inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Interesting Forum Post about who's more of a '90's Kid'

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/21/16 at 4:31 pm

I found this very interesting. I don't agree with it fully, but I do get where the OP was coming from in this post. Check it out for yourself and I would like to hear your opinions!

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=687904

Subject: Re: Interesting Forum Post about who's more of a '90's Kid'

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/21/16 at 4:44 pm

Ahh yeah... :D  I saw this when this was first out! :)  The OP is kinda right. The 90s was a GEN X decade, not a Millennial/Y decade. But 80s babies can claim the 90s if they so please. Bu the 2000s and 2010s are the true Millenial decades. Just like the 80s and 90s are Gen X's decades. and the 60s and 70s are the Boomer's decades.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/21/16 at 5:13 pm

It really seems like some people can't grasp that there's a difference between being a child of an era and a teenager of a an era. Both groups are equally entitled to their nostalgia. Obviously someone who was 7 is going to be nostalgic about different things from the same era than someone who was 17.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/21/16 at 5:21 pm

Thanks for sharing this thread. It's nice to see how folks who are in their late teens and 20's aren't the only ones debating about generations, cutoffs, whose decade is theirs, etc. We really needed to hear Generation X's experiences of their childhood, adolescence, and how they came of age. I liked how they shared experiences with less technology back then compared to the present. I'm glad someone pointed out that Millennials/Gen Y are the first true internet generation.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/21/16 at 5:23 pm

It really seems like some people can't grasp that there's a difference between being a child of an era and a teenager of a an era. Both groups are equally entitled to their nostalgia. Obviously someone who was 7 is going to be nostalgic about different things from the same era than someone who was 17.

Thank you Mark! Best post I've seen on this board in the last 6 months I've been on here! My thoughts in a nutshell.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/21/16 at 5:44 pm

Well that was interesting.

I was born in 1980. I remember the '90s from the beginning to the end, I was 10 in 1990 and 19 in 1999. So I went through most of grade school, all of middle school and all of High school during. I remember all the fads and fashion and music that we listened to(which I am nostalgic for :\'(...it was great music!!) The TV shows, headlines that made the news, the gaming, everything that was culture popular. I REMEMBER IT ALL! And in detail too ::) *sigh* Awesome decade.

My opinion....it's accurate!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 5:50 pm

Early Millennials, like myself, can claim the 90's no problem.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/16 at 7:14 pm

I saw that thread a few years ago and I thoroughly read every post in there. I can understand the OP as it was definitely a X decade; however, he should also remember that older millennials were in MS, HS and college throughout the era as well.

I do agree with Mark that everyone is definitely entitled to the nostalgia. Each one of us had different experiences regarding the decade no matter how old we were.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/21/16 at 7:19 pm

I saw that thread a few years ago and I thoroughly read every post in there. I can understand the OP as it was definitely a X decade; however, he should also remember that older millennials were in MS, HS and college throughout the era as well.

I do agree with Mark that everyone is definitely entitled to the nostalgia. Each one of us had different experiences regarding the decade no matter how old we were.

You're so right Crash! :)  Older Y members were in their teens during the later years of the 90s.(The 1982-1986 born)
And btw, not college! lol The last ones to be in college during the 90s were at the TAIL END of X.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/21/16 at 7:22 pm

Also guys I do NOT want to start a war, but do you guys think the 90s was the definitive Gen X decade? ???  Cause Arcticfox thinks so, and he even made some good points about it.

Written By: af2010 on 02/21/16 at 7:45 pm

Interesting thread. It wasn't so much about who's a '90s kid', but who the 90s 'belong to'. I would argue they belong to anyone who lived during the time. You can't tell someone they have no right to claim a time period that they lived through, whether as a kid, teen, or adult. Now if someone my age (28) tried to claim something like grunge, I could see his point. But that's not what we're doing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/21/16 at 7:49 pm

Also guys I do NOT want to start a war, but do you guys think the 90s was the definitive Gen X decade? ???  Cause Arcticfox thinks so, and he even made some good points about it.

