inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1990s: The Age of Pizza Hut Dominance

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 03/19/17 at 5:36 pm

Have you noticed that you can mark time periods by the restaurants that were popular at the time, or by the phases that restaurants were in? When it comes to pizza in the 90s, I think this was the decade of Pizza Hut. It's still around and still pretty big, but doesn't seem to have the cultural presence it had back then. Anyone else remember their buffets, or the bigfoot pizza? It was pretty big and also thick, so you got a lot of pizza for a great price, and since the boomers had quite a few kids in the 90s and living room culture was still around, the bigfoot pizza was a good deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnwbES0MLxo

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phDAyOf6j1A

Was Domino's the pizza place of the 80s?

The early 2000s were more about Papa John's.

Subject: Re: 1990s: The Age of Pizza Hut Dominance

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/17 at 6:06 pm

Oh yes. I remember going there plenty of times in the '90s. It was usually attached to Burger Kings.  :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/17 at 6:13 pm

I don't think I ever ate pizza from Pizza Hut. I live in New York City, so I usually eat pizza from the local ones. The chain restaurants like Pizza Hut, Dominos, Little Caesar's, and Papa John's, don't really amuse many New Yorkers. It's usually advertised more towards people who don't have a lot of local pizzerias in their local county or state.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 6:17 pm

I don't think I ever ate pizza from Pizza Hut. I live in New York City, so I usually eat pizza from the local ones. The chain restaurants like Pizza Hut, Dominos, Little Caesar's, and Papa John's, don't really amuse many New Yorkers. It's usually advertised more towards people who don't have a lot of local pizzerias in their local county or state.

Wow, same here.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 03/19/17 at 6:18 pm

Wow, same here.

When I lived in Chicago, we'd go to local pizzerias. In Colorado, it was pizza chains. Cities with a tradition of lots of local restaurants have fewer chain restaurants.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/17 at 6:25 pm

Wow, same here.

Usually, local pizzerias are popular in metro cities like New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Atlantic City (New Jersey). Pizza chains on the other hand are usually popular in more suburban and rural areas.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 6:31 pm

Usually, local pizzerias are popular in metro cities like New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Atlantic City (New Jersey). Pizza chains on the other hand are usually popular in more suburban and rural areas.

NY and Chicago yes but not LA, Las Vegas and AC. Los Angeles is known for not having great local pizza and fast food pizza chains (like Pizza Hut and Dominos) are popular in LA and Southern California. Las Vegas is a tourist city and it doesn't really have any "local" pizza places. AC is pretty much the same as Las Vegas but New Jersey as a whole has great local pizza places. However, I do agree that fast food pizza chains are more popular in suburban and rural areas.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/17 at 6:42 pm

NY and Chicago yes but not LA, Las Vegas and AC. Los Angeles is known for not having great local pizza and fast food pizza chains (like Pizza Hut and Dominos) are popular in LA and Southern California. Las Vegas is a tourist city and it doesn't really have any "local" pizza places. AC is pretty much the same as Las Vegas but New Jersey as a whole has great local pizza places. However, I do agree that fast food pizza chains are more popular in suburban and rural areas.

Yeah, they're usually more popular with cities like New York and Chicago, as those cities have a rich history with Italian immigrants. Aside from that, I think pizza chains are just making imitation pizza, since they don't get the finest ingredients for it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 6:49 pm

Yeah, they're usually more popular with cities like New York and Chicago, as those cities have a rich history with Italian immigrants. Aside from that, I think pizza chains are just making imitation pizza, since they don't get the finest ingredients for it.

True.

