inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your First CD?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/14/17 at 10:34 pm

Pretty much every kid growing up in the '90s had that moment where they finally made the switch from buying albums on cassette tapes to buying them on CD. Some made the switch earlier than others (some even began buying CD's in the late '80s), but generally as the '90s went on, CD players became more and more affordable leading to an increased acceptance of the medium.

Like in pretty much every other facet of technology, my family was well behind everybody else when it came to CD's. My parents did not buy their first stereo with a CD player until Christmas 1997, before then it was just cassette tapes, vinyl records and even 8-tracks for us. Sometime during the week between Christmas 1997 and New Year's Day 1998, I took advantage of my parents new stereo and used my allowance money to go buy my very first audio CD.

So, what album did I choose to purchase for this momentous occasion you might ask?

http://covers1.img-themusic-world.info/000/10/10929.jpg

That's right. In a fact I've long kept hidden, my very first CD was Sevens by Garth Brooks. I will just say three things in my defense: 1) I was 10, 2) I'm white and from Georgia, and 3) It was the #1 album on the Billboard 200 chart when I brought it.

1998 was really the year when I came into my CD-buying own, though. That year I bought Americana by The Offspring and the City of Angles soundtrack (exclusively for Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls), among others. 1999 was the year when I really started to get heavily into Rock and Hip-Hop, buying albums by the likes of Creed, Green Day, Jay-Z, Limp Bizkit, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, etc.

So, what were the first albums purchased on CD for the rest of you guys. Hopefully, you selections wont be as embarrassing as mine.

Subject: Re: Your First CD?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/17 at 10:43 pm

I am always trying to remember the date, but the first CDs I purchased on the same day from the same shop were:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/Best_of_bee_gees.jpg

And a Cat Stevens Greatest Hits (but I cannot download load an image of it).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/14/17 at 10:48 pm

Interesting.

I first got a CD player (a component system add-on) in roughly early 1988.  Among my first CDs were Steely Dan's Aja (I had it on vinyl but wanted it on CD), Paul Simon's Graceland, Robert Plant's Now and Zen, and John Mellencamp's Lonesome Jubilee.  At the time I was still buying vinyl but was ready to switch to CDs.

At the urging of some coworkers I ended up joining a record club (BMG) so that I could build up my collection quickly  I'd say I had mixed results, not altogether bad.  At times I got albums I didn't want to order - but sometimes ended up thrilled with them, for instance Van Morrison's Moondance.

I seldom purchased pre-recorded cassettes, but frequently rolled my own...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/17 at 10:51 pm

I am always trying to remember the date, but the first CDs I purchased on the same day from the same shop were:

Many, many others were soon to followed.

Written By: 2001 on 01/15/17 at 12:08 am

Growing up, my car didn't have a CD player, and my bed had a built-in cassette player (kind of like this), so I didn't feel compelled to buy any CDs until 2002! My first CD was Avril Lavigne's Let Go. The kids at school picked on my for it, but then they heard Sk8er boi and ate their words ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/15/17 at 3:07 am

My first CD was this abomination:

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/ShannonNollThatsWhatImTalkingAbout_zpspdfwcjl6.jpg

"That's What I'm Talking About" by Australian one-hit wonder, Shannon Noll. The singer won Australian Idol the previous year and this was his debut album. The album finished first on the ARIA Charts and the lead single on the album, What About Me, was the highest selling single of 2004. I have never actually bought a CD before, but this was the first CD which was bought for me. I never tell people that I used to like Shannon Noll's music. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/17 at 3:19 am

btw, my son apprehended the CDs for his car, and now he prefers the radio.

Written By: Henk on 01/15/17 at 11:25 am

One of the first CDs I bought was "Raw Like Sushi" by Neneh Cherry. This must have been in 1989, when the album was just out.

I think it coincided with me purchasing a CD with recordings of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition and Ravel's Bolero, by the Concertgebouw Orchestra (conducted by Riccardo Chailly).

I know, weird combo!

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/15/17 at 2:42 pm

Joy: The Best of Apollo 100

My parents got it for me, I didn't even know about this band beforehand. Still, their music was quite enjoyable - classical music with a contemporary twist.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/17 at 2:57 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Michael_Jackson_-_Bad.png
This was I think my first CD I bought with my very own money out of my bank account in 1987.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/15/17 at 10:31 pm

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0002/183/MI0002183851.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Futures that Dawson's Creek song, "I don't want to wait."

Written By: violet_shy on 01/16/17 at 1:30 pm

My first CD was actually a CD single(Deborah Cox - Things just ain't the same) that I purchased at Strawberries( music and movies), in 1997. That was was the same year I got my first CD player...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41CSZP53A3L.jpg

Written By: bchris02 on 01/17/17 at 5:00 pm

My first CD was John Michael Montgomery's "Kickin' It Up" in 1994.  My first Top 40 CD was Sugar Ray's 14:59 in early 1999 (my parents would only let me listen to country, classical, and religious music when I was very young).

Written By: 80sfan on 01/17/17 at 7:20 pm

Growing up, my car didn't have a CD player, and my bed had a built-in cassette player (kind of like this), so I didn't feel compelled to buy any CDs until 2002! My first CD was Avril Lavigne's Let Go. The kids at school picked on my for it, but then they heard Sk8er boi and ate their words ;D

Yes!

Written By: Ripley on 02/11/17 at 10:54 pm

For me it was Will Smith's Big Willie Style. I was so excited to get this. I was a huge, huge fan of his back then. He's still a great actor but back then he was The Man! As for the first CD I actually bought, hmmm not sure.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 02/27/17 at 7:15 pm

Ace of Base's The Bridge album.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/28/17 at 11:51 am

Ace of Base's The Bridge album.

I had this album as well! Only, I had the cassette.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/17 at 2:10 am

It was today March 2nd in 1983, when compact discs and players are released for the first time in the United States and other markets. They had previously been available only in Japan.

Check for new replies or respond here...