inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Disney Renaissance Film?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/20/15 at 10:47 pm

Since This is a 90's thread what wouldn't be a better topic than the juggernaut Disney films of the 90's  :D :

For me personally my favorite is Beauty and The Beast. Perfect balance of romance, character development, action, great villain, dynamic characters, the revolution change where 'Prince Charming didn't get the girl', etc.

I could watch that movie over and over again and never get bored

Subject: Re: Favorite Disney Renaissance Film?

Written By: #Infinity on 10/21/15 at 1:06 am

In order from favorite to least favorite:

1. Mulan - This has some of the best and underrated music in the story, and was really what made me fascinated with Asia in the first place.  A great, powerful story that really speaks to an important message in today's evolving society.

2. The Little Mermaid - In my opinion, the best-animated Disney feature aside from the two Fantasia movies.  It also has great songs, outstanding direction, and a story that resonates heavily with me personally, even though I can understand why some others take issue with it.

3. Beauty and the Beast - The soundtrack here is more off-colour than usual for Disney, but it's just as charming.  The story and characters are among the most fleshed-out, even with the usual traits of a family film.

4. The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Despite the obvious mandatory Disneyfications made to the original story, this film is still quite astounding.

5. Hercules - This has the edginess of a comedy but simultaneously a plot and universe that feel epic.  It's a fun ride from beginning to end.

6. The Rescuers Down Under - Definitely one of Disney's funniest and best-directed films, even without particularly heavy themes or story.

7. The Lion King - This one is a bit overrated, in my opinion.  I feel more sensitive to the stereotypes represented here than most other Disney features because they subliminally enforce the supremacy of archetypal young, traditional male individuals over all other types of people.  Even positive side characters such as Rafiki and Timone & Pumba seem relegated to fairly submissive roles in the film, with only Mufasa's ghost truly influencing Simba to come full circle.  I can't call this movie bad because it has some amazing animation, as well as some great songs and a solid plot, but I guess I just have more difficulty relating to it than I do with The Little Mermaid and Mulan.

8. Aladdin - This one doesn't really make that much of an impact on me, and yet it's hard for me to point out exactly why.  It could just be that most of the characters aren't that interesting.  Jafar is one of the blandest and most overrated Disney villains in my opinion, and while Aladdin and Jasmine are decent, they're still far from my favorite Disney leads.  The Robin Williams Genie is entertaining, but he pretty much dominates the entire film and as a result starts to feel overexposed much of the time.  I think the plot tends to drag at times, too.  While this movie has a great message and a reasonable execution of it, I guess it's just not for me personally.

9. Tarzan - I never understood all the praise this movie got.  It frankly feels more like a post-Renaissance Disney flick to me than a Renaissance one, especially since it has Phil Collins singing all of the songs as opposed the film being a musical; the only reason I can attribute to its Renaissance status is its box office success, even though Fantasia 2000, The Emperor's New Groove, and even Dinosaur are all better movies, at least in my opinion.  I enjoy the character Jane here, but nothing else stands out to me at all.  The villain is generic, the side characters dry, and even the plot ends up seeming really corny to me.

10. Pocahontas - This film has one single thing going for it, and that is the musical and visual sequence to Colours of the Wind.  That there is one of the most groundbreaking 3 and a half minutes across the entire Disney canon.  Other than that, however, yawn.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/21/15 at 12:08 pm

My top 5.

1. The Lion King
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Aladdin
4. The Little Mermaid
5. Pocahontas

Tarzan is usually considered the last film of the Renaissance era but I agree it feels more like a post-Renaissance film.  I never cared for Hercules or the Rescuers Down Under.  Mulan was enjoyable but not super memorable.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/21/15 at 1:19 pm

1. The Lion King
2. The Beauty & the Beast
3. Mulan
4. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
5. Hercules

For an honorable mention even though it's not a movie, I also loved The Lion King's spin-off series, "Timon & Pumba" as well! I used to watch it on Toon Disney all the time when I was little, and matter of fact Toon Disney did play a lot of those Renaissance movies from time to time back during its prime. I think it was called "Friday Night Movie" and "Double Feature Friday", then "Big Movie Show", something like that.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/21/15 at 3:04 pm

Beauty and the beast, The Lion King, and Mulan. Awesome movies.

