inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: USA Cartoon Express

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/07/17 at 4:53 pm

Kids growing up in the '90s will remember that the decade was dominated by cartoon "blocks" on networks. Fox Kids, of course, had a morning and afternoon block at it's height in the mid '90s, while The Disney Afternoon was broadcast both on the Disney Channel and locally in syndication. TNT also had a morning cartoon block, with Kids WB! and Toonami becoming big later in the decade.

Though it is largely forgotten now, the "Cartoon Express" block on USA was actually one of the more popular blocks when I was in elementary school. CE actually started back in the '80s, but remained quite popular up until 1996, when it was discontinued. Initially, the block was mostly made up of older Hanna-Barbera cartoons like Yogi Bear and Johnny Quest, while, by the end of the '80s, it had come to include more contemporary shows like G.I. Joe, He-Man and Transformers.

By the time I really started watching the block in 1992, it had begun to undergo a transformation, focusing increasingly on action based cartoons. By 1994, reruns of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 dominated the block. CE transformed further in 1996 (by which point it was airing from 7-9 AM every morning), when it was re-branded as the USA Action Extreme Team, exclusively airing action content like Street Sharks, Gargoyles and (in a precursor to Toonami) Sailor Moon.

These are some bumpers and promos from when I used to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEzixpZpxFQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcmnJV2SuT4

I wonder, does anybody else here remember when USA actually used to air cartoons?

Subject: Re: USA Cartoon Express

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/07/18 at 12:34 pm

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog aired on USA around 1995. The other Sonic cartoon was also on USA in the late 90s if I recall.

Check for new replies or respond here...