inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 90s were a fantastic decade for black folks

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/15/16 at 10:13 pm

I have been meaning to write this, but yeah I honestly feel that this decade was amazing for us black people. Despite the awful events that occurred, there was a lot out there for black folks ranging from TV shows, movies, music etc.. I mean, look at how many AA shows were in the top 20. That's gotta say something. Now, on to the movies, there were a lot of them and some of them didn't have to deal with the ghetto and they appealed to a variety of audiences, not just AA folk. I'm also glad it branched out in many genres giving us some comedy, action and even romance. Last, the music. You guys must know that the majority of AA music was down right wonderful. There was diversity within hip-hop such as party rap to talking about the truth within the black community. As for R&B, there was slow & smooth, uptempo, and a mixture of jazz, funk, and new jack swing fused within. It doesn't get any better than that.

So, how do you guys feel about this?

Subject: Re: The 90s were a fantastic decade for black folks

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/16/16 at 12:53 am

Markese my brotha... yes it was!!! :D
The core 90s and core 2000s were the peak of the African American culture. 90s East coast Hip hop,west coast gangsta rap,and R&B music. 2000s crank and snap rap, R&B. Shows like Fresh Prince, Martin, Wayans Bros, Jamie Foxx Show, In Living Color, Sister Sister, Moesha. Series such as All Of Us, Girlfriends, One on One, My Wife and Kids, The Parkers, and Steve Harvey Show. Even kid shows like Keenan and Kel, Cousin Skeeter, Just Jordan, Romeo, etc. Hell, even All That had a hip hop sounding theme song :D 8)  The black culture was just everywhere during that time. I miss when pop culture was like that. Diverse for everybody.... It's the complete opposite now! >:( >:( >:( 

I also forgot to mention athletes like Michael Jordan, Shaq, Charles Barkely, Michael Irvin, Dieon Sanders, Emmit Smith, Randy Moss, Kobe Bryant, Ken Griffey Jr. Barry Sanders, Barry Bonds etc. :)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/16/16 at 2:08 pm

Markese my brotha... yes it was!!! :D
The core 90s and core 2000s were the peak of the African American culture. 90s East coast Hip hop,west coast gangsta rap,and R&B music. 2000s crank and snap rap, R&B. Shows like Fresh Prince, Martin, Wayans Bros, Jamie Foxx Show, In Living Color, Sister Sister, Moesha. Series such as All Of Us, Girlfriends, One on One, My Wife and Kids, The Parkers, and Steve Harvey Show. Even kid shows like Keenan and Kel, Cousin Skeeter, Just Jordan, Romeo, etc. Hell, even All That had a hip hop sounding theme song :D 8)  The black culture was just everywhere during that time. I miss when pop culture was like that. Diverse for everybody.... It's the complete opposite now! >:( >:( >:( 

I also forgot to mention athletes like Michael Jordan, Shaq, Charles Barkely, Michael Irvin, Dieon Sanders, Emmit Smith, Randy Moss, Kobe Bryant, Ken Griffey Jr. Barry Sanders, Barry Bonds etc. :)
I agree with everything. :D Yeah, I feel you. I don't see much black pop culture today aside from the few movies and TV shows targeted towards us. I hope it does return in the next decade to where it appeals to everyone. That would be much better.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/16/16 at 2:14 pm

1996 was the best year for the 90s, especially for R&B.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/16/16 at 2:21 pm

1996 was the best year for the 90s, especially for R&B.
Yeah man. There were so many R&B songs to listen to that year! It's remarkable :D

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/16/16 at 9:50 pm

There was New Jack Swing which was great music created by mainly blacks. And I love New Jack Swing. 1990s was a decent decade. In fact I'd argue that it was the first decade where things started to get really good for blacks. Although one could say that things were decent by the 1970s or 1980s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/16/16 at 10:02 pm

There was New Jack Swing which was great music created by mainly blacks. And I love New Jack Swing. 1990s was a decent decade. In fact I'd argue that it was the first decade where things started to get really good for blacks. Although one could say that things were decent by the 1970s or 1980s.