Maybe even Tarzan, from 1999/2000.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/21/15 at 4:58 pm

1. Aladdin (1992)
2. The Little Mermaid (1989)
3. Beauty and the Beast (1991)

^The order for these is nearly interchangeable as I watched all 3 frequently growing up. A friend of mine on another website once summed it up that these 3 follow a similar formula involving love and magic that make them great.

4. Hercules (1997) -- This one comes close to the legacy of my top 3 but just seemed to be lacking something story-wise. I still really like it though. "Go the Distance" is a great song too.

5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) -- Out of all the movies in the Renaissance era, this one seems to be the least frequently referenced (excluding The Rescuers Down Under). It's an underrated gem though. It's awfully dark for a Disney movie as it explores themes of lust, religious persecution, damnation, and the like. It all went over my head when I was a 6 year old, but when I watched it again years later, I found it pretty awe-inspiring.

6. Pocahontas (1995) -- This one is kind of nostalgic for me because it's one of the first movies I remember seeing in theaters. I can see why some people think this one is boring, but you gotta appreciate the unique fact that it's the only Disney movie based on a real historical person. As someone else mentioned, "Colors of the Wind" and the accompanying animated sequence are truly phenomenal.

7. The Lion King (1994) -- This tends to be a lot of peoples' favorite, but I honestly thought it was kind of overrated.

8. Tarzan (1999) -- It was just okay to me. Worth watching like any Disney movie from this era.

9. Mulan (1998) -- I haven't seen this one more than once or twice so I barely remember it, but I wasn't crazy about it when it was first released.

10. The Rescuers Down Under (1990) -- I have actually never seen this so it is last by default. In my defense, it seems to lack the critical acclaim and legacy of the other 9 and sometimes it isn't even included in the Renaissance era at all.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/21/15 at 5:03 pm

Did anyone else think "The Princess and the Frog" fit in decently with this era despite being released a decade after it ended?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/21/15 at 5:39 pm

1. The Lion King
2. Aladdin
3. Beauty and the Beast

Nuff said!!!!! :D

4. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

5. Hercules

6. Mulan

7. The Little Mermaid

8. Tarzan

9. The Rescuers Down Under

10. Pocahontas

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/21/15 at 5:40 pm

Did anyone else think "The Princess and the Frog" fit in decently with this era despite being released a decade after it ended?

Honestly, I remember as a kid I ALWAYS thought that Fantasia 2000 was a renaissance film, no joke!!

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/21/15 at 6:02 pm

The Princess and The Frog is definitely underrated. The Disney audience is already too used to Eurasian princesses. I bet even Tangled has a higher rating. Its too late. Not to say Princess and The Frog isn't a good movie. Its just that Disney should have left it alone. That's how serious it is.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/21/15 at 6:11 pm

The Princess and The Frog is definitely underrated. The Disney audience is already too used to Eurasian princesses. I bet even Tangled has a higher rating. Its too late. Not to say Princess and The Frog isn't a good movie. Its just that Disney should have left it alone. That's how serious it is.

I agree with everything you said, I felt the same way about Princess and the Frog as well, matter of fact, it's a shame that it fell out of my head while I was on this thread originally.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/21/15 at 6:21 pm

I might make my own thread, Favorite early 2000s Disney film!

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/21/15 at 6:45 pm

Beauty and the Beast is definitely my favorite.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is quite underrated.

Hercules is fun to watch while drinking.  :D

Written By: bchris02 on 10/22/15 at 12:35 am

I think the Hunchback of Notre Dame is probably the most underrated film of the renaissance era.  You never hear anybody talk about it these days. 

