inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sum up the 90's in 10 words or less!

Written By: muppethammer26 on 11/01/15 at 8:53 pm

You can say anything about the 90's, but it has to be 10 words or less.

Subject: Re: Sum up the 90's in 10 words or less!

Written By: Ripley on 11/01/15 at 9:03 pm

Totally fly and a bag of chips!

Written By: #Infinity on 11/01/15 at 9:12 pm

Colorful, casual, cutting-edge, fast-paced, diverse and optimistic.

Written By: gibbo on 11/01/15 at 9:21 pm

The most boring, unoriginal, unimaginative, talentless decade ever!  There you go ... less than 10 words. I could have slipped in a couple more descriptive words ... but I didn't want to appear too negative!  ;)

Only people who grew up in this decade think otherwise. But that's only because they don't know any better!  It's hilarious watching the many threads discussing and dissecting this decade (almost as if it's relevant and interesting).  ;D        Okay ... now I'm just getting mean.  :-\\

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/01/15 at 9:32 pm

The '90s were great at first, went downhill in 1993.

Written By: gibbo on 11/01/15 at 10:13 pm

The '90s were great at first, went downhill in 1993.

That was just the 80's hangover.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/01/15 at 10:21 pm

My childhood sang its swan song.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/01/15 at 10:36 pm

That was just the 80's hangover.

The '80s were the decade when everyone was leaving 1977 and headed towards the year 1990. They don't really have an identity other than that one.

The year 1990 was the end of the late '80s culturally (i.e. - The final 21 Jump Street episode with Johnny Depp in it, Gremlins 2, the last new Real Ghostbusters action figures by Kenner),start of the early '90s (Turtlemania, both men and women wore biker shorts, and Macaulay Culkin rose to fame), and the first year of the '90s decade overall (the GPS was introduced/Law and Order premiered).

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/01/15 at 11:03 pm

Only people who grew up in this decade think otherwise. But that's only because they don't know any better! 

I concur with that statement wholeheartedly. I hate the touchy-feely '90s (Clinton years).

Written By: Syn on 11/02/15 at 2:49 am

Alternative music, golden TV, and Clinton.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/02/15 at 6:16 am

Oh, it's the guy from city-data forum (I'm Borntoolate85 there BTW, which would have been more appropriate of a username here anyways),

And I don't get the "leaving 1977" because that year, 1978, and the first half of 1979 were the pure "disco era". I can see leaving 1979 and arriving at 1990 to describe "the eighties", but not any earlier or later. 1977 had the premiere Three's Company, the peak of the Farrah do, Saturday Night Fever, Jimmy Carter being inagurated as president, and Studio 54 opening up for crying out loud. 

My words:

Popular trends:
Grungy, Rachel, Clueless, Pogs, Microsoft, Sega, Pagers, Eurodance, Mariah, Seinfeld

Birth of the global village amid gangsta rappers and Rachels.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/02/15 at 8:35 am

The most boring, unoriginal, unimaginative, talentless decade ever!  There you go ... less than 10 words. I could have slipped in a couple more descriptive words ... but I didn't want to appear too negative!  ;)

Only people who grew up in this decade think otherwise. But that's only because they don't know any better!  It's hilarious watching the many threads discussing and dissecting this decade (almost as if it's relevant and interesting).  ;D        Okay ... now I'm just getting mean.  :-\\

I like the 90's and everything but I agree with some of what you're saying. I don't even think it's people who grew up during it. Some kids (not an attack on all kids, though just the really dumb types) romanticize the era and act like they know everything about it when they hardly lived through it (if at all) and then tell you you're wrong about the decade you were a teen in!

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/02/15 at 8:57 am

Oh, it's the guy from city-data forum (I'm Borntoolate85 there BTW, which would have been more appropriate of a username here anyways),

And I don't get the "leaving 1977" because that year, 1978, and the first half of 1979 were the pure "disco era". I can see leaving 1979 and arriving at 1990 to describe "the eighties", but not any earlier or later. 1977 had the premiere Three's Company, the peak of the Farrah do, Saturday Night Fever, Jimmy Carter being inagurated as president, and Studio 54 opening up for crying out loud. 

My words:

Popular trends:
Grungy, Rachel, Clueless, Pogs, Microsoft, Sega, Pagers, Eurodance, Mariah, Seinfeld

I do not have an account on city-data forum. I have never been on that site.