Written By: Ripley on 03/19/17 at 8:26 pm

Have you noticed that you can mark time periods by the restaurants that were popular at the time, or by the phases that restaurants were in? When it comes to pizza in the 90s, I think this was the decade of Pizza Hut. It's still around and still pretty big, but doesn't seem to have the cultural presence it had back then. Anyone else remember their buffets, or the bigfoot pizza? It was pretty big and also thick, so you got a lot of pizza for a great price, and since the boomers had quite a few kids in the 90s and living room culture was still around, the bigfoot pizza was a good deal.

or

I do notice this! I like to mark time periods by both restaurants and businesses either not around anymore or not popular. And yeah Pizza Hut was at it's height in the 90's as well as being the biggest chain. I recall hearing the names of both Dominos and Little Caesar's. Though I don't recall ever eating either back then. In fact, it wasn't until 2006 when I was first living on my own that I remembered ordering delivery from Dominos. Sometime later for the later. Of the two I still like Dominos, just not as much as Pizza Hut. I don't like Caesar's at all. In fact, I like several smaller chains, mostly local, over everything but Pizza Hut. Anyhow, in the 2000's I'm going to say that Papa John's was #1 and and still is. I can't eat it though cause it's something in the sauce and or dough that makes me sick but I love the cheese bread! Though there were several other chains present, the only other one that was semi-popular was Sbarro. As for Dominos, I don't recall it being that popular in my prior years. I don't know, maybe it was in the 80's. But it seems to be much more popular now than I can remember. Very few Pizza Huts still have buffets now, not even for Salads. Also, when the stuffed cheese crust came out, that was great! Then they took it away. But it has been brought back on several occasions. And I do remember the Big Foot.

More about Pizza Hut. Some fond memories I have of them. The little white things, called Pizza Savers, that held the toppings down. My sister and I would use those as Barbie chairs. LOL. We would order pizza every Friday after renting videos at Blockbuster.  But I don't order as often now, maybe once every two months. Too many calories, too many carbs and the prices suck now. Except when they have good deals. But it still taste so much better than the rest!

Written By: Ripley on 03/19/17 at 8:27 pm

Is Sbarro still pretty popular there?

Written By: Ripley on 03/19/17 at 8:28 pm

When I lived in Chicago, we'd go to local pizzerias. In Colorado, it was pizza chains. Cities with a tradition of lots of local restaurants have fewer chain restaurants.

In my city were both about big chains and local. Not just for pizza but every other type of restaurant.

Written By: Ripley on 03/19/17 at 8:30 pm

I think pizza chains are just making imitation pizza, since they don't get the finest ingredients for it.

This is true lol

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 03/19/17 at 8:54 pm

I do notice this! I like to mark time periods by both restaurants and businesses either not around anymore or not popular. And yeah Pizza Hut was at it's height in the 90's as well as being the biggest chain. I recall hearing the names of both Dominos and Little Caesar's. Though I don't recall ever eating either back then. In fact, it wasn't until 2006 when I was first living on my own that I remembered ordering delivery from Dominos. Sometime later for the later. Of the two I still like Dominos, just not as much as Pizza Hut. I don't like Caesar's at all. In fact, I like several smaller chains, mostly local, over everything but Pizza Hut. Anyhow, in the 2000's I'm going to say that Papa John's was #1 and and still is. I can't eat it though cause it's something in the sauce and or dough that makes me sick but I love the cheese bread! Though there were several other chains present, the only other one that was semi-popular was Sbarro. As for Dominos, I don't recall it being that popular in my prior years. I don't know, maybe it was in the 80's. But it seems to be much more popular now than I can remember. Very few Pizza Huts still have buffets now, not even for Salads. Also, when the stuffed cheese crust came out, that was great! Then they took it away. But it has been brought back on several occasions. And I do remember the Big Foot.

More about Pizza Hut. Some fond memories I have of them. The little white things, called Pizza Savers, that held the toppings down. My sister and I would use those as Barbie chairs. LOL. We would order pizza every Friday after renting videos at Blockbuster.  But I don't order as often now, maybe once every two months. Too many calories, too many carbs and the prices suck now. Except when they have good deals. But it still taste so much better than the rest!

I haven't thought of those pizza saver thingies in a long time. They were there to keep the top of the box from smushing into the pizza if the pizzas were stacked, like for delivery. I can't remember what my brothers and I used to do with them, but I'm sure we found some use.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/17 at 8:56 pm

This has got me thinking, when did Pizza Hut introduce the continual visits to the salad bar and bottomless drinks?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 10:06 pm

Sbarro is not really popular but I haven't gone to Sbarro much in my lifetime. Going to a local pizzeria or deli (also called bodega) is still very popular here.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/19/17 at 10:10 pm

Too much truth in this writing. Also, it makes me hungry! :.drools:.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/19/17 at 10:16 pm

or

I think "Book it!" contributed to the Pizza Hut culture in the 90s.

