inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Super Nintendo (SNES, Super NES) vs. Nintendo 64 (N64)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 2:05 pm

I'm back with another......DEATH BATTLE!!!!!

Which of these two '90s Nintendo video game consoles reigns supreme to you?

The Super Nintendo (SNES, Super NES), which was popular in the early to mid 1990s
http://media-cdn.timesfreepress.com/img/photos/2011/08/18/081911eNINTENDO.50_t755_hfde6ece5d841aee31c8c9e192819f521a2f9c856.JPG

OR

The Nintendo 64 (N64), which was popular in the late 1990s and very early 2000s
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/N64-Console-Set.png

CHOOSE WISELY OR GAME OVER! ;)

Subject: Re: Super Nintendo (SNES, Super NES) vs. Nintendo 64 (N64)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/13/17 at 2:46 pm

The N64 was totally the most radical video game console Nintendo had to offer at the time. Not only did it have great actual 64-bit graphics on cartridges, but it also had some of Nintendo's greatest games ever. If I were a 90s kid, I would love playing the N64 with Super Mario 64, Goldeneye 64, Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2, Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest, Paper Mario, Perfect Dark, and many others. The Super Nintendo is great, but the Sega Genesis sweeps the competition for most of the Super Nintendo's lifespan in my opinion.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 04/13/17 at 6:01 pm

I loved the Super Nintendo and it's my favorite video game system. In fact I still play it regularly.

The N64 was awesome too, though. Also, this video described well what the hype was like for the N64. Almost all of what he says I can relate to in 1996, even down to remembering the controls being for sale before the console, and obsessive things I did like spending hours daydreaming what the N64 would be like and, after I got one, not want to get fingerprints on the console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zstl-KRgeK0&t=1s

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 6:06 pm

I loved the Super Nintendo and it's my favorite video game system. In fact I still play it regularly.

The N64 was awesome too, though. Also, this video described well what the hype was like for the N64. Almost all of what he says I can relate to in 1996, even down to remembering the controls being for sale before the console, and obsessive things I did like spending hours daydreaming what the N64 would be like and, after I got one, not want to get fingerprints on the console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zstl-KRgeK0&t=1s

That's awesome. I was only born in '99 and I didn't get to see play with it.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 04/13/17 at 8:14 pm

That's awesome. I was only born in '99 and I didn't get to see play with it.

You can play SNES on an emulator.

Written By: 2001 on 04/13/17 at 8:16 pm

I grew up with N64, so it kind of has a special place on my heart. I have to admit though, the games didn't age well, and have been outdone many times over in later generations. That isn't the case with the SNES. I got to play many of its games too, and they're 2D perfection. All its best games still hold up really well today.

Overall, it's hard to pick. The N64 was amazing for its time, and I hate docking points for "outdated".

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 8:29 pm

You can play SNES on an emulator.

I know but it's not the same.

Written By: 2001 on 04/13/17 at 8:41 pm

I know but it's not the same.

You can plug in a USB controller and play that way. I played most my SNES games on emulator. It was really fun!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 8:44 pm

You can plug in a USB controller and play that way. I played most my SNES games on emulator. It was really fun!

I could do that but still. I want to play on an actual SNES. Also, to have the full experience I would have wanted to play the SNES in the years 1991-1995.

Written By: 2001 on 04/13/17 at 8:47 pm

I could do that but still. I want to play on an actual SNES. Also, to have the full experience I would have wanted to play the SNES in the years 1991-1995.

You could probably find a SNES USB controller online. You can't travel to the '90s though.  :-X The games still hold up well nonetheless, so there's not much of a difference in playing them in 2017 or 1994.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 8:50 pm

You could probably find a SNES USB controller online. You can't travel to the '90s though.  :-X The games still hold up well nonetheless, so there's not much of a difference in playing them in 2017 or 1994.

I know the games hold up...that's why I want to play the SNES ;D.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/17 at 5:23 am

I did the same thing with Nintendo games.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/14/17 at 10:31 am

I have a special place in my heart for both consoles. The Super Nintendo was the first console I ever owned, and the Nintendo 64 was my first 3D console. They both played a huge part in my childhood.

