inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remembering 1997

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/23/17 at 3:25 pm

Well, after over a year on the shelf, my much beloved, critically acclaimed "Remembering" series is back with a vengeance. Now that we are over a month-and-a-half into 2017, I thought it would be cool to take a look back in time at all of the key pop cultural artifacts from 1997 that will unbelievably be turning 20 years old this year. It was certainly a fun tour down memory lane for me, looking back fondly on one of my favorite childhood years, and I hope the rest of you will find it interesting as well.

The World Events

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/1997_Clinton_Inauguration_-_Swearing-in_Ceremony.jpg http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2343166.1441037428!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/dn083197p01dianadead.jpg

http://dolly.roslin.ed.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/DollySideView.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Comet-Hale-Bopp-29-03-1997_hires_adj.jpg

1997 was a year filled with major memorable world events. On January 20th, Bill Clinton was sworn in to start his second term as President, while just a few weeks later, scientists in Scotland unveil Dolly the cloned sheep, an event that sparks a massive worldwide debate about the ethicacy of cloning.  Also in February, the North Hollywood Shootout would injure over a dozen cops and usher in the age of police in big cities carrying military-grade weaponry. Hale-Bopp Comet (and the subsequent Heaven's Gate cult suicide) was the big topic of conversation in the Spring of '97. I still remember our whole family gathering in an open field a few miles from our house with my uncle's high powered telescope so we could see the comet pass by that March.

The Summer of '97 was largely dominated by the Andrew Cunanan manhunt, after he assassinated Gianni Versace on July 15th. Cunanan would kill himself after a standoff with police just one week later. The story that overshadowed all others in 1997 was, of course, the death of Princess Diana on August 31st. In a moment that was essentially the JFK assassination or 9/11 of the '90s, Diana's death received unprecedented media coverage all over the world and her funeral was watched by an estimated 2 billion people.

The Music

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Hanson-mmmbop.jpg http://www.clique.tv/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/notorious-big-puff-daddy.jpg

http://thatgrapejuice.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/i-believe-i-can-fly-flashback-r.-kelly-thatgrapejuice.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/Something_About_the_Way_You_Look_Tonight_%26_Candle_in_the_Wind_1997.jpg

Musically, 1997 marked the transition into the Y2K era. What was left of the original Grunge movement officially ended that year after Soundgarden broke up while Britpop (what was expected to replace Grunge as Rock's premiere genre in the late '90s) began a rapid decline following the negative press of Oasis' album "Be Here Now", leaving Rock in a state of flux. Nu Metal would ultimately pick up the slack, as Limp Bizkit made it's debut in 1997.

Hip-Hop took another huge blow in March 1997 when, just months after the death of Tupac Shakur, The Notorious B.I.G. is assassinated in Los Angeles. This is considered by many to mark the end of the Golden Age of Gangsta Rap, and the ushering in of the softer, poppier version of the genre that would dominate the 2000's. Teen Pop, meanwhile, began it's revival as the Spice Girls continued their dominance from late 1996, Hanson exploded onto the scene with the annoyingly catchy MMMBop, and The Backstreet Boys made their United States debut.

The Movies

http://content6.flixster.com/movie/11/16/88/11168888_800.jpg http://www.quartierenmouvement.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/men-in-black-52152ead75def.jpg

http://www.dustindye.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/tomorrow_never_dies_ver4_xlg.jpg http://www.titanicandco.com/titanicfilm5.jpg

1997 was certainly a big year for blockbuster films. Titanic debuted at the end of the year to become the highest grossing film of all-time at that point, but before that Men in Black continued Will Smith's growing streak of Summer hits, The Lost World: Jurassic Park wasn't as critically acclaimed as the original, but it still made a whole lot of money, and The Full Monty proved an unexpected international hit.

Of course, it wasn't all good. 1997 also gave us Batman & Robin, which is universally considered one of the worst movies ever made. Meanwhile, Liar Liar proved that Jim Carrey still had his touch, Air Force One showed that a President could also be an action hero, and the first Austin Powers movie helped launch one of the most famous comedy series of all-time.

