inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Identifying a Very Specific Early 90s Zeitgeist

Written By: mgately on 09/21/15 at 3:40 pm

Looking for pop culture artifacts that document a very specific sort of early 90s youth culture zeitgeist. I'm talking about the pre-grunge early 90s, the early 90s of heavy metal and hair metal and early hip hop. I'm looking for movies/shows that sort of share the same spirit as these:

The Simpsons (Bartmania days, before Homer took over)

Terminator 2 (arcades that John and friend play, Public Enemy shirt, Guns N' Roses)

Wayne's World (metal, MTV)

Encino Man (slurpin' the juice, think quintessentially early 90s LA suburbs)

The last halcyon days of fast food consumer products - McDonalds, Burger King, Coke, Pepsi, Pizza Hut (not Subway or Starbucks!!!!)

Early video games - Nintendo, Sega, Arcades

Mall culture (but separate from 80s Debbie Gibson and Valley Girl stuff)

Others might include Beavis & Butthead, Headbanger's Ball, the first couple of Ninja Turtle movies, Blockbuster Video (video stores in general), and more. I believe that the zeitgeist I'm looking for started in 1989 and was over by '93. Even if you can't provide me with any movies or TV shows, just let me know if you happen to know the vibe I'm talking about, LOL.

Subject: Re: Identifying a Very Specific Early 90s Zeitgeist

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/21/15 at 11:57 pm

Looking for pop culture artifacts that document a very specific sort of early 90s youth culture zeitgeist. I'm talking about the pre-grunge early 90s, the early 90s of heavy metal and hair metal and early hip hop. I'm looking for movies/shows that sort of share the same spirit as these:

Terminator 2 (arcades that John and friend play, Public Enemy shirt, Guns N' Roses)

The last halcyon days of fast food consumer products - McDonalds, Burger King, Coke, Pepsi, Pizza Hut (not Subway or Starbucks!!!!)

Others might include Beavis & Butthead, Headbanger's Ball, the first couple of Ninja Turtle movies, Blockbuster Video (video stores in general), and more. I believe that the zeitgeist I'm looking for started in 1989 and was over by '93. Even if you can't provide me with any movies or TV shows, just let me know if you happen to know the vibe I'm talking about, LOL.

Saved By the Bell?

Written By: #Infinity on 09/22/15 at 5:39 am

The era that you speak of I call the "neighties," because like you said, it's full of culture that stands on its own from both the majority of the 80s, as well as the majority of the 90s.  I personally consider the fall of 1988 the point when this atmosphere became dominant, and the second half of 1991 the time when the regular early 90s fully took over and most things popular in this era either declined in popularity or evolved drastically.

The following are some of the things that I think most represented this period:

Political Events:
+ End of the Cold War
+ Former Soviet provinces declare independence
+ George H.W. Bush
+ Saddam Hussein and the Gulf War
+ Freeing of Nelson Mandela

TV Shows:
+ Twin Peaks
+ Saved By the Bell
+ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
+ Full House
+ A Different World
+ The Super Mario Bros. Super Show
+ The Simpsons (Seasons 1 and 2)

Video Games:
+ Peak of the Nintendo Entertainment System
+ Pre-Sonic Sega Genesis ("Genesis Does What Nintendon't" Era)
+ Mega Man 2
+ Super Mario Bros. 3
+ Altered Beast
+ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade and NES)
+ Original Game Boy (Super Mario Land + Tetris era)

Music:
+ New-jack swing, pop hip hop, and early house are the dominant forms of music
+ Bobby Brown
+ Paula Abdul
+ New Kids on the Block
+ Vanilla Ice
+ MC Hammer
+ Tone Loc
+ Bell Biv DeVoe
+ Roxette
+ Milli Vanilli
+ Technotronic
+ Wilson Phillips
+ Living Colour
+ C+C Music Factory

Movies:
+ Batman
+ Dick Tracy
+ The Little Mermaid
+ Back to the Future Part II
+ Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
+ Goodfellas
+ Home Alone
+ Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure + Bogus Journey
+ Edward Scissorhands
+ The Silence of the Lambs
+ When Harry Met Sally
+ Pretty Woman
+ Dance with Wolves
+ Total Recall
+ Ghost
+ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (original + Secret of the Ooze)

