inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oasis

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/17/17 at 10:32 am

It's ashamed that nobody seems to remember Oasis anymore these days. They were easily in my top 5 '90s rock groups, but even in many '90s nostalgia discussions I don't see their names come up.

For those that weren't around back then, Oasis was actually the biggest rock band in the world in 1996. They had no fewer than four major hits that year (Some Might Say, Champagne Supernova, Wonderwall and Don't Look Back in Anger), and played in front of 250,000 at Knebworth in August. At the time, rock was still reeling from the death of Kurt Cobain, and looking for a true "leading act", a role that Oasis seemed destined to fill. The music press already had dubbed Britpop as the "new" Grunge. Then it all came crashing down. They put out the disappointing Be Here Now in 1997, and the feud between Noel and Liam Gallagher quickly began to tear the band apart. By 1999, they were largely an afterthought.

Subject: Re: Oasis

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 04/17/17 at 11:58 am

It's ashamed that nobody seems to remember Oasis anymore these days. They were easily in my top 5 '90s rock groups, but even in many '90s nostalgia discussions I don't see their names come up.

For those that weren't around back then, Oasis was actually the biggest rock band in the world in 1996. They had no fewer than four major hits that year (Some Might Say, Champagne Supernova, Wonderwall and Don't Look Back in Anger), and played in front of 250,000 at Knebworth in August. At the time, rock was still reeling from the death of Kurt Cobain, and looking for a true "leading act", a role that Oasis seemed destined to fill. The music press already had dubbed Britpop as the "new" Grunge. Then it all came crashing down. They put out the disappointing Be Here Now in 1997, and the feud between Noel and Liam Gallagher quickly began to tear the band apart. By 1999, they were largely an afterthought.

I wonder if the disappointment around Be Here Now was really about the album or just because the times were changing and, with them, musical sensibilities. It wasn't as great as their previous album, but few decades had the kind of synergy seen in the 60s where the Beatles could dominate for so many years.

I doubt even Nirvana would have been very popular past 95 or 96 had Kurt Cobain lived.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/17/17 at 12:10 pm

I wonder if the disappointment around Be Here Now was really about the album or just because the times were changing and, with them, musical sensibilities. It wasn't as great as their previous album, but few decades had the kind of synergy seen in the 60s where the Beatles could dominate for so many years.

I think it was probably a combination of both. Nu Metal was starting to become increasingly popular by late 1997, so Britpop wasn't exactly in step with the direction rock was heading in.

On the other hand, the music press hyped up Be Here Now to levels that would make O.K. Computer blush. Many magazines felt like they had "missed the boat" with Oasis' previous album (What's The Story, Morning Glory?) by giving it mediocre ratings, and they didn't want to make that mistake again, so they overhyped Be Here Now to absurd proportions. Some even said that it would be the next Sgt. Peppers. There really was no way that any album could live up to that level of hype.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/17/17 at 12:10 pm

I only know of Oasis because 3T covered "Wonderwall" during their first tour.
Took me three years to find out it was a cover and not an original song to my band.  ::)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 12:16 pm

The only song from Oasis that I like is "Wonderwall". Other than that....their music is just not for me :-X.

Written By: 2001 on 04/17/17 at 1:24 pm

There music is kind of... "slow" compared to the faster hardcore sound I prefer.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 1:30 pm

There music is kind of... "slow" compared to the faster hardcore sound I prefer.  ;D

Same ;D.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/17/17 at 3:14 pm

Based on the reactions to them I've heard over the years, they're very much a "love it or hate it" kind of band. :P

Written By: 80sfan on 04/17/17 at 3:34 pm

The big egos in the band stagnated the progress of the band to become bigger. Their song Wonder Wall is amazing.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/17/17 at 6:15 pm

I don't mind Oasis. Admittedly, I don't own any of their albums, however I really like "Some Might Say", "Champagne Supernova", "Morning Glory" and "Don't Look Back in Anger". I like "Wonderwall" as well, however I think it is quite overrated and I personally don't think it's their best single. To be honest, I think Oasis are often unfairly criticised. I understand that they treated their fans like crap and the Gallagher brothers were always in dispute with each other, but their songs were well produced and despite the fact that they were heavily influenced by The Beatles, they were still talented and had good songwriting skills.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/17/17 at 6:53 pm

In August 1995, there was an epic showdown between Oasis and their arch-rivals Blue over which group would top the UK Singles Chart with the lead single for each band's respective upcoming album. In the end, Blur's hilarious "Country House" defeated Oasis' poppy "Roll with It," but Oasis outmatched Blur in the long run. Blur never achieved crossover success in America aside from "Girls & Boys" and "Song 2" doing well on the Modern Rock Songs chart, while Oasis' "Wonderwall," "Champagne Supernova," and, to a lesser extent, "Don't Look Back in Anger," became some of the more recognizable rock songs in the United States in 1996, despite Seattle not quite giving out yet at the time. Meanwhile, from the release of their sophomore album (What's the Story) Morning Glory until the onset of Spicemania with the release of "Wannabe" in July 1996, Oasis were as enormous in Great Britain as the Beatles had been in 1964. Actually, while Be Here Now officially killed off their international appeal, Oasis continued to be commercially successful in the UK through their disbandment in 2009, scoring four #1's post-Be Here Now and quite a few others that charted in the top 5.

Written By: Ripley on 04/18/17 at 12:35 am

Champagne Supernova is my favorite song of theirs. And it was only released in America.

Check for new replies or respond here...