The Video Games

http://images.techtimes.com/data/images/full/165372/goldeneye-007.png https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/63/StarFox64_N64_Game_Box.jpg

http://s.glbimg.com/po/tt2/f/original/2016/01/28/mario-kart-64.jpg http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/983/207/259.jpg

1997 was nothing short of a landmark year in the history of video gaming. As the 16-bit era officially died off, the 3D era begins in earnest with a number of transformational titles that would change the way we look at games forever. Goldeneye 007 for the Nintendo 64 brings to console gamers the First-Person Shooter, a genre which before had largely only been popular on the PC format. Mario Kart 64, meanwhile, was the first game to truly take advantage of the N64's four-player multiplayer capabilities, showing that large-scale multiplayer gaming can work on a console years before online gaming would take off in the '00s.

The PlayStation truly established itself as the dominant console in 1997 with blockbuster games like Crash Bandicoot 2, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, PaRappa the Rapper and Tomb Raider II. Then, of course, there was Final Fantasy VII, the game the caused the popularity of RPG's in the West to surge to levels never before seen, and helped kick-off an era of RPG dominance on consoles that would last into the mid 2000's. In many ways, the popularity of FF7 not only helped make RPG's popular in the U.S., but also started to change the perception of games as "kids toys" which was still dominant at that time. For many, FF7 was the first game with a "serious" story line they had ever played, and it helped prove that games could feature something more deep than just collect-a-thon platforming.

Subject: Re: Remembering 1997

Written By: 80sfan on 02/23/17 at 3:29 pm

One of the most fun years.....ever! Definitely in my top 5 of favorite years of my life!

Written By: violet_shy on 02/23/17 at 3:31 pm

Great music that year! I'm only posting one video

Et9b7LWfnxQ

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/23/17 at 5:14 pm

I remember this being all my dad would listen to in 1997.
zOzep-OOL-U

I love the hook part where it goes "Feel the viiiiibbbbbeee Feel the Presssuurrreee"

Written By: 2001 on 02/23/17 at 5:45 pm

Arguably the first year of my childhood  :-X

I really dug Hercules. That movie was phenomenal!

Jurassic Park 2 was also great #HatersGonnaHate.

The Mr. Bean movie was his peak!

Written By: 80sfan on 02/23/17 at 6:18 pm

The Lost World is a classic.  :-X  :-X  :-X

I bought a robot T-rex that was awesome! One of the best toys I've ever had.  8)

Written By: violet_shy on 02/24/17 at 3:15 pm

More 1997 music

hK5obmgq6u0  CRY7qt30vaw

Written By: 2001 on 02/24/17 at 6:02 pm

The Lost World is a classic.  :-X  :-X  :-X

I bought a robot T-rex that was awesome! One of the best toys I've ever had.  8)

I had a Godzilla toy but that was 1998  :-X

Great music that year! I'm only posting one video

This is a sick beat ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 02/25/17 at 1:37 am

Kq-r4ZUpels

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/25/17 at 2:01 pm

Arguably the first year of my childhood  :-X

I really dug Hercules. That movie was phenomenal!

Jurassic Park 2 was also great #HatersGonnaHate.

The Mr. Bean movie was his peak!

I always felt the same way about 1997. It was one of the first years of my life I can remember clearly, probably because it was the year I graduated from pre-K and started kindergarten.  ::)

I specifically remember seeing Hercules at the theater with my little neighborhood friend; ditto Anastasia, but not with my friend because he wasn't into girly movies.  :P

Written By: violet_shy on 02/26/17 at 4:08 pm

I was just an imprudent little girl in 1997. IMPRUDENT, lol. ;D I didn't care what I did even if there were consequences later. I had turned seventeen years old in '97 and thankfully I never did anything really stupid.  ::) 

I remember doing horribly in school, but so thankful I did stay with the class.