It was kinda decent for blacks in the 70s and 80s. Especially when they had their own sub cultures during those decades.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/19/16 at 11:54 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but when we finally got a black president; it seems like things went backwards for us blacks...
When Clinton and Bush were in office; the black culture was at an ALL TIME HIGH! :D 

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/16 at 12:50 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but when we finally got a black president; it seems like things went backwards for us blacks...
When Clinton and Bush were in office; the black culture was at an ALL TIME HIGH! :D
Yeah, that's very weird. I thought that black culture was going to get much bigger, but that didn't turn out to be the case. You sometimes wonder why there isn't many black movies, TV shows, music like the past 2 decades?

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/20/16 at 12:14 pm

Just now seeing this. I always did see the 90s as a African American exclusive decade. I thought I was the only one that noticed.

I don't even consider Obama black. Just 50%/50%. I wish he was more brown.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/16 at 12:22 pm

Just now seeing this. I always did see the 90s as a African American exclusive decade. I thought I was the only one that noticed.

I thought the early-mid 90s were more African-American. Sure, there was grunge, and other types of stuff, but gangsta rap was what made it look that way. BTW, Obama kinda considers himself black for some reason, although he is a biracial.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/16 at 1:20 pm

Nope. I noticed it too. But yeah, it's amazing how there was so much black culture back in the 90s, but today there isn't in the mainstream.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/16 at 1:35 pm

Nope. I noticed it too. But yeah, it's amazing how there was so much black culture back in the 90s, but today there isn't in the mainstream.

Then what about the hip-hop that's been very popular on social media? What about Drake? Rihanna? Nicki Minaj? Bruno Mars? I've heard it a lot about them on Twitter, YouTube, and even the radio.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/16 at 2:14 pm

Then what about the hip-hop that's been very popular on social media? What about Drake? Rihanna? Nicki Minaj? Bruno Mars? I've heard it a lot about them on Twitter, YouTube, and even the radio.
They are mainstream, but what I meant is that black culture is not truly huge like before. Other than music, how many AA movies and TV shows have been developed that are very popular with everyone and not just black folks?

Written By: mqg96 on 08/20/16 at 2:17 pm

I know right!? I find that strange!  :o

Looked at all of the stuff you mentioned, and YES! The black culture of the core 2000's was amazing indeed including all of celebrities and TV shows. I also find a lot of the hip-hop and R&B songs from the early & mid 2000's to be cool too. Eons better than the teenybopper culture from the early 2000's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/16 at 2:18 pm

They are mainstream, but what I meant is that black culture is not truly huge like before. Other than music, how many AA movies and TV shows have been developed that are very popular with everyone and not just black folks?

The hell if I know. I barely watch television nowadays. I know for the 90s and 2000s, that they show a lot of television with African-American characters, and people seem to like them, regardless of race.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/16 at 2:46 pm

The hell if I know. I barely watch television nowadays. I know for the 90s and 2000s, that they show a lot of television with African-American characters, and people seem to like them, regardless of race.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Today, you don't see that at all.

I know right!? I find that strange!  :o

Looked at all of the stuff you mentioned, and YES! The black culture of the core 2000's was amazing indeed including all of celebrities and TV shows. I also find a lot of the hip-hop and R&B songs from the early & mid 2000's to be cool too. Eons better than the teenybopper culture from the early 2000's.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That means even Rock and Techno (and maybe everything else) was better than the teenybopper stuff as well.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/16 at 3:53 pm

Yeah, that's what I mean. Today, you don't see that at all.

Well barely. You could see some TV shows that star black people as their main characters. But that would mostly come from BET or something like that.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/20/16 at 4:00 pm

Shows like Nick's All That, That's So Raven, Everybody Hates Chris, Jett Jackson immediately come to mind.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/16 at 4:02 pm

Shows like Nick's All That, That's So Raven, Everybody Hates Chris, Jett Jackson immediately come to mind.

Well yeah. They were some of the most popular shows during the 90s/2000s. Although That's So Raven and Everybody Hates Chris weren't around until the early-mid 2000s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/20/16 at 4:05 pm

Well yeah. They were some of the most popular shows during the 90s/2000s. Although That's So Raven and Everybody Hates Chris weren't around until the early-mid 2000s.

That's So Raven came out in the end of 2003 and is more of a mid 2000s show. As for Everybody Hates Chris that's more of a mid-late 2000s show due to being made in 2005 and ending in 2009.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/16 at 4:08 pm

That's So Raven came out in the end of 2003 and is more of a mid 2000s show. As for Everybody Hates Christ that's more of a mid-late 2000s show due to being made in 2005 and ending in 2009.

