know what CN was. The only kids networks I was only familiar with were Nick, Kids WB,Fox kids, PBS kids and Disney channel before 2000-01!
As someone who was at the age to witness it, it was wonderful. I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember watching the afternoon line and I stayed up all night to watch the midnight run when it first began and it was awesome. Sailor Moon, DBZ, Gundam Wing etc., it couldn't get any better. Man I wish you were able witness it.

Also, here's the logo of the TOM 1 era and the original TOM himself.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Toonami_logo_1999.png

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/toonami/images/1/16/TOM_V1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150217023031

XuI-PTtBqcQ
Thanks for these schedules guys. So much nostalgia from those days. I recall watching most of the cartoons as before the 00s, CN still mostly aired HB and non-CN animations despite the network already having its own shows.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/15/15 at 11:57 am

Wk7jcSg5bNs VVOIaDBxm2E

HI0DHOemUd8 6OrWUWBqYJk

Wz6HGyaFRhs U439rYX7hCI

With 1997 & 2004 being transition years for Cartoon Network into the Powerhouse Era and out of it, the entire years of 1998-2003 for the channel.... just man, all the antics, voice-overs, the afford put into the bumpers & promos, the specials, new shows premiering each year, different lineups, all the great blocks like CCF, Primetime, & Toonami, all the variety of Cartoon Cartoons, classic cartoon reruns, action shows, anime, and Kids WB reruns. It's unbelievable how I wasn't aware of all this when I was a young kid watching Cartoon Network back then but at the same time I just remember how flawless and amazing the time was. Being in Kindergarten, 1st grade, & 2nd grade at the time. If only I was born a couple years earlier I could've experienced the whole era rather than just the 2nd half of it..... it sucks that I was only 8 about to start 3rd grade when this amazing era got halted. Nonetheless the City Era still gave me 2 more great years of programming but honestly I preferred the Powerhouse's variety much better.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/15/15 at 12:26 pm

Wk7jcSg5bNs VVOIaDBxm2E

HI0DHOemUd8 6OrWUWBqYJk

Wz6HGyaFRhs U439rYX7hCI

With 1997 & 2004 being transition years for Cartoon Network into the Powerhouse Era and out of it, the entire years of 1998-2003 for the channel.... just man, all the antics, voice-overs, the afford put into the bumpers & promos, the specials, new shows premiering each year, different lineups, all the great blocks like CCF, Primetime, & Toonami, all the variety of Cartoon Cartoons, classic cartoon reruns, action shows, anime, and Kids WB reruns. It's unbelievable how I wasn't aware of all this when I was a young kid watching Cartoon Network back then but at the same time I just remember how flawless and amazing the time was. Being in Kindergarten, 1st grade, & 2nd grade at the time. If only I was born a couple years earlier I could've experienced the whole era rather than just the 2nd half of it..... it sucks that I was only 8 about to start 3rd grade when this amazing era got halted. Nonetheless the City Era still gave me 2 more great years of programming but honestly I preferred the Powerhouse's variety much better.

Well at least we were in elementary school during that era! Imagine being born in 99', then we would of entered elementary school AFTER the Powerhouse era. I think that would've personally sucked, even though Cartoon Network was still pretty good upto 2006. However it was no way in the same quality and variety of the Powerhouse era. Plus I first watched the Network around 1999 or 2000. So yeah I don't have that much regrets

Written By: mqg96 on 09/15/15 at 1:07 pm

Well at least we were in elementary school during that era! Imagine being born in 99', then we would of entered elementary school AFTER the Powerhouse era. I think that would've personally sucked, even though Cartoon Network was still pretty good upto 2006. However it was no way in the same quality and variety of the Powerhouse era. Plus I first watched the Network around 1999 or 2000. So yeah I don't have that much regrets

Technically speaking 1995 born's were the last to have the majority of the Powerhouse Era in their elementary school years since they had finished 3rd grade when it ended, while 1997 born's were the first to have the majority of the time after the Powerhouse Era in their elementary school years since they had only finished 1st grade when it ended, and as you already stated everybody born after 1998 had no Powerhouse years their entire elementary school years. Not only this is extremely important to your childhood memories of Cartoon Network, but even remembering all the special events that occurred throughout the Powerhouse Era, all the blocks that were around, the lineups, and when all the shows started/ended is key as well depending on your age or when you started elementary school.