Having said that, I've got to go with the SNES. The N64 has a bunch of great games, don't get me wrong, but the SNES library is arguably the greatest of any console in video game history. I mean, you've got Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Kart, Earthbound, FF4, FF5, FF6, Tecmo Super Bowl, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Star Fox, Super Metroid, Legend of Mana, Link to the Past, and that's just to name a few.

As great as the N64 was, it's impossible to beat a lineup of games that impressive.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 11:32 am

I have a special place in my heart for both consoles. The Super Nintendo was the first console I ever owned, and the Nintendo 64 was my first 3D console. They both played a huge part in my childhood.

Having said that, I've got to go with the SNES. The N64 has a bunch of great games, don't get me wrong, but the SNES library is arguably the greatest of any console in video game history. I mean, you've got Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Kart, Earthbound, FF4, FF5, FF6, Tecmo Super Bowl, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Star Fox, Super Metroid, Legend of Mana, Link to the Past, and that's just to name a few.

As great as the N64 was, it's impossible to beat a lineup of games that impressive.

Nice. If only I got to play an SNES.....:\'(.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/16/17 at 1:28 pm

SNES overall. ::)
But of course N64 for wins for nostalgia, since that was my main Nintendo system as a kid! 8)

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/16/17 at 4:39 pm

Even though I grew up with the N64, and it still holds a special place in my childhood, I'm going to have to go with the SNES. Overall, the SNES has aged better (though there were also some games on the N64 that have aged well).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 4:44 pm

Even though I grew up with the N64, and it still holds a special place in my childhood, I'm going to have to go with the SNES. Overall, the SNES has aged better (though there were also some games on the N64 that have aged well).

I agree :).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 12:11 pm

I love both as they had amazing games, but I'm definitely going with the SNES. That console has so much to play on that one could never get bored. :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 12:15 pm

I love both as they had amazing games, but I'm definitely going with the SNES. That console has so much to play on that one could never get bored. :)

I also go with the SNES....."Now you're playing with SUPER POWER!".

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 12:25 pm

I also go with the SNES....."Now you're playing with SUPER POWER!".
I've seen those commercials. Nintendo was the bomb with them.  :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 12:30 pm

I've seen those commercials. Nintendo was the bomb with them.  :)

Yes, they were 8).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 12:41 pm

Yes, they were 8).
Did you at least play the SNES with your family when you were a kid?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 12:47 pm

Did you at least play the SNES with your family when you were a kid?

No, never had one but I want one badly :\'(.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 1:12 pm

No, never had one but I want one badly :\'(.
Are there any stores that sell old game consoles in your city?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 1:19 pm

Are there any stores that sell old game consoles in your city?

I don't even know. I do know that on Amazon you can still buy a SEGA Dreamcast and it costs about $100....I could buy a Dreamcast 8)....it came out in 1999 (just like me).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 1:23 pm

I don't even know. I do know that on Amazon you can still buy a SEGA Dreamcast and it costs about $100....I could buy a Dreamcast 8)....it came out in 1999 (just like me).
Do you have that kind of money?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 1:27 pm

Do you have that kind of money?

I'll just have to beg my mom and she'll eventually give up and agree to give me $100 ;D.

Written By: annimal on 04/17/17 at 1:27 pm

I'm going with the NES I grew up with. SNES was okay. N64 was starting to not be N

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 1:29 pm

I'll just have to beg my mom and she'll eventually give up and agree to give me $100 ;D.
Let's hope so.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 1:32 pm

Let's hope so.

She usually does....I also had to beg her to get her to buy my Xbox 360 and Xbox One :-X.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 1:53 pm

She usually does....I also had to beg her to get her to buy my Xbox 360 and Xbox One :-X.
And how did that work out?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 1:56 pm

And how did that work out?

I have both a Xbox 360 and Xbox One 8).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 2:14 pm

I have both a Xbox 360 and Xbox One 8).
which one do you play more?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 2:20 pm

which one do you play more?

My Xbox One but with my senior year....I don't have much time to play either of them.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 2:24 pm

My Xbox One but with my senior year....I don't have much time to play either of them.
How many games do you have?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 2:29 pm

How many games do you have?

