inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1997 was the perfect " 90's" year

Written By: the2001 on 01/15/16 at 9:13 am

The year started off with this song

gJLIiF15wjQ
1997 was a nice balance of POP and that post grunge feeling

Super Nintendo was on its VERY last legs (but people still had the system and were using it) while
Playstation 1 and  N64 KICKED IN TO HIGH DRIVE

Movies in 1997 were amazing as well,  TITANTIC, Lost World, Men in Black, Austin Powers

TGIF was still in its prime and people were still watching

WWF attitude had just started in February with the change of raw to RAW IS WAR

Subject: Re: 1997 was the perfect " 90's" year

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/15/16 at 10:12 am

1997 is both the last Gen X year and core 90's year. Real Grunge + flannel and Beavis and Butthead still stuck around until the end of the year. It was also the start of a lot of really good shows like King of the Hill, South Park, Smart Guy, The New Batman Adventures and iconic early 2000's shows like Buffy, The Practice and Just Shoot Me.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/15/16 at 10:29 am

My favorite console Mario Kart game of the entire series was released in the United States this year!

http://img15.deviantart.net/d024/i/2010/232/4/4/mario_kart_64_wallpaper_by_xxinightxx.png

http://static.betazeta.com/www.niubie.com/up/2012/09/mariokart64.jpg

Written By: #Infinity on 01/15/16 at 11:43 am

1997 was the first predominantly late 90s year, while still feeling unquestionably 90s and not vaguely 2000s.

Musically, it was a very different year from 1996, defined primarily by an expansion of emerging trends from the last third of that year, including millennial teen pop (not popular in America until February 1997), glam hip hop, and a more rhythm-centric style of urban music, pioneered by Timbaland as well as the song "No Diggity."  The collapse of gangsta rap in 1996 also meant that the East Coast came to dominate the industry once again, primarily through the commercial peak of Bad Boy Records, during which the grittiness of the label's Junior M.A.F.I.A. days were now overtaken by materialistically hedonistic subject matter over guilty pleasure productions.  Once autumn 1997 came and Master P's Ghetto D reached #1 on the Billboard 200, however, the South emerged as a major contender in its own right and not just an extension West Coast g-funk.  Britpop also lost its momentum in 1997, though it was immediately overtaken by post-britpop like Radiohead's seminal OK Computer album.  Classic 90s eurodance, already obsolete in Great Britain, took its last breath in the US in 1997 with Real McCoy's "One More Time," while Aqua's "Barbie Girl" set the tongue-and-cheek tone that was to follow for the genre.  All in all, there was a whole lot going on in the music industry throughout 1997, but regardless, it was still a solid year in its own right.

There's a whole lot to say about video games as well!  1997 was the first year that fifth generation video game consoles were at the forefront of the industry and the Super Nintendo was no longer relevant (yes, people still owned the system, but its sales had plummeted and it had no notable titles after Donkey Kong Country 3).  This year saw an explosion of 4-player party games on the N64, something that had not been seen with previous traditional video game consoles.  Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Diddy Kong Racing, and especially GoldenEye 007 set the standard for future multiplayer smashes.  The still-mind-blowing 3D graphics at the time were only the icing on the cake.  The PlayStation, meanwhile, only continued to cement itself as the dominant video game console, with games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Crash Bandicoot 2, Tomb Raider II, and Final Fantasy VII.  By this point, the Sega Saturn had far more titles than it did upon launch, but by this point, it was too little too late.  The closest we got to a 3D Sonic game on the system was Sonic R, a poor man's version of Mario Kart 64 despite a memorably cheesy soundtrack, released that year.

Like music, television was undergoing massive changes throughout 1997, as well.  In addition to the premiere of the Clueless, Stargate SG-1, Ally McBeal, The Practice, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series, the year was especially transitional for cartoons.  Several new shows premiered this year, including The Angry Beavers, Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken, I Am Weasel, Recess, Pepper Ann, King of the Hill, Daria, and of course South Park.  The latter three programs quickly overtook Beavis & Butthead, which was cancelled that year, as well as The Simpsons, which jumped the shark in September when Principal Skinner was revealed to be an impostor.  Meanwhile, other 90s staples like Seinfeld, The X-Files, Friends, and Frasier were still in their golden years, though this was the last full year that the former was still airing new episodes.

Fashion gradually evolved as 1997 unfolded.  Thanks especially to the rising teen pop movement, frosted tips, tube tops, and sweat pants were steadily becoming the new norm, while grunge styles were basically gone.  Everything still looked classic 90s, but you could tell trends were starting to head in a very different direction.

In world news, 1997 saw the continued growth of the Internet, with the economy nearly entering surplus range, as well as the shocking passing of Princess Diana.  The year was otherwise fairly peaceful, and definitely expanded upon the optimistic mood for the late 90s.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/16 at 2:45 pm

It would be the start of the Attitude Era.

Written By: 2001 on 01/15/16 at 7:45 pm

Goldeneye 007.

One of the most influential games of all time.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/15/16 at 8:38 pm

It was a fun year. It was just a very fun year!!  :)

Written By: 2001 on 01/15/16 at 11:29 pm

1997 was the first predominantly late 90s year, while still feeling unquestionably 90s and not vaguely 2000s.

Musically, it was a very different year from 1996, defined primarily by an expansion of emerging trends from the last third of that year, including millennial teen pop (not popular in America until February 1997), glam hip hop, and a more rhythm-centric style of urban music, pioneered by Timbaland as well as the song "No Diggity."  The collapse of gangsta rap in 1996 also meant that the East Coast came to dominate the industry once again, primarily through the commercial peak of Bad Boy Records, during which the grittiness of the label's Junior M.A.F.I.A. days were now overtaken by materialistically hedonistic subject matter over guilty pleasure productions.  Once autumn 1997 came and Master P's Ghetto D reached #1 on the Billboard 200, however, the South emerged as a major contender in its own right and not just an extension West Coast g-funk.  Britpop also lost its momentum in 1997, though it was immediately overtaken by post-britpop like Radiohead's seminal OK Computer album.  Classic 90s eurodance, already obsolete in Great Britain, took its last breath in the US in 1997 with Real McCoy's "One More Time," while Aqua's "Barbie Girl" set the tongue-and-cheek tone that was to follow for the genre.  All in all, there was a whole lot going on in the music industry throughout 1997, but regardless, it was still a solid year in its own right.

There's a whole lot to say about video games as well!  1997 was the first year that fifth generation video game consoles were at the forefront of the industry and the Super Nintendo was no longer relevant (yes, people still owned the system, but its sales had plummeted and it had no notable titles after Donkey Kong Country 3).  This year saw an explosion of 4-player party games on the N64, something that had not been seen with previous traditional video game consoles.  Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Diddy Kong Racing, and especially GoldenEye 007 set the standard for future multiplayer smashes.  The still-mind-blowing 3D graphics at the time were only the icing on the cake.  The PlayStation, meanwhile, only continued to cement itself as the dominant video game console, with games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Crash Bandicoot 2, Tomb Raider II, and Final Fantasy VII.  By this point, the Sega Saturn had far more titles than it did upon launch, but by this point, it was too little too late.  The closest we got to a 3D Sonic game on the system was Sonic R, a poor man's version of Mario Kart 64 despite a memorably cheesy soundtrack, released that year.

Like music, television was undergoing massive changes throughout 1997, as well.  In addition to the premiere of the Clueless, Stargate SG-1, Ally McBeal, The Practice, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series, the year was especially transitional for cartoons.  Several new shows premiered this year, including The Angry Beavers, Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken, I Am Weasel, Recess, Pepper Ann, King of the Hill, Daria, and of course South Park.  The latter three programs quickly overtook Beavis & Butthead, which was cancelled that year, as well as The Simpsons, which jumped the shark in September when Principal Skinner was revealed to be an impostor.  Meanwhile, other 90s staples like Seinfeld, The X-Files, Friends, and Frasier were still in their golden years, though this was the last full year that the former was still airing new episodes.

Fashion gradually evolved as 1997 unfolded.  Thanks especially to the rising teen pop movement, frosted tips, tube tops, and sweat pants were steadily becoming the new norm, while grunge styles were basically gone.  Everything still looked classic 90s, but you could tell trends were starting to head in a very different direction.

In world news, 1997 saw the continued growth of the Internet, with the economy nearly entering surplus range, as well as the shocking passing of Princess Diana.  The year was otherwise fairly peaceful, and definitely expanded upon the optimistic mood for the late 90s.

Great post. I'd give karma if I weren't on mobile >_<

Also anyone else watch the Mr. Bean movie?? I can credit that movie for giving me such strong lungs  ;D

Also that terrible Batman and Robin movie came out 97. I was a kid so of course I loved it. Oh and I can't forget about Power Rangers in Space. Another terrible series that I couldn't help but enjoy. I also enjoyed watching the Winnie the Pooh movie that year.

Jurassic Park 2 came out that year as well! Sleeping Beauty also came out on VHS, good stuff.