My parents gave me my very first CD player that Christmas. It was so exciting! :D First CD I played on it: Jamiroquai "Traveling without moving". I was one very happy girl! ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/27/17 at 11:07 am

The Men In Black theme song is really nostalgic. Haha I can't picture music of then without Usher though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/27/17 at 1:56 pm

1997 was also the year when Daria premiered on MTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_Rxqtq3ng

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/17 at 10:11 pm

I always felt the same way about 1997. It was one of the first years of my life I can remember clearly, probably because it was the year I graduated from pre-K and started kindergarten.  ::)

I specifically remember seeing Hercules at the theater with my little neighborhood friend; ditto Anastasia, but not with my friend because he wasn't into girly movies.  :P

Ooo, I loved Anastasia!

That reminds me, it was also the year Space Jam released on VHS, which is when I got to watch it. I'm pretty sure I had that movie on loop for practically the entire year. ;D

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/28/17 at 7:15 am

1997 was also the year when Daria premiered on MTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_Rxqtq3ng

Which continued the banter over on the usenet group "MTV Sucks" as they demoan over the continuing shrinkage of videos, along with even the cancellation of Beavis & Butthead, of which Daria was its successor which had NOTHING to do with music videos even from the start. I'll have to say, while the movies and video games of 1997 were epic, I still see 1997 as the year that pop music started to nosedive into the chasm that it has been, and I preferred the music that my parents played on the "oldies" station, back when it meant '50s through early-'70s music, not post-Nixon '70s-'90s music (and even an occasional early '00s song!) like it is now.

I also discovered Game Show Network when it not only had classic shows like a BUZZR does today, but more variety, including obscure/less seen shows like 3's A Crowd, Treasure Hunt, Ruckus, The Joker's Wild, and Tic Tac Dough. Win Ben Stein's Money was the cool new game show, and it even won an Emmy.

But its disheartening to hear "Semi-Charmed Life", "Wannabe", "Good Riddance", and "Tubthumping" play on some stations that were formerly "oldies" stations!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/28/17 at 8:03 am

Which continued the banter over on the usenet group "MTV Sucks" as they demoan over the continuing shrinkage of videos, along with even the cancellation of Beavis & Butthead, of which Daria was its successor which had NOTHING to do with music videos even from the start. I'll have to say, while the movies and video games of 1997 were epic, I still see 1997 as the year that pop music started to nosedive into the chasm that it has been, and I preferred the music that my parents played on the "oldies" station, back when it meant '50s through early-'70s music, not post-Nixon '70s-'90s music (and even an occasional early '00s song!) like it is now.

Damn. You must have hated Daria from the start to end with MTV's decisions. I think the opposite since I love Daria, while I don't like MTV's programming at all. I just liked of how I could relate to Daria, since most of my high school classmates are a pain in my ass to deal with.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/28/17 at 9:39 am

I also discovered Game Show Network when it not only had classic shows like a BUZZR does today, but more variety, including obscure/less seen shows like 3's A Crowd, Treasure Hunt, Ruckus, The Joker's Wild, and Tic Tac Dough. Win Ben Stein's Money was the cool new game show, and it even won an Emmy.

But its disheartening to hear "Semi-Charmed Life", "Wannabe", "Good Riddance", and "Tubthumping" play on some stations that were formerly "oldies" stations!

For me, personally, the 1996 Telecommunications Act really was one of the seeds that really hurt the music industry. But MTV starting in 1981 really made image extremely important. That might have been another cause-effect thingy. Sooner, or later, if you focus on image, the music slowly dies. Go further back, and you had disco, that really was flashy and image-based. Disco was described as shallow by some.

Maybe music becoming what it is today was a slow progression?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/28/17 at 10:27 am

For me, personally, the 1996 Telecommunications Act really was one of the seeds that really hurt the music industry. But MTV starting in 1981 really made image extremely important. That might have been another cause-effect thingy. Sooner, or later, if you focus on image, the music slowly dies. Go further back, and you had disco, that really was flashy and image-based. Disco was described as shallow by some.