Since the decade was mostly made for teens, then yeah. Of course the decade was made for late Gen X babies.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/16 at 7:56 pm

Well I have to say that it's actually in between as it was mainly younger Xers and older Millennials who made that decade.

You're so right Crash! :)  Older Y members were in their teens during the later years of the 90s.(The 1982-1986 born)
And btw, not college! lol The last ones to be in college during the 90s were at the TAIL END of X.
Well that depends. We have people who are going by the old Millennial/Y demographic  (1977/80 -1994) rather than new one  (1980/81-2000)

Now that reminds me, do you guys consider the 00s or the 10s to be the definitive Millennial decade?

Written By: 80sfan on 02/21/16 at 8:14 pm

Ahh yeah... :D  I saw this when this was first out! :)  The OP is kinda right. The 90s was a GEN X decade, not a Millennial/Y decade. But 80s babies can claim the 90s if they so please. Bu the 2000s and 2010s are the true Millenial decades. Just like the 80s and 90s are Gen X's decades. and the 60s and 70s are the Boomer's decades.

I like how you put it all so simply and truly.  8)

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/21/16 at 8:22 pm

Well I have to say that it's actually in between as it was mainly younger Xers and older Millennials who made that decade.
Well that depends. We have people who are going by the old Millennial/Y demographic  (1977/80 -1994) rather than new one  (1980/81-2000)

Now that reminds me, do you guys consider the 00s or the 10s to be the definitive Millennial decade?

Yeah I lean more with the latter definition, although realistically I think Gen Y ends around 1997. Anyways I'm not sure what decade would be more definitive, but if we were to go with the usual pattern, ie Baby Boomers Peak being the 70's, & Gen X's being the 90's, then probably the 10's.

Although, I'd say personally it would probably be the year span from 2005-2012 give or take as the absolute peak of Millennial Culture! 1997/8-2004 being Early Millennial Culture, 2013-Present being a mixture of Late Millennial & Early Z Culture.

Written By: Ripley on 02/21/16 at 8:28 pm

I was born in '85 and I claim the 90's.  I remember every bit of it

Written By: Toon on 02/21/16 at 8:39 pm

To me the 1990s is definitely a Gen X decade. 2000s screams Gen Y to me.

'00s is Millennial. 10s seems a bit tricky. Early '10s can be seen as Millennial. But some could argue that Mid-Late '10s is more for the Plurals.

But I'm not 100% sure for the '10s. So maybe someone else could answer.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 8:42 pm

Although, I'd say personally it would probably be the year span from 2005-2012 give or take as the absolute peak of Millennial Culture! 1997/8-2004 being Early Millennial Culture, 2013-Present being a mixture of Late Millennial & Early Z Culture.

I agree. As an early Millennial, I can relate to the Gen X culture of 1994-1997 and the early Millennial culture of 1998-2002/2003 but anything 2003-2004 onward doesn't resonate with me whatsoever.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/16 at 8:52 pm

The 2010s are all mine and no one else can have it!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 8:58 pm

Yeah, you can have your stinkin' ten's. Nobody wants them anyway. :P :P :P :P :P

Written By: Toon on 02/21/16 at 9:27 pm

You selfish dick waffle!  >:(

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/21/16 at 10:18 pm

The oldest Millennials didn't start college until the fall of 2000.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/21/16 at 10:22 pm

To me the 1990s is definitely a Gen X decade. 2000s screams Gen Y to me.

'00s is Millennial. 10s seems a bit tricky. Early '10s can be seen as Millennial. But some could argue that Mid-Late '10s is more for the Plurals.

But I'm not 100% sure for the '10s. So maybe someone else could answer.

The Aughts and 2010's are both Millennial decades. The Aughts belonged to the older half of Millennials (1982-1991) and the 2010's belongs to the younger half (1992-2001). If you graduate high school in any year from 2000-2019, you are comfortably a millennial.