I think late 96 or early 97 was when my family bought our first computer. It was mostly for my dad's job though, he bought me some edutainment games to play on it like Jump Start First Grade, Freddi Fish, Putt Putt and Panama Sam. And also, I can't forget the grand Daddy of 'em all... The Pinball game on Windows!!  :D :D

Did anyone else get their first computer around 97?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/15/16 at 11:56 pm

It would be the start of the Attitude Era.

the best era in wwe history!!! :D

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 12:03 am

The year started off with this song

gJLIiF15wjQ
1997 was a nice balance of POP and that post grunge feeling

Super Nintendo was on its VERY last legs (but people still had the system and were using it) while
Playstation 1 and  N64 KICKED IN TO HIGH DRIVE

Movies in 1997 were amazing as well,  TITANTIC, Lost World, Men in Black, Austin Powers

TGIF was still in its prime and people were still watching

The TGIF of '97 was nowhere near as good as the lineup from the fall of 1990.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/16/16 at 12:06 am

http://www.cartoonhd.mobi/thumbs/show_4edeedf7a7da155fb95995e36e49a8fb.jpg http://aretheyoldenough.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/johnyy-bravo.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LrCnY%2BTXL.jpg http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/disney-recess-500x346.jpg
http://en.wikifur.com/w/images/thumb/e/ef/The_angry_beavers_1.jpg/770px-The_angry_beavers_1.jpg

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 12:14 am

It was a fun year. It was just a very fun year!!  :)

It was the second year of the late '90s. '97 was not a fruitful year like '96 or '93, but it was not boring in any way at all.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/16/16 at 12:48 am

We lost these people this year! :\'( :\'( :\'(
http://40.media.tumblr.com/97e0456e85bdc421d9aca564c88d657b/tumblr_nsncv16gBI1uylufgo1_540.jpg
http://www.vaughanpl.info/leisure/wp-content/uploads/robert-mitchum-wallpapers-5.jpghttp://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02646/princess-diana-2_2646947b.jpg
http://cdn.hiphopwired.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/biggie.jpghttp://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/b/brianpillman/07.jpg http://boomstickcomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/chris-farley-sketch.jpg http://www.hollywoodgravehunter.com/site/images/bmeredith.jpg
http://www.cinemapassion.com/photos-personnalites/James-Stewart-photo-7757.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 01/16/16 at 1:09 am

It was the second year of the late '90s. '97 was not a fruitful year like '96 or '93, but it was not boring in any way at all.

I liked 1996 to 1998 very much.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/16/16 at 1:13 am

You could separate the core 90's like this:

early 90's: 1993
mid 90's: 1994-1995
late 90's: 1996-1997

Or the true 90's like this:

early 90's: 1993-1995
mid 90's: 1996-1997
late 90s: 1998-2003

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/16/16 at 1:18 am

OR
Early 90s:1990-mid 1993
Mid 90s: late 1993-mid 1996
late 90s: late 1996-mid 1998
Millennium period: late 1998-2001/02ish

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/16/16 at 1:42 am

OR

I'd say that works except I'd shorten the early 90's to around early 1993 (specifically march), the late 90's to end during late 1997, the millennium era to start at early 1998 and include 2002 with maybe a slash for 2003.

Written By: #Infinity on 01/16/16 at 3:16 am

Well, if we're going to break down even the core period of a decade into three respective sub-eras, I may as well give my perspective.  I'm going to also discuss the layers that bridged the 90s with the 80s, as well as the 2000s.

Early Peripheral 90s:  November 1989 - January 1993

Early:  November 1989 - October 1990:  Though this is still the peak of late 80s culture, it also sees the first true roots of 90s culture.  The Cold War finally ends, The Little Mermaid comes out in theaters, The Simpsons premieres on television, and house music first becomes popular through Technotronic and Snap.

Mid:  November 1990 - November 1991:  This period is pretty much evenly balanced between 80s and 90s influences.  Home Alone comes out in theaters, The Fresh Prince of Bell-Air and Tiny Toons Adventures premiere on television, eventually the original three Nicktoons debut on Nickelodeon, house music grows in popularity, and both Sonic the Hedgehog and the SNES come out.  Geopolitically, this period was defined by the Gulf War.

Late:  December 1991 - January 1993:  This is predominantly an early 90s atmosphere, but still not without a fair amount of 80s influence.  Gated drums, 80s mullets, hair bands, and shows like The Cosby Show and Cheers are on their last legs.

Core 90s:  January 1993 - October 1998

Early:  January 1993 - July 1995:  This period begins with the simultaneous inauguration of Bill Clinton and mainstream breakthrough of gangsta rap.  Grunge is at its peak during this time.  New-jack swing still has a decent influence on popular music.  This is basically the peak of classic eurodance.  Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is the hottest thing with kids, while several other popular cartoons such as Animaniacs, Batman: TAS, and Rocko's Modern Life accompany it.  The Internet is vaguely known about, but really only in geek communities, as well as those curious enough to check out Netscape when it first came out.

Mid:  August 1995 - April 1997:  There is a mild shift in the midst of the mid-90s when Alanis Morissette bursts onto the scene, Clueless is released in theaters, and the Internet officially breaks into the mainstream with the release of Windows 95 and Internet Explorer.  Britpop is at the height of its popularity.  Popular music is now pretty much void of new-jack swing influences, instead dominated either by laid back CrazySexyCool-style hip hop influences or strong adult contemporary tendencies.  The fifth generation of video games is technically on, but not yet fully established.

Late:  May 1997 - October 1998:  Teen Pop is a huge industry in America, Puff Daddy is dubbed the "New King of Hip Hop," Tony Blair becomes the British Prime Minister, post-britpop overtakes britpop, several classic 90s shows are cancelled or lose significance, and future staples of the millennial era quickly begin to take their place.  The Dot Com bubble is moderately prominent.  Revolutionary services such as Google, Amazon, and AIM make their debuts during this time.

Late Peripheral 90s:  November 1998 - February 2003

Early:  November 1998 - November 2000:  Begins with the releases of Ocarina of Time and the Powerpuff Girls, as well as the breakthroughs of Britney Spears, Pokémon, nu-metal, and Windows 98.  The Simpsons has completely left its golden era behind by this point.  Bad Boy and No Limit begin to decline, the Dot Com Boom reaches its peak, latin pop grows huge, and Y2K hysteria reaches its height (though this subsides after January 1, 2000).  Essentially the peak of "millennial era" culture.

Mid:  December, 2000 - September 11, 2001:  A highly transitional period, which begins with the controversial Bush v. Gore decision and also sees the initial decline of teen pop, the definitive end of the Disney Renaissance, the growth of the Neptunes and Murder Inc., the release of Shrek, the infancy of the PS2, Gold & Silver-era Pokémon, the premiere of Lizzie McGuire, George W. Bush become President of the United States, and the quick expansion of reality television following the success of the first season of Survivor.

Late:  September 11, 2001 - February 2003:  By this point, the 90s are pretty much over, but there are still vague traces of the millennial era during this time.  This sub-era ends in early 2003 with the breakthrough of 50 Cent, as well as the Invasion of Iraq.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/16 at 7:02 am

the best era in wwe history!!! :D

and they'll never be anymore of those ever again.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/16/16 at 10:24 am

and they'll never be anymore of those ever again.

That can apply to the better days in general.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 2:20 pm

Early '90s: 1990, 1991, and 1992
Mid '90s: 1993, 1994, and 1995
Late '90s: 1996, 1997, and 1998
Start of this century: 1999

Written By: mqg96 on 01/16/16 at 3:14 pm

Start of this century: 1999

Are you talking about pop culturally? Numerically the 21st century did not start until 2001.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 3:28 pm

OR

The mid '90s atmosphere was in full swing from the very start of 1993, though, Eazy-EMAN1995.

Backwards caps, the movie Aladdin, Grohlvana, Sonic the Hedgehog, Luke Perry, Ren and Stimpy, and Bill Clinton were all the pinnacle of what was "in" at the time.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 3:32 pm

Are you talking about pop culturally? Numerically the 21st century did not start until 2001.

Yes, both pop culturally and historically.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/16/16 at 3:45 pm

The mid '90s atmosphere was in full swing from the very start of 1993, though, Eazy-EMAN1995.

Backwards caps, the movie Aladdin, Grohlvana, Sonic the Hedgehog, Luke Perry, Ren and Stimpy, and Bill Clinton were all the pinnacle of what was "in" at the time.

I was only a baby in 1993, but based on what I've seen of the movies, music videos, T.V. shows of that year, the mid 90s were definitely not in full swing in 1993. Just because a few mid 90s trends existed in 1993, does not mean that it was primarily a mid 90s year. If you're going to call 1993 a mid 90s year, on that basis, you might as well call 1992 a "mid 90s year". Things like Sonic, Aladdin, and Ren and Stimpy were already popular in 1992.

