inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Misconceptions of the 1990s

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/11/17 at 2:11 pm

What are the myths about this decade?

One of them discovered was the internet. Despite it becoming a dominant force throughout the decade, its use of the device was actually low.

Subject: Re: Misconceptions of the 1990s

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/11/17 at 3:29 pm

One misconception that I've noticed for YEARS now... people (on you-tube) foolishly thinking the anime boom was a 90s thing. It was more of a 00s thing. The decade/era was practically over by the time that happened.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/11/17 at 6:03 pm

Everyone thinks the 90s were still around 2004, for no apparent reason. It's still going, IIRC.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/17 at 9:01 pm

One misconception that I've noticed for YEARS now... people (on you-tube) foolishly thinking the anime boom was a 90s thing. It was more of a 00s thing. The decade/era was practically over by the time that happened.

It depends on the country. In Canada it was a late '90s thing: Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Dragon Ball, Pokémon, Digimon etc. All very popular 1995-1997+. It's still very popular.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/17 at 9:10 pm

That they were happy and laid back

That the world was safer back then.

That the entire decade can be viewed as economically prosperous.

That people back then didn't hate on present day music the same way people on this board do now, kii.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 9:15 pm

That everyone loved flannel and had long hair like Curt Cobain.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/17 at 9:18 pm

Stop ruining it!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 9:19 pm

Stop ruining it!

Huh? Pink one?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/11/17 at 9:33 pm

That we listened to blink-182 and Vanilla Ice all on the same day in 1999 with 80's designs on our pants. ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 9:46 pm

That we listened to blink-182 and Vanilla Ice all on the same day in 1999 with 80's designs on our pants. ::)

The 1990's was very mixed in its flavor when it came to music.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/11/17 at 9:50 pm

The 1990's was very mixed in its flavor when it came to music.

Yeah, but nobody listened to Vanilla Ice in 1999.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/11/17 at 10:00 pm

Don't you mean throughout the decade? I can't see people listening to him anytime after 1990. Besides, he was infamous after covered a song of Queen without permission.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 10:01 pm

He's like the 1990's version of Iggy Azalea.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/11/17 at 10:50 pm

Don't you mean throughout the decade? I can't see people listening to him anytime after 1990. Besides, he was infamous after covered a song of Queen without permission.

I was giving a specific example.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/11/17 at 10:54 pm

He's like the 1990's version of Iggy Azalea.
Nice joke MM.  ;D

I was giving a specific example.
Oh. I should have known. My bad man

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/11/17 at 10:56 pm

Oh. I should have known. My bad man

No worries. : P

Written By: mqg96 on 01/12/17 at 12:06 am

It depends on the country. In Canada it was a late '90s thing: Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Dragon Ball, Pokémon, Digimon etc. All very popular 1995-1997+. It's still very popular.

I would say that the anime boom was more of a millennial (late 90's/early 2000's) thing, since it's unclear whether it's fully 90's or fully 2000's. The anime boom in the U.S. ended around the mid 2000's, but it hadn't happened yet when it was the mid 90's. Anime in the U.S. technically started in the mid 90's, but it wasn't known by most viewers yet. Sailor Moon started in syndication in 1995, Dragon Ball Z started in syndication in 1996, and Pokemon started in syndication in 1998. However, the shows didn't officially become popular by the majority of viewers until they moved to Cartoon Network or WB throughout the 1998-99 season/school year. Overall, I think the peak of anime in the U.S. definitely leans more towards 2000's for sure, because the majority of Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z's episodes (even in its prime) premiered throughout the 2000's, early 2000's but still 2000's. Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist deserves to be part of anime's peak in the mid 2000's as well.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/12/17 at 12:13 am

I would say that the anime boom was more of a millennial (late 90's/early 2000's) thing, since it's unclear whether it's fully 90's or fully 2000's. The anime boom in the U.S. ended around the mid 2000's, but it hadn't happened yet when it was the mid 90's. Anime in the U.S. technically started in the mid 90's, but it wasn't known by most viewers yet. Sailor Moon started in syndication in 1995, Dragon Ball Z started in syndication in 1996, and Pokemon started in syndication in 1998. However, the shows didn't officially become popular by the majority of viewers until they moved to Cartoon Network or WB throughout the 1998-99 season/school year. Overall, I think the peak of anime in the U.S. definitely leans more towards 2000's for sure, because the majority of Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z's episodes (even in its prime) premiered throughout the 2000's, early 2000's but still 2000's. Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist deserves to be part of anime's peak in the mid 2000's as well.

THIS. Anime was pretty obscure to the general public prior to the late 90's.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/12/17 at 12:18 am

One misconception I see about the 90's was how they were 'peaceful', they most certainly weren't. Perhaps it nostalgia or lack of interest but the 90's were actually much more violent than the present. It was the peak of the drug war, violent crime, gun deaths, & domestic terror attacks. I agree that socially things weren't politically and socially polarizing as today and much more low key and relaxing, the sort of 'living room culture' that unfortunately doesn't exist anymore due to advancements made via smartphones. But the era (and certainly no era) was not perfect.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/12/17 at 9:19 am

One misconception I see about the 90's was how they were 'peaceful', they most certainly weren't. Perhaps it nostalgia or lack of interest but the 90's were actually much more violent than the present. It was the peak of the drug war, violent crime, gun deaths, & domestic terror attacks. I agree that socially things weren't politically and socially polarizing as today and much more low key and relaxing, the sort of 'living room culture' that unfortunately doesn't exist anymore due to advancements made via smartphones. But the era (and certainly no era) was not perfect.

You're right. Actually, what's happening now with the '90s reminds me a lot of what happened with the '50s from a nostalgia point of view during the '70s. Between the Red Scare, the social panic over Rock 'N Roll music, the lengthy Korean War, and the beginning of the Civil Rights movement and school integration in the South, the 1950's was actually a fairly tumultuous decade. But, after the violence and chaos of the '60s and '70s, the only thing people remembered about the '50s was Ike, Apple Pie and I Love Lucy. People began to mistakenly assume that '50s life really was just like an episode of Leave it to Beaver, when it really wasn't.

I see the same thing happening now with the '90s. Because the '00s and '10s have been filled with terrible events like 9/11, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the Great Recession, countless mass shootings, etc. people now look back on the '90s as a much more peaceful and prosperous time because it seems so much better by comparison. It also doesn't help that the internet is dominated by folks in their late 20s and early 30s like me who were children back in the '90s who don't really remember much of the bad. To us, the '90s were all about Saturday morning cartoons, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, Blockbuster, Fox Kids and Pogs.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/12/17 at 9:51 am

You're right. Actually, what's happening now with the '90s reminds me a lot of what happened with the '50s from a nostalgia point of view during the '70s. Between the Red Scare, the social panic over Rock 'N Roll music, the lengthy Korean War, and the beginning of the Civil Rights movement and school integration in the South, the 1950's was actually a fairly tumultuous decade. But, after the violence and chaos of the '60s and '70s, the only thing people remembered about the '50s was Ike, Apple Pie and I Love Lucy. People began to mistakenly assume that '50s life really was just like an episode of Leave it to Beaver, when it really wasn't.

