inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What music genre was singer Lisa Loeb in?

Written By: tv on 10/24/16 at 2:13 am

I have been thinking about this for awhile what music genre does singer Lisa Loeb belong to? She wasn't Lilith Fair like Sarah McLauglin was although she had that image and she wasn't Pop/R&B like Mariah Carey was(1990-1996.) She kinda fits in between Mariah and Sarah though? Her song "I Stayed(But I Missed You)" from 1994 sounds like "contemporary pop" maybe. 1997's "I Do" the lyrics and vocals sound fluffy but its not synthesized at all. I can't place her in a music genre. Maybe Folk Pop? She doesn't fit the Alternative or Rock label at all.

Subject: Re: What music genre was singer Lisa Loeb in?

Written By: #Infinity on 10/24/16 at 12:07 pm

She was pretty much in the same adult contemporary/pop rock category that Melissa Etheridge and Sheryl Crow were in the mid-late 90s.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/24/16 at 12:56 pm

My favorite Lisa Loeb song (out of a total of about 3 that I actually know) is called "How" and appeared in both Twister (1996) and Jack Frost (1998)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/25/16 at 1:43 pm

I love her!  8)

Written By: Ripley on 11/13/16 at 12:58 pm

I put her as Alternative myself

Written By: ArcticFox on 11/13/16 at 10:36 pm

Lol Lisa Loeb was Lilith Fair music!

Written By: tv on 11/24/16 at 9:26 pm

She was pretty much in the same adult contemporary/pop rock category that Melissa Etheridge and Sheryl Crow were in the mid-late 90s.
I think she is closer to Sheryl Crow than Melissa Etheridge since Melissa was more rock-oriented than Sheryl or Lisa were.

Written By: nally on 11/24/16 at 11:28 pm

I put her as Alternative myself

I think I am leaning close to that too, although she might have been in a subcategory called 'Adult Alternative' that kinda developed during the 1990s, although opinions may vary.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/25/16 at 12:50 am

I think she is closer to Sheryl Crow than Melissa Etheridge since Melissa was more rock-oriented than Sheryl or Lisa were.

I could easily imagine Etheridge recording something like "Do You Sleep?". All three artists had their share of heavier, rockier tunes, as well as softer, more acoustic ones.

Check for new replies or respond here...