About 10 games for my Xbox One and like 30-40 games for my Xbox 360.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 2:37 pm

About 10 games for my Xbox One and like 30-40 games for my Xbox 360.
I know that feeling. When I had the 360, I had lots of games (although most were demos >:() and the Xbone, I only had 2 (both were Assassin creed games after Ezio)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 2:39 pm

I know that feeling. When I had the 360, I had lots of games (although most were demos >:() and the Xbone, I only had 2 (both were Assassin creed games after Ezio)

Yeah....also the prices of video games have risen.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 2:42 pm

Yeah....also the prices of video games have risen.
I know. It f**kin sucks >:( >:(

That's why I haven't got lots of games (unless they're online) in the last few years and the consoles like a PS4, the 3DS or a Switch.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 2:43 pm

I know. It f**kin sucks >:( >:(

That's why I haven't got lots of games (unless they're online) in the last few years and the consoles like a PS4, the 3DS or a Switch.

True and one thing I also don't like about modern video games is that it takes 5 hours to download before you can play it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 2:48 pm

True and one thing I also don't like about modern video games is that it takes 5 hours to download before you can play it.
Yes! I hate that too, but it also depends on the size. Oh, and I hate that there's unnecessary DLC on almost every game.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 2:50 pm

Yes! I hate that too, but it also depends on the size. Oh, and I hate that there's unnecessary DLC on almost every game.

Yes, another annoyance is DLCs >:(.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 3:06 pm

Yes, another annoyance is DLCs >:(.
Yeah, but there are some that are good when it comes having extra levels, powers etc. and not when something COD likes to do.

Written By: Howard on 04/17/17 at 3:08 pm

They raised the price of some video games.

Written By: Howard on 04/17/17 at 3:09 pm

especially on wrestling games.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 3:12 pm

Yeah, but there are some that are good when it comes having extra levels, powers etc. and not when something COD likes to do.

I mean yeah that is true.

They raised the price of some video games.

Yeah I know and they shouldn't have :(.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 3:47 pm

especially on wrestling games.
Too much space or unnecessary DLC?

I mean yeah that is true.
Yeah. Hopefully that makes a comeback soon. I want to see good DLC like old games did with expansion packs.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 4:05 pm

Yeah. Hopefully that makes a comeback soon. I want to see good DLC like old games did with expansion packs.

Yes, I agree.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/17 at 3:14 pm

Too much space or unnecessary DLC?

unnecessary DLC.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/19/17 at 9:43 am

That's what I love so much about old school gaming. When I hook up my Super Nintendo, I can just pop Super Mario World in the console, turn it on, and start playing the game in less than 10 seconds. I miss when things were that simple.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 11:56 am

That's what I love so much about old school gaming. When I hook up my Super Nintendo, I can just pop Super Mario World in the console, turn it on, and start playing the game in less than 10 seconds. I miss when things were that simple.

Yes, a little bit younger than you ;)....so instead of a SNES....I have a PS2. When I put a disc into my PS2 and turn it on.....in 30 seconds or less I'm playing the game.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/19/17 at 12:11 pm

Yes, a little bit younger than you ;)....so instead of a SNES....I have a PS2. When I put a disc into my PS2 and turn it on.....in 30 seconds or less I'm playing the game.

That's true about the PS2. It only takes a few seconds to start playing a game, and it doesn't have all of the annoying tutorial/DLC/install download/online stuff that I hate about modern gaming. That's a big reason why I see the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era as the last "old school" period in gaming.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 12:15 pm

That's true about the PS2. It only takes a few seconds to start playing a game, and it doesn't have all of the annoying tutorial/DLC/install download/online stuff that I hate about modern gaming. That's a big reason why I see the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era as the last "old school" period in gaming.

Me too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/19/17 at 12:15 pm

Do you still have any old consoles? I wish I did :\'(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/19/17 at 12:28 pm

I still have all my old consoles. NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, and even a Magnavox Odyssey 2 I found at a yard sale. I'm something of a retro gaming collector.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 12:31 pm

I still have all my old consoles. NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, and even a Magnavox Odyssey 2 I found at a yard sale. I'm something of a retro gaming collector.

