inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Early '90s Teens vs Mid '90s Teens vs Late '90s Teens

Written By: ArcticFox on 11/15/16 at 12:38 pm

It seems like my previous thread in the 1980's board was a little misunderstood, perhaps because of the polls. Now I'm going to do the 1990's version of an American high school experience. So here's the question: How are these three types of '90s teens different from each other? Here I will quote a statement from the original 1980's thread with some modifications:

Adolescence is generally paired up with high school, and rightfully so. Just because you are 13 or 19 doesn't mean you are an adolescent—you are a teenager, not an adolescent! When I refer to "'90s Teens", I'm talking about people who spent either all or most of their high school years in the 1990's. I consider adolescence to span from the summer right before 9th grade year (because 9th grade isn't always considered high school) all the way through the summer immediately following 12th grade year. For someone who graduated high school in 1994, that would span June 1990 through August 1994.

Again, as with the previous thread, I want you guys to talk about the differences between people who were in high school in the early '90s and people who were in high school in the middle and later '90s. Since this was the beginning of the Internet era but before the Insta-Interconnected era of the 21st Century, location really matters when discussing a person's high school experience. But within these three chronological eras of the 1990's, people dressed differently, listened to different types of music, watched different tv shows, liked different types of movies, played different kinds of video games, and said different catch-phrases. So go ahead—compare and contrast early and mid '90s teenagers. How is someone who graduated high school in 1994 different from someone who graduated high school in 1998? As for who is a '90s teen, here is the list:

Early '90s Teens: High School Classes of 1992, '93, '94, & '95
Mid '90s Teens: High School Classes of 1996, '97, & '98
Late '90s Teens: High School Classes of 1999, '00, and '01

Remember, I'm going by the school system of the United States only! Anyone is free to make a 2000's version (I don't care about the '00s), but don't do the 2010's—I'm doing that!

Update 12/5/2016: To make the boundaries a little bit more fluid, I will classify Class of 1995 as early-to-mid '90s teens, Class of 1998 are mid-to-late '90s teens, and Class of 2001 as late '90s with an acquired taste for early aughts culture. All of this is because of proximity, and when they graduated.

Subject: Re: Early '90s Teens vs Mid '90s Teens vs Late '90s Teens

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/15/16 at 4:51 pm

Anyone is free to make a 2000's version (I don't care about the '00s),

;D ;D ;D  That's harsh!!!

Written By: violet_shy on 11/15/16 at 5:06 pm

I was in High school from 1994 to 1998. So in accordance to your post, I was an early to mid 90s teen. I have to say, 1998 was VERY different. In 1997 we used Windows '95 in our computer literacy class. It was the first time I used the internet.

Written By: ArcticFox on 11/15/16 at 7:09 pm

;D ;D ;D  That's harsh!!!

LOL I don't like the TEEN culture I enjoy the kid culture though!

Written By: ArcticFox on 11/16/16 at 12:03 pm

I was in High school from 1994 to 1998. So in accordance to your post, I was an early to mid 90s teen. I have to say, 1998 was VERY different. In 1997 we used Windows '95 in our computer literacy class. It was the first time I used the internet.

Actually you're a mid to late '90s teen. I'm just generalizing everything because going into the intricate details is irritating if there isn't a reason to go into it. However, like you said, you started high school in 1994 and ended in 1998. The first three years were culturally mid '90s while the last one was late. Calendar-wise it's 50/50.

It's fascinating that you were one of the first high schoolers to use the internet not only in school but at all. Did they ever use Macs?

And also, how did you graduate high school in 1998 if you were born in early September 1980? Weren't you too young to be enrolled in Kindergarten in 1985? Did you graduate a year early or skip a grade? I thought the cutoff was September. It certainly was for my generation. If someone was born in September 2000 then they are the Class of 2019 with an early birthday to match, but it seems you had a late birthday for your graduating class.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/16/16 at 2:12 pm

Actually you're a mid to late '90s teen. I'm just generalizing everything because going into the intricate details is irritating if there isn't a reason to go into it. However, like you said, you started high school in 1994 and ended in 1998. The first three years were culturally mid '90s while the last one was late. Calendar-wise it's 50/50.

It's fascinating that you were one of the first high schoolers to use the internet not only in school but at all. Did they ever use Macs?

And also, how did you graduate high school in 1998 if you were born in early September 1980? Weren't you too young to be enrolled in Kindergarten in 1985? Did you graduate a year early or skip a grade? I thought the cutoff was September. It certainly was for my generation. If someone was born in September 2000 then they are the Class of 2019 with an early birthday to match, but it seems you had a late birthday for your graduating class.

Here in Missouri, the cutoff was originally September-August until 1991. It got changed because in 1991 the date to start school changed to the second or third week of August. Before 1991 school ALWAYS started after labor day.

