inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HD video of New York in 1993

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 9:06 pm

Slammin' and all that!

fT4lDU-QLUY

https://youtu.be/fT4lDU-QLUY

Very grunge-y and tacky suits. It's nice to not see anyone walking and texting. A rather simpler time.

Also, lol at the pervert caught on tape.

Subject: Re: HD video of New York in 1993

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 9:12 pm

What time is the pervert at?

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 9:18 pm

What time is the pervert at?

0:53. C'mon you didn't even watch that far? :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 9:20 pm

I've already seen the 90s in HD through my own eyes. ;) I watched past that part! There's like a billion different people, how am I supposed to see the pervert?

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 9:22 pm

I've already seen the 90s in HD through my own eyes. ;) I watched past that part! There's like a billion different people, how am I supposed to see the pervert?

Hmm it's closer to 0:56 I guess. It's the dude with the manbun checks out the girl with the lipstick.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 9:26 pm

Hmm it's closer to 0:56 I guess. It's the dude with the manbun checks out the girl with the lipstick.

That doesn't look like a manbun! You're ruining the 90s! >:(

Also, she's hot so I don't see a problem here. When I was a teenager I was never that smooth so every time I tried pulling off a peak, the girls would always somehow notice! Like some "Anti-Jordan sense" or something! I'd get the stink eye constantly... :\'(

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 9:37 pm

That doesn't look like a manbun! You're ruining the 90s! >:(

Also, she's hot so I don't see a problem here. When I was a teenager I was never that smooth so every time I tried pulling off a peak, the girls would always somehow notice! Like some "Anti-Jordan sense" or something! I'd get the stink eye constantly... :\'(

No problem? He could've been a potential rapist!  So could you.

I'm glad I don't have this problem LOL. I'm not sure if any dude assumes I'm checking them out. All I have to do if I stare too long is to make a thinking/confused face, to make it look like I was lost in thought. Smooth.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/16 at 9:40 pm

I'm just distracted by the hokey blues-funk song the entire time!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 9:46 pm

No problem? He could've been a potential rapist!  So could you.

I'm glad I don't have this problem LOL. I'm not sure if any dude assumes I'm checking them out. All I have to do if I stare too long is to make a thinking/confused face, to make it look like I was lost in thought. Smooth.

Nah. He looks like some cool dude jus' hangin' around. Me? I'm too nice and caring to do such horrid acts! >:(

I could of done that but I would of been scared of them still thinking I was checking them out otherwise. It was worse in school because you'd hear a "ewww totally like grody to da maxx" from the girl. If she had a football playing boyfriend, he'd laugh and then put his hands all over the girl (to taunt you) or threaten you or something but I dunno why they never understood that I did not care about them or how they felt, I just wanted a peak at their girlfriend. My younger years, those were the days. ::) I think I embarrassed myself in front of girls back then more than anything.

Wait... There was music playing throughout the video!? I didn't notice.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 9:47 pm

You could make any crowd look good if you make them walk slow motion and out that song on.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 10:01 pm

Nah. He looks like some cool dude jus' hangin' around. Me? I'm too nice and caring to do such horrid acts! >:(

I could of done that but I would of been scared of them still thinking I was checking them out otherwise. It was worse in school because you'd hear a "ewww totally like grody to da maxx" from the girl. If she had a football playing boyfriend, he'd laugh and then put his hands all over the girl (to taunt you) or threaten you or something but I dunno why they never understood that I did not care about them or how they felt, I just wanted a peak at their girlfriend. My younger years, those were the days. ::) I think I embarrassed myself in front of girls back then more than anything.

The girls at your school talked like Valley Girls? Oh my god, California...

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 10:06 pm

The girls at your school talked like Valley Girls? Oh my god, California...

Yeah, some of the really preppy girls did. It wasn't too much of a common thing because I live in Norcal and valley girls are more of a Socal LA thing but some of them had that ditzy airhead demeanor.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/25/16 at 10:23 pm

WOAH!!! This time machine was so DOPE! Highest quality video based off the 90's I've ever seen my whole life! Feels so damn real and modern even though it's from 23 years ago! Best post thread of the month credit goes to Slowpoke!