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/22/15 at 9:15 am

The Early90sGuy is your friend, OP. Some of what you're talking about goes back to 1987 (when George H.W. Bush even started to make his aspirations to become president just like in 2015 there are already aspirations for the next president). 1990 and 1991 share far more with 1989 than 1992, about the same with 1987-88 and 1992. If you mention TMNT as TV Shows, you might as well mention DiC GI Joe, Captain Planet, California Raisins, the original Disney Afternoon lineup, Wild & Crazy Kids, Make The Grade, Think Fast, Super Sloppy Double Dare & Family Double Dare, Hey Dude, Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters (not the first three seasons). Like others have mentioned, a mash of '80s and some retro hippie era trends. Basically my preschool and kindergarten school years. However 1987 and 1988 are by and large still the '80s (albeit not du jure like 1983-86 are), with 1989 still no worse than pluarity '80s, whereas 1990 is pluralty '90s, with leftover '80s right behind and retro inspired right behind. 1991 is majority '90s, 1992 is de facto '90s, and 1993 is de jure '90s. I compare this a lot to the pre-9/11 '00s (and very late '90s to account for Y2K/Columbine/Internet and cellphone proliferation along with the coming of age of the Millenials as the first ones enter adulthood).

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/22/15 at 1:42 pm

I should have checked this thread before making mine. I mentioned how this era, while very short, encompassed almost the entirety of prolific mainstream careers for artists such as Roxette, Paula Abdul, and New Kids on the Block.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/22/15 at 1:45 pm

Music:
+ New-jack swing, pop hip hop, and early house are the dominant forms of music
+ Bobby Brown
+ Paula Abdul
+ New Kids on the Block
+ Vanilla Ice
+ MC Hammer
+ Tone Loc
+ Bell Biv DeVoe
+ Roxette
+ Milli Vanilli
+ Technotronic
+ Wilson Phillips
+ Living Colour
+ C+C Music Factory

I would add Janet Jackson to this list as well. The Rhythm Nation 1814 album alone produced four #1 hits and three other top 4 hits between late '89 and very early '91. However, unlike most of the others on the list, Janet managed to stay relevant at least through the rest of the '90s.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/15 at 2:16 pm

Saved By the Bell?

Yes, definitely Saved By The Bell

Written By: #Infinity on 09/22/15 at 7:06 pm

I would add Janet Jackson to this list as well. The Rhythm Nation 1814 album alone produced four #1 hits and three other top 4 hits between late '89 and very early '91. However, unlike most of the others on the list, Janet managed to stay relevant at least through the rest of the '90s.

She was also extremely popular in the mid-late 80s, thanks to Control, and remained highly relevant on the charts for 18 more years, before Nipplegate destroyed her widespread airplay opportunities. While Rhythm Nation was arguably her magnum opus, it certainly wasn't her only work to achieve monumental sales figures and several hit singles.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/23/15 at 12:05 am

The era that you speak of I call the "neighties," because like you said, it's full of culture that stands on its own from both the majority of the 80s, as well as the majority of the 90s.  I personally consider the fall of 1988 the point when this atmosphere became dominant, and the second half of 1991 the time when the regular early 90s fully took over and most things popular in this era either declined in popularity or evolved drastically.

The "Neighties"? That's a new one if I ever heard it. At the time, we either just called them "the '90s" or "the early '90s".

'88 was not any different from all of the other years of the '80s, in my opinion. I think of '79 and the actual '80s years as 'the line between two points' (gray matter, if you will). The start of '91, like that of '79, was when we started pulling away away from the year 1990. '91 was the year of Tiny Toon Adventures ( Histeria! was on for ALL of 1999), Mariah Carey on VH1 (Rainbow was released on November 2, 1999), and movies with amazing CGI in them like Terminator 2 (Star Wars: Episode 1 The Phantom Menace came to theaters on May 19, 1999). I suppose you could see 1991 and 1992 as a figurative shadow to 1990 since they were a lot closer on the timeline and pop culturally to 1990 than they were to 1999. Perhaps, that is why I like those years as much as I do.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/23/15 at 12:11 am

Yes, definitely Saved By The Bell

Where else will you see Screech wear a Simpsons Family Portrait shirt (produced in 1989 and sold at the very start of 1990)? I even remember the metal-head extra wearing a bootleg Bart Simpson hockey goalie shirt in one of the season 2 episodes. The second season episodes of the series are real gems to me.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/23/15 at 1:19 am

The Early90sGuy is your friend, OP.

Thank you for the compliment, yelimsexa.

Some of what you're talking about goes back to 1987 (when George H.W. Bush even started to make his aspirations to become president just like in 2015 there are already aspirations for the next president).

Definitely, the pop culture of the Bush 1 era sprang up like mushrooms in all seasons of 1987.