Well, both of them are mid 2000s shows. Despite having Everybody Hates Chris airing new episodes until 2009.

Also, I laughed so hard when you typed in "Everybody Hates Christ".  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/20/16 at 4:13 pm

Well, both of them are mid 2000s shows. Despite having Everybody Hates Chris airing new episodes until 2009.

Pretty much. But now that I think about it there aren't that many shows I know that have a cast of mainly blacks. Not saying whites are bad, but some diversity (and not in the token sense) is always nice.

I did?!?!  :o Freakin' typos!  >:( Hang on I gotta fix that.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/16 at 4:15 pm

Pretty much. But now that I think about it there aren't that many shows I know that have a cast of mainly blacks. Not saying whites are bad, but some diversity (and not in the token sense) is always nice.

Yeah. I do believe so myself. Although, I think the diversity comes more towards movies.

I did?!?!  :o Freakin' typos!  >:( Hang on I gotta fix that.

It's still funny, nonetheless.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/20/16 at 4:28 pm

I thought the early-mid 90s were more African-American. Sure, there was grunge, and other types of stuff, but gangsta rap was what made it look that way. BTW, Obama kinda considers himself black for some reason, although he is a biracial.

I can agree with this. African American culture really did peak from the mid 90s. But I'm going to say Drake, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and Bruno Mars are no where near African American culture. Its not that simple. Their pop and parodies of black culture if anything.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/16 at 4:31 pm

I can agree with this. African American culture really did peak from the mid 90s. But I'm going to say Drake, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and Bruno Mars are no where near African American culture. Its not that simple. Their pop and parodies of black culture if anything.

Well, maybe they're just part of modern black culture.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/16 at 5:09 pm

Well barely. You could see some TV shows that star black people as their main characters. But that would mostly come from BET or something like that.
Yep. Like I said, most non-AA folks don't know most of the black TV shows or movies that's on today. If I asked someone about if he or she knows a movie like Think like a Man, the person wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

Everybody Hates Christ
Wow! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D That was hilarious.

Well, maybe they're just part of modern black culture.

Yeah, they are, but I think what was SpyroKev was trying to say is that black culture is not as dominant as the mainstream like it was a decade or two ago. I mean there's not much non-trap rap or R&B or even Jazz.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/16 at 5:13 pm

Yep. Like I said, most non-AA folks don't know most of the black TV shows or movies that's on today. If I asked someone about if he or she knows a movie like Think like a Man, the person wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

I think it's because nobody really cares about it, except for black people themselves. Although, my black dad (I'm half black, half white BTW) and myself don't really like a lot of modern AA culture.

Yeah, they are, but I think what was SpyroKev was trying to say is that black culture is not as dominant as the mainstream like it was a decade or two ago. I mean there's not much non-trap rap or R&B or even Jazz.

True. The last time I could recall AA culture being somehow mainstream regardless of race was around the early 2010s, I think.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/16 at 5:26 pm

I think it's because nobody really cares about it, except for black people themselves. Although, my black dad (I'm half black, half white BTW) and myself don't really like a lot of modern AA culture.

True. The last time I could recall AA culture being somehow mainstream regardless of race was around the early 2010s, I think.
Well that's something I understand. Most AA culture today is horrendous 8-P :-[

Yeah, I say so too. If you noticed, there were many AA artists making all types of music and AA celebs starring in some famous films and TV shows.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/16 at 5:47 pm

Now that's a sitcom I wouldn't mind seeing. ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/16 at 7:31 pm

Well that's something I understand. Most AA culture today is horrendous 8-P  :-
Yeah, I say so too. If you noticed, there were many AA artists making all types of music and AA celebs starring in some famous films and TV shows.

Well yeah. But I think they way too much credit for most pop culture. Especially towards the Internet.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/21/16 at 2:48 pm

That's So Raven came out in the end of 2003 and is more of a mid 2000s show. As for Everybody Hates Chris that's more of a mid-late 2000s show due to being made in 2005 and ending in 2009.

That's So Raven came out towards the beginning of 2003 (January), but it's still a mid 2000's show though.