I see the same thing happening now with the '90s. Because the '00s and '10s have been filled with terrible events like 9/11, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the Great Recession, countless mass shootings, etc. people now look back on the '90s as a much more peaceful and prosperous time because it seems so much better by comparison. It also doesn't help that the internet is dominated by folks in their late 20s and early 30s like me who were children back in the '90s who don't really remember much of the bad. To us, the '90s were all about Saturday morning cartoons, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, Blockbuster, Fox Kids and Pogs.

I agree, in essence the 90's were a modern day 50's. From a political, societal, & economical standpoint, the United States was in a mini golden age. Similar to how the 50's experienced massive boom for being post WWII & the invention & mass acceptance of the Television, the 90's saw a major boom for being post Cold War & the invention and mass acceptance of the Internet. I see the 00's & 10's as a modern day 60's & 70's in comparison. But like you said, America from a geopolitical standpoint was in a good position, but domestically with strife between social rights activists & oppressors, lack of egalitarianism, school integration, the Red Scare, among other things, the 50's certainly weren't this glorious decade that people made it out to be. No decade is perfect, some decades may be better than others on certain core traits, but that doesn't mean they're better on other traits.

It seems people like to mention the current political strife we have now and the fact that the U.S place in geopolitics has deteriorated within the last 15 years. But people never focus on the positives, like the major technological advancements we have made, the advancements within the realm of science, the television shows we have today (which some have suggested are of a new high quality of their own class), epic blockbuster movies that are able to make CGI so realistic you could of sworn who/it was there, etc. There's always room for improvement, and I perfectly accept that especially in relation to the current decade, but I also understand that there is a lot of positives from this decade as well.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/12/17 at 10:26 am

Yup, this says it all.
And Anime had another boom in the LATE 2000s thanks to Death Note, Bleach, Naruto and yes Fullmetal. Doing some research, It actually declined a little in the mid 00s. 1999-2003 was the first boom, then 2006-2008 was the second.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/17 at 10:37 am

I agree, in essence the 90's were a modern day 50's. From a political, societal, & economical standpoint, the United States was in a mini golden age. Similar to how the 50's experienced massive boom for being post WWII & the invention & mass acceptance of the Television, the 90's saw a major boom for being post Cold War & the invention and mass acceptance of the Internet. I see the 00's & 10's as a modern day 60's & 70's in comparison. But like you said, America from a geopolitical standpoint was in a good position, but domestically with strife between social rights activists & oppressors, lack of egalitarianism, school integration, the Red Scare, among other things, the 50's certainly weren't this glorious decade that people made it out to be. No decade is perfect, some decades may be better than others on certain core traits, but that doesn't mean they're better on other traits.

It seems people like to mention the current political strife we have now and the fact that the U.S place in geopolitics has deteriorated within the last 15 years. But people never focus on the positives, like the major technological advancements we have made, the advancements within the realm of science, the television shows we have today (which some have suggested are of a new high quality of their own class), epic blockbuster movies that are able to make CGI so realistic you could of sworn who/it was there, etc. There's always room for improvement, and I perfectly accept that especially in relation to the current decade, but I also understand that there is a lot of positives from this decade as well.

Would the 1980's be a modern day 1950's too?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/12/17 at 10:41 am

Would the 1980's be a modern day 1950's too?

Yup I think the 80s and 90s were BOTH the modern day 50s. 80s being part 1 and 90s being part 2. Apologize if I'm decadeoloigizing. I'm just talkin eras. ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/12/17 at 10:43 am

You might want to add 80s as well.
And I definitely agree with the 00s and 10s being a modern era 60s and 70s.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/12/17 at 10:50 am

Except 2010s technology thus far has been unimpressive to say the least. Apple has become a shell of its former self, basically releasing the same old device with slight tweaks, and releasing uninspired, gimmicky gadgets such as the smartwatch. VR is still in its gimmicky stages as well. Most technology right now is focused on trendy smart gadgets, apps, and social media. Not very impressive to me. Both the 90s and the 00s made greater leaps in technology.

Second of all CGI in movies is really being overused. I don't see the point in making it more realistic, when it can just be filmed without CGI. There are times when it works well, such as in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But in many of the Superhero films coming out, it's painfully obvious. I mean what's the point of making their costumes CGI (ie., Spiderman, Deadpool, etc.)?

As for television, many people keep on claiming that the 2010s are "the golden age of television". Once again I disagree with this completely. Most of my favorite shows are from before 2007ish. I find that many of the dramas coming out try way too hard to be "dark and edgy" and "epic", and also try too hard to set up the episode to follow, as opposed to developing the individual episode. Shows like The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Blacklist, etc., do not grab me at all. They just feel bland and pretentious. And comedies nowadays are just boring to me. They try to hard to be quirky, but end up being obnoxious, and I find the characters to be really dislikabe and unrelatable. I'm specifically referring to shows like The Mindy Project, Modern Family (yes I don't like that show), Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Girls, etc. Personally, I think the 90s and 00s were a far better time for T.V. There was more variety back then. You had well made dramas, but in addition, you also had great sitcoms, action shows, sci-fi, cartoons and anime, etc.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/17 at 11:06 am

Yup I think the 80s and 90s were BOTH the modern day 50s. 80s being part 1 and 90s being part 2. Apologize if I'm decadeoloigizing. I'm just talkin eras. ;D ;D ;D

1983 to like 2000/2001 is considered 'rosy' and 'peaceful'.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/12/17 at 12:19 pm

Kids born after about 1992 often confuse early '00s culture with '90s culture from my experience.  A pet peeve is all the "90s nostalgia" videos on YouTube made by dudes born well into the decade that focus on things like Pokemania and Lizzy McGuire.  The Y2K era is NOT the '90s.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/12/17 at 1:35 pm

Another one is that Generation X dominated this decade, where in reality, the Boomers still held most of the executive decisions, from CEOs to Clinton to their parents.

Musically, you were far more likely to hear Michael Bolton and Celine Dion as opposed to the Smashing Pumpkins and Alanis Morissette, just like the 1950s was all about Patti Page and Perry Como and not Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry.

Of course, there are those who not only say the '80s culture was completely dead after 1991, but the holdovers only meant the 1988/89 stuff at the beginning of the decade, where in reality, it was a gradual change. Outside of pop radio which is ALWAYS looking for that new sound/face, most were contempt with the still recent '80s artists (outside some of the outlandish ones like Winger and Poison) for most of the decade, from superstars like Michael Jackson and Madonna to film stars like Tom Cruise, Kevin Costner, and Michelle Pfeiffer to syndicated reruns of '80s shows like the Cosby Show, Miami Vice, Night Court, and Cheers. If someone was transported back to 1994, they'd be pleasantly surprised in terms of how much "80s influence" lingers as opposed to expecting a wall-to-wall '90s atmosphere, especially considering that a lot more infrastructure from the '80s, from advertising styles to signage to cars to mall layouts to store brands were intact. Even though the 2000s are better known for the nostalgia of the '80s, they don't resemble them as much as the '90s do due to simply being more removed from the source.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/12/17 at 1:50 pm

Kids born after about 1992 often confuse early '00s culture with '90s culture from my experience.  A pet peeve is all the "90s nostalgia" videos on YouTube made by dudes born well into the decade that focus on things like Pokemania and Lizzy McGuire.  The Y2K era is NOT the '90s.

