inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pokemon 20th anniversary

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/11/16 at 12:24 pm

Hard to believe, but this popular game franchise is now 20 years old. What are your memories with Pokemon (for those of us who were in the target audience in its heyday)? Favorite game, least favorite, etc.?

Now, I'll admit, I generally don't like those "1990 was 40 million years ago" posts, but this...made me almost shed a tear of mirth - a tinge of joy, sadness, passage of time, crushing realizations, and longing:

http://i.imgur.com/z7sVuti.png

Why? Because the people who were roughly 12-20 when this review was written, are now roughly 20-30 or so. When Nostalgia Critic made his Pokemon Movie review, we were all just "those dumb little 12-20 year olds" who didn't have TMNT or Power Rangers like the "big kids" did. But now...those of us who grew up with Pokemon have become the "big kids". Yes, I know, I'm sounding like Buzzfeed, heh.

As Steve Miller says, time does indeed keep on slipping, and into the future. ;D

Subject: Re: Pokemon 20th anniversary

Written By: #Infinity on 03/11/16 at 1:05 pm

My favorite games were Gold & Silver, with special mention to the DS remakes from the early 2010s. They took everything wonderful about the original games and refined them, as well as adding several great new features. My least favorite Pokemon titles were Diamond and Pearl, due to there not being enough interesting new Pokemon (the few they added were largely third evolutions of older Pokemon), as well as the game engine being really sluggish. Pokemon Platinum fixed both of these issues, however.

I'm not sure if we'll ever have another Pokemania like during the millennial era, although the games have consistently sold excellently. For some reason, I have a feeling we may get a live action Michael Bay adaptation sometime in the not-too-distant future, similar to Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Let's hope the series doesn't become diminished to such a thing!

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/11/16 at 1:17 pm

I know this'll sound pathetic...but did anyone else almost get sad from that review?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/11/16 at 1:37 pm

I first known about Pokemon when I got a VHS tape of their anime (possibly Pokemon: The First Movie) during the 2005-2006 school year. I remembered watching one of the specials, and I really loved it. I also remembered when it had the Kids WB and 4Kids logos (since I was fascinated with logos). I didn't really care about Pokemon after that, until I started playing the games (on emulators) when I was 10. Playing Pokemon Red, Gold, and Emerald were really good. I'm still enthusiastic with Pokemon, which you can tell because I have Gengar as my current avatar (if you were reading this in March 11). However, I'm not into the current games. The sixth generation isn't my cup of tea, if you were wondering.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/11/16 at 1:42 pm

My best memories of Pokemon is when reruns started being played on Cartoon Network a lot. I remember playing the card game a lot with friends in 2nd grade.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/11/16 at 1:42 pm

I know this'll sound pathetic...but did anyone else almost get sad from that review?

Not really. I don't take Pokemon that serious. I'm not even extremely nostalgic over it, since I didn't experience playing the actual games until I was 10. If I were nostalgic over games, it would be computer games for Windows XP back in the mid 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 03/11/16 at 4:41 pm

Man, I remember when people our age 12-16 at the time were very nostalgic for our childhood items very early on. I was posting online 2007 about how I miss things like Pokémon, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, Yu-gi-oh, Nintendo 64 etc. and it wasn't even a nostalgia-dedicated forum. We weren't nostalgic for the calendar years yet though, no "90s kid" or "2000s kid" or any of that junk.

My favourite games in order -

1) Pokémon X and Y
2) Pokémon Black and White
3) Pokémon Gold and Silver
4) Pokémon Red and Blue
5) Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire
6) Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
7) Pokémon Black 2 and White 2

As for whether the article makes me sad, it did for the first two paragraph and I was nodding along to it. By the time I got to the third paragraph and realized the writer was a Gen Wunner, I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Pokémon never became "uncool" among my age group, we just naturally stopped following it. By the time Pokémon Diamond & Pearl came out, the hype was back up to speed. I don't feel like we ever outgrew it.