Written By: tv on 08/21/16 at 6:34 pm

Well Kerry Washington for one is pretty popular nowadays. I guess she would fit in your "just barely" category.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/21/16 at 6:45 pm

Well Kerry Washington for one is pretty popular nowadays. I guess she would fit in your "just barely" category.

As someone who doesn't really watch TV that much since 2013, I don't really know a lot about modern TV. The only shows that I would watch are HBO shows like The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Boardwalk Empire, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and Oz. Sometimes, I would watch MLB games, but only if they're interesting to me.

Written By: tv on 08/21/16 at 6:50 pm

Wow! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D That was hilarious.
Didn't Jazz die along with George Benson and Al Jarreau's mainstream music career by 1984? I think Al had a hit with "Moonlighting" in 1987 off the soundtrack for "Moonlighting" but he wasn't popular like he was in 1982-1983 by 1987. "A Called Tribe Called Quest" definately had Jazz infuences in their music and that was in the 90's.

Anyways on a seperate note I actually thought about this a couple months ago and urban music was pretty big from 1987 with Keith Sweat's hit "I Want Her' to Lil Wayne's mid-2008 hit "Lolipop". Than after that urban music took a dive in popularity. Urban music I'm sure will get big again during my lifetime because music goes in cycles.

Written By: tv on 08/21/16 at 6:57 pm

As someone who doesn't really watch TV that much since 2013, I don't really know a lot about modern TV. The only shows that I would watch are HBO shows like The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Boardwalk Empire, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and Oz. Sometimes, I would watch MLB games, but only if they're interesting to me.
Yeah I am not a big TV watcher either and don't watch many shows except for sports or politics. I did like "The Sopranos" though when it was popular.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/21/16 at 7:08 pm

Yeah I am not a big TV watcher either and don't watch many shows except for sports or politics. I did like "The Sopranos" though when it was popular.

Same with me. I do watch some news sometimes. Especially when it's about this year's presidential election.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/22/16 at 1:45 pm

Didn't Jazz die along with George Benson and Al Jarreau's mainstream music career by 1984? I think Al had a hit with "Moonlighting" in 1987 off the soundtrack for "Moonlighting" but he wasn't popular like he was in 1982-1983 by 1987. "A Called Tribe Called Quest" definitely had Jazz influences in their music and that was in the 90's.

Anyways on a separate note I actually thought about this a couple months ago and urban music was pretty big from 1987 with Keith Sweat's hit "I Want Her' to Lil Wayne's mid-2008 hit "Lolipop". Than after that urban music took a dive in popularity. Urban music I'm sure will get big again during my lifetime because music goes in cycles.
Well I think it did mainstream wise, but underground it was still there. It might not have been full jazz, but it was absolutely fused in with other genres.

Oh, I think so too. One day, Urban music will be popular again, but I think it took a step back for now considering it was everywhere and the fact that some folks still can't stand rap even though not all is about "cars, money & h*es".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/16 at 1:53 pm

Oh, I think so too. One day, Urban music will be popular again, but I think it took a step back for now considering it was everywhere and the fact that some folks still can't stand rap even though not all is about "cars, money & h*es".

Well, it's not clear that everyone thinks that way about modern rap. I just think rap nowadays is just full of dumb noises and incoherent lyrics. It doesn't really mean anything to me, and it's weird that it's mainstream towards the general population.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/16 at 2:36 pm

Well I think it did mainstream wise, but underground it was still there. It might not have been full jazz, but it was absolutely fused in with other genres.

and I'm one of them. ::)

Written By: XYkid on 08/23/16 at 10:01 am

Yeah I've always felt like the 90s seemed less racist than today, even though that's probably not true. Honestly, I really can't judge how racist people are to black people, as I am not black myself.
I feel like 9/11 probably fuelled a lot of prejudice in America.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/23/16 at 10:08 am

Yeah I've always felt like the 90s seemed less racist than today, even though that's probably not true. Honestly, I really can't judge how racist people are to black people, as I am not black myself.
I feel like 9/11 probably fueled a lot of prejudice in America.

I may be half-black, but I never really got that much prejudice for some reason. Even though I live in a conservative borough in New York City, it never was the case where somebody called me a racial slur or anything. As for post-9/11 racism, I think it just went towards Muslims.