Yup Yup that's so true, Chris. :)  I NEVER EVER see folks your age mention ANY anime stuff when they talk about ''90s nostalgia.'' I wonder why... ::) ::) ::)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/12/17 at 1:58 pm

Agreed with all of you. It was pretty much a Millennial era thing. Although SM and DBZ had already arrived prior to the late 90s, they were still less known until Pokemon appeared.

Everyone thinks the 90s were still around 2004, for no apparent reason. It's still going, IIRC.
Yeah, that's pretty much been debunked. They were over by Fall 1999.

Yeah, I see this often when it comes to 90s culture. It was actually mixed looking at photos from that time.

I'm with the domestic terrorism, but wasn't those things in the bold more of the 80s? The crime rate in the 90s was in truth declining rapidly after those things peaked.

Not just guys, but even girls as well. You won't believe how many 90s kid surveys/tags I watched and many of the folks in the videos would mostly list things from either the Y2K era or the early 00s.

Another one is that Generation X dominated this decade, where in reality, the Boomers still held most of the executive decisions, from CEOs to Clinton to their parents.

Musically, you were far more likely to hear Michael Bolton and Celine Dion as opposed to the Smashing Pumpkins and Alanis Morissette, just like the 1950s was all about Patti Page and Perry Como and not Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry.

Of course, there are those who not only say the '80s culture was completely dead after 1991, but the holdovers only meant the 1988/89 stuff at the beginning of the decade, where in reality, it was a gradual change. Outside of pop radio which is ALWAYS looking for that new sound/face, most were contempt with the still recent '80s artists (outside some of the outlandish ones like Winger and Poison) for most of the decade, from superstars like Michael Jackson and Madonna to film stars like Tom Cruise, Kevin Costner, and Michelle Pfeiffer to syndicated reruns of '80s shows like the Cosby Show, Miami Vice, Night Court, and Cheers. If someone was transported back to 1994, they'd be pleasantly surprised in terms of how much "80s influence" lingers as opposed to expecting a wall-to-wall '90s atmosphere, especially considering that a lot more infrastructure from the '80s, from advertising styles to signage to cars to mall layouts to store brands were intact. Even though the 2000s are better known for the nostalgia of the '80s, they don't resemble them as much as the '90s do due to simply being more removed from the source.
As a matter of fact, you're right. I think that comes from that they were dominating Grunge and Gangsta Rap which were assumed to be huge; however in reality, they were NOT at all considering Grunge was only popular for a few years and Gangsta Rap was immediately opposed due to its themes. It was really adult complementary. Moreover, the only people who were fans of those genres were mainly adolescents and college folks which Generation X was during that time, and who definitely don't represent the majority of the population.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/17 at 3:29 pm

I listened to Vanilla Ice at about after 1990.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/12/17 at 10:04 pm

I agree. The 80's definitely bled into the 90's more than people realize. It's common to think Nirvana totally killed the decade off once 1991 rolled around but really a lot of the things established in the 80's survived well into the 90's up until the late 20th century vibe started to die off and was replaced with the 21st century. The haircuts, clothing fits, cinematic styles, technology, graphic design and even some of the music of the 90's was very similar to what was going on in the 80's. It was very fluid.

I'm with the domestic terrorism, but wasn't those things in the bold more of the 80s? The crime rate in the 90s was in truth declining rapidly after those things peaked.

1995-onward is when those things started to decline. The early-mid 90's were definitely times full of violent crime and gun deaths.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/13/17 at 2:53 am

I've also recently seen people label 2000-2006(sorry Jordan, as I said before, teens don't know the difference between early and mid 00s :P) as a happier and "simpler" time, when with the exception of 2000 and early-mid 2001, it was ANYTHING but (Iraq War, a mini-Recession, 9/11, looming cloud of terrorism, Bush-era politics, etc.)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/13/17 at 6:25 am

"It was a carefree time, and there was no danger." Anyone remember the 1995 Oklahoma bombing?

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 01/13/17 at 8:55 am

They also believe that grunge killed hair metal in 1991.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 01/13/17 at 4:56 pm

One of the biggest misconceptions that you will hear of is that the 90's was a fine and dandy time without any problems and then when 9/11 happened everything became about terrorism, pessimism, and Justin Bieber.

Meanwhile, throughout the decade.....

http://s-usih.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/lariots.jpeg

http://www.serendipity.li/waco/tanks1.jpg

http://interactives.ap.org/2015/oklahoma-city-bombing/panel/images/okla-building.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/600x315/e6/11/88/e6118882948e8bea3cde82a8ac621d04.jpg

http://image.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width620/img/special_impact/photo/thurston1jpg-dce05edcb0d29de8.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c1/a1/6f/c1a16fc3375f47dc794d7c691673fe91.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 01/13/17 at 5:04 pm

They also believe that grunge killed hair metal in 1991.

Oh yeah, I've heard this too.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/13/17 at 6:15 pm

That teen pop dominated the late 90s when it only really dominated 1999.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/13/17 at 6:17 pm

I think the 80s and 90s were the modern day 1920s. It was very go go crazy and party. The 2010s are the modern day 1930s. I have no clue what the 00s would be.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/13/17 at 7:00 pm

I think the '80s has closer parallels to the '50s and the '90s were more like the '60s, minus Vietnam.  Like the '50s, the '80s were a relatively conformist decade and weren't really known for their rebelliousness.  Like the '60s, the '90s saw society transition into a more liberal, individualistic culture.  Both the '60s and the '90s also took a few years into their respective decades to really develop their culture.  The early 1960s weren't that much different culturally from the 1950s and the early 1990s had a lot of cultural ties to the 1980s.  Both the '60s and the '90s were periods of rapid economic growth and prosperity, but there was also a lot of angst in the culture.  Both the '60s and the '90s were succeeded by decades where things seemed to be going downhill and people began losing faith in the American dream (this happened in the 1970s and again in the 2000s).

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 01/13/17 at 7:13 pm

I think the '80s has closer parallels to the '50s and the '90s were more like the '60s, minus Vietnam.  Like the '50s, the '80s were a relatively conformist decade and weren't really known for their rebelliousness.  Like the '60s, the '90s saw society transition into a more liberal, individualistic culture.  Both the '60s and the '90s also took a few years into their respective decades to really develop their culture.  The early 1960s weren't that much different culturally from the 1950s and the early 1990s had a lot of cultural ties to the 1980s.  Both the '60s and the '90s were periods of rapid economic growth and prosperity, but there was also a lot of angst in the culture.  Both the '60s and the '90s were succeeded by decades where things seemed to be going downhill and people began losing faith in the American dream (this happened in the 1970s and again in the 2000s).

I'd actually agree with this big time.