This really needs to be moved to the More Than A Decade board.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/21/16 at 10:24 pm

No sharing?  :\'(

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/16 at 10:32 pm

Yeah, you can have your stinkin' ten's. Nobody wants them anyway. :P :P :P :P :P

The decade will age like fine wine and I will sell it for millions on eBay.

You selfish dick waffle!  >:(

No sharing?  :'(

You guys will deplete all my nostalgia!

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/21/16 at 11:35 pm

Speaking of that forum, I have pasted a comment from that threat by someone named monstro on that website and changed it up to fit a similar predicament for mills.

"My older sister (born in 1986) gets huffy when I claim to be a child of the 00s (I was born in '95). For years we've fought over this. Truth is, we are both right. But I think my sister has a better claim than I do. Yeah, I was literally a "child of the 00s", and this shouldn't be discounted.

But your teenage years are when you have developed a stronger sense of identity and ownership of cultural props. I was a passive participant in 00s pop culture, not having any disposable income nor any desire to be fashionable. I knew all the songs on the radio, but I didn't own any records or CDs. I was definitely in the 00s, but not of the 00s.

But I started actively consuming culture in the 10s. I know what 10s clothes look like because I remember going to the store and buying them. I am nostalgic for 10s music because the 10s were when certain songs started to become my jams. They became things that I could own and play over and over and over again on my Apple iPhone, whereas 00s music was just my father would play on the car radio.

When it comes to stuff like nolstagia, there are no limits or rules. Like for some childhood stuff, like TV shows and cartoons, my mind definitely goes back to the 00s before the 10s. But when it comes to "claiming" a decade, I gotta say I'm a child of the 10s. Which means my sister is right to claim the 00s as hers."

It isn't exactly like this, as this person clearly looks at the '90s from a completed and in the past perspective, but I think this will clearly be my situation in a good 10-15 years, as well as for many other Older/Younger Millennials. Monstro clearly understands that the '90s were "Her Decade", and she calls herself a "Child of the '90s". It's just like me - the 2010's are My Decade, and I definitely proclaim myself as a Child of the 2010's.

Written By: Toon on 02/22/16 at 12:09 am

Speaking of that forum, I have pasted a comment from that threat by someone named monstro on that website and changed it up to fit a similar predicament for mills.

"My older sister (born in 1986) gets huffy when I claim to be a child of the 00s (I was born in '95). For years we've fought over this. Truth is, we are both right. But I think my sister has a better claim than I do. Yeah, I was literally a "child of the 00s", and this shouldn't be discounted.

But your teenage years are when you have developed a stronger sense of identity and ownership of cultural props. I was a passive participant in 00s pop culture, not having any disposable income nor any desire to be fashionable. I knew all the songs on the radio, but I didn't own any records or CDs. I was definitely in the 00s, but not of the 00s.

But I started actively consuming culture in the 10s. I know what 10s clothes look like because I remember going to the store and buying them. I am nostalgic for 10s music because the 10s were when certain songs started to become my jams. They became things that I could own and play over and over and over again on my Apple iPhone, whereas 00s music was just my father would play on the car radio.

When it comes to stuff like nolstagia, there are no limits or rules. Like for some childhood stuff, like TV shows and cartoons, my mind definitely goes back to the 00s before the 10s. But when it comes to "claiming" a decade, I gotta say I'm a child of the 10s. Which means my sister is right to claim the 00s as hers."

It isn't exactly like this, as this person clearly looks at the '90s from a completed and in the past perspective, but I think this will clearly be my situation in a good 10-15 years, as well as for many other Older/Younger Millennials. Monstro clearly understands that the '90s were "Her Decade", and she calls herself a "Child of the '90s". It's just like me - the 2010's are My Decade, and I definitely proclaim myself as a Child of the 2010's.