1990 and 1991 share far more with 1989 than 1992, about the same with 1987-88 and 1992.

1987-1989 were all late '80s years. There wasn't a trace of things like baggy Girbaud jeans, Baby Blues comic strips in the newspaper, or Law and Order on TV in those years. '92 was the last year of the early '90s era, but like '89, it shares far more with 1993 (the second most important year of the 1990s) than 1990 does. Everything that came out of '91 and '92 were reactions to what people discovered in 1990 for the year 1993 and beyond. Think about it, without Turtlemania '90, Battletoads would not have ever been invented and the bendable Battletoads figures would not be in stores at the start of 1993.   

If you mention TMNT as TV Shows, you might as well mention DiC GI Joe, Captain Planet, California Raisins, the original Disney Afternoon lineup....

New episodes of the syndicated original TMNT cartoon were on from 1987 to 1990. It counts as a show that came out of the '80s for the year 1990 alone, in my book.
Different networks ran the syndicated episodes from 1987 to the fall of 1993.

The first version of the CBS Saturday morning TMNT episodes were on from 1990 to 1993. Those seasons were an admixture of 30 minute toy commercials and actual cartoons with silly plots. Some of the most interesting episodes were shown in the fall of 1993, of course.     

The Dic G.I. Joe cartoon was introduced in the fall of 1989 and went off the air in the fall of 1992 (when '92 was beginning to look more the like the winter-spring season of 1993). It's an early '90s cartoon to me.

Captain Planet, like the CBS Saturday morning Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, hit in the fall of 1990 and jumped the shark in the mid '90s (Hitler versus Captain Planet, what were they thinking). This show was in 'the safe zone' last in the spring of 1993.

California Raisins were everywhere from 1988 to 1991. After 1990, four other Hardees figurines were sold and a PSA was shown on TV featuring them before they disappeared from the public eye.

How can anyone forget Launchpad McQuack? He was a regular in not one, but two Disney Afternoon lineups of the early '90s .

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/23/15 at 1:36 am

I'm talking about the pre-grunge early 90s, the early 90s of heavy metal and hair metal and early hip hop.

There was no such time as a "pre-grunge early '90s". Grunge was present from day of the Bush 1 era to the very end. Heretic by Soundgarden was used for the soundtrack to the 1990 teen film Pump Up the Volume, just so you know.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/23/15 at 11:17 am

The "Neighties"? That's a new one if I ever heard it. At the time, we either just called them "the '90s" or "the early '90s".

Obviously not at the time, since people didn't know how the period would relate to the remainder of the 90s, but in retrospect, it's sort of a period with a highly identifiable style but which doesn't lean heavily towards either the late 80s, nor the early 90s.  It's a cheesy term, I know, but be happy that I'm at least not calling 1990 straight-up 80s.

There was no such time as a "pre-grunge early '90s". Grunge was present from day of the Bush 1 era to the very end. Heretic by Soundgarden was used for the soundtrack to the 1990 teen film Pump Up the Volume, just so you know.

Seriously?  Just because one grunge song that wasn't even an airplay hit appeared in a moderately obscure film from 1990, grunge was already as significant a trend back then as it was after Nirvana became popular?  You're really obsessed with the year 1990, aren't you?  It feels like you'll make any kind of obscure connection to that year just to prove it was the universal crux of popular culture.  Grunge existed in Seattle's underground since at least the mid-80s (Soundgarden formed in 1984), but it was never a serious movement that overshadowed hair metal and commercial rock until after Nevermind became huge.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/23/15 at 12:56 pm

The "Neighties"?

ROFL LMAO!!! When I pronounced that word I cracked up! Sounds like a British word lol. Maybe it's because she's talking about the early 90's being an extension of late 80's culture, or the earliest 90's influences starting in the late 80's, so she combined the words "eighties" and "nineties" together to come up with the term "neighties" ;D ;D ;D, I'm the ultimate "neighties" kid ;D ;D ;D (not really)

Written By: Howard on 09/23/15 at 2:24 pm

ROFL LMAO!!! When I pronounced that word I cracked up! Sounds like a British word lol. Maybe it's because she's talking about the early 90's being an extension of late 80's culture, or the earliest 90's influences starting in the late 80's, so she combined the words "eighties" and "nineties" together to come up with the term "neighties" ;D ;D ;D, I'm the ultimate "neighties" kid ;D ;D ;D (not really)

I don't know how he came up with that word? ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/15 at 2:26 pm

Is 'neighties' a corruption of 'nighties'?

Written By: Howard on 09/23/15 at 3:25 pm

Is 'neighties' a corruption of 'nighties'?