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/11/16 at 4:56 pm

The review made me sad in a good way, if that makes any sense. Well, a bittersweet way. :P

Also, I believe the reviewer is talking about the anime (as opposed to the games), and it is true that it became "uncool" when Misty left. But let's be honest: it was really, honestly, never a good show except for nostalgia. :P

Written By: 2001 on 03/11/16 at 5:04 pm

The review made me sad in a good way, if that makes any sense. Well, a bittersweet way. :P

Also, I believe the reviewer is talking about the anime (as opposed to the games), and it is true that it became "uncool" when Misty left. But let's be honest: it was really, honestly, never a good show except for nostalgia. :P

He says Pokémon became uncool after the movie came out. That was summer of 1999. Is he telling me he didn't stick around for Pokémon Yellow or Pokémon Stadium?  ;D The Indigo league didn't even end until the end of 2000 from what I remember.

I don't get along with Gen Wunners :P

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/11/16 at 5:08 pm

He says Pokémon became uncool after the movie came out. That was summer of 1999. Is he telling me he didn't stick around for Pokémon Yellow or Pokémon Stadium?  ;D The Indigo league didn't even end until the end of 2000 from what I remember.

Pretty sure "Emma" is a female name. ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 03/11/16 at 5:36 pm

I think Pokemon became uncool once the Master Quest season ended, but that's just me. I still enjoyed the first few seasons of the Advanced Generation on Kids WB for 2 more years.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/11/16 at 5:40 pm

The whole anime wasn't really that good. Even 20 years after its original release in Japan, it doesn't seem like a classic. Although this is coming from somebody who doesn't like anime, I really don't find it to be nostalgic. It wasn't even as good as Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, and even PBS Kids' cartoons.

Written By: 2001 on 03/11/16 at 6:09 pm

I think Pokemon became uncool once the Master Quest season ended, but that's just me. I still enjoyed the first few seasons of the Advanced Generation on Kids WB for 2 more years.

It became uncool in the sense that it wasn't exciting anymore, but it didn't become uncool in the sense that it was socially unacceptable, which is how the writer was recalling it.

Pretty sure "Emma" is a female name. ;D

Oops. My apologies. ;D

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 03/11/16 at 10:38 pm

Pokemon was the sh!t when I was a kid! First played Pokemon with Pokemon Red in 2000. Although I didn't beat it until 2-3 years after, it was still fun all of those years nonetheless! Then on GBC I would also play Pokemon Gold & Crystal, GBA with Emerald & Ruby, and finally with DS with Diamond! Unfortunately I haven't played the series that much since :\'(

When it came to the TV Show I agree with Mqg that the first 5 seasons were the best IMO. Give me Ash, Misty, & Brock any day of the week :D :D :D

And finally you can't forget about the card game! I first played it in PreK, so Late 2000/Early 2001, and I was obsessed with it until about 2003 or so.

Overall Pokemania was definitely part of me childhood and is something I look back on with fond memories!

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/11/16 at 10:47 pm

Pokemon was the sh!t when I was a kid! First played Pokemon with Pokemon Red in 2000. Although I didn't beat it until 2-3 years after, it was still fun all of those years nonetheless! Then on GBC I would also play Pokemon Gold & Crystal, GBA with Emerald & Ruby, and finally with DS with Diamond! Unfortunately I haven't played the series that much since :\'(

When it came to the TV Show I agree with Mqg that the first 5 seasons were the best IMO. Give me Ash, Misty, & Brock any day of the week :D :D :D

And finally you can't forget about the card game! I first played it in PreK, so Late 2000/Early 2001, and I was obsessed with it until about 2003 or so.

Overall Pokemania was definitely part of me childhood and is something I look back on with fond memories!

Having read the IMDb review, would you agree it's bittersweet how time keeps on slipping (slipping, slipping ;D) into the future?

Like, I'm guessing you might've read that review in 2008 (it was published very late in 2007), realized you were in that rough 12-20 bracket, and thought "Yeah, it was my childhood, but it wasn't that long ago, and I'm still a kid, so I don't really care!"

But then, around your late teens, that era probably started to feel a lot more distant, "unreachable", and it started to set in that you could never truly go back to your childhood ever again. Every person's had this feeling...it hits you like a brick wall.