Like for example someone born in 1995, even though they'd probably be 9 about to start 4th grade when the Powerhouse Era ended, their whole Kindergarten-2nd grade years would've been spent when Cartoon Cartoon Fridays was around, since they'd be in 3rd grade when live-action Fridays debuted, they would've spent most of their elementary school years watching all the events and marathons the Powerhouse Era did, and would've been able to remember tons of lineups from the TOM 2 era with Toonami on weekdays. They'd probably remember Cartoon Network before existed too, and would've spent most of their elementary school years when Cartoon Cartoons were making new episodes regularly.

Someone born in 1997, would've most likely only been in Kindergarten during the last season of Cartoon Cartoon Fridays and had barely missed out on a lot of the events and specials the Powerhouse Era did, they'd probably miss out on most of the TOM 2 era although you still had great lineups from TOM 3, they'd only be towards the end of 1st grade when Toonami was moved to Saturday nights for Miguzi, and they'd only be in 1st grade or just about to start 2nd grade when a lot of Cartoon Cartoons started coming to an end and many classics started leaving for Boomerang. However, there are exceptions though, some people might have started watching Cartoon Network when they were 4 or in pre-K because they had older brothers, sisters, or cousins who exposed it to them regularly at a young age, regardless of what grade they were in when the Powerhouse Era started/ended or when the City Era started/ended.

Anyways, you make a good point ocarinafan, that "better than nothing" mentality. We are one of the last group of people to have grown up with a good chunk of the Powerhouse Era right before it ended. Hey, at least our entire 1st half of elementary school years were spent in the latter half of the Powerhouse Era, and even though I wished I had experienced some of the stuff the earlier Powerhouse years offered, personally I get more nostalgic for the 2001-2003 Powerhouse lineups rather than the 1998-2000 ones, but each of the lineups were great in its own ways. As you know my school district in Georgia lasts from August-May every year, so the City Era debuted about 2.5 to 3 weeks after I had already finished 2nd grade. So my childhood was even & even on the cusp between Powerhouse & City, so I got the best of both worlds.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/15/15 at 1:36 pm

So? I'm a 1999 baby and I started watching Cartoon Network during the City era. Not to mention that I had Boomerang and watched the classic golden-age cartoons from the 1940s to 60s, including the 90s Cartoon Network shows (except for Powerpuff Girls, which wasn't on Boomerang until 2009). So, it was okay for me to not experience the Powerhouse era at the time. At least I wasn't born in 2009 or 2010, where not only they entered Kindergarten/1st grade AFTER they rebranded Boomerang, but also when Nickelodeon was going down the extreme sheeshter. Hell, some of them weren't even born after Nickelodeon changed their logo. That's why I'm a proud 2000s kid, because I loved everything that Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, PBS Kids, Discovery Kids and Disney Channel had during the 2000s, before they poisoned themselves in the 2009-2010 school year. Except for PBS Kids, which I quit watching them around 2007.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/15/15 at 1:46 pm

This. I'm glad I was able to witness most of the Powerhouse era. It's weird for me because as my ES took place during that time, I was able to watch most of the Toonami lineups, the early AS days, and even the early Boomerang days (before it became a channel). It's a coincidence that after I graduated ES, 3 days later the PH era was over and transitioned into the City era. It was an incredible change for me that I'll never forget. Just witnessing the very first day of the City era, it seems like CN was renewing itself for the new generation.

Although it hit me after that change, the City era was still awesome, but the PH one was even better. Nothing will ever come close to that one in CN history.

Here are some commercials from the first half the Powerhouse era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSlJTZ1s84M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34d3Goh3cE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afPGRv1nfFI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlunDYMuJRI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXpZ07hMII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq0SYQlrMr0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEr62qGKV-w

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/15/15 at 2:17 pm

Technically speaking 1995 born's were the last to have the majority of the Powerhouse Era in their elementary school years since they had finished 3rd grade when it ended, while 1997 born's were the first to have the majority of the time after the Powerhouse Era in their elementary school years since they had only finished 1st grade when it ended, and as you already stated everybody born after 1998 had no Powerhouse years their entire elementary school years. Not only this is extremely important to your childhood memories of Cartoon Network, but even remembering all the special events that occurred throughout the Powerhouse Era, all the blocks that were around, the lineups, and when all the shows started/ended is key as well depending on your age or when you started elementary school.