The 60's had a nonconformist counterculture (hippies, late wave beatniks)
The 90's also had a nonconformist counterculture (grunge)

However, the rebelliousness in the late 70's and 80's existed with punk and new wave. I would not really say that the 80's were conformist.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 01/13/17 at 7:19 pm

That teen pop dominated the late 90s when it only really dominated 1999.

Teen pop started to dominate later on in 1998 with the release of Britney Spears' "Baby One More Time".

I would consider the period of Summer 1996 - Summer 1998 as being the late 90's (basically like the pre-Y2K era - this is sort of like a bridge between peak 90's culture and the Y2K age. Elements for the Y2K age progressively formed throughout this time frame), and Autumn 1998 - Summer 2001 (ending with 9/11) as being the Y2K age.

Autumn 1991-Summer 1993: Early 90's
Autumn 1993-Spring 1996: Peak 90's
Summer 1996-Summer 1998: Late 90's
Autumn 1998-Summer 2001: Y2K Age

Written By: bchris02 on 01/13/17 at 7:31 pm

I'd actually agree with this big time.

The 60's had a nonconformist counterculture (hippies, late wave beatniks)
The 90's also had a nonconformist counterculture (grunge)

However, the rebelliousness in the late 70's and 80's existed with punk and new wave. I would not really say that the 80's were conformist.

The '50s had beat culture as well which as the "rebellious culture" of the time.  I would say the punk influence during the '80s parallels the beat culture of the '50s.  Rebelliousness and individualism was less mainstream than it became the following decade, but it was still there.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/13/17 at 11:09 pm

That right there is a huge misconception of the 80's. Aside from the very early part of the decade, the 80's were a very individualistic and rebellious time. Just as much as the 90's.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/13/17 at 11:14 pm

That right there is a huge misconception of the 80's. Aside from the very early part of the decade, the 80's were a very individualistic and rebellious time. Just as much as the 90's.

The 80s and 90s were both like a modern 1920s. Do you agree?

Written By: 2001 on 01/13/17 at 11:18 pm

1990-1995 was too cynical to be 1920s. 1980s comes pretty close though, but of course there's always going to be some important differences.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/13/17 at 11:44 pm

All three periods were both very prosperous times but I don't know if I can really compare the 80s and 90s with the 20s. I'd have to research the 20s a little bit more.

1990-1995 was too cynical to be 1920s. 1980s comes pretty close though, but of course there's always going to be some important differences.

I was just thinking about how we're talking about both the 80's and 90's being a modern 20's and I've had this idea in my head that they're kinda like two sides of the same coin. The whole cynical nature being one of the aspects as to why they're a different side. Both decades had loose/baggy clothes, flannel, loud punk rock music and skateboarding as a part of the culture but in the 80's they wore brighter colors and tried to be a bit more outlandish. The 90's had the same things but they wore 70's earth tones and toned down a bit of the outlandishness. I'd sum it up like this: if the 80's and 90's were movies, the 80's would be more light-earthed while the 90's would be the sad angsty sequel. Like New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. The same series of movies with the same style of story telling and both equal shares of amazing quality but a fairly different mood and new things to offer.

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 12:06 am

All three periods were both very prosperous times but I don't know if I can really compare the 80s and 90s with the 20s. I'd have to research the 20s a little bit more.

I was just thinking about how we're talking about both the 80's and 90's being a modern 20's and I've had this idea in my head that they're kinda like two sides of the same coin. The whole cynical nature being one of the aspects as to why they're a different side. Both decades had loose/baggy clothes, flannel, loud punk rock music and skateboarding as a part of the culture but in the 80's they wore brighter colors and tried to be a bit more outlandish. The 90's had the same things but they wore 70's earth tones and toned down a bit of the outlandishness. I'd sum it up like this: if the 80's and 90's were movies, the 80's would be more light-earthed while the 90's would be the sad angsty sequel. Like New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. The same series of movies with the same style of story telling and both equal shares of amazing quality but a fairly different mood and new things to offer.

Empire Strikes Back was clearly the superior movie, so I agree this is an apt comparison :-X

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/17 at 12:08 am

Empire Strikes Back was clearly the superior movie, so I agree this is an apt comparison :-X

Well yeah, it was but in concerning the actual decades I think the 80's (from 1982-1989) and 90's (from 1990-1995) were equally as good as each other. 😛 😛 😛

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 12:14 am

Well yeah, it was but in concerning the actual decades I think the 80's (from 1982-1989) and 90's (from 1990-1995) were equally as good as each other. 😛 😛 😛

I'm saying the '90s are superior to the '80s. :-X

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/17 at 12:17 am

I'm saying the '90s are superior to the '80s. :-X

I know and I'm saying that the 90's and 80's are equal amounts of good. 💀 😺 👵 👼 🤰 🕺 💃 😜

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 12:36 am

I know and I'm saying that the 90's and 80's are equal amounts of good. 💀 😺 👵 👼 🤰 🕺 💃 😜

✋🖐🖐 you're not Gen Z enough for emojis.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/17 at 12:39 am

✋🖐🖐 you're not Gen Z enough for emojis.

That's because I am Gen X! 😒🖕 lol

I just discovered how to use these a few days ago. This is hilarious!

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 12:42 am

That's because I am Gen X! 😒🖕 lol

I just discovered how to use these a few days ago. This is hilarious!

✋✋✋✋✋ at this rate you'll be a bigger millennial than me. Mess! 💥 Where's your Instagram account? 👀

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/17 at 12:45 am

✋✋✋✋✋ at this rate you'll be a bigger millennial than me. Mess! Where's your Instagram account? 👀

Stop it! I am not a millennial! Never! 👎 😠 🖕 

No, sorry, I'm too cool for Instagram. I only use LiveJournal.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/17 at 12:48 am

The 80's were very 'edgy'.  :(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/17 at 12:49 am

The 80's were very 'edgy'.  :(

I agree! They were a very edgy time but it was a weird happy edge, not some sad edge like, sad, the faux-emo 2000's tried to have.

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 12:51 am

This generational appropriation cannot be allowed to stand. 😡😡

You use our symbols but don't appreciate our generation. 👁 ☕️ Not even a Tumblr account? Delete yourself. 👏

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/17 at 12:52 am

The 1980's was the original in the horror series. The 1990's was the sequel that almost got there, but didn't quite get praised by the critics like the original, but still made enough money at the boxoffice so is pitied as 'great'. Poor 1990's, it was the less pretty sister. At least you're prettier than the 00's decade! Part 3 was a disaster! The 00's being such a bad installment saved you from being forgotten, or hated. :\'(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/17 at 12:55 am

This generational appropriation cannot be allowed to stand. 😡😡

You use our symbols but don't appreciate our generation. 👁 ☕️ Not even a Tumblr account? Delete yourself. 👏

I'll open a tumblr once I get my dimple piercings.

The 1980's was the original in the horror series. The 1990's was the sequel that almost got there, but didn't, but still made enough money at the boxoffice so is pitied as 'great'. Poor 1990's, it was the less pretty sister. At least you're prettier than the 00's decade!  :\'(

I agree! The 00's are the ugly troll that lives under the bridge. Nobody wants it and it's only to be accompanied by it's other troll sibling, the 2010's.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/17 at 12:57 am

I'll open a tumblr once I get my dimple piercings.