Just because grunge peaked in 1993, does not make it a "mid 90s" either, because grunge was beginning to decline in the mid 90s. When I say grunge, I mean the music, not the fashion. The fashion lingered for a bit longer (like early 1997).

In my opinion the "cultural" early 90s would be something like late 1991-1993. 1990-mid 1991 ties more with 1989. It seems like many people believe that 1992 was somehow way different that 1993, when it really wasn't.

Written By: #Infinity on 01/16/16 at 3:47 pm

Yes, both pop culturally and historically.

Historically? ???

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/16/16 at 3:50 pm

Historically? ???

I know, he confuses me too  ;D

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 4:06 pm

Historically? ???

'99 was nothing like the years before it. I do not know where you are coming from, Infinity.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 4:07 pm

I know, he confuses me too  ;D

When were you born?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 4:15 pm

I was only a baby in 1993, but based on what I've seen of the movies, music videos, T.V. shows of that year, the mid 90s were definitely not in full swing in 1993. Just because a few mid 90s trends existed in 1993, does not mean that it was primarily a mid 90s year. If you're going to call 1993 a mid 90s year, on that basis, you might as well call 1992 a "mid 90s year". Things like Sonic, Aladdin, and Ren and Stimpy were already popular in 1992.

Just because grunge peaked in 1993, does not make it a "mid 90s" either, because grunge was beginning to decline in the mid 90s. When I say grunge, I mean the music, not the fashion. The fashion lingered for a bit longer (like early 1997).

In my opinion the "cultural" early '90s would be something like late 1991-1993. 1990-mid 1991 ties more with 1989. It seems like many people believe that 1992 was somehow way different that 1993, when it really wasn't.

Bath and Body Works, Entertainment Weekly, Baby Blues, Law and Order, The Simpsons opening sequence, and F-Zero were not in existence in 1989. 

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/16 at 5:48 pm

'99 was nothing like the years before it. I do not know where you are coming from, Infinity.

Historically, 1991 to present day are the same thing. At the very least most historians will see 1991-2001 or 1991-2008 as being one common Post-Cold War era.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/16 at 5:52 pm

That can apply to the better days in general.

I know, with most of the roster depleted of superstars we can sure have a bit of the Attitude Era right now.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 6:00 pm

Historically, 1991 to present day are the same thing. At the very least most historians will see 1991-2001 or 1991-2008 as being one common Post-Cold War era.

I disagree, present day has more in common with 1999 than 1991 to 1998. The editors of Encyclopedia Britannica even know 1999 to be the turn of the 21st century.

Here is a link for you, 2001: http://www.britannica.com/topic/Star-Wars-film-series

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/16/16 at 6:17 pm

Great overview of 1997.

Yeah, '97 was a hugely important year for video games, largely due to the release of Final Fantasy VII. The importance of this game as it pertains to the acceptance of role-playing games in the western market simply cannot be overstated. FF7 sold an unprecedented 11 million copies (which was more than SNES classics FF6 and Chrono Trigger combined twice over), and pretty much single-handedly made it "cool" for non-geeks to play RPG's. GoldenEye 007 was significant too, as it help set many standards for the console FPS genre. The N64 and PS1 both had a number of incredible games that year, while the Saturn was clearly on it's last legs.

Some other events from 1997 that I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned yet:

*Bill Clinton is inaugurated to begin his second presidential term.

*Soundgarden breaks up, leaving Pearl Jam as the only remaining band from Grunge's Big Four.

*The DVD format makes it's debut in the United States.

*Andrew Cunanan kills Gianni Versace.

*Toonami premieres on Cartoon Network.

*The Hale-Bopp Comet phenomenon, and subsequent mass suicide of the Heaven's Gate cult.

*John Denver dies in a plane crash.

*Brett Farve leads the Green Bay Packers to their first NFL title since 1967.

*One Saturday Morning debuts on ABC.

*Coach, Martin, Wings, Roseanne, Married... With Children, and Hangin' with Mr. Cooper all air their final episodes.

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/16 at 6:19 pm

I disagree, present day has more in common with 1999 than 1991 to 1998. The editors of Encyclopedia Britannica even know 1999 to be the turn of the 21st century.

Here is a link for you, 2001: http://www.britannica.com/topic/Star-Wars-film-series

Star Wars is pop cultural not historical :p

If historians can generalize 1837 - 1901 as the "Victorian era", they will not hesitate to group 1991 with 2016.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 6:32 pm

Star Wars is pop cultural not historical :p

For the editors to post that, '99 would have to have been the start of the 2000s historically.

If historians can generalize 1837 - 1901 as the "Victorian era", they will not hesitate to group 1991 with 2016.

Well, historians are only human and human beings make mistakes all of the time.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/16/16 at 9:31 pm

What!? 1999 was exactly like 1998 was! It's 1998 that was different than the years before it (1998-2002 still had a lot of similarities to the core 90's, though). Also, backwards caps have been popular since the 70's.

For the editors to post that, '99 would have to have been the start of the 2000s historically.

The 2000's starting in 1999 makes no sense! The things that defined the 2000's weren't established, relevant or didn't even exist until 2003 at the earliest and 2004 at the latest. The rest of the 2000's was so entirely different from 2000-2002.

I am going to self-appoint myself the title of historian. 1977-2003 is one era. The... uhh.... The Rad era!

Written By: #Infinity on 01/16/16 at 10:19 pm

What!? 1999 was exactly like 1998 was! It's 1998 that was different than the years before it (1998-2002 still had a lot of similarities to the core 90's, though). Also, backwards caps have been popular since the 70's.

TMNT toys were everywhere at the start of 1999, after which they were gone.

The 2000's starting in 1999 makes no sense! The things that defined the 2000's weren't established, relevant or didn't even exist until 2003 at the earliest and 2004 at the latest. The rest of the 2000's was so entirely different from 2000-2002.

Pokémon was everywhere in stores from the start of the 2000s all the way to the finish.  Family Guy premiered right after the Superbowl in 1999.  I don't know what things you're referring to that didn't define the 2000s.  My Chemical Romance?  They were still a popular band for all of 2011, and you can still find copies of Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge in music stores today.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/16/16 at 10:46 pm

You are so right. Before September 25th at 8:30:55 PM, 1999 both TMNT and Transformers toys were on the shelves of Toys R Us stores everywhere. After September 25th at 8:30:55 PM, 1999, Fall Out Boy albums were under our Christmas trees.

Pokémon was everywhere in stores from the start of the 2000s all the way to the finish.  Family Guy premiered right after the Superbowl in 1999.  I don't know what things you're referring to that didn't define the 2000s.  My Chemical Romance?  They were still a popular band for all of 2011, and you can still find copies of Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge in music stores today.

Man, I got re-evaluate my thoughts on the 2000's. September 25th at 8:30:55 PM, 1999 seems to be the real starting point. That day changed everything: Pokemon and Family Guy premiered on TV after the superbowl (even though it's been around since forever, the superbowl is actually for the 2050's decade. In 2061, it will go off the air. Trust me. ;)) replacing the Cosby Show (a show that contained the spirit of 90), My Chemical Romance formed and released their debut Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge right away, we started to wear skinny jeans and listen to our iPods and Optimus Prime was no longer the cultural icon he was from 1990-1998. Grunge wasn't the big 90's trend like Transformers was.

Since 1998 contained the spirit of 90, it looked like this:
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/The-80-s-the-80s-555555_780_768.jpg

As you see, the culture in this photo are things that took place throughout the 80's but are meant for the 90's so they're 90's things.

1999, however, was a completely different year. Before September 25th at 8:30:55 PM, 1999 it still had the spirit of 1990 but after that date it looked like this:
http://www.theaquarian.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/black-veil-brides.jpg

Black hair dye was in the stockings of children everywhere on Christmas 1999.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 11:13 pm

'99 was exactly like 1998? So I was imagining things when Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace was in theaters, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire debuted in the US, and the Backstreet Boys released their album Millennium?

Most of the western culture started in the 1990s was gone before 2011. The things that premiered in 1999 are still around today in some form or another. ER, for example, aired on NBC from September 19, 1994 to April 2, 2009. It was on much longer in the 2000s, but it is best remember as a '90s TV show because its ratings dropped after May 20th of 1999. The program may not have defined the 2000s decade, but it made the 2000s atmosphere complete.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/16/16 at 11:23 pm

'99 was exactly like 1998? So I was imagining things when Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace was in theaters, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire debuted in the US, and the Backstreet Boys released their album Millennium?