Ever since 1991, it's been usually August-July.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/16 at 3:16 pm

I was in High School from 1988-1992.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/16/16 at 3:37 pm

I was in High School from 1988-1992.

Yep you're a very late 80s and early 90s teen.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/17/16 at 12:34 pm

Early '90s: Grunge, Sir-Mix-Alot, flannel, punk fashion
Mid '90s: Shock rock, goth culture, clothes 3-4 sizes too large
Late '90s: Boy bands, Eminem, Abercrombie & Fitch, clean cut look with frosted tips

Written By: violet_shy on 11/17/16 at 1:10 pm

Hmm, I never thought about that. My mother enrolled me in Kindergarten around August 1985, it was late August. Then I started in September. I guess schooling was different back then. High school graduation was in June 1998, I was 17. I never skipped any grades. My place in grade school/high school was just right. I was neither too young or too old. :)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/17/16 at 4:39 pm

Hmm, I never thought about that. My mother enrolled me in Kindergarten around August 1985, it was late August. Then I started in September. I guess schooling was different back then. High school graduation was in June 1998, I was 17. I never skipped any grades. My place in grade school/high school was just right. I was neither too young or too old. :)

If you lived in here in Missouri, it would have been the same.
Although, if you were born a decade later you would have started kindergarten at  5 1/2. graduated at 18.

Written By: ArcticFox on 11/21/16 at 5:06 am

Here in Missouri, the cutoff was originally September-August until 1991. It got changed because in 1991 the date to start school changed to the second or third week of August. Before 1991 school ALWAYS started after labor day.

If you lived in here in Missouri, it would have been the same.
Although, if you were born a decade later you would have started kindergarten at  5 1/2. graduated at 18.

Yeah, the August thing has always bothered me the moment I figured it out. And pretty much every single person I've discussed it with agrees with me too. The only people that seem to not think about it are the people that were actually born in August. Figures!  ::)  The school year starts in August, so it really makes sense for August babies to actually be the oldest of their graduating class, therefore that will give their brains an entire extra year to develop (which would prove advantageous especially towards the boys) and mature, and they would be more prepared for the work laid out for them. They would turn their "new and proper age" right before the school year starts (e.g. 15 right before 9th grade, 16 right before 10th grade, etc.) and therefore they would have a very early birthday instead of having a very late birthday, yet they would still be appropriately placed in the grade that they belong instead. Now July, on the other hand, I can actually understand. It is appropriate for them to be the youngest in their class. The cutoff should be August-July.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/21/16 at 7:47 am

Yeah, the August thing has always bothered me the moment I figured it out. And pretty much every single person I've discussed it with agrees with me too. The only people that seem to not think about it are the people that were actually born in August. Figures!  ::)  The school year starts in August, so it really makes sense for August babies to actually be the oldest of their graduating class, therefore that will give their brains an entire extra year to develop (which would prove advantageous especially towards the boys) and mature, and they would be more prepared for the work laid out for them. They would turn their "new and proper age" right before the school year starts (e.g. 15 right before 9th grade, 16 right before 10th grade, etc.) and therefore they would have a very early birthday instead of having a very late birthday, yet they would still be appropriately placed in the grade that they belong instead. Now July, on the other hand, I can actually understand. It is appropriate for them to be the youngest in their class. The cutoff should be August-July.

When I attended K-12 in Georgia school usually started during the first week of August but the cutoff for kids to enroll in Kindergarten was being 5 by August 31. So people born in September were the oldest in the class while people born in August were the youngest. The cutoffs vary based off different locations & school systems around the U.S.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/21/16 at 7:56 am

It may have used to be like that in Georgia too, I'm not sure if it was specifically 1991 over here or not when the change happened. My dad went to school in Georgia (but he never went to Kindergarten; started 1st grade), and my mom didn't start going to school in Georgia until 5th grade (was in New York before) and both of them didn't go back to school until the day after Labor Day, however, the school year would always be extended throughout June as well. Therefore they would be in school from September-June, but when my friends and I were in school we'd be there from August-May. Here in Georgia that didn't change the cutoff for kids going to Kindergarten though, 4 1/2 year old's over here were always eligible to start Kindergarten in August as long as they were turning 5 throughout the month of August, now if they weren't turning 5 until September, then they'd have to wait another year.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 11/21/16 at 8:44 am

Late '90s: Boy bands, Eminem, Abercrombie & Fitch, clean cut look with frosted tips

I prefer mid 90s

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/21/16 at 12:28 pm

Early '90s: Neon, Pastels, Ocean Pacific, LA Gear, Billabong, Quiksilver, Mc Hammer, Cosby sweaters, Polka Dots, NES

Mid '90s: Grunge, flannel, Polo Sport, Bongo jeans, Cross Colors, baggy clothes

Late '90s: Tommy Hilfiger, goth culture, shock rock, Nautica

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/21/16 at 1:17 pm

When I attended K-12 in Georgia school usually started during the first week of August but the cutoff for kids to enroll in Kindergarten was being 5 by August 31. So people born in September were the oldest in the class while people born in August were the youngest. The cutoffs vary based off different locations & school systems around the U.S.

