inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABC One Saturday Morning

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/20/15 at 3:07 pm

Was anybody a fan of this Saturday Morning block? I sure was! It had some of my favorite Disney cartoons when I was a kid like Recess & Buzz Lightyear Star Command. What were your favorite show(s) on the network? Also if you want to include some programming from the original ABC Saturday morning block for most of the 90's your free to do so!

Subject: Re: ABC One Saturday Morning

Written By: mqg96 on 11/20/15 at 3:45 pm

I remember One Saturday Morning, but I didn't watch it as much as Kids WB though. Unfortunately, I was only in 1st grade when the block had ended and got replaced by ABC Kids (Disney Channel clone ;D), so I barely got to experience it as much as Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, or Toon Disney's classic ages. Thank God for what Toon Disney did throughout my core childhood. Toon Disney had Disney Afternoon cartoons, One Saturday Morning cartoons, and played all kinds of Disney movies from the golden age, silver age, bronze age, renaissance age, or Pixar! Disney's House of Mouse was my top favorite. Also, if you want to be technical, One Saturday Morning would be more of a millennial late 90's/early 2000's thing, since it lasted from 1997-2002.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/20/15 at 5:44 pm

I remember One Saturday Morning, but I didn't watch it as much as Kids WB though. Unfortunately, I was only in 1st grade when the block had ended and got replaced by ABC Kids (Disney Channel clone ;D), so I barely got to experience it as much as Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, or Toon Disney's classic ages. Thank God for what Toon Disney did throughout my core childhood. Toon Disney had Disney Afternoon cartoons, One Saturday Morning cartoons, and played all kinds of Disney movies from the golden age, silver age, bronze age, renaissance age, or Pixar! Disney's House of Mouse was my top favorite. Also, if you want to be technical, One Saturday Morning would be more of a millennial late 90's/early 2000's thing, since it lasted from 1997-2002.

I see, I started watching regular kid cartoon channels early at around age 3-4. My most vivid memories of the block are from the latter years in 2000-2002. But I do agree that the block itself is more of a late 90's/early 00's thing, but it seems a lot of 90's kids put it up to such high regard (sometimes outright dismissing the block beforehand which aired for most of the 90's) so I decided to post it on the 90's forum

Written By: nally on 11/20/15 at 10:08 pm

Me...not really. I might have "outgrown" it by the time it debuted, but I did periodically watch the network's Saturday morning lineup in the early 90s, around 1991-92, when it had such cartoon programs as the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/20/15 at 11:56 pm

I was as well. I watched the block until either 3rd or 4th grade and then after, I stuck with nick and CN. It was a great block though as it introduced some original cartoons such as Hercules, Pepper Ann and Recess which I watched until they were off the schedule.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/15 at 7:14 am

Was anybody a fan of this Saturday Morning block? I sure was! It had some of my favorite Disney cartoons when I was a kid like Recess & Buzz Lightyear Star Command. What were your favorite show(s) on the network? Also if you want to include some programming from the original ABC Saturday morning block for most of the 90's your free to do so!

Wasn't that supposed to be an 80's thing?  ???

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/21/15 at 11:37 am

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/03/90s-One-Saturday-Morning.png
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130818040712/disney/images/6/64/One_Saturday_Morning.jpg

Yup, I'd watch it a few times. I was more of a Kids WB and Fox Kids person, however where I lived they would show the one Saturday morning cartoons on weekday mornings on syndication. So I got the chance to see them twice. :D 8)

Overall, my favorites were Recess, Teacher's Pet, Buzz Lightyear in Star Command, House of Mouse, Tarzan the Animated series,and Pepper Anne.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/21/15 at 12:34 pm

Wasn't that supposed to be an 80's thing?  ???

Abc had Saturday morning cartoons all the way back from the 70's

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/21/15 at 2:09 pm

To me, One Saturday Morning will be seen historically as the last great Saturday morning block, and sort of a "last gasp" for Saturday morning cartoons in general. By the fall of 1997, cartoons on Saturdays were getting further and further trimmed, with both NBC and CBS by then showing two hours of morning talk shows, and only about two hours of children's programming. FOX Kids and ABC were the two remaining heavy hitters by this point, and ABC decided to really go all out in the marketing for OSM, which they pushed endlessly during the summer before it finally debuted that September.

I totally get the nostalgia that '90s kids have for OSM. As a 10-year-old at that time myself, I thought it was the coolest block ever, not just because of the cartoons themselves, but also due to the awesome skits and bumpers that aired in between the shows (like Mrs. Munger's Class, and the iconic Schoolhouse Rock!). If you look back at that original 1997-98 lineup, it still stands out today:

8:00 AM - 101 Dalmatians: The Series
8:30 AM - Disney's Doug
9:00 AM - Recces
9:30 AM - Pepper Ann
10:30 AM - The Bugs & Tweety Show
11:30 AM - Jungle Cubs
12:00 PM - The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
12:30 PM - Science Court

On top of all that, the theme song for OSM is also one of my all-time favorites. You knew the weekend had officially arrived when you plopped on the couch with a bowl of cereal just in time to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHUYWL1eIU

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/22/15 at 9:34 am

To me, One Saturday Morning will be seen historically as the last great Saturday morning block, and sort of a "last gasp" for Saturday morning cartoons in general. By the fall of 1997, cartoons on Saturdays were getting further and further trimmed, with both NBC and CBS by then showing two hours of morning talk shows, and only about two hours of children's programming. FOX Kids and ABC were the two remaining heavy hitters by this point, and ABC decided to really go all out in the marketing for OSM, which they pushed endlessly during the summer before it finally debuted that September.