I agree! The 00's are the ugly troll that lives under the bridge. Nobody wants it and it's only to be accompanied by it's other troll sibling, the 2010's.

Part 4 is straight to video. :.ducks:.

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 1:00 am

ffffffffff 😡

You've turned the pink one into a red one. And not the hair spray decade calling others the ugly little sister!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/17 at 1:04 am

ffffffffff 😡

You've turned the pink one into a red one. And not the hair spray decade calling others the ugly little sister!

God save us all!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/17 at 1:04 am

Part 4 is never made it to video! 😜

ffffffffff 😡

I always knew you were a communist!

Written By: Howard on 01/14/17 at 7:08 am

One of the biggest misconceptions that you will hear of is that the 90's was a fine and dandy time without any problems and then when 9/11 happened everything became about terrorism, pessimism, and Justin Bieber.

Meanwhile, throughout the decade.....

http://s-usih.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/lariots.jpeg

http://www.serendipity.li/waco/tanks1.jpg

http://interactives.ap.org/2015/oklahoma-city-bombing/panel/images/okla-building.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/600x315/e6/11/88/e6118882948e8bea3cde82a8ac621d04.jpg

http://image.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width620/img/special_impact/photo/thurston1jpg-dce05edcb0d29de8.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c1/a1/6f/c1a16fc3375f47dc794d7c691673fe91.jpg

Wow!  :o

Written By: Howard on 01/14/17 at 7:10 am

What's Live Journal? ???

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/17 at 7:51 am

Preach brother.

Born 1965-1985 = Gen X!!!
Born 1986-2005 = Millennial retards who I don't like!!!!!

Just kidding. ;)

Written By: 2001 on 01/14/17 at 9:00 am

I always knew you were a communist!

Did I ever deny it?

Preach brother.

Born 1965-1986 = Gen X!!!
Born 1987-1994 = Gen Alpha
Born 1995+ = Millennial retards who I don't like!!!!!

Just kidding. ;)

Fixed 💅

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/14/17 at 11:50 am

Yeah, that's pretty much been debunked. They were over by Fall 1999.

To me, late 90s culture was over around mid 2000. 2000s culture was already there by the 2000-2001 school year, in which everyone forgot at the time.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/14/17 at 11:50 am

I don't see why everyone says the 90s ended in 2004, when they REALLY ended around 2006. We even have a dossier on this forum to prove it!

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1443826332.shtml

For one, 90s shows like Malcolm in the Middle, That 70s Show, Charmed, and Will & Grace ended that year. Yes, I know Malcolm is from 2000, but let's be honest, the early 2000s are essentially the SAME thing as the 90s. BuzzFeed and Tumblr told me so!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/14/17 at 12:03 pm

I don't see why everyone says the 90s ended in 2004, when they REALLY ended around 2006 (for one, late 90s shows like That 70s Show, Charmed, and Will & Grace ended).

We even have a dossier on this forum to prove it!

Late 90s culture wasn't really around until 2006. It was rather more 2000 or 2001, since George W. Bush kinda took it away from everybody. Even though early (and mid) 2000s culture is similar to those from late 1998 and 1999, it was more distant from the late 90s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/17 at 9:31 pm

What's Live Journal? ???

A prehistoric social media site.

I don't see why everyone says the 90s ended in 2004, when they REALLY ended around 2006. We even have a dossier on this forum to prove it!

For one, 90s shows like Malcolm in the Middle, That 70s Show, Charmed, and Will & Grace ended that year. Yes, I know Malcolm is from 2000, but let's be honest, the early 2000s are essentially the SAME thing as the 90s. BuzzFeed and Tumblr told me so!

Remember the 90's when Fall Out Boy told us to Dance, Dance and Hawthorne Heights informed us that Ohio is for Lovers? I do!!!!!

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 01/14/17 at 10:10 pm

I listened to Vanilla Ice at about after 1990.

Remember when guys wore their hair like Vanilla Ice in 1991?

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/15/17 at 2:50 pm

A prehistoric social media site.

Funny enough, it's still used by some of the kids these days.

Written By: 2001 on 01/15/17 at 2:51 pm

Funny enough, it's still used by some of the kids these days.

And by George R. R Martin to update us on the progress of that book he'll never finish.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/17 at 2:53 pm

Remember when guys wore their hair like Vanilla Ice in 1991?

Yes I do in fact remember those hairstyles.

Written By: XYkid on 01/16/17 at 5:45 am

This should explain why the 80s and 90s have similarities to the 1920s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss–Howe_generational_theory

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/16/17 at 9:05 am

I think the 80s and 90s were the modern day 1920s. It was very go go crazy and party. The 2010s are the modern day 1930s. I have no clue what the 00s would be.

I would say the 2000's were a modern day 1920's. Here why using comparisons:

1920's: Massive economic boom fueled by the acceptance of the automobile

2000's: Massive economic boom fueled by the acceptance of the internet

1920's: America continues living post WWI

2000's: America continues living post Cold War

1920's: Corrupt Presidents, Harding & Coolidge

2000's Corrupt President, Bush Jr.

1920's Suply-Side Economics in its earliest form

2000's: Neo Supply-Side Economics

1920's: The Red Scare

2000's: Post 9/11 Paranoia

1920's: Soviet Union Phobia begins

2000's: Chinese Phobia begins

1920's: Jazz & Blues are popular with youth (The GI Generation, Hero Type)

2000's: Rap & Alternative are popular with youth (The Millennial Generation, Hero Type)

1920's: Prosperity Ended drastically with the Stock Market Crash in 1929

2000's: Prosperity Ended drastically with the Bankruptcy of Lehman Bros. in 2008

1920's: Lack of economic regulations led to the Great Depression in the 30's

2000's: Lack of economic regulations led to the Great Recession in the 10's

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/16/17 at 9:58 am

Born 1965-1981 = Gen X!!!
Born 1981-1994 = Millennial
Born 1995-2000 = Gen Y/Z Cusps
Born 2001-2002 = Only Gen Z babies that I like!
Born 2003-2005 = Gen Z retards who I don't like!!!!!

Fixed

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/18/17 at 11:39 pm

This is the worst! Look at this Reddit page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/90sdesign/comments/37q5iz/socal_surfwear/

These aren't real people posting, right? They have to be robots because I can't believe someone out there actually thinks funny pant designs and slang terms like "rad" are 90's!?!? WTF! Sure, early 90's but the rest of the decade...? No! I wonder what they'd think if you told them that the posted ad is actually from 1985, you know, the heart of the 80's. Google more "Socal Surfwear" stuff to find #lolfunnidesignzluvduh90s everywhere.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1047xUIi3HQnmw/giphy.gif

I know a lot of designs among other things from the 80's really bled into the 90's but I don't think it's hard to recognize distinct and definitive 80's trends as... well, 80's...

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/27/17 at 9:27 am

Another myth is that music of the late 90s especially 1999 was all Teen Pop when it clearly wasn't. There was so much variety from Latin, Hip-Hop, R&B, Adult Contemporary, and Pop Punk (Rock). I can't understand why some people believe that.

