inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Definitive 1990's Video Game Console

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/18/16 at 2:16 pm

In your opinion, which console defined the cultural make up of video games in the 1990's?

I'd say for me its a close tie between the SNES which was mainly popular from 1991-1996

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/BunnyWurb/giffy%203/P1000913.jpg

And known for classics like Super Mario World, TLOZ A Link to the Past, F-Zero, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 2 & 3 (officially 4 & 6) Earthbound, & the Donkey Kong Country Series to name a few

The Playstation would be tied with the SNES, lasting in main popularity from 1995-2000/1

http://fox.mmgn.com/mmgn/news/normal/the-playstation-1-turns-20-in-australia-today-1119259.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416GAQ5G26L.jpg

And known for classics like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy 7-9, Metal Gear Solid, & Ape Escape

However I would like to hear your opinions on this subject?

Subject: Re: Definitive 1990's Video Game Console

Written By: mqg96 on 02/18/16 at 2:21 pm

Definitely the SNES. It was released in 1991 when early 90's culture was still dominant, it peaked from 1991-1996 during the peak of early & mid 90's culture, and it was discontinued in 1999 which was the quintessential late 90's year. It makes complete since. 5th generation consoles seem more late 90's or millennial to me, but not definitive 90's.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/18/16 at 2:29 pm

Definitely the SNES. It was released in 1991 when early 90's culture was still dominant, it peaked from 1991-1996 during the peak of early & mid 90's culture, and it was discontinued in 1999 which was the quintessential late 90's year. It makes complete since. 5th generation consoles seem more late 90's or millennial to me, but not definitive 90's.

True, the SNES was pretty awesome and it represents the early & mid 90's to a tea. The 5th generation, especially the Saturn & N64, are most definitely late 90's/Millennium Era, but while the PS1 was part of that same era it did represent the youth culture of the 90's. After all it was probably the first true modern day game console in the sense that the target audience was typically teens and adults. Heck their main target demographic were 19 year olds!

I'd suggest watching this documentary its pretty damn inspiring if you ask me:

ryi1QBA6XyI

However I'll say this though, if we're talking about 90's kids, or children during that decade, then I'd say the SNES was the definitive console. While if we're talking about Generation X, or teens/young adults during that decade, then I'd say the Playstation was the definitive console.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/18/16 at 2:34 pm

The Super Nintendo is probably the definitive 90s console, although the Sega Genesis represents the spirit of the decade the best, in spite of being originally released in 1989.  The PS1 is a close second, since it had astronomical sales throughout the last third of the decade and had technically exited in the mid-90s as well.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/18/16 at 2:39 pm

The Super Nintendo is probably the definitive 90s console, although the Sega Genesis represents the spirit of the decade the best, in spite of being originally released in 1989.  The PS1 is a close second, since it had astronomical sales throughout the last third of the decade and had technically exited in the mid-90s as well.

Yeah I agree with this! I was also considering the Genesis as well, but it seemed like it was overshadowed by the SNES in the mid 90's. In the early 90's the two consoles seemed to both had a even playing field in popularity and sales. But in 94' when Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, & Final Fantasy 3 came out for the SNES, it was a nail in the coffin for the Genesis. Especially since the Genesis mostly depended on its lackluster add ons by that point

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/18/16 at 7:42 pm

SUPER NINTENDO!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  Next question! ;) ::)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/18/16 at 7:44 pm

Overall SNES, PS1, N64 are the 90s big 3.
Just like PS2, Wii, and XBOX 360 are the 00s big 3.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/19/16 at 4:16 pm

Overall SNES, PS1, N64 are the 90s big 3.
Just like PS2, Wii, and XBOX 360 are the 00s big 3.

Why not the Genesis? :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/19/16 at 4:43 pm

I think if we talked about the most common 90s game consoles, then N64, PS1, Genesis, SNES, and the Game Boy comes to mind.

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/16 at 6:16 pm

The Super Nintendo was great.  I liked a lot of games for the Sega Genesis more, but on most Genesis games, the music was just terrible.  Games that were made for both consoles, the music was always better on the SNES version.

The Game Boy had good games, but the unit itself (looking back now) was crap.  The screen was small and hard to see and even if you had a light to see the screen, the glare sometimes made it difficult.  As I recall, it took 4 batteries, which wasn't bad compared to the 6 that the Sega Game Gear took and the 8 that the NEC Turbo Express took.  Portable gaming was fucking expensive back then.  Holy crap!

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/16 at 6:19 pm

The Super Nintendo was great.  I liked a lot of games for the Sega Genesis more, but on most Genesis games, the music was just terrible.  Games that were made for both consoles, the music was always better on the SNES version.

The Game Boy had good games, but the unit itself (looking back now) was crap.  The screen was small and hard to see and even if you had a light to see the screen, the glare sometimes made it difficult.  As I recall, it took 4 batteries, which wasn't bad compared to the 6 that the Sega Game Gear took and the 8 that the NEC Turbo Express took.  Portable gaming was fucking expensive back then.  Holy crap!

I hated replacing batteries. It's why I didn't buy many Gameboy games or take it out to places.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/19/16 at 6:40 pm

I'm a bit blown away by that. The Sega Genesis is very 90s. The name of the console and sound powerfully give it away. Sonic even rivaled Mario.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/19/16 at 7:57 pm

Honestly I was being kinda biased because the N64 impacted me! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
But which was more impactful to the 90s Genesis or N64?! That's kinda tough. Ultimately it would be the Gensis, since it was still a force during the heart of the 90s and the N64 lasted throguh the early 00s.