Okay I really don't understand this at all. How in the hell is someone from 1995 a 2010's kid? They'd be 15 in 2010 and 24 by 2019 (A teen to an adult. A kid is for people who were kids in that decade . A 1995 born would stop being a kid by 2007. That's like saying 1985 born is a 2000's kid. A 1975 born is a 1990's kid. Or a 2005 born is a 2020's kid.  Your teen years are when you start to understand true pop culture, but a teen is in no way a little child or kid especially at age 15. His/Her 1986 sister would just have to get over herself as a 1995 born is NOT a 2010's kid. She doesn't have a better claim as she wasn't the one who grew up in the 2000s as a kid. You can't tell someone who was 5-14 between 2000-2009 that they aren't a child of the '00s unless they have a different definition "child" than I do. I'm all up for respecting other's opinions (name one time where you've ever seen me get upset over someone's opinion on this forum or insult/disrespect someone for their opinion), but this one just makes no sense.

Kind of curious on who actually believes in this logic. But hey maybe I'm the one who is wrong here. Maybe all this time I had the wrong idea of what a child was and a what "child of the " would be and the influences that person would've had. Who knows.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/22/16 at 12:28 am

^^^^ Yeah, look at MarkMc1990's post on page 1. If you were alive and old enough to remember the time period or decade, then you can claim anything from it, any type of pop culture. Whether it's the kid culture or mainstream/youth culture, etc. I do agree that ages 11-22 are the prime age to experience the main pop culture, like knowing what music is coming out regularly, what's going on around the world with the news and politics (although this is an all age thing), and certain TV shows or movies that's geared towards your target audience. However, it's reasonable that age 6-10 year old's aren't going to be into the same pop culture as 14-18 year old's at the same time. You can't jump in and say "I get to claim this decade and you don't because I was 18 while you were only 8". Well we weren't into the same pop culture at the time, but he or she still has the right to claim anything from the time period though. I know many people who have different definitions of what a kid or child is, some people think that a teenager or young adult is still a kid, therefore they think that you're a kid of a decade based off how long you were 11-22 year's old, not when you were 3-10. You will always be "kids" to your parents or elders no matter how old you get, but biologically your kid or childhood years will always be spent from the time you were born all the way through roughly middle school.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/22/16 at 12:30 am

^^^^ Yeah, look at MarkMc1990's post on page 1. If you were alive and old enough to remember the time period or decade, then you can claim anything from it, any type of pop culture. Whether it's the kid culture or mainstream/youth culture, etc. I do agree that ages 11-22 are the prime age to experience the main pop culture, like knowing what music is coming out regularly, what's going on around the world with the news and politics (although this is an all age thing), and certain TV shows or movies that's geared towards your target audience. However, it's reasonable that age 6-10 year old's aren't going to be into the same pop culture as 14-18 year old's at the same time. You can't jump in and say "I get to claim this decade and you don't because I was 18 while you were only 8". Well we weren't into the same pop culture at the time, but he or she still has the right to claim anything from the time period though. I know many people who have different definitions of what a kid or child is, some people think that a teenager or young adult is still a kid, therefore they think that you're a kid of a decade based off how long you were 11-22 year's old, not when you were 3-10. You will always be "kids" to your parents or elders no matter how old you get, but biologically your kid or childhood years will always be spent from the time you were born all the way through roughly middle school.

Spot on Mq!

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/16 at 12:31 am

Okay I really don't understand this at all. How in the hell is someone from 1995 a 2010's kid? They'd be 15 in 2010 and 24 by 2019 (A teen to an adult. A kid is for people who were kids in that decade . A 1995 born would stop being a kid by 2007. That's like saying 1985 born is a 2000's kid. A 1975 born is a 1990's kid. Or a 2005 born is a 2020's kid.  Your teen years are when you start to understand true pop culture, but a teen is in no way a little child or kid especially at age 15. His/Her 1986 sister would just have to get over herself as a 1995 born is NOT a 2010's kid. She doesn't have a better claim as she wasn't the one who grew up in the 2000s as a kid. You can't tell someone who was 5-14 between 2000-2009 that they aren't a child of the '00s unless they have a different definition "child" than I do. I'm all up for respecting other's opinions (name one time where you've ever seen me get upset over someone's opinion on this forum or insult/disrespect someone for their opinion), but this one just makes no sense.

