inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 20 years ago: The Macarena

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/08/16 at 3:37 pm

For about a year, from late 1995 through the middle of of 1997, American airwaves, graduations, dances, sports games and all sorts of social events were dominated by one single song: The Macarena. The song was dominant especially in 1996, when it was inescapable. For a four month period, from August 3rd, 1996, through November 2nd 1996, Macarena was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

With the passage of 20 years, what are your Macarena memories?

Subject: Re: 20 years ago: The Macarena

Written By: #Infinity on 04/08/16 at 4:00 pm

This toy was my introduction to the "Macarena," and essentially the primary thing that came to mind when I thought of it until I saw the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHMO5DAXiIY

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/08/16 at 5:25 pm

Even though I'm a 2000s kid, they played Macarena sometimes during my gym class in 3rd-4th grade. That's pretty much it.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/16 at 5:31 pm

What's a Macarena?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/08/16 at 5:58 pm

What's a Macarena?

It was one of the most obnoxious fad dances I ever witnessed. 

>:(

XiBYM6g8Tck

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/08/16 at 6:02 pm

What's a Macarena?
The movements for the dance...

http://the-toast.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Macarena-post-3.jpg

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/08/16 at 6:52 pm

Dude, when I was in the 5th grade (96-97) my teacher Mrs. Lowell and her friend, Mrs. Wiggins combined our two classes and we all learned to dance the Macarena in our classroom. It was fun and I still remember it like it was yesterday cause I ran home and taught it to my mom.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/16 at 6:54 pm

XiBYM6g8Tck

Does it come with a discount? Just kidding. I remember the Macarena in 1996 and 1997. It was hugely popular!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/16 at 6:58 pm

The movements for the dance...

http://the-toast.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Macarena-post-3.jpg

Like Twister?

http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/13697927?wid=480&hei=480

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/16 at 6:59 pm

Dude, when I was in the 5th grade (96-97) my teacher Mrs. Lowell and her friend, Mrs. Wiggins combined our two classes and we all learned to dance the Macarena in our classroom. It was fun and I still remember it like it was yesterday cause I ran home and taught it to my mom.  ;D

Yup, I remember first and second grade, dancing it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/16 at 2:40 am

Like Twister?

http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/13697927?wid=480&hei=480
The Twist is a totally different dance.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/16 at 6:55 am

XiBYM6g8Tck

The video was stupid too.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/16 at 6:57 am

Wasn't it a silly dance?

Written By: Howard on 04/09/16 at 6:58 am

What is the origin of The Macarena? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/16 at 9:05 am

What is the origin of The Macarena? ???
From Wiki:

"As a result of their lounge act, Los del Río were invited to tour South America in March 1992 and, while visiting Venezuela, they were invited to a private party held by the Venezuelan empresario Gustavo Cisneros. Many prominent Venezuelans were in attendance that night, including former president Carlos Andrés Pérez.

Cisneros had arranged for a local flamenco teacher, Diana Patricia Cubillán Herrera, to do a small performance for the guests, and Los Del Rio were pleasantly surprised by Cubillán's dance skills. Spontaneously, Antonio Romero Monge, one half of the Los del Río duo, recited the song's chorus-to-be on the spot, as an accolade to Cubillán, but naming her "Ma'dalena" (Magdalena): "Dale a tu cuerpo alegría, Ma'dalena, que tu cuerpo e' pa' darle alegría y cosa' buena'" ("Give your body some joy, Magdalene, 'cause your body is for giving joy and good things too"). In Andalusian culture labeling a woman "Magdalena" is to give her a faint association with Mary Magdalene's reportedly seedy past, and more accurately describes her as being sassy or sensuous."

Written By: Howard on 04/09/16 at 5:45 pm

From Wiki:

"As a result of their lounge act, Los del Río were invited to tour South America in March 1992 and, while visiting Venezuela, they were invited to a private party held by the Venezuelan empresario Gustavo Cisneros. Many prominent Venezuelans were in attendance that night, including former president Carlos Andrés Pérez.

Cisneros had arranged for a local flamenco teacher, Diana Patricia Cubillán Herrera, to do a small performance for the guests, and Los Del Rio were pleasantly surprised by Cubillán's dance skills. Spontaneously, Antonio Romero Monge, one half of the Los del Río duo, recited the song's chorus-to-be on the spot, as an accolade to Cubillán, but naming her "Ma'dalena" (Magdalena): "Dale a tu cuerpo alegría, Ma'dalena, que tu cuerpo e' pa' darle alegría y cosa' buena'" ("Give your body some joy, Magdalene, 'cause your body is for giving joy and good things too"). In Andalusian culture labeling a woman "Magdalena" is to give her a faint association with Mary Magdalene's reportedly seedy past, and more accurately describes her as being sassy or sensuous."