The 2000s are widely considered the post-renaissance era for Disney.  While there were some successes during that era such as Lilo and Stitch, there were a lot of flops.  The animated features released during that era were widely regarded as inferior to those released in the '90s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/22/15 at 12:48 am

I think the Hunchback of Notre Dame is probably the most underrated film of the renaissance era.  You never hear anybody talk about it these days. 

The 2000s are widely considered the post-renaissance era for Disney.  While there were some successes during that era such as Lilo and Stitch, there were a lot of flops.  The animated features released during that era were widely regarded as inferior to those released in the '90s.

Yeah, during the 2000s we saw the Disney sequels and post renaissance films, such as Dinosaur, Emperors New Groove, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, and Atlantis the Lost Empire. What were your thoughts on the early 2000s Disney movies?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/22/15 at 9:33 am

Yeah, during the 2000s we saw the Disney sequels and post renaissance films, such as Dinosaur, Emperors New Groove, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, and Atlantis the Lost Empire. What were your thoughts on the early 2000s Disney movies?

During the early 2000s I was going through a phase where I was "too cool" for things like Disney so I don't have a lot of first-hand knowledge of the movies themselves.  I will say I don't remember them having the cultural impact that they did in the '90s, or that Disney currently has with movies like Frozen and Big Hero 6.  The exception to that is Lilo & Stitch and the Emperors New Groove, both of which were pretty popular.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/22/15 at 9:40 am

During the early 2000s I was going through a phase where I was "too cool" for things like Disney so I don't have a lot of first-hand knowledge of the movies themselves.  I will say I don't remember them having the cultural impact that they did in the '90s, or that Disney currently has with movies like Frozen and Big Hero 6.  The exception to that is Lilo & Stitch and the Emperors New Groove, both of which were pretty popular.

I saw Lilo & Stitch in theaters back when I was 6, and it was awesome to me! I was 14 in 2010 and that's the last year I ever watched kid movies in the movie theater. For Disney I watched Tangled and Toy Story 3, and for Dreamworks I watched Shrek: Happily Ever After and Megamind. I enjoyed all of those movies except the last Shrek one.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/22/15 at 4:51 pm

The problem for me personally might have been my age, but really I think the main issue was mostly just that the 2000s were a very weak decade for the studio in general.  On top of abandoning the traditional musical format after Mulan until 2009, Disney released a lot of films that were either trying too hard to appear modern and cutting edge, or were just straight-up forgettable.  Pop culture was evolving, but the changes Disney made to its animated features ended up backfiring to the point that 2D films were eventually discontinued.  Also, Pixar's Golden Age was very much in full swing by the time Monsters Inc. came out in late 2001, while Shrek and Ice Age expanded upon CG animated films even further in the early 2000s.  Once Disney finally released Home on the Range in 2004, I was just like, "Seriously?"  The Disney Animated Studios' transition into 3D did not yet help matters, as the three CG movies they released in the 2000s were just as forgettable as the post-Renaissance movies (Chicken Little is even worse than Home on the Range, imo).  Growing up, I distinctly remember hardly enjoying any new Disney films after Mulan besides Fantasia 2000 and The Emperor's New Groove, while simultaneously loving Shrek, Ice Age, Monsters Inc., Toy Story 2, and Finding Nemo.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/22/15 at 5:03 pm

The problem for me personally might have been my age, but really I think the main issue was mostly just that the 2000s were a very weak decade for the studio in general.  On top of abandoning the traditional musical format after Mulan until 2009, Disney released a lot of films that were either trying too hard to appear modern and cutting edge, or were just straight-up forgettable.  Pop culture was evolving, but the changes Disney made to its animated features ended up backfiring to the point that 2D films were eventually discontinued.  Also, Pixar's Golden Age was very much in full swing by the time Monsters Inc. came out in late 2001, while Shrek and Ice Age expanded upon CG animated films even further in the early 2000s.  Once Disney finally released Home on the Range in 2004, I was just like, "Seriously?"  The Disney Animated Studios' transition into 3D did not yet help matters, as the three CG movies they released in the 2000s were just as forgettable as the post-Renaissance movies (Chicken Little is even worse than Home on the Range, imo).  Growing up, I distinctly remember hardly enjoying any new Disney films after Mulan besides Fantasia 2000 and The Emperor's New Groove, while simultaneously loving Shrek, Ice Age, Monsters Inc., Toy Story 2, and Finding Nemo.