I hate the "We're so old omg" stuff you see on Buzzfeed, but THIS review...was an exception to the rule.

I'm probably rambling here, but this forum could use more emotional content. ;D

Written By: annimal on 03/11/16 at 10:50 pm

Lets see, I had the yellow, one of my brothers had red and the other blue.

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/16 at 8:43 pm

Why did you get the best one?  ;D

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/12/16 at 9:43 pm

Genwunners have a very bad memory. Many of them claim that the backlash against Pokemon happened when Johto came out, despite the fact that Gold and Silver were huge successes, both financially and critically.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/12/16 at 9:44 pm

You hit the jackpot, dude!  :D

Written By: #Infinity on 03/12/16 at 9:48 pm

Genwunners have a very bad memory. They claim that the backlash against Pokemon happened when Johto came out, despite the fact that Gold and Silver were huge successes, both financially and critically.

Yeah, it seems like the backlash against Pokémon mostly kicked in during late 2001 and especially 2002, during which Yu-Gi-Oh! was at its height and before Ruby & Sapphire came out for the Game Boy Advance. The first year or so that Generation II was out, Pokémon was still extremely popular. I distinctly remember summer 2001 being the last time a lot of my friends still collected the cards or were interested in the games; I got Pokémon Crystal for my birthday that August and saw Pokémon 3: The Movie around that time as well.

Written By: Toon on 03/13/16 at 3:58 am

I'm still surprised that they still make movies. Last one I remember ever watching was Pokemon 3 in 2001/2002.

When it comes to Pokemon the very first Pokemon I ever got was Pokemon Yellow for the Gameboy Color in Christmas 1999 (same time I got the Gameboy Color handheld). Between 1999-2004 I had a crazy Pokemon obsession. I collected the cards (even gotten the gold cards), saw the TV show when it aired on Kids WB, collection the games (although when talking about the 2nd Gen I only got Pokemon Crystal), and watched all the movies at the time.

Written By: annimal on 03/13/16 at 1:32 pm

I never watched the movies, and I don't know how I ended up with the best game.  I think each of us got these games one Christmas or something.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/16 at 1:45 pm

The first Pokemon film received 14% from Rotten Tomatoes, on that judgement I never went to see it, and have not bothered with the others.

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/16 at 2:55 pm

I never caught on to the Pokémon craze and I still don't see the big deal.  I was never a fan of turn based RPGs because in a real battle, why would I wait for you to attack me before I can attack you, and when standing so close, how do the characters miss hits?

Plus, if you have weapons, what kind of weak ass moves are you doing if you can't kill someone in one hit? lol

Written By: annimal on 03/13/16 at 3:11 pm

No crase here just played the game and traded with my brothers

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/16 at 3:41 pm

I never caught on to the Pokémon craze and I still don't see the big deal.  I was never a fan of turn based RPGs because in a real battle, why would I wait for you to attack me before I can attack you, and when standing so close, how do the characters miss hits?

Plus, if you have weapons, what kind of weak ass moves are you doing if you can't kill someone in one hit? lol

You are over-thinking this.  Turn-based RPGs require more strategy, and the Pokémon try to dodge the attacks when the other attacks, they don't just stand there.

Also, none of the Pokémon ever get killed, they only faint!  >:(

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/13/16 at 9:22 pm

Pokemon was my first anime along with Digimon I discovered! I want to thank the series for giving me some of the best experiences on weekdays and Saturday mornings during the Y2K and early 00s eras. The promos and commercials from that time still give me the chills. And Pokemon Stadium 1 was a BREATHE TAKING experience when I first played it.

Written By: Toon on 03/14/16 at 10:09 am

The first Pokemon film received 14% from Rotten Tomatoes, on that judgement I never went to see it, and have not bothered with the others.

Yeah, the Pokemon movies never were really any good. Back then when the movies aired tons of kids loved them due to kids just liking anything, but as an adult the movies don't seem very good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/16 at 10:25 am

Yeah, the Pokemon movies never were really any good. Back then when the movies aired tons of kids loved them due to kids just liking anything, but as an adult the movies don't seem very good.
Folder for the fans?

