inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: En Vogue

Written By: Ripley on 03/10/16 at 8:23 pm

En Vogue were one of the biggest R&B groups of the 90's. Though they have released some songs since the end of that decade, they have been hardly played. The last popular album of theirs was EV3, their first without Dawn Robinson.

Since the Oakland quartet's hey day there have been a few line up changes. Dawn left and they became 3.  Maxine Jones left and was replaced by Amanda Cole.  She left and Rhonda Bennett came along. Next Maxine returned. There were now 4. But Dawn briefly came back and replaced Rhonda. Then left again and Rhonda replaced her. A short time later Dawn once again returned but briefly.

In 2012 Maxine and Dawn left. The two formed their own group and were trying to use the En Vogue title. But Cindy Herron and Terry Ellis, who were the only two members to never leave, aside from a short maternity leave, fought to keep the name. Due to an LLC, they got to.

Cindy, Terry and Rhonda are currently working on a new album. While Maxine and Dawn are on solo projects.

I was initially going to talk about the group in the 90's R&B topic but decided they need their own thread. They have so much talent!

Subject: Re: En Vogue

Written By: Ripley on 03/10/16 at 9:01 pm

They were formed in 1988 in Oakland, California.  Their debut album, Born To Sing was released in 1990. With it they had 4 hit singles. 

"Hold On"
liT8cILFAV4

"Lies"
kVpWes8MFm4

"You Don't Have To Worry"
Gd9MvCX55Qk

"Don't Go"
NixHqFmlTy0

And in 1991 a remix EP was released titled Remix To Sing.

"Strange"
5AP14c8JpkQ

Written By: Ripley on 03/10/16 at 9:30 pm

Their second album, Funky Divas, released in 1992, was a major success. Four of the Six singles were in the top 10. While the first two peaked at #1 on the R&B Chart. 

"My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)"
JIuYQ_4TcXg

"Giving Him Something He Can Feel"
y2RKb1R7jM0

"Yesterday"
ItESeU_4wOk

"Free Your Mind"
i7iQbBbMAFE

"Give It Up, Turn It Loose"7r1Or_pTdKA

"Love Don't Love You"
VR2jO05zHnA

Written By: Ripley on 03/10/16 at 9:59 pm

In 1993 they released the EP Runaway Love. It featured "Whatta Man", which was also on Salt-N-Pepa's Very Necessary album.

"Runaway Love"
pEatF1bvs80

"What Is Love"
XFdO2P4gnsw

"Whatta Man"
8-WFNbMohTQ

Written By: Ripley on 03/10/16 at 10:19 pm

1996 saw their last single before Dawn's departure.  "Don't Let Go (Love)" was for the Set It Off soundtrack and was their biggest hit.  It would also be on the next album.

"Don't Let Go (Love)"
mwhwGmoYv1s

The group's first album as a trio, EV3, was released in 1997. 

"Whatever"
YNNxKEYhFL0

"Too Gone, Too Long"
t4GV9KDqST4

Written By: Ripley on 03/10/16 at 10:33 pm

In 1998 they released the single "No Fool No More" from the soundtrack to Why Do Fools Fall In Love?.

vGkTg99or6A

Best Of En Vogue, a hits compilation, was released in 1999.  It was the last thing they released in the 90's.

Written By: nally on 03/11/16 at 12:52 am

They had several great songs.

My favorites:

Hold On
My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)
Free Your Mind
Don't Let Go (Love)

Written By: Howard on 03/11/16 at 7:24 am

My favorites:

Hold On
Free Your Mind
Don't Let Go (Love)

I only knew a few of their songs.

Written By: Ripley on 03/11/16 at 1:58 pm

My favorites:

Hold On
Free Your Mind
Don't Let Go (Love)

My favorite is Free Your Mind

Written By: nally on 03/11/16 at 3:03 pm

Oh yeah; that one has a good message in it, and it also contains elements of rock music. It was even nominated for that year's Grammy Award for Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo Or Group (but lost out to a U2 album).

Written By: Howard on 03/11/16 at 3:20 pm

What was their song with that James Brown sample? ???

Written By: Ripley on 03/11/16 at 5:18 pm

Oh yeah; that one has a good message in it, and it also contains elements of rock music. It was even nominated for that year's Grammy Award for Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo Or Group (but lost out to a U2 album).

They won a few awards for it.

But here is their Grammy performance:

Cy8TV7ELFEY

Written By: nally on 03/11/16 at 6:01 pm

They won a few awards for it.

But here is their Grammy performance:

Oh yes, that's right. I was just going by what I read on Wikopedia. Guess I should have read more. :)

Written By: Ripley on 03/11/16 at 7:03 pm

Oh yes, that's right. I was just going by what I read on Wikopedia. Guess I should have read more. :)

I read Wikipedia for a lot of things, so cool.  But they were a really good group. They had a lot of success.

Written By: nally on 03/11/16 at 11:30 pm

I read Wikipedia for a lot of things, so cool.  But they were a really good group. They had a lot of success.

They sure did.

I also liked their collaboration with Salt-N-Pepa on "Whatta Man".

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/12/16 at 7:27 am

I love these ladies! I like every single hit song of theirs! They are so talented, beautiful, creative, and majestic. Any time I wanna be put in a good mood, I listen to En Vogue. Timeless.

Written By: Ripley on 03/12/16 at 5:39 pm

I love these ladies! I like every single hit song of theirs! They are so talented, beautiful, creative, and majestic. Any time I wanna be put in a good mood, I listen to En Vogue. Timeless.

They are indeed Timeless!

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/16 at 2:57 pm

The only one I would consider a favourite was 'Free Your Mind'.  Though not from the soundtrack, it can be heard in the movie 'The Cowboy Way' which is one of my favourite films of the 90s

Written By: Ripley on 03/13/16 at 4:17 pm

The only one I would consider a favourite was 'Free Your Mind'.  Though not from the soundtrack, it can be heard in the movie 'The Cowboy Way' which is one of my favourite films of the 90s

I love that movie! I remember the song being in it.

Check for new replies or respond here...