Preach brother.

Born 1961-1976 = Gen X!!!
Born 1977-1995 = Millennials!!!!

Fixed!  ;)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/27/17 at 4:57 pm

Another myth is that music of the late 90s especially 1999 was all Teen Pop when it clearly wasn't. There was so much variety from Latin, Hip-Hop, R&B, Adult Contemporary, and Pop Punk (Rock). I can't understand why some people believe that.

Well to be honest, looking at the Top-40 charts of 1999, I can understand why some people would be under that impression. In 1999, you had the likes of Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys and Destiny's Child peaking at #1 on the charts. In fact, Britney Spears' "Baby One More Time..." achieved the highest chart position in 1999, and that's for all of the Top-40 charts around the world. I agree that there was more variety in music at the time, but I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they were under the impression that 1999 was all Teen Pop.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/30/17 at 4:41 pm

Well to be honest, looking at the Top-40 charts of 1999, I can understand why some people would be under that impression. In 1999, you had the likes of Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys and Destiny's Child peaking at #1 on the charts. In fact, Britney Spears' "Baby One More Time..." achieved the highest chart position in 1999, and that's for all of the Top-40 charts around the world. I agree that there was more variety in music at the time, but I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they were under the impression that 1999 was all Teen Pop.
I understand that, but those artists weren't the only ones played on the radio. There were many others as well. OTT, the music of the late 90s was generally great.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/01/17 at 4:11 pm

One other misconception is that 90s rap/hip-hop was all gangsta when that is far from the truth. There were all types ranging from party rap and political rap to personal rap and rap about worldwide issues. I actually made a thread about it sometime ago and unfortunately, it didn't get many responses. You all are welcome to check it out though.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=50863.0

Written By: 80sfan on 02/09/17 at 7:00 am

That everyone listened to Mariah Carey! She was highly popular, but not everyone was a fan.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/16/17 at 6:34 pm

Here are some 20's vs 90's comparisons

1920's: Ended with the Stock Market Crash
1990's: Ended with 9/11

1920's: Wall Street Bombing
1990's: Oklahoma City Bombing or WTC Bombing in 1993

1920's: Bath School disaster
1990's: Columbine shooting

1920's: Red Scare
1990's: Gang violence scare

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/16/17 at 11:55 pm

Here are some 20's vs 90's comparisons

1920's: Ended with the Stock Market Crash
1990's: Ended with 9/11

9/11 occurred in September 2001, not 1999.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/17 at 7:15 am

That is correct.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/17/17 at 3:27 pm

I think he meant culturally. But yeah, you are right!

Written By: 80sfan on 02/17/17 at 3:35 pm

Even though teen pop was not the only music in 1999, in the mainstream, I'd say 40-45% of it was.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/17/17 at 11:36 pm

I gotta say, as much as I love 1999: 1989 > 1999

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/18/17 at 4:19 pm

As someone born in 1999 myself, I agree.  ;D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/18/17 at 4:21 pm

I think he meant culturally. But yeah, you are right!

I meant culturally. You are right about your prediction.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/18/17 at 4:24 pm

I remember I started seeing DVD commercials a lot in 1999. I remember maybe there were some commercials in 1998, but they became really prominent in 1999/2000.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/17 at 10:20 pm

I meant culturally. 1989 was such a cool year! 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/18/17 at 11:15 pm

Yes, I would pick 1989 over 1999, but 1989, to me, was one of the more bland years (even though it wasn't that bland) of the 1980's.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/18/17 at 11:18 pm

As someone born in 1999 myself, I agree.  ;D

I agree as well. For me personally, 1989 will always be a better year culturally than 1999, simply due to the fact that "Epic" by Faith No More was released that year. ;)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/17 at 11:27 pm

Yes, I would pick 1989 over 1999, but 1989, to me, was one of the more bland years (even though it wasn't that bland) of the 1980's.

Yeah, compared to monsters like 1985 and 1986 it might seem bland but it's still one of my all time favorite years! 8)

I agree as well. For me personally, 1989 will always be a better year culturally than 1999, simply due to the fact that "Epic" by Faith No More was released that year. ;)

Yes!!! The entire Real Thing album is so good!

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/19/17 at 12:49 pm

1989 wasn't xtreme enough as 1999. But besides that 1989 seemed like a cool year.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/17 at 2:44 pm

A cool year for clothes.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/19/17 at 10:35 pm

1989 wasn't xtreme enough as 1999. But besides that 1989 seemed like a cool year.

This isn't Xtreme...?

http://vintageskateboardmagazines.com/Images/Books%201980/skateboard_skills_back.jpg

http://cineplex.media.baselineresearch.com/images/75936/75936_full.jpg

http://skately.com/img/library/print/large/swatch-impact-tour-1988.jpg

wWCmNGFnBaU

Pretty Xtreme! if you ask me! 8)

(yes, some of the stuff is 1988 but it's stuff that bled into 1989. Still late 80's.)

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/20/17 at 9:20 am

This isn't Xtreme...?

http://vintageskateboardmagazines.com/Images/Books%201980/skateboard_skills_back.jpg

http://cineplex.media.baselineresearch.com/images/75936/75936_full.jpg

http://skately.com/img/library/print/large/swatch-impact-tour-1988.jpg

wWCmNGFnBaU

Pretty Xtreme! if you ask me! 8)

(yes, some of the stuff is 1988 but it's stuff that bled into 1989. Still late 80's.)

............................................................Dang 1989 was too Xtreme.  :-\\  They probably had bedrooms with nothing but skateboards and dirt bikes.  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/20/17 at 9:23 pm

............................................................Dang 1989 was too Xtreme.  :-\\  They probably had bedrooms with nothing but skateboards and dirt bikes.  :o

Damn, right! The mid-late 80's rival the Xtreme of the late 90's/early 00's. 8)

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/imagesV2/Magazine/Covers/COVERS_THRASHER/1985/TH8511.jpg

http://skately.com/img/library/print/large/santa-cruz-skateboards-jeff-grosso-1985.jpg

http://bonesbrigade.com/content/posts/thumbs/screen-shot-2012-06-19-at-13627-pm.png_630x442.jpg

Going back to 1985 with some of these photos! What an Xtreme! decade the 80's were! 8)

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/20/17 at 11:08 pm

A common misconception about the 90s is that teen pop was exclusively a late 90s thing.

Ace of Base was a teen pop band that was big around the early-to-mid 90s, and I can't really find a stylistic difference between them and later stuff like Aqua and the Spice Girls. :P

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/21/17 at 3:26 am

A common misconception about the 90s is that teen pop was exclusively a late 90s thing.

Ace of Base was a teen pop band that was big around the early-to-mid 90s, and I can't really find a stylistic difference between them and later stuff like Aqua and the Spice Girls. :P

Ace of Base was Eurodance not teen pop.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/27/17 at 1:30 am

Ace of Base was Eurodance not teen pop.

Is there a difference? ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/27/17 at 10:30 am

I'd rather say something like this:
1992 > 1989/1999

Early 90s ftw!!