Thanks Phil. :)

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/10/16 at 7:51 am

I can't remember the fad myself; I learned it in the late 90s from "the older kids", and never forget it.

Written By: Howard on 04/10/16 at 2:38 pm

http://www.losdelrio.es/images/noticias/2015/febrero/conciertos2015.jpg
You got to give them credit for making a silly dance a fad of the 90's.

Written By: whistledog on 04/10/16 at 8:47 pm

There was another official version of Macarena by Los Del Mar featuring Wil Veloz.  Though it was a cover, it became the bigger hit here in Canada, and charted before the Los Del Rio version because it qualified for Canadian Content.  As far as I know, the Los Del Rio version was the first charter for the rest of the world.

They both sound similar, but you can tell them apart because the Bayside Boys remix of the Los Del Rio version samples Alison Moyet's laugh from the Yaz song Situation.  The Los Del Mar version does not.

Here is a brief chart rundown of both ...

ARTIST Los Del Rio (Bayside Boys Remix) Los Del Mar (featuring Wil Veloz)

US 1 71
US DANCE 46 46

CAN - 1
CAN DANCE 16 2

UK 2 43

Los Del Mar featuring Wil Veloz - Macarena
JlepXNsxolc

Written By: nally on 04/10/16 at 9:40 pm

They both sound similar, but you can tell them apart because the Bayside Boys remix of the Los Del Rio version samples Alison Moyet's laugh from the Yaz song Situation.  The Los Del Mar version does not.

Yes, that's the one thing I noticed in the Baside Boys Mix version... which I first remember hearing on the radio in summer 1995. Also, the Bayside Boys Mix version has verses in English sung by a female vocalist named Carla Vanessa (according to what I am reading on Wiki right now... for the longest time I thought she'd been uncredited), whereas the other mixed versions do not.

Here is a brief chart rundown of both ...

ARTIST Los Del Rio (Bayside Boys Remix) Los Del Mar (featuring Wil Veloz)

US 1 71
US DANCE 46 46

CAN - 1
CAN DANCE 16 2

UK 2 43

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/10/16 at 10:45 pm

Yes, that's the one thing I noticed in the Baside Boys Mix version... which I first remember hearing on the radio in summer 1995. Also, the Bayside Boys Mix version has verses in English sung by a female vocalist named Carla Vanessa (according to what I am reading on Wiki right now... for the longest time I thought she'd been uncredited), whereas the other mixed versions do not.

It still doesn't make the song any less obnoxious.

Written By: nally on 04/10/16 at 10:47 pm

It still doesn't make the song any less obnoxious.

I was just curious as to who sang it, that's all.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/11/16 at 12:09 am

I was just curious as to who sang it, that's all.

The only one I ever knew about was the one from Los Del Rio.  The one from Los Del Mar I just ignored it because by the time this came out it was so overplayed that I ended up hating it.

Written By: nally on 04/11/16 at 1:44 pm

The only one I ever knew about was the one from Los Del Rio.  The one from Los Del Mar I just ignored it because by the time this came out it was so overplayed that I ended up hating it.

I didn't care for the Los Del Mar version myself. :P

Written By: Howard on 04/11/16 at 2:32 pm

I don't blame you, the song and the dance were overplayed.

Written By: Howard on 04/11/16 at 2:33 pm

the video was kind of sexy.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/14/16 at 6:03 pm

I didn't care for either one.  No matter who sings it it's still obnoxious.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/14/16 at 6:19 pm

I am an 00's kid, but I remember it being popular in 1997 when I was only 2 years old! Because my older brother kept dancing to it.

Written By: nally on 04/14/16 at 7:54 pm

Whatever. You are certainly entitled to your opinions of it, but I was personally ok with it myself.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/16 at 6:19 am

I know an even worse version, but I am not mentioning it here!

Written By: Howard on 04/15/16 at 7:17 am

even the music video is obnoxious as well.

Written By: Howard on 04/15/16 at 7:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Df-YjO8W8
this is the original version

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/16 at 9:31 am

I know an even worse version, but I am not mentioning it here!

Just for you Phil :P

9puI26osjQs

'Macarena' by Los Del Chipmunks made it to #65 in the UK

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/16 at 9:33 am

9puI26osjQs

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

Written By: Howard on 04/15/16 at 2:35 pm

9puI26osjQs

;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/15/16 at 5:57 pm

Q6hfkrZ_elA

Written By: nally on 04/15/16 at 5:59 pm

^ oh yes, I've seen the Animaniacs version too. :D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/15/16 at 10:49 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

Dude you asked for it.  LOL! ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/16/16 at 7:18 am

Q6hfkrZ_elA

this is so funny.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/16 at 7:19 am

Dude you asked for it.  LOL! ;D
I am just amazed he knew which version I was talking about.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/16 at 7:20 am

Q6hfkrZ_elA
I am not listening to it!