Kind of curious on who actually believes in this logic. But hey maybe I'm the one who is wrong here. Maybe all this time I had the wrong idea of what a child was and a what "child of the " would be and the influences that person would've had. Who knows.

I'd say you're right. But I do call myself a 2010s kid sometimes, so I can see where that 1986 sister is coming from. Maybe she just really liked the 2000s, but she shouldn't be nofunallowed about it to people who were younger. Other people are allowed to have nostalgia as well, and yeah 1995 borns are definitely allowed to call themselves 2000s kids of all things.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/22/16 at 12:35 am

I will never and Eric(third person)means EVER call myself a 2010s kid no way in hell! >:( ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 02/22/16 at 12:38 am

I'd say you're right. But I do call myself a 2010s kid sometimes, so I can see where that 1986 sister is coming from. Maybe she just really liked the 2000s, but she shouldn't be nofunallowed about it to people who were younger. Other people are allowed to have nostalgia as well, and yeah 1995 borns are definitely allowed to call themselves 2000s kids of all things.

The late 2000's through the entire 2010's will be looked back as my main time for the mainstream pop culture. However, when it comes to the "insert decade" kid thing. I'd call myself an early 2010's teenager and a mid-late 2010's young adult. The word "kid" is out of the question when referring to the 2010's. Parents and elders will always call me a "kid" well after I graduate college. Many commentators or sportscasters on ESPN call many young QB's or basketball players like Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, or Stephen Curry "kids". Despite being many years removed from the college level, because they will always be viewed as "kids" to them, but biologically they haven't been a kid since middle school.

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/16 at 12:41 am

I will never and Eric(third person)means EVER call myself a 2010s kid no way in hell! >:( ;D

C'mon, everyone knows 2010s kids have more fun than 2000s kids lol.

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/16 at 12:44 am

The late 2000's through the entire 2010's will be looked back as my main time for the mainstream pop culture. However, when it comes to the "insert decade" kid thing. I'd call myself an early 2010's teenager and a mid-late 2010's young adult. The word "kid" is out of the question when referring to the 2010's. Parents and elders will always call me a "kid" well after I graduate college. Many commentators or sportscasters on ESPN call many young QB's or basketball players like Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, or Stephen Curry "kids". Despite being many years removed from the college level, because they will always be viewed as "kids" to them, but biologically they haven't been a kid since middle school.

Well, I don't mean kid as in infant, I just mean kid as in having a lot of fun and doing my own thing! :P I could even get married this decade but I'd still feel like a 2010s kid haha. The 2010s are my self-discovery, starting up and settling down decade.

Written By: Toon on 02/22/16 at 12:45 am

To me a 1995 born is a 2000s kid (5-12 between 2000-2007). Late '00s/early '10s teen (13-18 between 2008-2013). And an adult of the rest on the 2010s onward. The thing that's funny to me is how odd something like this is. Most '80s born (even though from 1986) say they're 1990's kids and no one would disagree. But hey there would always be that one person who'd have his/her own unique opinion, I suppose. Anyone can be nostalgic if they're able to remember that certain time period. Whether it's kid culture, teen culture, or adult culture a person will always be exposed to culture that would influence them. And later on the person would look back and feel nostalgic on the past culture. At least this is what I think. I may have to ask my cousin about this. Too bad he's not on this forum. He used to be one some other forum kind of like this one if I remember correctly.

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/16 at 12:53 am

To me a 1995 born is a 2000s kid (5-12 between 2000-2007). Late '00s/early '10s teen (13-18 between 2008-2013). And an adult of the rest on the 2010s onward. The thing that's funny to me is how odd something like this is. Most '80s born (even though from 1986) say they're 1990's kids and no one would disagree. But hey there would always be that one person who'd have his/her own unique opinion, I suppose. Anyone can be nostalgic if they're able to remember that certain time period. Whether it's kid culture, teen culture, or adult culture a person will always be exposed to culture that would influence them. And later on the person would look back and feel nostalgic on the past culture. At least this is what I think. I may have to ask my cousin about this. Too bad he's not on this forum. He used to be one some other forum kind of like this one if I remember correctly.