I stopped eating Pizza Hut around 2013 when they changed it and it became much more greasy than it previously was.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 03/19/17 at 10:57 pm

This has got me thinking, when did Pizza Hut introduce the continual visits to the salad bar and bottomless drinks?

I was trying to find a proper answer to your question but couldn't. I remember the pitchers and the red glasses and the checker board table cloths, but I can't recall when repeat visits to the salad bar came about. However, I did find an interesting article on salad bar stacking in China.

http://kotaku.com/how-chinese-ingenuity-destroyed-salad-bars-at-pizza-hut-834835079

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/17 at 3:41 am

I was trying to find a proper answer to your question but couldn't. I remember the pitchers and the red glasses and the checker board table cloths, but I can't recall when repeat visits to the salad bar came about. However, I did find an interesting article on salad bar stacking in China.

http://kotaku.com/how-chinese-ingenuity-destroyed-salad-bars-at-pizza-hut-834835079
My wife had stacking to a fine art. Lettuce leaves to make the upper part of the bowl bigger, placed around with no gaps, bowl is bigger, more salad items within, and you carry the tomatoes back to your table in your other hand.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/20/17 at 5:44 am

I think it's just sitting there in a few locations at Manhattan. Not a lot of New Yorkers really care about Sbarro that much.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/20/17 at 7:19 am

I see Pizza Hut and Domino's as similar as Coke and Pepsi are. That said, Pizza Hut had its greatest growth during the '70s and '80s. 1978 was the year that it first cracked the Top 10 in terms of food operations in America with the highest revenues, and regional/national TV Ads began during the early-mid '70s. I feel that after the "Makin' It Great" slogan ended in the mid-90s, the Pizza Hut age was over (this is when Papa John's started to become popular and even grocery store pizza had improved its quality). That said, it's sad going on Google Maps and glancing at the star ratings for Pizza Hut and find that they average somewhere in the 2's, with the vast majority of reviews at many locations receiving the worst rating (1 out of 5), and most comments remark of TERRIBLE service at many locations, a far cry from the original concept as a standalone restaurant, and as is typical with certain legacy businesses that get outmoded, the quality of chefs just goes down the toilet!  8-P

Still, here is an interesting article about Pizza Hut's origins from a Wichita, KS restaurant in 1958. Note that the mission of the Carney brothers was to use all-natural ingredients in its recipe.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/discovering-pizza-hut-s-roots-wichita-kansas

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/20/17 at 10:25 am

I see Pizza Hut and Domino's as similar as Coke and Pepsi are. That said, Pizza Hut had its greatest growth during the '70s and '80s. 1978 was the year that it first cracked the Top 10 in terms of food operations in America with the highest revenues, and regional/national TV Ads began during the early-mid '70s. I feel that after the "Makin' It Great" slogan ended in the mid-90s, the Pizza Hut age was over as around this time (this is when Papa John's started to become popular). That said, it's sad going on Google Maps and glancing at the star ratings for Pizza Hut and find that they average somewhere in the 2's, with the vast majority of reviews at many locations receiving the worst rating (1 out of 5), and most comments remark of TERRIBLE service at many locations, a far cry from the original concept as a standalone restaurant, and as is typical with certain legacy businesses that get outmoded, the quality of chefs just goes down the toilet!  8-P

Still, here is an interesting article about Pizza Hut's origins from a Wichita, KS restaurant in 1958. Note that the mission of the Carney brothers was to use all-natural ingredients in its recipe.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/discovering-pizza-hut-s-roots-wichita-kansas

Well, fast food pizza chains aren't as natural as local pizzerias. Pizza Hut right now is the pizza equivalent to KFC, since it's not like their pizza tastes good. Much like them, they make really lame promotions on their products, to the point where no one gives a crap about them anymore.

