inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s Marvel vs Capcom fighters!(Pre Marvel vs Capcom 1)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/10/16 at 3:11 am

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/X-Men_COTA_Sega_Saturn_JP.jpg http://www.gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade/Title/big/Marvel_Super_Heroes_-_1995_-_Capcom.jpg
http://www.theoldcomputer.com/game-box-art-covers/Sega/Saturn/X/X-Men%20vs%20Street%20Fighter%20(J)/X-Men%20VS%20Street%20Fighter%20(J)%20Front%201.jpg
http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/0/0/4/5004_front.jpg

I have a question did you guys play any of these growing up?! :o Cause these games are BADASS, have great replay ability and have great soundtracks too!! Sadly they rarely get enough credit, due to PISS POOR PS1 ports, N64's lack of third party and the Saturn flopping in North America. :\'( Almost all of the games are kinda forgotten also cause they came before the MVC, Tekken, Soulcalibur,DOA craze, and after the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter craze.

Subject: Re: 90s Marvel vs Capcom fighters!(Pre Marvel vs Capcom 1)

Written By: mqg96 on 05/10/16 at 7:42 am

pre-Smash Bros. lol!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/10/16 at 5:18 pm

Wow, NOBODY is commentating on this thread! :o :o :o Come on y'all :\'(

Written By: 2001 on 05/10/16 at 6:27 pm

No one has played these games, which I'm sure you knew :P

Are you learning Japanese? That is all I can surmise from you giving the SEGA Saturn the time of day.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/10/16 at 6:36 pm

No one has played these games, which I'm sure you knew :P

Are you learning Japanese? That is all I can surmise from you giving the SEGA Saturn the time of day.

Yeah, nobody likes the Saturn. I remember when I was a kid, if you were caught dead with a Saturn, we'd make fun of you for having poor taste in systems. These games slipped through the cracks because of being on the Sega Turd.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 7:02 pm

:( Yeah, as somebody who wasn't even born when these games were out, I obviously have no experience with them. I'm pretty sure you're the same, since you were born in late 1995. I mean it's not like early-mid 2000s American kids played the Saturn, especially Japanese-exclusive games for the console. I'm only into the Genesis, because that's the only good console that Sega made. It's not like the Master System, Saturn, or even the Dreamcast actually benefited me, since they're all trashy consoles. So yeah.

Written By: Toon on 05/10/16 at 7:12 pm

Liked Marvel vs Capcom 1, but was more of a fan of MvC2 in 2000.

Written By: Toon on 05/10/16 at 7:16 pm

:( Yeah, as somebody who wasn't even born when these games were out, I obviously have no experience with them. I'm pretty sure you're the same, since you were born in late 1995. I mean it's not like early-mid 2000s American kids played the Saturn, especially Japanese-exclusive games for the console. I'm only into the Genesis, because that's the only good console that Sega made. It's not like the Master System, Saturn, or even the Dreamcast actually benefited me, since they're all trashy consoles. So yeah.

These games weren't JP exclusive Saturn games. They were all on the PS1 as well. And the PS1 didn't go away until the mid 2000s. Add that to the fact that PS2 could play Ps1 games. And it was pretty common to see people playing PS1 games on the PS2 back then. Didn't play Final Fantasy 7 when it came out in 1997? No big deal as the Ps1 wasn't going away until 2005 and the PS2 was also able to play the game as well. Could even go into the stores and buy Ps1 games back in the early-mid 2000s. And most people from 1995 ended up growing up with PS1 consoles.

As for Sega I thought the Dreamcast was their best console. Thought it has the better games, but to each his own.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 7:29 pm

These games weren't JP exclusive Saturn games. They were all on the PS1 as well. And the PS1 didn't go away until the mid 2000s. Add that to the fact that PS2 could play Ps1 games. And it was pretty common to see people playing PS1 games on the PS2 back then. Didn't play Final Fantasy 7 when it came out in 1997? No big deal as the Ps1 wasn't going away until 2005 and the PS2 was also able to play the game as well. Could even go into the stores and buy Ps1 games back in the early-mid 2000s. And most people from 1995 ended up growing up with PS1 consoles.

As a person who BARELY experienced playing video games, as well as playing them late in their childhood (2008), I have no comment. I mean, it's not like I actually cared about seeing people playing Marvel vs. Capcom on their PS1s or PS2s, while it didn't spark any interest on me.

As for Sega I thought the Dreamcast was their best console. Thought it has the better games, but to each his own.

Ok...