Frankly for MTV, I could understand why they might have to focus more on image since the late 90s. But for Daria, they did put in licensed songs (which were later removed in the DVD release) for its original run. For me, I would die to look for a original VHS tape with a Daria episode on MTV. Considering I care more about its original programming than its music, I don't like MTV as much as anybody did in the 80s and early-mid 90s.

Written By: Encoder319 on 03/16/17 at 12:59 am

When I think of how 1997 "looked," this immediately comes to mind (especially the part of her dancing on the boat):

w3KOowB4k_k

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/17 at 8:57 pm

It was on this day in 1997, when US singer Jermaine Stewart died of cancer. (1986 UK No.2 single 'We Don't Have To...Take Our Clothes Off'). Also worked with Shalamar, The Temptations and Boy George.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 03/18/17 at 7:48 am

Though this may sound a little goofy to say, I also thought that the Columbine school shooting hurt the music industry, especially if you were into goth or industrial metal.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/18/17 at 9:31 am

Though this may sound a little goofy to say, I also thought that the Columbine school shooting hurt the music industry, especially if you were into goth or industrial metal.

I don't think the Columbine shooting hurt it that much. It caused controversy with several bands, but they weren't purposely promoting gun violence.

Written By: karen on 03/18/17 at 11:15 am

1997 I graduated with my masters from Loughborough University at the end of that year.

We moved house summer of '97, and I remember that we were driving to the tip (dump) with a car full of stuff and listening to the news on the radio.  The prime minister was talking about someone who had died unexpectedly and we were trying to work out who it was.  Just decided it was the Queen Mother when the announcer came back to say that the prime minister was speaking about Diana, Princess of Wales, who had died in the early hours.  What a shock!

BBC Children in Need single for this year was Perfect Day featuring about 20 different artistes, including Lou Reed, Bono, David Bowie, Elton John, Suzanne Vega, Tammy Wynette, Tom Jones amongst others.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/18/17 at 12:42 pm

I remember people blamed Marilyn Manson. I'm not sure what genre of music that goes into.
But rough and 'edgy' music really got a bad rap because of the Columbine shooting. So yeah, you're not completely wrong.

Music was still okay for me in April 1999, but by May, I started to notice a downturn in quality, but that's just me.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/18/17 at 12:43 pm

1997 I graduated with my masters from Loughborough University at the end of that year.

We moved house summer of '97, and I remember that we were driving to the tip (dump) with a car full of stuff and listening to the news on the radio.  The prime minister was talking about someone who had died unexpectedly and we were trying to work out who it was.  Just decided it was the Queen Mother when the announcer came back to say that the prime minister was speaking about Diana, Princess of Wales, who had died in the early hours.  What a shock!

BBC Children in Need single for this year was Perfect Day featuring about 20 different artistes, including Lou Reed, Bono, David Bowie, Elton John, Suzanne Vega, Tammy Wynette, Tom Jones amongst others.

You got your Masters around the time my mother got hers, about a year, or two off, from you.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/17 at 12:52 pm

Like you, my first real memory of 1997 is the death of Diana, Princess of Wales. That Sunday we was attending a friend and family occasion, which should have happy, but the news cast a shadow over it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/17 at 9:01 pm

Who will remember the anniversary that falls on March 31st?

Written By: exodus08 on 03/18/17 at 11:49 pm

Hercules was the best film of '97.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/17 at 4:43 am

Better than "Men In Black"?

Written By: karen on 03/19/17 at 9:29 am

Who will remember the anniversary that falls on March 31st?

You didn't strike me as a fan of Teletubbies

Written By: exodus08 on 03/19/17 at 9:40 am

Better than "Men In Black"?

To me YES.

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/17 at 12:14 pm

The soundtrack was fire! I would have the VHS playing and try to record it on cassette ;D

44LambNZgd4

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/17 at 6:36 am

It was on this day in 1997 when Liggett Group, the maker of Chesterfield cigarettes, settled 22 state lawsuits by admitting the industry marketed cigarettes to teenagers and agreed to warn on every pack that smoking is addictive.

Check for new replies or respond here...