Agree with this.

Shrek, Ice Age, Finding Nemo, etc were cultural icons during the 2000s.  They were everywhere and were to the '00s what films like the Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Mulan were to the 90s.  You didn't have to be a child to be exposed to them.  Most Disney animated classics during the '00s were forgettable. 

Personally, I think the Emperor's New Groove was the only post-Renaissance era Disney film to come close to making the impact Renaissance-era films did.  I remember it being pretty popular, though I never saw it.  Was it a musical?

Written By: #Infinity on 10/22/15 at 5:49 pm

Personally, I think the Emperor's New Groove was the only post-Renaissance era Disney film to come close to making the impact Renaissance-era films did.  I remember it being pretty popular, though I never saw it.  Was it a musical?

It has one song at the beginning sung by a Tom Jones-voiced character, as well as a brief vocals-only happy birthday number and an original song by Sting during the credits, but otherwise, no. The Emperor's New Groove is about as much of a musical as the films from the Disney Dark Age of the 70s and 80s like Robin Hood and The Great Mouse Detective were.

Surprisingly, The Emperor's New Groove was pretty unsuccessful at the box office, grossing only $169 million against a budget of $100 million.  The highest a post-Renaissance movie ever made (not counting the live action/CG-animated Dinosaur) was Lilo & Stitch's $273.1 million.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/22/15 at 5:59 pm

The animation style for Tangled and Frozen are too modern for them to fit in with the renaissance imo, even though they were both princess movies.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/22/15 at 10:19 pm

I feel like what the cutting edge (at the time) Dreamworks films were to us 2000's kids what the cutting edge Disney Ren Films were to 1990's kids. The only difference was that Disney was already an established company and they were coming back from a dark age while Dreamworks was an all new company trying to get their hand dirty. But one thing that makes those two companies had in common were the new innovations that those two companies brought in their respected decades.

For instance, I always saw The Lion King (1994) the 90's equivalent to Shrek 2 (2004). Now keep in mind I am not saying that these two films were similar, but what Disney brought to the table with the Lion King, love it or hate it, was truly innovating. The soundtrack, the characters, the storyline, the atmosphere, the animation, etc. It truly put animated movies on the same plane of respect we see them today.

The same could be said with Shrek 2, which was hands down the quintessential Shrek experience, and probably one of the most quintessential 2000's animated movies. You had dynamic (and hillarous) characters, an interesting and gritty atmosphere, great CGI animation, a good plot, great writing, etc. Its basically what killed off the traditional 2d era of animation and brought CGI into the forefront as the standard in animated movies.

I could go on and on, but growing up in the 2000's with the Dreamworks films and having older sisters born in the 80's introducing me to the 90's Disney's films, this is just how I always felt personally. I also think we are currently in a new Disney Rennaisaince, and the Dreamworks and Pixar studios, while still good, are not the dominant animated companies since Disney has bounced back so thats why you see much more sequels from known franchises in their respected companies.

But this is just my little theory, your entitled to your own

Written By: 80sfan on 10/22/15 at 11:45 pm

Anastasia

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/22/15 at 11:47 pm

Anastasia

NOT a Disney film!!! ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/22/15 at 11:48 pm

I feel like what the cutting edge (at the time) Dreamworks films were to us 2000's kids what the cutting edge Disney Ren Films were to 1990's kids. The only difference was that Disney was already an established company and they were coming back from a dark age while Dreamworks was an all new company trying to get their hand dirty. But one thing that makes those two companies had in common were the new innovations that those two companies brought in their respected decades.