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/10/16 at 8:09 pm

I like the Genesis and the Dreamcast but everything else Sega made was only meant for the trash heap, especially the Sega Turd. It's the worst major console ever released in the last 25 years.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 8:10 pm

I like the Genesis and the Dreamcast but everything else Sega made was only meant for the trash heap, especially the Sega Turd. It's the worst major console ever released in the last 25 years.

Yeah. Sega was only good when the Genesis was around, and the Dreamcast only had a few good games (Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 for example).

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/10/16 at 8:13 pm

Yeah. Sega was only good when the Genesis was around, and the Dreamcast only had a few good games (Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 for example).

It had some good games like Jet Set Radio and Soul Caliber but it's clear to see why it lost to the PS2, a much mightier system.

The Saturn, however, is one of the worst systems of all time. How could a major gaming company f*ck up so badly? Why, Sega!?

Written By: Toon on 05/10/16 at 8:21 pm

It had some good games like Jet Set Radio and Soul Caliber but it's clear to see why it lost to the PS2, a much mightier system.

The Saturn, however, is one of the worst systems of all time. How could a major gaming company f*ck up so badly? Why, Sega!?

It's what happens when they let racism/pride overcome the need for success. I could go more into this, but I'm not sure if anyone would want me to. This is a discussion on Marvel vs Capcom after all.

As for pre-MvC1 I did enjoy Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter. One of my favorite games (before MvC came over and took the spotlight).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 9:28 pm

Because Sega made the Saturn extremely overhyped, that they discontinued the Genesis. They thought the Saturn would do better. Boy, were they wrong?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/10/16 at 9:36 pm

Because Sega made the Saturn extremely overhyped, that they discontinued the Genesis. They thought the Saturn would do better. Boy, were they wrong?

Yeah, that was super lame of them. Hey, let's take this good system and replace it with a steaming pile of turds! Oh yes, Sega, they are such a good gaming company. ::)

It's what happens when they let racism/pride overcome the need for success. I could go more into this, but I'm not sure if anyone would want me to. This is a discussion on Marvel vs Capcom after all.

As for pre-MvC1 I did enjoy Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter. One of my favorite games (before MvC came over and took the spotlight).

Sega hates America and when you hate America you lose. >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 9:45 pm

Yeah, that was super lame of them. Hey, let's take this good system and replace it with a steaming pile of turds! Oh yes, Sega, they are such a good gaming company. ::)

lol. It's sad to be a Sega fan after 1996. Everyone known that their company was going downhill in the late 90s. Few years after that, Sega was already making third-party games for their rivals. Especially Nintendo. They're even more of a laughingstock after they released Sonic '06.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/10/16 at 9:46 pm

lol. It's sad to be a Sega fan after 1996. Everyone known that their company was going downhill in the late 90s. Few years after that, Sega was already making third-party games for their rivals. Especially Nintendo. They're even more of a laughingstock after they released Sonic '06.

That's right. Like I said before, when I was a kid, people would make fun of whatever dweeb got stuck with a Sega Saturn because even back then it was known as one of the worst things ever. It's reputation over time has just gotten more and more sour. I've never met one person who actually likes the Saturn. Sonic '06 seems like a really bad game. I've never played it but I heard that Sonic falls in love with a human princess or whatever. The hell is up with that!?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/10/16 at 11:17 pm

Good grief I wanted peoples thoughts on the games, but now yall are talking sheesh about the saturn and SEGA in general. ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/10/16 at 11:25 pm

Here's gameplay!
BFMFaPBk7KY GnJAHusOniYz-rG6RVLeMwRBjYTnKZFP8

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/10/16 at 11:27 pm

X-MEN vs Street Fighter Soundtrack FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I45C6jwfqDU

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/11/16 at 2:44 am

More people would know about these games if they were on the PS1 or N64 (proper ports), guaranteed. Nobody in the history of ever wants to put up with the Saturn, especially those who grew up during that time. It doesn't even have games. They're more like a full on assault of terribly rendered pixels and the remains of a coked out party at Sega HQ f*cking up your television. You're better off playing Marvel Vs. Capcom on an emulator and spare yourself the Saturn. I have a theory on why the Saturn exists. I believe it's soul purpose is to be the main trial when you get to the 5th circle of hell. There is no other reason for the system to exist otherwise.

Sega, America's Favorite Toilet Manufacturer!

http://ericmhunter.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2012/10/sega-battleship.png

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/1/9/3/130193.jpg?v=1

Even this... thing agrees:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/77/77db357b9bb81f5f7cd6bf698229278928824a0dd5a397beaefb082f99165315.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...