Written By: nally on 04/16/16 at 8:00 pm

I am not listening to it!

All it is is a parody of the song.

Those who are familiar with the animated tv show Animaniacs (which ran during the 90s) might be familiar with the content.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/23/16 at 9:50 pm

All it is is a parody of the song.

Those who are familiar with the animated tv show Animaniacs (which ran during the 90s) might be familiar with the content.

I was 16 when I first started watching this show.  It doesn't sound anything like the original song.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/16 at 10:33 pm

It's the first song I remember hearing ever. It was sometime in 1997, and my kindergarten teacher's name was Macarena. Everytime I told anyone what my teacher's name was, they'd start dancing the Macarena, and I'd start hitting them because I thought they were making fun of my teacher.

Written By: nally on 04/23/16 at 11:05 pm

I was 16 when I first started watching this show.  It doesn't sound anything like the original song.

The melody and stuff are similar, at least from my point of view.

I didn't even start watching the show until it was toward the end of its original run; by then I was in my late teens but still had a guilty pleasure for the show anyway, due to the humor. In fact, I had some favorite episodes.  I wish I could see the reruns on tv again but no channel is showing 'em anymore. (A few years ago there was the Hub channel that was showing them, but it turned into a different channel last year.)

Written By: Slim95 on 04/23/16 at 11:39 pm

It's the first song I remember hearing ever. It was sometime in 1997, and my kindergarten teacher's name was Macarena. Everytime I told anyone what my teacher's name was, they'd start dancing the Macarena, and I'd start hitting them because I thought they were making fun of my teacher.

Same as me actually. One of the first songs I remember hearing. As a three year old I still remember it was funny seeing my brother dance to it.  ;D

Written By: aja675 on 04/24/16 at 6:41 am

Same as me actually. One of the first songs I remember hearing. As a three year old I still remember it was funny seeing my brother dance to it.  ;D
My first musical memory was Mama by the Spice Girls which I heard in a birthday party when I was 1 where that song was being sung on karaoke.

Written By: 2001 on 04/24/16 at 7:47 am

My first musical memory was Mama by the Spice Girls which I heard in a birthday party when I was 1 where that song was being sung on karaoke.

You can remember things from when you were one? Must've been a really catchy song!

Written By: nally on 04/24/16 at 11:10 am

You can remember things from when you were one? Must've been a really catchy song!

I can't remember anything from when I was 1, although I do have vague memories of my parents playing the radio in the car when I was little. (This, of course, was early 80s.)

Written By: Howard on 04/24/16 at 2:29 pm

Her name was Macarena? :o

Written By: 2001 on 04/24/16 at 2:30 pm

Yes, quite an unfortunate name in the 90s.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/24/16 at 2:31 pm

I never heard of a name, just the dance.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 2:38 pm

Damn, it's nearly impossible to remember something when you were 1. I could recall remember some things when I was 2, but not that much.

Written By: nally on 04/24/16 at 9:04 pm

Damn, it's nearly impossible to remember something when you were 1. I could recall remember some things when I was 2, but not that much.

Anything I might remember prior to age 4 would be a fuzzy memory for me.

Written By: nally on 04/24/16 at 9:05 pm

I never heard of a name, just the dance.

I never heard it as a name either.

However, a couple years later I met a person whose last name was Macareno.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/16 at 9:09 pm

Anything I might remember prior to age 4 would be a fuzzy memory for me.

Honestly, anything that I remembered prior to age 3 would be a fuzzy memory to me. My memories when I was 2 were fuzzy, since I could barely remember anything at that age.

Written By: nally on 04/24/16 at 9:15 pm

Honestly, anything that I remembered prior to age 3 would be a fuzzy memory to me. My memories when I was 2 were fuzzy, since I could barely remember anything at that age.

It's like that for a lot of people. I was 3 in 1983 and have no specific memories whatsoever of that year. However, I do remember a few things from the first half of 1984.

Written By: 2001 on 04/24/16 at 10:43 pm

I never heard it as a name either.

However, a couple years later I met a person whose last name was Macareno.

The song is about a girl named Macarena.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/16 at 12:48 am

In Andalusian culture labeling a woman "Magdalena" is to give her a faint association with Mary Magdalene's reportedly seedy past, and more accurately describes her as being sassy or sensuous."

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/25/16 at 1:43 am

I remember a lot of things from my childhood.

Written By: nally on 04/25/16 at 1:56 pm

I knew that!! (After I read the info on Wikpedia a few years back.)

Written By: Howard on 04/25/16 at 2:29 pm

What was her last name?

Written By: aja675 on 05/27/16 at 10:14 pm

When I said that on PersonalityCafe, I accidentally made a member born in 1983 feel old.

Check for new replies or respond here...