Yeah here in CA, the cutoff for Kindergarten was December until the 2012-2013 year. After that, it would go up by a month the following year. (2012-13: November, 2013-14: October and 2014-15+: September were the cutoffs). That means there were folks here who started as the previous age for a few months until they birthday came around.

As for the start of the year, it has always been after Labor day (except colleges) until this year where it started a week before the Labor holiday. Times must be changing.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/21/16 at 5:03 pm

Anyone is free to make a 2000's version (I don't care about the '00s), but don't do the 2010's—I'm doing that!

Oh my God lol! I just read this, made me laugh

Written By: ArcticFox on 12/05/16 at 7:49 pm

Hey does anyone want to compare/debate 1992–93, 1993–94, and 1994–95? This is where the early '90s became the mid '90s, which a lot of people tend to fight like cats and dogs over. This thread is perfect for settling the dust.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/05/16 at 8:26 pm

Yeah here in CA, the cutoff for Kindergarten was December until the 2012-2013 year. After that, it would go up by a month the following year. (2012-13: November, 2013-14: October and 2014-15+: September were the cutoffs). That means there were folks here who started as the previous age for a few months until they birthday came around.

As for the start of the year, it has always been after Labor day (except colleges) until this year where it started a week before the Labor holiday. Times must be changing.

I guess states like New York (at least in areas like NYC) still have the December cutoff.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/05/16 at 8:27 pm

Hey does anyone want to compare/debate 1992–93, 1993–94, and 1994–95? This is where the early '90s became the mid '90s, which a lot of people tend to fight like cats and dogs over. This thread is perfect for settling the dust.

You mean the teens of the era or the culture? ???

Written By: ArcticFox on 12/05/16 at 8:41 pm

You mean the teens of the era or the culture? ???

Both. Just remember who the graduating Classes were.

Written By: exodus08 on 12/05/16 at 11:28 pm

It seems like my previous thread in the 1980's board was a little misunderstood, perhaps because of the polls. Now I'm going to do the 1990's version of an American high school experience. So here's the question: How are these three types of '90s teens different from each other? Here I will quote a statement from the original 1980's thread with some modifications:

Again, as with the previous thread, I want you guys to talk about the differences between people who were in high school in the early '90s and people who were in high school in the middle and later '90s. Since this was the beginning of the Internet era but before the Insta-Interconnected era of the 21st Century, location really matters when discussing a person's high school experience. But within these three chronological eras of the 1990's, people dressed differently, listened to different types of music, watched different tv shows, liked different types of movies, played different kinds of video games, and said different catch-phrases. So go ahead—compare and contrast early and mid '90s teenagers. How is someone who graduated high school in 1994 different from someone who graduated high school in 1998? As for who is a '90s teen, here is the list:

Early '90s Teens: High School Classes of 1992, '93, '94, & '95
Mid '90s Teens: High School Classes of 1996, '97, & '98
Late '90s Teens: High School Classes of 1999, '00, and '01

Remember, I'm going by the school system of the United States only! Anyone is free to make a 2000's version (I don't care about the '00s), but don't do the 2010's—I'm doing that!

Update 12/5/2016: To make the boundaries a little bit more fluid, I will classify Class of 1995 as early-to-mid '90s teens, Class of 1998 are mid-to-late '90s teens, and Class of 2001 as late '90s with an acquired taste for early aughts culture. All of this is because of proximity, and when they graduated.

I don't mind since the 00s was the last best decade. Teens in this decade are a bunch of B*tchs.

Written By: ArcticFox on 12/06/16 at 10:32 am

When it comes to school years, there's always that one song that pops up in people's heads that everyone thinks of. Here's mine:

1989–90: Back to Life (However Do You Want Me) - Soul II Soul
1990–91: Gonna Make You Sweat - C+C Music Factory
1991–92: Jump - Kris Kross
1992–93: That's the Way Love Goes - Janet Jackson
1993–94: Whoomp! (There It Is) - Tag Team
1994–95: Creep - TLC
1995–96: You Oughta Know - Alanis Morissette
1996–97: Lovefool - The Cardigans
1997–98: Tubthumping - Chumbawamba
1998–99: You Get What You Give - New Radicals
1999–00: Everything You Want - Vertical Horizon

Wow, music really did decline a lot after 1995. ☹️

Check for new replies or respond here...