Written By: exodus08 on 02/27/17 at 10:39 am

Eurodance aka Adult club music and teen pop. I'm sure  there's a difference.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/27/17 at 1:54 pm

Well, most 90s songs (all the way from 1990-1999) were Eurodance inspired songs.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/16/17 at 12:58 pm

Looking at the technology thread, most people assumed that the 90s were all high tech; however, with mach!ne_he@d providing the facts, it turns out that wasn't the case. It was truly a slow transition, and the availability of technology didn't begin to be over 50% until sometime in the 00s.

Here's the thread if people want to check it out again.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=55284.msg3566380#msg3566380

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/16/17 at 1:50 pm

Oh, and another misconception about the 1990s I have noticed is some people think that as soon as Clinton became president, that meant that the G.I's reign in politics was over; however, that's clearly not even true. The only positions that Boomers held for some time were President and VP. The rest of the political spectrum were either GIs or the Silents.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 06/16/17 at 11:29 pm

Looking at the technology thread, most people assumed that the 90s were all high tech; however, with mach!ne_he@d providing the facts, it turns out that wasn't the case. It was truly a slow transition, and the availability of technology didn't begin to be over 50% until sometime in the 00s.

mach!ne_he@d is right to point out that the internet and cell phones weren't nearly as big a part of people's lives in the 90s as they became in the 2000s, and that just because these things broke into the mainstream in the 90s doesn't mean they were really common. However, technology like internet and cell phones was a huge part of 90s culture, especially the later 90s, even if people weren't using it much at that time. The internet, cell phones, advances in video game hardware, sleeker TV sets and entertainment centers for organizing one's TV, VCR, cable box, answering machine with caller ID etc. were obvious signs of changing times and a source of both excitement and anxiety.

So while the two big iconic technologies that broke out in the 90s, internet and cell phones, weren't a major factor in everyday life, they were already a factor in people's minds and in the spirit of the times. This is why some people assume people must have been using them a lot in the 90s, because the sensation they caused was really noticeable and is a part of popular memory.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/18/17 at 5:20 am

mach!ne_he@d is right to point out that the internet and cell phones weren't nearly as big a part of people's lives in the 90s as they became in the 2000s, and that just because these things broke into the mainstream in the 90s doesn't mean they were really common. However, technology like internet and cell phones was a huge part of 90s culture, especially the later 90s, even if people weren't using it much at that time. The internet, cell phones, advances in video game hardware, sleeker TV sets and entertainment centers for organizing one's TV, VCR, cable box, answering machine with caller ID etc. were obvious signs of changing times and a source of both excitement and anxiety.

So while the two big iconic technologies that broke out in the 90s, internet and cell phones, weren't a major factor in everyday life, they were already a factor in people's minds and in the spirit of the times. This is why some people assume people must have been using them a lot in the 90s, because the sensation they caused was really noticeable and is a part of popular memory.

This is very true. The internet and cell phones didn't really BEGIN its blitzkrieg until 98. In terms of everyday life, technology FELT flatlined most of the 90s if you ask me (video games were an exception).

Written By: Brian06 on 06/18/17 at 6:11 pm

Tech is all relative. For example as a 7 year old in 1994, I thought a color printer and a CD-ROM was "high tech". In the 1960s color TV was probably considered "high tech". In 2037 today will be seen a laughably primitive. People always think the present is special but it's just another moment in time.  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/18/17 at 9:41 pm

mach!ne_he@d is right to point out that the internet and cell phones weren't nearly as big a part of people's lives in the 90s as they became in the 2000s, and that just because these things broke into the mainstream in the 90s doesn't mean they were really common. However, technology like internet and cell phones was a huge part of the 90s culture, especially the later 90s, even if people weren't using it much at that time. The internet, cell phones, advances in video game hardware, sleeker TV sets and entertainment centers for organizing one's TV, VCR, cable box, answering machine with caller ID etc. were obvious signs of changing times and a source of both excitement and anxiety.

So while the two big iconic technologies that broke out in the 90s, internet and cell phones, weren't a major factor in everyday life, they were already a factor in people's minds and in the spirit of the times. This is why some people assume people must have been using them a lot in the 90s because the sensation they caused was really noticeable and is a part of popular memory.
Yeah, you're right. I can understand why some people thought that since they were aware of them at the time; however, you're still correct that they were not common as well.

Tech is all relative. For example as a 7-year-old in 1994, I thought a color printer and a CD-ROM was "high tech". In the 1960s color TV was probably considered "high tech". In 2037 today will be seen a laughably primitive. People always think the present is special but it's just another moment in time.  ;D
Yeah, you're right that tech is all relative, and I agree that today will be laughable ;D; however, what mach!ne_he@d was getting at is that some people thought because technology was increasingly becoming available at that time, it was all high tech despite stats showing that the usage/ownership were all under 40-50%.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/18/17 at 10:44 pm

This has probably already been mentioned, but the Internet wasn't a dominant force in our lives, despite the fact that most people became familiar with it in the '90s.  It was very slow and you had to dial in to even get online.  People generally got online, checked their email, maybe browsed some news sites and they disconnected.  You had your geeks and enthusiasts who were into things like BBS services, chat rooms, etc but for most people, the Internet was the kind of thing that was nice to have but not really a necessity.

Another thing is that grunge and hip-hop tends to be the defining '90s genres in terms of nostalgic value.  They were a big part of the decade, but the '90s were probably one of the most diverse decades ever for music.  R&B, ballads, and eurodance was big then as well.  I also think the '90s were the last golden age for country music. Country had a distinct sound that decade that was different from the 70s-80s sound and also nothing like the pop country that came afterwards.  I like very little country post 2000.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/19/17 at 3:30 pm

This has probably already been mentioned, but the Internet wasn't a dominant force in our lives, despite the fact that most people became familiar with it in the '90s.  It was very slow and you had to dial in to even get online.  People generally got online, checked their email, maybe browsed some news sites and they disconnected.  You had your geeks and enthusiasts who were into things like BBS services, chat rooms, etc but for most people, the Internet was the kind of thing that was nice to have but not really a necessity.

Another thing is that grunge and hip-hop tends to be the defining '90s genres in terms of nostalgic value.  They were a big part of the decade, but the '90s were probably one of the most diverse decades ever for music.  R&B, ballads, and eurodance was big then as well.  I also think the '90s were the last golden age for country music. Country had a distinct sound that decade that was different from the 70s-80s sound and also nothing like the pop country that came afterwards.  I like very little country post 2000.
Yeah, I agree! Some people seem to overestimate the impact the internet had despite that they were aware of it. It didn't even become a necessity until sometime in the 00s.

This is something i wish some people would realize. There were so many choices of msuic to listen considiering that not everyone lisnted to rap or even grunge during that time. In fact, if one were to check out the charts thotuhgout the decade, there was very little rap or gunrgae on there.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/19/17 at 10:52 pm

That people wore flashy neon colors. I don't get this sh!t. Why do some young kids think of 70's fashions as 80's and 80's fashions as 90's?