I totally get the nostalgia that '90s kids have for OSM. As a 10-year-old at that time myself, I thought it was the coolest block ever, not just because of the cartoons themselves, but also due to the awesome skits and bumpers that aired in between the shows (like Mrs. Munger's Class, and the iconic Schoolhouse Rock!). If you look back at that original 1997-98 lineup, it still stands out today:

On top of all that, the theme song for OSM is also one of my all-time favorites. You knew the weekend had officially arrived when you plopped on the couch with a bowl of cereal just in time to see this:

That's awesome, thanks for that schedule! Do you have any vivid memories of the block prior to OSM?

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/23/15 at 6:38 am

Actually, this was the era of Kid's WB, so there were three hitters at this point. Still, I was in seventh grade when this block started and I feel like by this time, the material was for primary/elementary school-aged kids compared to FOX/WB which had more material good for preteens (and even NBC which had similar shows even if they weren't cartoons and CBS which had stuff like a kid's version of Wheel of Fortune). If I wanted to see Looney Tunes, I'd watch Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network instead where they had a better variety. Unfortunately I tried to watch Disney's Doug for a few episodes, but tuned out and found it lacking compared to the earlier Nickelodeon episodes.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/23/15 at 12:45 pm

yuEjjmGVA98

Heres the bumper collection of ABC Saturday Morning from 1976-2002

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/23/15 at 9:21 pm

Actually, this was the era of Kid's WB, so there were three hitters at this point. Still, I was in seventh grade when this block started and I feel like by this time, the material was for primary/elementary school-aged kids compared to FOX/WB which had more material good for preteens (and even NBC which had similar shows even if they weren't cartoons and CBS which had stuff like a kid's version of Wheel of Fortune). If I wanted to see Looney Tunes, I'd watch Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network instead where they had a better variety. Unfortunately I tried to watch Disney's Doug for a few episodes, but tuned out and found it lacking compared to the earlier Nickelodeon episodes.

That's true, Kid's WB! was definitely a huge deal in the late '90s. On the other hand, both NBC and CBS had very strange Saturday morning lineups by this point. NBC had gone away from a full Saturday morning schedule way back in 1992, opting instead to show a weekend edition of the Today show, and more teen oriented programming like Saved by the Bell. CBS dropped their traditional Saturday morning lineup around 1997 or 1998, and started airing more E/I type stuff like a kid version of Wheel of Fortune (which you mentioned) as well as a kid's version of Jepordy! also, if memory serves. I agree that OSM appealed more to elementary school kids than FOX Kids and Kids WB! did, since both of those blocks featured larger numbers of action/comic book type shows.

As far as Disney's Doug is concerned, I actually never really had a huge problem with it. I do get the hate for it, and it's certainly not as good as the Nickelodeon series, but I didn't dislike it as much as pretty much everybody else my age seems to have.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/23/15 at 9:42 pm

Do you have any vivid memories of the block prior to OSM?

Absolutely. For some reason, I was a big-time "ABC kid" growing up, and was very loyal to that network from a young age. Usually I'd watch the ABC Saturday morning lineup, and tape shows on CBS I wanted to watch (like TMNT and Garfield) for later. Because of that, I have very fond memories of getting up and watching ABC in the early-to-mid '90s. I'd say my favorite ABC lineup is the one they had around 1993-94, which featured some real juggernauts like Darkwing Duck, Sonic the Hedgehog, Reboot and Goof Troop.

And, of course, there was the single most iconic Saturday morning bumper to both '80s and '90s kids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vI0UcUxzrQ

Written By: nally on 11/24/15 at 11:43 am

^ I remember those... and the jingle(s). :D

Written By: Howard on 11/24/15 at 2:33 pm

I remember the jingle too as well.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/24/15 at 9:32 pm

I will admit those jingles are extremely catchy  :D

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/24/15 at 9:41 pm

Here is 90's & early 00's ABC Saturday Mornings in all its glory!

-zKnWy2OkE0 7K10TEupjN4

NWO5SV0N0Wk x8MlGmbcMho

x-wOmbPdmRE 92Lz8CjC4TY

Written By: nally on 11/24/15 at 10:36 pm

I remember the jingle too as well.

I will admit those jingles are extremely catchy  :D

Yeah, they were...which is why I remember it so well almost a quarter-century later.

Check for new replies or respond here...