Written By: mqg96 on 04/25/16 at 10:28 pm

Seeing the World Trade Center (twin towers) in that quality had a very weird feeling to me.  :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/25/16 at 10:29 pm

That was a really cool video. It's weird to see pre-Giuliani NYC look so crisp and clear. My view of early '90s New York is always dark, gritty, bleak and crime-infested. I guess I watched this movie too much back in the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv3Wm6iI44E

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/25/16 at 10:31 pm

This looks pretty sweet! Of course I would have loved to experience 1993 firsthand. But hey, that's the luck of the draw, I guess.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/16 at 10:41 pm

I'll be fully honest though, I'm not that impressed by the picture of this video. It still looks pretty dated. The hues are sort of whitewashed and the resolution isn't exactly as crisp as what you typically see today. I find the quality here no better than the Blu-Ray remasters of movies from around the same time, earlier even.

Maybe I'd be more blown away if there was more of a focus on sound and not just overdubbed music?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 10:48 pm

I'll be fully honest though, I'm not that impressed by the picture of this video. It still looks pretty dated. The hues are sort of whitewashed and the resolution isn't exactly as crisp as what you typically see today. I find the quality here no better than the Blu-Ray remasters of movies from around the same time, earlier even.

There's a figure skating video from 1994 that was broadcast in HD that's a lot clearer than this. It used to be on YouTube but the uploader was terminated and I can't find another copy of the video. It's really cool to see! If I find it, I'll put it on here.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/25/16 at 10:48 pm

If you don't look at the subtle differences, a person might think it's modern. It's not like they're riding horse carriages and churning butter! There are differences obviously. Some of the hair styles are very of its time. Yeah, not many people had cell phones, and if they did, the cell phones were huge! This is also like a year, or two, before the internet exploded everywhere! You can also obviously see some of the 'funkiness' of the early 90's still in play!

Nice video, Slowpoke. Karma point.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/25/16 at 10:57 pm

Yeah, I also agree with people. There are videos of New York from the 1990's, where the quality is so good, it looks really modern!
You can make anything look old if you make a video look grainy.  :P

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/16 at 10:58 pm

If you don't look at the subtle differences, a person might think it's modern. It's not like they're riding horse carriages and churning butter! There are differences obviously. Some of the hair styles are very of its time. Yeah, not many people had cell phones, and if they did, the cell phones were huge! This is also like a year, or two, before the internet exploded everywhere! You can also obviously see some of the 'funkiness' of the early 90's still in play!

I guess the problem for me personally is that I have cinematic memories as early as 1995, only two years after this video was taken. If you're just a few years younger than me, then I can understand somewhat the appeal of it. To be fair, it looks worst at the beginning, during the businessperson crowd scenes (the sun appears very bright and ruins the color), but towards the end, especially around the closeup of the blonde woman in work attire as well as the jester, it's much better, if still not up to present day HD standards.

Personally, I'm more blown away by color photographs that are from over a century ago. The difference between the start of the 20th century versus the end is astronomical, so to actually have a direct sense of what it felt like to live that long ago, back when most records were black & white, is totally surreal!

Here's an article that features some color photographs from the 1900s and 1910s, taken in what would soon become the USSR.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/25/16 at 11:00 pm

I guess the problem for me personally is that I have cinematic memories as early as 1995, only two years after this video was taken. If you're just a few years younger than me, then I can understand somewhat the appeal of it. To be fair, it looks worst at the beginning, during the businessperson crowd scenes (the sun appears very bright and ruins the color), but towards the end, especially around the closeup of the blonde woman in work attire as well as the jester, it's much better, if still not up to present day HD standards.

Personally, I'm more blown away by color photographs that are from over a century ago. The difference between the start of the 20th century versus the end is astronomical, so to actually have a direct sense of what it felt like to live that long ago, back when most records are black & white, is totally surreal!

Here's an article that features some color photographs from the 1900s and 1910s, taken in what would soon become the USSR.

I was born in 1988. Will be 28 in November. You? If you dare to reveal your age, that is.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/25/16 at 11:04 pm

Personally, I'm more blown away by color photographs that are from over a century ago. The difference between the start of the 20th century versus the end is astronomical, so to actually have a direct sense of what it felt like to live that long ago, back when most records were black & white, is totally surreal!

I bet 1992 even, could seem modern if someone did it right. With the best technology there is out there, the right camera, and even photography, if they're a photographer.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/16 at 11:05 pm

I was born in 1988. Will be 28 in November. You? If you dare to reveal your age, that is.  8)

I've given pretty obvious hints of it before. To state it a little more explicitly, I am the exact same age as this album:

http://www.music-bazaar.com/album-images/vol12/574/574467/2416352-big/Patty-Smyth-cover.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 04/25/16 at 11:07 pm

I've given pretty obvious hints of it before. To state it a little more explicitly, I am the exact same age as this album:

http://www.music-bazaar.com/album-images/vol12/574/574467/2416352-big/Patty-Smyth-cover.jpg

Okay, so you're younger than me. I see.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/25/16 at 11:09 pm

That would be crazy to make a video of 2016 that looks grainy.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 11:10 pm

WOAH!!! This time machine was so DOPE! Highest quality video based off the 90's I've ever seen my whole life! Feels so damn real and modern even though it's from 23 years ago! Best post thread of the month credit goes to Slowpoke!

