inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do you love the '90s?

Written By: 90s Guy on 02/23/16 at 9:55 pm

What do you love most about the '90s? What do you miss most about those times?

Subject: Re: Why do you love the '90s?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/23/16 at 10:06 pm

I like the 90s for its video games and computer designs.

Written By: 2001 on 02/23/16 at 10:10 pm

I only got to experience the late 90s, and my Slowpoke avatar should be able to give away the answer  :D

Thread topic is pretty broad. You should go first Mr. 90s Guy :P

Written By: 2001 on 02/23/16 at 10:14 pm

A 90s memory: When the Rowdyruff Boys episode from Powerpuff Girls aired sometime in 1999, all the girls tried to give the boys cooties by kissing them and we pretended it made us weaker or killed us. I know a lot of guys were happy that day.

Another 90s memory: When Ocarina of Time came out, some parts were too difficult or too scary for some kids to get through, so I would go over to their house or they'd come over to mine and bring their cartridge, and we'd finish it together. I have great memories from that. Sometime though, they would just give me their cartridge and ask me to bring it back tomorrow with a certain part finished.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/23/16 at 10:16 pm

I really cannot say enough positive things about the 90s, so I'll just give my personal top 5 reasons why I love the decade so much:

5. Fashion.  The 90s were really the first decade during which casual nonconformity was fully acceptable in fashion, a reflection of the social attitudes at the time.  At the same time, you still had certain distinguishers, such as Rachel cuts, flannel shirts, tube tops, bob cuts, curtained hair, bowl cuts, and revivals of 60s and 70s fashion.  I seriously wish I could dress like a young woman from 1999 every day!

4. Popular music was at an all-time high.  The mid-90s were an especially golden period for music, as that was when alternative music was most eclectic, pop and r&b had that wonderful, funky, silky sound to them, and there was a huge variety of genres on the charts.  The early 90s and late 90s, however, should also not be forgotten.  The early 90s produced a lot of excellent new-jack swing, house, and grunge, while the late 90s had the emergence of that delightfully in-your-face style of popular music that represented the Y2K era.

3. There was a perfect balance between useful technology and meaningful activity.  On one hand, you had access to computers, excellent video games, cell phones, CD's, email, and eventually the Internet during the 1990s.  However, people didn't constantly rely on doing things digitally, so there was still a lot more meaning to going out of the house for fun besides just to post pictures of you and your friends on Instagram.  Going to the video store to rent a new movie or video game, playing at the arcade, and the like were meaningful experiences.  I've never personally felt any true inconvenience over having to get outside to do these things.

2. The general attitudes resonate with me.  I'm not at all into the shallow, social media-obsessed, hipster collectivism of the 2010s, but I am all for the casually rebellious, ironic, creative, and optimistic atmosphere of the 90s.  It's a shame this type of culture is so hard to come by nowadays.

1. It was a period of innovation and individuality.  Technology, social values, global policy, music, video games, and most things in general were advancing more than ever throughout this decade, but in a positive way.  They promoted intellectualism, possibility, diversity, and expression to a degree that had never been seen before or since.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/23/16 at 10:21 pm

I grew up in that decade. Half of my childhood and most of my teenage years.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/23/16 at 11:06 pm

There was less political division. Not that there wasn't, but a lot less, at least to my six year old mind then.

Music was better. Unfortunately, in my eyes, music went downhill with teen pop's domination in 1999.

Gas prices got as cheap as .98 cents in a lot of cities.

The loose clothing was nice.

It was just a fun decade, overall.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/23/16 at 11:33 pm

I'll just use the Late 90s as my perspective.

The vibe was great, relaxing and mysterious. The music of my taste was smooth. I miss the old personal feel of the radio. It really felt like their time. They were lively like actual friends. The diversity selection of the Nintendo 64 alone made gaming in the 90s breath taking. Animation were at the peak of creativity. TV in general was carefully managed. Kid fads were adventurous. Technology basically didn't matter if not music, video games or personal contact related.

I'd rank the 90s as the most original decade.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/23/16 at 11:36 pm

I have respect for the 90's, since it's when my parents got married and when a lot of my cousins and friends were born including myself.

I prefer the mainstream/youth culture of the early & mid 90's, like the epic music, sitcoms, FOX, MTV, Atlanta Braves, NFL & NBA at the time, 1996 Olympics, '92 & '96 elections, 4th generation gaming, etc.

but I prefer the kid culture of the late 90's though, like 5th generation gaming, Pokemon, 1st half of CN's golden age, late 90's Nick, pre-1999 PBS Kids (afternoons), golden age of Kids WB, etc.