Like for example someone born in 1995, even though they'd probably be 9 about to start 4th grade when the Powerhouse Era ended, their whole Kindergarten-2nd grade years would've been spent when Cartoon Cartoon Fridays was around, since they'd be in 3rd grade when live-action Fridays debuted, they would've spent most of their elementary school years watching all the events and marathons the Powerhouse Era did, and would've been able to remember tons of lineups from the TOM 2 era with Toonami on weekdays. They'd probably remember Cartoon Network before existed too, and would've spent most of their elementary school years when Cartoon Cartoons were making new episodes regularly.

Someone born in 1997, would've most likely only been in Kindergarten during the last season of Cartoon Cartoon Fridays and had barely missed out on a lot of the events and specials the Powerhouse Era did, they'd probably miss out on most of the TOM 2 era although you still had great lineups from TOM 3, they'd only be towards the end of 1st grade when Toonami was moved to Saturday nights for Miguzi, and they'd only be in 1st grade or just about to start 2nd grade when a lot of Cartoon Cartoons started coming to an end and many classics started leaving for Boomerang. However, there are exceptions though, some people might have started watching Cartoon Network when they were 4 or in pre-K because they had older brothers, sisters, or cousins who exposed it to them regularly at a young age, regardless of what grade they were in when the Powerhouse Era started/ended or when the City Era started/ended.

Anyways, you make a good point ocarinafan, that "better than nothing" mentality. We are one of the last group of people to have grown up with a good chunk of the Powerhouse Era right before it ended. Hey, at least our entire 1st half of elementary school years were spent in the latter half of the Powerhouse Era, and even though I wished I had experienced some of the stuff the earlier Powerhouse years offered, personally I get more nostalgic for the 2001-2003 Powerhouse lineups rather than the 1998-2000 ones, but each of the lineups were great in its own ways. As you know my school district in Georgia lasts from August-May every year, so the City Era debuted about 2.5 to 3 weeks after I had already finished 2nd grade. So my childhood was even & even on the cusp between Powerhouse & City, so I got the best of both worlds.

Yep you are right about that! We were the Powerhouse/City Era Cuspers. Maybe thats why I personally Identify as a Early-Mid 00's Kid because numerically and culturally my entire peak childhood occurred in equally (or close to it) the early & mid 00's

So? I'm a 1999 baby and I started watching Cartoon Network during the City era. Not to mention that I had Boomerang and watched the classic golden-age cartoons from the 1940s to 60s, including the 90s Cartoon Network shows (except for Powerpuff Girls, which wasn't on Boomerang until 2009). So, it was okay for me to not experience the Powerhouse era at the time. At least I wasn't born in 2009 or 2010, where not only they entered Kindergarten/1st grade AFTER they rebranded Boomerang, but also when Nickelodeon was going down the extreme sheeshter. Hell, some of them weren't even born after Nickelodeon changed their logo. That's why I'm a proud 2000s kid, because I loved everything that Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, PBS Kids, Discovery Kids and Disney Channel had during the 2000s, before they poisoned themselves in the 2009-2010 school year. Except for PBS Kids, which I quit watching them around 2007.

Well thats just my opinion dude. I actually though the City Era was still pretty good, but I still prefer the Powerhouse era MUCH more. Me, Mqg, EAZY-EMAN & mxcrashxm and a few others on this forum, all grew up in the Powerhouse Era when you had the perfect balance between older cartoons like The Flintstones & Looney Tunes, somewhat dated toons at the time like Alvin & the Chipmunks & Batman TAS, anime like Dragon Ball Z & Gundam, & new toons at the time like Dexter's Lab & Johnny Bravo. Hence why you hear all of us foam in the mouth of that epic era!

This. I'm glad I was able to witness most of the Powerhouse era. It's weird for me because as my ES took place during that time, I was able to watch most of the Toonami lineups, the early AS days, and even the early Boomerang days (before it became a channel). It's a coincidence that after I graduated ES, 3 days later the PH era was over and transitioned into the City era. It was an incredible change for me that I'll never forget. Just witnessing the very first day of the City era, it seems like CN was renewing itself for the new generation.

Although it hit me after that change, the City era was still awesome, but the PH one was even better. Nothing will ever come close to that one in CN history.

