inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who remembers...

Written By: humaeast on 01/30/16 at 12:38 pm

this moment of surreality that was unleashed on us on December 31 (New Years' Eve) 1999?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n49Xsff5zms

It's where I got my signature from. I'm 13 and I remember that moment actually scared me as a kid, to the point where I could not watch the SpongeBob episode it came from ("Karate Choppers") until recently! :-[

Oh, and that's Tom Kenny's face on the hot sauce drop.

Subject: Re: Who remembers...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/30/16 at 12:50 pm

Wasn't really a 90s kid to experience it, but I do remember seeing that episode a lot during the mid 2000s, along with recording it on DVD.

Written By: humaeast on 01/30/16 at 1:22 pm

Wasn't really a 90s kid to experience it, but I do remember seeing that episode a lot during the mid 2000s, along with recording it on DVD.

Do you remember that hot sauce drop? Did it freak you out too?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/30/16 at 1:40 pm

Do you remember that hot sauce drop? Did it freak you out too?

I remember that drop. But it didn't really freak me out that much.

Written By: Toon on 01/30/16 at 2:48 pm

It was scenes like that which ruined hot sauce forever for me.

Most scary moment in cartoons for me though. Although I think this was in the early '00s.
0AXseEnXtsc

Written By: humaeast on 09/12/16 at 10:36 am

The trumpet fetus! Everyone remembers that. Remember Swayzak from Toonami? That weird orange CGI demon-looking thing? That guy was kinda creepy but more sexy

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/13/16 at 12:58 am

Haha, I remember watching that Hot Sauce scene when I was a kid, although it never used to creep me out.

This was the one scene from Spongebob which disturbed me when I was younger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eV5lkKF-60

Admittedly, I still don't like the look of that hillbilly girl picture, even to this day.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/20/16 at 10:55 am

Haha, I remember watching that Hot Sauce scene when I was a kid, although it never used to creep me out.

This was the one scene from Spongebob which disturbed me when I was younger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eV5lkKF-60

Admittedly, I still don't like the look of that hillbilly girl picture, even to this day.

I grew out of being afraid of the hillbilly picture from Spongebob.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/20/16 at 8:13 pm

I grew out of being afraid of the hillbilly picture from Spongebob.

I'm not scared of the Hillbilly picture at all and I haven't been for a very, long time. However, with that being said, I still don't particularly like the photo.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/20/16 at 8:16 pm

I'm not scared of the Hillbilly picture at all and I haven't been for a very, long time. However, with that being said, I still don't particularly like the photo.

To me, it reminds myself of when I was used to be afraid of those sudden moments from classic Spongebob episodes. Especially when I was a kid.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/21/16 at 5:47 am

this moment of surreality that was unleashed on us on December 31 (New Years' Eve) 1999?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n49Xsff5zms

It's where I got my signature from. I'm 13 and I remember that moment actually scared me as a kid, to the point where I could not watch the SpongeBob episode it came from ("Karate Choppers") until recently! :-[

Oh, and that's Tom Kenny's face on the hot sauce drop.

I don't remember that. It wouldn't have freaked me out at all.

Written By: humaeast on 11/20/16 at 6:35 pm

The hillbilly girl looks like Miley Cyrus to me.
And yeah the hot sauce was one of those sudden moments too. How did you not get creeped out by that? Tom Kenny's face looked real disturbing in that to me.

Written By: annimal on 11/20/16 at 7:36 pm

I don't remember this

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/22/16 at 11:31 pm

How did you not get creeped out by that? Tom Kenny's face looked real disturbing in that to me.

To be honest, I thought the hot sauce scene was actually quite funny. It never used to creep me out at all.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 02/27/17 at 7:20 pm

The trumpet fetus! Everyone remembers that. Remember Swayzak from Toonami? That weird orange CGI demon-looking thing? That guy was kinda creepy but more sexy

Lol, he is pretty sexy! I had a huge crush on him as a kid.

And yes, I remember both the hot sauce and the hillbilly picture, both kinda creeped me out but I thought the girl looked like a girl I had in my 3rd grade class. I told that to her a few times. And also a bit like Dee Dee from Dexter's Laboratory...

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/17 at 2:13 am

I don't remember this
ditto!

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 06/06/17 at 7:12 pm

I actually saw "Karate Choppers" on its first airing when I was 3 years old. It was the second SpongeBob episode I ever saw and I audibly screamed when the hot sauce developed a face.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 06/15/17 at 8:03 am

Fun fact: the guy who voices Spongebob (Tom Kenny, whose face appears in the hot sauce) is the main character in this video, and the woman here is his wife.

"Tonight, Tonight" by The Smashing Pumpkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOG3eus4ZSo

And on the making of the video with a hand cranked camera,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV8jWss1rV0

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 06/15/17 at 8:04 am

By the way, that hot sauce clip is hilarious. I didn't watch Spongebob much back in the day because I was older, but I have younger brothers and so was quite aware of it.

Written By: 2001 on 06/15/17 at 5:05 pm

:o
Fun fact: the guy who voices Spongebob (Tom Kenny, whose face appears in the hot sauce) is the main character in this video, and the woman here is his wife.

"Tonight, Tonight" by The Smashing Pumpkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOG3eus4ZSo

And on the making of the video with a hand cranked camera,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV8jWss1rV0

That guy that's singing is Spongebob? The one with the hat? Their voiced do sound very similar (high pitched), although something feels off :D

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 06/15/17 at 5:08 pm

That guy that's singing is Spongebob? The one with the hat? Their voiced do sound very similar (high pitched), although something feels off :D

Not the singer, but the guy who goes to the moon with his wife, then floats down into the sea and meets Ariel's dad.

Written By: 2001 on 06/15/17 at 5:11 pm

Not the singer, but the guy who goes to the moon with his wife, then floats down into the sea and meets Ariel's dad.

Oh! I didn't realize he and the person that was singing were different people. No wonder the voice felt off ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/16/17 at 12:21 am

Did you really believe for a moment that Billy Corgan was the voice of Spongebob? :P

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/07/18 at 10:16 am

Yes I do. I saw that when it premiered on New Years' Eve 1999. It was confusing, but not really that scary.

Check for new replies or respond here...