inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Talk Shows

Written By: Starlighter on 04/28/16 at 1:20 am

Remember how popular talk shows were in the 90's?  One of the local stations in Los Angeles would air talk shows all day.  Even actors and actresses at the time started their own talks shows, though some were very short lived.  Back then they would have "regular" people discussing a given topic, but not in an overly dramatic way (even Jerry Springer was "normal" back then).  The talk shows of today follow a celebrity interview format or some type of scandal.  But in the 90's you could tune in and watch "everyday" folk talk about different things.

Here are some:

Sally Jesse Raphael
Geraldo Rivera
Phil Donahue
Jerry Springer
Maury Povich (spelling?)
Ricky Lake
Richard Bey
Jenny Jones
Marilu Henner
Gabrielle Carteris
Oprah Winfrey

Subject: Re: Talk Shows

Written By: 2001 on 04/28/16 at 12:10 pm

I didn't watch any till the 2000s. My favourites were Oprah, Tyra Banks, The Rachel Show and....

Dr. Phil.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/16 at 3:42 pm

Remember how popular talk shows were in the 90's?  One of the local stations in Los Angeles would air talk shows all day.  Even actors and actresses at the time started their own talks shows, though some were very short lived.  Back then they would have "regular" people discussing a given topic, but not in an overly dramatic way (even Jerry Springer was "normal" back then).  The talk shows of today follow a celebrity interview format or some type of scandal.  But in the 90's you could tune in and watch "everyday" folk talk about different things.

Here are some:

Sally Jesse Raphael
Geraldo Rivera
Phil Donahue
Jerry Springer
Maury Povich (spelling?)
Ricky Lake
Richard Bey
Jenny Jones
Marilu Henner
Gabrielle Carteris
Oprah Winfrey

I used to come home and watch those talk shows all the time.

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/16 at 8:25 pm

I remember all those shows except for Richard Bey.  Why don't I remember this one ???

Tempest Bledsoe also had a daytime talk show, as did Vicki Lawrence, Tony Danza and Howie Mandel.  I watched them all!

I still remember when Howie Mandel told Britney Spears on his talk show that her debut single 'Baby One More Time' had just reached #1 on Billboard.  I don't know why I remember that lol

Written By: 2001 on 04/28/16 at 8:45 pm

Jerry and Maury still exist, to everyone's misfortune  ;D

Written By: Starlighter on 04/29/16 at 1:26 am

I used to come home and watch those talk shows all the time.

Me too.

I remember all those shows except for Richard Bey.  Why don't I remember this one ???

Tempest Bledsoe also had a daytime talk show, as did Vicki Lawrence, Tony Danza and Howie Mandel.  I watched them all!

I still remember when Howie Mandel told Britney Spears on his talk show that her debut single 'Baby One More Time' had just reached #1 on Billboard.  I don't know why I remember that lol

Richard Bey was a little more sensationalized than the others if I remember correctly.

I had forgotten about those until you mentioned them.  Britney Spears must have been so excited to hear that  :)  Wow that brings back memories.

Oh yeah, Rosie O'Donnell had one and so did Montell Willams. 

They weren't always like that.  They started off as regular talk shows, but now, yikes.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/16 at 7:11 am

and the demographic still watch trash TV, I do once in a while.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/30/16 at 7:28 am

This has nothing to do with the 90's, but did any of y'all used to watch "The Colbert Report" from Comedy Central?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/30/16 at 10:39 am

This has nothing to do with the 90's, but did any of y'all used to watch "The Colbert Report" from Comedy Central?

Yeah, I remember watching some episodes of The Colbert Report before it ended in late 2014.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/16 at 5:44 pm

Who here remembers The Morton Downey Jr.Show?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/07/The_Morton_Downey,_Jr._Show.jpg

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/08/16 at 10:12 am

Here are some:

Sally Jesse Raphael
Geraldo Rivera
Phil Donahue
Jerry Springer
Maury Povich (spelling?)
Ricky Lake
Richard Bey
Jenny Jones
Marilu Henner
Gabrielle Carteris
Oprah Winfrey

In the early '90s yes, but after '93 the bleepfest and trash talk was certainly there. I'd say once Phil Donahue's show ended in 1996, the era of clean talk shows had ended and trash talk had arrived. Talk shows remain as popular as ever on the major networks daytime schedule, but don't get nearly as much viewership due to the higher diversity in choice. I also found it funny how you could order "transcripts" despite the ability to record these onto VHS.

Here are some others, mainly from the first half of the decade:

The Bertice Berry Show
Faith Daniels
Jane Whitney
Rolonda
Home (more of a lifestyle-type show that was on in the early '90s and hosts included Robb Weller and Sandy Hill
Howard Stern
Joan Rivers (not her ill-fated late night attempt on FOX in the '80s)
Live with Regis Philbin & Kathie Lee Gifford
Leeza (Gibbons)
Gordon Elliott

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 05/17/16 at 12:41 am

Here are some:

Sally Jesse Raphael
Geraldo Rivera
Phil Donahue
Jerry Springer
Maury Povich (spelling?)
Ricky Lake
Richard Bey
Jenny Jones
Marilu Henner
Gabrielle Carteris
Oprah Winfrey

Ahhem... Arsenio Hall, and Rosie O'Donald shows...

Check for new replies or respond here...