inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: In what 90s year did Ska music hit its peak?

Written By: 90s Guy on 01/15/16 at 1:35 pm

I've been listening to a lot of Ska (Sublime, No Doubt). I'm curious as to what year in the 90s the genre hit its peak of popularity?

Subject: Re: In what 90s year did Ska music hit its peak?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/16 at 1:37 pm

Ska originated in Jamaica in the late 1950s and was the precursor to rocksteady and reggae. Ska combined elements of Caribbean mento and calypso with American jazz and rhythm and blues. Also, was very popular in the UK in the the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/15/16 at 1:51 pm

You mean Ska Punk? Sometime in 1996 maybe. That's when Reel Big Fish released Sell Out and it was a huge, huge hit. That same year, Less Than Jake released Losing Streak which was a really influential album.

I remember Ska Punk being a big thing from around 1993 when the Bosstones released Don't Know How to Party and continued throughout the early 2000's with stuff like Authority Zero's A Passage in Time.

You're not really doing yourself a favor by listening to bands Sublime and No Doubt. Check out some real good Ska like Less Than Jake, Mustard Plug, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Mu330, Reel Big Fish, Operation Ivy, The Suicide Machines etc.

Written By: #Infinity on 01/15/16 at 2:15 pm

1996, with 1997 coming in a close second.  No Doubt was at their peak in 1996, and that year was when Sublime released their self-titled album, plus there was other popular ska like "Here in Your Bedroom" by Goldfinger, in addition the more underground albums that JordanK1982 listed.  1997 saw the continued success of Sublime's self-titled, as well as "The Impression That I Get" blow up on the charts.  Goldfinger also released their sophomore album that year.

Written By: Ripley on 01/15/16 at 2:40 pm

^I agree with 1996-1997

Written By: Ripley on 01/15/16 at 2:45 pm

I used to be into No Doubt though I'm not particularly a fan of ska punk. But I preferred their album Return of Saturn. Much of which had an Alternative sound. And it makes since since I'm a big fan of 1990s Alternative. The album however was released in 2000 but recorded primarily in 1999.

Written By: 90s Guy on 01/15/16 at 3:40 pm

You mean Ska Punk? Sometime in 1996 maybe. That's when Reel Big Fish released Sell Out and it was a huge, huge hit. That same year, Less Than Jake released Losing Streak which was a really influential album.

I remember Ska Punk being a big thing from around 1993 when the Bosstones released Don't Know How to Party and continued throughout the early 2000's with stuff like Authority Zero's A Passage in Time.

You're not really doing yourself a favor by listening to bands Sublime and No Doubt. Check out some real good Ska like Less Than Jake, Mustard Plug, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Mu330, Reel Big Fish, Operation Ivy, The Suicide Machines etc.

Yes, 90s Ska Punk. Thanks.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/15/16 at 5:04 pm

Yes, 90s Ska Punk. Thanks.

No prob, dude. If you ever want some more Ska recommendations then feel free to hit me up. I know tons of good bands.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/18/16 at 10:35 pm

I like all of those bands that you mentioned but I don't think No Doubt and Sublime are inferior to them.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/18/16 at 11:31 pm

I like all of those bands that you mentioned but I don't think No Doubt and Sublime are inferior to them.

I guess Sublime are kinda decent (Robbin' the Hood is the only record that I really enjoy) and some of No Doubt's debut has some good moments but (mostly No Doubt concerning their post-debut stuff) they don't really have the fun, fast, more-on-the-Punk-side sound that bands like Less Than Jake or Mustard Plug have.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/18/16 at 11:49 pm

I guess Sublime are kinda decent (Robbin' the Hood is the only record that I really enjoy) and some of No Doubt's debut has some good moments but (mostly No Doubt concerning their post-debut stuff) they don't really have the fun, fast, more-on-the-Punk-side sound that bands like Less Than Jake or Mustard Plug have.

Well, I don't really concern myself with how "ska punk" Sublime and No Doubt are. I just like their rock music. I think they're more reggae rock if anything. And do you mean No Doubt's debut as in Tragic Kingdom? I enjoy Tragic Kingdom and Return to Saturn. I don't like Rock Steady at all.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/18/16 at 11:58 pm

Well, I don't really concern myself with how "ska punk" Sublime and No Doubt are. I just like their rock music. I think they're more reggae rock if anything. And do you mean No Doubt's debut as in Tragic Kingdom? I enjoy Tragic Kingdom and Return to Saturn. I don't like Rock Steady at all.

I do. I like music with a good Punky edge. :P Isn't Tragic Kingdom their third album? I know it came out literally right after Bacon Collection did. I mean their very first album from 1992. That one's alright.

Check for new replies or respond here...