inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did any of you watch Toon Disney?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/10/15 at 6:26 pm

I feel like this was such a underrated channel, so much so that many people have either forgot about it or never heard of it.

For those of you who don't know what it was, it was an epic channel that ran from 1998-2009. It originally aired Disney Afternoon, Classif Disney shorts, & (at the time) new ABC One Saturday Morning Cartoons. It was pretty amazing in the late 90's and early 00's.

However in 2004, the debut of the block Jetix, a block dedicated to action shows and former Fox Kids Programming, was launched. While the shows themselves didn't really bother me that much what really bothered me was the fact that the block would force many of the classic Disney cartoons to shut down their reruns. So in other words 2004 was a weird transitional year, but was still relatively good for the most part.
But by 2005/6, the channel became the Jetix Channel & most of the Disney cartoons were new exclusively.

Anyways sorry about that rant, but did any of you watch or atleast heard of Toon Disney in the late 90's or early 00's ?

Subject: Re: Did any of you watch Toon Disney?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/15 at 6:38 pm

Even though it was Jetix dominated in the mid and late 2000s, the channel was still called Toon Disney. I love the channel. If it wasn't for Pucca, Yin Yang Yo and some other shows that were on Jetix, I wouldn't really respect over the channel anyways. Besides that, do we really need to become obsessed over a channel that once aired Disney Afternoon shows in the late 90s/early 2000s?

Written By: mqg96 on 09/10/15 at 6:38 pm

I agree with everything you said, and yes as I've already stated many times the 2002-2004 design was my favorite era, however 1998-2001 was pretty good as well, and I still enjoyed the 2005 & 2006 years of Toon Disney when Jetix was pretty young with Marvel cartoon reruns and Toon Disney still aired many reruns and modern cartoons despite many classics leaving.

bBfmmuwLUlI

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/10/15 at 10:53 pm

I didn't have this channel but I remember wanting it. It aired this Wizard of Oz cartoon that I had one recorded VHS tape of from 1990. I think it also played The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and a few other gems.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/10/15 at 11:08 pm

I didn't have this channel but I remember wanting it. It aired this Wizard of Oz cartoon that I had one recorded VHS tape of from 1990. I think it also played The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and a few other gems.

Yep you are right! They did play Adventures of Sonic, which looking back was a pretty bad show lol. They also had Madeline which was a guilty pleasure to me. However one of my favorite non Disney cartoon they had was Toad Patrol, it was and still is a VERY underrated show

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/10/15 at 11:23 pm

Yup I'm with MQ that 2002-mid 2004 period of Toon Disney was SICK!!! I watched Toon Disney for the first time in 2000/2001 at my cousins house because had more channels. I thought that network was BADASS, I remember being soooo jealous of him. He got to see the old Disney afternoon reruns!! I was sooo freaking glad I got it in 2002 around the time I turned 7, they were showing Disney afternoon reruns AND even one Saturday morning cartoons in the 03/04 period! I was sooo spoiled! In 3rd grade Jetix premiered, and honestly I wasn't that bothered at the change at the time. They showed old reruns of fox kids shows and was like AWESOME my earlier childhood was back! I felt like I had gotten older at this point anyways, I figured the network aged with me, so I went with it! They even made their own series like WITCH and that robot monkey show!! ;D  Toon Disney was still around but the old shows weren't the main focus it was now the fox kids reruns and original series! It just wasn't quite the same!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/14/15 at 8:46 am

I loved Toon Disney in the late '90s. By 1998, The Disney Channel was transitioning to the "Zoog Disney" era, and thus showing less and less of it's old school cartoons (Mickey's Mouse Tracks, Donald's Quack Attack, etc.), as well as the Disney Afternoon shows that I grew up watching, so I thought it was awesome to have a network that was actually dedicated to showing those types of shows.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch Toon Disney that often until we finally upgraded from cable to Direct TV in 2002, so before that I could only really watch it whenever I was over at my cousin's house, who's family had Primestar back in the late '90s. By 2004, I was nearly an adult, but I still would watch Toon Disney just about daily as a "guilty pleasure", until the shows I liked began to disappear off the channel in the mid '00s.

Written By: nally on 09/14/15 at 5:38 pm

I didn't get to watch the channel until after we first got cable tv in the early 2000s. But it did bring back memories of the Disney Afternoon lineup that was around during the 90s. I liked Ducktales and Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers the best because they had interesting storylines.

It's too bad that the channel got phased out in the later 2000s and was eventually replaced by Disney XD. I'd love to see some of those older cartoon shows again.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/14/15 at 7:40 pm

Yup I'm with MQ that 2002-mid 2004 period of Toon Disney was SICK!!! I watched Toon Disney for the first time in 2000/2001 at my cousins house because had more channels. I thought that network was BADASS, I remember being soooo jealous of him. He got to see the old Disney afternoon reruns!! I was sooo freaking glad I got it in 2002 around the time I turned 7, they were showing Disney afternoon reruns AND even one Saturday morning cartoons in the 03/04 period! I was sooo spoiled! In 3rd grade Jetix premiered, and honestly I wasn't that bothered at the change at the time. They showed old reruns of fox kids shows and was like AWESOME my earlier childhood was back! I felt like I had gotten older at this point anyways, I figured the network aged with me, so I went with it! They even made their own series like WITCH and that robot monkey show!! ;D  Toon Disney was still around but the old shows weren't the main focus it was now the fox kids reruns and original series! It just wasn't quite the same!

Yeah I agree with both of you! I feel the channel was at its best during 2002-2004. 2005-2006 were ok, there were still many good shows but it was
around the time Jetix shows started getting more airtime than the Disney cartoons. I also liked the 1998-2002 period. It's when o first saw the network which was around early 2001 at my cousins and when I started watching regularly with DirectTV in late 2001. So I have a lot of nostalgia from that era as well!

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/15/15 at 9:54 am

Since I was in late middle/high school during the channel's prime, I didn't watch it too much except for an occassional look, thinking that with DVD that most of these will eventually be out on DVD, when it turns out that some shows such as Aladdin, Bonkers, Timon & Pumbaa, Hercules, and 101 Dalmatians have never had a proper DVD release (I've seen bootlegs though for sale), though with Goof Troop just getting new DVD releases, there's hope. When it comes to cartoons, I mostly identify with the 1987-1996 era (being 2 to 11), with a few earlier that were reran or started a little earlier, and that's where I picked up on those Disney Afternoon reruns.

And you're right that such a transition on the main Disney Channel occured around then, which was 15 years old when Toon Disney was launched.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/15/15 at 11:21 am

Yes I did. I watched that block up until 2003 because I was getting older, so I began to stray from it. OTT, it offered everything that aired throughout the 90s and continued to air cartoons. One of the best blocks with creativity.

Check for new replies or respond here...