I was basically saying that 1978 was the first year of the 1980s in my second post. That's my view and I'm sticking by it.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/02/15 at 2:03 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with you there, but apparently, according to TheEarly90sGuy, Star Wars and Garfield were the definitive trends of the 1980s, due to all the ripoffs they produced (even though the same can be said for things from, say, '81 like Indiana Jones and the first MTV bands).  Even though both franchises are still around today, and the last of the original Star Wars Trilogy movies came out in May 1983, they were somehow indications back in 1978 that society was "headed for" 1990 (aka TheEarly90sGuy's favorite year), with all present trends like Saturday Night Fever, Carter, etc. being of no significance.

My words:

Popular trends:

Well, according to TheEarly90sGuy, the 90s were all about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, as well as anything else that came out or peaked in 1990.

Written By: Howard on 11/02/15 at 3:01 pm

Snow, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Seinfeld, WWF Attitude Era, Saved By The Bell

Written By: d90 on 11/02/15 at 3:26 pm

The era of Pokemon,Simpsons,Gameboy, Windows 9x and post Coldwar,pre 911 days

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/02/15 at 4:22 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with you there, but apparently, according to TheEarly90sGuy, Star Wars and Garfield were the definitive trends of the 1980s, due to all the ripoffs they produced (even though the same can be said for things from, say, '81 like Indiana Jones and the first MTV bands).  Even though both franchises are still around today, and the last of the original Star Wars Trilogy movies came out in May 1983, they were somehow indications back in 1978 that society was "headed for" 1990 (aka TheEarly90sGuy's favorite year), with all present trends like Saturday Night Fever, Carter, etc. being of no significance.

Well, according to TheEarly90sGuy, the 90s were all about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, as well as anything else that came out or peaked in 1990.

I agree with you guys. What TheEarly90sGuy said that people were "headed for" 1990 in 1978 made no sense because first of all, the 90s were further in the future at that time and the 70s had not even ended yet either. In addition, he's making it seem like he was there to witness everything when he wasn't at all. How could he know that people were ready for the 1990s when the 1980s itself haven't even arrived yet at the time?

I do not have an account on city-data forum. I have never been on that site.
yelimsexa's correct. you do have one. I've seen your posts on that site and it's the same as the ones on here.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/02/15 at 11:35 pm

Snow, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Seinfeld, WWF Attitude Era, Saved By The Bell

I would have said WWF vs WCW. But to each his own! ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/02/15 at 11:38 pm

Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Michael Jordan, Nintendo vs SEGA , WWF vs WCW, Bill Clinton

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/03/15 at 7:31 am

Flannel, Grunge, Rap, Seinfeld, Super Nintendo, Bill Clinton, Starbucks, 'Extreme!'

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/03/15 at 7:57 am

'78 and '79 was not like all of the other years of the '70s. The culture of the '81-'84 era was coming in and much of it seeped into the '90s. Dallas premiered in '78 and went off the air in 1991, for example.

People were still going to rollerskating rinks on Friday nights in 1990. '78 was not too distant from 1990 in reality, just on the timeline.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were around from the beginning of the decade to the end, but they were not a hit with children of the mid and late '90s like they were with early 'Yers in the spring of 1990.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/03/15 at 8:15 am

I agree with you guys. What TheEarly90sGuy said that people were "headed for" 1990 in 1978 made no sense because first of all, the 90s were further in the future at that time and the 70s had not even ended yet either. In addition, he's making it seem like he was there to witness everything when he wasn't at all. How could he know that people were ready for the 1990s when the 1980s itself haven't even arrived yet at the time?

You agree with them?

Nothing surprising about that. ::)

It made no sense to you because you weren't alive in the '70s and/or '80s!!!

You don't even know what the '80s are, so how can you speak on them?! Please explain that to me.

yelimsexa's correct. you do have one. I've seen your posts on that site and it's the same as the ones on here.

You're getting ahead of yourself here. How can you tell me what I have when you aren't me?!!! >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/03/15 at 10:47 am

Biased, lame, terrible pop music and O.J Simpson

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/03/15 at 1:23 pm

You agree with them?

Nothing surprising about that. ::)

It made no sense to you because you weren't alive in the '70s and/or '80s!!!

You don't even know what the '80s are, so how can you speak on them?! Please explain that to me.

You're getting ahead of yourself here. How can you tell me what I have when you aren't me?!!! >:(

Actually, it's you! ::) You're getting ahead of yourself because you said that 1978 was the first year of the 80s and that people were headed for 1990. Once again, it makes no sense as the 90s were further in the future and that the 70s haven't even ended yet at that time either. BTW, you weren't there as much either and you can't even remember much of the early 80s as you think you can. Also, you are a fraud as you're not backing your claims.

And I do know what the 80s are. There were many subcultures and subtle things from that decade that I can talk about. It's speculating.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/03/15 at 1:24 pm

You can say anything about the 90's, but it has to be 10 words or less.

The time when early 2000s pop culture institutions were being born.

