inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How was 80s media viewed in the 90s?

Written By: Zelek2 on 05/27/16 at 5:12 pm

I'm curious: how did people react when 80s media was consumed in the 90s? I know there was an 80s backlash at the time, but was it a backlash against EVERYTHING 80s, or just the music and fashion?

Like, let's say someone was watching Back to the Future, Pretty in Pink, or The Empire Strikes Back on tv in 1995 - a year that was the core of "90s"-ness, with no 80s influence to speak of . What would people say? "Eww, why are you watching lame 80s movies?" or "Those movies are clearly 80s, but they're still great movies"? ;D

Or let's say they brought back a famous 80s commercial or TV show in 1995 for the 10th anniversary. Would there have been some Gen Xers saying "Man, that's nostalgic", or would they have said "That's the recent past, not nostalgic yet"?

Subject: Re: How was 80s media viewed in the 90s?

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/16 at 8:57 pm

Not 1995, but I used to watch 80s movies on VHS with my uncle in the late 1990s. Robocop, E.T., Back To The Future, Aliens etc. and I thought nothing of it. They were cool movies to me :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/27/16 at 9:52 pm

The 80s were just recent in the 90s. Just like of how most people see the 2000s as recent in the 2010s.

Written By: Starlighter on 06/05/16 at 2:06 pm

For the most part I don't remember there being any backlash against 80's media.  80's movies would often air on t.v. and people would still rent them.  I remember it being a backlash against the music and fashion.

Check for new replies or respond here...