Written By: mqg96 on 03/14/16 at 12:04 pm

I remembering liking the Pokemon movies too, but I didn't see those in theaters. I saw those on the Cartoon Theater block on CN. I think there's a lot of kid films from the early & mid 2000's that I liked that many older people found terrible. I enjoyed ALL of the Spy Kids movies, especially Island of Lost Dreams and Game Over, but I know many people who thought those were mediocre. I remember being excited for Shark Tale and Chicken Little when those came out as well, and I enjoyed it in theaters. I couldn't watch those movies now though.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/14/16 at 12:43 pm

I remembering liking the Pokemon movies too, but I didn't see those in theaters. I saw those on the Cartoon Theater block on CN. I think there's a lot of kid films from the early & mid 2000's that I liked that many older people found terrible. I enjoyed ALL of the Spy Kids movies, especially Island of Lost Dreams and Game Over, but I know many people who thought those were mediocre. I remember being excited for Shark Tale and Chicken Little when those came out as well, and I enjoyed it in theaters. I couldn't watch those movies now though.

I liked Shark Tale A LOT and still do to this day! Chicken Little on the other hand.... that movie is a piece of sheesh and back then seeing it in theaters at 10 I thought it was kinda stupid. I can honestly thank that movie and Hoodwinked for getting me out of animated movies! ;D  4th grade was a pretty mediocre year for movies. I  even regret choosing the movies I chose! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/14/16 at 12:56 pm

I thought these movies were awesome growing up that the critics weren't too fond of them!  ;D ;D ::) ::)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTY1MDU5MTY4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTM1NTUxMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg http://www.dvd-covers.org/d/88508-3/583All_Dogs_Go_To_Heaven_2.jpg http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/10/101964/2691453-7018722352-Pokem.jpg http://cineplex.media.baselineresearch.com/images/210232/210232_full.jpg http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNTUwMTYyNDY1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzgzNDEzMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Inspector_gadget_ver2.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KDF1PV22L.jpg http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTI4MTQyNTUzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzE2MDAwMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg http://www.dvd-covers.org/d/72411-3/1322Max_Keeble_s_Big_Move.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LM4l-jraL._SX940_.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f6/Agent_Cody_Banks_film_poster.jpg http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTkwNDYxNTUzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzY5NzAyMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/Air_bud_poster.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61RM90ARRPL.jpghttp://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTIwODc4NzcyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTY5OTY5._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpghttp://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTIxOTUxMTY5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzI2NDAyMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b6/Jumanji_poster.jpg

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/14/16 at 1:15 pm

I apologize for getting off topic I was just naming things I loved that critics weren't too fond of. ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 03/25/16 at 6:52 pm

I was older than most when the first games came out, already out of high school.

Written By: 2001 on 03/25/16 at 6:59 pm

I was older than most when the first games came out, already out of high school.

Everyone of all ages should be playing Pokemon :D

Did you buy the latest one, X/Y ?

Written By: Step-chan on 03/27/16 at 12:00 am

Everyone of all ages should be playing Pokemon :D

Did you buy the latest one, X/Y ?

Current gen wise, I have both X and Omega Ruby. Definitely got a lot of mileage of out both, especially since they improved different mechanics(including breeding).

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/16 at 12:41 am

Current gen wise, I have both X and Omega Ruby. Definitely got a lot of mileage of out both, especially since they improved different mechanics(including breeding).

I should get Omega Ruby. I need my fix.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/27/16 at 9:56 pm

There's both Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Whatever version my teenage nephew gets, I get the opposite version of. Kind of helps us a bit.

On a side note, I'm currently on a break from gaming in general(until Dragon Quest 7 3DS is released). If any mega evos/forms get revealed for Sun and Moon that I've been wanting for awhile, I will jump back on Omega Ruby and do more breeding sessions. Always helps to be prepared.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/16 at 10:25 pm

Did it begin in Japan in 1996? Or in America in 1996? Or different times/years for different countries?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/28/16 at 5:51 am

Did it begin in Japan in 1996? Or in America in 1996? Or different times/years for different countries?

