inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sega Genesis vs. Super Nintendo: Which defined your '90s childhood?

Written By: 90s Guy on 12/05/15 at 7:58 pm

Of these two 90s console monsters, which defined your childhood in the 90s more?
What games did you have for each?

I would say that for the bulk of the 90s, Sega was where it was at. I recently lost my system, but these are the games I'm pretty sure I had (I probably had more):

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Joe and Mac Caveman Ninja
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Crystal's Pony Tale
Haunting Starring Polterguy
Paperboy
Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles, 3D Blast
Sonic Spinball
X Men 2
The Lion King

Not a bad collection for a kid born in 1990.

I was still playing the Sega actively as late (picture wise) as the fall of 1996.
Sometime, either for Christmas 1996 or sometime in 1997, I got a Super Nintendo, and for that I had at least the following:

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Pitfall
Super Mario World

That defined the first part of my late 90s video gaming experience.

Then, for my birthday in November 1998, I got a Playstation.
I can't recall the games I had, but I know by 2000 I had Soul Reaver, Tomb Raider 1, 2 and 3, Die Hard Trilogy, that Star Wars: Phantom Menace game, and several other games.

Around 1998 I also got a Gameboy Color and had Pokemon Yellow, Jurassic Park, The Mask of Zorro and a few other games I've since forgotten.

Finally closing out the '90s (around 99 probably), I got a Nintendo 64 and for that I had several Wrestling games and Donkey Kong 64. I may have had others, but I don't remember right now.

Subject: Re: Sega Genesis vs. Super Nintendo: Which defined your '90s childhood?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/05/15 at 8:06 pm

Well, since I was born towards the tail end of the SNES and Genesis era, you're obviously going to get a different reaction outta me!!! ;D ;D ;D  If you didn't already know I got into gaming during the 5th gen; go the N64 in 1999 and Gameboy color in 2000.
I played my Uncle's SEGA genesis from 2001-2004, I unfortunately didn't grow up with SNES. So the Gensis probably had the most impact out of the really old school consoles.

Subject: Re: Sega Genesis vs. Super Nintendo: Which defined your '90s childhood?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/05/15 at 8:12 pm

We were a Sega family. We got Genesis for Christmas '93 and it was all we had until we got N64 around September of '97, so it was definitely my foray into gaming as I was aged 3-6 at the time.

Between our cousins and ourselves (we often borrowed each other's games and I don't exactly remember whose was whose) we had the following:

Aladdin
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
Echo: The Tides of Time
Fun and Games
Jurassic Park
Madden 94
Ms. Pac-Man
NBA Live 97
NHL 96
Ninja Turtles – Hyper Stone Heist
RiStar
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic & Knuckles
Spiderman & Venom: Maximum Carnage
Taz in Escape from Mars
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster’s Hidden Treasure
Toe Jam and Earl: Panic on Funkotron
X-Men
X-Men 2: Clone Wars

We still have most of them, but my mom gave a lot of them away when we got N64.

I also remember frequently renting the following:

Beavis and Butthead (lol not sure how my mom allowed this)
ClayFighter
Virtual Bart

My best friend across the street had SNES so I played that with him sometimes. I also bought a used one for myself in the summer of 2002.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/05/15 at 8:14 pm

We were a Sega family. We got Genesis for Christmas '93 and it was all we had until we got N64 around September of '97, so it was definitely my foray into gaming as I was aged 3-6 at the time.

Just like N64 was for me, until I got the PS2! ;)

Written By: #Infinity on 12/05/15 at 10:25 pm

I was never even formally introduced to the Sega Genesis until I started watching The Angry Video Game Nerd, nor have I ever truly played a Sonic game in my life.  The system had already lost its popularity by the time I turned 3.  I did, however, play the Super Nintendo growing up because there were two of them at my mom's 24 Hour Fitness daycare and even owned a Wario's Woods cartridge, which I played with at the center.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/05/15 at 10:30 pm

I was never even formally introduced to the Sega Genesis until I started watching The Angry Video Game Nerd, nor have I ever truly played a Sonic game in my life.  The system had already lost its popularity by the time I turned 3.  I did, however, play the Super Nintendo growing up because there were two of them at my mom's 24 Hour Fitness daycare and even owned a Wario's Woods cartridge, which I played with at the center.

WOW, you didn't know any older friends that had a Genesis?!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/05/15 at 11:11 pm

Unfortunately I was only a baby during the SNES vs. Genesis era. However I did play the Super Nintendo countless times during my childhood, since my cousins born in the mid-late 80's had SNESs. My favorite games being Super Mario World (probably the first Mario game I ever played now that I think about it), Donkey Kong Country, Zelda A Link to the Past, & NBA Jam. I unfortunately never played a Sega Genesis before  :\'( I have however played the Dreamcast at cousins and friend's houses, but that's the furthest I've gone with Sega consoles...