Well, a 1986er would have been 14 to 23 during the 2000s, so they did a lot of growing up that decade too, so I can see why she feels that way. A 1986er would have done a lot of growing up and self-discovery in the 2000s, But so would the 1995er having been 5 to 14 during the decade and done a lot of growing up of her own. The older sister is at least partially wrong.

The 1995er being 15 to 24 during the 2010s will also surely be doing most her self-discovery this decade though. Self-discovery decade is a different definition of "kid" than the one we usually use on this forum, but it is still another definition of it.

Written By: Richbrings2life on 02/22/16 at 7:46 am

Whereas my opinion, definition of childhood is 3-11 age group, so for me a 1995er childhood will be from 1998 to 2006 and preteen/teen years from 2007-2013. IMO.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/22/16 at 7:51 am

This thread has a fun colorful title haha

Whatever the case is, I'm happy enough I fairly seen the best years of the 2000s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/22/16 at 8:21 am

When I mean "Child of the 2010's", I'm not talking about growing up and being a kid, I'm talking about coming of age. Some people who were teens in the '80s call themselves "Children of the '80s" because the '80s were the most important decade of their lives. For me, that's 2010's. There is an obvious difference between being an "Aughts Kid" and a "Child of the 2010's". You need to read it thoroughly, the comment explains pretty clearly what means. And childhoos doesn't end until 13, not 12.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/22/16 at 8:41 am

When I mean "Child of the 2010's", I'm not talking about growing up and being a kid, I'm talking about coming of age. Some people who were teens in the '80s call themselves "Children of the '80s" because the '80s were the most important decade of their lives. For me, that's 2010's. There is an obvious difference between being an "Aughts Kid" and a "Child of the 2010's". You need to read it thoroughly, the comment explains pretty clearly what means. And childhoos doesn't end until 13, not 12.

I get where your coming from. Personally I consider myself a Young Adult of the 2010's, being age 18-25 from 2014-2021. And a Late 2000's/Early 2010's Teen, being age 13-19 from 2009-2015.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/22/16 at 8:57 am

Also I have another question, what do you define as a Young Adult. I've always thought of it as being age 18-25 or age 18-29, but I tend to see many sources claiming it to be age 18-35! IMO anybody over the age of 30 is NOT a young adult. They may have some young traits (especially members of the Millennial Gen, who are still struggling to pay of their student loan debt) but they certainly aren't young anymore. If anything they are at the prime of their lives for the most part when it comes down to their careers.

I think those ages 30-45 are the first half Middle Aged Adults aka the settling down age (getting married, having kids, at the peak of their careers, etc.).

Those ages 45-65 are at the tail end of middle aged adults (their children tend to come of age, typically become more conservative, phasing out of workforce/retirement, etc.).

Those ages 40-50 are smack dab in the middle (possibly where mid-life crisis takes place in the most).

Anybody over 65 is an elder and anybody under 30 is young in my book.

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/16 at 9:05 am

Also I have another question, what do you define as a Young Adult. I've always thought of it as being age 18-25 or age 18-29, but I tend to see many sources claiming it to be age 18-35! IMO anybody over the age of 30 is NOT a young adult. They may have some young traits (especially members of the Millennial Gen, who are still struggling to pay of their student loan debt) but they certainly aren't young anymore. If anything they are at the prime of their lives for the most part when it comes down to their careers. I think those ages 30-45 are the first half Middle Aged Adults, those ages 45-65 are at the tail end of middle aged adults, those ages 40-50 are smack dab in the middle. Anybody over 65 is an elder and anybody under 30 is young in my book.