You're right. All of these things right here from 1998:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bmMOa6tJL.jpg

http://direct-ns.rhap.com/imageserver/v2/albums/Alb.46064650/images/500x500.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/78/Waste_of_Mind.jpg

http://images.lifeandstylemag.com/uploads/photos/file/89437/cant-hardly-wait.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61lJi%2BQyznL.jpg

http://www.miamibeach411.com/ee/images/uploads/theres_something_about_mary_poster.jpg

http://www.amoeba.com/sized-images/max/500/500/uploads/albums/covers/by_title/F/Korn_Follow.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WARUSv5CL.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GqzN4-ajL._SX355_.jpg

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/dawsonscreek/assets/images/onesheet.jpg

http://static.idolator.com/uploads/2013/03/20/nsync-justin-timberlake-debut-album-i-want-you-back-tearin-up-my-heart.jpg

...they sure all fit in more with the mid 90's than the late 90's and early 00's. I could not imagine anything I've posted above ever being released or continuing throughout 1999-2002 at all. Nope! They could of come out in 1990 (the spirit of 1990 is strong with these 1998 releases) but not 1999-2002. The sound, fashion and style was a huge, huge difference. Totally worlds apart. Not similar at all! Not one bit! No way, no how!

But things like:
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110512192514/lyricwiki/images/8/83/Blink-182_-_Enema_of_the_State.jpg

https://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2015-06/30/14/enhanced/webdr08/enhanced-1446-1435688095-1.jpg

http://img17.shop-pro.jp/PA01274/435/product/75185676.jpg?20140901205539

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0002/507/MI0002507810.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

http://www.locandinebest.net/imgk/american%20pie.jpg

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0001/707/MI0001707284.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0000/226/MI0000226211.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

...from 1999 are so world's apart from things released in 1998 that they're more comparable with things from the mid 2000's like:

http://www.mistreci.com/filma/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Mean-Girls-HD.jpg

http://crypticrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/corktree_cd.png

https://metacriticdoesntreviewthis.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/deardiarymyteenangst_fromfirsttolast.jpg

http://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/my-chemical-romance-three-cheers-for-sweet-revenge.jpg?w=806

http://www.spirit-of-rock.com/les%20goupes/A/Aiden/Our%20Gang's%20Dark%20Oath/Our%20Gang's%20Dark%20Oath.jpg

Only a fool would say 1999 was more like 1998 than 2005.

I must of been dreaming up an imaginary 1998 that was like 1999-2002. Those 1998 photos above? I drew them myself. Silly me.

Most of the western culture started in the 1990s was gone before 2011. The things that premiered in 1999 are still around today in some form or another. ER, for example, aired on NBC from September 19, 1994 to April 2, 2009. It was on much longer in the 2000s, but it is best remember as a '90s TV show because its ratings dropped after May 20th of 1999. The program may not have defined the 2000s decade, but it made the 2000s atmosphere complete.

Days of Our Lives started in the 60's. Are we still in the 60's today? Does the spirit of '65 live on or did it die in 1989 along with American Bandstand (the staple show of the 80's)?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 11:37 pm

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles re-issues were exclusive to stores at that time like they are today.

1999:

http://thegeeksverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_Leonardo_1998.jpg

2015:

http://www.actionfigurefury.com/wp-content/uploads/TMNT-Retro-Collection-Raphael-1.jpg

Technically, Pokémon trading cards were in stores from the start of the 2000s to the very end. The first Family Guy episode directed by Dominic Polcino did air in the US on April 18, 1999. Dominic last worked on the show in 2011. I have never heard of the group My Chemical Romance. Where are they now?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/16/16 at 11:43 pm

You are so right. Before September 25th at 8:30:55 PM, 1999 both TMNT and Transformers toys were on the shelves of Toys R Us stores everywhere. After September 25th at 8:30:55 PM, 1999, Fall Out Boy albums were under our Christmas trees.

Man, I got re-evaluate my thoughts on the 2000's. September 25th at 8:30:55 PM, 1999 seems to be the real starting point. That day changed everything: Pokemon and Family Guy premiered on TV after the superbowl (even though it's been around since forever, the superbowl is actually for the 2050's decade. In 2061, it will go off the air. Trust me. ;)) replacing the Cosby Show (a show that contained the spirit of 90), My Chemical Romance formed and released their debut Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge right away, we started to wear skinny jeans and listen to our iPods and Optimus Prime was no longer the cultural icon he was from 1990-1998. Grunge wasn't the big 90's trend like Transformers was.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/The-80-s-the-80s-555555_780_768.jpg

As you see, the culture in this photo are things that took place throughout the 80's but are meant for the 90's so they're 90's things.

1999, however, was a completely different year. Before September 25th at 8:30:55 PM, 1999 it still had the spirit of 1990 but after that date it looked like this:

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/552/073/ea3

Lesser-Known Things from 1998

Extreme Ghostbusters
Beast Wars: Transformers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation
WCW Nitro
G.I. Joe The Real American Hero Collection
Team Knight Rider
Indiana Jones Adventureland Attraction Series at Disneyland
Thundercats reruns on Toonami
Snorks reruns on Cartoon Network
Wide-Screen DVD release of Tron
Mario Party
Care Bear Beanlings
Hot Wheels Masters of the Universe future car
Rambo and the Dalai Lama: The Compulsion to Win and Its Threat to Human
Book

Voltron: The Third Dimension
Smurfs reruns on Cartoon Network
Universal Studios ET in hoodie plush
DEVO- Greatest Hits Album
Star Wars Power of the Force action figures
Vanity  Fair magazine from July of '98 with "Ronnie and Nancy on the cover
Public Enemy "He Got Game" soundtrack
Clam Shell Sleeve Copy of "The Goonies"
1:25 General Lee Car Die-Cast by Ertl

I could not find anything for She-Ra, Silverhawks, Jem, or Bravestarr, but 2 out of 3 is not bad.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/16/16 at 11:46 pm

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/552/073/ea3

No? It's true! The 2000's began in 1999, right? Which means that Black haired Myspace Emo, which defined the 2000's, had to have existed in 1999.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jacko/v2/wp-content/uploads/TheFacts.gif

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 12:18 am

Pokémon and Pokémania existed in 1998 is all I have to say for this 1998/1999/2000 topic. :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 12:23 am

Pokémon and Pokémania existed in 1998 is all I have to say for this 1998/1999/2000 topic. :P

You mean 1998/1999/2000/2001/2002 topic? :P

Written By: #Infinity on 01/17/16 at 12:26 am

No? It's true! The 2000's began in 1999, right? Much means that Black haired Myspace Emo, which defined the 2000's, had to have existed in 1999.

You're missing the point.  1999 was simply the quintessential year of the 2000s and the point of comparison for the whole decade.  As the 2000s continued, the spirit of '99 faded, as the spirit of '11 started to crawl in.

Here's a basic overview of what defined the 2000s decade:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/Unbreakable_cover.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/The_book_of_love.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61IRrinv9IL.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/V-F-H/boxart/ppg_10th.png

http://images.betanews.com/screenshots/1003279686-1.jpg

http://streamd.hitparade.ch/cdimages/vengaboys-forever_as_one_s_1.jpg

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0000/499/MI0000499217.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e0/The_Simpsons_-_The_11th_Season.jpg

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mkwPmJ5YeTg1TZPcn1UKB2w.jpg

This, of course, was accompanied by lots of incoming 2010s culture, which eventually brought us to the year 2011, a year which can be summed up as such:

http://hw-img.datpiff.com/m84978cb/Soulja_Boy_Skate_Boy_halloween_Edition-front-large.jpg

http://www-sassisamblog-com.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/watch-hoodwinked-too-hood-vs-evil-online.jpg

http://yugioh-wiki.de/w/images/thumb/5/59/Yu-Gi-Oh_5Ds_World_Championship_2011.png/250px-Yu-Gi-Oh_5Ds_World_Championship_2011.png

http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/03/05/fmimg8470201860842949698_257x386.jpg

http://adage.com/images/bin/image/large/08-23-2011-myspace-screenshot.jpg?1314111981

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 12:28 am

You mean 1998/1999/2000/2001/2002 topic? :P

I've seen references to 1991/1992/1993/1994/1995/1996/1997/1998/1999/2000/2001/2002/2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2011/2012/2013/2014/2015/2016 in this topic.  :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 12:35 am

You're missing the point.  1999 was simply the quintessential year of the 2000s and the point of comparison for the whole decade.  As the 2000s continued, the spirit of '99 faded, as the spirit of '11 started to crawl in.

Here's a basic overview of what defined the 2000s decade:

This, of course, was accompanied by lots of incoming 2010s culture, which eventually brought us to the year 2011, a year which can be summed up as such:

You and TheEarly90sGuy have opened my eyes. The 2000's were really defined by movies like The Book of Life and Unbreakable; the quintessential 2000's cultural icons. It's not like those things are cheap unsuccessful knocks-off trying to revive and cash in on things that stopped being relevant in 2003. No way at all. It's Korn's untitled album that everyone talks about. Nobody cares about Follow the Leader, Issues or Untouchables as those albums were only building blocks to the 2000's except Follow the Leader. That is not on the came caliber as the others because it was released in 1998 when the spirit of 1990 was still strong. Korn hit their peak in 2007 when everybody still listened to Nu Metal!