For instance, I always saw The Lion King (1994) the 90's equivalent to Shrek 2 (2004). Now keep in mind I am not saying that these two films were similar, but what Disney brought to the table with the Lion King, love it or hate it, was truly innovating. The soundtrack, the characters, the storyline, the atmosphere, the animation, etc. It truly put animated movies on the same plane of respect we see them today.

The same could be said with Shrek 2, which was hands down the quintessential Shrek experience, and probably one of the most quintessential 2000's animated movies. You had dynamic (and hillarous) characters, an interesting and gritty atmosphere, great CGI animation, a good plot, great writing, etc. Its basically what killed off the traditional 2d era of animation and brought CGI into the forefront as the standard in animated movies.

I could go on and on, but growing up in the 2000's with the Dreamworks films and having older sisters born in the 80's introducing me to the 90's Disney's films, this is just how I always felt personally. I also think we are currently in a new Disney Rennaisaince, and the Dreamworks and Pixar studios, while still good, are not the dominant animated companies since Disney has bounced back so thats why you see much more sequels from known franchises in their respected companies.

I disgaree man, Dreamworks was cool, but Pixar was THE animated studios during that decade! BY FAR!!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/22/15 at 11:51 pm

NOT a Disney film!!! ;D

It isn't?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/22/15 at 11:52 pm

I could go on and on, but growing up in the 2000's with the Dreamworks films and having older sisters born in the 80's introducing me to the 90's Disney's films, this is just how I always felt personally.

Wait your older sisters introduced you to the 90s Disney film? ???  I started collecting the vhs tapes in like 1998. The renaissance was going on in that point.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/22/15 at 11:57 pm

It isn't?

Nope, it's a 20th century fox animated film!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/15 at 12:00 am

Nope, it's a 20th century fox animated film!

OK.  ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 10/23/15 at 12:33 am

Completely agree with this.

The 2000s were mostly a dark time for Disney but they weren't for animated feature films.  Dreamworks and Pixar both put out a lot of excellent animated films during the decade.  Ice Age, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Wall-E, Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar, etc were to you guys what Disney Ren films were to us '90s kids.

I also agree that Disney has bounced back.  Frozen finally surpassed the Lion King as the highest grossing Disney animated feature of all time.  Disney's mistake during the '00s was moving away from the Broadway formula that made them so successful during the Renaissance era.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/23/15 at 12:37 am

Anastasia

Anastasia wasn't Disney but it followed the Disney Renaissance formula so well I've heard a lot of people mistake it for being Disney.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/23/15 at 5:40 am

Wait your older sisters introduced you to the 90s Disney film? ???  I started collecting the vhs tapes in like 1998. The renaissance was going on in that point.

Well I personally remember watching Mulan & Hercules on vhs when I was 3. Plus Tarzan when it came came onto VHS in 2000.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/23/15 at 1:34 pm

I agree with the consensus here that "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" is perhaps the most underrated animated film of the '90s. Maybe it was because some critics thought it was too "dark" for a Disney film, or because it was coming right on the heels of that ridiculous run of Renaissance films over the previous five years, but "Hunchback" just sort of faded into obscurity within a year or two after it came out.

Interestingly enough, I actually had a copy of "Hunchback" on VHS as a kid, but I didn't really like it that much back then. I always thought it was too boring because of it's somewhat slow pacing. It was really not until I just happened to rewatch the tape again years later when I was a teenager that I realized how amazing it was. Now I'd probably list "Hunchback" as my favorite movie of the Renaissance era, even over "The Lion King" which was my favorite as a kid.

On the other point, yeah, Disney was pretty atrocious in the 2000's. If memory serves I believe that both "Atlantis" and "Treasure Planet" were back to back box office flops in the early '00s, which really got the whole decade started off on a bad foot for the company.

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/23/15 at 2:22 pm

I agree with the consensus here that "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" is perhaps the most underrated animated film of the '90s. Maybe it was because some critics thought it was too "dark" for a Disney film, or because it was coming right on the heels of that ridiculous run of Renaissance films over the previous five years, but "Hunchback" just sort of faded into obscurity within a year or two after it came out.