Obviously being in your early 30s is not the same as being 18-24 (the same way being 17 and 13 aren't the same), but I've always seen couples in their early 30s being described as "young couples" and the like, so I have always considered it to still be young adult. 19-34 sounds about right.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/22/16 at 9:05 am

Also I have another question, what do you define as a Young Adult. I've always thought of it as being age 18-25 or age 18-29, but I tend to see many sources claiming it to be age 18-35! IMO anybody over the age of 30 is NOT a young adult. They may have some young traits (especially members of the Millennial Gen, who are still struggling to pay of their student loan debt) but they certainly aren't young anymore. If anything they are at the prime of their lives for the most part when it comes down to their careers. I think those ages 30-45 are the first half Middle Aged Adults, those ages 45-65 are at the tail end of middle aged adults, those ages 40-50 are smack dab in the middle. Anybody over 65 is an elder and anybody under 30 is young in my book.

Personally, I think your entire 30's is the transition from young adult to middle aged. I know many people in their early 30's who still look college aged, especially ones who have never done drugs their whole lives. Maybe 30-34 year old's are no longer young adults, but they are way too young to be called middle aged. I think for an average person the middle age begins in your late 30's. Your 40's are the peak of your middle age, and I think your 40's are the peak of your lifespan as well. 50's are still middle age but IMO the transition from middle age to old. Someone who's around 57-59 years old could look like a young grandmother or grandfather.

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/16 at 9:14 am

Personally, I think your entire 30's is the transition from young adult to middle aged. I know many people in their early 30's who still look college aged, especially ones who have never done drugs their whole lives. Maybe 30-34 year old's are no longer young adults, but they are way too young to be called middle aged. I think for an average person the middle age begins in your late 30's. Your 40's are the peak of your middle age, and I think your 40's are the peak of your lifespan as well. 50's are still middle age but IMO the transition from middle age to old. Someone who's around 57-59 years old could look like a young grandmother or grandfather.

I don't think a lot of people in their 50s are grandparents nowadays, unless they had kids before they were 30, and their kids had kids before they were 30, both of which aren't really common anymore. I think you made a chart before, and I said I'd agree with it if everything were shifted forward 5 years. ;D (so 35 to 44 would be transition to middle age, and 45-54 would be middle aged).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/22/16 at 9:38 am

The oldest Millennials didn't start college until the fall of 2000.
It still depends though. Some sources are leaning towards the old demographic while some others are leaning towards the new group.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/22/16 at 9:46 am

I get where both of you are coming from. However I think the maturity level of an 18 year old is dramatically different to the maturity level of a 34 year old. However I guess you got a point, since many 30-34 year olds may still be in college and such, so they still are pretty young in the grand scheme of things! So if young adults is defined as ages 18-34 for instance a total of about 16 years then that would mean age 26 would be the peak your of your young adult years, which makes sense if you think about it. There young enough to have some grasp of current pop culture this making them able to relate to the 18-25 cohort and just old enough to be post college age (for the most part) and in their careers so old enough to relate to the 27-34 cohort.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/22/16 at 9:52 am

It still depends though. Some sources are leaning towards the old demographic while some others are leaning towards the new group.

Yeah but thread extremely rare these days though. Most recent sources start it in the early 80's and end it in the mid or late 90's.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/22/16 at 9:57 am

I don't think a lot of people in their 50s are grandparents nowadays, unless they had kids before they were 30, and their kids had kids before they were 30, both of which aren't really common anymore. I think you made a chart before, and I said I'd agree with it if everything were shifted forward 5 years. ;D (so 35 to 44 would be transition to middle age, and 45-54 would be middle aged).

Naw, I'm talking about on average. You shifted it because that was your experience based off your family, and a lot of people in my family look young for their age too. I'm still sticking with 30-39 as the transition from young adult to middle age, 40-49 as the peak of middle age, and 50-59 as the transition from middle age to old. This is average btw, and an average person would have most likely smoked at some point of their lives, or doesn't look young for their age but doesn't look too old for their age at the same time. IMO, 35-44 being the transition to middle age would mean they look really young for their age and has taken great care of themselves their whole lives, and if someone still doesn't look old yet by the time they're 60, then they definitely look young for their age. We wouldn't be saying all of this if it was 40-50 year ago. In modern society people keep looking more and more younger for their age. Since the 90's or 2000's, 30 has become the new 20, 40 has become the new 30, 50 has become the new 40, etc.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/16 at 2:57 pm

I was born in '85 and I claim the 90's.  I remember every bit of it

I was born in 1974 and I was in my late teens during the 90's.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/16 at 2:09 am

Yeah, I really don't see why this seems to be such a controversial concept for some. When I think back on the '90s, all of my memories revolve around stuff like Ninja Turtles, Super Nintendo, Power Rangers, Pogs, Goosebumps, etc., which is obviously radically different from the types of things that somebody born in 1976 is going to think of when he's looking back on his high school/college years.