This is what we wore in the 90's (1990-1998):
http://maikwiedenbach.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/frankie-say-relax.jpg

And this is what we wore from 1999 onward:
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000126208/polls_aiden_4606_426823_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg

I've seen references to 1991/1992/1993/1994/1995/1996/1997/1998/1999/2000/2001/2002/2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2011/2012/2013/2014/2015/2016 in this topic.  :P

Hahaha, that's true. ;D

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/17/16 at 12:46 am

The  Pokémania?

This one:

1Dl7YF5Mr8Q

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 12:54 am

The  Pokémania?

This one:

1Dl7YF5Mr8Q

He is right, you know. The PokeyDaMans were pretty big from 1998 to 2003 before that orange haired chick left the show.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/17/16 at 1:00 am

He is right, you know. The PokeyDaMans were pretty big from 1998 to 2003 before that orange haired chick left the show.

The fact remains that it was its height in the year 1999.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 1:02 am

The fact remains that it was its height in the year 1999.

Yes, but it's absolute peak and what is viewed as the shows/games/whatever the hell those monsters are golden age is 1998 to 2003. 

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 2:07 am

The  Pokémania?

This one:

1Dl7YF5Mr8Q

Yes! That one  :D I remember those Pokéballs from Burger King. My brother pretended to be this chick's girlfriend because she would give him free Pokémon cards LOL

Pokémania started with the release of Pokémon Red/Blue, which still is to this day the best selling video game of all time, and of course the airing of the TV show itself in 1998. It was at it's peak in 1999 (when the movie came out) and 2000 (with the release of Pokémon Gold/Silver and the Gameboy Color), and levelled off after that.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 2:16 am

Yes, but it's absolute peak and what is viewed as the shows/games/whatever the hell those monsters are golden age is 1998 to 2003.

In 2003 it was still popular with the release of Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire. That game sold gangbusters, probably still in the top 10 best selling games of all time. But it sold less compared to Gold/Silver/Crystal and Red/Blue/Yellow, because those games are #4 and #1 best selling games of all time respectively.  ;) (I don't count games that are bundled with consoles).

But yeah, the TV series had it first decline in viewership in 2001 with the end of the Kanto region, but still popular that year with the release of Pokemon Stadium 2. It's biggest decline in viewership came in 2003 with the end of the Johto league. The "orange haired girl leaving" came a bit after, in late 2003. I think plenty of people stopped watching before that though, but her leaving made sure none of the older fans would ever watch it again!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 2:26 am

In 2003 it was still popular with the release of Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire. That game sold gangbusters, probably still in the top 10 best selling games of all time. But it sold less compared to Gold/Silver/Crystal and Red/Blue/Yellow, because those games are #4 and #1 best selling games of all time respectively.  ;) (I don't count games that are bundled with consoles).

But yeah, the TV series had it first decline in viewership in 2001 with the end of the Kanto region, but still popular that year with the release of Pokemon Stadium 2. It's biggest decline in viewership came in 2003 with the end of the Johto league. The "orange haired girl leaving" came a bit after, in late 2003. I think plenty of people stopped watching before that though, but her leaving made sure none of the older fans would ever watch it again!

So, would you say that the absolute peak of Pokemon would be 1998 to 2003 with 1999 being it's biggest year? I really don't know all that much about these monsters but I think that, despite it's small fall, it's popularity in 2001 and 2002 was still more comparable to 1999 than to it's status in the mid 00's. I don't remember hearing all that much ranting and raving about Pokemon after 2003. It also seems that Ruby/Sapphire is the Game Boy Advance's best selling game; selling out at 16.22 million units. That says a lot to me.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 2:37 am

So, would you say that the absolute peak of Pokemon would be 1998 to 2003 with 1999 being it's biggest year? I really don't know all that much about these monsters but I think that, despite it's small fall, it's popularity in 2001 and 2002 was still more comparable to 1999 than to it's status in the mid 00's. I don't remember hearing all that much ranting and raving about Pokemon after 2003. It also seems that Ruby/Sapphire is the Game Boy Advance's best selling game; selling out at 16.22 million units. That says a lot to me.

I think for late 80s babies, they probably stopped watching after 2000, so for them it would 1998-2000. Us early 90s babies watched to 2003 though, so yeah, 1998-2003.

The games still make huge sales (mostly from us older fans though, biggest demographic for Pokémon games is now 20-30 y/os) and the TV show is still running, but yeah the "mania" was gone by 2001, and the "craze" was dead by 2003.

First Generation --- Pokémon Red/Blue (1998) sold 31.37 million copies, Pokémon Yellow (1999) sold 14.64 million.
Second Generation --- Pokémon Gold/Silver (2000) sold 23.10 million copies, Pokémon Crystal (2001) sold 6.39 million.
Third Generation --- Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire (2003) sold 15.85 million copies, Pokémon Emerald (2005) sold 6.41 million.
Fourth Generation ---- Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (2006) sold 18.29 million copies, Pokémon Platinum (2008) sold 7.77 million.
Fifth Generation --- Pokémon Black/White (2010) sold 15.23 million copies.
Sixth Generation --- Pokémon X/Y (2013) sold 13.52 million copies.**

**A shame, since it's my favourite out of the six! I think people prefer games on their iPhones instead of handhelds these days, so sad to see :(

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/17/16 at 2:44 am

I think for late 80s babies, they probably stopped watching after 2000, so for them it would 1998-2000. Us early 90s babies watched to 2003 though, so yeah, 1998-2003.

The games still make huge sales (mostly from us older fans though, biggest demographic for Pokémon games is now 20-30 y/os) and the TV show is still running, but yeah the "mania" was gone by 2001, and the "craze" was dead by 2003.

I actually still watched on a consistent basis until 2006.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 2:47 am

I actually still watched on a consistent basis until 2006.

Yeah, my sisters born 2005 are watching it these days in 2016! That's because I bullied them into watching it though, and now they're hooked  ;D

The main Pokémon era ended in 2003ish or 2000ish though (depending on who you ask). It's just not the same now like it was back then, when every single walking moment we lived Pokémon  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 2:57 am

First Generation --- Pokémon Red/Blue (1998) sold 31.37 million copies, Pokémon Yellow (1999) sold 14.64 million.
Second Generation --- Pokémon Gold/Silver (2000) sold 23.10 million copies, Pokémon Crystal (2001) sold 6.39 million.
Third Generation --- Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire (2003) sold 15.85 million copies, Pokémon Emerald (2005) sold 6.41 million.
Fourth Generation ---- Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (2006) sold 18.29 million copies, Pokémon Platinum (2008) sold 7.77 million.

**A shame, since it's my favourite out of the six! I think people prefer games on their iPhones instead of handhelds these days, so sad to see :(

That seem fair. All I remember is that I stopped hearing about Pokemon around 2004 or so. I didn't know it was still a big thing (nor did I know that Pokemon in 2006 outsold Pokemon in 2000 and 2003!).

I found a chart documenting the sales. I don't know if this is Japanese or worldwide but I think it's the latter:

http://i.imgur.com/9qJnrJr.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 3:08 am

Nice! Those sales look global, those release dates are Japanese though. Especially for the earlier Pokémon games, it would take a year or two before they came to North America, and then they'd take an extra year or two to release in Europe! Now they have simultaneous worldwide releases.

The Pokémon game in 2006 was mostly targetted towards teens/young adults of the time. Even today, the main cash machine for Pokémon is young adults. We're the ones buying all the Pokémon toys and games. Kids buy them too, but they're not the main sales driver anymore.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/17/16 at 3:11 am

;D

Written By: #Infinity on 01/17/16 at 3:12 am

I think the classic Pokémon era ended, firstly, with the decline of Pokémania and subsequent rise of Yu-Gi-Oh! in 2001-2002, and secondly, with the release of Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire, which got rid of the franchise's "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" tagline and omitted most old Pokémon.  By that point, there were too many monsters for casual fans to keep serious track of, though the designs still weren't quite as absurd as they would be by Generation V.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 3:39 am

Nice! Those sales look global, those release dates are Japanese though. Especially for the earlier Pokémon games, it would take a year or two before they came to North America, and then they'd take an extra year or two to release in Europe! Now they have simultaneous worldwide releases.

The Pokémon game in 2006 was mostly targetted towards teens/young adults of the time. Even today, the main cash machine for Pokémon is young adults. We're the ones buying all the Pokémon toys and games. Kids buy them too, but they're not the main sales driver anymore.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw the dates.

Woah, really? I thought it was still kids buying these games!? :o I guess it does make sense, though.

I think the classic Pokémon era ended, firstly, with the decline of Pokémania and subsequent rise of Yu-Gi-Oh! in 2001-2002, and secondly, with the release of Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire, which got rid of the franchise's "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" tagline and omitted most old Pokémon.  By that point, there were too many monsters for casual fans to keep serious track of, though the designs still weren't quite as absurd as they would be by Generation V.

So... You'd say 2003 is when it ended, then? That's how it's seeming to me right now. I guess I can see why people would say Pokemon's decline started in 2000 because of sales but if the games and cast are the same, I don't really see how there'd be a difference. That orange haired chick leaving seems to have had a big impact on kids for some reason. She has a dumb haircut.