Here are some commercials from the first half the Powerhouse era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSlJTZ1s84M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34d3Goh3cE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afPGRv1nfFI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlunDYMuJRI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXpZ07hMII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq0SYQlrMr0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEr62qGKV-w

I agree man! I was halfway done with ES when the Powerhouse came to a close, but I still consider it more of my peak childhood! I first watched it around 99 or 00' at my cousin's house, and I regularly watched from late 2001 through mid 2007. So yeah that era is very dear to my heart

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/15/15 at 8:55 pm

Yeah, I'm kind of in a weird position as a 95er I remember the days before Adult Swim EVEN EXISTED!! 8)  The CN City era was slightly more of an older childhood thing! NOT a peak one. That would have been when it was still in the powerhouse era phase. However, I am a bit nostalgic for the first year of the city era 2004-early 05. Summer of 2005 cartoon network is the last thing I EVER get nostalgic for.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/16/15 at 8:45 am

It should be noted here that the '90s were not only about Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network when it came to cartoons on cable. Some might be surprised to learn that many cable networks which today would never dream of showing children's programming actually had entire programming blocks dedicated to animation. In fact, despite all of the additional channels on TV today, you could actually argue that there were more programming options for kids back then.

For example, believe or not, TNT, the network that now only shows drama series', used to have a morning cartoon block up until the late '90s called "TNT Toons".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIMprE7VBpw

USA, which today mostly seems to air Law & Order and NCIS reruns, had an afternoon animation block that for many '90s kids rivaled anything on Nick which was called the USA Cartoon Express.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGV4Xv4ewWs

Something else totally forgotten is that, in the early days of the WB! Network, it used to simulcast it's primetime and animation programming blocks on WGN. For whatever reason, WGN wouldn't air the Kids WB! Saturday morning lineup on Saturday morning. It would just air paid programming on Saturdays, and show the actual Kids WB! block on Sunday mornings. This was pretty cool in the late '90s because you got to see "Sunday Morning Cartoons" in addition to the usual Saturday Morning Cartoons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRb0x-rHIBs

And of course, you can't forget about the most famous block of them all, the Fox Kids Club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9_rQQQxJ5Y

Written By: mqg96 on 09/16/15 at 9:21 am

It should be noted here that the '90s were not only about Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network when it came to cartoons on cable. Some might be surprised to learn that many cable networks which today would never dream of showing children's programming actually had entire programming blocks dedicated to animation. In fact, despite all of the additional channels on TV today, you could actually argue that there were more programming options for kids back then.

For example, believe or not, TNT, the network that now only shows drama series', used to have a morning cartoon block up until the late '90s called "TNT Toons".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIMprE7VBpw

USA, which today mostly seems to air Law & Order and NCIS reruns, had an afternoon animation block that for many '90s kids rivaled anything on Nick which was called the USA Cartoon Express.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGV4Xv4ewWs

Something else totally forgotten is that, in the early days of the WB! Network, it used to simulcast it's primetime and animation programming blocks on WGN. For whatever reason, WGN wouldn't air the Kids WB! Saturday morning lineup on Saturday morning. It would just air paid programming on Saturdays, and show the actual Kids WB! block on Sunday mornings. This was pretty cool in the late '90s because you got to see "Sunday Morning Cartoons" in addition to the usual Saturday Morning Cartoons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRb0x-rHIBs

And of course, you can't forget about the most famous block of them all, the Fox Kids Club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9_rQQQxJ5Y

This goes to show you all the large variety of kids channels and cartoon stations that used to be available to us back in the day. Even the underrated ones that are forgotten. Everyone growing up knew Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network. Disney Channel to a small extent. We also had Kids WB, Toon Disney/Jetix, and Fox Kids/FOX BOX. That USA Cartoon Express sounds interesting, never knew USA network had a Saturday morning block, when did that get discontinued? Also, for those who might not remember depending on if you had it or not. There was a channel called "HBO Family" and during Saturdays a block would come on with kids programming on there, I vaguely remember this jam guy would host it and a show would come on called "Crash Box", it was imaginative to my young self back then. I think I only watched HBO Family (kids shows) like twice my whole childhood on some rare occasions. I mostly stuck with Kids WB. Also another weird story was when I was 6 or 7 years old, I had on the PAX channel on a random Saturday morning, probably the only time I ever had PAX on for some strange reason, and all of the sudden these weird cartoons started coming on, I remember very clearly VeggieTales and that Super Mario Bros. cartoon were on the lineup. Man all the access to kid channels you had back then even the rarest, forgotten ones.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/16/15 at 10:58 am

Thanks for posting the TMNT intro from USA Cartoon Express, I've been looking for it since it aired there. Keep in mind though that for many episodes (especially the CBS ones), they edited down parts of the episode in order to fit more commercials in, but still, Cartoon Express (began in the early '80s) is definitely something I fondly remember. It was Cartoon Network before there was Cartoon Network (along with GSN before there was GSN).