Of course, the 1999 sequels to movies like Toy Story and Candyman only helped to cheapen the stories to the first films for most people. Then again, there is nothing like the first time when it comes to anything, really.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/03/15 at 1:35 pm

Actually, it's you! ::) You're getting ahead of yourself because you said that 1978 was the first year of the 80s and that people were headed for 1990. Once again, it makes no sense as the 90s were further in the future and that the 70s haven't even ended yet at that time either. BTW, you weren't there as much either and you can't even remember much of the early 80s as you think you can. Also, you are a fraud as you're not backing your claims.

And I do know what the 80s are. There were many subcultures and subtle things from that decade that I can talk about. It's speculating.

Your whole posts reads like this: Ohhhh yeah, well it's YOU who's getting ahead of themselves because .

Mxcrashxm, you only have an idea of what the '80s are from what you read in a book, not from a first-hand account. You obviously aren't an out-of-the-box thinker, either. Please do not take that as an insult.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/03/15 at 1:37 pm

Even though both franchises are still around today, and the last of the original Star Wars Trilogy movies came out in May 1983, they were somehow indications back in 1978 that society was "headed for" 1990 (aka TheEarly90sGuy's favorite year), with all present trends like Saturday Night Fever, Carter, etc. being of no significance.

Carter was president from January 20, 1977 to January 20, 1981, mind you. What was your point?!!!! >:(

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/03/15 at 2:13 pm

Your whole posts reads like this: Ohhhh yeah, well it's YOU who's getting ahead of themselves because .

Mxcrashxm, you only have an idea of what the '80s are from what you read in a book, not from a first-hand account. You obviously aren't an out-of-the-box thinker, either. Please do not take that as an insult.

Actually, I am. I think out-of-the-box much often than you assume. But once again, people can't be ready for the 1990s when the decade before it haven't began yet at all. In 1978, the 90s were 12 years away. People weren't even thinking about that decade at the time.

Written By: Howard on 11/03/15 at 2:30 pm

I would have said WWF vs WCW. But to each his own! ;D

You and I are different, My mind thought of The Attitude Era cause that's what people want back so badly.

Written By: Howard on 11/03/15 at 2:34 pm

Jingle All The Way, Naked Gun, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Home Alone, Clueless

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/03/15 at 2:38 pm

In a positive way:

Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey Jr, Biggie Smalls, Nintendo 64

Written By: muppethammer26 on 11/03/15 at 7:36 pm

Techno, PlayStation 1, Windows 95, Titanic, Toy Story 1/2, Friends

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/03/15 at 8:52 pm

Actually, I am. I think out-of-the-box much often than you assume. But once again, people can't be ready for the 1990s when the decade before it haven't began yet at all. In 1978, the 90s were 12 years away. People weren't even thinking about that decade at the time.

People started inadvertently building for the beginning of the '90s  in 1978.

It's not like David Jacobs (creator of the TV show "Dallas") set out to make a show that would last until 1980 hit. The show "Dallas" was on from 1978 to the spring of 1991. 1990 was the last year when "Dallas" was on from January to December.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/15 at 7:03 am

Tamagotchi, Tickle Me Elmo, Furbies, AOL, Gameboy

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/04/15 at 10:17 am

Body Glove, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Bartmania, HW Bush, Vogue

Written By: Howard on 11/04/15 at 2:46 pm

Vanilla Ice, Gangsta Rap, MC Hammer, Windows 95, Bill Clinton

Written By: 80sfan on 11/06/15 at 10:20 pm

R&B, boom, Kazaam

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/06/15 at 11:00 pm

The time when everything had ATTITUDE.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/15 at 7:20 am

Tamagotchi, Spice Girls, Vanilla Coke, Surge Soda, Fubu

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/25/16 at 10:00 pm

Bubblegum Pop, Grunge, Hip Hop, Late Millennials, Bill Clinton, SNES

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/25/16 at 10:05 pm

N64, Sega Genesis, Nickelodeon Golden Age, Disney Renaissance, and overalls

Written By: Howard on 03/26/16 at 7:13 am

Man Of The House, Baby's Day Out, Kazam, Scream, Monkey Trouble

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 03/27/16 at 3:35 pm

Acid wash cargo jeans, floral print, Lambada, 60s revival, Ducktales

Written By: Howard on 03/27/16 at 3:47 pm

Lizzie McGuire, Tamagotchi, Sega Genesis, Windows 95, Nokia

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/16 at 4:40 pm

ripped jeans, Nirvana, boy bands, Alanis Morissette, Puffy Combs, Lewinsky

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 03/27/16 at 9:08 pm

Garfield and Friends, Paula Abdul, Super Mario, Doogie Howser MD

Written By: Howard on 03/28/16 at 1:46 pm

Furbys, Beanie Babies, beepers, mood rings, The Bop-It

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/28/16 at 3:04 pm

The real 90s:
Grunge, Flannel, Center Parted Hair, Clueless, Alternative Rock

1998/1999:
Pop Punk, Rap Rock/Nu Metal, Chain Wallets, Dickies, Spiky Hair, Hair Bleach