I did research on that catch phrase and apparently in New York there was a "Gotta Catch 'Em All" station that had events to catch special shiny Pokemon you couldn't normally get in game. Why is it so important that the Pokemon are shiny or not!? Are they more powerful like super saiyans? First, I read about how some chick with a stupid orange haircut is so important to the franchise and now I am reading about how important it is that you get shiny Pokemon. Can someone explain this to me because I don't understand any of this. Anyways, the events ran from November 22th, 2001 up to March 13th, 2003. I guess 2001-2003 are the last years that this iconic phrase was widely used?

If you wanna check it out here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Gotta_Catch_'Em_All_event_Pok%C3%A9mon#List_of_event_Pok.C3.A9mon

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 3:51 am

I know Yugioh was popular among boys, but I don't remember playing it with the girls. Pokémon was a lot more gender inclusive. But yeah, the Pokémon trading cards were out by 2002 in favour of Yugioh.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw the dates.

Woah, really? I thought it was still kids buying these games!? :o I guess it does make sense, though.

So... You'd say 2003 is when it ended, then? That's how it's seeming to me right now. I guess I can see why people would say Pokemon's decline started in 2000 because of sales but if the games and cast are the same, I don't really see how there'd be a difference. That orange haired chick leaving seems to have had a big impact on kids for some reason. She has a dumb haircut.

I did research on that catch phrase and apparently in New York there was a "Gotta Catch 'Em All" station that had events to catch special shiny Pokemon you couldn't normally get in game. Why is it so important that the Pokemon are shiny or not!? Are they more powerful like super saiyans? First, I read about how some chick with a stupid orange haircut is so important to the franchise and now I am reading about how important it is that you get shiny Pokemon. Can someone explain this to me because I don't understand any of this. Anyways, the events ran from November 22th, 2001 up to March 13th, 2003. I guess 2001-2003 are the last years that this iconic phrase was widely used?

If you wanna check it out here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Gotta_Catch_'Em_All_event_Pok%C3%A9mon#List_of_event_Pok.C3.A9mon

Haha, there's no actual difference between shiny and nonshiny. Shiny Pokémon are just very difficult to find and catch, and they look nicer. I think I've only ever caught one shiny Pokémon, and I've put hundreds of hours on all the games, to give you an example of how rare they are :p

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 4:00 am

I know Yugioh was popular among boys, but I don't remember playing it with the girls. Pokémon was a lot more gender inclusive. But yeah, the Pokémon trading cards were out by 2002 in favour of Yugioh.

I know literally nothing about Yu Gi Oh whatsoever except that it was popular from 2000-2004. Do you catch monsters in that game, too?

Haha, there's no actual difference between shiny and nonshiny. Shiny Pokémon are just very difficult to find and catch, and they look nicer. I think I've only ever caught one shiny Pokémon, and I've put hundreds of hours on all the games, to give you an example of how rare they are :p

Really? That's it? I thought Pokemon teams were supposed to be tough and strong, not look good. Man... Even those movies were weird!

Written By: #Infinity on 01/17/16 at 4:17 am

I know literally nothing about Yu Gi Oh whatsoever except that it was popular from 2000-2004. Do you catch monsters in that game, too?

It's primarily a card game, both in real life, as well as in the anime, which has cheesy themes like the power of friendship and the "heart of the cards."

Really? That's it? I thought Pokemon teams were supposed to be tough and strong, not look good. Man... Even those movies were weird!

The shiny thing all goes back to a plot point in Pokémon Gold & Silver, in which Team Rocket transmits a radio signal that apparently causes a Gyrados to turn red.  It's frankly one of the more ridiculous aspects about Pokémon, up with Pokerus, slot machines, and the Master Ball radio lottery.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 4:18 am

Nope! Yugioh is exclusively a card trading game. It involves a lot of math, being strategic and taking turns  ;D

Pokémon are supposed to be tough, but being shiny and tough is even better  :D

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/17/16 at 7:18 am

This.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/17/16 at 9:09 am

No? It's true! The 2000's began in 1999, right? Which means that Black haired Myspace Emo, which defined the 2000's, had to have existed in 1999.

How could the black haired MySpace emo look define the entire 2000s time when that look did not appear until 2005?

The Get Up Kids fans were wearing black hair dye in 1999, but MySpace was not created until 2003.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/17/16 at 9:15 am

Finally, somebody who thinks that the 2000s started in 1999.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 10:45 am

How could the black haired MySpace emo look define the entire 2000s time when that look did not appear until 2005?

The Get Up Kids fans were wearing black hair dye in 1999, but MySpace was not created until 2003.

I was joking. My point was, you said that the 2000's started in 1999 and then you go to prove my point by bring up how one thing that defined 2000's trends wasn't even a thing until 2003. That look first appeared in 2003 and was fully established in June of 2004. How can you say 2005 when bands like Hawthorne Heights, Aiden, From First to Last and even My Chemical Romance had already adopted that look??

I don't see how 1999 up to 2002 is 2000's in anyway (aside from "what-if 2000's"). The only thing I can think of that actually was 2000's in 1999 is Hip Hop or more dancy-club type RnB, but those genres sounded very core 2000's in 1997, too.

No, they weren't. I was going to Get Up Kids shows in 1999. If you said Thursday or other Post-Hardcore/Emo and Screamo (like Orchid or Pg. 99) fans, I'd agree but that doesn't help your point as that goes back waaayyy before 1999. Poppier Emo bands like The Get Up Kids didn't really have followers like that. I'll show you below how they dressed, Also, the earliest of the dying your hair black thing in the Emo scene goes way back to 1996.

The usual Emo look from 1994 to 2003:
http://www.dobi.nu/yourscenesucks/prehistoric/scene.jpg

This make shock you but this Emo photo is from... 2004!! 2004 onward:
http://www.bringthenoiseuk.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/From+First+to+Last-200.jpg

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 10:48 am

Finally, somebody who thinks that the 2000s started in 1999.

No, I think the 2000's started in 1998. Not even the real 2000's, though. The "what-if 2000's".

1998-2002 has shown to be more like a mini-era of the 90's, anyway.

The real 2000's started in 2003 and 2004.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 11:18 am

It's primarily a card game, both in real life, as well as in the anime, which has cheesy themes like the power of friendship and the "heart of the cards."

The shiny thing all goes back to a plot point in Pokémon Gold & Silver, in which Team Rocket transmits a radio signal that apparently causes a Gyrados to turn red.  It's frankly one of the more ridiculous aspects about Pokémon, up with Pokerus, slot machines, and the Master Ball radio lottery.

Oh no. I don't want to hear anymore about anime! I have learned enough about it in another thread for one day.

I have no idea what any of these things are but I'll go along with it. :P

Nope! Yugioh is exclusively a card trading game. It involves a lot of math, being strategic and taking turns  ;D

Pokémon are supposed to be tough, but being shiny and tough is even better  :D

That doesn't sound very fun. Math and strategy? I suck at both of those!

Blind your opponents!

But yeah, the Pokémon trading cards were out by 2002 in favour of Yugioh.

2002 = last real Pokemon year?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/17/16 at 11:24 am

No, I think the 2000's started in 1998. Not even the real 2000's, though. The "what-if 2000's".

That's understandable. I have friends who believe the '90s started on November 9th of 1989. There were zero traces of '00s culture, like Law and Order, in 1989, but it was starting to look a little bit like the very beginning of 1990 by the end of the last month.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 11:30 am

Oh no. I don't want to hear anymore about anime! I have learned enough about it in another thread for one day.

I have no idea what any of these things are but I'll go along with it. :P

That doesn't sound very fun. Math and strategy? I suck at both of those!

Blind your opponents!

2002 = last real Pokemon year?

2003 for the TV show. 2001 for the trading cards. Never for the video games  ;D

Oh and Pokémon doesn't have any perverted stuff (Jynx gives me nightmares though), the stuff #Infinity listed is just obsessive collectors stuff. Like you gave to play the game on the 5th of the month at 4PM when it's also a Saturday to get some rare item. Stuff like that :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 2:10 pm

That's understandable. I have friends who believe the '90s started on November 9th of 1989. There were zero traces of '00s culture, like Law and Order, in 1989, but it was starting to look a little bit like the very beginning of 1990 by the end of the last month.

It makes sense if you really look at it. Most relevant 2000's culture didn't exist (aside from what I mentioned) until 2003/2004.

2003 for the TV show. 2001 for the trading cards. Never for the video games  ;D

Oh and Pokémon doesn't have any perverted stuff (Jynx gives me nightmares though), the stuff #Infinity listed is just obsessive collectors stuff. Like you gave to play the game on the 5th of the month at 4PM when it's also a Saturday to get some rare item. Stuff like that :P

This works with my view of 1998-2002 when Pokemon's golden age had spanned from! I do remember my cousins still buying the cards up until 2004, though. After that, I stopped hearing about Pokemans.

Thank god. I was wondering because of everyone's obsession with the orange haired chick. I guess that makes sense then.