Written By: Ripley on 03/20/17 at 10:36 am

I remember book it!!! And yeah, the service has gone down the crapper.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/20/17 at 11:25 am

This post resonates with me so much. To me there's nothing that screams "'90s childhood" more than those Friday nights staying over at my friend's or cousin's house. Place an order at Pizza Hut, dash over to Blockbuster to pick up a video to watch while we're waiting, stop back by Pizza Hut to pick up the pizza, then play some Super Nintendo while eating it, all before popping in the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie VHS we just rented and practicing our terrible karate moves. That's the '90s kid experience defined right there.

I do miss those days sometimes. :\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 03/20/17 at 12:27 pm

I have a pizza face!  :D  :D  :D

Written By: Howard on 03/20/17 at 2:35 pm

I don't see many Sbarros where I live. ???

Written By: Ripley on 03/20/17 at 4:02 pm

This post resonates with me so much. To me there's nothing that screams "'90s childhood" more than those Friday nights staying over at my friend's or cousin's house. Place an order at Pizza Hut, dash over to Blockbuster to pick up a video to watch while we're waiting, stop back by Pizza Hut to pick up the pizza, then play some Super Nintendo while eating it, all before popping in the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie VHS we just rented and practicing our terrible karate moves. That's the '90s kid experience defined right there.

I do miss those days sometimes. :\'(

I miss them dearly :(

Written By: Ripley on 03/20/17 at 4:03 pm

I have a pizza face!  :D  :D  :D

Really?  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/20/17 at 4:07 pm

Really?  ;D

No, not really!  ;D

Maybe at 14, or 15, though.  :(

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/20/17 at 7:46 pm

I know when I was a child we ALWAYS had a Pizza Hut Pizza at my Campfire Girls and Girl Scouts meetings. (1990-1997)

http://www.trbimg.com/img-53f647f8/turbine/sfl-fast-food-menu-items-that-have-been-phased-003

I vividly remember eating the Bigfoot Pizza.

Written By: nally on 03/20/17 at 7:46 pm

^ I remember TV ads for it.

Written By: Howard on 03/21/17 at 5:53 am

I know when I was a child we ALWAYS had a Pizza Hut Pizza at my Campfire Girls and Girl Scouts meetings. (1990-1997)

http://www.trbimg.com/img-53f647f8/turbine/sfl-fast-food-menu-items-that-have-been-phased-003

I vividly remember eating the Bigfoot Pizza.

I hope at least you shared?  ;)

Written By: Ripley on 03/21/17 at 9:13 pm

Let's all meet up at a Pizza Hut someday! 😁

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/21/17 at 9:52 pm

I hope at least you shared?  ;)

Of course!  ;D Sharing is Caring!

Written By: Howard on 03/22/17 at 7:01 am

Let's all meet up at a Pizza Hut someday! 😁

That would be a good idea.

Written By: aja675 on 04/11/17 at 4:03 am

I personally associate my 1998-99 memories with Shakey's Pizza instead and how they used to play the sheesh out of this song in their Centerpoint branch: KyGwVicyZAE

Written By: Howard on 04/11/17 at 3:57 pm

I think I see more Pizza Hut commercials lately on TV.

Written By: Dude111 on 04/19/23 at 7:22 am

I used to love thier pizza for 30+ years and in 2019 they changed it and it tastes like crap now and bothers my tummy!

Please everyone sign this petition to try and get them to bring the orgiinal recipe back!

www.change.org/p/pizza-hut-please-bring-back-the-old-pan-pizza-recipe

Its sad they had to me$$ with something that was working fine for many years.......

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/19/23 at 8:53 am

I used to love thier pizza for 30+ years and in 2019 they changed it and it tastes like crap now and bothers my tummy!

Please everyone sign this petition to try and get them to bring the orgiinal recipe back!

Its sad they had to me$$ with something that was working fine for many years.......

A grown man just said "tummy". I notice a lot of that now.  :o  :D

Written By: Howard on 04/19/23 at 3:15 pm

What was wrong with their pizza?

Written By: Dude111 on 04/19/23 at 3:46 pm

Nothing bud,they shouldnt have changed it!!!!

Originally Posted by Voiceofthe70s
A grown man just said "tummy". I notice a lot of that now.  :o  :D

I am mentally around 10 though so Maybe you can understand :)

Check for new replies or respond here...