inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite 90s cover songs

Written By: whistledog on 02/16/16 at 6:41 pm

There were lots of good ones out there.  What are some of your favourites?

Subject: Re: Favourite 90s cover songs

Written By: whistledog on 02/16/16 at 6:44 pm

One of my favourite songs ever is a 1990 pop tune called 'Bird on A Wire' by The Neville Brothers.  It is a cover of Leonard Cohen's 1969 song 'Bird on the Wire' and was recorded for the 1990 film 'Bird on A Wire' starring Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn. 

This song was not well known in the US (it's only chart appearance there was #31 on the Adult Contemporary chart), but it was a massive hit in Canada and I have loved it since it first came out! 

I've put the original next to it for comparison.

TKDMiyRmbik K8fT7rnRotY

Written By: nally on 02/16/16 at 6:49 pm

Aaron Neville covered "Everybody Plays The Fool" in 1991 (original by the Main Ingredient). There are two known mixes (differing primarily by the rhythm track); here's the version I enjoyed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKAJs8waYd4

Written By: whistledog on 02/16/16 at 7:03 pm

Here is Hootie and the Blowfish and their 1995 song 'I Go Blind'.  Fans of the show Friends will recognize it, since it was recorded for an episode of that series (The one with 5 steaks and an eggplant) and it was also a major hit on rock and adult contemporary radio in the US.  The song is originally from 1986 by a band from Vancouver called 54-40.

I really don't know which version I like best because I am very familiar with both.  Here is a side by side comparison of Hootie vs 54-40

TYES9WI-hIk 4r1J0JY0bOo

Written By: Ripley on 02/16/16 at 10:08 pm

Aaron Neville covered "Everybody Plays The Fool" in 1991 (original by the Main Ingredient). There are two known mixes (differing primarily by the rhythm track); here's the version I enjoyed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKAJs8waYd4

I remember that, good song

Written By: Ripley on 02/16/16 at 10:10 pm

Letters To Cleo - Dangerous Type

Originally by The Cars, this is my favorite cover of the 90's

Written By: Starlighter on 06/13/16 at 3:42 pm

ORt5bueHVqA

Written By: nally on 06/13/16 at 6:49 pm

^ I remember that one too. (Although I do kinda like the original as well.)

Written By: nally on 06/13/16 at 6:51 pm

"But It's Alright" - Huey Lewis & The News (1994)

Original by J.J. Jackson, 1966

Written By: Starlighter on 06/15/16 at 6:49 pm

"But It's Alright" - Huey Lewis & The News (1994)

Original by J.J. Jackson, 1966

That's a really good cover.  Love the original too.

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/16 at 10:13 pm

In the mid 90s, there was a eurodance group called Unique II who did a cover of Matthew Wilder's 1984 hit Break My Stride.  It was on the radio all the time and I just absolutely loved it.  I really enjoy the original and no one loves 80s music more than I do, but this is one of the few times I rank a cover song just a bit higher.

Unique II vs Matthew Wilder

3qJMOik7C9Q cy46iOwWQiE

Written By: nally on 06/16/16 at 11:47 am

Here is Hootie and the Blowfish and their 1995 song 'I Go Blind'.  Fans of the show Friends will recognize it, since it was recorded for an episode of that series (The one with 5 steaks and an eggplant) and it was also a major hit on rock and adult contemporary radio in the US.  The song is originally from 1986 by a band from Vancouver called 54-40.

I really don't know which version I like best because I am very familiar with both.  Here is a side by side comparison of Hootie vs 54-40

Amazing, I actually did not know that Hootie's version of "I Go Blind" was a cover. However, I do remember it being a hit in the States roughly 20 years ago. Ya learn something new every day! O0

Written By: Howard on 06/16/16 at 3:46 pm

In the mid 90s, there was a eurodance group called Unique II who did a cover of Matthew Wilder's 1984 hit Break My Stride.  It was on the radio all the time and I just absolutely loved it.  I really enjoy the original and no one loves 80s music more than I do, but this is one of the few times I rank a cover song just a bit higher.

Unique II vs Matthew Wilder

3qJMOik7C9Q cy46iOwWQiE

Sorry but the original wins out for me.

Written By: nally on 06/16/16 at 10:19 pm

Sorry but the original wins out for me.

Same for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...