Are these the standard Yu Gi Oh fans?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/Yu-Gi-Yo.jpg/800px-Yu-Gi-Yo.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/17/16 at 2:33 pm

Coach, Martin, Wings, Roseanne, Married... With Children, and Hangin' with Mr. Cooper all air their final episodes.

I remember when they had their season finale.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/17/16 at 4:32 pm

Yeah, I remember as the 2001-2002 school year started, Pokemon was starting to become less popular. I mean it wasn't anything instantaneous, but compared to the 1999-2000 and 2000-2001 school years, it was quite a dip in popularity. When they released the 4th movie in November 2002, it was through Miramax, as opposed to the first 3 movies which were through Kids' WB. It did so poorly, that I don't think many people knew that there was a 4th movie out in theaters.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/17/16 at 4:53 pm

Yeah, I remember as the 2001-2002 school year started, Pokemon was starting to become less popular. I mean it wasn't anything instantaneous, but compared to the 1999-2000 and 2000-2001 school years, it was quite a dip in popularity. When they released the 4th movie in November 2002, it was through Miramax, as opposed to the first 3 movies which were through Kids' WB. It did so poorly, that I don't think many people knew that there was a 4th movie out in theaters.

Indigo League, Orange Islands, Johto Journeys, Johto League Champions, and Master Quest were the peak of the Pokemon series. Whether the show was competing with Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh throughout its prime.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/18/16 at 10:07 am

I have once again busted out the ol' Pop Punk CD's from back in the day. I was listening to some stuff from 1997 and I forgot how awfully early 2000's some of the stuff sounded.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/18/16 at 10:29 am

2000 to 2002 felt like post '99 and pre '11 years, though, Jordan.

My younger cousin was a Pokèmon memorabilia collector in that period and he owned almost every promotional Burger King Pokèmon toy released from 1999 to 2001.
He discovered Pokèmon in spring of 1998, but the pop culture sensation became something he could not live without in 1999.

So, I'm more inclined to say that '98 was the last year of the 1990s than the start of a new age. Then again, people do look at things in different ways, so there are lots of probabilities out there.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/18/16 at 1:36 pm

2000 to 2002 felt like post '99 and pre '11 years, though, Jordan.

My younger cousin was a Pokèmon memorabilia collector in that period and he owned almost every promotional Burger King Pokèmon toy released from 1999 to 2001.
He discovered Pokèmon in spring of 1998, but the pop culture sensation became something he could not live without in 1999.

So, I'm more inclined to say that '98 was the last year of the 1990s than the start of a new age. Then again, people do look at things in different ways, so there are lots of probabilities out there.

1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002, hell, even 2003, felt like extensions of 1998. In 1998, the Y2K sound of Nu Metal, Emo, Post Grunge and Pop Punk was fully established (a lot of that sound started in 1997, I'd argue) and adopted by more and more upcoming bands. Hip Hop and Club RnB had already sounded like 2005 in 1997 and 1998 had even more of this. Goofy fast paced Comedy movies like Something About Mary and Can't Hardly Wait started what American Pie continued. TV wise? Buffy, Dexter's, Johnny Bravo, Dawson's Creek, Felicity and Sex in the City (to name some examples) had already started. All these shows were popular until 2003/2004. Not to mention shows like Friends and Frasier which started in 1994/1993 and lasted until 2004, making the early 2000's feel even more like a part of the 90's. Flannel and Grunge had already died by late 1997 and Beavis and Butthead was no longer on the air. How does that feel totally 90's? Windows 98 and the internet had started to reach more people (but would not really become too common until 2004-2005) and we had the mp3 player plus the iMac come out this year. Bands like NSYNC and the Backstreets had already gotten popular in 1997. Boybands continued into 2002 (their last relevant year). In 1998, we were already dressing like the early 00's = baggy dickies, loose elbow shirts, spiky frosted tips, chains on our pants, etc. It was 1998 that blink-182 went on the Poo Poo Pee Pee tour. Their first tour with Travis Barker, who would play drums on Enema of the State. They toured with bands such as Home Grown, Jimmy Eat World, MxPx, The Ataris and Unwritten Law, all who sounded very early 00's by time they released anything in 1998. All these bands would be very relevant, without having to change their 1998 sound, throughout the early 2000's but would fall off the map in 2004. 2000-2002 continued all these trends and even 2003 was 85% a continuation of these trends. 2004 onward had a much different focus than the early 2000's. It was a completely different world by then.

My younger cousins (I have a lot. They're all second and third, though) loved Pokemon until 2004 or so. I don't know much about it but it seems, based on all the opinions everyone here has given me (thanks guys!) it's overall peak was 1998-2003 but it was at it biggest in 1999.

Your point would make a little sense if you started in 2004. The "build up and sequels" idea doesn't really make much sense but the 2010's take the technology and trends from the mid to late 2000's and build upon (not build up) them while totally forgetting the early 2000's (which was much less digital and connected and totally different from the rest of the decade). I'm more inclined to say 1998 was the beginning of the early 00's and very early 2004 is the end of the late 90's.

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/16 at 5:50 pm

This thread had more discussion about 1999 than 1997 ;D

I'm inclined to agree with Jordan. There's not a big difference between 1998 and 1999. Pokémon was big in 98, it was just bigger in 99. And of course it was still formidable in 2000, 2001, 2002 and first half of 2003.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/18/16 at 6:04 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Jordan. There's not a big difference between 1998 and 1999. Pokémon was big in 98, it was just bigger in 99.

It was the norm for children to collect Pokèmon trading cards in 1999. That information alone separates 1998 from '99.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/18/16 at 6:07 pm

This thread had more discussion about 1999 than 1997 ;D

I'm inclined to agree with Jordan. There's not a big difference between 1998 and 1999. Pokémon was big in 98, it was just bigger in 99. And of course it was still formidable in 2000, 2001, 2002 and first half of 2003.

Me and TheEarly90sguy have seemed to shove 1990 to 2011 in it. Business as usual.

I am glad you agree with me. 1998-2003 is one big era! ;D I think my argument above shows how 1998 and 1999 (and the early 2000's) are similar.

It was the norm for children to collect Pokèmon trading cards in 1999. That information alone separates 1998 from '99.

Dude, he was born in 1993. I think he'd know more about when kids were playing Pokemon in the late 90's and early 00's than 70's and early 80's borns like us.

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/16 at 6:08 pm

It was all 1998-99 school year. The trading cards built on the popularity of the TV show and the video game, it's not as if it came out of nowhere.

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/16 at 6:18 pm

Me and TheEarly90sguy have seemed to shove 1990 to 2011 in it. Business as usual.

I am glad you agree with me. 1998-2003 is one big era! ;D I think my argument above shows how 1998 and 1999 (and the early 2000's) are similar.

Dude, he was born in 1993. I think he'd know more about when kids were playing Pokemon in the late 90's and early 00's than 70's and early 80's borns like us.

Haha yes. I even entered grade school in 98 and got thrown straight into Pokémon frenzy. It was also the year Zelda: Ocarina of Time came out. 1998 is legendary for video games.  :D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/18/16 at 6:23 pm

Haha yes. I even entered grade school in 98 and got thrown straight into Pokémon frenzy. It was also the year Zelda: Ocarina of Time came out. 1998 is legendary for video games.  :D

Exactly. Kids were playing with Pokemon throughout 1998 to 2003. So many people here have stated this in one way or another. I don't see how Pokemon came out of nowhere in 1999 "and started the 2000's" or whatever Mr. HypercolorManoftheEarly90's thinks. Even for teen/adult pop culture, 1998 was clearly when a lot of new things were established. It was 1998 when Pop Punk would update itself to the early 2000's sound (which actually started in 1997. Moreso than I thought, after listening to my old CD's!) I still own Ocarina of Time for my N64! That game rules! :P

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/18/16 at 7:06 pm

Exactly. Kids were playing with Pokemon throughout 1998 to 2003. So many people here have stated this in one way or another. I don't see how Pokemon came out of nowhere in 1999 "and started the 2000's" or whatever Mr. HypercolorManoftheEarly90's thinks. Even for teen/adult pop culture, 1998 was clearly when a lot of new things were established. It was 1998 when Pop Punk would update itself to the early 2000's sound (which actually started in 1997. Moreso than I thought, after listening to my old CD's!) I still own Ocarina of Time for my N64! That game rules! :P

I still own my copy of Ocarina of Time too, as well as my N64. Though technically I got them in 1999, for my 6th birthday. Both still work perfectly, somehow  :)

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/18/16 at 7:07 pm

I know what you mean, I also got into both when I entered elementary school. Though it was during the 1999-2000 school year, for me. Good times, good times.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/18/16 at 7:18 pm

I'm going to have to take the middle ground. Yeah, Pokemania hadn't taken off quite yet in 1998, but it was definitely growing in popularity over the 1998-1999 school year.

This KFC ad came out in 1998:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XOMPfmqbcM

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/16 at 7:32 pm

I know what you mean, I also got into both when I entered elementary school. Though it was during the 1999-2000 school year, for me. Good times, good times.