Interestingly enough, I actually had a copy of "Hunchback" on VHS as a kid, but I didn't really like it that much back then. I always thought it was too boring because of it's somewhat slow pacing. It was really not until I just happened to rewatch the tape again years later when I was a teenager that I realized how amazing it was. Now I'd probably list "Hunchback" as my favorite movie of the Renaissance era, even over "The Lion King" which was my favorite as a kid.

On the other point, yeah, Disney was pretty atrocious in the 2000's. If memory serves I believe that both "Atlantis" and "Treasure Planet" were back to back box office flops in the early '00s, which really got the whole decade started off on a bad foot for the company.

Hunchback came a year after Pocahontas, which really dropped the ball for Disney considering The Lion King from just a year before was probably their biggest hit to date.

I don't think Hunchback was dark as much as it just had more mature themes for a Disney animated movie. Maybe people thought it was a bit jarring and that contributed to its underperformance? I'm just throwing hypotheses out there.  ::)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/23/15 at 3:09 pm

Hunchback came a year after Pocahontas, which really dropped the ball for Disney considering The Lion King from just a year before was probably their biggest hit to date.

I don't think Hunchback was dark as much as it just had more mature themes for a Disney animated movie. Maybe people thought it was a bit jarring and that contributed to its underperformance? I'm just throwing hypotheses out there.  ::)

I don't really see "Hunchback" as being particularly dark either, but I distinctly recall it being perceived that way at the time. The Wikipedia page gets into the controversy surrounding the movie pretty well, including the boycotts that some religious groups called for.

Looking into it a bit further, "Hunchback" actually did better at the box office than I thought. It debuted at #2, and finished the year with a $325 million worldwide gross, which made it the fifth highest grossing movie of 1996. It's kind of odd that it is so often considered a "flop" these days despite performing relatively well. I can only guess that's due to the long shadow cast by "The Lion King", which "Pocahontas", as you mentioned, also suffered from in '95.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/23/15 at 4:23 pm

Hunchback wasn't a flop, it just isn't as well remembered as other Renaissance-era films.  Pocahontas gets a lot of criticism these days but in the summer of 1995 you could hardly avoid it.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/27/15 at 10:08 pm

Hunchback wasn't a flop, it just isn't as well remembered as other Renaissance-era films.  Pocahontas gets a lot of criticism these days but in the summer of 1995 you could hardly avoid it.

Lol that is true!

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 10/28/15 at 4:21 pm

Some of my favorite Disney Renessaince films as a child were The Rescuers Down Under, the little mermaid, Aladdin, and The Lion King. I think The Rescuers Down Under were relatively underrated and relatively less recognized than the other three films and may not be as well remembered by some.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/28/15 at 7:28 pm

Some of my favorite Disney Renessaince films as a child were The Rescuers Down Under, the little mermaid, Aladdin, and The Lion King. I think The Rescuers Down Under were relatively underrated and relatively less recognized than the other three films and may not be as well remembered by some.

Dont kill me, but I never seen the Rescuers  :\'(

One day I will though

Written By: bchris02 on 10/28/15 at 7:41 pm

I remember the Rescuers Down Under.  I am not sure why, but I didn't like that one very well, even as a kid.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/31/15 at 11:06 pm

I'm astonished I didn't answer but anyways my favorites in order are:

1. Beauty & The Beast (1991)

2. Aladdin (1992)

3. The Lion King (1994)

4. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)

5. The Little Mermaid (1989)

6. Tarzan (1999)

7. Mulan (1998)

8. Hercules (1997)

9. Pocahontas (1995)

10. Rescuers Down Under - placeholder for the movie I have yet to have seen (1990)

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 11/01/15 at 6:20 am

Dont kill me, but I never seen the Rescuers  :\'(

One day I will though
You're not the only one ;)

I remember the Rescuers Down Under.  I am not sure why, but I didn't like that one very well, even as a kid.
The Rescuers Down Under was actually my favorite of the four. ;D

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/01/15 at 12:34 pm

Since This is a 90's thread what wouldn't be a better topic than the juggernaut Disney films of the 90's  :D :

For me personally my favorite is Beauty and The Beast. Perfect balance of romance, character development, action, great villain, dynamic characters, the revolution change where 'Prince Charming didn't get the girl', etc.