Seeing the World Trade Center (twin towers) in that quality had a very weird feeling to me.  :o

Haha thanks!  :D Yeah, the video looks very crisp to me, it makes it come to life! It's hard for me to imagine the 80s without that action movie blur, but this quality makes it feel like I could've been there.

I wish I knew the significance of the World Trade Center when I went to New York in 1999 and the summer of 2001. To me it was just another building, I don't remember making any note of it, so I can't really claim to have seen the towers before they fell.  :\'(

That was a really cool video. It's weird to see pre-Giuliani NYC look so crisp and clear. My view of early '90s New York is always dark, gritty, bleak and crime-infested. I guess I watched this movie too much back in the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv3Wm6iI44E

That's another super interesting video! To me when I think early 90s NYC, I pretty much think Home Alone.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 11:12 pm

I have seen a colourized video of New York in the 1930s when they were still building The Empire State building. I'll try to find it.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 11:12 pm

Yo, homies, I found da vidya. It's not the same as the other one but it's from the same time/event.

5IaP-uj5dck

If you like figure skating, the 90's and HDTV then you'll love this! ;)

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 11:25 pm

Yo, homies, I found da vidya. It's not the same as the other one but it's from the same time/event.

5IaP-uj5dck

That was mesmerizing. I missed the "figure" in the "figure skating" in your earlier post, so I was very confused when I got this video.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 11:30 pm

That was mesmerizing. I missed the "figure" in the "figure skating" in your earlier post, so I was very confused when I got this video.

Hahaha! I wish there was some cool 1994 Skateboarding videos on the net but I haven't found any. :-\\ The other video was much better because it had a lot of shots of the crowd and their ugly sweaters but this is the best I could find.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 11:37 pm

I have seen a colourized video of New York in the 1930s when they were still building The Empire State building. I'll try to find it.

Looks it got deleted  :(

I found this other video of New York World Fair in 1939 in colour.

8W_EzE6h4lE

I wish I could find the original video I was talking about. It was filmed on the streets and even went inside a few homes.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 11:43 pm

Here's a video of 1999 in New York:

xFqmzqIn2_Y

It's still kinda cool but it's not as special because... well... It's 1999. Not as old as 1993.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/16 at 11:46 pm

5IaP-uj5dck

As much as I wish there were more closeup shots, like 3:11 to 3:26, that is still a pretty cool video, even though the Japanese announcer's overdub is of terrible fidelity!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 11:51 pm

As much as I wish there were more closeup shots, like 3:11 to 3:26, that is still a pretty cool video, even though the Japanese announcer's overdub is of terrible fidelity!

I really wanted to put up the other video because it was about 40 minutes long and had a lot of close up shots of the performers and audience but, unfortunately, it's been taken off of YouTube and nobody has reuploaded it. :-\\ I'm still looking, though! Hopefully there's a reupload, cache or achieve somewhere with the original. And oh yeah, the Japanese overdub is hilariously bad! ;D 

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 11:57 pm

Here's a video of 1999 in New York:

xFqmzqIn2_Y

It's still kinda cool but it's not as special because... well... It's 1999. Not as old as 1993.

I went to New York in 1999 myself! Don't need no stinkin' video :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/16 at 12:01 am

I went to New York in 1999 myself! Don't need no stinkin' video :P

I went to New York in like... 1997, I think? I don't remember. It was alright. I don't need to stinkin' vidya myself. Besides, it's 1999!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 6:23 am

Slammin' and all that!

fT4lDU-QLUY

Very grunge-y and tacky suits. It's nice to not see anyone walking and texting. A rather simpler time.

Those were the days!

We were in NYC back in 2013, and with that experience I can appreciate it more.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 6:25 am

We all did!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 6:26 am

I thought it was him!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 6:27 am

Wait... There was music playing throughout the video!? I didn't notice.
I viewed with no sound...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 6:43 am

I never got to see the WTC standing, but have been to Groundzero.  :\'(

Written By: mqg96 on 04/26/16 at 8:36 am

I never got to see the WTC standing, but have been to Groundzero.  :\'(

Same here, I didn't get to visit New York until Summer 2011, but the wait still payed off though!