1999-2000 school year was the best! Didn't have a care in the world.

In 1998 I was obsesses with:
Pokémon, N64 and... Lion King 2!

In 1999 I was obsessed with:
Pokémon, N64 and... Toy Story 2!

In 1997 I was obsessed with:
Barney, Power Rangers and... Batman and Robin  :-[

1998-99, 1999-00, 2000-01, really fun school years  :D

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/18/16 at 10:34 pm

Eh. If there had been no teen pop then I could possibly agree.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/19/16 at 2:56 am

I still own my copy of Ocarina of Time too, as well as my N64. Though technically I got them in 1999, for my 6th birthday. Both still work perfectly, somehow  :)

I got my N64 way back in 1996! Still works! ;D Both Ocarina and Majora's Mask are super rad games.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/19/16 at 6:37 pm

I never said it came out of nowhere then. Pokemon was at its absolute peak in the year 1999.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/19/16 at 6:38 pm

I'm going to have to take the middle ground. Yeah, Pokemania hadn't taken off quite yet in 1998, but it was definitely growing in popularity over the 1998-1999 school year.

This KFC ad came out in 1998:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XOMPfmqbcM

Its breakout year was in 1999. Enough said.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/19/16 at 6:50 pm

I never said it came out of nowhere then. Pokemon was at its absolute peak in the year 1999.

Most people here have said they first heard about and starting playing with Pokemon in 1998. Why is Pokemon so important to you, anyway? It's not the only thing out there and it's for kids. Not as significant as the adult stuff going on. If you really look at it, you'll see the starting points of the 1998-2002/2003 period as far back as 1996 but they weren't fully established in 1998 thanks to the transitions of 1997 (which is more of a core 90's year than a Y2K era until December when Gunge had died and Beavis and Butthead went off the air). 1999-2002 didn't feel like real 2000's years like 2004-2009 did. Even 2011 and 2012 feel more 2000's than 1999-2002 did.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/19/16 at 7:17 pm

/img]

Extreme Ghostbusters
WCW Nitro
Team Knight Rider
Mario Party
Care Bear Beanlings
Book

I could not find anything for She-Ra, Silverhawks, Jem, or Bravestarr, but 2 out of 3 is not bad.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/19/16 at 7:32 pm

Extreme Ghostbusters
WCW Nitro
Team Knight Rider
Mario Party
Care Bear Beanlings
Book

Ronald Reagan's presidency is a 90's presidency. It may have started in the 80's but it was meant for the 90's and when 1999 came his presidency wasn't here anymore.

Most of these things are crappy, unsuccessful knock-offs that nobody cared about. Mario Party games are still being made. In 2002, they made an Extreme Ghostbusters game and Devo released another hits comp called The Essentials. Wouldn't an Xtreme! Ghostbusters show just prove my point? Extreme culture was a huge thing in the early 2000's that got big in 1998. In 2003 a new TMNT show premiered just like in 1998, except this show was actually successful.

It was 1998 when the music styles and fashions of 1999-2002/2003 were already established. An album like Home Grown's Act Your Age sounds just like everything released in the early 00's. It should of been much bigger than Enema of the State, too. It came out in June 1998 on the Major Label Outpost Recordings. Funny how June is always the month of big things. In June 1997, what might be the first early 00's sounding Pop Punk full length (early 00's sounding EP's first came out in 1996), Pop and Disorderly by Limp was released. From there on, bands everywhere started imitating that sound but it wasn't until 1998 that the sound was really established. Movies like Can't Hardly Wait started what American Pie continued until 2004 when Mean Girls changed the focus of teen movies into a more serious direction. 1998 was also a big year for Creed, Limp Bizkit and Korn. Post-Grunge and Nu Metal continued to be big into the early 2000's.

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/16 at 7:45 pm

Mario Party came out 1999 in the West ;D That game was awesome, but not as great as Mario Party 2 which came out 2000.

Most Y2K era kid shows started airing in late 1997. Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Dragon Ball Z, Recess, Hey Arnold! etc.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/19/16 at 7:49 pm

Mario Party came out 1999 in the West ;D That game was awesome, but not as great as Mario Party 2 which came out 2000.

Most Y2K era kid shows started airing in late 1997. Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Dragon Ball Z etc.

Also shows like Buffy, Just Shoot Me, Ally McBeal starting airing. 1997 is when things started becoming more Y2K but 1998 is the first real Y2K year.

Written By: #Infinity on 01/19/16 at 9:18 pm

Most Y2K era kid shows started airing in late 1997. Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Dragon Ball Z, Recess, Hey Arnold! etc.

Dexter's Laboratory, Hey Arnold!, and Dragon Ball Z premiered in the United States in 1996.  The Powerpuff Girls didn't arrive until November 1998.

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/16 at 9:30 pm

Dexter's Laboratory, Hey Arnold!, and Dragon Ball Z premiered in the United States in 1996.  The Powerpuff Girls didn't arrive until November 1998.

Remind me to not post exact dates stuff on mobile.  ;D

Also I just discovered that you Americans had a different opening theme (and a different dub) to Dragon Ball Z than we did  :o

Arthur, Doug and Blues Clues also started airing 1996.

Other Y2K shows of 1997: Cow and Chicken, Bear and the Big Blue House, I Am Weasel, Caillou, Franklin, Teletubbies.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/19/16 at 11:23 pm

Arthur, Doug and Blues Clues also started airing 1996.

Let's remind ourselves that was the (Toon) Disney version of Doug that premiered.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/20/16 at 6:08 pm

I think you're right. I was a kid at that time, and most of my friends were born between 1986-88. For those of us who liked Pokemon, 2000 was generally the last year that we were heavily into the fad. I went to go see Pokemon: The Movie 2000 with my best friend at the theater that summer, and got Pokemon Gold for my Game Boy Color that fall, but I started to heavily lose interest after that. The last Pokemon related item I got was Pokemon Stadium 2 in April 2001, and after that I was on the verge of starting high school and started seeing myself as "too old" to still like Pokemon.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/16 at 10:21 pm

I think you're right. I was a kid at that time, and most of my friends were born between 1986-88. For those of us who liked Pokemon, 2000 was generally the last year that we were heavily into the fad. I went to go see Pokemon: The Movie 2000 with my best friend at the theater that summer, and got Pokemon Gold for my Game Boy Color that fall, but I started to heavily lose interest after that. The last Pokemon related item I got was Pokemon Stadium 2 in April 2001, and after that I was on the verge of starting high school and started seeing myself as "too old" to still like Pokemon.

It's good that you still got to play Pokémon Gold/Silver and Pokémon Stadium 2 and appreciate the second generation. I know a lot of people who say "only the first 151 Pokémon count", and I think it sucks that they couldn't appreciate the next 100. Second gen was equally amazing!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/20/16 at 10:29 pm

I got into them when I was only a preschooler!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/21/16 at 12:27 am

1999-2000 school year was the best! Didn't have a care in the world.

In 1998 I was obsesses with:
Pokémon, N64 and... Lion King 2!

In 1999 I was obsessed with:
Pokémon, N64 and... Toy Story 2!

In 1997 I was obsessed with:
Barney, Power Rangers and... Batman and Robin  :-[

1998-99, 1999-00, 2000-01, really fun school years  :D

For me...
In 1998, I was obsessed with...
Lion King 2, coloring books, toys, Sesame Street,

In 1999, I was obsessed with:
N64, Pokemon, Rugrats, Disney, Blues Clues, Power Rangers

In 2000, I was obsessed with:
N64, Arthur, Digimon, Pokemon, Toy Story 2, Power Rangers

Written By: mqg96 on 01/21/16 at 12:42 am

In 2000, I was obsessed with:
N64, Arthur, Digimon, Pokemon, Toy Story 2, Power Rangers

My 4th birthday cake had Arthur on it including the plates and napkins. So I know I was already exposed to Arthur when I was 3 years old. I can vaguely remember the first episode of Arthur I saw when I was 3 too on PBS, it was the one when Kate was born I think.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/21/16 at 11:57 am

Let's remind ourselves that was the (Toon) Disney version of Doug that premiered.

You're correct that it was the Disney Version of Doug. But it actually aired on ABC, since Toon Disney didn't exist until 1998.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/21/16 at 12:42 pm

It's good that you still got to play Pokémon Gold/Silver and Pokémon Stadium 2 and appreciate the second generation. I know a lot of people who say "only the first 151 Pokémon count", and I think it sucks that they couldn't appreciate the next 100. Second gen was equally amazing!

Which is kind of funny, because everyone talked about how Gold/Silver were an improvement over the original games, when they first came out. I find that these "genwunners" have a skewed memory. Pokemon's popularity didn't decline with Gen 2. If anything, it's popularity increased for a brief period. Sure things eventually cooled off around the summer of 2001. But even then, it's not like Pokemon suddenly declined. It was more gradual.

Check for new replies or respond here...