Written By: aja675 on 08/23/16 at 10:19 am

Does anyone else get the impression that Y2K-era teen culture was pretty whitewashed, unlike that of the core '90s?

Written By: Howard on 08/23/16 at 2:25 pm

I think the 80's were a fantastic time for black folks.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/23/16 at 2:29 pm

I think the 80s, 90s, and 2000s were cool for black people.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/23/16 at 3:01 pm

Well, it's not clear that everyone thinks that way about modern rap. I just think rap nowadays is just full of dumb noises and incoherent lyrics. It doesn't really mean anything to me, and it's weird that it's mainstream towards the general population.
Not just modern rap, but all types of rap as well. There's lots of folks who still despise gangsta rap and crunk rap despite them being irrelevant in the last several years.

and I'm one of them. ::)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I may be half-black, but I never really got that much prejudice for some reason. Even though I live in a conservative borough in New York City, it never was the case where somebody called me a racial slur or anything. As for post-9/11 racism, I think it just went towards Muslims.
Same here. Maybe it has to do with your personality.

Does anyone else get the impression that Y2K-era teen culture was pretty whitewashed, unlike that of the core '90s?
What do you mean by that?

Yeah, it was! However, it's #3 on the list.

I think the 80s, 90s, and 2000s were cool for black people.
Yeah, these decades are truly the top 3 for black folks ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/23/16 at 3:22 pm

Not just modern rap, but all types of rap as well. There's lots of folks who still despise gangsta rap and crunk rap despite them being irrelevant in the last several years.

I thought a lot of black people liked gangsta rap, since it did make hip hop influential towards the mainstream media.

It may have to deal with the fact that I act white. Especially when I live in a suburban neighborhood.

Agreed.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/23/16 at 6:45 pm

I thought a lot of black people liked gangsta rap, since it did make hip hop influential towards the mainstream media.

It may have to deal with the fact that I act white. Especially when I live in a suburban neighborhood.

Agreed.
Well they do and it was significant in the media, but I meant that non-black folks don't like rap in general especially if they are older. The first sub-genre of rap they all heard back then was the gangsta type thanks to NWA.

Oh well that does tend to happen. Sometimes, you have to change your attitude to avoid prejudice or some folks will lump with you in with the stereotypical ones.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/23/16 at 6:54 pm

Well they do and it was significant in the media, but I meant that non-black folks don't like rap in general especially if they are older. The first sub-genre of rap they all heard back then was the gangsta type thanks to NWA.

I think it was because NWA was somehow like the first rap group that gain controversial attention, especially when they made a song called "F*ck da Police". Not only did that song pissed a lot of police officers, but also had the FBI warning NWA to not play that song during their concerts.

Oh well that does tend to happen. Sometimes, you have to change your attitude to avoid prejudice or some folks will lump with you in with the stereotypical ones.

Usually, I don't really act that black. I grew up in a racially mixed neighborhood (my neighbors are either Puerto Rican, African American, European American, and Chinese American). Especially when I grew up in a interracial family (my dad's black, while my mom's white).

Written By: Ripley on 08/23/16 at 6:59 pm

This was definitely a big decade for African Americans! I remember all those awesome shows and the wonderful R&B music 😍

Written By: 2001 on 08/23/16 at 7:11 pm

I thought I was white until I was 13  ;D I grew up in a 99% white neighbourhood but never really experienced any racism. The only time someone was directly racist to me was in 2012 when I was on the bus. Some middle school aged kids started calling me names, but I pretended to not hear them (I had my headphones on). Thankfully I was off literally the next stop.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/23/16 at 7:23 pm

I thought I was white until I was 13  ;D I grew up in a 99% white neighbourhood but never really experienced any racism. The only time someone was directly racist to me was in 2012 when I was on the bus. Some middle school aged kids started calling me names, but I pretended to not hear them (I had my headphones on). Thankfully I was off literally the next stop.

I never really gave a crap about my race. I thought I was just like the characters from my favorite children's books (Olivia, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Chrysanthemum, Where the Wild Things Are), even though I grew out of it after I was about 6 and a half.

Written By: 2001 on 08/23/16 at 7:25 pm

I never really gave a crap about my race. I thought I was just like the characters from my children's books (Olivia, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Chrysanthemum, Where the Wild Things Are), even though I grew out of it after I was about 6 and a half.