Written By: Toon on 02/19/16 at 8:10 pm

To me it would be the Super Nintendo, Genesis, and Playstation 1. These are consoles that were the most successful during the decade.  The console war was huge in the early '90s so by default both the Super Nintendo and Genesis can be seen as important consoles for the time. By the 5th gen the PS1 was so dominant to the point where you couldn't even call it a "console war". The Saturn was a failure and the Nintendo 64 was less successful than its predecessor.

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/16 at 8:20 pm

To me it would be the Super Nintendo, Genesis, and Playstation 1. These are consoles that were the most successful during the decade.  The console war was huge in the early '90s so by default both the Super Nintendo and Genesis can be seen as important consoles for the time. By the 5th gen the PS1 was so dominant to the point where you couldn't even call it a "console war". The Saturn was a failure and the Nintendo 64 was less successful than its predecessor.

The N64 sold slightly more than the Genesis in North America though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis#32-bit_era_and_beyond

Sega sold 30.75 million Genesis units worldwide. Of these, 3.58 million were sold in Japan, while sales in Europe and the U.S. are roughly estimated at 8 million and 18 million as of June 1997 (at which time Sega was no longer manufacturing the system) respectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64#Sales

Nintendo reported that the system's vintage hardware and software sales had ceased by 2004, three years after the GameCube's launch; as of December 31, 2009, the Nintendo 64 had yielded a lifetime total of 5.54 million system units sold in Japan, 20.63 million in the Americas, and 6.75 million in other regions, for a total of 32.93 million units.

Nintendo 64 sold well into the latter portion of the Y2K era though, so it might be kind of cheating.

Written By: Toon on 02/19/16 at 9:28 pm

The N64 sold slightly more than the Genesis in North America though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis#32-bit_era_and_beyond

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64#Sales

Nintendo 64 sold well into the latter portion of the Y2K era though, so it might be kind of cheating.

Whoa whoa whoa "30.75 million"??!! :o Could've sworn the Genesis sales were around the 40 million mark.  40 million has been said by these sources.

http://www.chrisman.k12.il.us/teacher_pages/mr_davison/links/student_projects/spring_2015/bit_war/consolessega.html
This is the Sega Genesis. This was Sega's 16-bit console. It was fighting against the Super Nintendo during the 16-bit era. It was a released in North America in 1989. It had a library of over 900 video games. Sega dominated the 16-bit market until the Super Nintendo was released two years later. The Sega Genesis dropped out early from the 16-bit battle, and Sega went to the 32-bit market. The Sega Genesis sold about an estimated 40 million units.

http://www.giantbomb.com/genesis/3045-6/
It had a production run lasting from 1988, when it was first released in Japan, to 1997, when it was finally discontinued. It sold over 40 million units worldwide, over half of which were sold in North America alone

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Sega_Genesis
By the end of the Genesis's lifetime, sales approached 40 million.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-22-the-rise-and-fall-of-sega-enterprises
The 16-bit Mega Drive - known in the US as the Genesis - remains Sega's most successful home console. It sold around 40 million units worldwide.

http://www.craveonline.com/site/533367-game-not-over-in-the-console-wars-the-underdog-almost-always-wins
Despite Nintendo’s stronghold, SEGA’s marketing itself as the cooler console using slogans like “Genesis does what Nintendon’t” gave the Genesis the fuel it needed to eat away at Nintendo’s dominance. The end result left the two almost neck and neck sales-wise, with the SNES winning out by a total of roughly 49 million consoles sold to the Genesis’s 40 million

I assume the actual sale figures can be anyone's guess due to Sega themselves not actually going out and stating the numbers themselves or something. For the longest of time I kept hearing how the Genesis sold around 40 million while the SNES sold 49 million. SNES won, but people tend to say it's because the SNES was in the market for a much longer time (it didn't stop selling until 2003 in Japan while the Genesis stopped in 1997 worldwide).

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/19/16 at 9:31 pm

Okay guys, I hate to admit it! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
But yes, the true big 3 of the 90s are the SNES, Genesis, and PS1 in terms of impact. ::)

Written By: mqg96 on 02/19/16 at 9:32 pm

Okay guys, I hate to admit it! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
But yes, the true big 3 of the 90s are the SNES, Genesis, and PS1 in terms of impact. ::)

Oh no, I definitely agree with your opinion on the big 3, I honestly feel like it's a fact without a question.

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/16 at 9:33 pm

Yeah the next article in the sentence was

In 1998, Sega licensed the Genesis to Majesco in North America so that it could rerelease the console. Majesco began reselling millions of formerly unsold cartridges at a budget price, together with 150,000 units of the second model of the Genesis. It later released the Sega Genesis 3, projecting to sell 1.5 million units of the console by the end of 1998. In addition, an estimated 3 million Genesis units were sold by Tec Toy in Brazil.

It was released in third world countries in the late 90s at budget prices, which is where I'm guessing the other 10 million came from.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/16 at 7:22 am

I hated replacing batteries. It's why I didn't buy many Gameboy games or take it out to places.

I had to replace my batteries once in a while.

Check for new replies or respond here...