Written By: mqg96 on 12/05/15 at 11:31 pm

I barely knew any friends who had a Sega Saturn or Dreamcast either. That's why I don't know much about the systems at all. I've grown up with friends who owned a Nintendo, Playstation, or XBOX their whole lives. From 5th generation gaming and on.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/06/15 at 1:04 am

Nope.  Almost everybody in my neighborhood was younger than me, and the few guys who were older (born in 1988 and 1990) only owned Nintendo 64, PS1, and PS2, at least to my recollection.  The Genesis was already pretty unpopular by 1995, so I suppose I'm not terribly surprised to have never played it growing up.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/06/15 at 9:47 am

I was lucky enough to have both a Super Nintendo and a Genesis growing up, but I'd have to say that overall I was more of a "Sega kid". In all of the stereotypical Nintendo vs. Sega playground arguments, I would typically defend the Genesis, mostly because I thought Sonic was cooler than Mario as a kid. Also, I had a much better library of games for my Genesis for some reason. I only owned six SNES games (Super Mario World, Super Ghouls & Ghosts, Tecmo Super Bowl, Mickey's Circus, Animaniacs and TMNT IV), whereas I had over a dozen games for the Genesis, including the entire Sonic series, as well as both Vectorman games.

Interestingly enough, I was also very late to the 3D gaming table. Even though quite a few of my friends and relatives got a PS1/N64 early on, I didn't upgrade consoles until I got a Nintendo 64 for Christmas in 1998. Up through that summer, I was still primarily playing 2D games. In fact, the last 16-bit game I got was NFL '98 for the Genesis, which was actually one of the last games ever developed for a 16-bit console.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHrObqp0JQ4

Written By: violet_shy on 12/06/15 at 3:57 pm

We got our Super Nintendo System in 1994, when I was 14. I remember that along with the game system came two games: Super Mario World and Super Mario All Stars. These two were my favorite! Then we would simply take out games at the video store: Tiny Toon Adventures, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong two and three, and others I can't remember but I know there were more. Fun times.

Written By: 90s Guy on 12/06/15 at 5:49 pm

Nope.  Almost everybody in my neighborhood was younger than me, and the few guys who were older (born in 1988 and 1990) only owned Nintendo 64, PS1, and PS2, at least to my recollection.  The Genesis was already pretty unpopular by 1995, so I suppose I'm not terribly surprised to have never played it growing up.

Source? Am asking because Sega didn't seem to have any problems until the release of the Saturn.

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 12/06/15 at 7:21 pm

For me it was moreso the Super Nintendo which I got one for the Christmas of 1996 when I was 5 1/2, although I did have a Sega Genesis as well.

Games I had for Super Nintendo- All 3 Donkey Kong Countries, Super Mario Kart, and Jurassic Park

Games I had for Sega Genesis- The Lion King

Written By: bchris02 on 12/06/15 at 8:01 pm

I never had a Super Nintendo.  For me, it went regular NES, then Sega Genesis, then the N64.

I would say Sega Genesis was my primary console during the 90s.

Written By: Ripley on 12/07/15 at 7:55 pm

I loved Sonic but that's really all I played on Sega. I was always on my Super Nintendo though. So many games I can't list them all at the moment!

Written By: violet_shy on 12/08/15 at 8:18 am

Found some of my old games that I still have from my Super Nintendo System, hopefully some of you will remember them.

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 3
Ms. Pac Man
Paperboy 2
Darius Twin
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Star Wars
Super Mario World
X-Kalibur 2097

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/08/15 at 9:19 pm

Here are some videos!!
T_MOqHyCUEc                                                                                                                              ZUkmL8z6I2w

csFP0TCvt-c                                                                                                                                  NbMuNbeAh7I

Written By: Ripley on 12/09/15 at 8:01 am

I played some of them Violet

Donkey Kong Country - One of my favorites
Donkey Kong Country 3 - I never got a chance to play this one
Ms. Pac Man - I loved this game but I recall only playing the Sega version
Super Mario All Stars - Excellent games on here
Super Mario Kart - I didn't play this til N64
Super Mario World - My favorite tied with Donkey Kong

Written By: violet_shy on 12/09/15 at 11:51 am

I played some of them Violet

Donkey Kong Country - One of my favorites
Donkey Kong Country 3 - I never got a chance to play this one
Ms. Pac Man - I loved this game but I recall only playing the Sega version
Super Mario All Stars - Excellent games on here
Super Mario Kart - I didn't play this til N64
Super Mario World - My favorite tied with Donkey Kong

Super Mario Kart was a lot more fun than the N64 version, I find. If you haven't played Donkey Kong Country 3 you should, it is super fun!

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/10/15 at 7:19 am

About the same. I first discovered each system at a friend's house (where I'd first play Super Mario World and Sonic 1) before I would get the console the following Christmas (1992 for the SNES, 1993 for the Genesis). Since I had an NES from 1989, I was content just with new games and until the price fel a bit. I continued to play them even after I got the Playstation and N64. The last games I got for each system (not counting nostalgia as of late) was Sonic 3D Blast and Donkey Kong Country 3 for Christmas 1996. I probably had about the same amount of games for each system (around 20) before moving on to the next generation. And the battle will live on just like VHS/Beta, Apple/Microsoft, and Coke/Pepsi.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/10/15 at 11:44 am

Super Mario Kart was a lot more fun than the N64 version, I find. If you haven't played Donkey Kong Country 3 you should, it is super fun!

Better than the N64 version!? :o ???  Say whattt!!!! ;D ;D ;D  But seriously if the SNES Mario Kart was better than my precious 64 version than I got play it for my self.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/14/15 at 3:17 pm

The SNES. Everyday when I was a kid (until I got the N64 and Gamecube) I would play it. It definitely had some fascinating games that are still playable today. I even had most of the iconic games that represent the console such as the DKC Trilogy, Super Mario World and its sequel, Super Metroid, LoZ: ALtP as well as the non-exclusive ones. 

Check for new replies or respond here...