I don't know Phil, never heard of the word.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/15 at 3:28 pm

I don't know Phil, never heard of the word.
The same with me.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/23/15 at 4:59 pm

The period just doesn't specifically feel connected to either the 80s, nor the 90s, so I just combined the two terms.  Believe me, I'm laughing just as hard as you guys are at the ridiculous nickname, but in absence of anything better, it's sadly the most accurate thing I can come up with. I can't simply call it the "Bush '41 era" because Bush was still president well into the period that grunge, SNES, Ren & Stimpy, Sonic, etc. were already fully established.

I see the "late 80s" as encompassing roughly the autumn of 1986 to the summer of 1988, with the last part of the 80s feeling too distinct from that period and too close to 1990 and early 1991 to fit the description appropriately. The "regular" late 80s are defined by things such as:

+ The initial breakthrough of the NES
+ Hip hop's initial entrance into the mainstream, particularly Run-DMC, Licensed to Ill-era Beastie Boys, Bigger and Deffer-era LL Cool J, Fat Boys, Push It-era Salt-N-Pepa, and Eric B. & Rakim. This phase of hip hop I consider distinct from the genre as it was during the Neighties, as its typical production methods were either heavily rock-influenced or purely driven by percussive loops and DJ'ing. A common trope of this period, particularly in the case of hip hop groups, was the call-and-response, in which one emcee would complete another's sentence during the same verse.
+ ALF
+ The initial breakthrough of acoustic/alternative rock through acts such as R.E.M., Suzanne Vega, and Tracy Chapman
+ George Michael leaves Wham! to become a solo artist
+ Peak of hair metal (Slippery When Wet, Look What the Cat Dragged In, Whitesnake, The Final Countdown, Appetite for Destruction, etc.)
+ DuckTales
+ Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, and Belinda Carlisle
+ Glassnot/Perestroika-era global politics
+ Iran-Contra scandal

In all honesty, I don't consider this period to be significantly different from the mid-80s, as it was mostly dominated by extensions and expansions of trends from that era, but if I had to divide the 1980s into early/middle/late sub phases, then it has just enough of its own style, plus calendar proximity, that it fits the "late 80s" description most appropriately. The period during which Bush the Elder was President and the Soviet Union was dissolving for good is so evenly split between the 80s and 90s, both culturally and in calendar dates, that it's easier to just describe it as an independent era than to simply categorize it as either "late 80s" or "early 90s." It's pretty similar to the period from roughly 1999-2001, which most people prefer to just call the millennial era, as it definitely has its own identifiable style but doesn't quite fit either the "late 90s" description, nor the "early 2000s" description.

P.S., it's she, not he. My gender is right below my user avatar, so I don't know how you missed it.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/23/15 at 7:20 pm

Infinity did not create that word, it's been around for a couple years already.

https://m.facebook.com/TheNeighties?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FTheNeighties

Written By: #Infinity on 09/23/15 at 7:39 pm

If "neighties" troubles you guys, then I guess I'll just be liberal with the term "Bush '41 Era" because people were already talking about the man during the election season in the fall of 1988, when this particular era's influence was still on the rise, and the very last of the period's influences didn't really die until about the time Bush '41 left office, in early 1993, even though it was already overshadowed by the grunge/Sonic/Street Fighter/Nicktoons early 90s by 1992 (not to mention Bill Clinton was running for office that year, anyway).

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/23/15 at 8:32 pm

If "neighties" troubles you guys, then I guess I'll just be liberal with the term "Bush '41 Era" because people were already talking about the man during the election season in the fall of 1988, when this particular era's influence was still on the rise, and the very last of the period's influences didn't really die until about the time Bush '41 left office, in early 1993, even though it was already overshadowed by the grunge/Sonic/Street Fighter/Nicktoons early 90s by 1992 (not to mention Bill Clinton was running for office that year, anyway).

The period's influences were not overshadowed by Pearl Jam singles, Sonic the Hedgehog, the Street Fighter 2 arcade game and Nicktoons BY 1992, but after the summer of 1992.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/23/15 at 10:02 pm

The period just doesn't specifically feel connected to either the 80s, nor the 90s, so I just combined the two terms.  Believe me, I'm laughing just as hard as you guys are at the ridiculous nickname, but in absence of anything better, it's sadly the most accurate thing I can come up with. I can't simply call it the "Bush '41 era" because Bush was still president well into the period that grunge, SNES, Ren & Stimpy, Sonic, etc. were already fully established.