It began in Japan in 1996, while it was released in America in 1998.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/16 at 9:24 am

It began in Japan in 1996, while it was released in America in 1998.

I remember not hearing about it until about late 1998.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/28/16 at 3:41 pm

I remember not hearing about it until about late 1998.

Well yeah, the thing is that Pokemon Red and Blue were released in September 29, 1998 in North America. So, it's no big surprise why you didn't found out about it until then.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/29/16 at 9:31 am

I don't know if anybody else agrees, but I actually think Generation 2 (the Gold & Silver era) is the best generation of Pokemon. I know that most people that started playing with Red & Blue like I did are usually so-called "Genwunners", but I prefer Gen 2 for the following reasons:

1. I think that 250 Pokemon is just the right amount. It's considerably more than the original 150, but it's still a reasonable enough number that you could possibly "catch 'em all", unlike in later generations where the amount of Pokemon tops 300-400+.

2. I love the idea of the "roaming legendary" Pokemon Raikou, Entei, and Suicune, and the way that you can just randomly encounter them anywhere.

3. The introduction of addicting new features like Pokemon breeding, the passage of day and nighttime, hold items like berries, specialized Pokeballs, and a cell phone to call trainers you've already beaten and challenge them again.

4. The introduction of two new badass Pokemon types (Steel and Dark) as well as the rare "Shiny Pokemon".

5. This might just be a personal thing, but Gen 2 has some of the coolest cities in the series. I particularly love Goldenrod City, Olivine City, Cainwood City and Blackthorn City.

6. The fact that you can return to Kanto. I think this is arguably the coolest feature in any Pokemon generation ever. You can return to all of the cities you went to on Pokemon Red & Blue, and actually go back through all eight gyms and collect the badges again. This allows you to collect a total of sixteen badges on Gold & Silver and effectively makes both titles two games in one.

7. Getting to fight yourself from Gen 1. After you've gotten all sixteen badges the game has to offer, you can travel to Mt. Silver and actually do battle with "Red", the character that you played as in Red & Blue, who went into exile after winning the Pokemon Championship. His team is brutal, with each of the three original starter Pokemon fully evolved and at level 77, a level 75 Snorlax, a level 73 Espeon, and a level 81 Pickachu. If you can manage to do it, defeating Red is, to me, the ultimate crowning achievement of the entire Pokemon series.

Written By: Zelek2 on 03/29/16 at 2:48 pm

For some "Genwunners", it's not just Gen 1 that they hold close to their heart, but Gens 1-3 altogether.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/29/16 at 3:53 pm

I don't know if anybody else agrees, but I actually think Generation 2 (the Gold & Silver era) is the best generation of Pokemon. I know that most people that started playing with Red & Blue like I did are usually so-called "Genwunners", but I prefer Gen 2 for the following reasons:

1. I think that 250 Pokemon is just the right amount. It's considerably more than the original 150, but it's still a reasonable enough number that you could possibly "catch 'em all", unlike in later generations where the amount of Pokemon tops 300-400+.

2. I love the idea of the "roaming legendary" Pokemon Raikou, Entei, and Suicune, and the way that you can just randomly encounter them anywhere.

3. The introduction of addicting new features like Pokemon breeding, the passage of day and nighttime, hold items like berries, specialized Pokeballs, and a cell phone to call trainers you've already beaten and challenge them again.

4. The introduction of two new badass Pokemon types (Steel and Dark) as well as the rare "Shiny Pokemon".

5. This might just be a personal thing, but Gen 2 has some of the coolest cities in the series. I particularly love Goldenrod City, Olivine City, Cainwood City and Blackthorn City.

6. The fact that you can return to Kanto. I think this is arguably the coolest feature in any Pokemon generation ever. You can return to all of the cities you went to on Pokemon Red & Blue, and actually go back through all eight gyms and collect the badges again. This allows you to collect a total of sixteen badges on Gold & Silver and effectively makes both titles two games in one.