Written By: bchris02 on 06/19/17 at 11:12 pm

Yeah, I agree! Some people seem to overestimate the impact the internet had despite that they were aware of it. It didn't even become a necessity until sometime in the 00s.

This is something i wish some people would realize. There were so many choices of msuic to listen considiering that not everyone lisnted to rap or even grunge during that time. In fact, if one were to check out the charts thotuhgout the decade, there was very little rap or gunrgae on there.

I agree completely.

Internet became a necessity I would say around 2005.  It had been building up to that for a while.  2005 was around the time most people who weren't tech savvy switched from dial-up to high speed.  In the early '00s, broadband had become available but it was typically used by wealthier people and tech enthusiasts while most people still used dial-up.  I didn't get broadband until early 2005, but most people I knew started getting it around the time of the 2002-03 school year.

And in terms of hip-hop in the '90s, it wasn't that huge in Top 40.  It had a presence, don't get me wrong, but the genres were highly varied.  In the 2000s, hip-hop began to dominate the charts.  That started with Eminem's Marshal Mathers LP in my opinion.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/20/17 at 12:06 am

I agree completely.

Internet became a necessity I would say around 2005.  It had been building up to that for a while.  2005 was around the time most people who weren't tech savvy switched from dial-up to high speed.  In the early '00s, broadband had become available but it was typically used by wealthier people and tech enthusiasts while most people still used dial-up.  I didn't get broadband until early 2005, but most people I knew started getting it around the time of the 2002-03 school year.

And in terms of hip-hop in the '90s, it wasn't that huge in Top 40.  It had a presence, don't get me wrong, but the genres were highly varied.  In the 2000s, hip-hop began to dominate the charts.  That started with Eminem's Marshal Mathers LP in my opinion.

Yeah when you analyze how the public perceived the internet for much of the 90's, it was more of expensive luxury. It didn't start to become a viable option for most people until 1996/1997. Even then it took until the mid 00's for the internet to become a necessity. Do you agree that the internet's rising popularity in the 90's & 00's was similar to the Television's rising popularity in the 50's & 60's?

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/20/17 at 12:11 am

I liked the Internet of 2004-2011, aka the "Web 2.0" era. To me, it hit the sweet spot between accessibility while retaining the certain "niche" creative factor of the Web 1.0 era.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/20/17 at 1:36 am

Yeah when you analyze how the public perceived the internet for much of the 90's, it was more of expensive luxury. It didn't start to become a viable option for most people until 1996/1997. Even then it took until the mid 00's for the internet to become a necessity. Do you agree that the internet's rising popularity in the 90's & 00's was similar to the Television's rising popularity in the 50's & 60's?

It's comparable I would say.  In the '50s, TV was a luxury but by the end of the '60s it was a household item everyone had.  It was the same with Internet.  I went through phases through the late '90s where I didn't have it because my parents didn't think it was worth paying $20/month for.  I had Internet from 1996-1998 but I didn't have it at the end of 1998 through the very beginning of 2000.  It wasn't until 1999ish when free Internet services like Juno and Netzero started to emerge.  However, they were slow, even by dial-up standards, and you had to allow an ad banner to display which slowed your computer to a crawl.  My family had Juno and I remember finding a way around having to use their ad-banner.  Without it, it ran just like regular dial-up.  Eventually through they figured it out and it kept getting slower and slower as time went until it got to the point where I just didn't bother with it anymore.  Finally in 2001, we got real dial-up for good.  I finally got cable modem in 2005.  That was like an entirely new world at my fingertips.  A lot of people forget how limiting dial-up was.

I wonder if there is anybody still using dial-up?  Last time I checked was 2015 and apparently there were still people who used AOL.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/20/17 at 1:38 am

I liked the Internet of 2004-2011, aka the "Web 2.0" era. To me, it hit the sweet spot between accessibility while retaining the certain "niche" creative factor of the Web 1.0 era.

I would agree.  That was really the transition between Web 1.0 and Web 2.0 (which we are now fully in).  You were starting to get social media services, but the Internet still had that "wild west" vibe to it.  Not everything was near as streamlined as it is today and things seemed more creative.  I miss that era.

I've heard the dark web is still very Web 1.0ish (it's not all illegal/pornographic), but I'll never go there because some of the worst of the worst things humanity is capable of are there.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/20/17 at 1:49 am

I would agree.  That was really the transition between Web 1.0 and Web 2.0 (which we are now fully in).  You were starting to get social media services, but the Internet still had that "wild west" vibe to it.  Not everything was near as streamlined as it is today and things seemed more creative.  I miss that era.

I've heard the dark web is still very Web 1.0ish (it's not all illegal/pornographic), but I'll never go there because some of the worst of the worst things humanity is capable of are there.

I'd disagree there. I think 2004-2011 - scratch that, make that 2004-2014, - was Web 2.0, and 2014-now is Web 3.0.

Around 2014, I noticed a huge shift in tone on the Internet. Emojis were suddenly used everywhere when they had almost never been seen before that, identity politics became more of an integral part of the Internet, Internet humor seemed to become more deliberately stupid and "post-ironic", etc.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/20/17 at 1:56 am

I'd disagree there. I think 2004-2011 - scratch that, make that 2004-2014, - was Web 2.0, and 2014-now is Web 3.0.

Around 2014, I noticed a huge shift in tone on the Internet. Emojis were suddenly used everywhere when they had almost never been seen before that, identity politics became more of an integral part of the Internet, Internet humor seemed to become more deliberately stupid and "post-ironic", etc.

Very strongly disagree.  Here is an article that explains it in more detail and why we aren't at Web 3.0 yet (though the first hints of it could already be here). 

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-web-3-0-3486623

Yes, we've progressed since Web 2.0 began in the mid '00s, but that doesn't mean we've crossed over to 3.0 yet.  Late Web 1.0 sites (early 2000s) had come a long way from the BBS and CompuServe days yet it was all still Web 1.0.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/20/17 at 9:26 pm

I agree completely.

Yeah, I agree! Before 2005, internet was definetly still a luxury where it was commom for people not to be on it all day. As for me, I had dial-up up until 2006. That's the year my family finally got broodband for our house.

I agree with that. I checked out the pre-2000 top 40 charts sometime ago, and there was barely any hip-hop listed despite that my family listened to the genre in the underground.

Very strongly disagree.  Here is an article that explains it in more detail and why we aren't at Web 3.0 yet (though the first hints of it could already be here). 

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-web-3-0-3486623

Yes, we've progressed since Web 2.0 began in the mid '00s, but that doesn't mean we've crossed over to 3.0 yet.  Late Web 1.0 sites (early 2000s) had come a long way from the BBS and CompuServe days yet it was all still Web 1.0.
Do you think Web 3.0 will be here before 2020?

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/07/18 at 10:22 am

My neighbor had tons of anime tapes distributed by AnimeEigo in the early to mid 1990s. It was a 90s thing, but it was underground at first - I still remember her looking at the anime newsgroup on Usenet. Toonami started in 1997 but got anime in 1998, and that's when I started watching it. I also watched the Sonic movie in 4th grade and that was anime.

Check for new replies or respond here...