It would have been fun to experience the whole decade with clear memory had I been older, but honestly I'm proud that I grew up in the 2000's and the 2010's. I wouldn't want to be younger or older than what I already am.

Written By: Ripley on 02/24/16 at 8:12 am

Well I grew up in the 90's so lol

Written By: violet_shy on 02/24/16 at 6:15 pm

I loved:

The music: Music was at its best, especially dance music. I'm always nostalgic about it.

The fashion and fads. TV shows, the gaming...

I did a lot of growing up during the '90s. Spent all of my teenage years in the '90s...I had my long hair and perfect little figure :\'(  *sigh*

Written By: Gdowe1991 on 02/25/16 at 3:52 pm

I love the 90s mainly for the movies and music, although I do like some of the cartoons / tv shows and video games of the decade as well.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 02/26/16 at 7:53 am

What do you love most about the '90s? What do you miss most about those times?

- The outrageous clothes of the early '90s (I.e. Hypercolor, Zubaz, and Reebok Pumps)

- The hairdos

- Some of the inventions from the '90s, such as the first two Sonic the Hedgehog games.

- '90s pop culture (I.e. Married with Children, the first season of The Simpsons, and Tetris)

- The Malls of that time

- The happy neon colors of the early '90s

- The glamorization of the club kid in the early '90s

- The slang (I.e. Living Large and in Charge, totally cool, and rad)

- The economy before and after the recession of 1990 to '91

Written By: Howard on 02/26/16 at 8:02 am

- '90s pop culture (I.e. Married with Children, the first season of The Simpsons, and Tetris)

those were good times.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/27/16 at 9:33 am

In the 90's I really became passionate about listening to music. I loved how there were a vast abundance of music stores around both new and used. On the radio there was a variety of music played and teen pop wasn't dominant just yet. 80's music was honored at special hours on radio stations dedicating that time to only 80's songs. I eagerly awaited VH1's 4th of July marathon of music videos every summer, and miss the anticipation of it when I can satisfy the urge on YouTube now.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 02/27/16 at 12:38 pm

I miss the bright neon color schemes to just about everything in the early '90s. I love happy colors.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 12:40 pm

I miss the bright neon color schemes to just about everything in the early '90s. I love happy colors.

The early 2010s had a lot of neon too  ;)

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 02/27/16 at 12:50 pm

The early 2010s had a lot of neon too  ;)

But not like the early '90s did. I used to far going blind after looking at some of those dayglo colors in 1990.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/27/16 at 1:11 pm

The early 10's just do not compare to the early 90's. How one can make a comparison is just way beyond me.

The early 90s:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zBTOlkueeqo/Tvp3aRjln3I/AAAAAAAADt8/7GwXIIoTVyE/s1600/25hkavt.gif

(not as rad as the actual 80's, though)

The early 10s:
https://i.gyazo.com/8a3d4f342ce7f007aed52dd72d96a322.png

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 1:20 pm

Plaid wasn't popular in the early '10s.

But not like the early '90s did. I used to far going blind after looking at some of those dayglo colors in 1990.

True, the 80s/early 90s fashion are known for being very neon. The early '10s were more plain bright rather full-on neon, more like a backlash to the dark emo clothing of the 2000s. But people wore colours like orange, lime green, turquoise, hot pink, purple and other colours you wouldn't see in the 2000s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/27/16 at 1:33 pm

It's still accurate otherwise.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 02/27/16 at 3:47 pm

Plaid and neon were both in style at that time. The '90s revival was just getting off ground in the early '10s.

These shirts, in particular, were all of the rage then:

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=33344417

^ It reminds me of those old LA Gear and Guess Jeans shirts sold in 1990.  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/27/16 at 10:27 pm

Plaid and neon were both in style at that time. The '90s revival was just getting off ground in the early '10s.

These shirts, in particular, were all of the rage then:

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=33344417

^ It reminds me of those old LA Gear and Guess Jeans shirts sold in 1990.  ;D

Would you say my photo's above are accurate depictions of the cultural eras?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 02/28/16 at 8:20 am

Would you say my photo's above are accurate depictions of the cultural eras?

Yes, they were spot-on.  ;D

Written By: aja675 on 05/06/16 at 5:44 am

Because I was born in 1996, what makes them interesting is that they're at once familiar and unfamiliar.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/07/16 at 4:19 pm

I love it for the hip hop and R&B, movies, cartoons, SNES, N64, sports and wrestling!

Written By: Howard on 05/07/16 at 5:39 pm

I love it for the hip hop and R&B, movies, cartoons, SNES, N64, sports and wrestling!

I will agree with you on the wrestling part.

Check for new replies or respond here...