Exactly how it should be!  :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/23/16 at 7:34 pm

Exactly how it should be!  :D

Yeah. I don't know why people really identify that much towards their race. Especially in the United States. Even though I'm mixed race, it didn't really matter towards what race do I identify best with. I usually identify with how happy I was as a kid, and how I felt mature over the years. I listen to the music that I like, because it's like a work of art. It has feelings, settings, and overall atmosphere. Not because a lot of people in the race that I usually identify with listen to it.

Written By: 2001 on 08/23/16 at 7:42 pm

Yeah. I don't know why people really identify that much towards their race. Especially in the United States. Even though I'm mixed race, it didn't really matter towards what race do I identify best with. I usually identify with how happy I was as a kid, and how I felt mature over the years. I listen to the music that I like, because it's like a work of art. It has feelings, settings, and overall atmosphere. Not because a lot of people in the race that I usually identify with listen to it.

Oh, I see. I can see why people identify with race, but your growing up experience sounds pretty cool too.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/23/16 at 7:45 pm

Oh, I see. I can see why people identify with race, but your growing up experience sounds pretty cool too.

It has to deal with them (especially minorities) being racially segregated, even though it's immoral (to most people) and illegal in the United States. But yeah, growing up with children's books as a young kid gave me an identity somehow. Same with PBS Kids and Nick Jr. shows (e.g. Dragon Tales, Oswald, Maggie and the Ferocious Beast, George Shrinks, etc).

Written By: XYkid on 08/24/16 at 12:32 am

You're from Canada, right? That might have something to do with it.

Written By: aja675 on 08/24/16 at 1:01 am

What ethnicity are you?

Written By: Ripley on 08/24/16 at 10:14 am

Its a shame that the culture isn't as big as it used to be. There are not many shows or films geared toward Blacks. The times there are, they're not popular. R&B, as I've discussed before, is not like it used to be. Its not even really R&B anymore! The Rap & Hip-Hop these days is no good. Even legends like to "convert" to the crap that is mainstream. Wayne Carter only cares about Nicki's booty and his purple drink. Drake is a good singer but I don't like his raps. I want to hear fun songs like "Tennessee" and "The Humpty Hump". Real songs about the toughness of life like "Dear Mama". Also, I enjoyed the Gangsta Rap. Snoop and Daz and Pac were true idols. As cheesy as No Limit and early Cash Money were, I'll take those any day over what's on the radio now. Also, there was plenty of good rap in the early - mid 00's. I enjoyed Snap. And Ludacris was a favorite of mine.

So many great black shows of the 90's and early 00's:

Living Single, A Different World, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, Martin, The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, Sister Sister, The Wayans Bros, In Living Color, The Jamie Foxx Show, The Steve Harvey Show, Moesha, Thea, My Brother And Me, Kenan & Kel, Cousin Skeeter, New York Undercover, Family Matters, For Your Love, The Hughleys, Sparks, Smart Guy, In The House, Cosby

Soul Food, My Wife & Kids, Girlfriends, All Of Us, Cuts, Half & Half, Eve, One On One, That's So Raven, The Parkers, The Bernie Mac Show, All About The Andersons, Like Family

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/24/16 at 10:54 am

Its a shame that the culture isn't as big as it used to be. There are not many shows or films geared toward Blacks. The times there are, they're not popular. R&B, as I've discussed before, is not like it used to be. Its not even really R&B anymore! The Rap & Hip-Hop these days is no good. Even legends like to "convert" to the crap that is mainstream. Wayne Carter only cares about Nicki's booty and his purple drink. Drake is a good singer but I don't like his raps. I want to hear fun songs like "Tennessee" and "The Humpty Hump". Real songs about the toughness of life like "Dear Mama". Also, I enjoyed the Gangsta Rap. Snoop and Daz and Pac were true idols. As cheesy as No Limit and early Cash Money were, I'll take those any day over what's on the radio now. Also, there was plenty of good rap in the early - mid 00's. I enjoyed Snap. And Ludacris was a favorite of mine.