7. Getting to fight yourself from Gen 1. After you've gotten all sixteen badges the game has to offer, you can travel to Mt. Silver and actually do battle with "Red", the character that you played as in Red & Blue, who went into exile after winning the Pokemon Championship. His team is brutal, with each of the three original starter Pokemon fully evolved and at level 77, a level 75 Snorlax, a level 73 Espeon, and a level 81 Pickachu. If you can manage to do it, defeating Red is, to me, the ultimate crowning achievement of the entire Pokemon series.

https://media.giphy.com/media/f1znoFu1ywA5W/200w.gif

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/30/16 at 1:17 pm

https://media.giphy.com/media/f1znoFu1ywA5W/200w.gif

Make it double. Kanto and Johto were the golden heck, silver age of Pokémon. The series completely collapsed after gen 3. You'll never see a new generation of Pokémon that has that exciting, actual Pokemon feel gen 1 and gen 2 have.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/30/16 at 3:26 pm

Make it double. Kanto and Johto were the golden heck, silver age of Pokémon. The series completely collapsed after gen 3. You'll never see a new generation of Pokémon that has that exciting, actual Pokemon feel gen 1 and gen 2 have.

Well, Generation IV was alright, although I prefer playing Platinum rather than Diamond and Pearl. After that, Pokemon wasn't doing that well.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/01/16 at 10:55 am

Well, Generation IV was alright, although I prefer playing Platinum rather than Diamond and Pearl. After that, Pokemon wasn't doing that well.

I did enjoy gen 4. Haha I would say gen 4 is the last gen with a fair amount of memorable Pokémon. Lucario and Infernape owned. Haxorus is the only reason I would ever move to gen 5.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/01/16 at 2:57 pm

Well yeah, the thing is that Pokemon Red and Blue were released in September 29, 1998 in North America. So, it's no big surprise why you didn't found out about it until then.

The reason for the larger gap between the release dates(over two and half years at that) was due to the original Japanese Red and Green version's game code being too delicate and fragile. This made translating the games into English impossible. The original source code's fragility was a side effect of the long development time of the games. They started in 1990, with plans to release it in late 1991, but on and off financial problems caused them to have to stop and do other games to get more funds, thus not getting released until 1996 in Japan.

Japan's third version was Blue(since Yellow version is an anime tie in of sorts), done to help boost the sales of the games(which were originally selling steadily, but not breaking record sales).  It had fresh code(and better graphics) so they used it to make Red and Green from the ground up for the U.S. release and simply renamed Green version Blue.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/16 at 3:06 pm

I did enjoy gen 4. Haha I would say gen 4 is the last gen with a fair amount of memorable Pokémon. Lucario and Infernape owned. Haxorus is the only reason I would ever move to gen 5.

True. Generation IV was really special. Especially with Heartgold and Soulsilver being my favorite Pokemon remake. After Gen IV, you had the franchise being lame. Even the anime.

Written By: 2001 on 04/20/16 at 8:27 pm

For some "Genwunners", it's not just Gen 1 that they hold close to their heart, but Gens 1-3 altogether.

Then they aren't Genwunners lol. Genwunners are people who only like the first 151.

I think I prefer first Gen slightly over second Gen, but they're both great! Being able to go back to Kanto was one of my favourite things about the game as well. When they didn't include it in Ruby/Sapphire I was very disappointed.  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/22/16 at 3:37 pm

Then they aren't Genwunners lol. Genwunners are people who only like the first 151.

I think I prefer first Gen slightly over second Gen, but they're both great! Being able to go back to Kanto was one of my favourite things about the game as well. When they didn't include it in Ruby/Sapphire I was very disappointed.  :(

I think you could go to Kanto in Generation II, because Pokemon had the same kids playing their games in 1999/2000. That's when Pokemon Gold and Silver was released, if you were wondering.

Written By: Zelek2 on 04/24/16 at 1:40 pm

Did the review make anyone else here shed a small tear of melancholy?