That said, I definitely prefer 90's Nickelodeon. Since you're discussing "00s" Cartoon Network, that means some of the best of the channel's early years doesn't count, from the rerunning the classic era to the early Powerhouse era. Nickelodeon through the '90s was just unstoppable (though it did start to go downhill very late in '98 or in 1999). The decade started with the move to Universal Studios in Orlando where kids (including myself in 1994) could get to experience a tour of the studio up close and personal. I actually remember coming within about 10 feet of Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple when I toured there! It may have been because I prefer a variety of entertainment, more than just cartoons. While CN introduced a few live action shows during the City Era, you can't beat Nick's mix. Nick at Nite also made it great for grown-ups, and had much more variety than it does nowadays, and Nick Jr. was great for pre-schoolers and kindergarteners.

That said, part of this may have to do of course with when you were born. Being a 1985er, I'm obvious much more of a classic '90s Nick fan than an '00s Cartoon Network Fan, where I was in high school during the peak of its Powerhouse Era and was in college when it transitioned to the City Era, so I mostly remember around the 1995-1997 timeline when it was classics with a few originals, though I still used Nickelodeon as my go-to network even if I stopped watching religiously around the time CatDog came along. Looking back, I still view '90s Nick with nostalgia and may see any PH era CN show as something to give a try. This is true with much of kids television/comics, since plots seem to get recycled about once a decade to accomodate a new generation of kids. Early Baby Boomers (the first generation to have a "kid culture" distinctive from their predeccsors IMO) liked locally produced kids' shows and puppet shows like Kukla, Fran & Ollie and Howdy Doody and some early sci-fi shows like Captain Video, and were around for the transiton from Comics' Golden Age to Silver Age. Later Boomers liked the golden age of Saturday Morning in the '60s, from Batman to Flinstones to Rocky & Bullwinkle to Johnny Quest to Top Cat. The Brat Pack cohort of Generation X liked Scooby-Doo, Sid & Marty Kroft live shows, and Superfriends. The "Clueless" cohort of Gen X liked Smurfs, He-Man, Scrappy-era Scooby Doo, Kidd Video, Transformers, GI Joe, and the Satuday Supercade. The "American Pie" portion of Millenials (my cohort) liked The Disney Afternoon, Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Garfield & Friends, Batman: TAS, Spiderman (90s), Doug, Rugrats, and Ren & Stimpy. The "Harry Potter" portion of Millenials of course will prefer Powerhouse era CN and early Spongebob on Nickelodeon along with Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, the FoxBox shows, and Toonmai. The tail end of the generation who likes "Twilight" will enjoy Avatar, City-era CN, Farly Oddparents, and iCarly. IMO the Angry Birds is the Y/Z divide much like the Real Ghosbusters was the X/Y divide. That said, there are lots of revivals or expansions of past franchsies, meaning that today's kids (the later portion of generation Z) won't get to have as distinctive of a lineup as their big sisters/brothers/parents/grandparents did.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/16/15 at 12:53 pm

Thanks for posting the TMNT intro from USA Cartoon Express, I've been looking for it since it aired there. Keep in mind though that for many episodes (especially the CBS ones), they edited down parts of the episode in order to fit more commercials in, but still, Cartoon Express (began in the early '80s) is definitely something I fondly remember. It was Cartoon Network before there was Cartoon Network (along with GSN before there was GSN).

That said, I definitely prefer 90's Nickelodeon. Since you're discussing "00s" Cartoon Network, that means some of the best of the channel's early years doesn't count, from the rerunning the classic era to the early Powerhouse era. Nickelodeon through the '90s was just unstoppable (though it did start to go downhill very late in '98 or in 1999). The decade started with the move to Universal Studios in Orlando where kids (including myself in 1994) could get to experience a tour of the studio up close and personal. I actually remember coming within about 10 feet of Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple when I toured there! It may have been because I prefer a variety of entertainment, more than just cartoons. While CN introduced a few live action shows during the City Era, you can't beat Nick's mix. Nick at Nite also made it great for grown-ups, and had much more variety than it does nowadays, and Nick Jr. was great for pre-schoolers and kindergarteners.