So many great black shows of the 90's and early 00's:

Living Single, A Different World, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, Martin, The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, Sister Sister, The Wayans Bros, In Living Color, The Jamie Foxx Show, The Steve Harvey Show, Moesha, Thea, My Brother And Me, Kenan & Kel, Cousin Skeeter, New York Undercover, Family Matters, For Your Love, The Hughleys, Sparks, Smart Guy, In The House, Cosby

Soul Food, My Wife & Kids, Girlfriends, All Of Us, Cuts, Half & Half, Eve, One On One, That's So Raven, The Parkers, The Bernie Mac Show, All About The Andersons, Like Family

Real R&B became extinct by 2007. I have a belief that the more advance music became, disallowed the soul. If you look back to the earlier 2000s and 90s, R&B is supposed to have a balance of old school and futuristic. I'll list Aaliyah as an example.

If you look at Lil Wayne in his early Cash Money days, he was way more human then compared to now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/16 at 11:07 am

Real R&B became extinct by 2007. I have a belief that the more advance music became, disallowed the soul. If you look back to the earlier 2000s and 90s, R&B is supposed to have a balance of old school and futuristic. I'll list Aaliyah as an example.

If you look at Lil Wayne in his early Cash Money days, he was way more human then compared to now.

I felt like 2006 was more sane towards R&B than the later years of the 2000s. When I heard of Irreplaceable by Beyonce that year, it felt majestic. Even though I would rather listen to 2000s R&B instead of the crap we have today, It's like early-mid 2000s black music was the sh*t for me.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/24/16 at 1:36 pm

Yeah... but nothin compared to the 90s and 00s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/24/16 at 1:41 pm

Yep. when the millennium era of NSYNC, Britney and BB started the black culture's popularity was briefly pushed aside; despite DMX and Eminem ruling the charts and shows like Moesha, Steve Harvey, and Jamie Foxx.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/24/16 at 1:45 pm

Understandable, since Obama is technically mixed race.

But dude... I'm a bit light skinned myself. ::)  Yet... I consider myself black, I don't have to be dark skinned. ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/24/16 at 2:36 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
What do you mean by that?
Yeah, it was! However, it's #3 on the list.

You mean to tell me it wasn't #1? ???

Written By: Howard on 08/24/16 at 2:38 pm

This was definitely a big decade for African Americans! I remember all those awesome shows and the wonderful R&B music 😍

Are you referring to the 80's?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/16 at 2:39 pm

You mean to tell me it wasn't #1? ???

Well, not everybody thinks that it's #1. It's subjective.

Written By: 2001 on 08/24/16 at 3:04 pm

You're from Canada, right? That might have something to do with it.

How do you mean? Canada isn't utopia, but I wouldn't really hesitate in saying it's the least racist country on earth (not that there was much competition). For one, we're the only Western country without a far-right party. ;D

What ethnicity are you?

South Asian, but light skinned, which is why I thought I was white lol.

Well, not everybody thinks that it's #1. It's subjective.

Wasn't there a huge cocaine epidemic that killed a lot of people?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/16 at 3:09 pm

Wasn't there a huge cocaine epidemic that killed a lot of people?

If you're talking about the drug war, then I guess so. The 80s were notorious for that, although I still enjoy their pop culture.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/24/16 at 4:44 pm

Are you referring to the 80's?

Nope she's talking bout the 90s Howard.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/24/16 at 6:51 pm

I felt like 2006 was more sane towards R&B than the later years of the 2000s. When I heard of Irreplaceable by Beyonce that year, it felt majestic. Even though I would rather listen to 2000s R&B instead of the crap we have today, It's like early-mid 2000s black music was the sh*t for me.

I was going to say 2006 my self, but Mary J. Blige made a surprising comeback in 2007 with Just Fine, which is on pair with her older hits.

Written By: Ripley on 08/24/16 at 8:16 pm

Yes that's so true! He's like an android robot now...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/16 at 10:35 pm

How do you mean? Canada isn't utopia, but I wouldn't really hesitate in saying it's the least racist country on earth (not that there was much competition). For one, we're the only Western country without a far-right party. ;D

That's what made Canada look better than the U.S. in comparison.

South Asian, but light skinned, which is why I thought I was white lol.

I looked white on pictures when I was a newborn to about 7 or 8. It might have to deal with my melanin developing somewhere between those ages.

