inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ready, Set, Learn! on TLC (The Learning Channel)

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/01/16 at 7:30 am

In December 1992, The Learning Channel (TLC) introduced a morning programming block for kids (mostly for the preschool/kindergarten demo) entitled "Ready, Set, Learn!" Some of the shows featured included Zoobilee Zoo, Rorys, Pappyland, Geonauts, Madison, Little Star, Magic Box, Bookmice, Big Garage, Salty's Lighthouse, Jay Jay, Skinnamarink TV, Join In!, Kitty Cats, and Iris. There are a couple threads on this (the last one in 2010), but not much in terms of details:

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe90s/smf/1266720880.shtml
http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe90s/smf/1169485143.shtml

The programming block shrank in 2000 to three hours, and disappeared in 2004, replaced with morning shows like Clean Sweep, In A Fix, American Hot Rod, Overhaulin' and Rides.

I'll have to say that out of all children's programming that aired during the 1990s, this is probably the most obscure in America. Very few Ready, Set, Learn! clips exist online, but here is one to give you an idea with a couple theme songs:

nuDJs9wYNe0

Please share your memories of what I like to call "the forgotten young kids programming block" that had to live in the shadow of Nick Jr. and PBS Kids!

Subject: Re: Ready, Set, Learn! on TLC (The Learning Channel)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/01/16 at 7:50 am

Didn't Ready Set Learn turn into another preschool/kindergarten block in 2003, where they had Paz The Penguin as their mascot? I remember that block when I was 5 to 6, and usually I would watch it before I got on my school bus when I was very little. They had shows like Peep in the Big Wide World, Hip Hop Harry, Toddworld, and Hi-5. They also had these skits where it had Paz and his friends animated doing various things. Here's a few skits for example.

VXi19tNcsjk
IuilRpK0_hA
oBlJbt0j9_0

Then the block went off the air in late 2010, when Discovery Kids turned into the Hub. I swear, I really missed that block so much. It felt special to me every time I watched it.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/01/16 at 7:54 am

Didn't Ready Set Learn turn into another preschool/kindergarten block in 2003, where they had Paz The Penguin as their mascot? I remember that block when I was 5 to 6, and usually I would watch it before I got on my school bus when I was very little. They had shows like Peep in the Big Wide World, Hip Hop Harry, Toddworld, and Hi-5. They also had these skits where it had Paz and his friends animated doing various things. Here's a few skits for example.

VXi19tNcsjk
IuilRpK0_hA
oBlJbt0j9_0

Then the block went off the air in late 2010, when Discovery Kids turned into the Hub. I swear, I really missed that block so much. It felt special to me every time I watched it.

I was obviously WAY too old for the Discovery Kids run as I was already an adult during its run and is really more geared toward the early part of Generation Z, but thanks for sharing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/01/16 at 7:57 am

I was obviously WAY too old for the Discovery Kids run as I was already an adult during its run and is really more geared toward the early part of Generation Z, but thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. I just wanted to share my memories of Ready Set Learn from the mid 2000s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/04/16 at 5:21 pm

Wow, I never thought I'd come across a '90s children's TV block that I hadn't heard of. :o

I guess it makes since, though, that I haven't heard of "Ready, Set, Learn!". We didn't get TLC on our cable package until about 1997 or so, by which point I was well past the age of watching shows aimed at preschoolers. Still, it's a cool historical TV relic nonetheless, and a stark reminder of just how far the so-called "Learning Channel" has gone downhill over the last decade or so.

Check for new replies or respond here...