inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 90s: Depicted Through Three TLC Videos

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/12/16 at 2:03 am

EARLY 90s

XmH4_pr6mH0

MID 90s

8WEtxJ4-sh4

LATE 90s

FrLequ6dUdM

Subject: Re: The 90s: Depicted Through Three TLC Videos

Written By: 2001 on 11/13/16 at 7:48 pm

The early '90s and the late '90s one look super stereotypical, though the mid-'90s one not so much ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/13/16 at 8:34 pm

Creep sums up TLC as a whole to me.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/13/16 at 9:39 pm

The early '90s and the late '90s one look super stereotypical, though the mid-'90s one not so much ;D

THANK YOU. My point was made and received. The mid-90s really had a down to earth feel to it. As a 90s kid, I miss it quite a lot. Idyllic in its own way. Gang violence awareness and AIDS awareness without the gay angle were en vogue at that time. Waterfalls really captured that.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/13/16 at 9:54 pm

:)

Written By: ArcticFox on 11/13/16 at 10:35 pm

The early and late '90s one aren't very representative of their respective times. Girls never dresses like they did in those videos; they were basically costumes. And to me "Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg" isn't the best representation of early '90s music. I think any of the other three singles from their debut album are much more similar to the rest of early '90s music.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/14/16 at 12:58 am

The early and late '90s one aren't very representative of their respective times. Girls never dresses like they did in those videos; they were basically costumes. And to me "Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg" isn't the best representation of early '90s music. I think any of the other three singles from their debut album are much more similar to the rest of early '90s music.

I chose those two videos because they remind me not of how non-celebrities dressed but the spirit of those eras. I'd like to see your video picks for each time period tho.

I definitely remember Baby-Baby-Baby being played the most throughout the decade than the other songs off that album.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/14/16 at 7:00 am

IMO Eurodance, East Coast vs. West Coast rap, and post-Kurt Cobain grunge represent the mid-90s to me.

But you could go by supergenre to give a feel of what genre/subgenre defined each phase of the "decade about nothing":

Early '90s: Return of neotraditional artists like Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, and Travis Tritt
Mid '90s: Not too much represented since it was mostly focused on regional markets at this time with few crossovers
Late '90s: Pop crossovers from Shania Twain, Faith Hill, LeAnn Rimes

R&B:
Early '90s: New Jack Swing
Mid '90s: Smooth soul with a tinge of '70s influence and hip-hop beats
Late '90s: A mix of retro-disco, rap, and contemporary dance sounds

Hip Hop:
Early '90s: Golden age "old school" with a few gangsta hits (this is also true for 1988 and 1989)
Mid '90s: Gangsta, old school artists like Hammer struggle
Late '90s: Glam, some golden age artists like LL Cool J have comebacks

Rock:
Early '90s: Late period Glam Metal along with grunge
Mid '90s: "General Alternative/Modern Rock" (Collective Soul, the Cranberries, Dave Matthews Band, Alanis Morisette) that isn't necessarily grunge with some crossovers like Hootie and the Blowfish
Late '90s: More pop crossovers ("I Want to Get Away, I Want to Fly Away", "All-Star") with some latin, post-grunge, and nu metal

Pop:
Early '90s: Old school synthesizer sounds with some lingering gated drum sounds, but no "snapping" drum beats
Mid '90s: More natural instruments with more realistic synthesizers and some retro '70s influence
Late '90s: More uptempo, "teen pop"

Dance:
Early '90s: House/Techno
Mid-'90s: Eurodance
Late '90s: Electronica/Trance

Written By: #Infinity on 11/14/16 at 11:22 am

It's pretty interesting how all 3 of TLC's 90s albums perfectly epitomize their respective eras. Even 3D is a pitch perfect representation of early 2000s music.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/14/16 at 2:22 pm

Reminds me of my childhood pre-2001.  ;)

Written By: ArcticFox on 11/15/16 at 12:55 pm

R&B:
Early '90s: New Jack Swing
Mid '90s: Smooth soul with a tinge of '70s influence and hip-hop beats
Late '90s: A mix of retro-disco, rap, and contemporary dance sounds

Not completely true. New Jack Swing was the dominant form of R&B music all through 1993 and 1994 as well as most of 1995. Hip-Hop Soul is another one as well, although this one survived further into the mid '90s than Swingbeat did. What you're really describing in the mid '90s section is actually Neo Soul and Jazz Hip-Hop (like Maxwell and Erykah Badu). Spot on about the late '90s though.

Hip Hop:
Early '90s: Golden age "old school" with a few gangsta hits (this is also true for 1988 and 1989)
Mid '90s: Gangsta, old school artists like Hammer struggle
Late '90s: Glam, some golden age artists like LL Cool J have comebacks

This one is not completely true either. For most of the mid '90s you still had the fast-paced, upbeat, breakdance-style Rap that was popular in the early '90s (again, all of 1993 and 1994 as well as most of 1995). LL Cool J made a comeback in late 1995 when the early '90s style rap finally went away for good.

Rock:
Early '90s: Late period Glam Metal along with grunge
Mid '90s: "General Alternative/Modern Rock" (Collective Soul, the Cranberries, Dave Matthews Band, Alanis Morisette) that isn't necessarily grunge with some crossovers like Hootie and the Blowfish
Late '90s: More pop crossovers ("I Want to Get Away, I Want to Fly Away", "All-Star") with some latin, post-grunge, and nu metal

Pretty much correct regarding the mid and late '90s, but the early '90s was actually more Alternative Rock-driven and Glam Metal had actually been drastically declining since 1989.

Pop:
Early '90s: Old school synthesizer sounds with some lingering gated drum sounds, but no "snapping" drum beats
Mid '90s: More natural instruments with more realistic synthesizers and some retro '70s influence
Late '90s: More uptempo, "teen pop"

I'm not really sure if "pure Pop" existed in the early '90s, because everything just seems so genre-based from 1989-1995.

Dance:
Early '90s: House/Techno
Mid-'90s: Eurodance
Late '90s: Electronica/Trance

Correct, although Techno was both an early and mid '90s thing. If anything it was more popular in the mid '90s than it was in the early '90s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/17/16 at 4:44 pm

Waterfalls sums them up to me. ;)

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/20/16 at 3:09 pm

EARLY 90s

XmH4_pr6mH0

MID 90s

8WEtxJ4-sh4

LATE 90s

FrLequ6dUdM

EARLY 90s

XmH4_pr6mH0

MID 90s

8WEtxJ4-sh4

VERY EARLY 00s

FrLequ6dUdM

Written By: 80sfan on 11/20/16 at 3:12 pm

A perfect trilogy you've got there.  ;)

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/21/16 at 1:15 pm

A perfect trilogy you've got there.  ;)

I feel genuinely lucky to be an 90s kids. I'm happy I got to know the world before the internet took over.

Written By: aja675 on 12/14/16 at 5:44 am

I remember seeing the last vid in my aunt's house almost 18 years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...