Written By: aja675 on 08/24/16 at 10:37 pm

Yep. when the millennium era of NSYNC, Britney and BB started the black culture's popularity was briefly pushed aside; despite DMX and Eminem ruling the charts and shows like Moesha, Steve Harvey, and Jamie Foxx.
That's why I had a racial complex when I was in preschool, kindergarten, and the first few years of elementary.

Written By: tv on 08/26/16 at 10:40 pm

He became mainstream in 2008 when he became really popular.

Written By: tv on 08/26/16 at 10:46 pm

I was going to say 2006 my self, but Mary J. Blige made a surprising comeback in 2007 with Just Fine, which is on pair with her older hits.
Her 90's stuff is great.

Written By: 2001 on 08/27/16 at 11:38 pm

I looked white on pictures when I was a newborn to about 7 or 8. It might have to deal with my melanin developing somewhere between those ages.

Were your childhood photos taken in film? Going by my childhood photos, the camera tends to make people look whiter, and make white people look pink ;D

That's why I had a racial complex when I was in preschool, kindergarten, and the first few years of elementary.

I thought you lived in the Philippines?

Written By: aja675 on 08/28/16 at 12:34 am

Oh, Filipinos have racial complexes too.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/28/16 at 8:17 am

Were your childhood photos taken in film? Going by my childhood photos, the camera tends to make people look whiter, and make white people look pink ;D

My baby pictures were taken in either a film or digital camera. My family does have a lot of pictures of me as a baby, especially with two albums for it. There's also pictures of me when I was in preschool, but I'm not sure where my family puts it. For my other pictures taken from 2005-2007, I think it was taken by a digital camera. In fact, it's stored on a SD card. So, I guess there's that.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/29/16 at 8:03 pm

Actually, I say they were side to side especially since R&B was huge during that era. Keep in mind there were black millennium era acts such as Destiny's Child, 3LW, Jagged Edge, Blaque, Next, etc.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/29/16 at 8:51 pm

Actually, I say they were side to side especially since R&B was huge during that era. Keep in mind there were black millennium era acts such as Destiny's Child, 3LW, Jagged Edge, Blaque, Next, etc.

Blackstreet were a phenomenon.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/29/16 at 9:19 pm

Them too! They were everywhere.

Written By: Ripley on 08/30/16 at 6:10 pm

I love them ☺

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/06/16 at 10:32 am

I love them ☺
Were there any other urban artists you liked?

Written By: Ripley on 09/06/16 at 4:30 pm

Were there any other urban artists you liked?

There were so many! It would take forever to list them!

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/11/16 at 10:00 am

https://img0.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.100052545.jpg

https://img1.etsystatic.com/137/0/7673385/il_570xN.1074730313_s5nh.jpg

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0149/2524/files/Screen_shot_2013-01-07_at_13.32.06.png?476

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1LgE4X0-05Q/hqdefault.jpg

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/564/1558590071401.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/familymatters/images/d/da/2005_0308_urkel.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140617201233

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/styles/tout_image_612x380/public/i/2012/11/08/Mark-Wahlberg_510x317.jpg?itok=rv5huqlC

https://img0.etsystatic.com/069/2/11283002/il_570xN.804574496_93hh.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/Yo_Yogi!.jpg

http://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/images/1991-0510-Michael-Jordan-001304424.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5JGNxrHQC84/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/11/16 at 10:20 am

https://img0.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.100052545.jpg

https://img1.etsystatic.com/137/0/7673385/il_570xN.1074730313_s5nh.jpg

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0149/2524/files/Screen_shot_2013-01-07_at_13.32.06.png?476

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/564/1558590071401.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/familymatters/images/d/da/2005_0308_urkel.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140617201233

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/styles/tout_image_612x380/public/i/2012/11/08/Mark-Wahlberg_510x317.jpg?itok=rv5huqlC

https://img0.etsystatic.com/069/2/11283002/il_570xN.804574496_93hh.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/Yo_Yogi!.jpg

http://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/images/1991-0510-Michael-Jordan-001304424.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5JGNxrHQC84/hqdefault.jpg

That's a pretty cool way to describe African American culture in the early 90s.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/11/16 at 10:22 am

That's a pretty cool way to describe African American culture in the early 90s.

Thank you.

Check for new replies or respond here...