inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What if... Nintendo had moved on to CDs during the 64 era?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/09/16 at 3:17 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/what-if-nintendo-used-cds-for-the-n64-instead-of-c-29362585/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=61151389

Now that the 20th anniversary of Nintendo 64 is nearing, it got me thinking... what if Nintendo hadn't stuck with cartridges how it would have affected the industry during that generation and how it would have effected the industry today? I read some of the forums and it was some interesting stuff.  :o You can check it out if you want! ;) I feel if they had moved on to CDs everything would have changed and Nintendo wouldn't be where they are at right now. What do y'all think?

Subject: Re: What if... Nintendo had moved on to CDs during the 64 era?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/09/16 at 4:15 pm

If Nintendo went on with CDs during the 6th generation, then it would've been a fair competition to Nintendo and Sony. That, and they could possibly have Square make Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX on both the N64 and PS1. But I digress for the fact that Nintendo is going for the mobile gaming market. Personally, I would blame myself for suggesting Nintendo to go for mobile gaming. I remember sending them an email on a Yahoo account from my middle school, believing that mobile gaming could be a successful thing for them. They replied to me back saying that they wouldn't do it, but they did it anyway. Either a lot of kids sent them emails like that, but I just regret doing that in the first place.

Written By: 2001 on 09/09/16 at 4:38 pm

I'd be a Gen Zer.

Lol jk. They already had poor relations with third party developers to begin with but they could've held on to more of them had they used CDs.

If Nintendo went on with CDs during the 6th generation, then it would've been a fair competition to Nintendo and Sony. That, and they could possibly have Square make Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX on both the N64 and PS1. But I digress for the fact that Nintendo is going for the mobile gaming market. Personally, I would blame myself for suggesting Nintendo to go for mobile gaming. I remember sending them an email on a Yahoo account from my middle school, believing that mobile gaming could be a successful thing for them. They replied to me back saying that they wouldn't do it, but they did it anyway. Either a lot of kids sent them emails like that, but I just regret doing that in the first place.

I...  Doubt your email had much sway. Investors have been telling Nintendo to move into the mobile market since the 3DS launch got off to a rocky start.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/09/16 at 6:34 pm

I...  Doubt your email had much sway. Investors have been telling Nintendo to move into the mobile market since the 3DS launch got off to a rocky start.

Well... there's also that. All this time, I actually thought people who sent emails to Nintendo of America (including me) were actually the reason when went to the mobile market. But I guess their investors want them to get with the times, even though they haven't since the 90s.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/09/16 at 7:17 pm

The only really significant difference would be that it would actually get Final Fantasy VII as was originally planned, instead of the PS1 receiving the revolutionary RPG. If all other factors were unchanged, the N64 still would have arrived a year later than its biggest competitors and therefore still wouldn't have been able to harness phenomenal third party support by its release. Even during the 16-bit era, Nintendo was already losing its monopoly over third party developers to Sega, whose closest assets eventually moved on to Sony.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/09/16 at 8:25 pm

The only really significant difference would be that it would actually get Final Fantasy VII as was originally planned, instead of the PS1 receiving the revolutionary RPG. If all other factors were unchanged, the N64 still would have arrived a year later than its biggest competitors and therefore still wouldn't have been able to harness phenomenal third party support by its release. Even during the 16-bit era, Nintendo was already losing its monopoly over third party developers to Sega, whose closest assets eventually moved on to Sony.

No wonder why the Genesis had somehow better third party games. Although, their first party games was what made the Genesis look unique.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 09/11/16 at 7:28 pm

Still would of been inferior to the mighty PS1.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/12/16 at 10:53 am

GTFO!!! >:(  Just messing with ya!!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/12/16 at 4:04 pm

How would you know that?  ::)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 09/13/16 at 5:59 am

GTFO!!! >:(  Just messing with ya!!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

:P

How would you know that?  ::)

Uhh... Because I own both systems?

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/13/16 at 11:30 am

I'm glad they didn't. The N64 would have been like a rejected version of the PlayStation. They moved to CD's at the right time during the Gamecube with brilliant smaller shaped CD's as the N64 cartridges were already excitingly unique.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/13/16 at 1:58 pm

I'm glad they didn't. The N64 would have been like a rejected version of the PlayStation. They moved to CD's at the right time during the Gamecube with brilliant smaller shaped CD's as the N64 cartridges were already excitingly unique.

As much as I like the N64, the technology on the system seems rather old, since the PS1 was cheaper to produce games. I could understand that the PS1's memory sucks, since you had to buy numerous memory cards in order to save the games, but the system sold over 100 million units, while the N64 sold only 32.93 million units worldwide. That's about three times worth the PS1 was sold. I could agree that the N64 had better games, but the PS1 was more popular with hardcore gamers at the time.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/14/16 at 7:55 pm

Well if they did, then they would obviously had more games since they had about 300 throughout it's time span. Adding to that, they most likely would have had a better ranking against Sega and Sony and have many more 2nd and 3rd party games. One of the main reasons Nintendo stuck with cartridges in the first place is that piracy was an issue and that was better option from letting that to them.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/14/16 at 8:14 pm

Well if they did, then they would obviously had more games since they had about 300 throughout it's time span. Adding to that, they most likely would have had a better ranking against Sega and Sony and have many more 2nd and 3rd party games. One of the main reasons Nintendo stuck with cartridges in the first place is that piracy was an issue and that was better option from letting that to them.

I'm pretty sure most people on the Internet think that the Nintendo 64 is better than the Sega Saturn, so I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch where Nintendo failed to beat Sega in the late 90s. Especially when the company (Sega) already flopped out from the console business in the early 2000s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/14/16 at 8:19 pm

I'm pretty sure most people on the Internet think that the Nintendo 64 is better than the Sega Saturn, so I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch where Nintendo failed to beat Sega in the late 90s. Especially when the company (Sega) already flopped out from the console business in the early 2000s.
Yeah, that's understandable; however, just imagine if it had surpassed the PS1 in popularity during the late 90s? I bet there would have more games in the early 00s.

Check for new replies or respond here...