inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s mini-revival in the late 90s?

Written By: Zelek on 10/20/15 at 5:38 pm

I know that nostalgia cycles go in 20 years, but this might be the one (slight) exception. From what I know, the 80s were considered largely "uncool" in the early-mid 90s, and the 70s were what most people reminisced on (hence Dazed and Confused).

However, around 1997 or so, the 80s starting slowly becoming nostalgic. There were 80s revival movies like Wedding Singer or Grosse Point Blank, radio stations started having "80s luncheons", and Presidents of the United States did their own cover of "Video Killed the Radio Star". Also, I know it's just one game, but some have commented that the songs in Sonic Adventure (made in 1998) sound like a revival of 80s metal.

Am I getting this right here, or is it wrong? Of course, the 80s didn't become "fully cool" until 2000, just like we're obsessed with the 90s now.

Subject: Re: 80s mini-revival in the late 90s?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/20/15 at 7:22 pm

My high school had an 80's day in 1998. Take that for what you will.

I started noticing 80's nostalgia by time 1996/1997 rolled around.

Also, Animal House came out in 1978 and that movie takes place in 1962. Ready, Steady Go by Generation X came out the same year and that song is very much nostalgic towards the 60's so it's not always in 20 year cycles.

Subject: Re: 80s mini-revival in the late 90s?

Written By: #Infinity on 10/20/15 at 9:56 pm

The millennial era was about the time 80s-style arena rock and heavy metal were once again accepted in the mainstream after grunge died out. Journey had their first top 20 hit in a decade as the late 90s dawned (with Steve Perry back on vocals), Aerosmith eventually abandoned their alternative influences from Get a Grip and Nine Lives with their new songs from the Armageddon soundtrack, Kiss returned to their classic style and revived their classic masks for the first time since 1982, Def Leppard released Euphoria, Iron Maiden came back with Brave New World, and Bon Jovi released It's My Life, an actual headbanger nearly as famous as their mid-late 80s output. Even the teen pop artists of the day, like Backstreey Boys and Britney Spears, took at least some cues from late 80s teen pop like New Kids on the Block, Debbie Gibson, and Rick Astley with their in-your-face style and cutesy image. All these little nods to the 80s grew throughout the late 90s, then peaked in 2000, before receding as the early 2000s style came into full effect, with other forms of 80s nostalgia (primarily mid-late 80s instead of mostly early 80s) emerged around 2003.

Check for new replies or respond here...