Why, you may ask? Because the people who were roughly 12-20 when this review was written, are now roughly 20-30 or so. When Nostalgia Critic made his Pokemon Movie review in 2008, we were all just "those dumb little 12-20 year olds" who didn't experience TMNT or Power Rangers quite as much as the "big kids" did, and had Pokemon which was seen as "for babies" and "too new to get nostalgic over".

But now, in 2016...those of us who grew up with Pokemon have become the "big kids". Yes, I know, I'm sounding like Buzzfeed.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 2:01 pm

Why, you may ask? Because the people who were roughly 12-20 when this review was written, are now roughly 20-30 or so. When Nostalgia Critic made his Pokemon Movie review in 2008, we were all just "those dumb little 12-20 year olds" who didn't experience TMNT or Power Rangers quite as much as the "big kids" did, and had Pokemon which was seen as "for babies" and "too new to get nostalgic over".

But now, in 2016...those of us who grew up with Pokemon have become the "big kids". Yes, I know, I'm sounding like Buzzfeed.

Honestly, that whole post sounded like somebody who was nostalgic for the 90s from Buzzfeed.

Written By: 2001 on 04/27/16 at 3:21 pm

You just copy and pasted your OP lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/01/16 at 8:48 pm

When it came to those kiddy anime franchises I just remember Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh being on CN all the time and Digimon and Beyblade being on Jetix all the time. I was not into the games at all and hardly into the cards unless classmates brought the cards with them.

Written By: 2001 on 05/06/16 at 8:45 pm

CONTROVERSIAL

If I were to rank the Pokémon games in terms of pure fun /gameplay, and not how many Pokémon I memorized or how pretty the designs were

Pokémon X/Y
Pokémon Black / White
Pokémon Red / Blue
Pokémon Gold / Silver
Pokémon Diamond / Pearl
Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire
Pokémon Black 2 / White 2

The last 3 I disliked, while the first 4 are some of the best games I've ever played.

Written By: Toon on 05/06/16 at 11:40 pm

CONTROVERSIAL

If I were to rank the Pokémon games in terms of pure fun /gameplay, and not how many Pokémon I memorized or how pretty the designs were

Pokémon X/Y
Pokémon Black / White
Pokémon Red / Blue
Pokémon Gold / Silver
Pokémon Diamond / Pearl
Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire
Pokémon Black 2 / White 2

The last 3 I disliked, while the first 4 are some of the best games I've ever played.

This post rustled my jimmies.  >:(

Written By: 2001 on 05/07/16 at 12:31 am

This post rustled my jimmies.  >:(

Sorry but Ruby was a disappointment coming from the previous two. That map was a mess.

Written By: Toon on 05/07/16 at 12:43 am

Sorry but Ruby was a disappointment coming from the previous two. That map was a mess.

When it came to Pokemon I only liked the 3rd release of each generation. For Gen 1 it was Yellow 1999. For 2 it was Crystal 2001. For 3 it was Emerald in 2004. 4 it was Platinum in 2008. And that's when I stopped. Haven't played a Pokemon game since Platinum which was........8 years ago..  :o

Pokemon nowadays isn't bad, but I never liked buying the first 2 releases of each gen. And it's been 8 years since Nintendo released a 3rd version for a Pokemon gen.

Written By: 2001 on 05/07/16 at 12:49 am

When it came to Pokemon I only liked the 3rd release of each generation. For Gen 1 it was Yellow 1999. For 2 it was Crystal 2001. For 3 it was Emerald in 2004. 4 it was Platinum in 2008. And that's when I stopped. Haven't played a Pokemon game since Platinum which was........8 years ago..  :o

Pokemon nowadays isn't bad, but I never liked buying the first 2 releases of each gen. And it's been 8 years since Nintendo released a 3rd version for a Pokemon gen.

So you stopped right before the games got good again? :P

Written By: Toon on 05/07/16 at 12:55 am

So you stopped right before the games got good again? :P

Didn't think they ever got bad. I did try Black and White 2, but they weren't very interesting to me. I may X/Y or the next upcoming games sometime in the future.

Check for new replies or respond here...