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/28/16 at 8:53 pm

Crystal Pepsi, Clinton, N64, Hip Hop, Rugrats, Simpsons, Film Cameras

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/29/16 at 6:56 am

(The first half of the decade)
Roseanne, Schindler's List, Roundhouse, Singles, American Gladiators, Snap, Michael Bolton
(The second half of the decade)
Internet boom, Bravo card, globalization, UPN Network, Notorious B.I.G, electronica

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/29/16 at 8:21 am

Awesome, classy, original, innovative, talented, timeless, relaxed, emotional, sophisticated, prosperous

Written By: Howard on 03/29/16 at 2:48 pm

Clueless, Soul For Real, The Real World, Spice Girls, Cypress Hill

Written By: preston181 on 04/03/16 at 6:25 pm

Nintendo 64, Arch Deluxe, Friends, Goldeneye, Animaniacs, Savage Garden, AOL.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/16 at 2:31 pm

Britney Spears, Weezer, Spice Girls, La Bouche, Corona

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/04/16 at 5:06 pm

VHS, Compact Cassette, Alternative Rock, Gangsta Rap, Analog Cameras, Eurodance

Written By: Howard on 04/05/16 at 2:25 pm

Bubble Jug, Gameboy, Koosh, Fresh Prince, SIMS

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 04/05/16 at 2:34 pm

Bubble Tape, Skip-it, Crossfire, Blow pops, Nickelodeon, MC Hammer

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/06/16 at 6:47 am

VR Troopers, Beetleborgs, Masked Rider, Ecco, Celine Dion, Northern Exposure

Written By: Howard on 04/06/16 at 3:38 pm

Friends, Full House, Fresh Prince, Boy Meets World, Seinfeld

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 04/07/16 at 4:10 pm

Big Hair, The Wonder Years, Reebok Pumps, Foxtrot, Batman, Urkel

Written By: Howard on 04/08/16 at 8:22 am

Ouch Bubble Gum, Bubble Tape, Warheads, Nestle's Wonder Ball, Whistle Pops

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 04/12/16 at 7:44 pm

Gameboy, Warrant, After 7, Polka Dots, Paisley Shirts, Lambada, Dinosaurs

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/13/16 at 12:59 pm

Political correctness, Jerry Springer, My Giant, Brian McKnight, Coke II

Written By: Howard on 04/13/16 at 2:47 pm

Tamagotchi, Fruit Stripe gum, Furbys, Waldo, Beanie Babies

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 04/13/16 at 6:28 pm

Gremlins 2, The New Adventures of He-Man, Capezio shoes, Op

Written By: Howard on 04/14/16 at 2:36 pm

Steve Urkel, Super Nintendo, Dial-Up, Bop-It, Game Cube

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 04/15/16 at 6:02 pm

The Real Ghostbusters, Dick Tracy, Zelda, Quiksilver, Vision skatewear

Written By: Howard on 04/16/16 at 7:21 am

We're Back, Monkey Trouble, Baby's Day Out, Jungle 2 Jungle, Houseguest

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/19/16 at 7:39 am

Buzzkill, Liquid Television, Fatal Instinct, White Zombie, Swimming with Sharks

Written By: Howard on 04/19/16 at 3:06 pm

Destiny's Child, AOL, Gameboy, Fresh Prince, Bill Clinton

Written By: Starlighter on 06/13/16 at 3:29 pm

dial-up internet, pagers, flannel, denim

Written By: Howard on 06/14/16 at 2:39 pm

milky pens, Don't Wake Daddy, Goosebumps, Gak, beepers

Written By: TheKid99 on 06/14/16 at 4:43 pm

Monica, New Economy, Prosperity, Y2K Panic, Internet, Computer Revolution

Written By: Howard on 06/15/16 at 2:30 pm

Britney Spears, Monica, Toni Braxton, R.Kelly, Gwen Stefani

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/04/16 at 12:38 pm

Murphy Brown, David Spade, Kevin Costner, Miami Blues, Cathy Dennis

Written By: Howard on 08/04/16 at 2:49 pm

Pulp Fiction, Lion King, Forrest Gump, Titanic, Clueless

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/29/16 at 8:51 am

Julia Roberts, Nine Inch Nails, Selena, Murphy Brown, Bobby's World

Check for new replies or respond here...