Damn, you're lucky bruv. The oldest console I have is my PS2 :(. I might buy a SEGA Dreamcast from Amazon though.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/19/17 at 12:37 pm

Damn you're lucky man. I had to unfortunately get rid of all of them >:( >:(

The only ones I have is a 360, One, and PS3. It's just not the same with emulators which I used a few years ago.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 12:41 pm

The only ones I have is a 360, One, and PS3. It's just not the same with emulators which I used a few years ago.

Yeah, emulators just aren't the same.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/19/17 at 1:46 pm

That sucks. :(

I almost sold my Nintendo 64 and all of my games for it back in 2005 to help pay for a PSP. Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't make that mistake. ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/19/17 at 1:46 pm

SNES is the greatest. How can any sane man pick the N64 over the mighty SNES!?!?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 1:48 pm

SNES is the greatest. How can any sane man pick the N64 over the mighty SNES!?!?

Some people are insane....like me :D.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/19/17 at 1:50 pm

Some people are insane....like me :D.

I assume you like the N64 better. :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 1:53 pm

I assume you like the N64 better. :P

Yes....:-X.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/19/17 at 1:54 pm

Yeah, emulators just aren't the same.
Yeah especially since you can't play with friends.

That sucks. :(

I almost sold my Nintendo 64 and all of my games for it back in 2005 to help pay for a PSP. Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't make that mistake. ;D
Luckily for me though, I can get them all back since there are stores in my city that sell old game consoles including the 7th generation ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxql4MddLs0

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 1:56 pm

mach!ne_he@d...I have a PSP? Is that bad? :(

Written By: Howard on 04/19/17 at 4:59 pm

Now consoles seem so complicated.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/19/17 at 5:00 pm

I have a PS3.  :P

Written By: Howard on 04/19/17 at 5:25 pm

I do have a Gameboy.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/20/17 at 9:23 am

mach!ne_he@d...I have a PSP? Is that bad? :(

Not unless you sold off some of your video game collection to get it like I did. :\'(

When did you get a PSP? Those were really expensive when they first launched (like $300). You were lucky if you got your parents to get you one of those as a kid.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/17 at 9:55 am

Not unless you sold off some of your video game collection to get it like I did. :\'(

When did you get a PSP? Those were really expensive when they first launched (like $300). You were lucky if you got your parents to get you one of those as a kid.

I got mine in 2006 and yeah it did cost $300. I guess I was lucky....:).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/20/17 at 10:14 am

I got mine in 2006 and yeah it did cost $300. I guess I was lucky....:).

I got my PSP in April 2005 just a few weeks after it launched. Even though it ultimately wound up getting destroyed by the Nintendo DS in sales, the PSP was awesome when it first launched. The fact that you could play games, watch movies and listen to music all on the same system was revolutionary back in 2005, in an age before smartphones.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/17 at 10:22 am

I got my PSP in April 2005 just a few weeks after it launched. Even though it ultimately wound up getting destroyed by the Nintendo DS in sales, the PSP was awesome when it first launched. The fact that you could play games, watch movies and listen to music all on the same system was revolutionary back in 2005, in an age before smartphones.

I know and that's why I got one. The original version of the PSP were thick and clunky (mine definitely was). I had so many good memories with my PSP 8).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 6:22 pm

Classic commercial! 8) 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K783SDTBKmg

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 6:31 pm

Classic commercial! 8) 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K783SDTBKmg

An iconic commercial. 1999 was a great year for video games (though not as good as 1998) and a great year because I was born 8).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 6:37 pm

An iconic commercial. 1999 was a great year for video games (though not as good as 1998) and a great year because I was born 8).
I know! There were so many great games, unlike today. I wish it was like that right now.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/30/17 at 10:00 am

I've played both growing up. My older cousin had a SNES, and most of my friends from school had N64. Due to nostalgia purposes they both win, although N64 wins slightly though. Objectively though I think we can all agree the SNES was Nintendo's greatest console of all time. It had the most diverse lineup of Nintendo titles and was a financial success for the company!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/30/17 at 12:23 pm

I've played both growing up. My older cousin had a SNES, and most of my friends from school had N64. Due to nostalgia purposes they both win, although N64 wins slightly though. Objectively though I think we can all agree the SNES was Nintendo's greatest console of all time. It had the most diverse lineup of Nintendo titles and was a financial success for the company!

I agree 100%.

Check for new replies or respond here...