That said, part of this may have to do of course with when you were born. Being a 1985er, I'm obvious much more of a classic '90s Nick fan than an '00s Cartoon Network Fan, where I was in high school during the peak of its Powerhouse Era and was in college when it transitioned to the City Era, so I mostly remember around the 1995-1997 timeline when it was classics with a few originals, though I still used Nickelodeon as my go-to network even if I stopped watching religiously around the time CatDog came along. Looking back, I still view '90s Nick with nostalgia and may see any PH era CN show as something to give a try. This is true with much of kids television/comics, since plots seem to get recycled about once a decade to accomodate a new generation of kids. Early Baby Boomers (the first generation to have a "kid culture" distinctive from their predeccsors IMO) liked locally produced kids' shows and puppet shows like Kukla, Fran & Ollie and Howdy Doody and some early sci-fi shows like Captain Video, and were around for the transiton from Comics' Golden Age to Silver Age. Later Boomers liked the golden age of Saturday Morning in the '60s, from Batman to Flinstones to Rocky & Bullwinkle to Johnny Quest to Top Cat. The Brat Pack cohort of Generation X liked Scooby-Doo, Sid & Marty Kroft live shows, and Superfriends. The "Clueless" cohort of Gen X liked Smurfs, He-Man, Scrappy-era Scooby Doo, Kidd Video, Transformers, GI Joe, and the Satuday Supercade. The "American Pie" portion of Millenials (my cohort) liked The Disney Afternoon, Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Garfield & Friends, Batman: TAS, Spiderman (90s), Doug, Rugrats, and Ren & Stimpy. The "Harry Potter" portion of Millenials of course will prefer Powerhouse era CN and early Spongebob on Nickelodeon along with Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, the FoxBox shows, and Toonmai. The tail end of the generation who likes "Twilight" will enjoy Avatar, City-era CN, Farly Oddparents, and iCarly. IMO the Angry Birds is the Y/Z divide much like the Real Ghosbusters was the X/Y divide. That said, there are lots of revivals or expansions of past franchsies, meaning that today's kids (the later portion of generation Z) won't get to have as distinctive of a lineup as their big sisters/brothers/parents/grandparents did.

This is all very true. Being a 1996er, I guess you could say I was in the 'Harry Potter' section of Gen Y. The cohort that grew up in the late 90's/early-mid 00's, during the Powerhouse CN Era, the Zoog Disney Era, & The Kids WB Era. Since your 11 years my senior & apart of the older half of Gen Y, my Powerhouse would be yours Golden Age Nickelodeon, my Zoog Disney Era would be yours SNICK Era, my Kids WB Era would be yours Fox Kids Era, etc.

The same could be said about my parents. My mother for instance was born in 1957, so a younger boomer, aka Generation Jones. So she grew up with shows like The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Yogi Bear, etc.

While my dad born in 1949 was a older boomer & he grew up with shows like The Mickey Mouse Club & Looney Tunes. He also remembers the original run of shows like I Love Lucy and the Twilight Zone

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/16/15 at 2:20 pm

That USA Cartoon Express sounds interesting, never knew USA network had a Saturday morning block, when did that get discontinued?

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly when it ended. I don't recall seeing it on USA any later than 1997, so I'm gonna guess that it was discontinued sometime in the late '90s. The Cartoon Express actually had a fairly long run, as it started I believe way back in the early '80s. I actually still have a few blank tapes that I recorded of the block as a kid around 1994. There was so much variety in the afternoons back then that I would have to record either it or the Fox Kids Club and watch the other one later. For the most part, the lineup consisted of reruns of various Hanna-Barbera toons like The Flinstones and The Jetsons, as well as action shows like TMNT and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Also another weird story was when I was 6 or 7 years old, I had on the PAX channel on a random Saturday morning, probably the only time I ever had PAX on for some strange reason, and all of the sudden these weird cartoons started coming on, I remember very clearly VeggieTales and that Super Mario Bros. cartoon were on the lineup. Man all the access to kid channels you had back then even the rarest, forgotten ones.

Yeah, the PAX network is totally forgotten. Believe it or not, it actually still exists today, albeit in a re-branded form, and is known as Ion Television. PAX basically picked up where The Family Channel left off back in 1998, after TFC switched over to the Fox Family Channel. Back in it's PAX days, I mostly remember the channel showing reruns of "Little House on the Prarie" and "The Waltons".

Written By: mqg96 on 09/16/15 at 3:09 pm

While CN introduced a few live action shows during the City Era, you can't beat Nick's mix. Nick at Nite also made it great for grown-ups, and had much more variety than it does nowadays, and Nick Jr. was great for pre-schoolers and kindergarteners.