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/26/16 at 9:14 am

Note that this is in DVHS and not HD, which is basically just the most advanced form of a videotape recording. Yes, HD was around in 1993, mostly in Japan and in some other places for experimental purposes, but the video still gives a quick glimpse of Fall 1993 NYC. Note some crossing signs that say WALK instead of a pedestrian (many cities around the world already had them, but NYC didn't drop them until 2003). Lots of 1980s/early '90s Lincoln Town Cars. At 1:28, you can also see an ad for a cigarette (those were outlawed in 2000). Then of course, Times Square still had predominately electric signs as opposed to video screens like you see these days.  But other shots such as a walk across Central Park or crossing the Brooklyn Bridge remain timeless if you don't mind the texters.

Comparing 1993 to 1999, you'll see some very subtle differences in terms of being a bit more "polished" and even Times Square doesn't look too terribly different, but it's still the same '90s NYC atmosphere that died with the Twin Towers coming down. Sure, a few more people that weren't seen by this time carried around a cellphone, but most people still carried a newspaper/magazine at the time.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/16 at 2:36 pm

Slammin' and all that!

fT4lDU-QLUY

Wow not one person texted, amazing!  :o

Written By: Howard on 04/26/16 at 2:37 pm

back when it was all there.  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/16 at 2:38 pm

Wow not one person texted, amazing!  :o

Texting was a lot harder to do in 1993. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 2:39 pm

You had to wait for 1997 for that.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/16 at 2:41 pm

I was born in 1974, just turned 42 in March, I would love to see what the world looked like in the early 80's.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 2:41 pm

I was born in 1974, just turned 42 in March, I would love to see what the world looked like in the early 80's.  :)
Watch feature films that were released at that time.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/16 at 2:42 pm

You had to wait for 1997 for that.

Yes! Get one of these:

http://pre13.deviantart.net/341e/th/pre/f/2013/363/3/a/nokia_3110_from_1997_by_redfield_1982-d6zyg3r.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 2:42 pm

Yes! Get one of these:

http://pre13.deviantart.net/341e/th/pre/f/2013/363/3/a/nokia_3110_from_1997_by_redfield_1982-d6zyg3r.jpg
Nokia was the first handset manufacturer whose total GSM phone line in 1993 supported user-sending of SMS text messages. In 1997, it became the first manufacturer to produce a mobile phone with a full keyboard: the Nokia 9000i Communicator.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/16 at 2:43 pm

back then you got to talk to people face to face.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/16 at 2:44 pm

Watch feature films that were released at that time.

There's a video entitled "New York in 1983".

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/16 at 2:44 pm

Nokia was the first handset manufacturer whose total GSM phone line in 1993 supported user-sending of SMS text messages. In 1997, it became the first manufacturer to produce a mobile phone with a full keyboard: the Nokia 9000i Communicator.

Oh yeah, that thing!

Well, on the bright side, at least deer skins were advanced enough in 1993 to give you full protection! :D

Nowadays, all the kids do is sit on their cell phones and text each other. They think it's ok and not listen to "grandpa old folk Jordan" but when the time comes to get laid and they have to use communication they'll be in a hefty load of trouble. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 2:45 pm

...or send a letter by mail.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 2:45 pm

There's a video entitled "New York in 1983".
Have you seen it yet?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/16 at 3:22 pm

Looks pretty good for a 23 year old video. It's like it never aged, since it looks like it was made in the 2010s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/16 at 3:24 pm

Here's another one of figure skating. This one is about 40 minutes long so you can get a good look at everything. It's from 1998 so it's not too special but it's still kinda cool:

VRuwqtFf3u8

There's no audio 'cause of copyright or whatever but at least you can see the crowd and there's more close ups.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/16 at 3:29 pm

Here's another one of figure skating. This one is about 40 minutes long so you can get a good look at everything. It's from 1998 so it's not too special but it's still kinda cool:

VRuwqtFf3u8

There's no audio 'cause of copyright or whatever but at least you can see the crowd and there's more close ups.

It looks like it was actually recorded from the 90s, but at least it's not VHS quality.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/16 at 3:31 pm

It looks like it was actually recorded from the 90s, but at least it's not VHS quality.

It's looks pretty clear to me! Now if only I could find more than just figure skating, now that would be great.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/16 at 4:07 pm

...or send a letter by mail.

the good old days.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/16 at 4:07 pm

Have you seen it yet?

not yet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/16 at 4:12 pm

not yet.
Gone on give it a go.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/16 at 2:30 pm

Gone on give it a go.

I watched it this morning and boy was it a different time to be around in New York.  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...