inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help needed pinning down 1996 photo date

Written By: 90s Guy on 01/22/16 at 3:17 pm

The only clues as to the exact date of this photo are that it was 1996, that it was summer, and the newspaper in the lower portion of the picture is the New York Daily News. If anyone could help get me what issue/date this excerpt is from from 1996, I'd be able to get the exact date that way.
http://s21.postimg.org/ewqg8yoo7/Summer_1996_27.jpg

Subject: Re: Help needed pinning down 1996 photo date

Written By: 80sfan on 01/22/16 at 8:50 pm

Wow, 1996 is starting to look outdated.  :o

As for the precise date, I'm not good with technology, and I don't have technology good enough to get that information for you.

Written By: 2001 on 01/22/16 at 9:04 pm

Looks like New York Daily News' online archives only go back to 2007.

If you live in New York, you could probably go to a local library and ask them. They usually keep historic newspapers. I got early 20th century newspapers for my home town when I was doing a school project.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/22/16 at 10:02 pm

I'm not a 90s kid (obviously), but why would you need to an exact date for the photo. You already know that it was from 1996, so why bother. That's like me saying when did my baby pictures took place, while I already got the answer (late 1999 to 2002/03).

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/16 at 4:53 pm

If it is a copy of the New York Daily News', have you considered sent the picture attached to an e-mail enquiring the date to them?

Written By: 90s Guy on 01/25/16 at 3:29 pm

If it is a copy of the New York Daily News', have you considered sent the picture attached to an e-mail enquiring the date to them?

I asked. I'd have to go down and view the archives on microfilm at the NY Public Library. They don't have a database or any sort of record keeping in-house for issues older than one year.

Written By: 90s Guy on 01/25/16 at 3:42 pm

I'm not a 90s kid (obviously), but why would you need to an exact date for the photo. You already know that it was from 1996, so why bother. That's like me saying when did my baby pictures took place, while I already got the answer (late 1999 to 2002/03).

Most of my family photos from 1995 to 1996 do not have any dates. The few that do help as wonderful cross-references, but...For example, in the picture above, I have a mullet hairstyle. I had said hairstyle between (based on the few dated photos I have from the year) March 15th and September 4th 1996 (I am pictured with short buzzed hair as of 9/4/96). I know from (dated) photos shot on June 3rd and June 20th 1996 that I had the hairstyle at that point as well.

However, we have a total of over 500 photos taken by my parents for 1996 alone. Some of these I was able to get a rough date on due to memories, but...For example, if I were to able to get the date of the picture above, let's say it was 7/13/1996. I could then use that date to narrow down the dates of other photos. For example, my father and I took a trip to Virginia that summer which I cherish, it was a fun trip; I would very much like to know when exactly during that summer it was. If the above photo is 7-13-1996, I can narrow down that I wasn't in Virginia on that date, or dates a few days before or after (as we were there a few days to a week). There are other photos I can possibly get the dates of and then further cross reference, further narrowing down the possibilities (or at least, eliminating possible dates).

Likewise, in another snapshot from that day at the beach, my mother is wearing a particular necklace she only wore for a certain period of time in the spring/summer of 1996 (in other undated photos). If I had a firm reference date with this photo, I can then more reliably place at least a month (if not an exact date) to other photos in the year.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/25/16 at 6:29 pm

I say July 1996. Because children leave school the last week of June I figure. Clearly there are children in the photo that could mean it was mid Summer. So yeah, probably July or early in August.

Check for new replies or respond here...