I thought live-action shows didn't start airing on Cartoon Network until Out of Jimmy's Head Re-animated Movie, which wasn't until the end of 2006 which would lead into the series in 2007, and by then the City Era was already over, or it might have still been the YES Era which was technically still the City branding but downgraded. However, if you count the live-action movies, then yes, those did start creeping into Cartoon Network as early as Fall 2005. That's already a major bump for the City Era right there along with some other ones like the era being way too short and the variety & quality of programming not being as good as the Powerhouse Era. As for Nick@Nite, looking back I kinda took it for granted, I used to watch it a lot with my cousins when there was nothing else on TV to watch at night, yes a lot of it was classic sitcom reruns and there were even some cartoon shows on there as well on rare occasions, but I really liked the channel when it had much more variety than it has now. Yeah, I guess Kindergarten year is usually the last year people are into preschool shows. It's kinda like that weird transition phase when you're watching preschool shows and discover big kid shows at the same time throughout the year, and by the time you're in 1st grade you're watching big kid shows only and you're no longer watching preschool shows period anymore. Although girls with cute feelings will continue to sneak preschool shows as late as 2nd or 3rd grade. Most of the boys or guys will quit preschool shows in the middle of Kindergarten once they know their basics 100%. My cousin who's 6 years old in 1st grade, was already into Cartoon Network this time last year when he was still 5, I sat with him and watched an episode of Steven Universe once.

That said, part of this may have to do of course with when you were born. Being a 1985er, I'm obvious much more of a classic '90s Nick fan than an '00s Cartoon Network Fan, where I was in high school during the peak of its Powerhouse Era and was in college when it transitioned to the City Era, so I mostly remember around the 1995-1997 timeline when it was classics with a few originals, though I still used Nickelodeon as my go-to network even if I stopped watching religiously around the time CatDog came along. Looking back, I still view '90s Nick with nostalgia and may see any PH era CN show as something to give a try. This is true with much of kids television/comics, since plots seem to get recycled about once a decade to accomodate a new generation of kids.

Yes sir, it definitely depends on when you were born, which I will get to in a second, keep scrolling down.

Early Baby Boomers (the first generation to have a "kid culture" distinctive from their predeccsors IMO) liked locally produced kids' shows and puppet shows like Kukla, Fran & Ollie and Howdy Doody and some early sci-fi shows like Captain Video, and were around for the transiton from Comics' Golden Age to Silver Age. Later Boomers liked the golden age of Saturday Morning in the '60s, from Batman to Flinstones to Rocky & Bullwinkle to Johnny Quest to Top Cat. The Brat Pack cohort of Generation X liked Scooby-Doo, Sid & Marty Kroft live shows, and Superfriends. The "Clueless" cohort of Gen X liked Smurfs, He-Man, Scrappy-era Scooby Doo, Kidd Video, Transformers, GI Joe, and the Satuday Supercade. The "American Pie" portion of Millenials (my cohort) liked The Disney Afternoon, Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Garfield & Friends, Batman: TAS, Spiderman (90s), Doug, Rugrats, and Ren & Stimpy. The "Harry Potter" portion of Millenials of course will prefer Powerhouse era CN and early Spongebob on Nickelodeon along with Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, the FoxBox shows, and Toonmai. The tail end of the generation who likes "Twilight" will enjoy Avatar, City-era CN, Farly Oddparents, and iCarly. IMO the Angry Birds is the Y/Z divide much like the Real Ghosbusters was the X/Y divide. That said, there are lots of revivals or expansions of past franchsies, meaning that today's kids (the later portion of generation Z) won't get to have as distinctive of a lineup as their big sisters/brothers/parents/grandparents did.