It's same way with my '00s recollections compared to somebody born in 1997. Obviously, we experienced the decade in two completely different ways, with me entering college when they were just in 3rd grade, but the simple fact that I was older in the '00s doesn't somehow make my nostalgia of that decade any more "valuable" or "meaningful" than those who were growing up then as kids. It just makes it different.

Bottom line: Being a "child" of a particular decade is just a wholly different experience than being a "teen" of a decade.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/27/16 at 9:35 pm

Yeah, I really don't see why this seems to be such a controversial concept for some. When I think back on the '90s, all of my memories revolve around stuff like Ninja Turtles, Super Nintendo, Power Rangers, Pogs, Goosebumps, etc., which is obviously radically different from the types of things that somebody born in 1976 is going to think of when he's looking back on his high school/college years.

It's same way with my '00s recollections compared to somebody born in 1997. Obviously, we experienced the decade in two completely different ways, with me entering college when they were just in 3rd grade, but the simple fact that I was older in the '00s doesn't somehow make my nostalgia of that decade any more "valuable" or "meaningful" than those who were growing up then as kids. It just makes it different.

Bottom line: Being a "child" of a particular decade is just a wholly different experience than being a "teen" of a decade.

But here's where things get a bit tricky, what about young adults? As in those ages 18-30/34 during most or a good chunk of a certain decade!? Because if anything, its the 20 somethings that have a pretty keen importance to a decades culture.

Take this for instance, the show F*R*I*E*N*D*S ran from 1994-2004, so mostly the 90's. Because of this many people now consider it the quintessential show for 90's sitcoms (on par with Seinfeld). Like I determined before, I consider young adulthood to be between age 18 & 30. So someone who was age 25 or 26 (the peak of young adulthood, and ironically the age of the actual characters on the show; here's a wiki article to see for yourself: http://friends.wikia.com/wiki/Friends ) when the show first aired in 1994 would be your average 1968er or 1969er. Someone as old as a 1964er could've still been part of the young adult culture when relating to the tv show and someone as young as a 1976er.

Other quintessential Gen X Cultural moments occurred in 94' including the Suicide of Kurt Cobain, the rise of post Grunge because of this, the rising peak of Gangsta Rap and East vs West Coast, the drafting of NAFTA which divided Clinton's support among Xers, and Quintessential Gen X movies like Reality Bites and Clerks (filmed in my home state :D ).

Just throwing in my two cents, but when analyzing the whole decade debate, it seems we tend to forget about the young adults during a respected decade. We also tend to forget that childhood lasts longer than teenhood. Teenhood lasts from age 13-19, a total of 7 years. While childhood lasts from age 3-12, a total of 10 years. So while its easier to pin point who was a 90's kid or not, its much harder to articulate who's a 90's teen or not. In the case of me I would be mostly a 2010's teen being age 13-19 from 2009-2015. But at the same time I technically spent more time in the 2010's being a young adult (if you include 18-19) for 6 years in the decade. So would my years being age 18-19 relate more with how I was when I was 13-14 or to 23-24? Thats totally upto debate! But I think its a tragedy we don't (as in the internet community as a whole) talks about 90's nostalgia through the lens of a twenty something.

Its a darn shame that Millennials practically own 90's nostalgia now. So in a way I could emphasize the frustration with the OP in the article I posted. Although I do agree that Millennials do have every right to be nostalgic of the 90's through the lens of being kids, its important we aknowledge the teens and twenty somethings that literally defined the decade 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...