I could watch that movie over and over again and never get bored

The best Disney Renaissance films of the '90s were obviously the ones from the HW Bush era.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/01/15 at 2:49 pm

The best Disney Renaissance films of the '90s were obviously the ones from the HW Bush era.

Umm...

The Lion King?

Written By: mqg96 on 11/01/15 at 8:03 pm

I'll admit I give you this one on the trash talk. Aladdin and Beauty & the Beast are kinda superior to later ones like Pocahontas or Tarzan. All of the movies are still great IMO. Although Lion King is definitely better than The Rescuers Down Under though.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/01/15 at 9:20 pm

Umm...

The Lion King?

The Kimba: White Lion knock-off? No thanks.

Written By: popguru85 on 11/02/15 at 1:25 am

beauty And The Beast
The Lion King
Aladdin
The Little Mermaid
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hercules
Mulan
Tarzan

If we're including Pixar.....
Put Toy Story after Lion King and Bug's Life after Hunchback, and Toy Story 2 after Hercules

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/02/15 at 9:53 pm

I'll admit I give you this one on the trash talk. Aladdin and Beauty & the Beast are kinda superior to later ones like Pocahontas or Tarzan. All of the movies are still great IMO. Although Lion King is definitely better than The Rescuers Down Under though.

This.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/03/15 at 4:57 am

The Kimba: White Lion knock-off? No thanks.

Lol. Well you got a point there. My all time favorites are The Little Mermaid, Beaty and the Beast and Aladdin. Lion King, while a tab bit overrated, is still very good and Hunchback is very underrated

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/03/15 at 4:58 am

Also is it just me or did anybody else notice that 1993 was the only year in the 90's to not have a major renaissance film?

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/03/15 at 8:04 am

Also is it just me or did anybody else notice that 1993 was the only year in the 90's to not have a major renaissance film?

That was because all Renaissance films released starting with the Lion King were summer releases, while the earlier ones were holiday season releases. The Lion King was an important film and the extra time devoted was what made what many believe to be the strongest film of the period.

My favorite are Aladdin, The Lion King, and Hercules. The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Mulan are others I enjoy as well. The Rescuers Down Under was fine, but if Tarzan feels like a post-Renaissance film to some, to me this feels like a post-Dark Age film. Still, it had all of the great animation and fantasy typical of a Renaissance film and is generally accepted as such, and is a good example why a Renaissance-era film doesn't have to be a musical. It also was the first to use animation exclusively on computers. Pocahontas just feels a bit off and while not a bad film, the story just doesn't move you in a way the others do. By the time Tarzan came out, I was getting ready for high school and viewed that as "For kids". Looking back, given superior live-action classic versions of Tarzan, this falls a bit short compared to the other films and is the weakest of the bunch.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/04/15 at 9:17 am

I remember going to the theaters see Aladdin at the start of that year. The Aladdin VHS with the edited opening theme was released in '93, also. The Aladdin series came out one year later, so I'd say that Aladdin was a mid '90s phenomenon born in the last year of the early '90s, 1992.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/04/15 at 9:42 am

I remember going to the theaters see Aladdin at the start of that year. The Aladdin VHS with the edited opening theme was released in '93, also. The Aladdin series came out one year later, so I'd say that Aladdin was a mid '90s phenomenon born in the last year of the early '90s, 1992.

The Nightmare Before Christmas was originally supposed to be one; however, Disney found the film to be too weird and dark, so it ended up being made and released by Touchstone instead. I found this info on an article called Mental Floss. That's an interesting fact many people are not aware of.

Check for new replies or respond here...