I'm born in 1996 but it feels like I'm in a weird position, I was a big Harry Potter fan too especially the movies as a kid, then of course Twilight ran throughout the late 2000's & early 2010's but I wasn't into it that much, and I'm also a big fan of Hunger Games as well. I was in Kindergarten-2nd grade (2001-2004) watching the Powerhouse Era, and I was in 3rd-5th grade (2004-2007) watching CN City Era although I kinda dazed off Cartoon Network around the middle of my 5th grade year since I was losing interest. Also, I enjoyed early Spongebob Squarepants, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Fairly Odd Parents but I preferred the Powerhouse Era over CN City Era. I respect iCarly but I couldn't get into it by the time it came out, I was more into Drake & Josh and That's So Raven. I also enjoyed Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh on Cartoon Network/Kids WB and I watched Toonami when it was on the weekdays as well. As for Angry Birds you make a great point that it's Y/Z cusp, because I was so addicted to that game throughout my freshmen and sophomore years of high school. I remember visiting New York in Summer 2011 seeing all these Angry Birds T-shirts, shoes, clothes, and merchandise at many stores. So I don't what I'm apart of :o

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly when it ended. I don't recall seeing it on USA any later than 1997, so I'm gonna guess that it was discontinued sometime in the late '90s. The Cartoon Express actually had a fairly long run, as it started I believe way back in the early '80s. I actually still have a few blank tapes that I recorded of the block as a kid around 1994. There was so much variety in the afternoons back then that I would have to record either it or the Fox Kids Club and watch the other one later. For the most part, the lineup consisted of reruns of various Hanna-Barbera toons like The Flinstones and The Jetsons, as well as action shows like TMNT and Sonic the Hedgehog.

I went to Wikipedia (although inaccurate) and it said USA Cartoon Express ended on September 15, 1996, so no wonder I never heard of it lol. However, thanks for the history lesson though, it's ok to learn about a Saturday morning block before your time. 8) Sounds like it would've been cool to experience though. I noticed a lot of Saturday morning blocks throughout its history tended to make all of its changes for the upcoming season or school year in the month of September.

Yeah, the PAX network is totally forgotten. Believe it or not, it actually still exists today, albeit in a re-branded form, and is known as Ion Television. PAX basically picked up where The Family Channel left off back in 1998, after TFC switched over to the Fox Family Channel. Back in it's PAX days, I mostly remember the channel showing reruns of "Little House on the Prarie" and "The Waltons".

Oh yeah I know Ion Television was formerly PAX, and as for reruns of shows that sounds about correct. I'm not sure if PAX had original series, but I remember my dad having PAX on many times throughout my early childhood and middle childhood and I remember he would see some old shows on there as well. It did seem like a family channel to an extent, maybe it played game shows too but I'm not sure, see I hardly remember PAX, but I remember it because of that logo no doubt about it. It was just one random Saturday morning I had PAX on for some reason and reruns of DIC shows and maybe a few newer programming came on for some reason.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/16/15 at 3:45 pm

So, you went to Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando too, huh? My parents took me and my brother there back in 1996, and that is still, to this day, the greatest trip I ever been on. I loved all the themed rides like the Jaws boat ride, and the underground Earthquake simulator, but yeah, the actual Nickelodeon Studios itself was the highlight. We attended a taping of Double Dare, and even got to see the sets of shows like Gullah Gullah Island.

At any rate, I agree with your division of Millennials into "American Pie" and "Harry Potter" halves. What's interesting is that, as someone born in 1987, I sort of belong to both the early and later portions of the generation. I was old enough to have gotten into TMNT, early Nicktoons, Batman: TAS, Garfield, Power Rangers, Ducktales, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc., but, at the same time, I was still in junior high school around the end of the '90s, so I got into later stuff like Toonami, Dexter's Lab, Pokemon and Rocket Power as well. I feel like, in many ways, that people in my immediate age group (roughly 1986-88) sort of "split the difference" if you will between the early and later halves of Gen Y.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/16/15 at 4:45 pm

So, you went to Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando too, huh? My parents took me and my brother there back in 1996, and that is still, to this day, the greatest trip I ever been on. I loved all the themed rides like the Jaws boat ride, and the underground Earthquake simulator, but yeah, the actual Nickelodeon Studios itself was the highlight. We attended a taping of Double Dare, and even got to see the sets of shows like Gullah Gullah Island.

At any rate, I agree with your division of Millennials into "American Pie" and "Harry Potter" halves. What's interesting is that, as someone born in 1987, I sort of belong to both the early and later portions of the generation. I was old enough to have gotten into TMNT, early Nicktoons, Batman: TAS, Garfield, Power Rangers, Ducktales, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc., but, at the same time, I was still in junior high school around the end of the '90s, so I got into later stuff like Toonami, Dexter's Lab, Pokemon and Rocket Power as well. I feel like, in many ways, that people in my immediate age group (roughly 1986-88) sort of "split the difference" if you will between the early and later halves of Gen Y.

Yeah your apart of the mean girls gen y generation!

Check for new replies or respond here...