I see the "late 80s" as encompassing roughly the autumn of 1986 to the summer of 1988, with the last part of the 80s feeling too distinct from that period and too close to 1990 and early 1991 to fit the description appropriately. The "regular" late 80s are defined by things such as:

+ The initial breakthrough of the NES
+ Hip hop's initial entrance into the mainstream, particularly Run-DMC, Licensed to Ill-era Beastie Boys, Bigger and Deffer-era LL Cool J, Fat Boys, Push It-era Salt-N-Pepa, and Eric B. & Rakim. This phase of hip hop I consider distinct from the genre as it was during the Neighties, as its typical production methods were either heavily rock-influenced or purely driven by percussive loops and DJ'ing. A common trope of this period, particularly in the case of hip hop groups, was the call-and-response, in which one emcee would complete another's sentence during the same verse.
+ ALF
+ The initial breakthrough of acoustic/alternative rock through acts such as R.E.M., Suzanne Vega, and Tracy Chapman
+ George Michael leaves Wham! to become a solo artist
+ Peak of hair metal (Slippery When Wet, Look What the Cat Dragged In, Whitesnake, The Final Countdown, Appetite for Destruction, etc.)
+ DuckTales
+ Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, and Belinda Carlisle
+ Glassnot/Perestroika-era global politics
+ Iran-Contra scandal

In all honesty, I don't consider this period to be significantly different from the mid-80s, as it was mostly dominated by extensions and expansions of trends from that era, but if I had to divide the 1980s into early/middle/late sub phases, then it has just enough of its own style, plus calendar proximity, that it fits the "late 80s" description most appropriately. The period during which Bush the Elder was President and the Soviet Union was dissolving for good is so evenly split between the 80s and 90s, both culturally and in calendar dates, that it's easier to just describe it as an independent era than to simply categorize it as either "late 80s" or "early 90s." It's pretty similar to the period from roughly 1999-2001, which most people prefer to just call the millennial era, as it definitely has its own identifiable style but doesn't quite fit either the "late 90s" description, nor the "early 2000s" description.

P.S., it's she, not he. My gender is right below my user avatar, so I don't know how you missed it.

'86 (Last year of the mid '80s): ALF premiered
'87 (First year of the late '80s/Strongest year of the late '80s): ALF plush toys/cartoon/poster/TV Guide cover/the show jumps the shark with the Christmas special (IMO)
'88: ALF Burger King dolls/valentines/lunchbox/trading cards/Halloween costume/vinyl/PVCs/T-shirts/comic book/second cartoon/Animated ALF show finale/DOS games
'89 (Last year of the late '80s): ALF video game/magazine/Animated Alf PVCs/ Animated ALF videos/Animated ALF storybooks/puzzles/Alf Tales finale
'90 (First year of the early '90s/Most Definitive year of the early '90s): Animated ALF  Tales videos/Wendy's Animated ALF Tales toys/Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue/TV Show finale/ALF TV show repeats/final issue of the magazine
'91: 1987 Coleco ALF doll is used as prop in Blossom on NBC/ALF is a special guest star on Blossom
'92 (Last year of the early '90s): Final issue of the Marvel ALF comic book
'93 (First year of the core '90s): Last DOS games released (educational games)

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/24/15 at 1:08 pm

Don't forget Madonna!  ;)

She was also extremely popular in the mid-late 80s, thanks to Control, and remained highly relevant on the charts for 18 more years, before Nipplegate destroyed her widespread airplay opportunities. While Rhythm Nation was arguably her magnum opus, it certainly wasn't her only work to achieve monumental sales figures and several hit singles.

I think Rhythm Nation is overrated. The Velvet Rope was far better, especially artistically. Her singles were really good and the album cuts were still awesome. As a matter of fact, "Together Again" might be her signature hit. Especially when you consider that it was one of the most successful singles of the 1990's.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/15 at 2:32 pm

https://m.facebook.com/TheNeighties?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FTheNeighties

How come I've never heard of the word? ???

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/25/15 at 12:36 am

How come I've never heard of the word? ???

It's not very widespread on the web.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/15 at 7:46 am

It's not very widespread on the web.

People come up with these weird words in today's culture.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/25/15 at 10:20 am

People come up with these weird words in today's culture.

In this texting age, portmanteaus appear to be very common.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/15 at 10:06 am

Definitely a new word to me, and only seems to exist on that FB page.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/15/15 at 2:50 am

There's something about these two songs that really seem to capture the vibe of 1990 for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5fuP3teihg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Za0gWXJW1w

Check for new replies or respond here...